Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Destiny | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,860,415 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,247,264
CCP Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 05/06/03)  | Pub:CCP Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Linux | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

EVE Online Forum » Jita (General) » Tell me please, why is Eve that good?

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
93 posts found
  Malcanis

Advanced Member

"A very special kind of stupidity"

4/30/12 7:26:17 AM#41
Originally posted by Coldhatez

I've heard alot of talk about eve, that is's a good game etc.

Well i played the trail, i kinda liked it but it has a hard learning curve

I want to purchase the game, but how long does it take me to understand this game (average)

Thanks!

If I were to sum it up in one sentence, I'd say that what "makes EVE so great" is that everything you do matters.

It's virtually impossible to do anything that doesn't affect other players in some way. When you buy even a unit of ammo from the market, you're affecting miners, traders, missioners, haulers, manufacturers, inventors... and everyone that depends on or is affected by those professions (ie: essentially everyone).

Other MMOs contain a certain amount of player interaction, and you're generally pretty tightly constrained in your ability to change the game experience of other players. In EVE, there is nothing but player interaction, and it's literally impossible to avoid changing the game experience of other players.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Malcanis

Advanced Member

4/30/12 7:31:10 AM#42
Originally posted by Someguynamed
Originally posted by Gdemami

I think in Eve, success or "godliness", is measured in how much ISK you have, and whether you can afford to fly whatever you want.

False premise.

Not much I can add to rest of your post as it makes little sense...

I'd like to hear what part of this is false and doesn't make sense :)

I might just be wrong, maybe I have a biased view on games like WoW, Rift, or Aion, but not until you can point out where I'm wrong =P

ISK is not a good measure of "godliness" in EVE. Now some players do define their success by accumulating wealth, but for the rest, ISK is not in and of itself power, but one tool which can be used to gain it. It's all very well having enough ISK to buy a Titan, but actually translating that ISK into a ship that you are able to fly and use is another matter altogether.

EVE's history is replete with stories of players who thought as you did, tried to "buy win", and ended up as a laughing stock on the forums as they got scammed or ganked out of their shiny new winmobile and the tale posted for everyone to have a good laugh at.

Someguynamed

Advanced Member

4/30/12 11:17:43 AM#43
Originally posted by Malcanis

I think in Eve, success or "godliness", is measured in how much ISK you have, and whether you can afford to fly whatever you want.

False premise.

I might just be wrong, maybe I have a biased view on games like WoW, Rift, or Aion, but not until you can point out where I'm wrong =P

ISK is not a good measure of "godliness" in EVE. Now some players do define their success by accumulating wealth, but for the rest, ISK is not in and of itself power, but one tool which can be used to gain it. It's all very well having enough ISK to buy a Titan, but actually translating that ISK into a ship that you are able to fly and use is another matter altogether.

EVE's history is replete with stories of players who thought as you did, tried to "buy win", and ended up as a laughing stock on the forums as they got scammed or ganked out of their shiny new winmobile and the tale posted for everyone to have a good laugh at.

People who have a lot of isk, can hire Pandemic Legion to go after another alliance.  How is that not power? =P  There are people with over a trillion ISK. 

You're right about the laughing stock part.  If you get a supercap,  you have to at least know what you're doing, and how to fit one.

However, those laughing stocks with failfits who lose their supercaps are usually RMT'ers who bought their ISK with real money, carebears who cannot afford to lose the ship they just lost, or botters.  In other words dumb people.

I think the definition of elite or "godliness" in this game is: if you can afford to PvP in really expensive ships that other players cannot afford, such as Supers, without the use of RMT.  You also have to know what you're doing, and be able to replace it when you lose it.  At the same time, you don't need to grind for your isk, all you have to do is login for 15 - 30 minutes once every other day to make all that ISK.

On a last note, losing ships is inevitable.  It doesn't matter how well-fitted your Titan / Supercarrier is, or how skilled the pilot is, if you get primaried in a supercap fight you will die. 

So losing a well-fit supercap in a fight, and replacing it right afterward, is nothing to be ashamed of.  I think it actually looks good.  Because it shows you can afford to fly it frequently, like how an average player can afford a dreadnaught. (Some alliances also offer supercap reimbursement on alliance sanctioned ops).

Gdemami

Elite Member

4/30/12 12:02:31 PM#44

I think the definition of elite or "godliness" in this game is: if you can afford to PvP in really expensive ships that other players cannot afford, such as Supers, without the use of RMT. 

Yeah, because supercaps are max level.

I encourage you to hit the trial and try out the game for yourself instead of making false assumptions about the game...

Calfis

Apprentice Member

4/30/12 1:02:03 PM#45

False premise.

People who have a lot of isk, can hire Pandemic Legion to go after another alliance.  How is that not power? =P  There are people with over a trillion ISK. 

The Drone Russian Federation hired PL cuz they had a lot of isk, the DRF is now history. What exactly is power again? :P

Someguynamed

Advanced Member

4/30/12 1:02:54 PM#46

I think the definition of elite or "godliness" in this game is: if you can afford to PvP in really expensive ships that other players cannot afford, such as Supers, without the use of RMT. 

