Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,485 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,294,644
Broadsword Online Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 09/30/97)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$09.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Ultima Online Forum » Britannia Tavern (General) » Who is going to buy Stygian Abyss?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
39 posts found
  User Deleted
9/09/09 9:30:43 AM#21
Originally posted by metalhead980
Originally posted by SgtFrog

the trial is not wroking for me :(

Give it a bit, yesterday my Shard Catskills was down a bunch. The expansion released yesterday.

I know it suxs but  server issues are common the week of a patch.

Hang on buddy it's worth it.

lol ok will do, I have actually wanted to try out this game for a long time but have been discourage by its age...but the new expansion should hopefully fill up the servers a bit.

metalhead980

Apprentice Member

9/09/09 9:36:37 AM#22

Give it a bit, yesterday my Shard Catskills was down a bunch. The expansion released yesterday.

lol ok will do, I have actually wanted to try out this game for a long time but have been discourage by its age...but the new expansion should hopefully fill up the servers a bit.

When you first log on the server list is sorted by population activity that second. I suggest logging on at your main play time and selecting the server at the top.

Good luck and Happy hunting.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

WeaponX

Novice Member

Live to Beta Test.

9/09/09 9:46:22 AM#23
Originally posted by WeaponX

Thanks Bud

If it will let me make that window bigger I might be back =)

Good news man!!!! I called the wife and she got off WoW for a few minutes to see if we could stretch the screen and you can!!!

See you in game bro.

Thanks Metal and give my thanks to your wife.

I D/L the new client lastnight and started the 14 day trial OMG I feel like such a noob now. I played UO for 6 years logged in lastnight and was like ok what do I do now LOL

What server do you play on? I was on GL so thats where I started my new char. I was shocked at how many ppl were around in the starter town.

Assassin's like to do it in the dark and from behind.

metalhead980

Apprentice Member

9/09/09 9:53:18 AM#24

Thanks Bud

If it will let me make that window bigger I might be back =)

Good news man!!!! I called the wife and she got off WoW for a few minutes to see if we could stretch the screen and you can!!!

See you in game bro.

Thanks Metal and give my thanks to your wife.

I D/L the new client lastnight and started the 14 day trial OMG I feel like such a noob now. I played UO for 6 years logged in lastnight and was like ok what do I do now LOL

What server do you play on? I was on GL so thats where I started my new char. I was shocked at how many ppl were around in the starter town.

IM playing on Catskills shard, name is Minmataro and I'm also relearning everything I haven't played since Early 2002.

Hopefully I can get some solid playtime in this weekend. As I get older I have less and less time to play these games.

How dare RL get in the way of my MMOs!!!!!

LOL! see you in game bud.

User Deleted
9/09/09 9:55:12 AM#25

I think ill just boot up this instead

. One of the best games ever:

metalhead980

Apprentice Member

9/09/09 9:57:34 AM#26
Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

LOL goodtimes!

I still own near every old school Ultima Rpg. Games are still good even today.

WeaponX

Novice Member

Live to Beta Test.

9/09/09 9:58:58 AM#27

WOW Blood can I use your time machine, I would hate to see your computer room I bet you have a 8088 sitting in the corner don't you?  =P

I have one in the attic hehe BUT you are right that was a great game.

User Deleted
9/09/09 10:01:07 AM#28

No need for a time machine my friend.

There are quite a few places to find a (legal) emulator that lets you play old dos games.

WeaponX

Novice Member

Live to Beta Test.

9/09/09 10:03:16 AM#29

Hey Metal I am at work now and did not get much time to play around lastnight, is there a way to send tells now? back in the day we used ICQ.

Thought I might create a char. on Cat and give you a shout I hope to get in some good time this weekend as well.

WeaponX

Novice Member

Live to Beta Test.

9/09/09 10:04:44 AM#30

No need for a time machine my friend.

There are quite a few places to find a (legal) emulator that lets you play old dos games.

Yea I know I just could not beleave you could pull that one out of my long lost past LOL

Coldren

Advanced Member

9/09/09 10:06:13 AM#31
Originally posted by Erlijus

So my question : is this "Enhanced client" the only modern option for playing the game? Or is there a 3rd client (the one you are refering to as 3d client) that I am not aware of?

It is the only modern option that will be supported. The client is much more stable. The Enhanced Client as it is now called was more stable in beta for me than KR was at release and well beyond, and I say that as someone who was in closed beta for KR and closed beta for everything Stygian Abyss related.

