Trending Games | ArcheAge | Pirate101 | Wasteland 2 | MapleStory

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,860,155 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,245,681
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Angry Birds Epic Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Ascend: Hand of Kul Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Boot Hill Heroes Borderlands 2 Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Bound by Flame Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Bravada Bravely Default Bravely Second Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Cast & Conquer Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Child of Light Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Dead Island Dead Island 2 Dead Island: Riptide Deco Online Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Divinity: Original Sin Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Age: Inquisition Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Drakengard 3 Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dungeon of the Endless Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Fearless Fantasy Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Heart Forth Alicia Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes & Legends: Conquerors of Kolhar Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online Kyn L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Phoenix Edition LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Lichdom: Battlemage Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lords of the Fallen Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Moonrise Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Persona V Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Project Blackout Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Project Zomboid Puzzle Pirates Quest for Infamy Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Risen 3: Titan Lords Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sacred 3 Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Chance Heroes Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow Realms Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Styx: Master of Shadows Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Banner Saga The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Hammers End The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2 The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Total Domination Transformers Universe Transistor Transverse Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune Wasteland 2 WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenoblade Chronicles: X Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

General Discussion

General Discussion 

News & Features Discussion  » [Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: SWTOR F2P Revisited

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search
78 posts found
  pmcubed

Novice Member

Joined: 12/17/05
Posts: 291

1/24/14 9:16:50 AM#61
Originally posted by doodphace
Originally posted by pmcubed
Originally posted by Dewguy79

Swtor has a very healthy population.  

Well, healthy is subjective.  In the beginning few planets there are a ton of people.  Mostly F2P.  As you progress, the planets become very sparsely populated. 

Only 8 US servers remain (only 3 US west - one for each server type) 

There are 9 EU servers, but those are separated by language as well as server type.

You will run into a lot of 55's during peak hours (not so much during dead time), but that is because there are so few servers. If you live on the west coast, Australia or Asia and want to play on PVP server, you WILL be on the Bastion.  There is no other option.

There were 600 people on the empire fleet alone last night on a medium pop EST PVP server (least populated server type), at 1am.......Unless you think a million players a month = unhealthy, stop grasping at straws with server counts.

mostly F2P

  pmcubed

Novice Member

Joined: 12/17/05
Posts: 291

1/24/14 9:18:26 AM#62
Originally posted by doodphace
Originally posted by pmcubed
Originally posted by Dewguy79

Swtor has a very healthy population.  

Well, healthy is subjective.  In the beginning few planets there are a ton of people.  Mostly F2P.  As you progress, the planets become very sparsely populated. 

Only 8 US servers remain (only 3 US west - one for each server type) 

There are 9 EU servers, but those are separated by language as well as server type.

You will run into a lot of 55's during peak hours (not so much during dead time), but that is because there are so few servers. If you live on the west coast, Australia or Asia and want to play on PVP server, you WILL be on the Bastion.  There is no other option.

There were 600 people on the empire fleet alone last night on a medium pop EST PVP server (least populated server type), at 1am.......Unless you think a million players a month = unhealthy, stop grasping at straws with server counts.

Do a /who 55 and tell me of those 600, how many do you see?

  pmcubed

Novice Member

Joined: 12/17/05
Posts: 291

1/24/14 9:21:28 AM#63
Originally posted by Dewguy79
Originally posted by pmcubed
Originally posted by Dewguy79

Swtor has a very healthy population.  

Well, healthy is subjective.  In the beginning few planets there are a ton of people.  Mostly F2P.  As you progress, the planets become very sparsely populated. 

Only 8 US servers remain (only 3 US west - one for each server type) 

There are 9 EU servers, but those are separated by language as well as server type.

You will run into a lot of 55's during peak hours (not so much during dead time), but that is because there are so few servers. If you live on the west coast, Australia or Asia and want to play on PVP server, you WILL be on the Bastion.  There is no other option.

Well from my experience a healthy population would be one where groups are forming, guilds are recruiting, your items on the gtn sell and there are people everywhere.  

 

Fleet always at least 3 instances 

ops being formed any time I log in

once a months groups being formed for the fleet datacron

high level worlds like Oricon and Makeb are always busy.  

