Trending Games | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2 | WildStar | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,787,717 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,193,382
CCP Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 05/06/03)  | Pub:CCP Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Linux | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

EVE Online Forum » Jita (General) » What is it about EVE that keeps people playing?

9 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Search
169 posts found
  johnjec

Novice Member

OP  10/23/12 8:07:59 PM#121
Let me ask this. Where does a rookie start? Is there a site that offers all of the information I will ever need or does that not exist? When I start the game, am I turly aone? Like me against the world until I ally with someone? Just want to know if there is somewhere I can go to learn before actully embarking aimlessly. Thanks.
  Robokapp

Elite Member

The only luck I had today was to have you as my opponent.

10/23/12 8:15:16 PM#122

well quite the contrary. you'll be in a fairly high-population system. At least i was as Amarr.

you're dead-center in the middle of the safest highest-security system that your faction owns. Like the ...'emperor's throne homeworld'.

exactly where you start...randomly in space in that system. due to how warping vs flying works, it can be just about anywhere.

Eve's map is basically highest security in middle, surrounded by a strip of low-security systems, and the edges of the universe on all sides are the no-security zones.

so you start very centrally, and often the starting systems are very close - if not themselves - big trading hubs.

why is Jita a system with 2000 players in it at any time? at one point many years ago a bunch of players decied that's the system they want to conduct business in. Any other system worked fine, this one was jsut very close to their interests as well as to Caldari starting zone.

you start by default in a NPC corp with other players who arent in a player corp. But I, and probably all of us here, reccomend finding a player corp early. the ammount of information that you can absorb just by listening to them chat is endless. Things you'd never think about searching on your own. There's various nebie-training corps in EVE, and high-end pvp alliances like to have their own newbie-training corps too. Everyone needs +1 pilots in his fleet. :D

jackocomp

Novice Member

In the Begining We Lived Like The Animals and For Some nothing Has Changed

10/23/12 8:34:18 PM#123

Having played EVE for more than 6 years I think EVE has become very stagnent & lacking in new content for players that have played for more than a few months.

Why do I keep playing? Well I play now mainly for the social interaction & the great fights we still have once or twice a week. If not for these 2 things I would of already done what many have & are still doing. Leave the game for better cheaper pastures.

Personally at this time I wouldn't recommend EVE to even my worst enemies, the gameplay has become boring & any new content that is being brought into the game is more often than not aimed at New Players rather than the older Vets etc.

As for the skills, There was an article a few years back where one of the developers said it would take in excess of 25 years to train ALL the available skills to level 5 on a single character. Luckily there is no single character that would need or want to have all the available skills trained to level 5 on the one character. This is because some of the skills would be of no use at all to some players that are not using the aspects of the game that require those skills. (eg. Industry based gameplay character has little use for being able to fly & use all the ships in the game, where a PVP based character would)

A new players character starting from scratch will take at least a few months before they can effectively fly a lot of the bigger ships as flying to the ship requires the use of weapons & other modules that are installed onto the ship to help it work & do the things you want it to do. When people I talk to ask I often tell them it wil take about 6 months before they will be able to use the better modules & ships etc.

Penalties for dying in EVE can be very harsh, as any ship that is destroyed is gone forever & anything that was in or installed on the ship also has a high chance of being destroyed or if not destroyed taken by other players from the ships wreck (Looting & salvaging). If a player has failed to keep their Medical Clone up to date for the amount of skillpoints the character has & the character is POD Killed also the character WILL lose a certain amount of SkillPoints from the highest level skill the player has trained. To get them back the player has to re-train the skill which can take more than a month to do depending on the skill. It's easy to avoid having this happen by just keeping a Med Clone up to date which can cost anything from just under 1 million ISK to over 120 million ISK. 

There are a whole heap of other issues within the game as well that range from groups of players using illegal code to bypass other players security at things like POS's etc. (POS = Player Owned Structure, looks like a stick in space with a bubble around it) to the same groups of players doing other crap like DDOS attacks on TeamSpeak servers etc

The multiple account part is because in EVE it can be very hard to move certain ships without 2nd characters, a lot of people also have their accounts setup where they have one account for their industrial stuff, another one or 5 for their PVP stuff & others for things like Planetary Interaction etc.

