Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,857,291 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,242,907
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Angry Birds Epic Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Ascend: Hand of Kul Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Boot Hill Heroes Borderlands 2 Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Bound by Flame Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Bravada Bravely Default Bravely Second Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Cast & Conquer Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Child of Light Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Dead Island Dead Island 2 Dead Island: Riptide Deco Online Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Divinity: Original Sin Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Age: Inquisition Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Drakengard 3 Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dungeon of the Endless Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Fearless Fantasy Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Heart Forth Alicia Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes & Legends: Conquerors of Kolhar Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online Kyn L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Phoenix Edition LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Lichdom: Battlemage Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lords of the Fallen Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Moonrise Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Persona V Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Project Blackout Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Project Zomboid Puzzle Pirates Quest for Infamy Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Risen 3: Titan Lords Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sacred 3 Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Chance Heroes Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow Realms Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Styx: Master of Shadows Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Banner Saga The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Hammers End The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2 The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Total Domination Transformers Universe Transistor Transverse Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune Wasteland 2 WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenoblade Chronicles: X Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

EverQuest Next

EverQuest Next 

General Discussion  » EverQuest Next and the 60% Done Comment

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search
42 posts found
  AmbrosiaAmor

Elite Member

Joined: 11/24/10
Posts: 829

 
OP  8/18/14 12:05:49 AM#1

I think 60% of the features they want to implement are done, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the percentage given in the interview ties in with the "entire scope" of the game. Here is the transcript (to the best of my ability) from 11:17 – 12:30.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtGfWgW5kDs

 

BM: About how far along are you with Next then, like 20% or?

 

DG: Well see that is a tricky question. If we were only building EverQuest Next, we’d be pretty much in the same spot we are now. Because there is all those supporting systems and all the ancillary features that have to exist before we can build the new Norrath that we want to build; all the destructible worlds, all the Holy Grail stuff that we went through last year, is all stuff that we absolutely have to have. That is being developed in public view in Landmark. So we are [pause] 60% complete with EverQuest Next.

 

BM: The rallying calls are going to be a big part, which you said is still kind of in process.

 

DG: The strategy is when Landmark goes open beta we’ll be mostly feature complete for EverQuest Next. And then we just focus on A.I. and content and the characters and all that other stuff and push push push push on that stuff and really make the new Norrath suddenly come to life.

 

BM: Landmark is for builders and for explorers. Next is going to be for the people that want to roleplay within that world.

 

DG: A really deep and immersive, episodic kind of game that is constantly changing that you can get into and make a big difference.

  bcbully

Elite Member

Joined: 3/03/12
Posts: 7244

8/18/14 12:18:50 AM#2
sure...

When I eat chocolate chip pie it just doesn't feel like chocolate chip cookies. The texture, the consistency, it's just not the same and this is disappointing.

  DMKano

Elite Member

Joined: 6/17/11
Posts: 5400

8/18/14 12:23:04 AM#3

I agree with your assessment.

The idea that a MMORPG is *60% done* and not in a playable alpha state is ludicrous.

Landmark was released as Alpha *way before* it was 60% complete, SoE's new way of development is to give it to players as early as possible so that they can get immediate feedback from the masses.

Again my opinion - but if EQNext were really 60% complete - I'd be playing it right now with thousands of others via Founder's Pack.

The fact that we are NOT playing it yet - is proof enough for me that the 60% figure is just completely taken out of context, an honest mistake or pure BS.

Take your pick.

 

 

  Franconstein

Hard Core Member

Joined: 11/15/11
Posts: 15

8/18/14 12:40:37 AM#4

You guys are getting this all wrong. The game might as well be 60% done, because 60% of EQN is what Landmark is. So yeah, you ARE playing EQN right now - just a 60% done version.

As a game designer myself, I can completely understand where he comes from. Most of what makes a game is invisible to the players. Let's take as an example, building a castle in the game. Maybe it takes you, what, 2 weeks? Let's assume a professional can do that in half that time. Cool. But thinking, prototyping, developing, debugging, testing, and refining the TOOL that lets you build that castle, probably took most of a year, if not more.

So yes. I do believe they are 60% done with the game. Another 20% are the mechanics left to implement, and the debugging and testing of the final features. The remaining 20% is tying it all up and presenting it in the best fashion possible.

They probably have lots of stuff already thought out, and probably even implemented, but they're just not showing it. Just keep in mind that just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there. 

  Gallus85

Hard Core Member

Joined: 3/13/11
Posts: 1113

8/18/14 12:59:02 AM#5
Originally posted by Franconstein

You guys are getting this all wrong. The game might as well be 60% done, because 60% of EQN is what Landmark is. So yeah, you ARE playing EQN right now - just a 60% done version.