Etc

etc. 

So sure it may be subjected for those looking from the outside and not actually playing, but those who do play know it's healthy.  

I do play.  Not very often because the only sanctuary from the raiding, PVP hamster wheel is the space PVP.  

EDIT: to give you background, before the F2P switch. I had 8 level 50's.  In SWTOR as it exists today, it's current endgame is raiding, PVP, space PVP and spending money on collectables in the market.  Once you've done the raiding or PVP to rank 100 (like I've done), you realize the monotony of the experience.

Space is a fresh new thing, but how long until that gets old?

  pmcubed

Novice Member

Joined: 12/17/05
Posts: 291

1/24/14 9:37:39 AM#64
Originally posted by Dewguy79
Originally posted by pmcubed
Originally posted by Dewguy79
Originally posted by pmcubed
Originally posted by SnkByte

Its very simple why ppl hate SWTOR's F2P model so much. In most other F2P MMOs you can buy almost every single feature that subcibers have - and the mosts important ones are always there for sale. This is not the case with SWTOR - its just the opposite.

 

In SWTOR no matter how much $$$ you want to throw at EA they wont let you be equal with subscribers. This is a big problem because there are ppl that dont want to feel like they rent the game, they want to feel like they own it (even if its practically impossible they still want to "feel" that way).  No matter how much you are ready to give to  EA thare is still no way to buy warzone, flashpoint or raid - only to rent them. No way to unlock credits and commendations caps(Im not sure if is still the case with commendations).

 

This makes it impossible to play the game effectively without being subscribers even if you are ready to spend much more than $15 per month. This onl shows that SWTOR's cash shop is not targeted at preferred players - its targeted at subscribers. EA are not trying make more money by reaching to more ppl, they compensate by charging their existing subscribers more. Its just a strategy to make as much is possible before the game is over.

 

Agreed.  Probably the biggest sales they get from their market are from the various packs - and the majority of those pack sales are almost assuredly, subscribers.

 

Please provide a link to back up your guess here I mean that's clearly what your doing right just guessing.  Thanks 

It's logic.  I'm sorry, what F2P person would spend $ on packs over unlocking bars or the ability to use epics.  Packs are regularly updated and random.  So you have to buy more than a few to get what you need.  On the GTC, packs typically sell for more than a F2P person would have at their capped credit value or close to it.  Also, how much stuff do you see on the GTC coming from packs?  Pages and pages right?  Obviously somebody is buying packs.  Logically, it's subscribers.

First it's called the GTN, second one a f2p gets his bars or credit limit increase either from buying it in the shop or the GTN who says now that they have everything to play the game they don't want those packs either you?  How about the preferred players they don't want those packs either cause you guess so?  Typically only the newest packs sell for the most and they are not at credit max, older ones sell for a lot less.  Your right the GTN is filled with stuff from the store that f2pers can pay in game currency for leaving real money for packs. So as I stated a link please cause your logic is flawed. 

Actually, the older packs that become discontinued sell for 10 million.  Obviously there is no way to to link you anything because nobody is going to release that information.  But out of the 139 million SWTOR made (a stat you can actually see) who do YOU think is spending the most money on the game?  People who are massively restricted and want to spend more than 15$ to unlock bars, epic unlock, etc. (instead of just subscribing) or the people who want to collect all the new CM stuff they regularly update via packs?

 

  pmcubed

Novice Member

Joined: 12/17/05
Posts: 291

1/24/14 10:08:46 AM#65
Originally posted by Dewguy79
Originally posted by pmcubed
Originally posted by Dewguy79
Originally posted by pmcubed
Originally posted by Dewguy79
Originally posted by pmcubed
Originally posted by SnkByte

Its very simple why ppl hate SWTOR's F2P model so much. In most other F2P MMOs you can buy almost every single feature that subcibers have - and the mosts important ones are always there for sale. This is not the case with SWTOR - its just the opposite.