As for being stuck in a space ship, well in a lot of MMO's where your not just a walking character your stuck inside something. eg. Need For Speed World = stuck in a car, World of Tanks = Stuck in Tank, World of WarPlanes = Stuck in Plane etc etc etc.

If your thinking of trying the game make use of the FREE Trial, but understand that the system requirements for EVE are quite high when compared to most other MMO's, & although slower systems will run the game you will always be at a disadvantage if it takes too long to load solar system etc when your moving around in space.

NEW PLAYERS please check your system requirements are right & remember that EVE is very resource intensive at times.

Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

10/23/12 8:38:24 PM#124
Originally posted by Loktofeit
Originally posted by mastersomrat
While I enjoy the epicness of EVE's size, to go from one side of EVE's universe to the other with the most advance ship would still take daysssss. 

I'm not even going to ask why you have a need to travel the width of the universe with any amount of regularity (or even at all), but if you give me your start and end points and I'll show you how to get to your destination in under 45 minutes.

Without moving through lowsec?

"In these forums 'honest' seems to be a symonym for 'hates the game just like I do'" - ohioastro
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Robokapp

Elite Member

The only luck I had today was to have you as my opponent.

10/23/12 8:52:08 PM#125
Originally posted by Kyleran
Originally posted by Loktofeit
Originally posted by mastersomrat
While I enjoy the epicness of EVE's size, to go from one side of EVE's universe to the other with the most advance ship would still take daysssss. 

I'm not even going to ask why you have a need to travel the width of the universe with any amount of regularity (or even at all), but if you give me your start and end points and I'll show you how to get to your destination in under 45 minutes.

Without moving through lowsec?

it's possible, but systems that jump straight from high-sec to null-sec are the most violent systems imaginable.

HED and EC- are two I know of.

the 'stuck in ship' comment...my wow character is stuck in his armor. what's the difference? I can fly without a ship in my pod, I can run around without armor in my undies. /shrug.

one more thing before I stop hugging this topic:

here's a very oldl video of pvp...newbie pvp. less-than-one-week players basically. sounds and graphics may be very different now but the general idea is clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y8MBJ-aeEI

he engaged 1 v 3, wasn't pointed, he could've ran out, chose to turn off his armor rep and ... that many bad decisions can only lead one way.

more realistically a fight will look more like this - at semi-newbie level. except without the horrible UI all over the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9aOhSBhgsw

daltanious

Elite Member

10/24/12 1:02:01 AM#126
Originally posted by haplo602
The endless options at your disposal. I am playing on and off since 2005. I have yet to do about half the content available.

And what EXACTLY are - name at least few of them - this "endless" options.. Tried I think 3 times for few days each time (having nothing else to do or because of fans, just to try) but all was just boring mining and traveling. Actually leveling have been occuring when offline.

Malcanis

Advanced Member

"A very special kind of stupidity"

10/24/12 3:22:01 AM#127
Originally posted by daltanious
Originally posted by haplo602
The endless options at your disposal. I am playing on and off since 2005. I have yet to do about half the content available.

And what EXACTLY are - name at least few of them - this "endless" options.. Tried I think 3 times for few days each time (having nothing else to do or because of fans, just to try) but all was just boring mining and traveling. Actually leveling have been occuring when offline.

Several large but non comprehensive lists have been produced, including in this very thread.

EVE's basic problem (as far as many people seem to be concerned) is that if a player wants to be told that's he's an awesomesauce famous $PROFESSION, he'll have to actually be an awesomesauce at whatever it is. NPCs won't suck up to you just for logging in, and no-one would care if they did. You have to make it happen.

