Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,593 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,175,143
CCP Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 05/06/03)  | Pub:CCP Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Linux | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

EVE Online Forum » Jita (General) » What is it about EVE that keeps people playing?

9 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
169 posts found
  -=Skyy=-

Novice Member

did it hurt? good.

10/21/12 12:27:58 PM#21

On a  more serious note there are many draws to EVE online for anyone who isn't afraid to lose something.

In EVE there are consequences to your actions. something most games lack nowadays.

Clever play is rewarded, foolishness is punished.

You can play any role you could want in a space sim, Trader, merchant, pirate, bounty hunter(soon?) logistics manager, Fleet commander, spy, recon, scout, tackler etc etc. Ht eonly limitation is your skills and knowledge.

Even when your not logged in your still progressing through skill training so you dont feel that compulsion to log in daily like most MMO's do.

THe ability to effect the gameplay of others ona  massive scale through smaller actions etc etc there is so much to EVE beyond the whole "spreadsheets in space" moniker. The catch is you must be willing to throw most of your MMO preconceptions out the window in order to get the most satisfaction out of it. A newbie frigate can be just as valuable as a capital ship in the right situation. a tech 1 battleship can be just as beneficial as a Tech 3 cruise. It's all about tactial knowledge and knowing when to fight and when to run. the market cane be a game unto itself with station trading (theres a reason they employed a Dow jones market analyst for so long)

When in doubt, get more explosives.

aligada87

Hard Core Member

10/21/12 12:31:46 PM#22
i play eve because it is a player driven mmo. love the concept of no rules to follow either. well there are some rules. but i'm referring to the freedom you get compared to any other mmo. if you wanted to scam you don't get banned. if you want to grief you can. i use to play gw2 and i actually got rid of my account and just decided to stick with eve since no other mmo can offer the freedom i get in eve. i mean i think it is also how you can make a players life in the game a really painful experience. he might even quit because he cant handle the torture. no im not a masochist lol. but i believe any eve player will tell you the same response i just said. i mean i just lost a 2.7 bill 100mn legion yesterday in -a- trip a wanted my fleet so dead that they hot dropped a 20 man fleet on a 6 man fleet. tengu fleet with logis in system + ecm lol so ya they wanted my fleet bad lol. it's k we killed em alot and is winning the war. guess that is the reason why they are mad since they are about to loose their space.
  Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

10/21/12 12:31:56 PM#23
Originally posted by Quirhid
Originally posted by Gdemami

People do not play games because of sandbox or theme park label.

I know I don't. But some people do.

Its a shame there is no better space sim MMORPG. I've exhausted all my SPG options.

Ohh.....I can't resist.....

Just because you don't like a game doesn't mean it isn't a good one. 

"In these forums 'honest' seems to be a symonym for 'hates the game just like I do'" - ohioastro
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

User Deleted
10/21/12 12:34:57 PM#24
Originally posted by Kyleran

Its a shame there is no better space sim MMORPG. I've exhausted all my SPG options.

I would imagine he means "better" in his opinion. Although considering the poster, maybe not. (I joke ofc).

Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

10/21/12 12:38:55 PM#25
Originally posted by bunnyhopper

I would imagine he means "better" in his opinion. Although considering the poster, maybe not. (I joke ofc).

Yeah, I was just messing with him since he's said the same to me when I've slammed another game.

"In these forums 'honest' seems to be a symonym for 'hates the game just like I do'" - ohioastro
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

TheIronLegion

Apprentice Member

Act with wisdom, but act.

10/21/12 12:39:40 PM#26

Eve-online was a once in a life time, right place right time, do it right the first time, niche MMO that will likely never happen again. It's as big of a freak accident as WoW. Granted my comment doesn't intend to slight the developers, but in all honesty they just came out at the perfect time and did something right that kept players hooked. Eve is about the only true sandbox we have...There are plenty of other games that come close but Eve about hits the nail on the head.

I know, I personally still have my battleship sitting in [forget the name of the system and station] that I haven't touched in a long time. Mostly because other games have me occupied *coug* GW2. I'm sure I will eventually go back to Eve...when they give me the damn walking in stations!!! >:O

Note: I think most people who play Eve play it off and on. Unless they are just super religious Eve players.

aligada87

Hard Core Member

10/21/12 12:40:43 PM#27
i think i played so much theme park mmos that i got tired of it. the purpose in the end is to get geared or pvp. least in eve you don't have an endgame. oh and i think star citizen will be an epic game if robert does ever deliver
  Uhwop

Elite Member

10/21/12 12:43:51 PM#28

Originally posted by Karahandras

It does have quite a steep learning curve and if you go into it with the 'themepark mentallity' i.e. bigger=better and rush to such then you will get your arse handed to you.

No, you don't.

"Theme park" players are mostly after PVE and that is where rule fully applies.

One could argue that it applies to PVP in many areas too...

You do understand that 80% of the EVE population is playing in the part of the universe that would be considered the PvE part of EVE. 

And that is according to CCP. 

Emergent gameplay is what makes EVE great. 

mmoguy43

Spotlight Poster

10/21/12 12:44:08 PM#29
No predefined endgame.

