Trending Games | Landmark | Camelot Unchained | Hearthstone | Skyforge

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,664 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,310,175
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Angry Birds Epic Anime Ninja Anime Pirates Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Ascend: Hand of Kul Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Boot Hill Heroes Borderlands 2 Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Bound by Flame Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Bravada Bravely Default Bravely Second Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Cast & Conquer Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Child of Light Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Cyberpunk 2077 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark Souls 2 Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Dead Island Dead Island 2 Dead Island: Riptide Deco Online Deep Down Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Divinity: Original Sin Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Age: Inquisition Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Fin Soup Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Drakengard 3 Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dungeon of the Endless Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout 4 Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Fearless Fantasy Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken Uprising Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Heart Forth Alicia Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes & Legends: Conquerors of Kolhar Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Atlan Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings Era Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online Kyn L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Redemption LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Grimrock 2 Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Lichdom: Battlemage Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lords of the Fallen Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance Mass Effect 4 MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms Might & Magic X: Legacy MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Moonrise Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mythborne Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Oort Online Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Overwatch Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Persona V Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pillars of Eternity Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints Pokémon X and Y PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Prodigy Project Blackout Project Gorgon Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Project Zomboid Puzzle Pirates Quest for Infamy Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rail Nation Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of Sierra Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Rebel Galaxy Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Risen 3: Titan Lords Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sacred 3 Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Chance Heroes Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow Realms Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowgate Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian South Park: The Stick of Truth Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Conflict Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Starbound Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Stormthrone Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Styx: Master of Shadows Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online TUG Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Terraria Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Banner Saga The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Epic Might The Hammers End The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2 The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Torment: Tides of Numenera Total Domination Transformers Universe Transistor Transverse Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Triad Wars Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Warflare Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune Wasteland 2 WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warriors World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenoblade Chronicles: X Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

Rift

Rift 

General Discussion  » Should I resub?

17 posts found
  norvak

Novice Member

Joined: 6/23/05
Posts: 53

 
OP  10/04/12 9:11:32 AM#1

I have been gone from rift since november of last year.  I do not know anyone that plays this game anymore.  What server has a healthy population, and what are some of the top guilds?

 

I know alot has changed in the past year, and SL looks pretty cool. 

  Heath901

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/30/11
Posts: 7

10/04/12 12:02:09 PM#2
I havent played either since summer 2011 I think.  Im interested in hearing what people say if its worth coming back etc also.  I been looking into it.  My problem was I never found a good stable guild on Rift.  I maxed out a Mage/Warrior but I'm thinking about going back to see what has changed or etc.
  mbd1968

Elite Member

Joined: 2/21/07
Posts: 2048

10/04/12 12:05:34 PM#3
I resubbed last month and got bored pretty quick. The reasons i left are still there, they've added a few features but nothing much has really changed.
  grimal

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 9/11/05
Posts: 2662

10/04/12 12:09:10 PM#4
Also be curious as well.  Are the lower areas populated enough to find groups?  Or is most of the population at max level?

"I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you." - Robin Williams

  norvak

Novice Member

Joined: 6/23/05
Posts: 53

 
OP  10/04/12 12:20:13 PM#5
I'd want to start fresh to get the feeling of the gameplay again. I everyone is max level, then dungeon queuing might be taxing.
  Bladestrom

Elite Member

Joined: 4/04/11
Posts: 3836

10/04/12 12:21:20 PM#6
I was thinking same thing, when does the expansion come out?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW (10000 hrs on main mage)> oblivion > LOTR (600 runemaster/Hunter) > Rift (230 hours mage) > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR

  apocoluster

Novice Member

Joined: 4/15/07
Posts: 1305

\m/,

10/04/12 12:24:58 PM#7
*flips a coin, catches it, looks at it then looks at you. Then looks back at the coin*    Sure, why not  :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

  Dranny

Hard Core Member

Joined: 10/04/06
Posts: 281

10/04/12 12:26:54 PM#8
People leave MMOs. Sometimes they come back. Since people who come back always want to know what's changed, I've decided to maintain a post that covers the key changes. This is mostly personal opinion. I'm mostly ignoring soul and calling balance issues and tweaks, with a few rare exceptions; suffice it to say that balancing is ongoing, and you should always assume that you need to review your builds.