Secondly, there is  a reason the older graphics are what is used. The problem with having a game over a decade old is that people grow accustomed to how the game looks and feels. KR was a radical shift in the art style, and it was unnerving for a lot of players. The hope at launch of KR was to get a 95% adoption rate so that they could discontinue the classic client. Needless to say, they weren't even in the same solar system as that number. The older lookin art in the enhanced client is a conscious decision on the part of the Dev's to increase the adoption rate, and I think, a smart one. You can't just change they appearnce (or style) of a virtual world people have inhabited for over a decade and expect it to go over well, even if it offers a higher resolution.

To really move forward, they need to get as many people playing the game as possible on one client. They should have taken the old style and bumped up the quality and redid the assets so they were smoother. Saphireena, a UO Stratics poster, showed what UO could look like at a higher resolution, and still keep the style.

http://www.andrea.net/uo/general/art/hrc_unicorn.shtml

The style of UO has always been liked by it's players.. Now it's the resolution they need to address.

tarlon

Novice Member

9/09/09 10:06:28 AM#32

love UO of course im getting SA

skills, open world, professions = no other game can match UO...but they keep trying.

The crafting professions animations are unmatched in any other game. 

MacroPlanet

Advanced Member

Astronomy, art, games, and a cup of coffee.

OP  9/09/09 11:01:52 AM#33

The two servers (shards) I would recommend are either Atlantic or Catskills.

Atlantic has the most amount of people in the game.

Catskills has a great amount of people as well, but I think the community in Catskills is some of the best in the game.  There are some great player run events that happens too (each month Hawkeye Pike will have a black market sale...it's really engaging)

Best MMORPG:
Ultima Online
EVE Online
World of Warcraft
DayZ

Coldren

Advanced Member

9/09/09 1:13:58 PM#34
Originally posted by MaeEye

Catskills has a great amount of people as well, but I think the community in Catskills is some of the best in the game.  There are some great player run events that happens too (each month Hawkeye Pike will have a black market sale...it's really engaging)

Have to agree with you there. I play on Catskills as well, and it's been my home since 1998. Some really great people I've met in my time there.

We have much in common, MaeEye. I also am a UO vet who enjoy's WoW.

MacroPlanet

Advanced Member

Astronomy, art, games, and a cup of coffee.

OP  9/10/09 10:05:33 AM#35
Originally posted by Coldren
Originally posted by MaeEye

Have to agree with you there. I play on Catskills as well, and it's been my home since 1998. Some really great people I've met in my time there.

We have much in common, MaeEye. I also am a UO vet who enjoy's WoW.

Awesome!  I think quite a few old UO players play in WoW.  Not sure why, but it's good to see ;-)

When I first started UO, I played a lot of Napa Valley and Chessy.  But I would say in my later UO life, I was a Catskills person.  I enjoyed my time in Catskills way more than Napa or Chessy.  It really is a nice home to have as far as shards go.

Best MMORPG:
Ultima Online
EVE Online
World of Warcraft
DayZ

snicol

Novice Member

9/10/09 10:24:29 PM#36

Thinking about coming back, i have an account from Jan 98 still retrievable. My question is what is the population like on GL shard? And if its kinda defunct do they have server transferablity? Thanks all cant wait to get back ingame.

Coldren

Advanced Member

9/11/09 8:57:50 AM#37
Originally posted by snicol

Thinking about coming back, i have an account from Jan 98 still retrievable. My question is what is the population like on GL shard? And if its kinda defunct do they have server transferablity? Thanks all cant wait to get back ingame.

Sorry, can't speak for GL, but I can tell you, you can buy Transfer tokens for characters. If you go to the site below, you can buy a transfer code for a character.

http://www.uogamecodes.com/store/prod_detail.asp?ProdID=UOCHARTRANSFER&CartID={0DE63ADC-5197-4B57-9BC8-7333DFE4470D}&PromoID=996

Hope this helps.

Ordero

Novice Member

9/15/09 3:59:46 AM#38

So what's it like playing the brand new Gargoyle race (or is it a class), thinking maybe I should give this a go and with a new race/class introduced it seems like a good jumping-on point.

Arthineas

Novice Member

9/23/09 9:49:15 AM#39

I just wanted to point out that it seems UO has reactivated all old accounts until Oct 16 I believe.  I am going to log on a try UO again myself.  I might possibly get the expansion after that time as well.  I am currently playing AoC and really enjoying myself.  But UO was always my favorite.  Check out the announcement on the main page here

http://www.uoherald.com/news/

Sounds like you just download one of the two clients and log in with your old information.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search