Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | War Thunder | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,605 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,295,606
Forged Chaos LLC | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:Forged Chaos LLC
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Trials of Ascension Forum » General Discussion » Why don't MMORPG's focus more on roleplaying?

4 posts found
  Choch

Novice Member

OP  2/17/14 4:04:59 PM#1

I've been thinking about this question for quite a while and I'm really not sure why MMORPG's these days don't focus more on roleplaying. I mean, it is a ROLEPLAYING GAME right? So why not encourage people to participate in it?

I know there are people who just aren't into that kind of stuff or choose not to roleplay and that is fine but has there ever been a reason for them to even consider roleplaying? Has there ever been any REAL incentives for people to roleplay outside of their own mind? Why not develop a way for people to take interest in roleplaying much like how someone might take interest in another class? 

Take this example: I personally have always been a healer-type class because when it comes to relying on heals, I feel like I cannot rely on anyone other than myself to guarantee I will get a heal. I've never been interested in playing a tank, a mage or anything like that but when I see a mage do a really cool or powerful magic spell or they have an awesome ability, that kinda makes me want to play a mage and give it a try. I mean, we've all been down that road before at some point in our lives right? We see someone do something awesome and it kinda makes you want to do it too.

Why not instill that kind of motivation and incentive with roleplaying?

With regard to Trials of Ascension: this aspect of roleplaying is viable and has great potential.

ToA takes a very organic methodology for many of its features ranging from settlement development, house building and roleplaying.

What makes this game special is the innovation feature. If you are not familiar with this feature, it is basically a mechanic where there is always a possibility your character will obtain something of an 'epiphany' and you learn something new. Let's say you're fighting a monster with a dagger when suddenly you get a rush of insight (innovation) and you learned how to use the dagger in a new way, maybe you learn a 'backstab' ability.

At that instant, your innovation is locked and nobody else on the entire server can obtain that innovation. What's even more awesome is you can teach others that innovation too.

So if you're willing, you can create your own guild, say you make an 'Assassins guild' and anyone you accept into the guild, you can teach them that special ability and eventually only the Assassins guild know the backstab ability.

And thus, your motivation and incentive to roleplay.

So I feel there is a lot of potential within ToA for people to actually roleplay and benefit from it.

What do you all think? If there were incentives for you to roleplay, would you consider it? What kind of incentives would you like to see?

waynejr2

Elite Member

RIP City of Heroes!

2/17/14 4:37:19 PM#2
The only thing roleplayers need is the ability to chat.
  Torvaldr

Elite Member

2/17/14 4:42:50 PM#3
There are all kinds and ways to role play. Yours isn't the only way. I don't get much out of sitting in the tavern and acting out adventures via chat. I get more out of going out and adventuring the way I envision my persona acting. Your way isn't wrong. My way isn't wrong. The other ways aren't wrong. The only wrong thing is to assume that all other mmorpgs don't do it properly where yours does.

Curse you AquaScum!

Choch

Novice Member

OP  2/17/14 6:17:19 PM#4
Originally posted by Torvaldr
There are all kinds and ways to role play. Yours isn't the only way. I don't get much out of sitting in the tavern and acting out adventures via chat. I get more out of going out and adventuring the way I envision my persona acting. Your way isn't wrong. My way isn't wrong. The other ways aren't wrong. The only wrong thing is to assume that all other mmorpgs don't do it properly where yours does.

"I don't get much out of sitting in the tavern and acting out adventures via chat" is exactly what I am NOT referring to when I say roleplaying and this is precisely the kind of roleplaying MMORPG's these days leave you with. Stuck in your own mind and pretending things with not real incentives to roleplay.

Furthermore, the misconception people have when it comes to roleplaying is just that. People thinking it's some kind of make-up play that someone creates out of thin air. Sure people can do it and i'm sure some people enjoy doing it but that's not what roleplaying is all about.

Think about it in regards to LOTR's. The movie, not the game.

Remember in the fellowship of the rings when Frodo is at the prancing pony and they see strider in the corner smoking his pipe watching them? Strider has his persona, he has his character and he lives out that character. How would you have liked it if Strider walked up to them and started talking like a 13 year old troll behind a keyboard? That would kinda ruin it for a lot of us right?

That is the kind of roleplaying I am talking about.