Trending Games | The Crew | Neverwinter | Lichdom: Battlemage | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,837,609 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,220,960
CCP Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 05/06/03)  | Pub:CCP Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Linux | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

EVE Online Forum » Jita (General) » Mac Users in EVE some help please

6 posts found
  TasiaZaul

Novice Member

OP  9/23/12 1:50:58 AM#1

Hi,

I am gearing myself up to launching into EVE Online, doing a lot of reading etc.  but then I find out that the CCP Client (Front End) doesnt really support macs.   Okay I see that they don't discourage you from paying to play if you are on a mac but from some posts I read here::   EVE Online: Inferno 1.2 Macintosh Issues and Feedback - it sounds like I would be much better off if I had IT training.

Okay I have some questions..  I am on a new macbook pro so I am okay as far as the specs go, but 

1. If I join I will be playing on my mac.  I cannot afford to get windows and put it on parallel or boot camp.  So I am wondering how difficult it will be for me?  Some of the solutions offered on that forum mentioned above make my mind go blank.

2.  Is a 13" screen going to be too small to enjoy playing EVE on?  When I watch Seamus Donohue's videos the writing in the boxes is blurry and not at all clear.. as well as tiny.  Okay a pc player I am talking to says it is actually much clearer.. but I cant help but wonder.

3.  I have read the dire warnings about being susceptible to viruses thru EVE and that worries me a little as my Mac tech keeps telling me I dont need to worry about viruses or malaware if I am cautious and sensible about what I open.  Are my worries about EVE unfounded?  And if they are founded what do mac users in EVE do for protection?

I think that covers my immediate concerns.  

Thanks

NetSage

Apprentice Member

9/23/12 3:15:32 AM#2

1.  I don't have a mac so I'm not sure how it exactly works.  However I did run Even amazingly well on linux (through WINE but it's probably one the stable games for it).  If you need help or run into issues they have a forum dedicated to Mac Useres https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=273

2.  It depends on you really.  I personally like having a larger screen for everything.  Install the trail and mess with resolutions and window sizes to see if it will work for you though. 

3.  I'm curious where you heard this from.  Because, I'm not aware viruses coming through EVE.  Besides as those Mac techs told you they are probably targeted towards window users.  This is because Mac has such a small market percentage that's not the best target (especially when it comes to gaming).

Robokapp

Hard Core Member

The only luck I had today was to have you as my opponent.

9/23/12 3:27:08 AM#3
I thought Macs don't get viruses...or am I misinformed again?

kleem

Novice Member

9/23/12 3:29:11 AM#4

Hi TasiaZaul,

1. I'm playing EvE on a mac client and windows client in boot camp. If I just play PvE or small (solo) PvP - mac client is just fine, no lag, everything smooth and responsive. But if I go to fleets or high populated areas (Jita for ex.) it starts to lag, so I use bootcamped windows for that. Also visuals on a mac client is not so appealing as on a windows client.

2. 13" is ok, but you'll need to make more "close/open" actions with ingame windows :) to get info you need in the game. You can make font size bigger in game settings, but don't be lasy - it could take time to set good font size and set up game info/chat windows, to get it comfortable.

3. I'm playing EvE for more than 3 years, and never heard of any viruses being susceptible thru it, on a Mac or a PC. So I think it's no more than "Haters gona hate" rumors.

Anyway, spend couple of hours of your life, and try a trial. Download mac client and see it for yourself. :)

Uhwop

Elite Member

9/23/12 9:06:19 AM#5

I have a feeling that someone read something wrong somewhere. 

Don't copy and paste URL's people link in EVE to your browser unless you know exactly were the link is going to take you, and that has nothing to do with EVE.  Other then that, in over 6 years I've never heard of a single person getting a virus because they were playing EVE. 

TasiaZaul

Novice Member

OP  9/23/12 8:15:58 PM#6
Originally posted by Uhwop

I have a feeling that someone read something wrong somewhere. 

Don't copy and paste URL's people link in EVE to your browser unless you know exactly were the link is going to take you, and that has nothing to do with EVE.  Other then that, in over 6 years I've never heard of a single person getting a virus because they were playing EVE. 

Regarding the comment about never hearing about viruses .. thank you Uhwop I am pleased to hear that.  

All my research has been soley about EVE on EVE Online related sites.   Unfortunately I can find the site again,  I remember that it was associated with warnings about account hacking but I a glad to hear that those worries at least are unfounded.

I am still concerned about the problems posted by mac users and am beginning to think my macbook screen could seriously reduce my enjoyment of EVE.   I was hoping to hear from someone playing EVE on a MacBook Pro.