As a game designer myself, I can completely understand where he comes from. Most of what makes a game is invisible to the players. Let's take as an example, building a castle in the game. Maybe it takes you, what, 2 weeks? Let's assume a professional can do that in half that time. Cool. But thinking, prototyping, developing, debugging, testing, and refining the TOOL that lets you build that castle, probably took most of a year, if not more.

So yes. I do believe they are 60% done with the game. Another 20% are the mechanics left to implement, and the debugging and testing of the final features. The remaining 20% is tying it all up and presenting it in the best fashion possible.

They probably have lots of stuff already thought out, and probably even implemented, but they're just not showing it. Just keep in mind that just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there. 

You nailed it.  A lot of these guys don't get it.  The engine, and the tool systems are an absolutely huge part of a game's development.  This is why many game devs choose to use 3rd party SDKs when creating games.

You could code the engine,  the animation system, the rendering code, the terrain editor, and everything else from scratch... or if they will suffice for your project, you could just use UDK, Cryengine 3 SDK, Unity or other SDK to cut out all that work and focus on adding the content.

60% done is probably very accurate, and they won't need to be 100% before they give us an alpha access.  I give it 6 months at most and we'll be inside testing EQN for sure.  Sometime around January after the holidays, just like they did with Landmark.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

  gobla

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/30/07
Posts: 1417

C'est la vie.

8/18/14 3:27:46 AM#6

It depends entirely on which systems are developed first.

It's entirely possible to be 90%+ done and not have an alpha yet if a developer focuses first on the underlying systems, especially for a more sandboxy game where the ratio of systems to content is weighted much more heavily towards the former and when internal testing is done primarily through automated tests.

Likewise it's entirely possible to be 10% done and already have a playable alpha, it's just a matter of focussing on different systems.

Consider that 0% isn't the point where you have an empty paper in front of you on your desk, ready for wonderful stories to be written on. 0% is having no paper, no desk, no pen and no means whatsoever to get any of these.

We are the bunny.
Resistance is futile.
''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
(")("),,(")("),(")(")

  Rydeson

Elite Member

Joined: 3/05/07
Posts: 3342

8/18/14 3:53:50 AM#7

     When DG said 60%, I immediately thought to myself, "oh another default answer".. How many times do you all go to a restaurant with a waiting line and told "20  minutes"?   Countless to me, and why is that..  Because that is the human psychological limit most will wait for a table.. Most staff are told to use that number..  There are times I wait 5 or 10 minutes, and times it's easily over 20 and I leave pissed off.. 

     Don't hold your breath on the 60% comment because that means nothing in time..  Does that mean that the other 40% will be completed in 6 months? or a year? or longer?   We don't know and I bet they don't know either.. Creating the world and tools to build it is the EASIEST part of the game.. The hard part is yet to come.. That being the interactive NPC and mobs that must be coded and debugged..  This part is the most critical and will take the longest to complete, cause if you screw this up the game will crumble as so many before it has done..  SWG comes to mind here.. 

  Tamanous

Elite Member

Joined: 3/22/09
Posts: 1707

8/18/14 3:56:20 AM#8
Originally posted by DMKano

I agree with your assessment.

The idea that a MMORPG is *60% done* and not in a playable alpha state is ludicrous.

Landmark was released as Alpha *way before* it was 60% complete, SoE's new way of development is to give it to players as early as possible so that they can get immediate feedback from the masses.

Again my opinion - but if EQNext were really 60% complete - I'd be playing it right now with thousands of others via Founder's Pack.

The fact that we are NOT playing it yet - is proof enough for me that the 60% figure is just completely taken out of context, an honest mistake or pure BS.

Take your pick.

 

 

If 60% of EQNext is developed on the claim that the landmark systems themselves take up the majority of that percentage then EQNext game systems are indeed being tested because Landmark itself is in Beta testing stages. The 2 games are intimately related. It would at at least a year anyway before claims that this development style is indeed holding the EQNext project back. Anything prior to that is speculation.

You stay sassy!

  Xthos

Elite Member

Joined: 4/18/10
Posts: 2649

8/18/14 4:00:40 AM#9
It is more 60% of the systems are in place, I would say.  That also doesn't take into account how much harder or easier the other 40% will be, you could have 80% of something done, and the 20% take as long or longer than the 80%.  So I wouldn't read too much into this.
  Tamanous

Elite Member

Joined: 3/22/09
Posts: 1707

8/18/14 4:04:01 AM#10
Originally posted by Rydeson

  

     Don't hold your breath on the 60% comment because that means nothing in time..  Does that mean that the other 40% will be completed in 6 months? or a year? or longer?  