There are a number of new porticulums, especially in very early starting areas. If you haven't been to them in a while, it may be worth running around and picking these up.

I'm mostly ignoring bug fixes. So basically... This is at most maybe 5% of the changes made. But it's the changes that really stuck out as being big changes that would affect what you can do in the game.

How to use this post: If you remember the patch during which you last played, skip ahead to that heading. If you just remember about when you last played, use the handy cheat sheet to look up what patch it was.

February 2011: Beta to Head Start
March 30, 2011: Patch 1.1
May 10, 2011: Patch 1.2
June 22, 2011: Patch 1.3
August 3, 2011: Patch 1.4
September 28, 2011: Patch 1.5
November 16, 2011: Patch 1.6
February 1, 2012: Patch 1.7
April 18, 2012: Patch 1.8
June 27, 2012: Patch 1.9
September 12, 2012: Patch 1.10

Note that there are tons of hotfixes, and a few patches have had sub-patches (1.0.1, 1.2.1). I ignore these and just treat everything during a given patch as "hotfixes".

You may also find the official RIFT trailers and videos interesting.

Beta to Head Start

Patch notes for beta aren't really available to us now. Among the biggest changes that occurred during or near beta:
  • Guards on PvE servers (only) are tougher vs. players.
  • Public groups can now be merged.

1.0 Hotfixes
  • Raid rifts -- new rifts aimed at raid-sized groups.
  • Locations can be linked in chat.
  • Coin lock feature (When logging in from a new computer or such, you get emailed a code; until you enter it, you can't do anything that destroys your stuff or removes money from your characters.)
  • Mobile authenticator added for Android and iOS.

Patch 1.1
  • First world event (world event mechanics added).
  • Video capture, complete with YouTube uploading.
  • Unmerge option for public groups.
  • Rift contribution is no longer measured against other players.

1.1 Hotfixes
  • Self-cast modifier key added.
  • River of Souls event bonus pack for characters who existed prior to the event.
  • River of Souls raid open.
  • Change to AFK logic; if there's no queue, you can be idle for a very long
    time without getting kicked.

Patch 1.2
  • LFG tool added (same-shard only; this changes later)
  • Wardrobe slots (cosmetic equipment)
  • Crafting rifts -- new rifts that reward crafting materials
  • "Slivers" and quantum/omen sight added.
  • New "sliver" raid added, enterable only with those abilities.
  • New diminishing returns design for CC in PvP.
  • Experts retuned for LFG, and to stop requiring second healers.
  • PvP rank adjustments.

1.2 Hotfixes
  • LFG instance ranges increased.
  • Item sellback and purchase confirmation added.

Patch 1.3
  • Guild banks.
  • Character transfers added! Character transfers are free, once per character per seven days.
  • AH remembers recently-used prices.

1.3 Hotfixes
  • "Trial shards" introduced.
  • "Exposed" removed.
  • Bind-to-Account vouchers for planar currencies.
  • Most event currency made Bind-to-Account.
  • Hammerknell Raid now open.

Patch 1.4
  • PvP rifts added.
  • LFG goes cross-shard.
  • New sliver raid (Drowned Halls)
  • Alternate-mode warfront feature added.
  • Water Saga epic quest chain added.
  • Quest items stored in separate quest bag.
  • BoP items tradeable to eligible characters for 30 minutes.
  • Soul Quests removed (souls are now purchased)
  • Synergy Crystals added (they give soul-specific set bonuses from armor sets)
  • PvP ranks 7 and 8.
  • "Take All" button for mailbox.
  • New crafting cooldowns.
  • Apothecaries can salvage planar essences.

1.4 Hotfixes
  • Can stay mounted in more of Meridian or Sanctum.
  • Taskbar icon flashes when message boxes pop up.
  • Vengeance stat added for PvP, Valor retuned.

