Trending Games | Forsaken Uprising | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Destiny

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,862,806 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,247,685
Broadsword Online Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 09/30/97)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$09.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Ultima Online Forum » Britannia Tavern (General) » To old UO Vets: One last push?

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
46 posts found
  uohaloran

Novice Member

Joined: 11/16/05
Posts: 832

3/16/10 2:31:15 AM#21

In retrospect, I don't think I would want pre-publish 16 stuff now. The ruleset and all of that was great for when it came out - it was like the wild west in a fantasy setting.

I just have my doubts that they'd even be able to pull it off. Even the emulated shards aren't perfect after years of tweaking. With the lack of enthusiasm from EA/Mythic I don't think I'd even want them to try.

It's a rose tinted glasses situation that a lot of people won't admit to. Sure, the item based changes were the most unfortunate changes of all, but the core of UO has improved in many other areas that it would almost be a step backwards if you were to only revert the item oriented changes. And to be honest, the item stat changes weren't so bad - they did allow for more interesting templates, but it was insurance that was the real kicker in all of it because you could amass such ridiculous gear and never worry about losing it.

It isn't worth the time and manpower so people can feel nostalgic for a week. Instead, they should be moving forward, not backwards. EA has sat on this title for way too long. It's getting time that they actually do something with it or get rid of it so someone else can salvage the carcass.

  obii

Novice Member

Joined: 7/17/04
Posts: 781

3/17/10 4:49:54 AM#22

Forward would be raising levelcaps to 140 and stats too and introducing new items ?

The UO system was not really designed to be itembased and there is only so much new land/races you can add before it gets redundant.

  Smartwhois

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/24/07
Posts: 58

3/17/10 7:33:54 AM#23

 


Originally posted by uohaloran

 

It isn't worth the time and manpower so people can feel nostalgic for a week. Instead, they should be moving forward, not backwards.


 

 

It's not a matter of nostalgia, it's a matter of gameplay. In the case of UO gameplay, going forward means taking many steps back, since the steps forward so far have been worse than where they started.

"Moving forward," is a the typical bullshit excuse for the disaster that is EA UO. You're not "moving forward" if the game is getting worse.

  User Deleted
3/17/10 8:46:16 AM#24
Originally posted by uohaloran

In retrospect, I don't think I would want pre-publish 16 stuff now. The ruleset and all of that was great for when it came out - it was like the wild west in a fantasy setting.

I just have my doubts that they'd even be able to pull it off. Even the emulated shards aren't perfect after years of tweaking. With the lack of enthusiasm from EA/Mythic I don't think I'd even want them to try.

It's a rose tinted glasses situation that a lot of people won't admit to. Sure, the item based changes were the most unfortunate changes of all, but the core of UO has improved in many other areas that it would almost be a step backwards if you were to only revert the item oriented changes. And to be honest, the item stat changes weren't so bad - they did allow for more interesting templates, but it was insurance that was the real kicker in all of it because you could amass such ridiculous gear and never worry about losing it.

It isn't worth the time and manpower so people can feel nostalgic for a week. Instead, they should be moving forward, not backwards. EA has sat on this title for way too long. It's getting time that they actually do something with it or get rid of it so someone else can salvage the carcass.

 

 

If for some sick crazy reason EA Games did give us a true classic shard, count on me playing forever. I was devistated when EA Games destroyed UO. I could write 20 novels on why classic UO was great and all the fantastic things that I got to do back then. I know that there are people like you who can't stand classic UO, that does not mean that you have to play classic UO if they did give us a classic shard. Not giving us a classic shard is a very bad business move.

  vaultbrain

Novice Member

Joined: 4/07/09
Posts: 123

 
OP  3/25/10 5:27:57 PM#25

@Smartwhois

Bravo, well said indeed!

  games72

Novice Member

Joined: 4/21/06
Posts: 31

3/28/10 11:37:07 PM#26

My feeling on "classic" servers is usually pretty negative, mainly for the A) split community, and B) It's never as good the second time around. 

However, having said that, I'm thinking this could be the perfect time for this!  It may just be me, but I feel kinda an overall sense of tiredness or disappointment from the MMO community that so many newer titles have failed to deliver.  Personally I've been trying to get off WoW for awhile now, but I'm decently established there and other games, even LOTR, seem cool, but do I want to spend time from level 1 just playing the same general type of game I've played in WoW? No... Give me the excitement of an approaching PK, give me the strategy of comabt in UO... to go back to my first love and first experience ever in MMO's, now that could be something, now I'm getting excited again!

