Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,814,917 Users Online:0
Games:731  Posts:6,213,810
Broadsword Online Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 09/30/97)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$09.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Ultima Online Forum » Britannia Tavern (General) » If you left right after Trammel you are NOT a vet

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
32 posts found
  Sortran

Novice Member

4/30/09 12:31:30 AM#21
Originally posted by Netzoko

I can't help but cringe at the massive amounts of posts with stuff like, "I played from release to about 2 years after, now the game sucks. The old UO was better"

You guys have -no- idea what you're even talking about. You know defines a vet in a game? Playing it for a long period of time. This same thing happened with SWG. Just because you started playing at release does not mean you are the all-knowing veterans. Vets are the ones who stuck around and played the game for what it was. Even today UO is more alive than 95% of the MMOs on this site. Even new games like AoC and WAR... you run around for hours and never see anyone. Hop on UO and you are again in a massively online game.

To sum up: The people who claim to be vets who played for a few years do NOT have the right to bash the game. The real players are sick of you wannabes trashing a game you know nothing about.

heres your problem, their postings are their opinions whether you like it or not. and in 2 years people can invest a huge amount of time into a game, and some will log more hours in 2 years then supposed vets who play far longer.

Playing: Not much actively.
Games played: to many to list, been playing MMO's since 2001
--------------------------

MustaphaMond

Novice Member

"History is bunk."

4/30/09 12:59:46 AM#22
Originally posted by Fibsdk

Gaming doesn't make you a geek or a nerd..bragging about your online accomplishments certainly does.

You almost say that as if being a geek/nerd is a negative thing....  I guess for some people it might be, but I'm both geek and nerd and I don't see the problem with being either (or growing more geeky or nerdy by one's actions).  

....BTW, I am a lvl 2901-00202 bard with an uber-leet +1 sword of madrigal malice and a extremely rare harp of heavenly hatred... I am a vet of blah-blah for the past billion years. Ph33r m3!!!!!!!!!!!111111

(>_>;)

7Fold

Apprentice Member

Achiever 40.00%, Explorer 13.33%, Killer 100.00%, Socializer 46.67%

5/13/09 3:20:44 AM#23

Im not calliing myself a vet. I played from 97-2000. I play trammel for awhile but it just sucked that the player base was split,. I mean come on think about games of today, they dont split the playerbase like that into a seperate land base. They simply make pvp and non pve servers, simple as that. And I dont think UOR would have gotten the wrap it did if thats how they handled it back then, just split the servers up into PVE and PVP and allow us to transfer. They did a piss poor job and thats why people hate Trammel,. So im not a vet then, cause that did suck.

kishe

Advanced Member

firefighter lvl90

5/25/09 4:13:27 PM#24
Originally posted by 7Fold

Im not calliing myself a vet. I played from 97-2000. I play trammel for awhile but it just sucked that the player base was split,. I mean come on think about games of today, they dont split the playerbase like that into a seperate land base. They simply make pvp and non pve servers, simple as that. And I dont think UOR would have gotten the wrap it did if thats how they handled it back then, just split the servers up into PVE and PVP and allow us to transfer. They did a piss poor job and thats why people hate Trammel,. So im not a vet then, cause that did suck.

I played UO from 1998 till 2006, all games have built new lands...even WoW did it by introducing Burning Crusade.

Deal is, pre-trammel UO was losing customers, you can blame newbie gankers for that...post Trammel the numbers actually grew...I stood in fel all time and only ones that left was people who used to attack noobs for their rusty knifes and run away when I came around...if you were truly a vet, you'd been there to see that.

Only thing that changed with Trammel is that newbies went to Trammel, pvpers stood in Fel, noob gankers quit.

AoS is what killed UO. It turned the game to 2d WoW.

retiredmj

Advanced Member

5/26/09 10:42:25 AM#25

I'm really confused by the people that say Tram didn't do its part in killing UO...

Tram and its lame arse power hour took being a 2 or 3x GM (especially in crafting) from an accomplishment to anything less than a 5x GM newbie territory.  Also the house placing wars, whether intentional design or not, was always great PvP and another profession one could take up.

