Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,790,278 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,194,018
Broadsword Online Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 09/30/97)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$09.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Ultima Online Forum » Britannia Tavern (General) » Will UO be the biggiest MMO come back ever? I think so!

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
99 posts found
  SnarlingWolf

Novice Member

8/18/10 1:34:29 PM#21

People always think opening a retro shard of a game, or opening a new shard so everyone can start on even footing again, will be the biggest hit EVAR!!!1!!11! It's not the case and it is never the case.

People like to remember the good old days, but even with a shard based on those good old days it is still not the same. The times have changed, players have changed, the experience will not be the same. Players will experience the frustrating parts they forgot about and get tired of it quickly.

Basically there will be a big spike in people taking a trip down memory lane, then they'll all quit quickly and you will have some people who truly do like it that will stay. It will be populated but it will be smaller then the existing shards. It will bring in some players but not a ton and it won't be the biggest come back ever. People need to start putting their excitement into reality, this is why there is so much hate after every new MMO game, people psych themselves up to expectations levels that will never be met. Approach things realistically and you will rarely be let down.

User Deleted
8/18/10 1:40:30 PM#22
See that bothers me. Trammel ruined uo because it gave players choice between safe and total chaos. People say that ruined uo. It took that fear feeling away. Here's my problem with this. Who's experience did it exactly ruin? If you wanted to live and hunt in a FFA environment and have that thrill of a realistic dangerous setting could you no longer do that? Of course you could. The reason every grieving asshole cried about trammel was now the sheep that wanted no part of pvp action or that fear had somewhere to play. It took the easy targets Away. I don't see an issue with giving players a choice, this is why I still support the current client. A true sandbox. Asandbox that gives a player a choice!!! ./ gets off soap box
  uohaloran

Novice Member

8/18/10 1:42:31 PM#23

The community that made those days flourish doesn't exist anymore.

It's a silly endeavor to invest into. People will log in, get murdered, and log right back out.

saker

Hard Core Member

Make a WORLD,
Not a Game.

8/18/10 1:43:59 PM#24

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf
I honestly don't think a classic shard would work that well now, players were a more mature breed in those days.

Back then you could all stand around outside of town and not have everyone mindlessly ganking everyone, even though it was allowed.

I remember giving this a try waaaaay back in the day and all I saw was people being instantly attacked outside town.

On the other hand I do agree that the "community" in general was more mature back-in-the-day.

Skuz

Novice Member

"If you can''t laugh at yourself there''s always someone around to show you how it''s done!"

8/18/10 1:46:35 PM#25

No, it's no longer 1997 & far far too much has happened in the mass-gaming field.

Snarling brings up some good observations & they are probably accurate, I liked UO post-Trammel a lot better than before it, which is seen by many of the real vets of UO as something tantamount to heresy, but as soon as EQ appeared I was gone instantly to that as it was more like what I expected of a game trying to portray a "world", largely by way of it's 3d graphics admittedly.

I am sure a "classic" pre-Trammel server would find a select & niche community & once the gank-squad imbeciles have gotten bored & wandered back off to their FPS fragfests a decent oldskooler community could reform, but could it be really viable long-term, nah it'll be too niche I think.

Lawlmonster

Apprentice Member

Take my advice, I'm not using it anyway.

8/18/10 1:47:06 PM#26

People always think opening a retro shard of a game, or opening a new shard so everyone can start on even footing again, will be the biggest hit EVAR!!!1!!11! It's not the case and it is never the case.

People like to remember the good old days, but even with a shard based on those good old days it is still not the same. The times have changed, players have changed, the experience will not be the same. Players will experience the frustrating parts they forgot about and get tired of it quickly.

Basically there will be a big spike in people taking a trip down memory lane, then they'll all quit quickly and you will have some people who truly do like it that will stay. It will be populated but it will be smaller then the existing shards. It will bring in some players but not a ton and it won't be the biggest come back ever. People need to start putting their excitement into reality, this is why there is so much hate after every new MMO game, people psych themselves up to expectations levels that will never be met. Approach things realistically and you will rarely be let down.