  User Deleted
4/11/10 7:40:52 PM#27

I went to the classic shard thread again today and was not surprised again. This is what I say, screw it, classic UO is done for good. There are way to many long time UO startics members with lound mouths in the classic shard thread that want classic UO back with very harsh restriction for PvP/PKing that go beyond was was implemented in the classic days. We all know how the UO developers give into and cater to the carebears, their past actions have shown us. I swear to god if I had Bill Gates cash I would buy out UO, I would pay them 5 times UO's worth just so I could close down ALL the shards except for one and that shard would be true classic UO.

 

I think it's time to just say, we played the best MMO in the best of times and we are left with great memories. Let the loud mouths have their sugar coated, carebear, lolipop version of classic UO.

  games72

Novice Member

Joined: 4/21/06
Posts: 31

4/12/10 7:19:17 AM#28

I've peeked in at the conversation over on stratics a few times and I'd have to agree with Ocllo, the UO we loved is likely gone forever.  I don't know how many old Vets would come back or even know about it, and I'm not all that excited to join the community that is there. 

  User Deleted
4/12/10 8:59:17 AM#29
Originally posted by games72


I've peeked in at the conversation over on stratics a few times and I'd have to agree with Ocllo, the UO we loved is likely gone forever.  I don't know how many old Vets would come back or even know about it, and I'm not all that excited to join the community that is there. 

/Agree, there are not to many true classic UO vets on the stratics forums. There are some but they are the ones that hated the freedom that classic UO gave, I'm sure you have read their posts. They think classic UO was just a non-stop gank o rama, they are on crack. I remember the old days having evil PK's and also anti PK's as well who fought the PK's. Yes, if you did go farm in classic UO in a dungeon for a long period of time, you would get PKed. I also remeber making friends while being in dungeons. I also remeber my friends and guild mates who I am still friends with to this day who had my back in game. I farmed from time to time in the old days but made bank trips every so often. I do not remember classic UO being a non-stop gank o rama. I also remeber traveling around the world and running into people, it was 85% of the time (hail friend) and I would have made friends. I did PK in UO with my mage but when I was on my warrior I was fighting PK's.

  Mister_Bit

Novice Member

Joined: 6/20/08
Posts: 47

4/12/10 9:13:45 AM#30

If classic server means I can once again kill, loot and chop someone to pieces with my butcher's knife, leaving dismembered arms, legs, torso and gibs all over the road to Trinsic then I'm all for it haha!

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep. ~Navajo Proverb

  korr

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/18/04
Posts: 302

TACO! TACO! TACO!

4/12/10 9:38:02 AM#31

I would be more then happy to fork out the cash for a classic server. 

I always enjoyed how you never knew what some one would do.  you always watched your back and just because some one left you alone didnt mean they werent a threat. 

 

I remember my brief time as a friendly red.  I would run around looking for noobs and heal them and give them some gear... after i got them to stop running hehe.

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

  Anubisan

Advanced Member

Joined: 1/09/05
Posts: 1833

4/12/10 9:39:49 AM#32

As much as I loved UO back in the day, I don't think I could go back again. Even for a classic server...

Its just been too long and I've been spoiled by games with massively superior graphics and controls at this point.

  Briansho

Novice Member

Joined: 3/05/06
Posts: 4789

Functionless Art is Simply Tolerated Vandalism...We Are The Vandals.

4/12/10 12:59:15 PM#33

They could do it but there would be some annoyances at first. It's like people who take their kids to see the Southpark movie. They think its for kids but when they get in there they don't like it, sit through it, and complain.  It probably wouldn't last long. Carebears from the regular shards would whine about stuff they want that's implemented on the classic shards. Devs would probably get frustrated and either close the server or put it through a progression thru the expansions until it catches up to the other shards to calm down the crybabys.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

  User Deleted
4/13/10 9:41:34 AM#34
Originally posted by Briansho


They could do it but there would be some annoyances at first. It's like people who take their kids to see the Southpark movie. They think its for kids but when they get in there they don't like it, sit through it, and complain.  It probably wouldn't last long. Carebears from the regular shards would whine about stuff they want that's implemented on the classic shards. Devs would probably get frustrated and either close the server or put it through a progression thru the expansions until it catches up to the other shards to calm down the crybabys.

