Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,527 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,316,778
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Angry Birds Epic Anime Ninja Anime Pirates Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Ascend: Hand of Kul Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Boot Hill Heroes Borderlands 2 Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Bound by Flame Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Bravada Bravely Default Bravely Second Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Cast & Conquer Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Child of Light Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Cyberpunk 2077 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark Souls 2 Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Dead Island Dead Island 2 Dead Island: Riptide Deco Online Deep Down Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Divinity: Original Sin Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Age: Inquisition Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Fin Soup Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Drakengard 3 Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dungeon of the Endless Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout 4 Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Fearless Fantasy Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken Uprising Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Heart Forth Alicia Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes & Legends: Conquerors of Kolhar Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Atlan Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings Era Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online Kyn L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Redemption LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Grimrock 2 Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Lichdom: Battlemage Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lords of the Fallen Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance Mass Effect 4 MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms Might & Magic X: Legacy MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Moonrise Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mythborne Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Oort Online Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Overwatch Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Persona V Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pillars of Eternity Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints Pokémon X and Y PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Prodigy Project Blackout Project Gorgon Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Project Zomboid Puzzle Pirates Quest for Infamy Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rail Nation Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of Sierra Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Rebel Galaxy Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Risen 3: Titan Lords Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sacred 3 Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Chance Heroes Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow Realms Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowgate Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian South Park: The Stick of Truth Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Conflict Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Starbound Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Stormthrone Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Styx: Master of Shadows Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online TUG Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Terraria Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Banner Saga The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Epic Might The Hammers End The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2 The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Torment: Tides of Numenera Total Domination Transformers Universe Transistor Transverse Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Triad Wars Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Warflare Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune Wasteland 2 WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warriors World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenoblade Chronicles: X Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

Elder Scrolls Online

Elder Scrolls Online 

General Discussion  » Single player game advertising as multiplayer? Not sure how I feel

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
64 posts found
  Telondariel

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/11/10
Posts: 925

3/22/13 4:03:39 PM#41
Originally posted by GreenHell
Originally posted by hMJem

Smedley about EQ Next (Which is also at PAX East) :

"Once we made that shift, everything else had to follow. And what we saw was RIFT. We saw the writing on the wall with SWTOR. We saw The Secret World. We saw all these games that we knew were in development and very high-quality, but we saw what was going to happen -- this big spike and then it goes down."

"That's the truth of what's been happening with MMOs. The fans need to realize that if you don't change the nature of what these games are, you're not going to change that core behavior. We want to make games that last more than 15 years. That's why we made the decision to change it," he added.

“Everybody has been making the same game since Everquest, really,” says Smedley. “If you look back, Ultima Online was out before us and really, all the current crop of MMOs are a lot like Everquest – they’re in that style. They’re great because the quality level has really improved, but nobody has really changed the game. the previous designs we had for the next Everquest were cookie-cutter, they were ‘me too’. We had some great, innovative things in there and they’d have been great games in themselves, but they wouldn’t have been enough to keep an audience. We’ve had people playing Everquest for 13 years and we kept that in our mind as the main goal when making Everquest Next.”

Bold words! But, in any case, the game seems to have gone down well with SOE staff at its internal unveiling.

“I was really nervous about [showing SOE staff the game],” says Smedley. “We showed it to them on Monday, and I couldn’t sleep on Sunday night because I was scared. We’ve thrown out two previous designs of the game to go with something pretty crazy and… well, it’s awesome. When the team saw it I could barely breathe when they were watching it. But when I’d finished they were clapping and cheering – and these guys are gamers, so they’re not afraid to call bullshit when they see us make a mistake. It’s happened before. We’ve made mistakes, and the guys internally will call us on it every time. But they loved this, and we really felt vindicated that the way we’re going with Everquest Next is the right way. I feel good about it. We’re not trying to make WOW2 or Everquest 2.5 – we’re making something that we think will define the next generation of MMOs.”