Patch 1.5
  • Chronicles (solo/duo instances) added.
  • Veteran rewards added (subscription-length bonuses).
  • Planar Attunement (post-50 advancement).
  • Master-mode dungeons.
  • New warfront, Library of the Runemasters.
  • Introduction of addon API.
  • Ancient wardstones removed.

1.5 Hotfixes
  • All zone event sourcestone is now purple, drop rates and costs retuned.

Patch 1.6
  • Ember Isle -- a new zone for well-geared 50s.
  • New dungeon, Caduceus Rise (actually more than one instance).
  • Fae Yule world event.
  • New sliver raid, Rise of the Phoenix.
  • 90% mounts adjusted to level 30, not 40.
  • Addons can manipulate inventory.
  • Foraging and mining of some mob corpses.

1.6 Hotfixes
  • Instant Adventure -- LFG-like open-world adventure for 45+.
  • Mail to your own characters on same account regardless of faction.
  • Auction House is also cross-faction.
  • Rift Mobile app (access to guild chat from smart phones/tablets) for iOS.

Patch 1.7
  • Massive revamp of PvP ranks and gear.
  • Massive itemization revamp at 45+.
  • T1/T2 experts combined into a single tier.
  • "Purpose" system provides soul templates to help newbies to a role.
  • In-game weddings.
  • Master-mode Caduceus Rise.
  • River of Souls chronicle.
  • 6th role slot.
  • "Mercenary" system reassigns players to opposite side in warfronts to reduce queue times.
  • Wardrobes have individual settings for equipment visibility.
  • Crafting uses bank items.
  • HUGE volume of UI updates -- seriously, read the patch notes for these.
  • XP lock -- you can disable XP gain. (Removed in 1.9)

1.7 Hotfixes
  • Guild bankers added in crafting areas of capitals.
  • Change to Target Nearest behavior.
  • Item comparison tooltips show stat comparisons.
  • Equipment visibility on the non-wardrobe wardrobe slot.
  • Ember Isle restricted to level 48+.
  • Ember Isle added to the "only one event" group of Ironpine
    Peak, Shimmersand, Stillmoor.

Patch 1.8
  • Infernal Dawn (new 20-player raid).
  • Fishing and Survival skills.
  • Guild Finder.
  • Leaderboards.
  • Instant Adventure on Ember Isle.
  • Seals (a new inventory slot, exclusively crafted).
  • New max-level crafting quests.
  • Anti-Planar Augmentation and Holy Champion replaced with a new Fury of the Ascended power.
  • Many pet graphics updated.
  • Debuffs have a new priority system to prevent weaker debuffs from overriding stronger debuffs.
  • New recipes to refine 20 of a material at a time.
  • Addon-style @ specifiers work even if you don't use addons.
  • Non-party-leaders can recommend players for invitations.
  • "Usable" at the Auction House now filters out already-known recipes.
  • Many more UI tweaks and improvements, QoL changes, and so on.

1.8 Hotfixes
  • Nameplates added! New settings. Color is based on the colors that unit
    names were drawn in.
  • Streaming client; you can now play before a patch is fully downloaded.
  • Porticulum cost changes (in-zone ports are always cheap).

Patch 1.9
  • Conquest: New three-way PvP for level 50s.
  • Mentoring: Starting at level 15, you can artificially lower your level, whether solo or in a group.
  • Instant Adventure expanded to Silverwood, Freemarch, Gloamwood, and Stonefield.
  • Queueing for "random adventure" may mentor you to put you in a low-level group.
  • Barbershop! Basically, recustomization of appearance other than race or sex.
  • New raid sliver, Primeval Feast. Harder than RotP.
  • PvP ranks increased to 50, along with new armor and such.
  • World event.
  • Optional icons showing what NPCs do.
  • XP locking feature removed (replaced by mentoring).
  • Cross-shard friend and chat functionality; you can send tells to Character@Shard, and you can join Channel@Shard private channels. Public channels are not cross-shard.
  • Daily quests for fishing and survival, additional features and functionality.
  • Improvements to the 300-skill crafting quests.
  • Cut/copy work in the chat input field.
  • World Event currencies that recur moved to the Currency tab.
  • Many addon API improvements.

