Trending Games | World of Warcraft | WildStar | Dragon Age: Inquisition | EverQuest

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,308 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,293,474
Broadsword Online Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 09/30/97)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$09.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Ultima Online Forum » Britannia Tavern (General) » JUST MAKE A NEW UO ALREADY!

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
92 posts found
  vaultbrain

Novice Member

10/17/11 7:24:13 PM#61
Originally posted by FinalEclipse

The good old Ultima Online days:

Player Housing - Check

Crafting that meant something - Check

Player Driven economy - Check

Flexible Skill Trees - Check

Open world PvP - Check

Open world dungeons - Check

Great community - Check

Not a gear grind - Check

Player Skill > Gear - Check

Good Lore - Check

Multi Faction Wars (Guild Wars That meant something) - Check

SERIOUSLY! It's got a following. There's no denying nostalgia will sell plenty of boxes.  EA now owns the name.... If anyone has the money to sink into a game it's them. DO IT!!! 

Please.... Update the graphics a bit... You don't even have to make it 3rd person. The overview type of game still works for people... Look at Diablo III! It will sell millions of copies. Easy.

Please for the love of anything holy. Do it. Stop digging up other ideas for games that COULD be a good MMO. Ultima Online WAS a good MMO. It's got the lore to build on top of. Like, what, 8 single player games before UO came out? That's up there with Final Fantasy...

What the hell is up with people... Notch (Minecraft) has made millions off a simple concept. Let people have the freedom to do what they want. Build things. Adventure. We don't need something stringing us along.  GIVE US SOMETHING. I have my wallet out right now waiting for the next game that can acheive this... 

Loot tables!??!?!?!! WTF are those? Your purple armor of Azeroth helped slay the Dragon of One Million Respawns? Congrats? How many times did you wipe? Only 2x? Nice! What did you lose?! 5% off your total health of 1,000,000 gazillion hit points?! Oh noes, better pick up your gravestone to be back at 100%! And you finally got the "Bracers of 900 Hours of Raiding" Lucky drop dude. Only a .5% chance of them dropping on the second Wednesday following a full moon.

Give me a GM Katana and some decent plate and lets see what we can do.

/rant

Couldnt agree more. This is the UO players remember and want for more than anything else. Last night I was on Rift I saw people chatting about wanting for an open sandbox game just like Ultima Online USED to be. The players are sick of the WoW clones and their BS. Its time for the MMORPG industry to get back to the basics, back to the game and the rules that started it all and put this genre of games on the map, back to the UO style of game.

What players need to do is start bugging the crap out of Richard Garriott and tell him to get off of his ass, to stop f**king around with the retarded ass social games and get back to what he was best known for, and that was making high quality RPGs and MMORPGs.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/Richard.Garriott.de.Cayeux?sk=wall

There's the link to his Facebook page, go nuts people!

ddguy

Novice Member

10/17/11 7:34:15 PM#62

ultima online was so good cause it was the only mmo available, planty of games have those featrures now

Biskop

Novice Member

10/17/11 7:56:40 PM#63
Originally posted by RajCaj

True, its not likely IF you operate under the assumption that a MMORPG MUST

• Have a rich bug free state of the art graphics engine
  • Have a soundtrack laid down by an award winning orchestra & composer
  • Have developers working on a 24/7 365 content development cycle
  • Have hardware that can support 10s of millions of subs, and fancy cross server grouping mechanics
In fact, most people looking for a good Sandbox experience view these features as bonus material...not staples of a great game.  Indie developers (or even AAA publishers) could instead...
  • Use a nice looking top down / 3rd person Diablo-ish style of graphics would save a TON on graphics & animation tech.
  • Have a good sounding selection of music that can come at a cheaper price than the orchestra
  • Sandbox content means the developers make the tools...and the players generate the content.  Where in a themepark.....since questing / raiding IS what the game is about......smart (and expensive) developers are working around the clock to keep up with the demand of content.
  • Scale down the hardware to a subscriber base something more reasonable...under 1 mill, and you have savings in that department too.