Yeah, because supercaps are max level.

I encourage you to hit the trial and try out the game for yourself instead of making false assumptions about the game...

First of all, you didn't read the entire thing....I said:

I think the definition of elite or "godliness" in this game is: if you can afford to PvP in really expensive ships that other players cannot afford, such as Supers, without the use of RMT.  You also have to know what you're doing, and be able to replace it when you lose it.  At the same time, you don't need to grind for your isk, all you have to do is login for 15 - 30 minutes once every other day to make all that ISK.

Second, I've already downloaded and played the trial 3 years ago.  I currently have a 104 million SP character, and a 65 million SP supercap alt in a major alliance, and I have the ISK to continually fly and replace expensive ships....such as supers,  without the use of RMT, or having to spend hours grinding for ISK everyday. 

It doesn't have to be a supercap, I can fly faction cruisers and battleships all I want.

sycofiend

Novice Member

4/30/12 2:04:56 PM#47

My personal measure of success in a game is whether or not I am having fun.  Matters very little to me what other players "think" of me or level of skill.  it does matter to a lot of people, and its part of what makes this game entertaining for ME personally.

I am having a lot of fun in EVE, and its quite refreshing change from the theme park.

I find I can enjoy this game sometimes just by reading about the crap that goes on .. and people trying to out-godlike each other ...

Its a sandbox so, there are lots of different ways to play and different measures of success .. being able to fly expensive pvp ships probably doesnt matter to say .. and industrialist.

and being part of the biggest baddest alliance might be a measure for some, others are content hunting lone wolfs in small gangs ...

hard to measure success of different players who have different goals and definitions of "success"

Gdemami

Elite Member

4/30/12 4:15:44 PM#48

First of all, you didn't read the entire thing....

On the contrary. I have read it all and carefully, I even read between the lines...

Someguynamed

Advanced Member

4/30/12 7:31:41 PM#49

First of all, you didn't read the entire thing....

On the contrary. I have read it all and carefully, I even read between the lines...

Except, you just can't point out which part you think doesn't make sense, and why :)

I.Gunslinger

Novice Member

5/01/12 2:20:14 AM#50
Originally posted by Pin_Cushion

-Multiple accounts are nearly mandatory.  This has gotten a lot worse with the intro of PLEX and the Power of Two sales from CCP.  Nearly everyone has an alt account.  They use them to scout.  They use them to haul stuff around.  They use them to bait.  They use them as buff bots.  If you don't have multiple accounts then you're simply at a disadvantage to a surprising amount of the player base.

This is the biggest reason holding me back from getting into EVE. I hate multi-boxing, and the idea of paying for two accounts is ridiculous to me. I'm not sure why, I would have no problem owning two cars, or two houses if I could afford it, and I can more than afford two accounts, but just the idea of having to do it to be competitive goes against something in me.

I've toyed with the idea of just having one account and building that up until it can pay for itself with PLEX, and then starting another account. I have no idea if that would still be helpful or not, but it's the only way I could see myself doing it.

It's a shame really, I love the idea of the freedom that sandbox gameplay provides.

Gdemami

Elite Member

5/01/12 2:44:37 AM#51

Except, you just can't point out which part you think doesn't make sense, and why :)

I can and it was done by other posters already.

I just do not feel like going through very same discussion about EVE misconceptions again and again...it gets tiring, therefore I can only encourage you try out the game for yourself...

Fly safe.

Gdemami

Elite Member

5/01/12 2:52:34 AM#52

Originally posted by I.Gunslinger

This is the biggest reason holding me back from getting into EVE.

Such reason is non-sense and I would say it is very bad excuse.

You can enjoy the game with single account just fine...multiply accounts are convenience only.

Malcanis

Advanced Member

5/01/12 3:15:48 AM#53
Originally posted by Pin_Cushion

-Multiple accounts are nearly mandatory.  This has gotten a lot worse with the intro of PLEX and the Power of Two sales from CCP.  Nearly everyone has an alt account.  They use them to scout.  They use them to haul stuff around.  They use them to bait.  They use them as buff bots.  If you don't have multiple accounts then you're simply at a disadvantage to a surprising amount of the player base.

This is the biggest reason holding me back from getting into EVE. I hate multi-boxing, and the idea of paying for two accounts is ridiculous to me. I'm not sure why, I would have no problem owning two cars, or two houses if I could afford it, and I can more than afford two accounts, but just the idea of having to do it to be competitive goes against something in me.

I've toyed with the idea of just having one account and building that up until it can pay for itself with PLEX, and then starting another account. I have no idea if that would still be helpful or not, but it's the only way I could see myself doing it.

It's a shame really, I love the idea of the freedom that sandbox gameplay provides.

A second account is nice to have, but you can easily substitute having decent social skills. If you're prepared to work with others and put in some effort yourself, then a 2nd account is by no means mandatory.

