Trending Games | ArcheAge | Pirate101 | Wasteland 2 | Guild Wars 2

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,860,224 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,246,007
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Angry Birds Epic Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Ascend: Hand of Kul Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Boot Hill Heroes Borderlands 2 Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Bound by Flame Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Bravada Bravely Default Bravely Second Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Cast & Conquer Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Child of Light Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Dead Island Dead Island 2 Dead Island: Riptide Deco Online Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Divinity: Original Sin Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Age: Inquisition Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Drakengard 3 Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dungeon of the Endless Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Fearless Fantasy Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Heart Forth Alicia Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes & Legends: Conquerors of Kolhar Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online Kyn L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Phoenix Edition LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Lichdom: Battlemage Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lords of the Fallen Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Moonrise Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Persona V Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Project Blackout Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Project Zomboid Puzzle Pirates Quest for Infamy Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Risen 3: Titan Lords Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sacred 3 Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Chance Heroes Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow Realms Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Styx: Master of Shadows Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Banner Saga The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Hammers End The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2 The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Total Domination Transformers Universe Transistor Transverse Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune Wasteland 2 WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenoblade Chronicles: X Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

Elder Scrolls Online

Elder Scrolls Online 

General Discussion  » Very disappointed, a solo mmo.

6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search
107 posts found
  WellzyC

Novice Member

Joined: 10/04/11
Posts: 546

Ceaseless

 
OP  3/02/14 1:28:25 AM#1

 

Very disappointed, was hoping for a classic feel.

 

 

You wont like my review of the game, and you may even think I am being far too critical. But I wanted to get this off of my chest and talk about the reasons why I am disappointed in this game.

I started to form this impression a long time ago, however, I was tied by the NDA. I will try not to make this too long, but I have a lot I want to say.

 

I am very disappointed:

 

Reason 1: Solo... again: The game revolves around the solo experience. If you are like me and come from games like EQ, DAOC, these solo centric games are very underwhelming. The game phases everything, almost every quest affects what phase you are in. You will never see the same people twice, and the game does not have any social aspects. Outside of clicking a LFG panel, the game has zero social systems. Why mmo developers dump so much money into solo gameplay I will never understand.

 

Reason 2: Questing, all questing: The only real way to get EXP is to do what you have been doing in every single mmo since 2005. Grab quests, skip the voice overs, kill x, return. The questing in this game is so tedious and unexciting.

 

Reason 3: very sloppy and dull combat: Skyrim's combat pretty fun, it was tight, and strategic. ESO's combat is a sloppy version of that, mixed with mmo tab targeting. About 20 minutes into the game I was already extremely bored with my character.

 

Reason 4: what I loved about Skrim, is not in ESO: Exploration in ESO is very underwhelming. Exploration in ESO is about as exciting as it was in SWTOR.

 

Reason 5: MMO on rails: This sort of ties in with reason 1. The game is all scripted, besides going to Cyrodil and doing some PVP. Other than that, you jump from quest to quest following a primary story line. This “story driven mmo” trend destroys any excitement mmos have for me. Devs dump all their resources into writing story lines and making cut scenes, which makes the actual game really shallow.

 

Reason 5: Players are just scenery: there is no reason in this game to communicate or team up with a anyone. Simply use a dungeon finder for a group, and that's it. I thought SWTOR was anti social, Eso is far worse. This game does not promote any player collaboration. Dark anchors and dungeon finders are not it.

Reason 6: My BIGEEST reason.. phasing: The point of phasing is to try and make the world feel like it is changing, but it destroys immersion. The experience isn't shared and that's what makes phasing so pointless in an mmo. It feels so artificial because the phase I am seeing is different for everyone else, so it isn't truly what the world is. It separates players and makes the game feel really lonely. Phasing has no place in an mmo where it is supposed to be a shared world.

 

ESO is a single player game with a subscription fee.

 

 

Conclusion: For me, mmo excitement derives from shared experience with players, exploring a world that is unknown and dangerous. An MMO that tries to force feed a story, or create a game that is phased with scripts will not create lasting gaming memories.

