Trending Games | Swordsman | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,780 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,175,499
CCP Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 05/06/03)  | Pub:CCP Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Linux | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

EVE Online Forum » Jita (General) » Looking for some help with changing the controls.

11 posts found
  adam_nox

Hard Core Member

OP  11/02/12 10:42:03 PM#1

I would like a way to manually pilot my ship, outside of double clicking around empty space.  Is there a way to set it up so it's more like earth and beyond was, or any mmo where your ship will turn as you move the mouse.

Also, maybe move forward or increase velocity with W, stop with S, I assume just using keybinds can do that.

And finally, need a way to 'target nearest enemy', and 'lock on' and 'fire all weapons', preferrably all on the same key, but anything but all this mouse clicking would be good.  Also, I don't know why my ship constantly moves after an enemy it was orbitting is dead.  Why doesn't it just stop?

Okay and looting, would be nice if my ship would stop near the wreckage rather than coasting about, or maybe a hotkey to loot nearest I can hit after killing a ship before I get too far out of range would be nice. 

I'm new, so to some people this stuff is going to seem easy or unecessary, but right now it feels like a tedius mess of windows and mouse clicks, like a browser game with fancy graphics hidden behind UI windows.  Help me fix this up, play it right, etc.

Woopin

Apprentice Member

11/02/12 10:45:19 PM#2
In short "No"

mrputts

Elite Member

11/02/12 10:49:43 PM#3
It' can't be done. Enjoy Screensavers and Spreadsheets Space addition.

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

Nicoli

Novice Member

Nicoli VoldkifTalia VoldkifEVE-Online

11/03/12 9:46:45 AM#4

well there are a couple of shortcuts that can help on some of those things.

Weapons can be grouped to that they all fire as one weapon. This must be done when they aren't loaded with ammo and the weapons must be exactly the same they can't be different meta levels. Assuming that is the case you can shift+drag the icon in the fitting window onto another weapon and it will create a group. You can continue to add weapons to the group by dragging more onto any weapon already in the group.

As for lock on you can just ctrl+click the target in space or on the overview to start locking.

Yalexy

Advanced Member

11/03/12 10:39:34 AM#5

EvEs combat relies on the mechanics of orbit, approch and keep at range. Shooter-style controls where left out by decision and not by mistake. So no, you can't change the controls to what you want it to be.

Just adapt to the three types of the mentioned automated piloting-options and use them with keybindings to make the combat more enjoyable. Also start using keybinds for fire all guns (weapon-grouping!), release/scoop/attack drones, full throttle, full stop, etc help to make the combat more enjoyable.

adam_nox

Hard Core Member

OP  11/03/12 11:55:11 AM#6
Originally posted by Nicoli

well there are a couple of shortcuts that can help on some of those things.

Weapons can be grouped to that they all fire as one weapon. This must be done when they aren't loaded with ammo and the weapons must be exactly the same they can't be different meta levels. Assuming that is the case you can shift+drag the icon in the fitting window onto another weapon and it will create a group. You can continue to add weapons to the group by dragging more onto any weapon already in the group.

As for lock on you can just ctrl+click the target in space or on the overview to start locking.

thanks but when you have several enemies around you, and they are just tiny blips on the screen, and you can't tell if the one the camera is actually pointed at is the closest one you want to target, it gets real tedius. 

As for 'shooter-style controls'  EnB wasn't a shooter.  MMO style controls would be cool though, rather than facebook style controls (sorry, had to go there).

StanlyStanko

Novice Member

11/03/12 11:57:22 AM#7
It plays like a naval simulation, not what you're asking for.
  Tuyet

Advanced Member

11/03/12 3:54:17 PM#8

Not sure if this will be any help as i've only been playing eve for 10 days or so. But sounds like you need to understand and use the "Overview" window more ( top right of screen). You can set up 5 tabs, say with one tab for just stargates, one for enemy ships, one for everything, etc.....  personally i find just clicking on targets in the overview window is easier overall -- same for looting, just click on the container, click on approach, and click on loot when in range. I'm new as i said but sort of looks like with all the electronic gadgets on ships, they can mess with your targetting and so its sort of patience and make sure your targetting the right ship, I have to unlock targets off and on as they seem to like to bait you into traps.

Gdemami

Elite Member

11/04/12 5:11:21 AM#9

Originally posted by adam_nox

I'm new, so to some people this stuff is going to seem easy or unecessary

You hit the nail on the head. Things you are asking are nto only unnecessary, they make little sense.

If I can give you advice, learn how the game works first before you start asking to change it to your liking...

Eluwien

Novice Member

11/16/12 2:30:42 AM#10
Originally posted by adam_nox

I would like a way to manually pilot my ship, outside of double clicking around empty space.  Is there a way to st it up so it's more like earth and beyond was, or any mmo where your ship will turn as you move the mouse. Also, maybe move forward or increase velocity with W, stop with S, I assume just using keybinds can do that.

