Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,899,898 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,268,741
Broadsword Online Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 09/30/97)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$09.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Ultima Online Forum » Game Suggestions » Bringing back the old.

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
24 posts found
  kjemper

Advanced Member

OP  6/01/07 11:17:28 PM#1

I know it has been said and will never come true, as EA has already stated, but I would love to see an original ruleset server.  There was nothing else like UO's open PvP system and even now the only thing is EVE online.  There is a growing niche market for a more "hardcore" PvP experience going unsatisfied.  It's too bad UO ever ruined their game by destroying their original open PvP system in a sandbox experience.

tylerwick

Novice Member

6/01/07 11:40:19 PM#2
Good ol' UO, Yea Id play it if it went back that far on a server.  Take out all expansions and all the new items and stupid neon colors.  When the world was a challenge.
  Dellucius

Novice Member

6/02/07 9:49:02 AM#3
Role play on Europa if you want to get away from all the item based pvp and neon hairs and elfs and other nonsense.
  LifeyMcLife

Novice Member

7/10/07 3:03:40 PM#4

If you are looking for the Old School UO experience, try out "In Mani Ylem."  Do a search for it and take a peek at what it has to offer.  The playerbase is small right now but it has a dedicated admin and dedicated/helpful players.

catfishcrack

Novice Member

7/28/07 4:00:40 PM#5

..if only the old ways returned ... i remember watching my dad play when i finally got it , i was disappointed on many aspects of the game

joeyboots

Novice Member

“The creative mind plays with the object it loves”
*Carl Jung

9/17/07 6:11:17 PM#6

Ok so I have asked this before on another thread but no answer yet. Isn't Siege Perilous supposed to be what you guys describe? If not, I would really like to know what the difference is between regular shards and siege. I heard it was for the old-schoolers with free-for-all pvp, pking, all that. Have I been misinformed? I know nothing of Siege because I play on Atlantic. 

OGJackson

Novice Member

9/23/07 11:59:51 AM#7

Siege is supposed to be the advanced players server.

But really is just like the other servers, except they can only bless 1 item, they have no insurance.

They also have a different way of gaining skills.

Ok, so what does all of this mean for advancing skills and stats on Siege Perilous?

• Skill points for skills under 70 points will gain as normal shards.
  • Skill points for skills between 70 and 79.9 points will gain a maximum of 3.6 points total per day, with a minimum of 5 minutes between point gained.
  • Skill points for skills between 80 and 98.9 points will gain a maximum of 2 points total per day, with a minimum of 10 minutes between point gained.
  • Skill points for skills 99.0 points and up will gain a maximum of 2 points total per day, with a minimum of 15 minutes between point gained.

They have the same AOS item system in place than other servers as well.

So really its just another regular production shard, just with a few tweaks.

I probably a few things as well, but that is mainly what SP is about.

Stellos

Novice Member

If you're going to stick it out there, don't be afraid if you get it cut off.

10/22/07 1:03:06 PM#8

Yeah it will never be the same, just face it.

Besides who doesn't love riding around on big blue beatles?  So authentic.  Oh, did I forget to mention the multicolored space ship looking housing?

Yeah, UO is done.  Let's just move on people.  It was fun while it lasted.  We have to move on if we are going to force them to make a UO 2!

FlynnQ

Novice Member

11/16/07 9:17:19 PM#9

When you read various forums you get a sense that  players want MORE PVP. Let me state up front, I didn't play UO until Trammel opened up.

Let me make a couple of observations. When I played UO I used to make and sell rune books for Trammel and Felucca, so I visited both areas frequently. Feluccca was almost empty; whereas you couldn't get space at the forge near Brit bank on Trammel. (Pacific)

I just started player Dungeon Runners. They have several servers--only one is PVP. Further, they show the number of players on each server. The PVP server never reaches 5% of the total. Indeed, yesterday there were nearly 500 on the regular servers and only 2 on the PVP server.