 

The bottom line is, if you did not like swtor, you will not like this. Besides combat, it has almost the exact same game design; solo questing and scripts, with virtually no community.

 

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, Linear Questing, Cut-Scenes...


www.CeaselessGuild.com

  G4NK3D

Hard Core Member

Joined: 4/06/11
Posts: 61

3/02/14 1:33:36 AM#2

I completely disagree, but you are entitled to your own opinion.  In my opinion however this game is focusing MAJORLY on the group experience, no AH so you HAVE to interact with others, PvP is tri-faction AvA and on a MASSIVE map where you must work as a team in order to dominate, quests that are completely dependent on finding someone to help you because there is NO WAY you are going to beat this group of mobs without someone to work with, etc.  Not to mention the fact that they are promoting more interaction by letting you have more than one guild on each char.  The game was made so that you can enjoy it solo as well if you like, but it is far more catered around group play.

 

Edit - Just had to add as well the community is great in my eyes, there is always a large number of people in zone chat or guild chat willing to group up or help you with anything that you need, or even just to chat it up in general.  The chat is extremely lively, and the cities are full of players who are running around trying to get things done just as you are.  A community isn't going to just jump out and ask you to be a part of it, you have to open your mouth (or fingers to type into chat)  in order to become a part of it.

  Covet78

Hard Core Member

Joined: 5/11/10
Posts: 134

3/02/14 1:35:28 AM#3

What did you expect. This is an Elder Scrolls game. An mmo made for Elder Scrolls fans, not mmo fans. 

 

It's good at what it does, gives you an edlerscrollish feels. I agree that there shouldn't be a sub. I'll buy it and play the first month, maybe a 2nd if I didn't do everything yet, but I'll drop this faster then a bag of poop once I see the world and instances. No need to keep paying.

 

Just remember. This is a solo mmo on purpose. The grouping for the little group content they have will probably be expanded on over time, but then after my sub runs out, i'll just probably wait a year and sub again for a month to see the new stuff....

 

I'll buy the game, but i'm doing it knowing that I would have preferred an Elder Scrolls 6 and that this is being done instead because of $$$.. 

 

cash grab.. nothing more.

 

  MrG8

Novice Member

Joined: 3/01/10
Posts: 79

3/02/14 1:53:21 AM#4
Originally posted by WellzyC

 

Very disappointed, was hoping for a classic feel.

 

 

Oooh go make your bad flaming review and cry like everyone else, there's a lot of others MMOs out there, I'm sure some will suit you! Sadly this one wasnt your MMO!

  Cromica

Advanced Member

Joined: 6/03/09
Posts: 668

3/02/14 1:55:35 AM#5
I am going to give it at least a month, since the big "End Game" draw is the terrible pvp not sure if I will go beyond that.
  redbug

Advanced Member

Joined: 11/16/05
Posts: 185

3/02/14 1:55:55 AM#6
Originally posted by G4NK3D

I completely disagree, but you are entitled to your own opinion.  In my opinion however this game is focusing MAJORLY on the group experience, no AH so you HAVE to interact with others, PvP is tri-faction AvA and on a MASSIVE map where you must work as a team in order to dominate, quests that are completely dependent on finding someone to help you because there is NO WAY you are going to beat this group of mobs without someone to work with, etc.  Not to mention the fact that they are promoting more interaction by letting you have more than one guild on each char.  The game was made so that you can enjoy it solo as well if you like, but it is far more catered around group play.

 

Edit - Just had to add as well the community is great in my eyes, there is always a large number of people in zone chat or guild chat willing to group up or help you with anything that you need, or even just to chat it up in general.  The chat is extremely lively, and the cities are full of players who are running around trying to get things done just as you are.  A community isn't going to just jump out and ask you to be a part of it, you have to open your mouth (or fingers to type into chat)  in order to become a part of it.

We aren't playing the same game it seems.

  redbug

Advanced Member

Joined: 11/16/05
Posts: 185

3/02/14 1:57:53 AM#7
Originally posted by WellzyC

 

Very disappointed, was hoping for a classic feel.