In short, what did you try to be? Sounds like you just tried to mine in hi-sec and wait for someone to tell you to collect 10 rat tails in order to level up towards being awesomesauce.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Karahandras

Apprentice Member

All it takes for evil to succeed is for the good to stand by and do nothing

10/28/12 12:36:50 PM#128
Originally posted by johnjec
Let me ask this. Where does a rookie start?  You start in high sec, reletively speaking the safest systems in eve(griefing is no longer alowed in the very beginner systems).  Is there a site that offers all of the information I will ever need or does that not exist? Eve has plenty of sites available to look up, start by reading the in game tutorials when they come up and google any extra info you need.  Also looking up the scanning tutorial on youtube is a good idea aswell as downloading isk the guide.  When I start the game, am I turly aone?  There will be plenty of people in high sec. Like me against the world until I ally with someone?   You'll always be in a corp in eve, if not a player corp then an npc one.  But that doesn't mean you'll be safe:).  Just want to know if there is somewhere I can go to learn before actully embarking aimlessly. Thanks.

I would suggest trying the free trial.  Do the career agent missions and then do the sisters of eve arc(in arnon) to get you going then look up guides/info depending on what you want to do ingame.

genkisel

Advanced Member

10/31/12 2:50:54 AM#129
The reason I keep going back is the community of friends I've built up over the years, and the fact that I can leave for 6 months come back and things be different.

"Its Hot Drop-o-Clock" Clear Skies 3.

Evgireon

Apprentice Member

11/03/12 10:07:35 PM#130
Ganking and griefing \m/
  M1sf1t

Novice Member

11/12/12 2:27:19 PM#131

Originally posted by Uhwop

Originally posted by Gdemami  

Originally posted by Karahandras It does have quite a steep learning curve and if you go into it with the 'themepark mentallity' i.e. bigger=better and rush to such then you will get your arse handed to you.
  No, you don't. "Theme park" players are mostly after PVE and that is where rule fully applies.   One could argue that it applies to PVP in many areas too...
 You do understand that 80% of the EVE population is playing in the part of the universe that would be considered the PvE part of EVE. 

And that is according to CCP. 

Emergent gameplay is what makes EVE great. 

You need to understand that "80%" of the population also has multiple accounts. Their pvp accounts/characters are basically in null-sec, low-sec or wormhole space. So while there are many characters in Empire space most of them are alt accounts generating "safe" income and gathering supplies form the market place, etc.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

M1sf1t

Novice Member

11/12/12 2:33:00 PM#132

Originally posted by jackocomp
As for the skills, There was an article a few years back where one of the developers said it would take in excess of 25 years to train ALL the available skills to level 5 on a single character. Luckily there is no single character that would need or want to have all the available skills trained to level 5 on the one character. This is because some of the skills would be of no use at all to some players that are not using the aspects of the game that require those skills. (eg. Industry based gameplay character has little use for being able to fly & use all the ships in the game, where a PVP based character would)

A new players character starting from scratch will take at least a few months before they can effectively fly a lot of the bigger ships as flying to the ship requires the use of weapons & other modules that are installed onto the ship to help it work & do the things you want it to do. When people I talk to ask I often tell them it wil take about 6 months before they will be able to use the better modules & ships etc.

Bigger ships do not always equal better ships in pvp. In most cases it just means a bigger replacement bill and more grinding for ISK to replace said larger ship compared to a smaller ship.

Frankly you can easily pvp in a small ship and cost people millions if not billions of ISK and only spend at least 2 weeks gaining the skills needed to fly something as trivial as a rifter which gets a tackle on some idiot's prized ratting ship worth billions of isk which your gang then promptly helps destroy.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

User Deleted
11/12/12 2:41:06 PM#133
Originally posted by Gaoxin

-to fuck up someone else's day-

That's basically it.

Ruh roh. Someone lost a ship.

FastSloth

Novice Member

11/13/12 2:22:54 PM#134

What is it about EVE that keeps people playing?

Mostly the fact that Eve is a pyramid scheme where the player with the longest active account wins an advantage over the others and gets to bully them.

Or maybe Eve players just wanted to feel like they belong to a group, can't get it anywhere else and thus spend 8 to 22 hours per day in a videogame.

No idea, I just know that in my 2 years (?) of Eve I've never met anyone in game who said that the game was fun. Maybe "it can be fun at times" was heard occasionally.

