Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Destiny | Star Trek Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,630 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,241,192
Funcom | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 06/27/01)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$09.95 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Anarchy Online Forum » Rubi-Ka Lounge (General) » News on the engine upgrade?

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
79 posts found
  quasar941

Novice Member

6/21/11 11:58:06 AM#41

Originally posted by Wharg0ul
Sadly, it's kinda too late at this point. Have you even tried to play AO lately?? Go ahead.....try to stand there trading shots with a mob for 5 minutes without freaking out from boredom.
AO needs more than an engine upgrade. It needs a proper sequel, with a complete combat revamp.

Amen. I'd love to see an updated version of the game with the same depth as the first. Sadly, FC has already said there would not be a sequel to AO, so there's not much chance of it ever happening. Still, one can dream...

User Deleted
6/22/11 6:02:59 PM#42
Originally posted by quasar941

Sadly, it's kinda too late at this point. Have you even tried to play AO lately?? Go ahead.....try to stand there trading shots with a mob for 5 minutes without freaking out from boredom.
AO needs more than an engine upgrade. It needs a proper sequel, with a complete combat revamp.

Amen. I'd love to see an updated version of the game with the same depth as the first. Sadly, FC has already said there would not be a sequel to AO, so there's not much chance of it ever happening. Still, one can dream...

and ya know what allways RULED about AO??? All the game's mechanics, from ressurection to teleportation, to PVP restricted zones, were given an explaination and had lore built up around them.

Yes, you were playing a game....but it didn't feel like an artificial game.

No one even bothers with this level of immersion anymore (with the possible exception of Fallen Earth)...they just expect us to accept the artificial game mechanics as a given.

And yeah....I know they said they never would.....but I'll never give up hope!

cerebrix

Apprentice Member

6/23/11 1:23:26 AM#43
Originally posted by quasar941

and ya know what allways RULED about AO??? All the game's mechanics, from ressurection to teleportation, to PVP restricted zones, were given an explaination and had lore built up around them.

Yes, you were playing a game....but it didn't feel like an artificial game.

No one even bothers with this level of immersion anymore (with the possible exception of Fallen Earth)...they just expect us to accept the artificial game mechanics as a given.

And yeah....I know they said they never would.....but I'll never give up hope!

all of that lore and reasoning was entirely ragnar tornquists work.  which is why im so excited about the secret world.

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

Lateris

Novice Member

~perspective~

OP  8/17/11 11:26:49 PM#44

Any news now?

SevenOmatic

Apprentice Member

8/18/11 1:19:43 PM#45

Originally posted by Lateris
Any news now?

not really... maybe next year. lol

Lateris

Novice Member

~perspective~

OP  8/20/11 9:30:22 AM#46

Found a update here:  They are working on meshes.

Lateris

Novice Member

~perspective~

OP  9/02/11 2:39:02 PM#47

And here is another update:   here

ZoeMcCloskey

Advanced Member

INTJ, fun is fun except when it's not

9/02/11 2:42:58 PM#48

I guess there is always hope :)

joeyboots

Novice Member

“The creative mind plays with the object it loves”
*Carl Jung

9/06/11 10:09:37 PM#49

The new screenshots look very nice. Wonder if it will actually be implemented (finally) this year.

Lateris

Novice Member

~perspective~

OP  9/17/11 12:59:29 PM#50

I am going to guess next year.

Wraithone

Advanced Member

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

9/17/11 1:14:40 PM#51
Originally posted by kb4blu
Originally posted by Aguitha

This engine upgrade is Funcom running joke, the Funcom Duke Nukem Forever.  It's been in the work for at least 5 years, i first heard of it in 2006 when i was playing and it was supposed to be up and running the year later.   I dont believe them anymore.

I don't believe them either.  Its just been too long and every time they say anything about it they always have an excuse.  Not only will Duke Nukem come out before their upgrade, but world peace will break out sooner.

Duke Nukem Forever has already released.... ^^  But I was really disappointed with it.

http://www.dukenukemforever.com/full/us/

Funcom has been talking (and talking) about their engine upgrade for AO for at *least* 5 years, if not more.  At this point, I'll believe it when I see it. 

As for world peace... Given that the worlds governments are mainly run by sociopaths, there is damn little chance of that. 

travdoty

Novice Member

11/29/11 6:52:06 PM#52

Haven't heard anything new lately.... Any news on the engine update?

ZoeMcCloskey

Advanced Member

INTJ, fun is fun except when it's not

11/29/11 10:40:51 PM#53

Hope they finish it someday, not heard anything in quite awhile.

Eony

Novice Member

12/03/11 12:24:46 PM#54

Hi,

here are 2 engine preview clips from the 10th Anniversary Party in Montreal

Anarchy Online Engine Preview 1 - 10th Aniversary Montreal  

Anarchy Online Engine Preview 2 - 10th Aniversary Montreal 

Hope you like it

Eony

travdoty

Novice Member

12/06/11 10:06:41 AM#55

Nice to finally see the engine in action and not just that couple minute preview everyone's been watching for so long. Got an ETA?

Eony

Novice Member

12/06/11 12:31:16 PM#56

Unfortunately there is no ETA 

Only this ......

Engine time estimate?

Full focus was put on creating a preview video in the middle of October and has been there since. Once the focus was put on producing something to be seen externally, with that kind of attention to detail that we know critical individuals will have, we began to see small but significant rendering issues we were not happy with.

Fixing these issues has been far from trivial and has resulted in more than a few complete re-writes. In some cases we have run in to some limitations of the engine we were not particularly happy with and have been working with the engine team to resolve these issues.

Many of these changes have also resulted in what would have been a complete rebuild of the entire client...which for the conversion processing of 400+ old AO playfields represents approximately 400+ hours of exporting/conversion. We all want a closed beta running as soon as possible but we are not really wanting to run that process before we are dead certain we will not have to run it again. It also goes without saying that we all want this out as soon as possible, but with years already invested in this undertaking we just aren't willing to deliver something we are not happy with.

If there is a positive note in the delays associated with getting the code aspect of this change up and running it is that it has given the artists much more time to upgrade assets to be there for the day it goes live.

Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year. This is still an aggressive target at this point and it is hard to determine whether we will make it or not at this point as a great deal of this work is still "innovation" and "creative" in nature. 

To found in this thread Answers from FWM November 11th, 2011 Questions 

Eony

EEony

Eony

Novice Member

3/30/12 4:32:49 PM#57

Hi there,

The first Official Video of the Progress and look of the new Engine

Hope you like it !!!!

Eo

Mrlogic

Novice Member

7/10/12 10:22:57 AM#58

No news?

User Deleted
7/16/12 10:29:26 AM#59

Yeah this engine upgrade is bordering on absolutely ridiculous. Would have been something that would have pumped new life into the game when it was expected back in 2008...now...yeah it will look better but for the time spent and what people expect these days it will not only have to be 100% bug free but its going to need flawless combat and animations ect.

I almost think that at this point in 2012 that starting the game from scratch would have taken just as long and might have resulted in a superior effect.

Istavaan

Advanced Member

7/16/12 10:40:23 AM#60

The characters still look like ass.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search