Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,850,908 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,224,318
Broadsword Online Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 10/10/01)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Dark Age of Camelot Forum » Round Table Pub (General) » DAOC FAQ 1.5 (w/ updated ToA info)

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
55 posts found
  JulianDracos

Novice Member

OP  2/15/06 2:43:43 PM#41
I found the white harder to read so I went with yellow.  But yellow is somewhat harsh on the eyes.  I will either change it back to white or make the Questions yellow and then the answers red.  Red seems to be easier on the eyes. 
  RJCox

Novice Member

"It''s OK... I''m a leaf on the wind! Watch how I soar!"

2/15/06 3:47:51 PM#42

Stickied!

Thanks Admin! :)

Richard J. Cox
"There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."

JulianDracos

Novice Member

OP  2/16/06 11:27:11 PM#43
Yay sticky!  It is like you have connections here ;)
  Serdan

Novice Member

5/08/06 10:23:17 AM#44
Wow, just noticed this. Very nice FAQ, solid work was done .) Should be very helpful for a new player.
  JulianDracos

Novice Member

OP  5/18/06 1:55:26 AM#45
Thanks.  The update to the new boards here won't allow mw to change the topic so I cannot update the version number, or I have yet to find out how.

Anyway, I have unyellowed it and updated a few things given some recent changes. 
  frankyz669

Novice Member

7/25/06 3:14:27 PM#46

Originally posted by JulianDracos

2. Crafting is horrible in DAOC. For me, it is the #1 thing that needs to be changed. I am crossing my fingers that crafting changes will be in 1.83.

So - did they fix crafting?  And would you mind providing a good link for crafting in DAoC?

Very good FAQ! 

"I have live my life by these nine simple words: It sounded like a good idea at the time."
--Livingston Taylor

JulianDracos

Novice Member

OP  7/25/06 3:57:43 PM#47

Originally posted by frankyz669

Originally posted by JulianDracos

2. Crafting is horrible in DAOC. For me, it is the #1 thing that needs to be changed. I am crossing my fingers that crafting changes will be in 1.83.

So - did they fix crafting?  And would you mind providing a good link for crafting in DAoC?

Very good FAQ! 

No, it has not been changed.  There have been minor chance to crafting over the summer, but nothing that has really fixed the problems.  The updated crafting system is scheduled for this fall around the time the next expansion is released. 

As far as I know, there are no longer any good crafting links.  www.daoctradeskills.com used to be a great site.  It is virtually abandoned outside of a few people on their message boards and no updates.  The only possible links I can think of are:

Prissy Alchemy Guide
Old offical guide

Lyolas

Novice Member

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

10/07/06 11:56:13 AM#48

Thank you for the helpful summary of info about DAoC, which I have just installed and asked several questions about in another post here of my own.

As for the inclusion of opinions, here's mine: you wrote it, free speech ftw. Anyone who dislikes what they are reading can aways elect to immediately stop reading if they are feeling upset, unhappy, etc.

I would just as soon know up front about major issues such as the ToA debacle and outrageous costs for a mount, ok fine, the fanciest in the game, but I don't appreciate the unattainable either for whatever that is worth, which basically is zero, except to me ;-)

I too wish for crafting that is fun, DOABLE for mere mortals timewise and ingame money-wise and I won't do it unless it is. I never did it in EverQuest until my last epic forced me to. Then I gave it a fair try, maxed one skill, found it a little fun, but so repetitious and time consuming that I knew I would never do any other trades. Too bad, they can and should be fun things to do but not time and money sinks that require hard core playtime to accomplish anything worthwhile. Because as WoW has hopefully taught the gaming development world, normal people will play these games if you make them a little more accessible and a lot less time consuming. I know, the end game such as it is sucks, but until 60 that statement holds true.

I am coming from years of EverQuest and all that I have read thus far, here and elsewhere, tells me that while DAoC like any MMORPG has its issues, some longstanding, it is miles ahead of where I come from and that sounds pretty damned good to me, let me tell you. It's lore, world and RvR conflicts also appeal to me far more than the likes of Orcs vs Humans, etc. or space cadets, etc. elsewhere. D&D style faire will always be my favorite kind of RPG. If Turbine fixes thier attempt at that, I may play that too someday, assuming it lives long enough, which is questionable now.