Many of the primary cost drivers in the new Themepark Model ARE due to the Themepark model.  I'd play a carbon copy of old school UO with a Battle of Immortals style of Graphics any day of the week over a broken version of Darkfall or Mortal Online.

agreed.

for fans of the sandbox design philosophy, interesting gameplay is more important than fancy graphics and shiny but shallow content (like a new instanced raid dungeon).

I actually prefer simple but nice-looking graphics, at least as long as they mean that I get a fluid and working gaming experience.

for example, a game like Linkrealms works with very simple technical solutions and still produce a charming little virtual world where players can do lots of different stuff (from dungeon crawling to PvP, farming and cockerel breeding), and where the models and animations still look sharp and modern, in spite of being simple and old-school.

in a game like Mortal Online on the other hand, the super-advanced graphics, forced first person view, multiple hitboxes, weapon arcs and so on just gets in the way of actually playing the game.

besides, most people turn the settings down to avoid crashes and lag and increase their fps - and then the game looks blurred and horrible anyway.

Arawnite

Novice Member

10/17/11 8:08:18 PM#64

If DFO had a skill cap, I'd still be playing it

Corehaven

Novice Member

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you.

10/17/11 8:19:48 PM#65

Didnt they try to make a UO 2 ?  It fell through but I have no idea why. 

I dont think another UO will ever come personally.  Im really surprised UO is still going.  If the UO IP was going to keep going we'd be on UO 3 or UO 4 by now.  After the sequel fell through I think that was the end of any real future installments.  I sort of consider it a dead franchise.  In that I dont expect it to grow any further than it really has. 

RajCaj

Advanced Member

10/18/11 8:55:47 AM#66
Originally posted by Corehaven

Didnt they try to make a UO 2 ?  It fell through but I have no idea why. 

I dont think another UO will ever come personally.  Im really surprised UO is still going.  If the UO IP was going to keep going we'd be on UO 3 or UO 4 by now.  After the sequel fell through I think that was the end of any real future installments.  I sort of consider it a dead franchise.  In that I dont expect it to grow any further than it really has. 

They tried to make a Ultima Online 2, but from what I remembered.....it was going to be nothing like the original UO.  I can't remember exactly but UO2 (or UOX) was going to be less "open".  I think they finally canned the project in the midst of EQ's success.

And the reason the original UO IP is still going is because its now in Cash Cow status for EA.  The hardware requirement is a joke compared to whats needed for modern MMORPGs.  They probably have summer interns working on development and maintance and there is still a cult following for all the qualities that haven't really been able to be duplicated today.

I think EA will evoke it again in a new age MMO when the opprotunity strikes.  So far, they have been busy enough with DAoC, Warhammer, and now SW:TOR.

Komandor

Apprentice Member

11/06/11 11:01:40 AM#67

I think UO will be remade eventually in 3D environment.

It's too good of a franchise to pass up. But I presume they will still see how much they can milk the existing UO.

However, I suspect the new version might be dumbed down quite a bit. Look at what kids are playing these days. Carebare crap.

Keep on rockin'!

Loke666

Elite Member

11/06/11 11:11:23 AM#68
Originally posted by Komandor

I think UO will be remade eventually in 3D environment.

It's too good of a franchise to pass up. But I presume they will still see how much they can milk the existing UO.

However, I suspect the new version might be dumbed down quite a bit. Look at what kids are playing these days. Carebare crap.

Basing future games on what the kids play today is not a great idea. Kids are just kids a short while and game trends change eventually.

Still, UO ain't UO without Garriot. And just remaking it exactly the same wont work either, remaking old games only works for PSP and Nintendo DS.

UO was great because it did it's own thing, by just remaking it you take that away from it. A good remade UO needs to take the best things from UO and improve the bad things. If you can't remember any bad things you are wearing rose colored glasses like so many SWG vets.

Kost

Newshound

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.

11/06/11 11:13:45 AM#69
Originally posted by Loke666

Basing future games on what the kids play today is not a great idea. Kids are just kids a short while and game trends change eventually.

Still, UO ain't UO without Garriot. And just remaking it exactly the same wont work either, remaking old games only works for PSP and Nintendo DS.