 

 

I would love to believe good old Smed but everytime he speaks I can't help but think of a used car salesman. I'm not bitter about SWG. The cu, nge or it shutting down. When he says "we’re making something that we think will define the next generation of MMOs.” I can't help but wonder if SOE is really up to that task. To make an MMO that will change the industry and define what an MMO will be is a pretty tall order for a company with a track record like SOE. I have a feeling this will be like SWG. Great concepts, horrible implementation. Rushed out long before it's ready.

If any company should have learned from its mistakes it's SOE. Maybe Smed has changed his focus away from chaisng the WoW dollar. Maybe without LA SOE can make that type of game. His words are what I want to hear its just the source that bothers me.

Honestly, while I hope EQN works out, I know that it is being heavily influenced by Dave Georgeson who is all about nickle and diming his players.  He was Mr. Free Realms, and he turned EQ2 in a Cash Shop-centric playland.  Smed talks a lot.  He always has, and people that have listened to it then seen the results of his spin know that there is a vast difference between the show and glamour and the reality. 

 

You are right.  SOE, driven by Smedley, doesn't learn from their mistakes.  What they need is someone else to grab the helm and take over.

  User Deleted
3/22/13 4:05:43 PM#42
Personaly, I don't have an issue with this at all. 
  GreenHell

Novice Member

Joined: 11/27/05
Posts: 1342

3/22/13 4:06:36 PM#43

Smedley said EQN is the largest sandbox MMORPG of all time, not "some sandbox elements" That is from his mouth

 

Thats not exactly true what he said was "It will be the largest sandbox style MMO ever designed."

That could mean anything. Hell, people on these forums can't even agree what a sandbox is. Sandbox style opens it up to all new interpretations.

  hMJem

Apprentice Member

Joined: 3/19/13
Posts: 468

 
OP  3/22/13 4:07:56 PM#44
Originally posted by Telondariel
Originally posted by GreenHell
Originally posted by hMJem

Smedley about EQ Next (Which is also at PAX East) :

"Once we made that shift, everything else had to follow. And what we saw was RIFT. We saw the writing on the wall with SWTOR. We saw The Secret World. We saw all these games that we knew were in development and very high-quality, but we saw what was going to happen -- this big spike and then it goes down."

"That's the truth of what's been happening with MMOs. The fans need to realize that if you don't change the nature of what these games are, you're not going to change that core behavior. We want to make games that last more than 15 years. That's why we made the decision to change it," he added.

“Everybody has been making the same game since Everquest, really,” says Smedley. “If you look back, Ultima Online was out before us and really, all the current crop of MMOs are a lot like Everquest – they’re in that style. They’re great because the quality level has really improved, but nobody has really changed the game. the previous designs we had for the next Everquest were cookie-cutter, they were ‘me too’. We had some great, innovative things in there and they’d have been great games in themselves, but they wouldn’t have been enough to keep an audience. We’ve had people playing Everquest for 13 years and we kept that in our mind as the main goal when making Everquest Next.”

Bold words! But, in any case, the game seems to have gone down well with SOE staff at its internal unveiling.

“I was really nervous about [showing SOE staff the game],” says Smedley. “We showed it to them on Monday, and I couldn’t sleep on Sunday night because I was scared. We’ve thrown out two previous designs of the game to go with something pretty crazy and… well, it’s awesome. When the team saw it I could barely breathe when they were watching it. But when I’d finished they were clapping and cheering – and these guys are gamers, so they’re not afraid to call bullshit when they see us make a mistake. It’s happened before. We’ve made mistakes, and the guys internally will call us on it every time. But they loved this, and we really felt vindicated that the way we’re going with Everquest Next is the right way. I feel good about it. We’re not trying to make WOW2 or Everquest 2.5 – we’re making something that we think will define the next generation of MMOs.”

