Trending Games | Marvel Heroes | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,150 Users Online:0
Games:712  Posts:6,173,669
Turbine Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Beta Testing  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:Turbine Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:MOut of date info? Let us know!

Asheron's Call 2 Forum » General Discussion » why / what killed AC2

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
29 posts found
  Nailzzz

Novice Member

Joined: 12/04/08
Posts: 489

5/13/11 5:11:08 PM#21

     AC2 was my first true MMO. I hadnt played the first AC so i didnt come into it with the same expectations that they did so for me it was easy to enjoy it for the game it was, not for the game it wasnt (AC1). That being said, it did have a rather terrible launch with chat servers being down alot and since the tech wasnt anywhere near what it is now, it had lots of latency issues. Problem was it had this huge seemless world that was in fact so big that they actually needed several seperate server machines for each game server and people would experience lots of rubberbanding in areas where they were going from one servers area to the next. Of course most players were never aware of where these invisible boundaries between physical server areas were so it seemed all the more epidemic to the average user. That being said, since then tech has progressed to the point now that now you could easily run several server worlds worth of the game on a single machine with no such problems.

     Also for many people in 2002 buying a 64 bit video card was an investment that wasnt taken lightly. And that was just to play the game on minimum graphic settings. It was defintly worth it though as the graphics were just amazing for the time. Ive since ran the client on my more modern machine (dont ask me how). And it handles the game easily and in fact with current gen video tech, the game still looks rather good, even better than i remember in fact.

     I played the game for 2 yrs on the coldeve server which was a "kingdom vs. kingdom" server that in fact got faction vs faction right. It was even more hardcore than DAoC with there being technically 4 factions:Order, Dominion, Chaos, and the 4th faction that was the starting default, neutral. There were no safe places in the game anywhere. No capital cities to hide in. Even guild halls were frequently invaded. You had to always be on your toes even inside dungeons for other factions showing up to hunt you and your faction memebers down. Because of this people developed a great sense of commadrie with there faction and would always come to each others aid leading to huge open world battles between players sometimes again, even happening inside dungeons with mobs spawning all around you and even 3rd or 4th factions jumping in when they find out where the action is.

      They also allowed you to communicate with the members of opposing factions even allowing them all to share the same global general chat channel (with of course faction channels that only your side gets to use/see) where people would of course talk smack, but just as often people would form guild treaties with members of opposing factions at times(non-agression pacts or honorable kill treaties where guilds would agree not to kill each others lowbies, and even occasionally actual alliances vs. other faction guilds). Sometimes people would even be able to convince others to switch sides. It was all very political and actually quite fun. I actually found myself making friends with members of opposing factions on a few occasions. Why games with opposing factions insist on not letting them communicate in game, ill never understand. Verbal greifing past a point was never really the norm in my experience. It actually seemed to do wonders for the servers sense of community.

    Im not going to try to claim the classes were balanced, but i did like how the build tree worked in the game to make you unique from others of the same race/class. You could often even make hybrid charachters which i loved. Also rather than having to wait till you leveled up to improve your charachter, you actually spent your XP in your skills as you gain it to level up the skills which also went a long way to distinguish your toon from others. Lvling up was for buying new skills, xp was for investing into skills.

     The only thing that made me quit was turbine's horrible customer service. I have since vowed that i will never play another turbine game again, but if they rerealeased AC2 i may be tempted to go back. After i left AC2 i was burnt out traditional mmo's for a bit. So much so that when i beta'd WoW, i was just so disappointed. It was just a watered down AC2 as far as i was concerned. The graphics were a cartoonlike downgrade that i couldnt take seriously, and even the UI was ripped right from AC2. If they bring AC2 back, ill be there.

  Bruise187

Novice Member

Joined: 1/17/06
Posts: 357

AC2..Greatest game ever to be closed. They did it dirty.

5/21/11 10:47:16 PM#22

Hearing Nailzz talk about AC2 and his server (was mine too after merge) makes me wanna play this game again badly. i hate it when you guys bring up this game.