I think it's safe to say, this won't be a huge revitalization. Some people will come and stay, some people will visit for awhile, and others will probably ignore a classic shard altogether. I'd still like to point out, however, that saying nostalgia is the key factor in bringing players back to this game is a fallacy. Ultima Online was fun for a reason, and is still fun for its mechanics, which you'll be hard pressed to find in other MMO's. Go look up the UO free shard listings. It might not be large enough to build a business, but a secondary server, of an older build? Thousands of players are still chasing that UO:T2A recreation they've always hoped for, and some of the solutions have been close. If the game itself wasn't fun to be playing anymore, these freeshards wouldn't still be running. Regardless, some of them are brimming with UO vets, or interested parties. These players, myself included, are playing on freeshards because there is little other choice, and most of these free servers are not the most graceful or elegant experiences. Showing those players that it's no longer necessary to pump fee's into hosting for their own servers, or the time it takes to build (or host on your own, even), would give cause for a fair portion of those players to consider paying a monthly fee, to ensure playing with a larger community, and on official servers.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

Katrar

Apprentice Member

8/18/10 1:51:09 PM#27

As someone that played original UO from day 1 for several years, and loved every minute of it, I think it needs to be acknowledged that its day is past. A decent number of people still play for nostalgic purposes but to even fool yourself for a second into believing a new generation of players could be enticed to move to first generation Ultima Online... that's not just wishful thinking, it's crazy talk.

I'm an old MUD/MUSH'er, I don't even need graphics... give me text, I'm fine, but even I acknowledge "history" when I'm looking at it.

Anubisan

Apprentice Member

8/18/10 1:53:38 PM#28
Originally posted by Rockgod99
See that bothers me. Trammel ruined uo because it gave players choice between safe and total chaos. People say that ruined uo. It took that fear feeling away. Here's my problem with this. Who's experience did it exactly ruin? If you wanted to live and hunt in a FFA environment and have that thrill of a realistic dangerous setting could you no longer do that? Of course you could. The reason every grieving asshole cried about trammel was now the sheep that wanted no part of pvp action or that fear had somewhere to play. It took the easy targets Away. I don't see an issue with giving players a choice, this is why I still support the current client. A true sandbox. Asandbox that gives a player a choice!!! ./ gets off soap box

They should have just created separate PvE/Consentual-PvP servers and offered free transfers. Trammel may have given the carebears a place to play in peace, but it totally ruined the game for all of the PvP players. It also totally thinned out the population on all servers because they were now split between two different dimensions. If you ask me, it totally sucked...

I would at least give a classic UO server a chance, but it might be too late for me. I loved UO and I played it for years, but I think the outdated graphics and gameplay would probably get to me at this point.

User Deleted
8/18/10 1:53:41 PM#29

No Trammel killed UO (and to a greater extent mmo's in general) because it removed the sense of community enforcement and social interaction and replaced it with an incredibly black and white ruleset.

True you got arsehats pre Trammel, but the community in general policed itself and you saw an incredible amount of social interaction for the benefit of all. Since Trammel there has been something of a divide in the community, more and more people went more and more casual and demanded more and more safe zones, whilst what was a small subset of griefers got taken over by the 'leet' crowd who spent more and more time griefing casuals.

Trammel was more then just  a change in rule set, it signified a change in the way mmo communities developed and more importantly how they divided.

Lawlmonster

Apprentice Member

Take my advice, I'm not using it anyway.

8/18/10 2:07:57 PM#30

It ruined mine, in answer to your first question. You're right, when you mention that you could still have that daring, dangerous, sandbox PvP experience if you still wanted. The problem with introducing Trammel had alot to do with what it did to the population of Felucca, though, and not that it actually changed the gameplay, but the tone of Sosaria. People can keep believing that the game was made up of griefers, but the fact of the matter is that original launch UO had a world filled with varied play styles, and none of them exceeded over the other in every field. There were players that spent their time policing dungeons for PK's, and that's true freedom. The ability to have players policing other players, rather than GM's or OS's. They didn't need to add an entirely new facet of the world to instantly give everyone a warm, safe feeling - they just needed to adjust the rewards for policing unpopular behavior. If you were constantly PK'ed, it was your own fault. It wasn't the players, or the game, because that was the nature of Ultima Online. It was you, perhaps a lack of understanding of how to play, or that you simply weren't good enough, but everyone had similar experiences starting out. It wasn't easy for anyone, and giving players a choice to make their world inherently safe changed the game for the worse. I believe the expansions that followed are the best proof of this.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

User Deleted
8/18/10 3:17:45 PM#31
Have you ever asked yourself why the population thinned out after trammel? Why there was such a divide and a outcry for more "safe" areas? maybe, just maybe people didn't want to be police or be policed? Maybe pre-trammel uo wasn't as good as you think it was. I mean shurely if pre-trammel was so fantastic the playerbase wouldn't have divided in such a way?
  Sinistrad

Novice Member

I use "brain" as a verb. As in,
"no can brain today. I has the dumb."

8/18/10 3:20:36 PM#32

Go play MO or Darkfall. :P

I fail to see any point here that hasn't already been discussed as nauseam.

User Deleted
8/18/10 3:22:59 PM#33
Originally posted by Sinistrad

Go play MO or Darkfall. :P

I fail to see any point here that hasn't already been discussed as nauseam.