 

In SWTOR no matter how much $$$ you want to throw at EA they wont let you be equal with subscribers. This is a big problem because there are ppl that dont want to feel like they rent the game, they want to feel like they own it (even if its practically impossible they still want to "feel" that way).  No matter how much you are ready to give to  EA thare is still no way to buy warzone, flashpoint or raid - only to rent them. No way to unlock credits and commendations caps(Im not sure if is still the case with commendations).

 

This makes it impossible to play the game effectively without being subscribers even if you are ready to spend much more than $15 per month. This onl shows that SWTOR's cash shop is not targeted at preferred players - its targeted at subscribers. EA are not trying make more money by reaching to more ppl, they compensate by charging their existing subscribers more. Its just a strategy to make as much is possible before the game is over.

 

Agreed.  Probably the biggest sales they get from their market are from the various packs - and the majority of those pack sales are almost assuredly, subscribers.

 

Please provide a link to back up your guess here I mean that's clearly what your doing right just guessing.  Thanks 

It's logic.  I'm sorry, what F2P person would spend $ on packs over unlocking bars or the ability to use epics.  Packs are regularly updated and random.  So you have to buy more than a few to get what you need.  On the GTC, packs typically sell for more than a F2P person would have at their capped credit value or close to it.  Also, how much stuff do you see on the GTC coming from packs?  Pages and pages right?  Obviously somebody is buying packs.  Logically, it's subscribers.

First it's called the GTN, second one a f2p gets his bars or credit limit increase either from buying it in the shop or the GTN who says now that they have everything to play the game they don't want those packs either you?  How about the preferred players they don't want those packs either cause you guess so?  Typically only the newest packs sell for the most and they are not at credit max, older ones sell for a lot less.  Your right the GTN is filled with stuff from the store that f2pers can pay in game currency for leaving real money for packs. So as I stated a link please cause your logic is flawed. 

Actually, the older packs that become discontinued sell for 10 million.  Obviously there is no way to to link you anything because nobody is going to release that information.  But out of the 139 million SWTOR made (a stat you can actually see) who do YOU think is spending the most money on the game?  People who are massively restricted and want to spend more than 15$ to unlock bars, epic unlock, etc. (instead of just subscribing) or the people who want to collect all the new CM stuff they regularly update via packs?

 

 

I guess we can agree to disagree. But you can't tell another poster that most the people on at 1am are f2p (again a link) and then tell me that most the revenue comes the subs buying packs.  If you think that the minority is producing all the revenue that logic is just flawed.  I would agree if your logic said 50/50 split but that's not what your saying is it?  

subscriber population is somewhere around 500k. Link: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Has-500-000-Subscribers-Sees-Revenue-Increase-351533.shtml

The quote from Frank Gibeau says F2P users are around 1.7 million.

With a switch from F2P and the addition of the CM, they see an overall revenue increase (139 million).  There are no stats on the breakdown of this revenue.  I can imagine, many F2P users spending some money to get preferred status or unlocking some bars but... I'll bet you most of the revenue comes from subscribers.  It is the nature of the CM - it targets existing subscriber base with a saturation of collectibles.

Keep in mind, you cannot assume the 1.7 million F2P players regularly play.  They might look at the restrictions on the F2P model and uninstall the game after reaching level 20 and running out of bar space or realizing they cant use a purple that dropped on the ground without paying $12.50.

  CazNeerg

Novice Member

Joined: 8/06/04
Posts: 2220

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb." Dark Helmet

1/24/14 10:31:36 AM#66
Originally posted by pmcubed

subscriber population is somewhere around 500k. Link: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Has-500-000-Subscribers-Sees-Revenue-Increase-351533.shtml

The quote from Frank Gibeau says F2P users are around 1.7 million.

With a switch from F2P and the addition of the CM, they see an overall revenue increase (139 million).  There are no stats on the breakdown of this revenue.  I can imagine, many F2P users spending some money to get preferred status or unlocking some bars but... I'll bet you most of the revenue comes from subscribers.  It is the nature of the CM - it targets existing subscriber base with a saturation of collectibles.

Keep in mind, you cannot assume the 1.7 million F2P players regularly play.  They might look at the restrictions on the F2P model and uninstall the game after reaching level 20 and running out of bar space or realizing they cant use a purple that dropped on the ground without paying $12.50.

