Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | Firefall | ArcheAge | H1Z1

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,851,989 Users Online:0
Games:733  Posts:6,226,482
Visionary Realms | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel 2017)  | Pub:Visionary Realms
Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

2 posts found
  Pratt2112

Elite Member

OP  4/13/14 3:56:51 PM#1

From the Pantheon: RoTF FB Page:

Bittersweet news:

In the past few months we have seen some of the most passion bubble up from the Internet than we have in some time; all for an idea of a game we all want to see happen. It has been an exciting time for all of us.

Over the first month of development through crowdfunding, we’ve been able to achieve what was needed to be done in order to gain investor interest. That is, we’ve shown there is interest in a game like Pantheon, we’ve built the term sheets and business plan, and now have a prototype we can show to potential investors.

The downside now is that our initial resources have depleted, which regrettably means that development is going to slow down until finances can be secured. It’s not something we want to do by any means, but as we cannot guarantee paychecks to the team, they each need to be able to spend time on other things to pay the bills.

Once we’re able to get that level of funding we can then secure much-needed studio space and be able to pick up the pace of production dramatically. We are deeply thankful to this community for getting Pantheon to this critical point, where we have been able to put together an attractive package to present to potential investors.

In the interim, any donations made at this point until further notice will be going directly to maintaining the website during this phase, and not towards development.

An unfortunate turn of events, but not really unexpected, either.

They got completely off on the wrong foot with this from the get-go, and never got on track.

The KS campaign was just not compelling enough to get them to the finish line. Then they lost momentum with asking people to sign up and pledge again at their new website. The whole "join our website and get access to everything" left me with a bad taste in my mouth as well. You could tell it was looking bleak when they started asking, rather urgently, for those who'd pledged for the KS to please re-pledge at their site, which didn't happen too long ago.

And now they're flat out telling people their donations will go only toward maintaining the website?

Ugh.

If I may go into arm-chair critic mode here... With the conclusion of the KS campaign, they should have just said, "Okay, we didnt' reach the goal we needed, but we did learn a lot of what we should have done, and what we have to do. We're going to go back behind the scenes and work at this on our own time and come back stronger, with a better pitch, a more fleshed out game design, and a better planned reward tiers. We'll be doing this on our own time, and will still have bills to pay, so it will be slow going, but we've got a head start now, and a good foundation to build from.

If they're all as passionate about this as they've stated (and I'm sure they are), they can all continue to do what they've been doing within those parameters. It won't be full-time, and they won't be drawing a check for it - but then it's an investment of time and effort.

There are people waiting for the kind of game they're talking about making. But those people also want the reassurance that it's going to get done. IMO, Brad and Co. just have not done enough to convince people of this.

It also concerns me that they're seeking outside investors entirely for this now. Investors are going to want a say in how the project turns out. They're going to want a guaranteed return on their investment, sooner rather than later. And that means they're going to want the team to implement features that are proven successful in more mainstream games. I don't have a crystal ball, but I seriously fear so much of what they've talked about is going to either be dumbed down for mass consumption, or undermined by "casual friendly, easy access, convenience, frequent reward" and everything else that makes for "yet another WoW-clone" type MMO.

I dunno. I just don't have a good feeling about this project anymore.

"Devs need to stop trying to make MMOs for people who don't like MMOs" - thevampirelematt/Reddit

kairel182

Elite Member

4/13/14 4:03:09 PM#2

This saddens me.  More investor influence to push another WoW clone because we JUST HAVE TO HAVE ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE!!!!

I was really interested in the project, too, keeping an eye on it with interest.  This, however, kills majority of that interest...