I am :p

Given that this is a UO segment of the forums and that there is the potential for official classic servers being released, that certainly seems worth discussing.

Sort of lol.

User Deleted
8/18/10 3:26:58 PM#34
MO and DF cant compare to either version of UO even today's version literally kicks the shit out of those new kids on the block through complexity and depth in playstyles.
  User Deleted
8/18/10 3:29:24 PM#35
Have you ever asked yourself why the population thinned out after trammel? Why there was such a divide and a outcry for more "safe" areas? maybe, just maybe people didn't want to be police or be policed? Maybe pre-trammel uo wasn't as good as you think it was. I mean shurely if pre-trammel was so fantastic the playerbase wouldn't have divided in such a way?

The population thinned because it was a crap update that split the community, I thought I'd already alluded to that point.

Certainly pre Trammel may not well have been as good as I recall, there is undoubtedly a touch of the old rose tinted glasses from my point of view as there will be from any person who reminisces (perhaps thats too strong a word) about gaming days gone by. But like it or not, the change that occured with Trammel (imho) set the trend for the subsequent glut of casual mmos. Now whether that is for the better or worse is all in the eye of the beholder, but it is clear that Trammel played a vastly important part in the 'casualisation' of the mmo genre and was the start of the split in the community at large.

Sinistrad

Novice Member

I use "brain" as a verb. As in,
"no can brain today. I has the dumb."

8/18/10 3:35:33 PM#36
Originally posted by bunnyhopper

The population thinned because it was a crap update that split the community, I thought I'd already alluded to that point.

Certainly pre Trammel may not well have been as good as I recall, there is undoubtedly a touch of the old rose tinted glasses from my point of view as there will be from any person who reminisces (perhaps thats too strong a word) about gaming days gone by. But like it or not, the change that occured with Trammel (imho) set the trend for the subsequent glut of casual mmos. Now whether that is for the better or worse is all in the eye of the beholder, but it is clear that Trammel played a vastly important part in the 'casualisation' of the mmo genre and was the start of the split in the community at large.

No kidding. The casuals have strangled everyone else with their drool-covered pocketbooks which vomit forth cash every time some two-bit developer releases a garishly colored, facerolling clickfest.

Hardcore gamers, or even gamers just looking for a bit more nuanced, complex and engaging games are VERY hard to please. So the question for developers becomes, do you want easy drool-slathered money, or slightly less moist, but difficult to obtain money?

I know the answer to that one, and I think the rest of us here do as well. :)

User Deleted
8/18/10 3:42:23 PM#37
How does wanting to play in a non- pvp environment make you a casual that ruined a genre?
  SnarlingWolf

Novice Member

8/18/10 3:45:49 PM#38
Originally posted by saker

I honestly don't think a classic shard would work that well now, players were a more mature breed in those days.

Back then you could all stand around outside of town and not have everyone mindlessly ganking everyone, even though it was allowed.

I remember giving this a try waaaaay back in the day and all I saw was people being instantly attacked outside town.

On the other hand I do agree that the "community" in general was more mature back-in-the-day.

That was not my experience at all and I played the moment it was released, once the red/grey/blue system went in I left to try EQ which didn't sit well and then hopped into AC when it opened and stayed there.

My main characters had max pick pocket/snooping abilities and I used to snag things from people and I still didn't get group ganked, everyone would watch the one on one fight and see who came out the victor. A couple times while wandering around I had people pop out from behind houses and chase me for 15 minutes trying to kill me, but I always chalked that up to having bandits in the world, it wasn't a common occurence. I could walk right by people in dungeons and they could walk by me without anyone ganking anyone else. For a FFA PvP world it was extremely civil. Perhaps I just didn't pick the douche-bag server, I think I was on Chesapeake. I literally never witnessed someone get randomly ganked. All the people I saw get killed were ones that picked a fight or pissed people off enough to make them kill them. I saw a lot of thievery, and I also did a lot of thievery (and then looting after I killed the guy who attacked me because he was mad I stole from him) but ganking just wasn't a part of my experiences.

The red blue grey system went in within a couple months of launch, so it is certainly possbile that the crowd got less mature after that point/as the game got more well known. To me it was a sign of the direction the game was going (and I was right) so I jumped ship as soon as I spent a week trying it out. 

Zinzan

Advanced Member

8/18/10 3:47:32 PM#39
Originally posted by Honeymoon69

no, classic Daoc > classic UO

Thats it, right there in a nutshell.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

Robsolf

Hard Core Member

Let go of my ears, I know what I'm doing!

8/18/10 3:54:16 PM#40

Something tells me news of a UO classic shard will light the eyes of many of the board folk here.  Launch day would come bringing in a sizable number of people.  Soon after, the rose colored glasses will come off, and the server will make post-Trammel look like rush hour Japan.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search