Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,851,934 Users Online:0
Games:733  Posts:6,226,285
Broadsword Online Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 09/30/97)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$09.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Ultima Online Forum » Game Suggestions » Controls, Tutorial

1 posts found
  Draco91

Novice Member

OP  8/23/09 3:16:10 AM#1

I just played the free trial of UO. It's probably an amazing game, and there are things that I like about it, but honestly, I couldn't get past the controls to find out. I think the controls were very unintuitive and awkward, for the most part. And the lack of a tutorial to get you past the (comparatively) steep learning curve is likely to drive prospective subscribers away. A game like UO could easily work with a modified Diablo II - like control system I think. The point and click to move, attack, and interact could work very well for it. Some of the older players might not want to adapt to a new control system though, so it might be better to add it in as an optional alternative -- and point it out as an alternative in the tutorial that needs to be added. The in-game help menu  helps a little, but not much. I wouldn't think a tutorial would be a difficult thing to add. There were a lot of things I couldn't figure out (as someone with ~ ten years of experience with 10+ MMOs, including beta testing). I did read the manual a little bit (but I had trouble finding even that), and was still pretty overwhelmed. I'm not saying that the game needs to be dumbed down, but better controls and a tutorial would make a huge difference I think.

Oh, and I was using the classic client.

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional or disciplinary response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2]" (Wikipedia.org, 8-24-09)

The best way to deal with trolls:
http://www.angelfire.com/space/usenet/ [IGNORE THEM, THEY JUST WANT ATTENTION!]