UO was great because it did it's own thing, by just remaking it you take that away from it. A good remade UO needs to take the best things from UO and improve the bad things. If you can't remember any bad things you are wearing rose colored glasses like so many SWG vets.

I agree completely.

Honeymoon69

Novice Member

11/06/11 11:15:54 AM#70
I thought Archeage is supposed be the next UOOOO.
  Loke666

Elite Member

11/06/11 11:20:03 AM#71
Originally posted by Honeymoon69
I thought Archeage is supposed be the next UOOOO.

Yeah, and people said the same of DF and MO as well.

But Origin already had many hit single player games behind it when it made UO, a good team and at the time a good budget.

UO didn't come from nowhere, and there were a lot behind it. Archeage don't have that behind them so I doubt it will be similar to UO.

ZombieKen

Advanced Member

Zombie - Dead but still moving.

11/06/11 11:21:12 AM#72

Hey OP,

Could you clarify this?  Do you mean character skill values, player skill at playing their character, or something else?

MSOTSG with PPE : Massively Single-player Online Task-driven Storyline Game with Purchasable Performance Enhancements *grin*

Quicksand

Hard Core Member

11/06/11 11:42:36 AM#73

Player Housing - Check

Open world PvP - Check

Great community - Check

Not a gear grind - Check

Good Lore - Check

I think these two things are what made UO a step above everything else since. And I also think these are the two things that wil never be done right again (and not because a dev team won't ever get it right, but because the MMO community won't ever be the same)

One example is DF, I think they have a system close enough to UO (in these two areas) to work, IF the community in the MMO world was the same as it was when UO started.

The problem is this (IMO) since EQ2 and then WoW had a great deal of success bringing in a new type of MMO gamer, it changed the community to the extreme. In order for a crafting system in an MMO to really matter, you MUST have players losing EVERYTHING THEY HAVE ON so that they are buying new player made equipment ALL THE TIME.

The problem with this, is the community of MMO players now (due largely to EQ2 and WoW) do not like the idea of losing that really cool sword they finally got, or that awesome new chestplate and so on... (I am not bashing them or saying they are wrong) And since they won't play a game that puts the chance of them losing everything, the Devs simply can't make that the standard for the game (special rule set servers or areas simply do not work the same way). So without having players drop a corpes with everything on it when they die (and the mobs (like in UO) or other players able to loot it) Crafting will never matter.

As far as open world PvP, it can NEVER work as long as it is only an option (rule set server or area) If you split the average player and the "gankers" onto different servers or areas, then the only thing going on in the PvP area is "ganking" and it becomes nothing more than a FPS. Open world PvP to truely be successful like it was when UO launched, must be a full, complete, open gaming world where anything can happen but doesn't always have too.

The corpes drops (Needed meaningful crafting) and open PvP worllds are not something this new age of MMO players enjoy, thus, will never be done like UO did again.

www.90and9.net
www.prophecymma.com

Venger

Novice Member

Help Fight Global Warming
Shut Your Mouth :D

11/06/11 11:50:15 AM#74

Open world PvP - Check

Make this consentual or the people that made all the other aspects great won't waste there money.

You will NEVER be able to recreate what UO was, because the people are not the same.

Quicksand

Hard Core Member

11/06/11 11:53:43 AM#75
Originally posted by Venger

Open world PvP - Check

Make this consentual or the people that made all the other aspects great won't waste there money.

You will NEVER be able to recreate what UO was, because the people are not the same.

Thats like saying "Manditory Volunteer"

it's either "consentual PvP" or "Open world PvP" . 

www.90and9.net
www.prophecymma.com

Scorchien

Advanced Member

11/06/11 12:03:07 PM#76
Originally posted by Loke666
Originally posted by howtoland

It didn't work because THEY DIDN'T MAKE A NEW UO. They made a hollowed out shell of what UO was, cherry picking whatever systems they liked and getting rid of those they didn't.

Why is this so complicated for you people? :|

No. It didn't work because they didn't have any original thoughts and just stole stuff from other games. UO did nothing like that and therefor you can't remake UO.

Easy enough?