 

 

You wont like my review of the game, and you may even think I am being far too critical. But I wanted to get this off of my chest and talk about the reasons why I am disappointed in this game.

I started to form this impression a long time ago, however, I was tied by the NDA. I will try not to make this too long, but I have a lot I want to say.

 

I am very disappointed:

 

Reason 1: Solo... again: The game revolves around the solo experience. If you are like me and come from games like EQ, DAOC, these solo centric games are very underwhelming. The game phases everything, almost every quest affects what phase you are in. You will never see the same people twice, and the game does not have any social aspects. Outside of clicking a LFG panel, the game has zero social systems. Why mmo developers dump so much money into solo gameplay I will never understand.

 

Reason 2: Questing, all questing: The only real way to get EXP is to do what you have been doing in every single mmo since 2005. Grab quests, skip the voice overs, kill x, return. The questing in this game is so tedious and unexciting.

 

Reason 3: very sloppy and dull combat: Skyrim's combat pretty fun, it was tight, and strategic. ESO's combat is a sloppy version of that, mixed with mmo tab targeting. About 20 minutes into the game I was already extremely bored with my character.

 

Reason 4: what I loved about Skrim, is not in ESO: Exploration in ESO is very underwhelming. Exploration in ESO is about as exciting as it was in SWTOR.

 

Reason 5: MMO on rails: This sort of ties in with reason 1. The game is all scripted, besides going to Cyrodil and doing some PVP. Other than that, you jump from quest to quest following a primary story line. This “story driven mmo” trend destroys any excitement mmos have for me. Devs dump all their resources into writing story lines and making cut scenes, which makes the actual game really shallow.

 

Reason 5: Players are just scenery: there is no reason in this game to communicate or team up with a anyone. Simply use a dungeon finder for a group, and that's it. I thought SWTOR was anti social, Eso is far worse. This game does not promote any player collaboration. Dark anchors and dungeon finders are not it.

Reason 6: My BIGEEST reason.. phasing: The point of phasing is to try and make the world feel like it is changing, but it destroys immersion. The experience isn't shared and that's what makes phasing so pointless in an mmo. It feels so artificial because the phase I am seeing is different for everyone else, so it isn't truly what the world is. It separates players and makes the game feel really lonely. Phasing has no place in an mmo where it is supposed to be a shared world.

 

ESO is a single player game with a subscription fee.

 

 

Conclusion: For me, mmo excitement derives from shared experience with players, exploring a world that is unknown and dangerous. An MMO that tries to force feed a story, or create a game that is phased with scripts will not create lasting gaming memories.

 

The bottom line is, if you did not like swtor, you will not like this. Besides combat, it has almost the exact same game design; solo questing and scripts, with virtually no community.

 

 

I agree with most of what's said here.....and triple agree with ESO being a single player game with a subscription fee.

  redbug

Advanced Member

Joined: 11/16/05
Posts: 185

3/02/14 2:01:55 AM#8
Originally posted by Covet78

What did you expect. This is an Elder Scrolls game. An mmo made for Elder Scrolls fans, not mmo fans. 

 

It's good at what it does, gives you an edlerscrollish feels. I agree that there shouldn't be a sub. I'll buy it and play the first month, maybe a 2nd if I didn't do everything yet, but I'll drop this faster then a bag of poop once I see the world and instances. No need to keep paying.

 

Just remember. This is a solo mmo on purpose. The grouping for the little group content they have will probably be expanded on over time, but then after my sub runs out, i'll just probably wait a year and sub again for a month to see the new stuff....

 

I'll buy the game, but i'm doing it knowing that I would have preferred an Elder Scrolls 6 and that this is being done instead because of $$$.. 

 

cash grab.. nothing more.