1.9 Hotfixes
  • Friends list is now cross-shard within entire region, not just wargroup.
  • Friend and ignore lists not cleared when changing shards.
  • Many encounter and Conquest tweaks.


Patch 1.10
  • Faction boundaries reduced dramatically on PvE shards. PvP shards keep most of their boundaries, but LFG is cross-faction everywhere.
  • Guilds can contain members of both factions, and can do either set of guild quests.
  • Groups, whether player-formed or public, can contain members of both factions (who are not flagged).
  • Dungeons, instant adventures, and such are all cross-faction.
  • Characters can trade and mail across factions.
  • Characters can marry cross-faction, and public channels are shared (except World Defense).
  • Cross-shard tells, friends, etcetera are all also now cross-faction.
  • You can buy things like expansions, CE upgrades, character or guild renames, inside the game.
  • Instant adventure added to Scarwood Reach.
  • World event for fall.
  • Lots of lighting and fog improvements because of the Storm Legion rendering updates.
  • Icon overhead markers available (not just numeric ones).
  • Automatic "fill soul" button on soul trees.
  • Rare spawns should be more reliable.
  • Shuffling of locations and contents in Meridian and Sanctum to improve various things.
  • Train All button on calling trainer.
  • Bag UI scaleable.
  • Combat logs, screenshots, etc. moved to My Documents folder.
I have just leveled a warrior from scratch and a cleric dungeons queues sometimes took a while even as Tank/Healer. Instant Adventures seem to be the way most people level now.
 
But on the whole the game is still very much alive plenty of people to run endgame with. It might not have a huge sub base but it has enough imo to still make the game fun. I would suggest doing some research for which shard you might want to call home if you wish to try it out again.
 
You can play the game for free upto level 20 for anyone new and old players.
  apocoluster

Novice Member

Joined: 4/15/07
Posts: 1305

\m/,

10/04/12 12:32:51 PM#9
Originally posted by Dranny
People leave MMOs. Sometimes they come back. Since people who come back always want to know what's changed, I've decided to maintain a post that covers the key changes. This is mostly personal opinion. I'm mostly ignoring soul and calling balance issues and tweaks, with a few rare exceptions; suffice it to say that balancing is ongoing, and you should always assume that you need to review your builds.

There are a number of new porticulums, especially in very early starting areas. If you haven't been to them in a while, it may be worth running around and picking these up.

I'm mostly ignoring bug fixes. So basically... This is at most maybe 5% of the changes made. But it's the changes that really stuck out as being big changes that would affect what you can do in the game.

How to use this post: If you remember the patch during which you last played, skip ahead to that heading. If you just remember about when you last played, use the handy cheat sheet to look up what patch it was.

February 2011: Beta to Head Start
March 30, 2011: Patch 1.1
May 10, 2011: Patch 1.2
June 22, 2011: Patch 1.3
August 3, 2011: Patch 1.4
September 28, 2011: Patch 1.5
November 16, 2011: Patch 1.6
February 1, 2012: Patch 1.7
April 18, 2012: Patch 1.8
June 27, 2012: Patch 1.9
September 12, 2012: Patch 1.10

Note that there are tons of hotfixes, and a few patches have had sub-patches (1.0.1, 1.2.1). I ignore these and just treat everything during a given patch as "hotfixes".

You may also find the official RIFT trailers and videos interesting.

Beta to Head Start

Patch notes for beta aren't really available to us now. Among the biggest changes that occurred during or near beta:

  • Guards on PvE servers (only) are tougher vs. players.
  • Public groups can now be merged.