The report that gives us the 139 million number points out that that is just from the cash shop.  So if they averaged 500k subscribers over the course of the whole year, not just that point in time, add another 90 million on top of that.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

  FanOfSuperman

Advanced Member

Joined: 6/18/13
Posts: 69

1/24/14 11:46:16 AM#67
Originally posted by Ryowulf

Its sad that so many people are still drinking the cool-aid that EA gives them.  I sub the game, but at least I am fully aware of how greedy EA has been and how much the screw over all the tiers.

SWTOR even makes a subbers pay for emotes.  They gives you 400-500 CC a month but when you compared that to the price of things in their shop. Its pennies.

Also notes that the games SWTOR was put next two were old games.  The Secret World, Tera both of which came out around the same times have much different ftp systems.

EA did and has done everything in their power to ruin SWTOR. If it was ANY other mmo. The game would have died long long ago. Its only because its Star Wars that its still here today.

^This

Glad to see there are some that can look at the game from an unbiased point of view! Most look at it through either rose-colored glasses or with a clouded, complete and utter disdain.

 

I love all things Star Wars and really enjoyed this game when it was a sub-only game -- even in spite of all the blatant hacks/cheating that was going on in in PvP. BioWare did its darndest to try and hide it even going as far as deleting threads/posts from forums.  Now I can understand why they'd want to eliminate others from seeing reading about hacks/cheats so that those players don't try and duplicate them; however, without so much as an acknowledgement to players that had been the victim of it. Not even a simple we are aware of what is going on and doing our best to fix these issues apology?!

 

That was the first thing that made me truly cognizant in regards to how badly this game was being managed. The F2P transition was just icing on the cake!

 

If only SWTOR had something on par with RIFT or Guild Wars 2, but alas, I'll stop holding my breath for that day to come. It is what it is, incompetence is incompetence no matter how you slice it!

 

In addition, I just recently returned to see that all of my character names were wiped. This link to the site explains why and I understand the need to do this, but I was never emailed in regards to this. I read the part where BioWare states that they are in the process of emailing certain players, but I never received and email in regards to this and the email I use for my SWTOR account in ONLY for that account and nothing more. In addition, their site is added to my safe senders list, so I can't imagine how I would not have received the email.

 

To say I'm pissed about it would be a complete understatement. Yeah, the names I locked in mean a lot to me. And, to add insult to injury I was a preferred member and could have easily logged into the game had I actually received the email.

 

I paid (foolishly) $150 for a CE and supported the game for well over a year, if not longer. I would think that granted some sort of protection from having ALL of my names wiped! But then again, this is EA! We shouldn't expect something as smart as Blizzard's way of handling unused character names now should we!

 

I've tried contacting SWTOR support but ironically enough you had to be subbed to submit a ticked in-game and their phone support is worse than useless.

 

What's really interesting is that I can't find one thread/post in regards to the renaming policy which is something I'm calling BS on. Seriously, not one player has commented or even had questions regarding this. I'm guessing BioWare flubbed this up royally and the mods had to go on a deleting spree as they did with the hacks/cheating issue.

 

This is not the end-all-be-all, but it's not the first time this group has done something completely asinine to piss off their fanbase. Let's face it, EA is no stranger to this and there is a reason why they are consistently voted as the most hated company.

 

As I said, I enjoyed the game and don't consider it to be the problem -- more so it's the company behind it and the management of it that has completely turned me off of it.

 

I love, love, love the Star Wars IP. I want to be a part of it and playing this game, but frankly I'd much rather give my hard-earned money to companies that actually care or at least attempt to care about its customer base. EA has proven with Warhammer and now with SWTOR that they simply don't give a shit about you and unequivocally just want your money whether you are completely satisfied with their product or not.

 

It's sad to see EA is such a powerhouse and I rarely wish misfortune on anyone or anything, but considering how they've portrayed themselves to be, I'd be lying if I said I'd shed a tear if they went bankrupt tomorrow and disappeared from the gaming world.