 

 

I would love to believe good old Smed but everytime he speaks I can't help but think of a used car salesman. I'm not bitter about SWG. The cu, nge or it shutting down. When he says "we’re making something that we think will define the next generation of MMOs.” I can't help but wonder if SOE is really up to that task. To make an MMO that will change the industry and define what an MMO will be is a pretty tall order for a company with a track record like SOE. I have a feeling this will be like SWG. Great concepts, horrible implementation. Rushed out long before it's ready.

If any company should have learned from its mistakes it's SOE. Maybe Smed has changed his focus away from chaisng the WoW dollar. Maybe without LA SOE can make that type of game. His words are what I want to hear its just the source that bothers me.

Honestly, while I hope EQN works out, I know that it is being heavily influenced by Dave Georgeson who is all about nickle and diming his players.  He was Mr. Free Realms, and he turned EQ2 in a Cash Shop-centric playland.  Smed talks a lot.  He always has, and people that have listened to it then seen the results of his spin know that there is a vast difference between the show and glamour and the reality. 

 

You are right.  SOE, driven by Smedley, doesn't learn from their mistakes.  What they need is someone else to grab the helm and take over.

In all fairness, business wise it probably was the best decision to turn EQ2 into a cash shop. How many people want to play EQ2 on a subscription fee? I bet even a lot of the people who are attached to that game would leave if they had to pay monthly. The fact theyre still getting money off EQ2 is brilliant.

  LordSneerg

Novice Member

Joined: 3/21/13
Posts: 121

3/22/13 4:08:25 PM#45
Yes but you can still play with your friends.  Pvp is not solo as well.  The game is just like anyother MMO.  You can quest by yourself if you choose.  First, lets play the game before passing judgement.  
  baphamet

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/05/06
Posts: 2668

110100100

3/22/13 4:08:48 PM#46


Originally posted by GreenHell

Smedley said EQN is the largest sandbox MMORPG of all time, not "some sandbox elements" That is from his mouth  
Thats not exactly true what he said was "It will be the largest sandbox style MMO ever designed."

That could mean anything. Hell, people on these forums can't even agree what a sandbox is. Sandbox style opens it up to all new interpretations.


he also said that there will be raiding, that clears up the confusion right there.

no matter what he said, if it has raiding it wont be a pure sandbox.

  ignore_me

Apprentice Member

Joined: 7/04/11
Posts: 2034

3/22/13 4:09:48 PM#47
Originally posted by fat_taddler

MMO devs really need to stop trying to make players the "hero of the story."  It's simply not a good mechanic for MMO games and it needs to stop.

If  you're a player that feels that the game / story should revolve around your actions, you should go back to single player RPG's.

I'm amazed that devs are still going down this road after watching SWTOR crash and burn. 

Hey you were the hero of the world? I thought I was. What, Fred was the hero too. Wait a minute If I'm you, and you are me, and Fred is just like us, who the hell am I?

Nobody special, that's for sure. Achievements in the game world are achievements, the rest of it is just video stroking.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

  GreenHell

Novice Member

Joined: 11/27/05
Posts: 1342

3/22/13 4:14:32 PM#48
Originally posted by baphamet

 


Originally posted by GreenHell

Smedley said EQN is the largest sandbox MMORPG of all time, not "some sandbox elements" That is from his mouth  
Thats not exactly true what he said was "It will be the largest sandbox style MMO ever designed."

 

That could mean anything. Hell, people on these forums can't even agree what a sandbox is. Sandbox style opens it up to all new interpretations.


 

he also said that there will be raiding, that clears up the confusion right there.

no matter what he said, if it has raiding it wont be a pure sandbox.

Does that mean it won't be a sandbox? What if there was raiding content but the boss didn't drop gear he only dropped mats that would be used with other mats to make better than average gear?  Is it the acutal raiding part for you or or is it because that is where all the loot comes from?

  JasonJ

Apprentice Member

Joined: 3/19/13
Posts: 414

3/22/13 4:30:47 PM#49
Originally posted by Telondariel

Or, rather than repeatedly trashing a game you apparently have no desire to play, you could put your energies into something more positive? 