 

/Agree and what gets me is that those carebears that hated classic UO played the game from 1997 to when EA games destroyed the game. Why in gods holy name would you keep paying a monthly fee for a game that you hated so much and for that long? EA games gave these carebears the fking game that they wanted, why do they have to fking bitch about EA games giving the classic UO fans a classic shard? These piles of shit want to fking piss carebear rainbows on a classic shard..... WTF? If they hated classic UO so much.... why the fk do they care what EA games does?

 

Can you imagine classic UO with very harsh restrictions for PvP/PKing that go far beyond what was implemented in the classic days? No thanks!!!

  Smartwhois

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/24/07
Posts: 58

4/18/10 2:22:44 AM#35

It's kind of funny, the debate between classic UO and current UO resembles the debate between freedom and government.

Some people like to be free, others want government to control everything.

  vaultbrain

Novice Member

Joined: 4/07/09
Posts: 123

 
OP  5/09/10 9:20:33 PM#36
Originally posted by Anubisan

As much as I loved UO back in the day, I don't think I could go back again. Even for a classic server...

Its just been too long and I've been spoiled by games with massively superior graphics and controls at this point.

 Pffft, superior graphics, but shitty game content. Oh, wow, you get to endlessly grind for the next set of hot items in a never ending rat race! Amazing!.......not. Thats all it is anymore, graphics and the item rat race. It leaves the game hollow and pointless, especially when you manage to get those hot new items. Youre stuck waiting for the next expansion for something new to do.

As for controls, dont make me laugh. Pretty much every game out there now handles the same way....lousy. UO, for its simple controls, handled WAY better than any of the mainstream games out there now.

I would take old UO's superior open ended sandbox content and 2d sprite graphics over all the pretty item rat race games out there now.

  madiguana

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/14/10
Posts: 1

5/14/10 10:33:47 AM#37

I have quited UO for quite some time now...

Started to play back in 1998. By then UO was a tough game that you had to learn how to play the hard way...

Still remember my 1st char and main one tough the end. Ivanhoe - Atlantic Shard. Born in Yew ... got pked 1st time he got out of the guarded zone ( in the Yew Xroads) .

If i remember well it was a +18 game by then. I saw choped corpses along the yew road, legs, arms ...

I felt some kind of fear... so for me and for other starters .. traveling in groups was safer ( people interaction ).

When my weps or armor was ruined i had to look for a smith to repair it,  ( people interaction ) ... BODS killed this...

I remember to see "headhunters" traveling in groups to kill PK's to get rewards...

Game had much more depth and people depended each other much more, what we usually call a society...

As soon as Origin left the "leash" EA made game for +12 ... we cant collect heads from people in our shelf any more...

we dont nee each other skills now because we have bods , we cant get atacked unless we want to ... 

i miss old UO, i wouldt mind the old graphs... loved the gameplay, blood rush, interaction, freedom to do what even we wanted to....

Polymorph really worked by then....

Used to poly into a chicken and wonder around near woodcutters to get atacked ... then KAL VAS FLAM 

well could be here forever reminding stories of old UO .... but one thing i know... ORIGINS poWnS EA 

LORD BRITISH FTW

 

 

  aesbestos

Novice Member

Joined: 1/05/06
Posts: 81

7/16/10 10:04:37 AM#38

I realize this thread is a bit old...  Just wondering if there has been any word on this?

 

As mentioned, the free shards running hybridish rules are all over the place.  The more popular ones having 1000+ at any given time.  EA could release a server and draw all those players back on a more stable, even server and just be racking in the cash.  The thing about classic players, is they like the game it is... so no need to be working on expansions for the server.  Just make sure it is running.   Heck, players ran most of the events in UO, anyways.  I remember dungeon runs where 100s of people flooded into dungeons to wipe the floor with all the mobs.

  Kezzadrix

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/21/10
Posts: 87

7/16/10 10:21:44 AM#39
Originally posted by Stellos

I would love to see classic servers, without the lag that we had to deal with in early UO.  That would be great!

I didn't have much lag & I was on dial-up internet at that time.  =P

I don't think i'd return to UO. I really liked the game in it's time, I played for 4 years or so but just too much has changed. Ventrillo, Razor/Sallos alone has taken much of the challenge out of the game.

UO was a classic though! One of my all time favorites.

  Nivez

Novice Member

Joined: 2/04/07
Posts: 98

7/16/10 10:22:36 AM#40

Anything Pre Tram would keep me happy. Anyone remember Abyss test Color Wars?!?!?

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search