 

Harsh words, but they've completely ruined so many things for me including two of the biggest IPs that could exist in MMO gaming in Warhammer and Star Wars.

  doodphace

Elite Member

Joined: 6/19/12
Posts: 1519

1/24/14 11:55:39 AM#68
Originally posted by FanOfSuperman

Harsh words, but they've completely ruined so many things for me including two of the biggest IPs that could exist in MMO gaming in Warhammer and Star Wars.

So you start your post agreeing that people are "drinking the EA kool-aid", then turn around and end your post with the statement that EA ruined the star wars IP in MMOs, completely ignoring the fact that SWG was a complete and total faileur...

Can I have some of that new kool-aid too?

  CazNeerg

Novice Member

Joined: 8/06/04
Posts: 2220

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb." Dark Helmet

1/24/14 12:22:32 PM#69
[mod edit]

An "unbiased" post would be one that includes only facts, not feelings inspired by those facts.  If a post is truly unbiased, you can't even tell what the person's opinion is after reading it, you just have some facts from which you can draw your own conclusion.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

  FanOfSuperman

Advanced Member

Joined: 6/18/13
Posts: 69

1/24/14 12:30:30 PM#70
Originally posted by CazNeerg
Originally posted by FanOfSuperman 

Both points are unbiased. They are both based on factual information and are fair and impartial, are they not?

 The very fact that I admit my love of all things Star Wars but yet am completely unhappy with SWTOR as a game is about as unbiased as you can possibly get, is it not? 

Just like the fact that you eagerly admit you come to this site for a good laugh implies that you might be a troll just looking to instigate rather than share an honest opinion.

An "unbiased" post would be one that includes only facts, not feelings inspired by those facts.  If a post is truly unbiased, you can't even tell what the person's opinion is after reading it, you just have some facts from which you can draw your own conclusion.

Point taken and very well made. Perhaps I should have been better about leaving my opinions out of my comments.

 

Thank you for stating this in a professional manner without trying to come off as a jerk. You sir are a gentleman and I can only hope there were more people like you.

  FanOfSuperman

Advanced Member

Joined: 6/18/13
Posts: 69

1/24/14 12:37:15 PM#71
Originally posted by Dewguy79
Originally posted by FanOfSuperman
Originally posted by Dewguy79
Originally posted by FanOfSuperman
Originally posted by Ryowulf

Its sad that so many people are still drinking the cool-aid that EA gives them.  I sub the game, but at least I am fully aware of how greedy EA has been and how much the screw over all the tiers.

SWTOR even makes a subbers pay for emotes.  They gives you 400-500 CC a month but when you compared that to the price of things in their shop. Its pennies.

Also notes that the games SWTOR was put next two were old games.  The Secret World, Tera both of which came out around the same times have much different ftp systems.

EA did and has done everything in their power to ruin SWTOR. If it was ANY other mmo. The game would have died long long ago. Its only because its Star Wars that its still here today.

^This

Glad to see there are some that can look at the game from an unbiased point of view! Most look at it through either rose-colored glasses or with a clouded, complete and utter disdain.

 

 

 

 

To say I'm pissed about it would be a complete understatement. Yeah, the names I locked in mean a lot to me. And, to add insult to injury I was a preferred member and could have easily logged into the game had I actually received the email.

 

[mod edit]

 

Both points are unbiased. They are both based on factual information and are fair and impartial, are they not?

 

The very fact that I admit my love of all things Star Wars but yet am completely unhappy with SWTOR as a game is about as unbiased as you can possibly get, is it not?

 

[mod edit]

 

Actually, I was completely unaware of the naming issue related to RIFT. Honestly I haven't really played RIFT all that much. I played briefly after the F2P launch but not long enough to experience the naming issue there.

 

 

[mod edit]

 

You may very well be a great guy, but your post didn't come off that way, rather it sounded condescending and rude.

  FanOfSuperman

Advanced Member

Joined: 6/18/13
Posts: 69

1/24/14 12:55:27 PM#72
Originally posted by Dewguy79
Originally posted by FanOfSuperman
Originally posted by Dewguy79
Originally posted by FanOfSuperman
Originally posted by Dewguy79
Originally posted by FanOfSuperman
Originally posted by Ryowulf

Its sad that so many people are still drinking the cool-aid that EA gives them.  I sub the game, but at least I am fully aware of how greedy EA has been and how much the screw over all the tiers.

