Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Dragon Age: Inquisition | EverQuest | Skyforge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,066 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,292,324
CCP Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 05/06/03)  | Pub:CCP Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Linux | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

EVE Online Forum » Game Suggestions » I'm to far behind

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
29 posts found
  Soulreaverrr

Novice Member

Did you hear that ?

OP  5/07/09 7:18:27 PM#1

My corp leader has been playing for 5 years. WIll i Ever match his ability i feel so left out. its not fair no matter how hard i work i still cant beat him or thousands of others just because they have payed more money than me.

I know i could out smart many of those but it dosent matter still i am defeated by a broken game system (i pitty eve when FOA (force of arms) comes out.

:P

kattehus

Novice Member

"Life is just a test - a test to see if you can survive death." - Myself.

5/08/09 3:20:25 AM#2

I pity you for not understanding anything everyone who enjoys playing eve says.

Dude. Read the general eve forum here for a bit, and you'll realise you'll catch up.

You don't stop playing CS, SC, D2, BF, WoW or any other online game just because someone is better than you, do you?

|< I 1 1 I |\| 6 _ Z 0 |\/| 8 I 3 5 _ 5 I |\| C 3 _ 1 9 9 0

-Actively playing Eve.
Follow my tweet (:

Thompson77

Novice Member

1/17/10 12:39:08 AM#3
Originally posted by Soulreaverrr

My corp leader has been playing for 5 years. WIll i Ever match his ability i feel so left out. its not fair no matter how hard i work i still cant beat him or thousands of others just because they have payed more money than me.

I know i could out smart many of those but it dosent matter still i am defeated by a broken game system (i pitty eve when FOA (force of arms) comes out.

Quit bitching and learn the game mechanics. Numerical superiority win out over skills.

Focus on one ship class at a time.

Tackle- Frigates, interceptors, Interdictors, EAF. These take between hours and months to train. They are VITAL for pvp.

Support ships. These range from tacklers up to Cruisers, battle cruisers, to battleships. Focus on one, and train for it. It doesn't take long. And before you whine about the "T1 ships are not worth it" tell that to Goonswarm. you play the game. You know who they are. They started out doing fleet fights in just Frigates. Then crusiers, then Battle Cruisers, then Battleships. Strength in numbers.

You can match his ABILITY with just a few months of pvp. His Flexibility in the game, no. Not for a very long time. FOCUS.

If your corp does Roaming PVP ops, focus on an Interceptor first. If they do larger fleet battles, focus on a Sniper battleship. If they do capital ops, focus on a Covert ops ship, and learn to scan and scout.

What you WON'T be able to do is have a ship in the hanger for every type of pvp op.  I can do that for example. Dreads, carriers, Jump freighters, battleships, command ships, HAC's, Recons, Inties, Dictors, HICS, Support.. I can fly it all. But on multiple accounts. NONE of my char's can do it all. One is just for capitals, one is just for Hacs/recons/HICs, one is just for Inties/StealthBombers/Battleships and so on.

Spend a few months focusing on a single class of ship. once you have it learned, move on to another. You'll reach a point where all your core skills are trained, and it's very quick to cross train in other ships.

And the last thing.. Have FUN in the ships you can fly. Stop looking ahead so much. Enjoy what you have. Because once you can fly everything, you'll miss those days of Tech 1 Cruiser/Frig gangs.

It's just like women(Or men). If you are always looking at the flaws in your wife/GF(Husband/BF) you'll never be happy. Focus on the things that make you happy.

Same in EVE. If all you can fly is a T1 Frigate with t1 weapons, then focus on getting the tackle on that expensive hostile ship so your gang can blow it up. Being USEFUL and haveing FUN with FRIENDS is what's important.

Uronksur

Novice Member

1/18/10 1:01:19 AM#4
Originally posted by Thompson77

Quit bitching and learn the game mechanics. Numerical superiority win out over skills.

Ditchmonkey

Novice Member

5/01/10 10:45:09 PM#5

Eve is about finiding your niche among many paths in the game. You can't "beat" an old player? WTH does that mean - you can't beat him in one on one combat? Well duh. Find your own path and do your own thing. Grasshopper.

mklinic

Advanced Member

5/01/10 10:49:04 PM#6

It's no fair that someone who has spent more time developing their character.....has a more developed character? That makes total sense.

If this weren't the 34234 thread about 'catching up" I would almost believe it was sincere, but really, there have been too many conversations on the topic already.

-mklinic

"There's a point I think we're missing.
It's in the air we raise our fists in."
-from Behind Closed Doors by Rise Against

Vortigon

Advanced Member

RMT is for weak people.

5/01/10 10:52:27 PM#7

It's players like this that encourage devs to give as Cash Shops with instant win buttons for people with no patience.