SOE clearly stated that no dates would be announced for either game so the 60% statement is precisely as ambiguous as they want it to be. We aren't supposed to glean information from it. It isn't intended. I honestly believe Dave G was trying to be honest but it is true that pulling a random % out of ones head is often inaccurate. He is the man in the know about development so it is entirely a matter of believing or thinking he is full of shit.

You stay sassy!

  Tamanous

Elite Member

Joined: 3/22/09
Posts: 1707

8/18/14 4:06:03 AM#11
Originally posted by Xthos
It is more 60% of the systems are in place, I would say.  That also doesn't take into account how much harder or easier the other 40% will be, you could have 80% of something done, and the 20% take as long or longer than the 80%.  So I wouldn't read too much into this.

Let's hope their project management leads aren't total idiots then because that is about budgeting resources and time.

You stay sassy!

  Caldrin

Hard Core Member

Joined: 10/02/04
Posts: 4138

8/18/14 4:14:28 AM#12

Landmark is the foundation for EQ:N and the development process is moving on quite nice in that.. clearly a lot further in the dev version of it as well so as EQ:N is using Landmark as a base then sure I can see them being qutie far along with the development of EQ:N without them being in any kind of public alpha/beta.

 

Either way I want them to release it when its done.. no need to rush anything as I want to play a good game not a rushed one.

My 3D models
http://dragon3d.webs.com/

  ET3D

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/16/06
Posts: 172

8/18/14 4:16:21 AM#13
Originally posted by Xthos
It is more 60% of the systems are in place, I would say.  That also doesn't take into account how much harder or easier the other 40% will be, you could have 80% of something done, and the 20% take as long or longer than the 80%.  So I wouldn't read too much into this.

It's well known that "The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time." (Copied from here.)

  Xthos

Elite Member

Joined: 4/18/10
Posts: 2649

8/18/14 4:31:57 AM#14

Well, I think this has been much harder than they thought it would be.  I have Landmark, so I have seen first hand how it is slow going for them.  I am not mad about it, I figure they are doing their best, and I understand it is new territory for them.  The making of classes, normal top level land, and all the traditional mmos stuff wouldn't take them long, but they have to get the procedural generation of things to tie into the like 6 tiers of land/air/water, and make quality playable content with it also. 

 

I could go on and on, but Landmark and Next are not typical mmorpgs, they are trying something new, Landmark is probably going to end up being huge (if they pull everything off, basically could be a make your own mmo under the SoE/Landmark umbrella) or a flop for the time/money put into it.  You could also judge it separately, if the time/money going into it makes other games and they are a hit, then it is just a development investment situation.

 

I have no idea if I will like both end products to be honest, I look forward to seeing what they do, but a good amount of what they are doing isn't high on my list of what I look for (the limited skill bar with half tied to your weapons, didn't like it in GW2, as a personal reference).  Not a big fan of big weapons and super flashy stuff...I know why they are doing it, but just my preference.

 

So I will wait and see, I try to not pay too much attention, and just check back when their are big announcements (yes, not playing Landmark atm, waiting on it to transition into open beta or atleast get closer, then checking out the newer stuff).

  DMKano

Elite Member

Joined: 6/17/11
Posts: 5400

8/18/14 5:38:33 AM#15
Originally posted by Xthos
It is more 60% of the systems are in place, I would say.  That also doesn't take into account how much harder or easier the other 40% will be, you could have 80% of something done, and the 20% take as long or longer than the 80%.  So I wouldn't read too much into this.

 

To me the biggest question is what does 100% mean?

To me 100% = game launch

If 100% = game launch, no way in hell that EQNext is 60% there already - that's what I've been saying all along.

It's obvious to me that different folks have different ideas on what 100% stands for an MMORPG

 

  Nevulus

Elite Member

Joined: 8/23/06
Posts: 1249

8/18/14 5:52:20 AM#16

To me 100% is a playable alpha, so maybe 60% seems just about right.

 

Opinions, everyone's got them. But only a few weird ones think it applies to the world.

  vorpal28

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/07/05
Posts: 82

8/18/14 6:11:13 AM#17

Different companies will have different definition's for what an alpha is, and from comments read here it seems alot of people don't understand what is meant by alpha builds.

 

Where I work as a developer we class an alpha build as a fully working prototype, with all planned feature's written and working. It's at this point we say the alpha is ready and then begin the next task which is to optimise the build and fine tune everything.

Now for us we don't have to worry about investors, so we can, as a company, do it this way, other places I have worked have classed barely working software as an alpha build and essentially built the software and called it an alpha.