Sure, AOS made the game complete crap but Tram did its part.  The downfall of the game began and will end in EA's hands, I still don't get why EA deviates from the Madden series it is about the only thing that company can do right.

I played pre-tram and actually quite right when tram came out, power hour made me sick.  Taking my skills that I accomplished over 2 years and making it possible to duplicate them in roughly a month.  I also came back and played the game about a year ago and tried it for a couple months, it is complete junk, the BoD system is a joke, insurance is a joke, elves are a joke, luna is a joke, the game itself is a joke...as said by the previous poster this game is now a crappy 2D version of WoW.  Funny thing is WoW's crafting system may even be better...that's saying something.

ElGuappo

Novice Member

5/27/09 1:32:31 AM#26

I started playing a few months before housing suddenly made my old 56k modem croak and die as the screen slowly filled with keeps stuffed with vendors all selling a chair.

Personally I loved Trammel and I loved power hour. I'm actually trying to get my old account info back (long forgotten user and pw) so I can play it again. Might even have to start again because, for some reason, the game has so many fond memories, all of which will no doubt shrivel up and die if/when I get back in.

The ruptured capillaries in your nose belie the clarity of your wisdom.

Semiel

Advanced Member

6/04/09 10:02:30 AM#27

Trammel did not kill the game. It became actually much more successful after and peaked at about 250k subscribers shortly after the release of AoS. Then it all went downhill (and rightly so)...

AllNewMMOSuk

Novice Member

6/04/09 10:07:34 AM#28

I can't help but cringe at the massive amounts of posts with stuff like, "I played from release to about 2 years after, now the game sucks. The old UO was better"

You guys have -no- idea what you're even talking about. You know defines a vet in a game? Playing it for a long period of time. This same thing happened with SWG. Just because you started playing at release does not mean you are the all-knowing veterans. Vets are the ones who stuck around and played the game for what it was. Even today UO is more alive than 95% of the MMOs on this site. Even new games like AoC and WAR... you run around for hours and never see anyone. Hop on UO and you are again in a massively online game.

To sum up: The people who claim to be vets who played for a few years do NOT have the right to bash the game. The real players are sick of you wannabes trashing a game you know nothing about.

First of all it depends on your defintion of a long period of time. Playing a game for a year+ would be a long period of time to most people so there's your first mistake. Second look at how the word veteran is used in society, in the military you don't have to have served for 20 years to be a vet, you could serve for 2 and be a vet. So once again assuming that people had to keep playing once UO was screwed up to all hell to be called a vet is ridiculous.

Anyone who wants can bash the game, anyone who played for a year or two can call themselves a vet, and accept it more people currently think the game sucks then think it is good. You love UO, good for you, but get a grip on reality at the same time.

Tryken

Ultima Online Correspondent

Some editors are failed writers, but so are most writers. - T.S. Eliot

6/07/09 8:07:55 AM#29

Actually, those who left the game right after Trammel have failed to experience seven years of updates and changes. I don't call that a veteran. "I played for two years" is not a veteran. "I played for five+ years" is a veteran in my book. Don't judge a game you haven't played (and by this I mean those who say "it's a different game now. And it SUCKS" to these people I say then play the "new" game).

And elves weren't a horrible addition. Just like gargoyles and Stygian Abyss won't be. It's relevant to the Ultima universe.

Keep those MMO fingers busy, my friends!

- Ryan

vaultbrain

Novice Member

6/08/09 12:12:30 AM#30

Agreed. I played from just after release up to Mondain's Legacy, at which point the game was so Fked up I couldnt even play it anymore.

Seriously, you had to have endured the hells of Trammel, AOS, and Samurai Empire to truly call yourself a veteran of that butchering of UO.

RonixEnclave

Novice Member

7/12/09 10:15:53 PM#31

With so many MMORPG's on the market and different online games, I don't see people playing MMO's past  2 years, or even one year. 

So I guess no one will ever be a Vet again.

User Deleted
8/08/09 10:10:24 PM#32

I started playing in December of 1997, a few months after release. I've never cancelled my sub and I still play. I've tried other games but nothing comes close to UO.

I just started using the SA beta client and I like it. It's better than the KR client and has the original graphics instead of the crappy KR "updated" graphics. The best of both worlds.

I'm really looking forward to SA.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search