 Or, try replying to the OP that is actually trashing the entire game...I am pointing out the FACT that the game is not TES in its base design.

You do know that some people, I know not all of us, but some people actually have the ability to like part of something and not another part without feeling the need to pretend that everything is roses nor feels the need to act like someone that should just bend over and take it...like a man...but instead speak with a consumers voice about the pros and cons.

I know...its CRAZY!

  JasonJ

Apprentice Member

Joined: 3/19/13
Posts: 414

3/22/13 4:38:55 PM#50
Originally posted by baphamet

you are not very realistic, are you? you want me to provide you with facts that it looks like the other games?

umm, that would strictly be an opinion based off of very limited resources. here is a fact for you, you haven't played the game and neither have i.

in fact, we have seen very limited actual in game footage of the game, you cant even find decent screens of the character models.

yet here you are raging about how they look lol

here is another fact, not every fan of the ES series is nerd raging because the mmo doesn't look or feel exactly like skyrim, that is your issue.

i don't have a problem with how mmo's are made, i realize that no mmo has a long shelf life anymore, there is too much competition these days.

sorry if i don't take your advice and come to the forums crying constantly to try and get my way and force devs to make a game the way i want, but good luck with that heh.

 

 Ok wait, so your facts about how the game is like TES is that you dont know?

Awesome.

Here are some FACTS that we ACTUALLY DO KNOW.

Races are faction locked.

Faction lands are behind invisible walls that you cannot cross.

All PvP is in an amazing small piece of land that somehow is the only place that can be effected by a WAR that spans the entire world.

Crafting is limited to being able to master 2, or be craptastic in all.

You cannot chose factions or switch after creation.

The Empire is actually being attacked by all factions and can be taken over when clearly TES lore states during this time period the Empire is only attacked ONCE, and it NEVER REACHES THEIR LANDS until Tiber Septum comes and takes over...thats an 800 YEAR period.

Those are "facts". And they are NOT TES like because there are MMOs that have been made, OPEN WORLD like TES, OPEN RACIAL like TES (that fits LORE as well), Open faction choices after creation like TES, the ability to SWITCH factions LIKE TES. Have battles taking place ALL OVER THE WORLD like...a WAR is supposed to be. Allow master ALL Crafting skills LIKE TES.

And by doing ALL those things above, would allow actually KEEPING WITH LORE, you know...like tes.

All I can say is this. If this game was LIKE TES, that would mean that the game could LOOK nothing like any of the TES games and contain NONE of the names from TES and people would then say "hey, this is a TES clone"....which NOBODY can with this game.

Its TES in name/skin only.

[mod edit]

  baphamet

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/05/06
Posts: 2668

110100100

3/22/13 5:19:56 PM#51


Originally posted by GreenHell
Is it the acutal raiding part for you or or is it because that is where all the loot comes from?

you make a good point, but even if that were the case, it would have to only be random world boss encounters that guilds could take down every once in a while.

once you implement raid progression (which is what i assumed he meant) then that is an exclusive theme park feature and makes the game not a pure sandbox by nature, even if you didn't get gear upgrades from downing bosses.

people are going to have different opinions on what they believe makes a sandbox game, a sandbox.

but raid progression is one of those things that is absolutely a theme park trait, its not even arguable.

i am not saying it has to be a pure sandbox, just saying i don't think it will be based on the fact that it will have raiding.


  Sephiroso

Advanced Member

Joined: 8/01/05
Posts: 1131

3/22/13 5:23:32 PM#52
Originally posted by baphamet

 


Originally posted by GreenHell
Is it the acutal raiding part for you or or is it because that is where all the loot comes from?

 

you make a good point, but even if that were the case, it would have to only be random world boss encounters that guilds could take down every once in a while.

once you implement raid progression (which is what i assumed he meant) then that is an exclusive theme park feature and makes the game not a pure sandbox by nature, even if you didn't get gear upgrades from downing bosses.

people are going to have different opinions on what they believe makes a sandbox game, a sandbox.

but raid progression is one of those things that is absolutely a theme park trait, its not even arguable.

i am not saying it has to be a pure sandbox, just saying i don't think it will be based on the fact that it will have raiding.