1.0 Hotfixes
  • Raid rifts -- new rifts aimed at raid-sized groups.
  • Locations can be linked in chat.
  • Coin lock feature (When logging in from a new computer or such, you get emailed a code; until you enter it, you can't do anything that destroys your stuff or removes money from your characters.)
  • Mobile authenticator added for Android and iOS.

Patch 1.1
  • First world event (world event mechanics added).
  • Video capture, complete with YouTube uploading.
  • Unmerge option for public groups.
  • Rift contribution is no longer measured against other players.

1.1 Hotfixes
  • Self-cast modifier key added.
  • River of Souls event bonus pack for characters who existed prior to the event.
  • River of Souls raid open.
  • Change to AFK logic; if there's no queue, you can be idle for a very long
    time without getting kicked.

Patch 1.2
  • LFG tool added (same-shard only; this changes later)
  • Wardrobe slots (cosmetic equipment)
  • Crafting rifts -- new rifts that reward crafting materials
  • "Slivers" and quantum/omen sight added.
  • New "sliver" raid added, enterable only with those abilities.
  • New diminishing returns design for CC in PvP.
  • Experts retuned for LFG, and to stop requiring second healers.
  • PvP rank adjustments.

1.2 Hotfixes
  • LFG instance ranges increased.
  • Item sellback and purchase confirmation added.

Patch 1.3
  • Guild banks.
  • Character transfers added! Character transfers are free, once per character per seven days.
  • AH remembers recently-used prices.

1.3 Hotfixes
  • "Trial shards" introduced.
  • "Exposed" removed.
  • Bind-to-Account vouchers for planar currencies.
  • Most event currency made Bind-to-Account.
  • Hammerknell Raid now open.

Patch 1.4
  • PvP rifts added.
  • LFG goes cross-shard.
  • New sliver raid (Drowned Halls)
  • Alternate-mode warfront feature added.
  • Water Saga epic quest chain added.
  • Quest items stored in separate quest bag.
  • BoP items tradeable to eligible characters for 30 minutes.
  • Soul Quests removed (souls are now purchased)
  • Synergy Crystals added (they give soul-specific set bonuses from armor sets)
  • PvP ranks 7 and 8.
  • "Take All" button for mailbox.
  • New crafting cooldowns.
  • Apothecaries can salvage planar essences.

1.4 Hotfixes
  • Can stay mounted in more of Meridian or Sanctum.
  • Taskbar icon flashes when message boxes pop up.
  • Vengeance stat added for PvP, Valor retuned.

Patch 1.5
  • Chronicles (solo/duo instances) added.
  • Veteran rewards added (subscription-length bonuses).
  • Planar Attunement (post-50 advancement).
  • Master-mode dungeons.
  • New warfront, Library of the Runemasters.
  • Introduction of addon API.
  • Ancient wardstones removed.

1.5 Hotfixes
  • All zone event sourcestone is now purple, drop rates and costs retuned.

Patch 1.6
  • Ember Isle -- a new zone for well-geared 50s.
  • New dungeon, Caduceus Rise (actually more than one instance).
  • Fae Yule world event.
  • New sliver raid, Rise of the Phoenix.
  • 90% mounts adjusted to level 30, not 40.
  • Addons can manipulate inventory.
  • Foraging and mining of some mob corpses.

1.6 Hotfixes
  • Instant Adventure -- LFG-like open-world adventure for 45+.
  • Mail to your own characters on same account regardless of faction.
  • Auction House is also cross-faction.
  • Rift Mobile app (access to guild chat from smart phones/tablets) for iOS.