SWTOR even makes a subbers pay for emotes.  They gives you 400-500 CC a month but when you compared that to the price of things in their shop. Its pennies.

Also notes that the games SWTOR was put next two were old games.  The Secret World, Tera both of which came out around the same times have much different ftp systems.

EA did and has done everything in their power to ruin SWTOR. If it was ANY other mmo. The game would have died long long ago. Its only because its Star Wars that its still here today.

^This

Glad to see there are some that can look at the game from an unbiased point of view! Most look at it through either rose-colored glasses or with a clouded, complete and utter disdain.

 

 

 

 

To say I'm pissed about it would be a complete understatement. Yeah, the names I locked in mean a lot to me. And, to add insult to injury I was a preferred member and could have easily logged into the game had I actually received the email.

 

[mod edit]

 

Both points are unbiased. They are both based on factual information and are fair and impartial, are they not?

 

The very fact that I admit my love of all things Star Wars but yet am completely unhappy with SWTOR as a game is about as unbiased as you can possibly get, is it not?

 

[mod edit]

 

Actually, I was completely unaware of the naming issue related to RIFT. Honestly I haven't really played RIFT all that much. I played briefly after the F2P launch but not long enough to experience the naming issue there.

 

[mod edit]

 

You may very well be a great guy, but your post didn't come off that way, rather it sounded condescending and rude.

 

Oh don't worry as I stated I don't get emotional over video games and don't report people calling me a silly name. 

 

Well i apologize for offending you by laughing at your comment and coming across as condescending.  I took your post as what I said it was.  You took my post as a negative response.  Guess we both missed each other's points to a certain degree.  Because my main point was there is nothing wrong with your opinions.  

 

No problem and all is forgiven. I apologize as well. That is the problem with the written word as it can so often be construed a different way.

 

I assumed that because I am such a Star Wars homer and yet have been turned off due to so many of the issues with SWTOR's implementation and management, that I'd be a tell-tale sign that the game is not what it should be.

 

If Star Wars' biggest fans are not playing SWTOR then isn't that somewhat of a black eye or negative on SWTOR as a game or of BioWare/EA failure to make the game great...or at least good enough to retain diehard Star War fans?

 

Just food for thought.

  FanOfSuperman

Advanced Member

Joined: 6/18/13
Posts: 69

1/24/14 1:58:28 PM#73
Originally posted by Dewguy79
At the same time though it has around 500k subs and 1.7 millions f2p players.  I would argue that in those numbers are some die hard Star Wars fans that enjoy Swtor as much if not more then what ever mmo you enjoy.  I'm a huge sw fans seen the movies, read the books played all the games and I enjoy Swtor as do a lot of others.  Is it perfect?  Not close.  Is it the best mmo? Probably not.  In the end just like most things it will not appeal to everyone.  

Yes, but that's just it! As I said, it's not the game itself that's pushing me away, but more specifically the handling/management of the game that's left the bad taste in my mouth.

 

I really had a lot of fun playing the game itself.

  jbombard

Advanced Member

Joined: 11/06/08
Posts: 466

1/25/14 8:24:13 PM#74
Originally posted by FanOfSuperman
Originally posted by Dewguy79
At the same time though it has around 500k subs and 1.7 millions f2p players.  I would argue that in those numbers are some die hard Star Wars fans that enjoy Swtor as much if not more then what ever mmo you enjoy.  I'm a huge sw fans seen the movies, read the books played all the games and I enjoy Swtor as do a lot of others.  Is it perfect?  Not close.  Is it the best mmo? Probably not.  In the end just like most things it will not appeal to everyone.  

Yes, but that's just it! As I said, it's not the game itself that's pushing me away, but more specifically the handling/management of the game that's left the bad taste in my mouth.

 

I really had a lot of fun playing the game itself.