I have a UO account for 13 years now ... and i have played MO and Darkfall .. these 2 games are nothing in any way shape or form like UO............

I can go im my backyard and say im gonna build a rocket in the spirit of the spaceshuttle to .. but it wont be anyhting but maybe the shell..

Thats what these devs have manged .................period                                ...easy enough..

and please stop trying to squeeze M59 into every single thread .. it was aterrible game then and when they revived it and now .. It has nothing to do with this conversation but you seem to have a need to bring it up in every single thread....

Venger

Novice Member

11/06/11 12:04:46 PM#77
Originally posted by Quicksand

Open world PvP - Check

Did I say consentual open world pvp?  And before you come up with some stupid response, no I did not.  Pvp needs to be consentual.

But thank you for proving my point, "The people are not the same."

Quicksand

Hard Core Member

11/06/11 3:53:20 PM#78

Open world PvP - Check

Did I say consentual open world pvp?  And before you come up with some stupid response, no I did not.  Pvp needs to be consentual.

But thank you for proving my point, "The people are not the same."

Sorry for obviously offending you in some unseen way. Certainly wasn't my intent. Now to clearify:

He said: Open World PvP - check

your reply to that statement: Make this consentiual or...

Now, your statement : Make it (Open world PvP was the only thing you quoted, thus, "this" can only be "Open world PvP"  because it is the only thing applicable) consentual...

As a result, my reply to your statement seems accurate and thus, your attack on me completely unjustified. But, again, since I am dealing with a "new type of MMO player" I will once again say "sorry for offending you by quoting your exact statement in its complete and accurate context and then pointing out its obvious inaccuracy.

But again, one last time, sorry for offending you.

www.90and9.net
www.prophecymma.com

Venger

Novice Member

11/06/11 6:55:38 PM#79

Offend?!?  Far from it.  This is the internet you have to espect people to try to act cute. 

"Open World" PVP

"Consentual" PVP

You see how PVP was changed from "Open World" to "Consentual".

User Deleted
11/08/11 4:48:27 PM#80

Player Housing - Check

Open world PvP - Check

Great community - Check

Not a gear grind - Check

Good Lore - Check

I think these two things are what made UO a step above everything else since. And I also think these are the two things that wil never be done right again (and not because a dev team won't ever get it right, but because the MMO community won't ever be the same)

One example is DF, I think they have a system close enough to UO (in these two areas) to work, IF the community in the MMO world was the same as it was when UO started.

The problem is this (IMO) since EQ2 and then WoW had a great deal of success bringing in a new type of MMO gamer, it changed the community to the extreme. In order for a crafting system in an MMO to really matter, you MUST have players losing EVERYTHING THEY HAVE ON so that they are buying new player made equipment ALL THE TIME.

The problem with this, is the community of MMO players now (due largely to EQ2 and WoW) do not like the idea of losing that really cool sword they finally got, or that awesome new chestplate and so on... (I am not bashing them or saying they are wrong) And since they won't play a game that puts the chance of them losing everything, the Devs simply can't make that the standard for the game (special rule set servers or areas simply do not work the same way). So without having players drop a corpes with everything on it when they die (and the mobs (like in UO) or other players able to loot it) Crafting will never matter.

As far as open world PvP, it can NEVER work as long as it is only an option (rule set server or area) If you split the average player and the "gankers" onto different servers or areas, then the only thing going on in the PvP area is "ganking" and it becomes nothing more than a FPS. Open world PvP to truely be successful like it was when UO launched, must be a full, complete, open gaming world where anything can happen but doesn't always have too.

The corpes drops (Needed meaningful crafting) and open PvP worllds are not something this new age of MMO players enjoy, thus, will never be done like UO did again.

I disagree with the highlighted statement.  There are a few games that have had meaningful crafting without requiring full loss of items upon death.

1. Pre NGE SWG.
  2. Saga of Ryzom.
Deteriorating gear also makes crafting meaningful.  When gear loses durability, sooner or later, the gear is going to break.  Thus, requiring players to buy new stuff from crafters.  Some repair options can be offered.  However, repair should reduce the maximum durability down or reduce the power of the gear.
5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search