Trending Games | World of Warcraft | ArcheAge | EVE Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,815,454 Users Online:0
Games:731  Posts:6,214,625
CCP Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 05/06/03)  | Pub:CCP Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Linux | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

EVE Online Forum » Jita (General) » what is there to do in EVE besides pvp?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
29 posts found
  fenistil

Novice Member

10/07/12 2:22:43 PM#21
Originally posted by Kenze
does it have PVE content? quests, npc's, normal mmorpg type stuff?

Don't play EVE only for PVE - you will be disappointed if you do.  

PVE is a way to get some money or a way for some distraction. 

Main thing in EVE is politics, PvP and crafting / economy.  Also soloing in EVE is not really interesting unless you have very specific mindset.  So joining a corp sooner or later is a must imho to have fun. Can be small one.

EVE can be great game, but it is not for everybody AND most importantly it is not PVE game.  It has some PVE content and you might (or not) have some fun with it, but it is not main game.

kupopoo

Novice Member

10/07/12 11:42:05 PM#22

What is wonderful that I have found about EVE is that even if you get bored with the content, the community may keep you playing. I suggest finding a nice community to fully enjoy the social side of EVE Online.

If you post on redit alot you may join "Test Alliance" I know they are a friendly bunch.

Friendly Industrialist

Xoden

Novice Member

10/08/12 7:29:52 AM#23
The social aspect is definitely the most interesting for me. Being part of a big corp and feeling part of something is a great feeling.
Xoden Xfire Miniprofile
  Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

10/08/12 8:19:37 AM#24
Originally posted by fenistil

Main thing in EVE is politics, PvP and crafting / economy.  Also soloing in EVE is not really interesting unless you have very specific mindset.  So joining a corp sooner or later is a must imho to have fun. Can be small one.

EVE can be great game, but it is not for everybody AND most importantly it is not PVE game.  It has some PVE content and you might (or not) have some fun with it, but it is not main game.

Yet, oddly enough, players spend roughly 70% of their time on PVE activities and I'm in fact running incursions where many players are doing nothing but PVE every day and night.

Now if you said EVE has no traditional raiding like a theme park MMO I'd agree with your assessment, but EVE has quite a few PVE activities actually, which are in support of PVP at the end of the day its true.

"In these forums 'honest' seems to be a symonym for 'hates the game just like I do'" - ohioastro
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

fenistil

Novice Member

10/08/12 8:22:14 AM#25
Originally posted by Kyleran

Yet, oddly enough, players spend roughly 70% of their time on PVE activities and I'm in fact running incursions where many players are doing nothing but PVE every day and night.

Now if you said EVE has no traditional raiding like a theme park MMO I'd agree with your assessment, but EVE has quite a few PVE activities actually, which are in support of PVP at the end of the day its true.

Did not knew that.  I played EVE years ago lately, so maybe I have outdated hmm impression.

Then I admit mistakes and Kenze listen to Kyleran and other EVE vets then. Seems PVE in EVE gotten stronger over the years.

alexanys1982

Apprentice Member

WTB a sandbox mmo with WoW's polish.

10/08/12 8:28:49 AM#26
EvE isnt for you. Its a sandbox with truely dozens of things to do...you could roll out a pure indy character just craft/trade/play the market ALL day long and still be behind.  Eve isnt a game, its a place. after having my account open since 2007 I truley believe that....the developer who manages to capture ( and refine) what CCP did and slaps a new engine on it will be ftw, lets hope Titan is something like this....

Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

10/08/12 8:33:47 AM#27
Originally posted by Kyleran

Did not knew that.  I played EVE years ago lately, so maybe I have outdated hmm impression.

Then I admit mistakes and Kenze listen to Kyleran and other EVE vets then. Seems PVE in EVE gotten stronger over the years.

No need to apologize, PVP is and will always be the main focus of EVE and all PVE is oriented to supporting this, even if only indirectly.

If you've been away for awhile in the recen  years they added Wormhole space, Incursions and Planetary Interaction all in the efforts to shore up the traditional PVE activities of Mission running and Mining. (They even beefed up missions with epic story arcs and Level 5 missioning)   One could also argue that WH's are a mix of PVE / PVP since they intertwine so much.

But you are correct, EVE PVE is by no means facinating, but some of us enjoy focusing on it and make PVP our sideline occupation. 

"In these forums 'honest' seems to be a symonym for 'hates the game just like I do'" - ohioastro
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Loktofeit

Elite Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, Wildstar, and Combat Arms

10/08/12 8:48:45 AM#28
Originally posted by kupopoo

What is wonderful that I have found about EVE is that even if you get bored with the content, the community may keep you playing. I suggest finding a nice community to fully enjoy the social side of EVE Online.

If you post on redit alot you may join "Test Alliance" I know they are a friendly bunch.

Agreed. getting into a corp or one of the many sub communities really changes the game.

Here's a link to some of the corps looking to bring in new players:

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Educational_organizations

"And wikipedia is as accurate as Britannica. Wikipedia is very reliable. You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable source for these kinds of things." -fovoroth

Rodentofdoom

Novice Member

10/08/12 8:50:12 AM#29

You do not fly your ship (like you can in X series, or Wing Commander), you travel between fixed points within a system.

You want to do anything, you need the skills for it.

Skills go from Level 1 to Level 5.

There are about 200 Skills

You do not learn Frigate L5 by flying around in a frigate.

Want to fly a Carrier ... your training skills for 12-18 months.

Skills train in realtime .. a 5day skill takes 5 whole days to train, and yes there are skills that take 30+ days to train.

Most people are totally unprepared for how Eve handles character progression.

Eve requires you to KNOW what you want to do and what you want to fly before you install the game for the first time, because just being proficient in 1 type of battleship takes the best part of 4 months.

All that aside, theres a lot to do in eve.

Skillbooks and a few basic commodities are sold by NPC's, everything else on the market is there because a player either mined it, looted it or made it.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search