 

 

 

 

 

Exactly this is a elder scrolls game not a game for MMO fans....thank you for clarifying that. I also agree its a solo MMO on purpose to appease the elder scroll fans, it just isn't what people who pay subscription fees are looking for. My opinion, and yes its just an opinion is this game is really a multiplayer RPG and I am pretty sure the phasing will keep it that way even at launch.

  timidobserver

Apprentice Member

Joined: 2/15/14
Posts: 247

3/02/14 2:12:09 AM#9
So, the OP cannot understand why an Elder Scrolls game has solo friendly content. Am I the only one that isn't surprised that the MMO version of one of the most popular single player games ever has solo friendly content?
  Lord.Bachus

Hard Core Member

Joined: 5/14/07
Posts: 8599

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

3/02/14 2:13:08 AM#10
Originally posted by redbug
Originally posted by Covet78

What did you expect. This is an Elder Scrolls game. An mmo made for Elder Scrolls fans, not mmo fans. 

 

It's good at what it does, gives you an edlerscrollish feels. I agree that there shouldn't be a sub. I'll buy it and play the first month, maybe a 2nd if I didn't do everything yet, but I'll drop this faster then a bag of poop once I see the world and instances. No need to keep paying.

 

Just remember. This is a solo mmo on purpose. The grouping for the little group content they have will probably be expanded on over time, but then after my sub runs out, i'll just probably wait a year and sub again for a month to see the new stuff....

 

I'll buy the game, but i'm doing it knowing that I would have preferred an Elder Scrolls 6 and that this is being done instead because of $$$.. 

 

cash grab.. nothing more.

 

 

 

 

 

Exactly this is a elder scrolls game not a game for MMO fans....thank you for clarifying that. I also agree its a solo MMO on purpose to appease the elder scroll fans, it just isn't what people who pay subscription fees are looking for. My opinion, and yes its just an opinion is this game is really a multiplayer RPG and I am pretty sure the phasing will keep it that way even at launch.

8 responses, 6 different opinions...

 

The game is different... its a crossmix between MMo and ES RPG... i think they did a good job at many parts ...  but there are still some things that require attention before release...

 

 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

  Greyif

Apprentice Member

Joined: 3/21/13
Posts: 16

3/02/14 2:14:05 AM#11

I feel sorry for you, I am loving this game. I play 1 hour third person then 1 hour first person, I listen to all the voice overs, read all the books and explore the world as much as possible. 

I love that races have their own unique armor's, that you can play any class and use any weapon or armor you want to, and the fact the UI is simplistic and unobtrusive. Not to mention when you unlock weapon swapping at level 15 it just gets even better. 

Crafting feels deep, I had 5 recipes for provisioning before I was even level 4, giving me increased stamina, health and stamina regen. Making all your own starting armor is awesome.

The fact you take your horse to the stable and feed it to give it permanent speed boosts :D, so cool.

Anyway man, GL finding a game you enjoy.

  Shamorau

Apprentice Member

Joined: 6/14/09
Posts: 165

3/02/14 2:15:20 AM#12

I agree with the OP, to me its a solo game with other players running around. So far there is no need to group up. as i havent got higher to do dungeons etc, maybe then you might be forced to get into a group. but more than likely you can skip that content.

i cant put my finger on it, maybe it is the fact of playing oblivion and skyrim that i expected more, i am not sure, but the is game for beta just disappointed me. it felt a lot like TOR, as you can only run around in the areas specified. you cant just run off into the horizon.

  yaminsux

Advanced Member

Joined: 12/23/05
Posts: 644

3/02/14 2:16:34 AM#13
To OP, bye. One less potentially whiny player. Saves me headache later. For the record, don't compare ESO to SP ES, they are two different games.
  Matticus75

Advanced Member

Joined: 10/18/05
Posts: 393

3/02/14 2:17:04 AM#14
Originally posted by timidobserver
So, the OP cannot understand why an Elder Scrolls game has solo friendly content. Am I the only one that isn't surprised that the MMO version of one of the most popular single player games ever has solo friendly content?

I think want the OP really wants, is the game should be more like a sandbox

  Bluewhitehell

Novice Member

Joined: 8/31/13
Posts: 68

3/02/14 2:21:14 AM#15
Originally posted by WellzyC

 

Very disappointed, was hoping for a classic feel.