It all depends on your understanding of software development and constraints that the company is under to produce a working product.

  alyndale

Advanced Member

Joined: 10/04/06
Posts: 761

When you learn that a truth is a lie, anger follows.Grace Slick

8/18/14 6:31:04 AM#18

Actually this debate is tired and time to put it to bed.

Why is this so important that we polarize ourselves? How is a number going to change your life? What folks do at a game making industry really effect your lives that much? Honesty of SoE or any other corporation is the cornerstone of humanity and might tip the balance of mankind?

I would actually like to read a thread that explains to me why I should be bothered by anything that happens at SoE, Blizzard, Bioware, Gpotato, NCSoft, Arena Net, CCP, FunCom, and Carbine, to name a few. What in the world is the point here?

Why all the anger? I often feel like this is some type of cult ish religious following sometimes. People get so emotionally tangled with games, companies and now even the developers/CEO's that make these games?

The truth is we ALL have freedom of choice here. The last time I checked, no one is forcing me to play any of these games, truly. I am by no means going to have a mental break down because David Georgeson made up 60%. I don't give two buckets of ogre vomit whether this "number" is factual or not. I do NOT loose my personal freedoms whether or not Smokejumper is lying about a game.

In the larger scheme of things, this all is just silliness when compared to folks that struggle just afford basic needs or people lying in a hospital bed fighting for their lives due to cancer or heart disease. We have relatives that are struggling with mental illness and society just ignores the needs of these people. There are wars between countries run by greed corrupted old men that care not whiff for the young people that die for their lack of communication!

And to think we here on this forum get all twisted up and take sides on whether Dave Georgeson is lying about the state of a damn game! Now, really, someone tell me how this crap is as important as those members of family that have come back mentally or physically scared because "political leaders" have become polarized and can not agree on anything thus they send 18, 19, and 20 year olds to do their fighting.

Time for some reality therapy,

Alyn

All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth
John Lennon

  DMKano

Elite Member

Joined: 6/17/11
Posts: 5400

8/18/14 6:32:22 AM#19
Originally posted by vorpal28

Different companies will have different definition's for what an alpha is, and from comments read here it seems alot of people don't understand what is meant by alpha builds.

 

Where I work as a developer we class an alpha build as a fully working prototype, with all planned feature's written and working. It's at this point we say the alpha is ready and then begin the next task which is to optimise the build and fine tune everything.

Now for us we don't have to worry about investors, so we can, as a company, do it this way, other places I have worked have classed barely working software as an alpha build and essentially built the software and called it an alpha.

It all depends on your understanding of software development and constraints that the company is under to produce a working product.

 

I think that most have a good understanding of what alpha builds are.

 

The key point when discussing what 60% complete means is having a clear definition of what is meant by 100% complete?

100% complete for an MMORPG means it's launch ready - all the systems and content is sufficiently ready for the game to go live.

At least that's what it means to me.

 

  DMKano

Elite Member

Joined: 6/17/11
Posts: 5400

8/18/14 6:40:45 AM#20
Originally posted by alyndale

Actually this debate is tired and time to put it to bed.

Why is this so important that we polarize ourselves? How is a number going to change your life? What folks do at a game making industry really effect your lives that much? Honesty of SoE or any other corporation is the cornerstone of humanity and might tip the balance of mankind?

I would actually like to read a thread that explains to me why I should be bothered by anything that happens at SoE, Blizzard, Bioware, Gpotato, NCSoft, Arena Net, CCP, FunCom, and Carbine, to name a few. What in the world is the point here?

Why all the anger? I often feel like this is some type of cult ish religious following sometimes. People get so emotionally tangled with games, companies and now even the developers/CEO's that make these games?

The truth is we ALL have freedom of choice here. The last time I checked, no one is forcing me to play any of these games, truly. I am by no means going to have a mental break down because David Georgeson made up 60%. I don't give two buckets of ogre vomit whether this "number" is factual or not. I do NOT loose my personal freedoms whether or not Smokejumper is lying about a game.

In the larger scheme of things, this all is just silliness when compared to folks that struggle just afford basic needs or people lying in a hospital bed fighting for their lives due to cancer or heart disease. We have relatives that are struggling with mental illness and society just ignores the needs of these people. There are wars between countries run by greed corrupted old men that care not whiff for the young people that die for their lack of communication!

And to think we here on this forum get all twisted up and take sides on whether Dave Georgeson is lying about the state of a damn game! Now, really, someone tell me how this crap is as important as those members of family that have come back mentally or physically scared because "political leaders" have become polarized and can not agree on anything thus they send 18, 19, and 20 year olds to do their fighting.

Time for some reality therapy,

Alyn

 

Are we not on MMORPG forums?

Is this not  General discussion for EQNext?

Why would we be discussing anything else here other than - EQNext related stuff.

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search