Some time ago, MMORPG publisher NCsoft announced that they would be creating a PlaySmart program to give safety tips to their customers. When the newest Guild Wars game, Guild Wars Nightfall, launches later this month, it will come with the PlaySmart reference card inside.
NCsoft’s Guild Wars Nightfall to deliver ‘PlaySmart’ safety tips directly to consumers
AUSTIN, Texas, Oct. 19, 2006 -- NCsoft®, the world’s leading developer and publisher of online games, is packaging PlaySmart customer information on reference cards in all of the Guild Wars® Nightfalltm retail boxes that are expected to be in stores later this month.
PlaySmart is a proactive public service program promoting common-sense guidelines delivered directly to customers to help enhance personal safety and data security. Drawing from industry standards, NCsoft has developed a set of simple guidelines for its customers that focus on two areas: personal safety and data security. The guidelines will be on simple reference cards in all of NCsoft’s retail game packs, starting with Guild Wars Nightfalltm.
The PlaySmart reference cards will include the following safety and security reminders:
- Parents should review games ratings to ensure they are age appropriate for children.
- Parents should monitor or even play computer games with their children.
- Parents should be aware of the social interaction their children have in games, including all chat features and email exchanges.
- Parents should create the game accounts and limit their child’s access to credit card numbers or other critical account data.
- Be prepared to report players for harassing or offensive behavior or those who ask personal questions or are asking for account information.
- Never give out your credit card information to anyone after registering your game.
- Never give out personal information such as your full name or address to anyone.
- Do not give out passwords or account information to friends so they may play on your account.
- Change your password regularly and use strong passwords to help protect your personal information such as using passwords that have at least eight characters and include numerals and symbols.
- Report suspicious behavior including strangers who unexpectedly ask for account or personal information.
“The easy-to-use smart-tips reference card in the Guild Wars Nightfall retail boxes will reach a huge audience and be a good reminder for players and their families on how to reduce risk factors that come with online interaction,” said Dorothy Ferguson, NCsoft North America’s vice president of sales and marketing.
NCsoft will soon unveil a PlaySmart web page with the safety and security tips as well as organize a panel of experts, including security and behavioral authorities to create, review and update the PlaySmart guidelines each year.
Developed by ArenaNet®, Guild Wars was an instant bestseller in North America and Europe upon its release in April 2005, and Guild Wars Factionstm, the number one game in both North America and Europe earlier this year, are global online roleplaying games. In Guild Wars Nightfall players will explore opulent cities, brave savage coasts, delve deep into ancient monuments, and find their way across poisonous deserts as they determine the fate of the new realm of Elona.
The Guild Wars Nightfall Standard Edition and Guild Wars Nightfall Collector's Edition will be released worldwide on October 27, 2006. For more information on Guild Wars Nightfall, go to: www.guildwars.com.
For more on Guild Wars click here.