Let's build the ultimate MMO 1 feature at a time
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/398555/page/1

aligada87

Hard Core Member

10/21/12 12:46:00 PM#30
Originally posted by Uhwop

Originally posted by Karahandras

It does have quite a steep learning curve and if you go into it with the 'themepark mentallity' i.e. bigger=better and rush to such then you will get your arse handed to you.

No, you don't.

"Theme park" players are mostly after PVE and that is where rule fully applies.

One could argue that it applies to PVP in many areas too...

You do understand that 80% of the EVE population is playing in the part of the universe that would be considered the PvE part of EVE. 

agree with this post. like incursions mining/manufacturing. missioning/ratting wh is combination

Gdemami

Elite Member

10/21/12 12:46:17 PM#31

Not sure if you made a typo or what your point actually is...it does not relate to my point in any way shape or form.

aligada87

Hard Core Member

10/21/12 12:49:37 PM#32

...source?

Out of curiosity, where does the other 20% play?

big sov owners like test -a- goons . test has like 9700+ members atm and goons has like 8000 something a has like 3000 something. and i forgot the other sov owner that owns drone space. but they are a huge alliane as well. and if you're not a sov owner you're low sec occuppier. like e- uni who lives in maseera is a pretty big alliance. so the 20% ya thats the source. look at the total number that gets on from peaktime to downtime. you can easily figure it out bro

Gdemami

Elite Member

10/21/12 12:52:10 PM#33

Originally posted by aligada87

big sov owners like test -a- goons . test has like 9700+ members atm and goons has like 8000 something a has like 3000 something. and i forgot the other sov owner that owns drone space. but they are a huge alliane as well. and if you're not a sov owner you're low sec occuppier. like e- uni who lives in maseera is a pretty big alliance. so the 20% ya thats the source. look at the total number that gets on from peaktime to downtime. you can easily figure it out bro

Yeah, only a minority of players are involved in 0.0 warfare...still does not relate to what I have said.

Bigger = better in EVE PVE fully applies.

Calerxes

Spotlight Poster

10/21/12 12:56:01 PM#34
Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Yeah, I was just messing with him since he's said the same to me when I've slammed another game.

GW2 perchance?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Zinzan

Advanced Member

10/21/12 12:57:14 PM#35

...source?

Many of those players you list rarely go to null-sec and most spend the majority of their time in 0.2 or higher.

Null sec is far safer then 0.2-0.5, where all the gate campers and 1337 kiddies live. A large proportion of pvpers do not reside in null sec, never have, never will.

This is why the 80% is probably a low estimation, most pvpers reside in the so-called "pve" areas, this is the thing about EvE, nowhere is truly safe.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

Gdemami

Elite Member

10/21/12 1:01:19 PM#36

Originally posted by Zinzan

Many of those players you list rarely go to null-sec and most spend the majority of their time in 0.2 or higher.

Null sec is far safer then 0.2-0.5, where all the gate campers and 1337 kiddies live. A large proportion of pvpers do not reside in null sec, never have, never will.

This is why the 80% is probably a low estimation, most pvpers reside in the so-called "pve" areas, this is the thing about EvE, nowhere is truly safe.

Making assumptions without prior experience is rarely any good.

Sorry but that is not how the game is. Low sec is the least populated area in EVE and 0.0 gate camps are way deadlier.

aligada87

Hard Core Member

10/21/12 1:02:22 PM#37

Yeah, only a minority of players are involved in 0.0 warfare...still does not relate to what I have said.

Bigger = better in EVE PVE fully applies.

could you define your bigger=better in eve pve fully applies theory? i'm not trying to be rude. just don't get what you mean. are you saying pve is the majority that what makes eve system? cause if so i can disagree. all pve concept involved pvp. whether you get ganked or not. you may not participate in it. but overall you will be still be attacked by pvpers which once a pvper attacks u. you are participating in pvp system of eve. and if you want to even get into more mental pvp lol. you can think of scamming people as a mind pvp lol. like setting up those epic scamms people have to get as  much isk out of u. for example, solar blink. this can be considerd as pvp with the mind lol

Gdemami

Elite Member

10/21/12 1:06:53 PM#38

could you define your bigger=better in eve pve fully applies theory?

Bigger as ship size. PVE in EVE scales with ship size and creates an "end game" for largest ships.

There is no point specializing in frigates if you want to PVE.

aligada87

Hard Core Member

10/21/12 1:08:55 PM#39
Originally posted by Zinzan

...source?

lol try telling that to test or goons or the other big alliance i listed. i live in null and have for over 2 yrs lol. compared to low sec null is most populated but there are more low sec pvpers. low sec pvpers doesnt really mean that makes up their population. cause in the end most of them will go back to high sec and just live there. compared to null that is basically your home. i know i rarely go back to high sec since i live in k-6 and many in my corp does same. and if we do need something that we can't get in null we just send a hauler out in jita then bam . but this happens probably 2-3x a month. 

aligada87

Hard Core Member

10/21/12 1:11:13 PM#40

could you define your bigger=better in eve pve fully applies theory?

Bigger as ship size. PVE in EVE scales with ship size and creates an "end game" for largest ships.

There is no point specializing in frigates if you want to PVE.

well that is true. but i can easily rat or do plex run in a t3 and make good money without having to worry bout me being in a carrier who will be a large target who cant escape lol. i think cruiser ship is smallest ship u can do pve stuff though. anything smaller dont think it's possible

9 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search