A friend of mine started EVE around the same time as I did, and he's never had a second account; he was one of the team that won the last alliance tournament, a member of one of the top PvP alliances, and a really nice guy. It's perfectly possible to do what he did and engage in top level PvP with a single account. It's easier with a second account is all.

Someguynamed

Advanced Member

5/01/12 11:11:16 AM#54

I can and it was done by other posters already.

I just do not feel like going through very same discussion about EVE misconceptions again and again...it gets tiring, therefore I can only encourage you try out the game for yourself...

Fly safe.

lol now you're trolling =P

When I was 15 years old, I use to post excuses like yours when I was left speechless, and cannot come up with anything.

Someone did post that success to them is having fun, and that's a good point of view.  That was done after your response, and it does not invalidate my views.  (I am having fun as well, or I wouldn't be playing the game)

Another person said having a lot of isk while flying fail fits, is still fail.  And I agree with that, you do have to know what you're doing.  I said those fail fits are probably RMT'ers, botters, or carebears who cannot afford to lose that ship.  It also does not invalidate my views.

However, you still cannot come up with a reason or example of why my views are false, and make no sense.  Because if you could, you would have done it already in your previous posts.  Well, here's another chance:

Now I am betting you will respond and say something along the lines of "but I've already listed them, you just can't read or understand what I said, go play the game for yourself I don't have time to explain ".  Without actually stating any reasons in your previous posts.  Let's see if my bet is right =)

I.Gunslinger

Novice Member

5/01/12 8:35:37 PM#55

A second account is nice to have, but you can easily substitute having decent social skills. If you're prepared to work with others and put in some effort yourself, then a 2nd account is by no means mandatory.

A friend of mine started EVE around the same time as I did, and he's never had a second account; he was one of the team that won the last alliance tournament, a member of one of the top PvP alliances, and a really nice guy. It's perfectly possible to do what he did and engage in top level PvP with a single account. It's easier with a second account is all.

From what I've been told online (I take everything with a grain of salt of course, but when you hear the same thing over and over again it's hard not to assume it has more than a little truth) it can make all the difference. As for being social, EVE is a game that I could play maybe a couple nights a week for a few hours a piece. Not that I wouldn't play every day if I could, but job/gym/errands/etc tend to take up most of my time. 

Is a few days a week for a few hours at a time enough to get in with a corp that would be willing to show me the ropes as a solo account?

I.Gunslinger

Novice Member

5/01/12 8:44:15 PM#56

Such reason is non-sense and I would say it is very bad excuse.

You can enjoy the game with single account just fine...multiply accounts are convenience only.

You're opinions on my "excuse" notwithstanding, it is something that is, for whatever reason, a big deal to me. Even though I can afford it, the idea of having to pay for two accounts to be competitive just, I don't know the proper word, bothers me I guess. And that's the whole thing, I know that as a new player in EVE I'll be the very bottom of the barrel, but I'm worried starting as a single account will actually increase the learning curve.

alancode

Novice Member

5/01/12 10:18:13 PM#57
I cannot play because the combat sucks lol. That is all. 

(-_-)

kovah

Advanced Member

DaZeD aNd AmUsEd

5/02/12 1:36:39 AM#58
I consider myself an EVE veteran.  I've been playing, off and on, since August 2006.  My main only has 65 million skill points.  My subscription is currently in-active as of two days ago.  I've had two accounts twice.  Both via Power of Two promotion.  My main never met, was never in the same system, never had anything to do with - my second account.  It was trained up and sold via the character bazaar.  I've never felt that I needed two accounts to play this game.  So, if you feel that you need to pay CCP for two accounts then that's your business.  Just saying that it isn't necessary. 
  Gdemami

Elite Member

5/02/12 1:49:27 AM#59

I know that as a new player in EVE I'll be the very bottom of the barrel, but I'm worried starting as a single account will actually increase the learning curve.

If you want to believe that "as a new player in EVE I'll be the very bottom of the barrel", you will be.

This is a true problem of yours - false assumptions and negative thinking.

If you want to spend time thinking why you can't do it instead of how to do it, EVE might not be a game for you.

I.Gunslinger

Novice Member

5/02/12 2:12:14 AM#60

I know that as a new player in EVE I'll be the very bottom of the barrel, but I'm worried starting as a single account will actually increase the learning curve.

If you want to believe that "as a new player in EVE I'll be the very bottom of the barrel", you will be.

This is a true problem of yours - false assumptions and negative thinking.

If you want to spend time thinking why you can't do it instead of how to do it, EVE might not be a game for you.

Absolutely, I'll start a brand new character in a very complex( compartively) game I've never played and I won't be at the bottom of the food chain. That makes perfect sense.

There is a difference between negative thinking and practical thinking. Looking at the situation in a practical manner, I'll be entering a very dangerous world in which I don't know the politics, don't have a powerful ship, don't know the economy well enough to support losing a valuable ship, or have friends to back me up. Are those problems insurmountable? No, of course not. I can join a corp, learn the politics, learn the market, and buy/scam my way into a powerful ship. 

And maybe I am assuming some of these things, because I don't know for sure. But then again,  that's why I'm here. 

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search