Kiljaedenas

Hard Core Member

To err is human, but to really f*ck things up you need a computer.

11/13/12 7:19:04 PM#135
Originally posted by FastSloth

What is it about EVE that keeps people playing?

Mostly the fact that Eve is a pyramid scheme where the player with the longest active account wins an advantage over the others and gets to bully them.

Or maybe Eve players just wanted to feel like they belong to a group, can't get it anywhere else and thus spend 8 to 22 hours per day in a videogame.

No idea, I just know that in my 2 years (?) of Eve I've never met anyone in game who said that the game was fun. Maybe "it can be fun at times" was heard occasionally.

"Pyramid scheme"...erm, what?

8-22 hours a day in a videogame...I have never met anyone in Eve other than one person recovering from heart surgery who couldn't work that plays Eve 8 hours a day, and never anyone who plays as high as 22. That isn't even feasible. Stop talking out of your ass.

As for the statement of never meeting anyone in game who said it was fun, I Kiljaedenas hereby state that Eve Online is more fun than any game I have ever played or heard of in my entire life, and throughout my life I have probably played over 2000 different games.  Now you can no longer make that statement :).

Where's the any key?

FastSloth

Novice Member

11/14/12 1:12:22 PM#136
Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

"Pyramid scheme"...erm, what?

8-22 hours a day in a videogame...I have never met anyone in Eve other than one person recovering from heart surgery who couldn't work that plays Eve 8 hours a day, and never anyone who plays as high as 22. That isn't even feasible. Stop talking out of your ass.

As for the statement of never meeting anyone in game who said it was fun, I Kiljaedenas hereby state that Eve Online is more fun than any game I have ever played or heard of in my entire life, and throughout my life I have probably played over 2000 different games.  Now you can no longer make that statement :).

Sir, we obviously live in different worlds!

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

11/14/12 1:24:46 PM#137
Same as every other game, the right to look down upon the players of (something else)?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Eluwien

Novice Member

11/15/12 2:35:20 AM#138

Skipping the sidetracks, back to the original topic: What is about EVE that keeps people playing?

This:

http://tagn.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/eve-what-to-do.jpg

6th year going, still haven't even tested everything, or perfected more than two of the paths I've tested.

This game is about you deciding what to become, and it will always reward you for sticking with your decission. No other game has yet rewarded me for sticking to my decission so that it has changed my approach to real life, and sticking to decissions in there too.

WHO - Online 08-10
WoW - Online since launch.
LOTR-O - Online 06-08
EVE - Online 07-Now
DAoC - Online 01-Now
Also played : AC, EQ, EQ2, DDO,
Cabal, D&L, GW, LA2, Ryzom
Shaiya, SWG, Allods
Waiting : DAoC2

Kaleston

Novice Member

11/15/12 2:41:37 AM#139

I think the one of the main reason would be the same why people refuse to leave WoW. You spent days and days of playtime and possibly some money on your account... Are you strong enough to throw it away, because game is not so interesting anymore?

With Eve especially, where learning curve is super steep and you get your skills over time, you can't escape this notion of "throwing away your years of life".

adam_nox

Hard Core Member

11/17/12 7:53:17 PM#140
Originally posted by Eluwien

Skipping the sidetracks, back to the original topic: What is about EVE that keeps people playing?

This:

http://tagn.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/eve-what-to-do.jpg

6th year going, still haven't even tested everything, or perfected more than two of the paths I've tested.

This game is about you deciding what to become, and it will always reward you for sticking with your decission. No other game has yet rewarded me for sticking to my decission so that it has changed my approach to real life, and sticking to decissions in there too.

If there was a path to choose, I couldn't find it within 2 weeks.  Did missions, got a 5 million ship, got bored in high sec.  Went to low sec, got ganked by a very powerful ship.  Full EVE experience from the perspective of most people who don't wish to invest a lot of time mining and just want to fly a ship and have some fun I'd imagine.   

Why are people playing?  Don't know, don't care.  I notice the concurrency goes down during US primetime, and it's common to multibox in this game, those two things tell me all I really need to know.  There's also a lot of mining bots.

9 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Search