|3 posts found|
OP 9/06/12 9:41:46 AM#1
I assume an MMO has already done this, but it's inspired by DAoC/GW2/td etc.
The idea is basically to hold a castle for a period of time against increasingly dangerous forces, and then retreat. The idea is to create a *dynamic*, interesting, battlefield suitable for a range of classes.
Assets:- a single (large) castle populated by trash mobs and a keep lord.
- there are also several 'mini-castles' strategically sited in defensive positions around the castle.
- at the corner of the map is a 'spawn point/staging post' with NPC guards and several convoys waiting.
- the players assault the castle and capture it by killing the keep lord.
- once captured waves of mobs with increasing difficulty will assault the castle. The waves are pseudo-random, and bosses
- fighting takes place from the ramparts, in breaches and caves beneath the castle.
- every 10 minutes an unstoppable giant mob will attack the castle and break down the main doors. If a convoy can be escorted to the castle successfully before this attack, then the doors will hold, allowing the beast to be killed. The doors will then be degraded such that 10 minutes later they will break unless another convoy reaches the castle.
- 55 minutes after capture, a friendly NPC at the castle will discover a 'macguffin' hidden under the lord's bed, and this will be loaded onto a wagon for transport back to the staging post.
- 5 minutes after the macguffin is removed, a massive wave will destroy the castle and then spread out over the map.
- the players need to defend the macguffin whilst it travels to the staging post... if that happens they get "significantly rewarded".
- they can be captured and held by players.
- they contain ballista which automatically fire on the main force, thinning the assault on the main castle.
- they can be 'claimed' by guilds, holding the mini-castle for a period of time will provide the guild with 'reward'.
- the guild reward from the mini-castle is increased by a factor of 2 if the macguffin is retrieved successfully.
Anyone bother to read it?
9/06/12 9:49:05 AM#2
This look like a quest chain for a set of dynamic events and I you may eventually see something like this in Gild Wars 2. This morning I was playing a sort of similar event chain, you had to lead a party of explorers down into a mine to try and find survivors. Once you had got down there you established a base camp and had to defend it. Once that was complete you had to take the researcher out to find the items that were littered over the mine. That is as far as I got but I can see that something similar to this could be done easily in Guild Wars 2 as the event technology is already inplace to do it.
OP 9/06/12 10:16:38 AM#3
Originally posted by Dragnog
Yep, certainly is.
Something I didn't mention above is that scenario is a 'server vs server competition', in the expectation that nobody ever gets the macguffin. The scoring is simply 'who holds the castle the longest', with bonus points to guilds for holding the mini-castles.
(the waves/bosses could be fixed, but changed/rotated each week/month to keep it fresh?)
Edit: a concern I have is whether people would get cheesed off with a scenario that never actually won... I think every N minutes a loot convoy should return to the staging post, giving a 'soft victory' to the defenders, to boost morale, even if they are all going to die horribly.