Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,860,410 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,247,229
Broadsword Online Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 09/30/97)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$09.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Ultima Online Forum » Game Suggestions » Why I left UO...

4 posts found
  Violation419

Advanced Member

PC ~ ps3/ps2/ps ~ wii/GC/nes/snes/n64 ~ xbox/xbox360 ~ I am the gamer.

OP  8/13/07 11:07:38 PM#1

In my belief, UO will be, and always has been, one of the best games ever made.  I was sad to see UO2 canceled because it also caused me to step aside.  I remember being a kid playing on an atari and my parents purchased a new TV with this amazing thing inside ... a Nintendo Entertainment System... WHOA.  Well, needless to say it wasn't long before the sNES came out and we purchased one... however we didn't have many games for it.  (keep reading this is on topic)

Even though we didn't have many games, and I had a ton of awesome games for the NES, I still stopped playing the NES all together and went on to the sNES because of the graphics.  Graphics are huge for me... so is sound.  I play games to emerse myself into a virtual world... I cant do that when all I see are 10 year old graphics.  World of Warcraft is such a lacking game... I tried it for over a year never happy... I quit that and it is the ONLY game that I am sorry I ever played (what a waste of game content).

UO is amazing, it is great, and I've been on the search for a game like it for the last four years (since I left UO)... and I still haven't found one.  As soon as UO steps up and makes a better looking game with the same content, no server lines (those might be gone... IDK), I'm going to be on that game and making all my friends play it... I was so excited when VSOH came out because I heard it was UO reborn...  However, the game isn't even close... it has a lot of the theory there... but UO is just a great game... the skill changing ability to drop and retrain at will to a new weapon without remaking a character... GREAT.  The ability to have your own home... GREAT.  The ability to teleport to your favorite grinding place as a wizzard (or with a scroll if you're not)... GREAT.  Watching the game to be sure bots dont take over... GREAT.  Having weekly events that you can attend and follow the story in... GREAT (the GMs were awesome... sparkles if you're still there from nappa valley ... <3 *hugs* you're the best!)  and the pvp around the moongates in fel... omg that was fun.  Stand there and talk, while killing people, and have a safe zone for a bathroom break... without a penalty of waiting 15 minutes to rejoin the fight (freakin WOW)... GREAT!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Think about making a new UO from the ground up... keep in the trainers, keep in the wizardry, keep in the RPG aspect and most of all KEEP THE GAME... but rebuild all the graphics.  Every hardcore gamer out there has the system to handle it... and as they say in one of the greatest flop movies ever... "If you build it they will come!" <3

Thanks to the dev's for the greatest game... and thanks for making a game that I could actually say I enjoyed (been looking for a long time and I cant find anything to your standards)  You rock, seriously.

-Klauth Legendary Necromage (hand played to a natural 120 in 3 skills)

-Kiyosutra Legendary Samurai (hand played to a natural 120 in 3 skills)

When will we get a UO style game with WoW dated graphics... Please see "Shroud of the Avatar" :)

Arutius

Apprentice Member

5/12/08 9:36:21 PM#2

"When will we get a UO style game with WOW graphics"

I couldn't have put it better myself.

Although I'm wondering if it's possible to create the magic of UO with a visual style like Warcraft.  Yes, UO graphics are lame in comparison to modern games, but the arial-view look of UO had its advantages...

For instance, housing was a big one.  Because you could see the entire house from a birds-eye view, you could see everything that made it unique.  And EVERY house was unique.  That was a big plus for the game.  Also, I think it hugely affected PVP as you could see the entire army that you were fighting against.  The feeling of dread when your enemies turned the corner to ambush you in Felucca was exilarating.

But as far as content wise, when will developers of MMORPGs FINALLY realize that people are getting old of the same old click-n-kill race for the twink gear type of game.  In UO (UO:R and before) having the best weapon (vanquish) meant you were good, but not invincible.  And you could lose it if you weren't careful.  There seemed to be no such thing as an 'end game' in UO because even if you had the best gear, a castle, and Glorious Lord as your title, the sheer RPing of the game would keep you coming back for more.  I have yet to see a MMO that came close to the quality of role playing in UO (before it became a race to get Arties) 

Maybe it was magical because I was a wide-eyed sixteen year old experiencing the MMORPG phenomenon for the first time and now I've grown up enough to where the novelty has worn off of such games.  Then again, I'm convinced UO had some special element that no other MMO has been able to touch.

*My sig was made lame by a lvl 2 rogue twink with glowing swords*

jj85624

Novice Member

5/12/08 9:42:44 PM#3

i loved UO as well. it was THE greatest game ever made!

maybe if someday DARKFALL come to live, it might be similiar with UO and has the WoW graphic? i can only dream lol

cagan

Novice Member

5/12/08 9:54:31 PM#4

Man having teleport spots in your spellbook and go to your grind and mining places instantly without riding the stupid gryphon for 15 mins.....

those were the days...