And finally, need a way to 'target nearest enemy', and 'lock on' and 'fire all weapons', preferrably all on the same key, but anything but all this mouse clicking would be good.  Also, I don't know why my ship constantly moves after an enemy it was orbitting is dead.  Why doesn't it just stop?

Okay and looting, would be nice if my ship would stop near the wreckage rather than coasting about, or maybe a hotkey to loot nearest I can hit after killing a ship before I get too far out of range would be nice. 

I'm new, so to some people this stuff is going to seem easy or unecessary, but right now it feels like a tedius mess of windows and mouse clicks, like a browser game with fancy graphics hidden behind UI windows.  Help me fix this up, play it right, etc.

Group your weapons as explained, move the icon right side of your capacitor to f.ex. F5. Move all other usable mods to F1-F4. Right click capacitor => Hide passive mods.

Hit esc, go to keyboard shortcuts, adjust:

Full speed ahead! = W    or Accelerate = W (prefer full speed for maximum throttle)

Stop Ship = S   (or Decelerate = S)

Activate High Power Slot 5 = Mouse 3 (You need mouse 1 & 2 for menu usage)

Currently approach = A, Warp = S, Jump = D, Orbit = W. bind them to nearby keys as you see fit. There is a key for "open loot" button, when it is active and target is right type, just bind that too. Right click the Orbit At Range button (at selected target options normally top right) and set orbit at range = YourOptimalRange -1km, always orbit inside your optimal, unless you know you should not (such as Vaga & Minmatar falloff ships)

Currently Control+Mouse1+Click name at overview = Target. Shift+Control+Mouse1+click target = untarget. Map into mouse keys, or near WASD. Now clicking name in overview targets them.

Currenlty control+r = Reloads, bind elsewhere if you wish. Better yet, create macro for it that reload button is pressed when the white pixels that show "ammo left" turn black, voilá = auto reload.

Check Drone shortcuts if they apply to you. If you use only 1 group of drones (most ships), you can create macro that right clicks the group and clicks at launch, bind to keyboard. Note that the group must be visible, so when you undock you have to open group view on drone window.

If you are in fleets and they use broadcasts (as everyone should), create mouse region macro "target latest broadcast target". (Also note the bloadcast-targetted key, for you to broadcast your target to the fleet.)

Use mouse software that came with your mouse to bind E (or mouse 4, what ever) = Doubleclick mouse 1, if possible give it maximum repeat speed.

Minimize all windows other than overview, local and capacitor circle. Remove local from your other chats, place it at the edge of your screen vertically, you only need to see names, so drag it so that you see as little as possible of the chat region. Eve log removes its history when you jump systems, unless its open. Open it, place it together with Local, but behind it. = Easy acces to fight history that stays even if you jump.

Create overview tab that has only ships (nothing else), with removed type = friendlies. Arrange the tab by range. Create mouse macro that doubleclicks at the pixel area of the top row of this tab, suddenly = target nearest enemy button. (why the hell you need one is beyond me). Create tab for celestials, drones, friendlies and stations, so you get better control over your overview. If you wish you can create mouse macro that click the tab selection region and bind them to F1-F4 or something, add there a target click on nearest station f.ex. and why not add warp key spam to it so you can escape with single click. Add brackets for speed, and angular velocity, so you can tell if enemy is moving, MWd'ing and all those things angular velocity should tell you.

Enable camera controls from esc menu

Now use your mouse to guide the camera to give the view you wish, hold in E (aka doubleclick spam) to basicly move your ship to the direction your cursor points at all times. Release E to control menu, launch drones, target and what not. 

Now you have turned EVE online to mouse guided fly sim, where you control its actions mostly by keyboard

ProTip: When you approach a wreck with the purpose of looting it, hit control+space (or stop ship shortcut) at 4km if slowboating, or at 10km if MWD'ing, to stop just next to the looting range.

ProTip 2: Bind 25 repetitions of "zoom out" to a key to get shortcut for max zoom out, and 6-12 clicks of zoom in (cant' remember),  to get back to desired "casual view" range. Bind them to same key, switch macro at each press for toggle-effect. This teaches your mind to learn your relative distance from your ship, so your camera pan moves become standard.

ProTip 3: Use tactical overlay (control+d default) to get quick relative distance and position view.

WHO - Online 08-10
WoW - Online since launch.
LOTR-O - Online 06-08
EVE - Online 07-Now
DAoC - Online 01-Now
Also played : AC, EQ, EQ2, DDO,
Cabal, D&L, GW, LA2, Ryzom
Shaiya, SWG, Allods
Waiting : DAoC2

Komandor

Apprentice Member

11/21/12 4:17:28 AM#11
Originally posted by mrputts
It' can't be done. Enjoy Screensavers and Spreadsheets Space addition.

HAHAHA LOL great analogy

Keep on rockin'!