Trending Games | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2 | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,789,736 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,193,776
Broadsword Online Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 10/10/01)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Dark Age of Camelot Forum » Round Table Pub (General) » why is daoc not free yet?

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search
69 posts found
  Slapshot1188

Elite Member

3/11/12 11:34:01 AM#61

My dream is that they announce DAoC is going F2P... as a promotion for their new MMO... called DAoC2.  Which adheres closely to the original in terms of gameplay but upgrades the graphics and netcode.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

User Deleted
3/11/12 11:34:02 AM#62
Originally posted by GrayGhost79

For the same reasons that UO isn't f2p..............

1) It's still worth paying for. Sure the graphics are dated but the gameplay hasn't been surpassed by other games. It's one of the few MMO's that offers something different without being utter crap.

2) The f2p model doesn't lend itself very well to games that don't stick closely to the standard MMO setup.

Towards the end of 2011 DAOC still had about 20kish subs and about 2-3k on at peak times. Also it still brings in new players, not as frequently as it use to but more so than most new MMO's.

Until something comes along and offers something as good or better with better graphics MMO's like DAOC and UO are going to remain p2p because they will remain profitable.

+...it's EA :D

I REALLY don't understand why they haven't done a 'reboot' of this game.  It WOULD be profitable(Well, aside from the fact that Mythic was pretty much completely canabalized by EA).  There is (well, was at least) a market for a 3 faction game.  At it's peak, DAOC was holding ~300K subs - and this was before the wow 'craze'.  A pretty impressive number for '03/04

patrikd23

Novice Member

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

3/11/12 11:44:48 AM#63

The only reasons that mmo go f2p is either because they got low subcription base or that its poor made and started as a f2p.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

3/11/12 11:47:16 AM#64
None of the daoc leads work at ea, I wouldn't look to ea for daoc 2 - id look to pitchblack or zenimax online
  Camthylion

Novice Member

4/04/12 7:14:23 PM#65
Originally posted by CalmOceans

Same reason EQ isn't F2P.

There are no new players coming to these games and the ones arleady playing are paying anyway, so P2P is more profitable.

No, if it was F2P I would try it.

Destai

Elite Member

4/04/12 7:25:48 PM#66
Originally posted by Camthylion
Originally posted by CalmOceans

Same reason EQ isn't F2P.

There are no new players coming to these games and the ones arleady playing are paying anyway, so P2P is more profitable.

No, if it was F2P I would try it.

EQ is free to play...

Current MMOs: Wildstar, Guild Wars 2, the Secret World, World of Warcraft

Past Loves: Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online, Everquest

Nadia

Elite Member

4/04/12 7:52:38 PM#67
Originally posted by Eliandal
Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Until something comes along and offers something as good or better with better graphics MMO's like DAOC and UO are going to remain p2p because they will remain profitable.

+...it's EA :D

I assume thats the main reason

both UO and DAOC are EA

Games888

Novice Member

4/04/12 7:56:23 PM#68

all they needed to do is update daoc graphics and call it daoc 2 ppl will play it but u know it wont happen because:

http://consumerist.com/2012/04/congratulations-ea-you-are-the-worst-company-in-america-for-2012.html

Nikoz78

Advanced Member

Goonies Never Say Die!

8/07/12 3:09:56 PM#69
Come on guys, this old coot of a game is sure to go free to play at some point in the future. The sun is setting on the era of subscription MMORPG's. I feel if great classics like DAoC, UO and EQ were FTP then folks would likely keep them installed (who desen't have atleast a 1GB OS drive anyway - or even 2GB - these days?). Beinf "free" makes you far more forgiving and also more likely to jump in here and there to check out the goings-on in game. They can keep DAoC buried in the dark or they can bring it out into the light of day and give it a chance at long-term survival.

I miss the good ol' days when nerds were actually intelligent.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search