So, I suspect that PVPers are more vocal giving the false impression that PVP is more popular that it actually is.

What do you think?

Focker

Novice Member

11/24/07 1:40:08 PM#10

Originally posted by FlynnQ

When you read various forums you get a sense that  players want MORE PVP. Let me state up front, I didn't play UO until Trammel opened up.

Let me make a couple of observations. When I played UO I used to make and sell rune books for Trammel and Felucca, so I visited both areas frequently. Feluccca was almost empty; whereas you couldn't get space at the forge near Brit bank on Trammel. (Pacific)

I just started player Dungeon Runners. They have several servers--only one is PVP. Further, they show the number of players on each server. The PVP server never reaches 5% of the total. Indeed, yesterday there were nearly 500 on the regular servers and only 2 on the PVP server.

So, I suspect that PVPers are more vocal giving the false impression that PVP is more popular that it actually is.

What do you think?

Its not the PvP that everyone is crying about.  Its the patches they put into the game that made it boring.  People play in tram and other non "pvp" shards cause its easier.  Most people will chose the easy way out.  I for one like the pvp aspect because it made everything more challenging rather then having everything handed to me.

Irish_Red

Novice Member

12/04/07 11:55:54 AM#11

Originally posted by Stellos

Yeah it will never be the same, just face it.

Besides who doesn't love riding around on big blue beatles?  So authentic.  Oh, did I forget to mention the multicolored space ship looking housing?

Yeah, UO is done.  Let's just move on people.  It was fun while it lasted.  We have to move on if we are going to force them to make a UO 2!

UO isn't even close to being done. It was fun 10 years ago and is still fun today. 

There will never be a UO2. And it would be a crap game unless Richard produced it.

KaltesHerz

Novice Member

1/13/08 12:32:32 AM#12

Originally posted by Focker

What do you think?

Its not the PvP that everyone is crying about.  Its the patches they put into the game that made it boring.  People play in tram and other non "pvp" shards cause its easier.  Most people will chose the easy way out.  I for one like the pvp aspect because it made everything more challenging rather then having everything handed to me.

If so many people truly wanted pvp in any game, then the pvp servers would be full, and Felucca would be  packed out and it would be gankage as usual. Fact is, pvp'rs are a minority in the extremes, they just have bigger mouths.

Even in WoW, on a pvp server I can go days without anyone attacking me unless they outnumber me/my group. Pvp'rs like to talk a lot, but that's all it really is. It's like that in any game I've played and I've played everything that's out but EQ1.

Want a taste of religion? Lick a witch.

Focker

Novice Member

1/13/08 8:15:06 PM#13

Originally posted by KaltesHerz

What do you think?

If so many people truly wanted pvp in any game, then the pvp servers would be full, and Felucca would be  packed out and it would be gankage as usual. Fact is, pvp'rs are a minority in the extremes, they just have bigger mouths.

Even in WoW, on a pvp server I can go days without anyone attacking me unless they outnumber me/my group. Pvp'rs like to talk a lot, but that's all it really is. It's like that in any game I've played and I've played everything that's out but EQ1.

I dont think I ever said PVP is all that people truly want now did I?  You can take what i've said and bend it anyway you like, but its not what I said.  Ppeople will play the easier shards "PVE" only because its less challenging.  I played a Red in UO with one of my chars, and when I tried WOW I tried to non PVP server cause it was EASIER!!  Of course I ended up quiting after a few months because when I did want to PVP it was boring and had no reason to do so. 

Let me ask you this question.  If PVP isn't an important aspect of the game in UO, and only a "few" people PVP.  Why is it that UO is losing customers by the day?  That UO is at its lowest subscription.?

I think its funny how you left out any comment on the patches.  Ever since AOS came out and destroyed PVP,Thiefs, and anything else that made the game interesting,  its been going down hill

devacore

Novice Member

1/13/08 8:24:48 PM#14

What do you think?