 

 

You wont like my review of the game, and you may even think I am being far too critical. But I wanted to get this off of my chest and talk about the reasons why I am disappointed in this game.

I started to form this impression a long time ago, however, I was tied by the NDA. I will try not to make this too long, but I have a lot I want to say.

 

I am very disappointed:

 

Reason 1: Solo... again: The game revolves around the solo experience. If you are like me and come from games like EQ, DAOC, these solo centric games are very underwhelming. The game phases everything, almost every quest affects what phase you are in. You will never see the same people twice, and the game does not have any social aspects. Outside of clicking a LFG panel, the game has zero social systems. Why mmo developers dump so much money into solo gameplay I will never understand.

 

Reason 2: Questing, all questing: The only real way to get EXP is to do what you have been doing in every single mmo since 2005. Grab quests, skip the voice overs, kill x, return. The questing in this game is so tedious and unexciting.

 

Reason 3: very sloppy and dull combat: Skyrim's combat pretty fun, it was tight, and strategic. ESO's combat is a sloppy version of that, mixed with mmo tab targeting. About 20 minutes into the game I was already extremely bored with my character.

 

Reason 4: what I loved about Skrim, is not in ESO: Exploration in ESO is very underwhelming. Exploration in ESO is about as exciting as it was in SWTOR.

 

Reason 5: MMO on rails: This sort of ties in with reason 1. The game is all scripted, besides going to Cyrodil and doing some PVP. Other than that, you jump from quest to quest following a primary story line. This “story driven mmo” trend destroys any excitement mmos have for me. Devs dump all their resources into writing story lines and making cut scenes, which makes the actual game really shallow.

 

Reason 5: Players are just scenery: there is no reason in this game to communicate or team up with a anyone. Simply use a dungeon finder for a group, and that's it. I thought SWTOR was anti social, Eso is far worse. This game does not promote any player collaboration. Dark anchors and dungeon finders are not it.

Reason 6: My BIGEEST reason.. phasing: The point of phasing is to try and make the world feel like it is changing, but it destroys immersion. The experience isn't shared and that's what makes phasing so pointless in an mmo. It feels so artificial because the phase I am seeing is different for everyone else, so it isn't truly what the world is. It separates players and makes the game feel really lonely. Phasing has no place in an mmo where it is supposed to be a shared world.

 

ESO is a single player game with a subscription fee.

 

 

Conclusion: For me, mmo excitement derives from shared experience with players, exploring a world that is unknown and dangerous. An MMO that tries to force feed a story, or create a game that is phased with scripts will not create lasting gaming memories.

 

The bottom line is, if you did not like swtor, you will not like this. Besides combat, it has almost the exact same game design; solo questing and scripts, with virtually no community.

 

Games like EQ with force grouping no longer has a market, sadly. There's a reason why majority of the MMO in past 4 years are getting more solo friendly and not very different from what TESO is. I agree with most of your opinion, but IMO this game is still less linear/single player like than many other recently titles.

  RavrakSmith

Novice Member

Joined: 1/31/14
Posts: 21

3/02/14 2:31:39 AM#16

I must say that I actually enjoy the fact that I am not forced in any way to grouping. And when it happens it happens naturally by meeting players on my way not by spamming the chat. There are plenty of things to do. And I have a choice. Choice is good. And this is why more mature players actually like ESO very much.

  Tyr216

Hard Core Member

Joined: 2/18/14
Posts: 91

3/02/14 2:34:38 AM#17

I'm not sure I understand the point the OP is trying to make. The whole solo story questing thing is actually one of the game's stronger qualities. If you chose to skip the dialogue, of course you won't enjoy it. How can you enjoy the story if you just skip right over it? The main story works like it does in virtually any MMO, but if you go out and explore, you come across new quests, events, and other things of value. If you're grouped with someone and they're on your friends list, you can join them in their phase and vice versa.