I enjoy the game, well the 1-50 leveling experience anyway.  I also have damn near everything unlocked now.  But I won't give them any more of my money because of how they treat their players, both subs and F2P.  If they didn't crap on their player base perhaps they would find more people willing to support them.  I am happy supporting games like Rift and PoE where the developers actually treat their players as honored customers instead of a herd of cash cows.

  MMOGamer71

Hard Core Member

Joined: 11/12/07
Posts: 1548

1/25/14 10:17:59 PM#75

What is more stunning is that under the "F2P" and "Preferred" status a mobile security device is not allowed.

I found this out when I changed cell phones and had to re-install my SWTOR security key on my new phone but since I am a preferred member...................nope.

See post #11.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/swtor-security-key/td-p/284462

 

 

No added security for you.

  MMOGamer71

Hard Core Member

Joined: 11/12/07
Posts: 1548

1/25/14 10:35:06 PM#76
Originally posted by Dewguy79
Originally posted by MMOGamer71

What is more stunning is that under the "F2P" and "Preferred" status a mobile security device is not allowed.

I found this out when I changed cell phones and had to re-install my SWTOR security key on my new phone but since I am a preferred member...................nope.

See post #11.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/swtor-security-key/td-p/284462

 

 

No added security for you.

Well see you twisting the truth here big time.  So let me clarify it for you.  If you had the security key and went to preferred you still have the security key.  I don't know about switching phones but I do know that preferred players do have access to the security.  

You are WRONG.  The moment you remove a key (on an old phone which was used since BETA) and try to install a new one (on the new phone) as a Preferred player you cannot.

 

Did you EVEN read post #11 from EA? 

 

Edit: I will help you.

 

‎04-18-2013 07:07 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry, but my previous information wasn't 100% correct.

At the moment, the mobile security key is only available for subscribers, but the team is currently looking at providing the mobile security key to preferred status players as well.

Philip Holmes, Head of Security for Star Wars: The Old Republic, recently posted an update at swtor.com regarding the mobile security key: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=626829

  jbombard

Advanced Member

Joined: 11/06/08
Posts: 466

1/25/14 10:35:36 PM#77
Originally posted by MMOGamer71

What is more stunning is that under the "F2P" and "Preferred" status a mobile security device is not allowed.

I found this out when I changed cell phones and had to re-install my SWTOR security key on my new phone but since I am a preferred member...................nope.

See post #11.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/swtor-security-key/td-p/284462

 

 

No added security for you.

I have the physical security key and I have never been a subscriber.  Not sure about the mobile but I'd rather have the physical anyway as you never know when you will need to replace your mobile phone.

  FanOfSuperman

Advanced Member

Joined: 6/18/13
Posts: 69

1/30/14 3:42:13 PM#78
Originally posted by MMOGamer71
Originally posted by Dewguy79
Originally posted by MMOGamer71

What is more stunning is that under the "F2P" and "Preferred" status a mobile security device is not allowed.

I found this out when I changed cell phones and had to re-install my SWTOR security key on my new phone but since I am a preferred member...................nope.

See post #11.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/swtor-security-key/td-p/284462

 

 

No added security for you.

Well see you twisting the truth here big time.  So let me clarify it for you.  If you had the security key and went to preferred you still have the security key.  I don't know about switching phones but I do know that preferred players do have access to the security.  

You are WRONG.  The moment you remove a key (on an old phone which was used since BETA) and try to install a new one (on the new phone) as a Preferred player you cannot.

 

Did you EVEN read post #11 from EA? 

 

Edit: I will help you.

 

‎04-18-2013 07:07 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry, but my previous information wasn't 100% correct.

At the moment, the mobile security key is only available for subscribers, but the team is currently looking at providing the mobile security key to preferred status players as well.

Philip Holmes, Head of Security for Star Wars: The Old Republic, recently posted an update at swtor.com regarding the mobile security key: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=626829

MMOGamer71 is exactly right Dew. The very same thing happened to me!

 

I purchased the CE, subbed for almost 2 years with the security app on my mobile phone and then after switching over to a new Galaxy S4, was no longer allowed to use the security key.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search