Trending Games | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Star Wars: The Old Republic | EverQuest | Pirate101

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,901,282 Users Online:0
Games:753  Posts:6,271,756
Fallen Earth | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 09/22/09)  | Pub:GamersFirst
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | ESRB:MOut of date info? Let us know!

Fallen Earth Forum » Fallen Earth » Is Fallen Earth secretly the best mmo in the universe?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
29 posts found
  Theocritus

Apprentice Member

9/04/12 5:20:41 PM#21
     The futuristic wasteland type MMOs just dont appeal to me...i guess I want a world where I can escape to that is nicer than the one Im in, not worse.....
  Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

9/04/12 5:20:48 PM#22
Originally posted by NagilumSadow
Originally posted by Kyleran

Well, when I gave it a try (in the P2P days)  it was pretty fun, but as I moved into the 2nd half of the leveling curve I found it to be a wasteland. (literally).

I recall trying to join several long running guilds and found they were all in the process of collapsing because there wasn't enough to do at endgame to keep them subbed.

Things may have changed, this was a year or maybe two ago, but as it stands I can't play MMO's anymore without a solid endgame that I'm interested in.

The distinction is these are not the P2P days, which is a very important distinction now. Perhaps you should see the official FE blog to examine the changes?

You said the "B" word... reading blogs is so 2007.

Arrogant, Condescending, Dismissive, Elitist, "Meany", you speak as if these are bad things?
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

NagilumSadow

Hard Core Member

OP  9/04/12 5:22:51 PM#23
Originally posted by MindTrigger

I liked the way Star Wars Galaxies handled respeccing.  You didn't just get it for coin or for free.  There was a penalty, and you had to re-level some of your skills.  If you switched from combat to non-combat, you started from scratch.  Luckily it didn't take long to re-level, so though it was a penalty, people did it all the time.  That was also tied to the fact that you had ONE character slot back in pre-CU.

I still think it's a pretty cool game, all things considered.  However as a sort of "sandpark" it was not enough of either sandbox or themepark to be all that compelling for a long period of time.

There was one character slot in the 'CU' as well; out of curiosity, what do you consider a good sandboxy mmo?

Well, there haven't been any for years.  I played SWG from beta to NGE.  Even played some later NGE when they started putting some of the features back in they removed.

I would like to see the spiritual successor to SWG.  Right now there are two games that look good to me.  The Repopulation is looking great, and I'm watching Arch Age.  Pathfinder Online remains to be seen.  There's not much else out there on my radar at this point.  In the mean time I am casually playing TSW and GW2

I've tried just about all of them including Xsyon and Mortal.  I put $80 of Kickstarter funds into The Repopulation.

I haven't tried Xsyon, but it looked a little overly barebones. Repopulation looks like it has alot of potential; I don't mean to be trivial, but there is something I don't like about the general look of that mmo.

http://wyrdgaming.blogspot.com/

MindTrigger

Advanced Member

9/04/12 5:28:03 PM#24

I liked the way Star Wars Galaxies handled respeccing.  You didn't just get it for coin or for free.  There was a penalty, and you had to re-level some of your skills.  If you switched from combat to non-combat, you started from scratch.  Luckily it didn't take long to re-level, so though it was a penalty, people did it all the time.  That was also tied to the fact that you had ONE character slot back in pre-CU.

I still think it's a pretty cool game, all things considered.  However as a sort of "sandpark" it was not enough of either sandbox or themepark to be all that compelling for a long period of time.

There was one character slot in the 'CU' as well; out of curiosity, what do you consider a good sandboxy mmo?

Well, there haven't been any for years.  I played SWG from beta to NGE.  Even played some later NGE when they started putting some of the features back in they removed.

I would like to see the spiritual successor to SWG.  Right now there are two games that look good to me.  The Repopulation is looking great, and I'm watching Arch Age.  Pathfinder Online remains to be seen.  There's not much else out there on my radar at this point.  In the mean time I am casually playing TSW and GW2

I've tried just about all of them including Xsyon and Mortal.  I put $80 of Kickstarter funds into The Repopulation.

I haven't tried Xsyon, but it looked a little overly barebones. Repopulation looks like it has alot of potential; I don't mean to be trivial, but there is something I don't like about the general look of that mmo.

For an indy game, The Repopulation feature list is incredible.  I think one of the things that is bound to suffer some for indy games, is art. They just can't afford a team, or have a library of assets.  I think it looks pretty good though, and if the gameplay delivers, I won't need it to be cutting edge graphically.  Hell, I played Tribes 1 for a looog time.  Talk about ugly, but was the best FPS game I ever played.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Distopia

Drifter

"what a boring life, HATING everything" -Gorilla Biscuits

9/04/12 5:28:48 PM#25
It's one of the better games available today IMO. I still feel the combat is lacking,

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

NagilumSadow

Hard Core Member

OP  9/04/12 5:42:42 PM#26
Originally posted by Yamota

All in all the game was a dissapointment and now that it is F2P I am reluctant to try it again as I dont like the payment model. More often than not it turns into a Pay to Win type of game.

That is one way to look at the f2p model.  I Prefer to see f2p as a better way to "vote" for what you want with your wallet. Developers tend to quickly get the message that way (imo).

Tibernicus

Apprentice Member

9/04/12 5:52:56 PM#27
It is one of the best, most unique post WoW MMOs. Right on the list with GW2 and Darkfall and Vanguard.
  NagilumSadow

Hard Core Member

OP  9/06/12 9:26:48 PM#28

Well, when I gave it a try (in the P2P days)  it was pretty fun, but as I moved into the 2nd half of the leveling curve I found it to be a wasteland. (literally).

I recall trying to join several long running guilds and found they were all in the process of collapsing because there wasn't enough to do at endgame to keep them subbed.

Things may have changed, this was a year or maybe two ago, but as it stands I can't play MMO's anymore without a solid endgame that I'm interested in.

The distinction is these are not the P2P days, which is a very important distinction now. Perhaps you should see the official FE blog to examine the changes?

You said the "B" word... reading blogs is so 2007.

Like, totally?! But, like, how do you keep up with, like,  'The Walking Dead' , ya know?

User Deleted
10/23/12 4:03:02 PM#29

I like to come back to FE now and again.  Great crafting system and I like the towns and general atmosphere.  Wish there was a reason to explore even more, but as a previous poster said, the game doesn't lend itself well to exploration.  the Combat is a bit too simplistic, but I can overlook that since skill progression is pretty fun.  

The best part about the game for me is the gear itemization (even on a F2P account where I dont buy anything with real money) and the weapon selection.  You can use a frying pan, corkscrew, rake, butcher knife....what other game offers that?  None.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search