Comparing it to SWTOR is both an injustice and a recycled argument frequently used by forum trolls. There is literally no exploring in SWTOR. Everything is instanced. Every instance is small. There is literally nothing to discover by going off the beaten path save for datacrons and most don't discover those naturally; they fish up some guide on how to do it. Hardly sandbox material.

Questing is the primary means of leveling in the game, but if you let go of this notion that you have to rush through everything, you might discover this thing called "immersion" where you get drawn into the world that you're playing in. I'm not sure what kind of game the OP is looking for. On one hand, he complains that everything is on rails, and the next minute he's complaining about quests and how he skips through everything. That sort of behavior is what's making it seem like it's on rails.

Half of the OP's complaints are all the same complaint which just so happens to contradict the rest of his complaints. He wants a sandbox with no quests, no story, forces you to group up, and it has WoW combat? What would you even call that? World of Minecraft? lol

  Bluewhitehell

Novice Member

Joined: 8/31/13
Posts: 68

3/02/14 2:44:58 AM#18
Originally posted by Tyr216

I'm not sure I understand the point the OP is trying to make. The whole solo story questing thing is actually one of the game's stronger qualities. If you chose to skip the dialogue, of course you won't enjoy it. How can you enjoy the story if you just skip right over it? The main story works like it does in virtually any MMO, but if you go out and explore, you come across new quests, events, and other things of value. If you're grouped with someone and they're on your friends list, you can join them in their phase and vice versa.

Comparing it to SWTOR is both an injustice and a recycled argument frequently used by forum trolls. There is literally no exploring in SWTOR. Everything is instanced. Every instance is small. There is literally nothing to discover by going off the beaten path save for datacrons and most don't discover those naturally; they fish up some guide on how to do it. Hardly sandbox material.

Questing is the primary means of leveling in the game, but if you let go of this notion that you have to rush through everything, you might discover this thing called "immersion" where you get drawn into the world that you're playing in. I'm not sure what kind of game the OP is looking for. On one hand, he complains that everything is on rails, and the next minute he's complaining about quests and how he skips through everything. That sort of behavior is what's making it seem like it's on rails.

Half of the OP's complaints are all the same complaint which just so happens to contradict the rest of his complaints. He wants a sandbox with no quests, no story, forces you to group up, and it has WoW combat? What would you even call that? World of Minecraft? lol

 

 

Obviously he wants a game like EQ, but that type of MMO is already dead, get over it.

  Piscore

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/27/07
Posts: 92

3/02/14 2:52:01 AM#19

l2p

  Jimmydean

Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/04
Posts: 1302

3/02/14 2:52:20 AM#20
Originally posted by Tyr216

I'm not sure I understand the point the OP is trying to make. The whole solo story questing thing is actually one of the game's stronger qualities. If you chose to skip the dialogue, of course you won't enjoy it. How can you enjoy the story if you just skip right over it? The main story works like it does in virtually any MMO, but if you go out and explore, you come across new quests, events, and other things of value. If you're grouped with someone and they're on your friends list, you can join them in their phase and vice versa.

Comparing it to SWTOR is both an injustice and a recycled argument frequently used by forum trolls. There is literally no exploring in SWTOR. Everything is instanced. Every instance is small. There is literally nothing to discover by going off the beaten path save for datacrons and most don't discover those naturally; they fish up some guide on how to do it. Hardly sandbox material.

Questing is the primary means of leveling in the game, but if you let go of this notion that you have to rush through everything, you might discover this thing called "immersion" where you get drawn into the world that you're playing in. I'm not sure what kind of game the OP is looking for. On one hand, he complains that everything is on rails, and the next minute he's complaining about quests and how he skips through everything. That sort of behavior is what's making it seem like it's on rails.

Half of the OP's complaints are all the same complaint which just so happens to contradict the rest of his complaints. He wants a sandbox with no quests, no story, forces you to group up, and it has WoW combat? What would you even call that? World of Minecraft? lol

In this Forum: Players wanting to play MMORPGs.  Burn him at the stake!

6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search