Patch 1.7
  • Massive revamp of PvP ranks and gear.
  • Massive itemization revamp at 45+.
  • T1/T2 experts combined into a single tier.
  • "Purpose" system provides soul templates to help newbies to a role.
  • In-game weddings.
  • Master-mode Caduceus Rise.
  • River of Souls chronicle.
  • 6th role slot.
  • "Mercenary" system reassigns players to opposite side in warfronts to reduce queue times.
  • Wardrobes have individual settings for equipment visibility.
  • Crafting uses bank items.
  • HUGE volume of UI updates -- seriously, read the patch notes for these.
  • XP lock -- you can disable XP gain. (Removed in 1.9)

1.7 Hotfixes
  • Guild bankers added in crafting areas of capitals.
  • Change to Target Nearest behavior.
  • Item comparison tooltips show stat comparisons.
  • Equipment visibility on the non-wardrobe wardrobe slot.
  • Ember Isle restricted to level 48+.
  • Ember Isle added to the "only one event" group of Ironpine
    Peak, Shimmersand, Stillmoor.

Patch 1.8
  • Infernal Dawn (new 20-player raid).
  • Fishing and Survival skills.
  • Guild Finder.
  • Leaderboards.
  • Instant Adventure on Ember Isle.
  • Seals (a new inventory slot, exclusively crafted).
  • New max-level crafting quests.
  • Anti-Planar Augmentation and Holy Champion replaced with a new Fury of the Ascended power.
  • Many pet graphics updated.
  • Debuffs have a new priority system to prevent weaker debuffs from overriding stronger debuffs.
  • New recipes to refine 20 of a material at a time.
  • Addon-style @ specifiers work even if you don't use addons.
  • Non-party-leaders can recommend players for invitations.
  • "Usable" at the Auction House now filters out already-known recipes.
  • Many more UI tweaks and improvements, QoL changes, and so on.

1.8 Hotfixes
  • Nameplates added! New settings. Color is based on the colors that unit
    names were drawn in.
  • Streaming client; you can now play before a patch is fully downloaded.
  • Porticulum cost changes (in-zone ports are always cheap).

Patch 1.9
  • Conquest: New three-way PvP for level 50s.
  • Mentoring: Starting at level 15, you can artificially lower your level, whether solo or in a group.
  • Instant Adventure expanded to Silverwood, Freemarch, Gloamwood, and Stonefield.
  • Queueing for "random adventure" may mentor you to put you in a low-level group.
  • Barbershop! Basically, recustomization of appearance other than race or sex.
  • New raid sliver, Primeval Feast. Harder than RotP.
  • PvP ranks increased to 50, along with new armor and such.
  • World event.
  • Optional icons showing what NPCs do.
  • XP locking feature removed (replaced by mentoring).
  • Cross-shard friend and chat functionality; you can send tells to Character@Shard, and you can join Channel@Shard private channels. Public channels are not cross-shard.
  • Daily quests for fishing and survival, additional features and functionality.
  • Improvements to the 300-skill crafting quests.
  • Cut/copy work in the chat input field.
  • World Event currencies that recur moved to the Currency tab.
  • Many addon API improvements.

1.9 Hotfixes
  • Friends list is now cross-shard within entire region, not just wargroup.
  • Friend and ignore lists not cleared when changing shards.
  • Many encounter and Conquest tweaks.


Patch 1.10
  • Faction boundaries reduced dramatically on PvE shards. PvP shards keep most of their boundaries, but LFG is cross-faction everywhere.
  • Guilds can contain members of both factions, and can do either set of guild quests.
  • Groups, whether player-formed or public, can contain members of both factions (who are not flagged).
  • Dungeons, instant adventures, and such are all cross-faction.
  • Characters can trade and mail across factions.
  • Characters can marry cross-faction, and public channels are shared (except World Defense).
  • Cross-shard tells, friends, etcetera are all also now cross-faction.
  • You can buy things like expansions, CE upgrades, character or guild renames, inside the game.
  • Instant adventure added to Scarwood Reach.
  • World event for fall.
  • Lots of lighting and fog improvements because of the Storm Legion rendering updates.
  • Icon overhead markers available (not just numeric ones).
  • Automatic "fill soul" button on soul trees.
  • Rare spawns should be more reliable.
  • Shuffling of locations and contents in Meridian and Sanctum to improve various things.
  • Train All button on calling trainer.
  • Bag UI scaleable.
  • Combat logs, screenshots, etc. moved to My Documents folder.
I have just leveled a warrior from scratch and a cleric dungeons queues sometimes took a while even as Tank/Healer. Instant Adventures seem to be the way most people level now.
 