 

i dont know if i'd agree to that, i mean in my opinion, sandbox is a game where you define how you play the game. just because there are raids in place and they drop gear does not mean its themepark automatically. game could still be sandbox with that, so long as raiding was required to get best gear, and the game had the other requirements for being a sandbox game, its still a sandbox game.


Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

  hMJem

Apprentice Member

Joined: 3/19/13
Posts: 468

 
OP  3/22/13 5:27:59 PM#53
Originally posted by JasonJ
Originally posted by Telondariel

Or, rather than repeatedly trashing a game you apparently have no desire to play, you could put your energies into something more positive? 

 Or, try replying to the OP that is actually trashing the entire game...I am pointing out the FACT that the game is not TES in its base design.

You do know that some people, I know not all of us, but some people actually have the ability to like part of something and not another part without feeling the need to pretend that everything is roses nor feels the need to act like someone that should just bend over and take it...like a man...but instead speak with a consumers voice about the pros and cons.

I know...its CRAZY!

I am going to buy this game day 1. I have major concerns though and questions about if I will play this game longer than a month or two. I can forsee myself clearing all 3 factions within a month, and then I wonder what I'll do. Log on, try to craft some new stuff? Do a Cyrodill then log off? Maybe a dungeon if I think I can net an upgrade that I dont have from crafting currently?

  steelwind

Hard Core Member

Joined: 8/04/04
Posts: 303

3/22/13 5:35:33 PM#54

I think if players keep defining a sandbox based on the lack of themepark features will never see their defintion of a sandbox game again. In the beginning the true sandbox games were devoid of themepark features because the themepark wasn't defined yet. Since then, there are features from themepark games that may always show up in other game sandbox or not. Some conveniences are too hard to deny and some don't want to go back. So going forward dismissing a game as not a sandbox because it has conventional questing or raiding I feel is a flawed point of view.

If I had to sum up my definition of the barebones to be considered a sandbox, would be two things.

1. Players are given the tools to change the world and make an impact on it.

2. Players have many choices how they choose to play the game and if they choose non-combat they can spend all their time with other activities of their choice.

While there are many many other things which could define a sandbox, the above two are a must have.

  Sephiroso

Advanced Member

Joined: 8/01/05
Posts: 1131

3/22/13 5:38:49 PM#55

furthermore what is with the obsession of labeling a game themepark or sandbox anyway?

 

who cares if a game is sandbox? who cares if a game is themepark? if the game is shit, its shit. not gonna be amazingly awesome just because its a sandbox. not gonna be complete crap just because its a themepark.


Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

  steelwind

Hard Core Member

Joined: 8/04/04
Posts: 303

3/22/13 5:43:57 PM#56
Originally posted by Sephiroso

furthermore what is with the obsession of labeling a game themepark or sandbox anyway?

 

who cares if a game is sandbox? who cares if a game is themepark? if the game is shit, its shit. not gonna be amazingly awesome just because its a sandbox. not gonna be complete crap just because its a themepark.

Good point!

I think it is because of the track record of themeparks and players getting bored too quickly. I have to agree if a themepark keeps my interest measured in years not months or days, who cares? I just don't think anyone has any faith anymore that developers can make a unique themepark and most feel they can't commit to them longterm.  Until we see a new themepark with enough original features to stand out, peeps will claim sandboxes as the solution to longtime frustration of short term games.

  daltanious

Elite Member

Joined: 4/19/08
Posts: 1945

3/23/13 5:05:36 AM#57

Here we go again ... ueee ... ueee .. it is single player! ueee.... give me my sandboy, give me my theme park, give me ..... ueeeeeee ....

Do not like? Fine, just GO away and world will be better.

And how many are such folks.