I guess the days of working hard and seeing the benefits of dedication are over... future generations of players will never know the fun of actually learning something new and reaping the benefits of perseverance.

Sad times ahead.

Ditchmonkey

Novice Member

5/01/10 10:57:39 PM#8
Originally posted by Vortigon

I guess the days of working hard and seeing the benefits of dedication are over... future generations of players will never know the fun of actually learning something new and reaping the benefits of perseverance.

Actually those players will still exist - and they will be playing EVE.

qazyman

Gurista

A Good Sandbox isn't about your characters abilities. It's about the players ability.

5/01/10 11:05:48 PM#9

You played EVE. You failed at EVE. You quit EVE. Why are you blaming the game?

As for FOA, I wish I had a dollar for all the people who have come to these forums and said a game was going to be the EVE killer. Most of those games aren't even around now. FOA doesn't look any different to me.

aleos

Advanced Member

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.

5/01/10 11:11:42 PM#10

this is the funniest shit i've ever read.

edit: almost..

Kaelaan21

Elite Member

5/01/10 11:15:51 PM#11

Eve is not an achievement checklist.

If you feel the need to "complete" your character, you won't enjoy any sandbox game. This game is about working with others (directly and indirectly) to complement the skills that you lack at the moment. Find a spot, fit in and have fun.

User Deleted
5/01/10 11:20:07 PM#12

It really has become endemic of the MMO genre.

Seems there's an increasing number of p0layers who, if they can't start a game and "catch up" to people who've been playing for months, if not years, in a fraction of the time, will start with the cries of "Unfair!" and "the game is broken!"

It's sad in a way that so many fail to realize that the process of getting to where those "vets" are is as much part of the game as *being* where those vets are is. This is becoming more and more obvious as more and more people are posting with demands to shorten leveling curves or, in some cases, elimianate leveling altogether.

They don't want the RPG part of a MMORPG. They want a FPS deathmatch without consequences in a persistent world with phat lewt that they can solo everything to get.

Sadly, their numbers are growing, and more devs are giving into their whining, reducing the curve more and more and more... and it's never enough.

It's great for the rest of us who want to enjoy a game in its entirety - not only "what happens at the end" - that games like Eve, and FFXI and such are still around. The day that there are no MMOs left like that is the day I walk away forever.

It's *perfectly* fair that people who play longer are farther along and have made more progress. It's common sense. That there are those who think otherwise really says a lot about the increasingly entitled mentality people have these days. To them it's far more logical to undermine the time, money and effort put in by those who stuck it out for that long, than it is to expect all new players, who may not even hang around, to do the same to reach the same point.

Czargio

Novice Member

5/01/10 11:26:42 PM#13
Originally posted by Kaelaan21

If you feel the need to "complete" your character, you won't enjoy any sandbox game. This game is about working with others (directly and indirectly) to complement the skills that you lack at the moment. Find a spot, fit in and have fun.

Exactly. Eve isn't built so that you do everything yourself. You need others so you can all specialize in what you want and together be something better than the sum of your parts.

At least that is the idea. You don't seem to get that. 

kattehus

Novice Member

5/02/10 2:44:42 PM#14

Woah, almost 4 months and then this thread is revived?

Is the MMORPG.com EvE forum so starving for new players who whine that they 'will never catch up', that this necro is needed? Wow.

I stick with what I said before. If there were no levelcap in WoW, would you stop playing that, too?

-Actively playing Eve.
Follow my tweet (:

Ooda

Novice Member

5/24/10 3:57:01 AM#15

I bet he has played to much World of Warcraft.

Crying 4 something is not the way EvE works. I hope they will never change that.

Komandor

Apprentice Member

11/22/10 9:47:26 AM#16
Originally posted by Kaelaan21

lol yeah, if you want to be "complete", go play wow and grind for the epics :D

Keep on rockin'!

elocke

Spotlight Poster

1/15/11 5:38:57 PM#17
Originally posted by Thompson77

Focus on one ship class at a time.

Tackle- Frigates, interceptors, Interdictors, EAF. These take between hours and months to train. They are VITAL for pvp.

Support ships. These range from tacklers up to Cruisers, battle cruisers, to battleships. Focus on one, and train for it. It doesn't take long. And before you whine about the "T1 ships are not worth it" tell that to Goonswarm. you play the game. You know who they are. They started out doing fleet fights in just Frigates. Then crusiers, then Battle Cruisers, then Battleships. Strength in numbers.

You can match his ABILITY with just a few months of pvp. His Flexibility in the game, no. Not for a very long time. FOCUS.

If your corp does Roaming PVP ops, focus on an Interceptor first. If they do larger fleet battles, focus on a Sniper battleship. If they do capital ops, focus on a Covert ops ship, and learn to scan and scout.