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I'm not your friend.

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

  GroovyFlower

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/12/11
Posts: 1252

Skyrim

5/31/11 11:37:51 AM#23

Come to nice AC2 fansite LOST COMPANY!

  hercules

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/21/03
Posts: 4786

9/28/11 5:32:20 AM#24

good to see people still talk aboit AC2 after all this time.

AC2 had a wonderful community and was actually miles away in graphics for its time in 2002.also it was fun.

problems that killed it.firstly it was very unlike ac1 while made the AC1 fans hate it from word go.it was rushed out meaning it had problems with chat failing often and an entire continent that was mostly unfinished but avaliable.also it suffered from rubber banding.

the lack of npc was meant to be part of the story but it did make the game feel barren at times.crafting was actually fun if time consuming but was totally pointless since most stuff looted was better and way easier to get.

then when M$ let go of it sadly it also meant a change of billing which meant turbine lost a lot of "sleeper" customers who kept paying but rarely played .

 

  Classicstar

Advanced Member

Joined: 12/02/04
Posts: 2501

10/05/11 3:25:59 AM#25
Originally posted by hercules

good to see people still talk aboit AC2 after all this time.

AC2 had a wonderful community and was actually miles away in graphics for its time in 2002.also it was fun.

problems that killed it.firstly it was very unlike ac1 while made the AC1 fans hate it from word go.it was rushed out meaning it had problems with chat failing often and an entire continent that was mostly unfinished but avaliable.also it suffered from rubber banding.

the lack of npc was meant to be part of the story but it did make the game feel barren at times.crafting was actually fun if time consuming but was totally pointless since most stuff looted was better and way easier to get.

then when M$ let go of it sadly it also meant a change of billing which meant turbine lost a lot of "sleeper" customers who kept paying but rarely played .

 

CHat system down for months and lvl cap at 50 most stand in east gevoth out post for months complaining there was nothing to do when the hero patch came in sept-2003 it was already to late most already left:(

MB:MSI Z97XPOWER AC
CPU:Intell Icore7 4790k
GPU:MSI 2x AMD 290X
MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
PSU:Corsair AX1200i
OS:WIN7 64bit Ultimate

  Classicstar

Advanced Member

Joined: 12/02/04
Posts: 2501

12/21/11 6:06:23 PM#26

If you see what these days all kinds of mmo's go free two play and many free two play mmo's from day one, i realy don't see any objections to re-launch Asheron's call 2 do you?
There still a rather large AC2 community out there and with how graphics of this game even today are looking i say it would maybe even a success if you do kind of same FREE TWO PLAY model like Lineage2 did few weeks back.

TURBINE, pls LOOK at NCsoft and what they did with lineage2 ok?

I doub a another way of bringing back AC2 isn't posible:(

Bring back Asherons call2 please as free two play model like L2 right now THANK YOU!

MB:MSI Z97XPOWER AC
CPU:Intell Icore7 4790k
GPU:MSI 2x AMD 290X
MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
PSU:Corsair AX1200i
OS:WIN7 64bit Ultimate

  Kanyl

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/25/10
Posts: 246

"Toss me!"

12/14/12 10:32:10 AM#27
Originally posted by Nailzzz

     AC2 was my first true MMO. I hadnt played the first AC so i didnt come into it with the same expectations that they did so for me it was easy to enjoy it for the game it was, not for the game it wasnt (AC1). That being said, it did have a rather terrible launch with chat servers being down alot and since the tech wasnt anywhere near what it is now, it had lots of latency issues. Problem was it had this huge seemless world that was in fact so big that they actually needed several seperate server machines for each game server and people would experience lots of rubberbanding in areas where they were going from one servers area to the next. Of course most players were never aware of where these invisible boundaries between physical server areas were so it seemed all the more epidemic to the average user. That being said, since then tech has progressed to the point now that now you could easily run several server worlds worth of the game on a single machine with no such problems.