I may dislike a lot things in some game, love others, ... but If game have some element I can not swallow down (i.e. first person view, targeting recticle on screen, ....) I WILL NOT BOTHER WITH THAT AND ARGUE WITH WHOLE WORLD. I will just LET GO. I might use something as bad example but so many can not live obviusly their lives if not constantly bashing something on all possible forums.

Many times are not leader to be replaced, but people.

  Ecoces

Hard Core Member

Joined: 7/25/11
Posts: 839

3/23/13 5:27:25 AM#58

as i said before and im sure i will say again, there is nothing in the term Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. that says you have to play in a group.

 

you know why games are adding more and more solo elements? because they are popular and sometimes people enjoy doing their own thing on their own time. and i think its about time some of you get that through your head. the days of group or quit are dead, unless you are playing some Indie title.

 

 

  eldaris

Apprentice Member

Joined: 6/21/06
Posts: 340

3/23/13 9:11:17 AM#59

So OP you want a sandbox like game then you complain about TESO crafting/pvp giving items equal to those from dungeons ? Seems more like you want an old school raid grinder like wow was in vanilla,with the "raid or quit" mentality some developer had.And people wonder why it's a good thing that maybe TESO will lack raids,it's because most raiders always have to ask for the best items in game,they are not happy when players can get those from other activities than raids.
There are a lot of players interested in story or lore ,even in elder scrolls games,one of my favorite activities in skyrim is to read the books I find around game and take the ones I like to put them in my house.From what Sovrath said about pax demo ,I hope to be able to continue this in TESO as soon they decide to add housing.
Not a big fan of story being solo only,I would like the possibility to experience story instances with friends but it is not a deal breaker to me and it's better than story instances being done in a random party or raid with people who don't let you enjoy the lore because they want the shiny loot faster.

  hMJem

Apprentice Member

Joined: 3/19/13
Posts: 468

 
OP  3/23/13 9:22:32 AM#60
Originally posted by eldaris

So OP you want a sandbox like game then you complain about TESO crafting/pvp giving items equal to those from dungeons ? Seems more like you want an old school raid grinder like wow was in vanilla,with the "raid or quit" mentality some developer had.And people wonder why it's a good thing that maybe TESO will lack raids,it's because most raiders always have to ask for the best items in game,they are not happy when players can get those from other activities than raids.
There are a lot of players interested in story or lore ,even in elder scrolls games,one of my favorite activities in skyrim is to read the books I find around game and take the ones I like to put them in my house.From what Sovrath said about pax demo ,I hope to be able to continue this in TESO as soon they decide to add housing.
Not a big fan of story being solo only,I would like the possibility to experience story instances with friends but it is not a deal breaker to me and it's better than story instances being done in a random party or raid with people who don't let you enjoy the lore because they want the shiny loot faster.

I want it to be fair.

 

I suggested all 3 methods of end-game offering unique but not necessarily better gear -- Maybe crafting gives me an item I'd want for my build, maybe clearing the third faction gives me an item I'd want, and maybe raiding gives me an item I want. I dont see a difference between forcing people to craft for the best gear and forcing people to do other methods for the best gear.

 

My main concern as I've said 1000x is longevity. I probably WILL play 3-5 hours a day for awhile right when the game comes out. I will complete all 3 factions before the majority I'm sure. I dont full agree with how much phasing is going in on the Elder Scrolls Online, but I guess I have to deal with it. SWTOR's main problem is it felt like you were playing alone. The world felt dead because it was phased off during the main story and the worlds were life-less. is the solution I shouldnt play a game I'm enjoying a lot?

 

And then I ask myself -- After a couple months, is a casual going to keep paying $15 when they clear the content/adventure aspect for them too?

 

Is a hardcore player going to keep paying $15 when here is no incentive to raid? Yes, raids/big world fights are fun for the first few times. But after the 40th time with no chance of reward, I dont forsee a lot of people keep doing it.

 

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search