Sure open pvp but you need hardcore rules to govern them if you want people to play.  Hey, some people like permadeath, how about if you are found quilty of murder your character is deleted... spoil the milk?

Focker

Novice Member

1/14/08 2:37:18 PM#15
Originally posted by devacore

What do you think?

Sure open pvp but you need hardcore rules to govern them if you want people to play.  Hey, some people like permadeath, how about if you are found quilty of murder your character is deleted... spoil the milk?

Sounds good, Then that way if your char dies from a "creature"  your perma dead also.  Have any other great ideas to add to this post?  Didn't think so..

Everyone can argue that PVP is so bad and it ruined the game, but all I have to do is look at its current state and laugh.  UO took out almost all of its PVP, and all the the risk in the game.  Their, you have it your way ,but now look at the game.   Hah, but your right...... PVP baaadddd

devacore

Novice Member

1/14/08 6:27:14 PM#16

Sounds good, Then that way if your char dies from a "creature"  your perma dead also.  Have any other great ideas to add to this post?  Didn't think so..

Everyone can argue that PVP is so bad and it ruined the game, but all I have to do is look at its current state and laugh.  UO took out almost all of its PVP, and all the the risk in the game.  Their, you have it your way ,but now look at the game.   Hah, but your right...... PVP baaadddd

I guess I'm right since they did change it.  Maybe they'll change it back but wouldn't hold your breath.

Focker

Novice Member

1/14/08 10:42:10 PM#17

Im not holding my breath.  UO is basicaly at its breaking point.  EA will squeeze as much money as they can out of the dedicated players who can't seem to close their account. No matter how much these players hate the state of the game they just can't leave cause its been a big part of their life.   Supscriptions are at an all time low, community is well... there is no community.    Unless UO makes some big changes which a large portion of it has to do with PVP and crafting, it wont last much longer. 

So go out their and get all that gold, and Items you can get!  Because sooner or later, your pixels wont be safe anymore.  Actualy, they wont even exist.

Vallend

Novice Member

1/15/08 9:15:03 PM#18

subscriptions are down because there has not been a true expansion in 2 years, and most of the Dev team were busy working on KR and SA. So not much new content was added to the game. Throw in the mass scripting and duping going on and the player base is frustrated.

UO is still one of the best games out there PVP, housing and collecting rare wise. Yes the PVPers are a very vocal group but their numbers are small. Showing that PVP is not what the average UO player wants. They want new stuff added to the game and new lands to explore not PVP taken back before AoS.

Before the Fel and Tram split greifers who enjoyed PKing Newbie players and craftsman had their field day. Most of these players left once they found out their victims moved to Tram to avoid them. (they had to fight other players then who wanted to PVP and they were not up to it.) So now Fel is filled with the true PVPers and we are glad to be rid of those cowards who claimed to be all about PVP, but really were about the rush in killing defenseless players.

Same goes for the thief class. They were used before Tram to steal players best items off them at the banks mostly. Thats why everyone banks in Tram now to avoid the pain and also why insurance was added too.  The Dev's had to make Tram or else UO would of gone under years ago because of all the griefing that was taking place.

If you want a game that isn't all about leveling and where you can place and design your own home, Play as a true craftsman, blacksmithing. mining, lumber jacking, etc, Grow plants, collect rares, role play at a player ran tavern, then UO is the game for you.  If you are all about griefing other players for fun then play something else, UO don't need you.

mcrippins

Advanced Member

1/15/08 9:40:55 PM#19

Originally posted by Vallend

subscriptions are down because there has not been a true expansion in 2 years, and most of the Dev team were busy working on KR and SA. So not much new content was added to the game. Throw in the mass scripting and duping going on and the player base is frustrated.

UO is still one of the best games out there PVP, housing and collecting rare wise. Yes the PVPers are a very vocal group but their numbers are small. Showing that PVP is not what the average UO player wants. They want new stuff added to the game and new lands to explore not PVP taken back before AoS.