But on the whole the game is still very much alive plenty of people to run endgame with. It might not have a huge sub base but it has enough imo to still make the game fun. I would suggest doing some research for which shard you might want to call home if you wish to try it out again.
 
You can play the game for free upto level 20 for anyone new and old players.

Wait, so what changed again  :)d

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

  Bladestrom

Elite Member

Joined: 4/04/11
Posts: 3836

10/04/12 12:36:04 PM#10
Aha 13 November aprox release date it seems. I'll wait until then I think and catch the wave of new players and alts + expansion to explore. Oh bugger eve and ge2 then too!

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW (10000 hrs on main mage)> oblivion > LOTR (600 runemaster/Hunter) > Rift (230 hours mage) > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR

  odinsrath

Novice Member

Joined: 11/29/10
Posts: 839

10/04/12 12:37:09 PM#11

instant adventures** did they come out with this feature b4 gw2? just saying you can do this if your used to something like gw2 or if your like me and get bored of gw2 and all of the zerg zerg zerg instant adventures you can switch up and do some quest lvling at the town quest hubs...the game isnt great but its not bad either...cuz there really isnt anything else out there..atleast untill EQ goes f2p..but who knows what that model is gonna look like lol

 

  f0dell54

Novice Member

Joined: 4/16/12
Posts: 311

Sanity....
It's for the weak.

10/04/12 12:43:33 PM#12
Originally posted by odinsrath

instant adventures** did they come out with this feature b4 gw2? just saying you can do this if your used to something like gw2 or if your like me and get bored of gw2 and all of the zerg zerg zerg instant adventures you can switch up and do some quest lvling at the town quest hubs...the game isnt great but its not bad either...cuz there really isnt anything else out there..atleast untill EQ goes f2p..but who knows what that model is gonna look like lol

 

EQ is f2p and has been for quite some time.

  odinsrath

Novice Member

Joined: 11/29/10
Posts: 839

10/04/12 12:46:46 PM#13

oh thought it wasnt untill march of this year..thx ima go sub!

 

 

 

BLAH! eh nevermind SOE has the worst F2P iv even seen...and even paying 5.00$ a month for what they offer is a joke..i rly lol irl when i saw the silver model

  Goll25

Novice Member

Joined: 1/19/10
Posts: 187

10/04/12 12:48:42 PM#14
SL looks really cool, and the new pvp system they had implemented months ago almost made me resub. I wish the game was free to play so I can jump in and jump out! But I'll probably give it a fair try over the winter, coming into it without any prejudgements so I can truely see if I like it or not :p.
  Dranny

Hard Core Member

Joined: 10/04/06
Posts: 281

10/04/12 12:54:24 PM#15
Originally posted by odinsrath

instant adventures** did they come out with this feature b4 gw2? just saying you can do this if your used to something like gw2 or if your like me and get bored of gw2 and all of the zerg zerg zerg instant adventures you can switch up and do some quest lvling at the town quest hubs...the game isnt great but its not bad either...cuz there really isnt anything else out there..atleast untill EQ goes f2p..but who knows what that model is gonna look like lol

 

IA's came out long before GW2

  User Deleted
10/04/12 12:59:28 PM#16
Originally posted by grimal
Also be curious as well.  Are the lower areas populated enough to find groups?  Or is most of the population at max level?

After hearing about Storm Legion I decided to make a Mage character in the hopes of turning him into the new melee mage soul because the first 20 levels is free.  Luckily it didn't cost me anything because I still couldn't stomach the animations or the game world/lore or anything about the game really.  In a perfect world this game would be good but theres just to many little things that detract me from playing.

  norvak

Novice Member

Joined: 6/23/05
Posts: 53

 
OP  10/04/12 6:30:36 PM#17
Ya. I think I'll resub for a month and check it out.