A couple years ago, a cable guy was in my home fixing my connection and saw the EQ books, boxes, etc. lying about near my PC and told me, "Oh, my God! Why do you play that? You should join us in Dark Age of Camelot! It's so much better." He was referring to himself, his wife and a couple they were friends with, all of whom played together on the same server somewhere at the time. I never saw him again as fate would have it but I have since come to wish I had listened to those sage words of advice. I wasted countless hours of real life time raiding the EQ endgame and sinking deep into the many and horrific time-sinks that "Evercamp" is rife with and infamous for.

My guess is, faults and all, Dark Age of Camelot will turn out to be a far more enjoyable experience for me namely because at least some player disputes can be resolved at the end of a sword or lightening bolt, as the case may be, RvR has got to be an incredibly fun experience vs camping named and raiding npcs over and over and over, often the very same damned ones, until all the raid has needed progression drops, etc. I absolutely hate this sort of artificial time wasting content. People waste 40 hours a week raiding in EQ and I admittedly did too for some time. Even if I have that much time to play some weeks, I don't ever again want to waste it that way, doing repetitious, incredibly boring raids and all simply to get gear that enables you to live through more of the same basically, with the all the numbers cranked up.... rinse, repeat, waste life.... And that of course, is simply my opinion about another game I have played. But it's worthy of mention here as I come to DAoC hoping for much better, namely fun and adventure with others doing a variety of things that hopefully are not simply repetitious, empty, wastes of time designed to feed the greed of those playing for gear more than fun, shared experiences, adventure and new found friends to share it all with. That to me, is this sort of gaming at its best and I hope that DAoC has a lot more of it than where I come from.

I may be as green as the new grass to this game, but I didn't need any help seeing what was opinion and what was not in this post and I didn't mind seeing those opinions either. I will form my own when I play, but I am always interested in what others think of a game I take interest in too, whether or not I share thier view.

There's way too much "policing" of people on the net in general from grammar to content to opinion. As far as I see it, if you don't like it, write a better one rather than give somebody who took the time to help somebody new like me, flack because you don't care for him taking a little literary license. Fine, do it better then. I'll read it, pure facts, opinions, mix of the two, I don't care. It's all good. Jumping on people who take the time to help others, opinions and all is not goodness. I'm sorry but no matter how you want to slice that it simply is not.

Live and let live I say.

He who hesitates is lost.

jeeperz

Novice Member

12/29/06 4:17:03 PM#49

Nice job Julian.

One of the things that I still like best about the game is that there are so many choices.   I guess I think its important to mention that from time to time.

While I primarily play a TOA server (family and RL friends there) when I am tired of that I can play one of the other choices .  For a Regular/TOA server I like the Devon cluster and the addition of Akatsuki has been pretty positive so far.

Gaheris is a nice change once in awhile and I find the community there to be very friendly.

Mordred is not for me ...

I like Classic -  much better after getting into a guild and out of the starter guild - I have Mids Gareth and Albs Lamorak.

Julian, you forgot the Role Play server  -

I find 15 plat for a mount  to be a bit much so I can manage without one.

I have big hopes for the Trades Improvements but a little uneasy about what that means for the LGM I have already spent a lot of Plat and time on..

Khemical

Novice Member

3/14/07 8:22:33 AM#50
I have a question that could be added to the FAQ. I left DAoC before the server merge and was wondering if deactive characters/accounts survived?
  Dreneth

Novice Member

4/18/07 11:47:54 AM#51
Originally posted by Khemical
I have a question that could be added to the FAQ. I left DAoC before the server merge and was wondering if deactive characters/accounts survived?

When I reactivated my account after 4 years... they told me that they don't generally delete accounts.

- - - -
Support Independent Game Developers

JulianDracos

Novice Member

OP  5/31/07 1:02:29 PM#52
Updated to include the latest ToA changes (1.89), crafting changes, and the last expansion. 
  dapsykotik

Novice Member

6/12/07 1:30:49 AM#53
Very nice work by the way, it helped me a lot even though I have already played the game before.
  Lyolas

Novice Member

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

8/07/07 1:59:32 AM#54

Thank you very much. I'd seen a couple FAQ posts here and read both and learning things I hope will help me get off to a good start.

He who hesitates is lost.

Stormbow

Novice Member

Hardcore Gamer.

8/25/09 5:13:18 AM#55

Two years since the last reply, this FAQ is pretty badly outdated.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search