Before the Fel and Tram split greifers who enjoyed PKing Newbie players and craftsman had their field day. Most of these players left once they found out their victims moved to Tram to avoid them. (they had to fight other players then who wanted to PVP and they were not up to it.) So now Fel is filled with the true PVPers and we are glad to be rid of those cowards who claimed to be all about PVP, but really were about the rush in killing defenseless players.

Same goes for the thief class. They were used before Tram to steal players best items off them at the banks mostly. Thats why everyone banks in Tram now to avoid the pain and also why insurance was added too.  The Dev's had to make Tram or else UO would of gone under years ago because of all the griefing that was taking place.

If you want a game that isn't all about leveling and where you can place and design your own home, Play as a true craftsman, blacksmithing. mining, lumber jacking, etc, Grow plants, collect rares, role play at a player ran tavern, then UO is the game for you.  If you are all about griefing other players for fun then play something else, UO don't need you.

Such a narrow-minded reply. To sum up your post:

Point 1 - If you like doing all the things I like to do blah blah blah then UO is the game for you!

Point 2 - If you dont like doing what I like to do, you're ignorant and stupid.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now onto the real point. Yes the pvp'ers that post here are a vocal minority, and they are loud. You would be too if they took away all your housing, plant farming, and player run taverns. You sum up all pvp'ers to be griefers, and players who essentially do childish things. This is a common fallacy. I played on LS pre:ren and I have to say it was by far the most fun. I wasnt a red pk'er although I did get into that some time later. Instead I would hunt pk's. But pk's weren't rampant. The ones you did see for the most part we're well known legends among the server's community. They were highly respected and highly feared. It wasn't mass chaos like the picture you are trying to paint. PvP was a very enjoyable aspect of the game, and by far the most fun ive had in any game. But hey.. if you think pvp'ers are a small minority, try out wow.

Vallend

Novice Member

1/16/08 10:30:21 PM#20

Hate to burst your bubble but I did and still do PVP and yes I am a 10 year player. My point is that UO has stuff for all kinds of players to do besides PVP. Plus there is a difference in my eyes between PVP and PKing. PVP is fighting someone who offers you a challenging fight. PKing is killing those weaker then you for the thrill of it.

My other point was UO got a very tarnished reputation because of all the griefing that took place when the game started.  That is what caused so many changes such as the making of Tram, to try and save the game from being destroyed by players who just wanted to take advantage of others.

UO was not all sunshine and roses back then, but there was a bad PK problem. (Do you remember the pass near Brit crossroads? Or half the moongates? There was always some PKs hidden and waiting at both those places. Or the PK sweeps through the dungeons? or a thief working the bank.) It was a lawless and exciting time, but many new players got frustrated after being PKed and losing everything they worked for. I saw many players leave to play EQ when it came out because they heard there was no PVP and that suited them fine.

My fondest PVP memories are not of the PK kind but of a lone knight who challenged anyone who came near a bridge north of Trinsic. He demanded either 100 gold or you defeat him in combat to cross. It would of been easy to use magic to get over the river but it was more fun to fight him for the right to use the bridge.

I remember times when someone in my guild would get killed or robbed of their house keys and we would have to call the entire guild in to try and save their home.  The area where my old guild had most of our homes would be covered in bodies as both sides called in other guilds and friends to help.

Another time I fought a player over him insulting the honor of my in game wife. It was a long fight but a fun fight. Todays fights over champion spawns and at the Yew gate do not measure up in any way compared to those three fights. Still at least you are fighting people who came knowing you would be there to fight them, and its not like you are killing a craftsman and doing a victory dance over him because you won.

If they ever fixed factions I'm sure UO would be the hottest PVP game ever again.  Still UO has many things to offer players besides PVP and that is what makes it a great game. You can do almost anything you want.

2 Pages 1 2 » Search