     Also for many people in 2002 buying a 64 bit video card was an investment that wasnt taken lightly. And that was just to play the game on minimum graphic settings. It was defintly worth it though as the graphics were just amazing for the time. Ive since ran the client on my more modern machine (dont ask me how). And it handles the game easily and in fact with current gen video tech, the game still looks rather good, even better than i remember in fact.

     I played the game for 2 yrs on the coldeve server which was a "kingdom vs. kingdom" server that in fact got faction vs faction right. It was even more hardcore than DAoC with there being technically 4 factions:Order, Dominion, Chaos, and the 4th faction that was the starting default, neutral. There were no safe places in the game anywhere. No capital cities to hide in. Even guild halls were frequently invaded. You had to always be on your toes even inside dungeons for other factions showing up to hunt you and your faction memebers down. Because of this people developed a great sense of commadrie with there faction and would always come to each others aid leading to huge open world battles between players sometimes again, even happening inside dungeons with mobs spawning all around you and even 3rd or 4th factions jumping in when they find out where the action is.

      They also allowed you to communicate with the members of opposing factions even allowing them all to share the same global general chat channel (with of course faction channels that only your side gets to use/see) where people would of course talk smack, but just as often people would form guild treaties with members of opposing factions at times(non-agression pacts or honorable kill treaties where guilds would agree not to kill each others lowbies, and even occasionally actual alliances vs. other faction guilds). Sometimes people would even be able to convince others to switch sides. It was all very political and actually quite fun. I actually found myself making friends with members of opposing factions on a few occasions. Why games with opposing factions insist on not letting them communicate in game, ill never understand. Verbal greifing past a point was never really the norm in my experience. It actually seemed to do wonders for the servers sense of community.

    Im not going to try to claim the classes were balanced, but i did like how the build tree worked in the game to make you unique from others of the same race/class. You could often even make hybrid charachters which i loved. Also rather than having to wait till you leveled up to improve your charachter, you actually spent your XP in your skills as you gain it to level up the skills which also went a long way to distinguish your toon from others. Lvling up was for buying new skills, xp was for investing into skills.

     The only thing that made me quit was turbine's horrible customer service. I have since vowed that i will never play another turbine game again, but if they rerealeased AC2 i may be tempted to go back. After i left AC2 i was burnt out traditional mmo's for a bit. So much so that when i beta'd WoW, i was just so disappointed. It was just a watered down AC2 as far as i was concerned. The graphics were a cartoonlike downgrade that i couldnt take seriously, and even the UI was ripped right from AC2. If they bring AC2 back, ill be there.

Welcome back then! The game is up, once again! ;)

  Ice-Queen

Novice Member

Joined: 1/02/08
Posts: 2430

"Always borrow money from a pessimist. They won't expect it back."

12/15/12 8:52:13 AM#28
Glad they require a subscription to AC1 to play AC2. Good games shouldn't be ruined with free to play crowds running rampant.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
Dark Age of Camelot

  Darkcrystal

Advanced Member

Joined: 5/06/10
Posts: 749

12/16/12 2:58:01 AM#29
Originally posted by Tayah
Glad they require a subscription to AC1 to play AC2. Good games shouldn't be ruined with free to play crowds running rampant.

Ya but Turbine started the trend with F2P, I bet they turned it on to see how many people wanted it back, and they hear how many AC fans want AC3, so I bet any money they upgrade AC2 making it what AC3 should be, or atleast update to todays standards, and of course it with be F2P in the coming months, prolly 6 months down the road, because they will have to set the game engine to F2P and code for it.

 

AC1 would be free of the engine could be coded for it, it can't other wise it would be free to play as well, I perfer subs but being in the industry sadly the gamers who cry alot seem to win, and people who are cheap, caused the F2P market, yes some of the bad games caused it to, and we have alot to pick from caused it, but you always hear people screaming 15 bucks!! really! which is cheap but they want it all for free, which drives me mad.

 

But anyways have fun, I started my community in AC1 back in the beta days and still have it today, we no longer play AC, but I plan to try and get them to play AC2, we will see how that goes, we have to many games now so dunno..

2 Pages « 1 2 Search