What you WON'T be able to do is have a ship in the hanger for every type of pvp op.  I can do that for example. Dreads, carriers, Jump freighters, battleships, command ships, HAC's, Recons, Inties, Dictors, HICS, Support.. I can fly it all. But on multiple accounts. NONE of my char's can do it all. One is just for capitals, one is just for Hacs/recons/HICs, one is just for Inties/StealthBombers/Battleships and so on.

Spend a few months focusing on a single class of ship. once you have it learned, move on to another. You'll reach a point where all your core skills are trained, and it's very quick to cross train in other ships.

And the last thing.. Have FUN in the ships you can fly. Stop looking ahead so much. Enjoy what you have. Because once you can fly everything, you'll miss those days of Tech 1 Cruiser/Frig gangs.

It's just like women(Or men). If you are always looking at the flaws in your wife/GF(Husband/BF) you'll never be happy. Focus on the things that make you happy.

Same in EVE. If all you can fly is a T1 Frigate with t1 weapons, then focus on getting the tackle on that expensive hostile ship so your gang can blow it up. Being USEFUL and haveing FUN with FRIENDS is what's important.

My eyes have glazed over reading this.  WAY too much info for a new player.  I mean no offense, but it cracks me up the kind of answers one gets when asking Eve vets certain things.  

My question is, with the learning skills removed, how long does it take now to become viable in pvp or anything really?  Also, I really want to play this game but the last time I played I had a corp try to talk me into mining for them.  That was the most boring 2 weeks in a game I have ever spent.  Is the game really just about autopiloting half the things to do while you read a book or surf the web?  

I have the same problem with the progression system in Darkfall.  Any game that makes it possible to skill up without me really "doing" anything and forces me to play something else or watch or read something else just to make the time go by is a horrible design choice for a video game.  Truly.  Sad because both Eve and DF seem to have such deep lore and world immersion factors that I'm not getting in MMORPGs with better progression systems.  /sigh

http://www.twitch.tv/elockethemmoaddict

https://twitter.com/MMOAddicted

kattehus

Novice Member

1/15/11 6:17:53 PM#18

You should do as one of my (recently started) friends do. He started out training some basic skills (I helped him along), and after that, he trained for whatever he wanted to do.

I know a lot of people will probably disagree with this, but I'm not a huge min/max'er. I started out training for what I wanted to do, and to this day, I have skills I've never used more than once or twice (such as mining-related skills. :P)

My skillpoints are spread out, and while this isn't very good from a specialization standpoint, it makes me a jack of all trades. I can do what I want to do, (basically) when I want to do it.

A lot of people will tell you to beeline to doing one or two specialized things. And while this may be a good thing, as it makes you have a "goal" early in game, my goal was to do what I wanted to do. And my skills reflect that.

For PvP, yeah, you'll have to specialize to compete (at least in the beginning), but even with an hour or two of training, you can be a viable asset in pvp (support).

The best advice I can think of is: join a corp that does a lot of things. They'll have a lot of players who knows a lot about the different aspects of the game, and you can ask them for advice regarding those things. When you're trying out things, you'll eventually find something you want to keep doing, and while you're training to be better at that, you can still do it - or you can try out even more things.

-Actively playing Eve.
Follow my tweet (:

Sovrath

Elite Member

1/15/11 6:20:04 PM#19
Originally posted by WSIMike

It really has become endemic of the MMO genre.

Seems there's an increasing number of p0layers who, if they can't start a game and "catch up" to people who've been playing for months, if not years, in a fraction of the time, will start with the cries of "Unfair!" and "the game is broken!"

It's sad in a way that so many fail to realize that the process of getting to where those "vets" are is as much part of the game as *being* where those vets are is. This is becoming more and more obvious as more and more people are posting with demands to shorten leveling curves or, in some cases, elimianate leveling altogether.

They don't want the RPG part of a MMORPG. They want a FPS deathmatch without consequences in a persistent world with phat lewt that they can solo everything to get.

Sadly, their numbers are growing, and more devs are giving into their whining, reducing the curve more and more and more... and it's never enough.

It's great for the rest of us who want to enjoy a game in its entirety - not only "what happens at the end" - that games like Eve, and FFXI and such are still around. The day that there are no MMOs left like that is the day I walk away forever.

It's *perfectly* fair that people who play longer are farther along and have made more progress. It's common sense. That there are those who think otherwise really says a lot about the increasingly entitled mentality people have these days. To them it's far more logical to undermine the time, money and effort put in by those who stuck it out for that long, than it is to expect all new players, who may not even hang around, to do the same to reach the same point.

I absolutely completely agree with you.

ste2000

Apprentice Member

1/15/11 6:25:48 PM#20

You don't understand how sandboxes work.

I suggest you play Star Trek Online maybe is more your style, you can be as everyone else in a month time.

2 Pages 1 2 » Search