Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,797,839 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,195,709
Broadsword Online Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 09/30/97)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$09.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Ultima Online Forum » Game Suggestions » Ways to make Ultima Online Stronger from a six year avid player.

2 posts found
  Tryken

Ultima Online Correspondent

Some editors are failed writers, but so are most writers. - T.S. Eliot

OP  1/08/09 8:58:27 PM#1

This is Tryken here, former DJ and still good friends with Whispering Rose Radio.

I'm here to give some advice to things that, I think, would really pick up Ultima Online (without being too unreasonable).

The targets of my advice center around three things:

1.) Bringing in new subscribers

2.) Keeping current subscribers such as myself.

3.) Keeping the cost low in the process.

Kingdom Reborn was a great idea, but a project that, I have a feeling, cost a fortune for a very low result. Releasing with a memory leak, unfinished art, glitches, and overall bad impressions probably didn't help, either.

I also do NOT believe that a classic server would be a good choice. Random rants from angry players that didn't take the time to try the fixes the first time aren't going to care about a classic server. They're just in it to be bitter.

1.) My first thought, while taking effort, won't cost a fortune. COMBINE SHARDS/SERVERS. Now, there's inherent problems with the market and housing, right? That's going to have to be worked out. For housing, reimburse. The value of the house is paid to the player, and a box containing his goods can be placed in the bank. Naturally, players are going to be upset no matter what you choose, but the pros farly outweigh the cons.

Why do this: Servers are too empty as is. Why? Because there's too many shards. Take EVE Online, for example. Or, dare I say, Ragnarok Online. You have one to three servers that are well populated. When players enter a city they can expect to see it bustling with players, traders and the like. One of the worst things for a new subscriber, or a trial subscriber, is to come into a game and see it look like a graveyard. Ultima Online gives that impression, even though it's still quite active. There is just so much to be taken from server merges. It's been ten years, now. UO doesn't have the member base to support it. Also, having less servers mean less money spent on servers. As for the economy, like it does in democracy, it'll balance itself out over time.

2.) Player cities. Another modification on player housing? Gasp! The adventuring in UO has been beaten by houses in every spot of every piece of land. When I travel out, I feel like "Oh man, this thing is chasing after me, but I don't feel swashbuckling because, hey, look, eighty houses." 

Player cities can have many benefits for many players: First off, make a designated city hall be required for a given area space to allow houses to be placed. For each major continent, or land, make there be a limit cap on how many cities. For players to have their houses in cities, have them pay a tax rate set by the mayor of the city. Cities, then, can use those tax dollars to add in certain features such as: increase the size alloted to their city. Allow a banker to be placed in the city. City decorations, such as fountains, things like that (things like Star Wars Galaxies).

Now, it makes it so less people can have houses. That's true. But it also makes it so inactives don't have houses as they have to pay taxes for upkeep, making idle homes less of an issue. It also makes having a house, I think, a bit greater privelage (and larger houses from being rarer and of higher value). Naturally, the in game economy will  balance itself out over time with this.

3.) Keep the fourteen day trial. Do NOT require a credit card (I'm not sure if the current trial does). Obviously no player housing and some limitations for trial accounts.

Anyway, those are three ideas that will drastically boost player feelings on the game. I'm happy to see suggestions or comments about this thread. And I hope someone at UO is watching to take down these ideas.

Thanks for your time and consideration!

- Tryken

handshakes

Novice Member

Why does it hurt when I pee?

8/20/09 1:17:11 PM#2

I agree whole heartedly, especially to point #1. Sosaria is huge on its own, and when you add in the Fellucia mirror that just makes it all the more vast. It is disconcerting for a new player to log in for the first time and be able to wander around without seeing anyone.

Personally, I think they should also do something to cut down on the macroing to gain skills. IMO if they just made skill gains faster and more streamlined it would eliminate the need and appeal of macros. Ultima Online isn't like other MMOs where it is about experiencing the content in your level tier until you can progress to the next tier, so streamline the skilling process so that players can cap out efficiently and get to doing what UO does best: Allowing the players to do whatever they want.

Why does it hurt when I pee?