Trending Games | Villagers and Heroes | World of Warcraft | Landmark | Guild Wars 2

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,075 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,310,714
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Angry Birds Epic Anime Ninja Anime Pirates Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Ascend: Hand of Kul Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Boot Hill Heroes Borderlands 2 Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Bound by Flame Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Bravada Bravely Default Bravely Second Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Cast & Conquer Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Child of Light Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Cyberpunk 2077 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark Souls 2 Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Dead Island Dead Island 2 Dead Island: Riptide Deco Online Deep Down Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Divinity: Original Sin Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Age: Inquisition Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Fin Soup Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Drakengard 3 Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dungeon of the Endless Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout 4 Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Fearless Fantasy Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken Uprising Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Heart Forth Alicia Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes & Legends: Conquerors of Kolhar Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Atlan Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings Era Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online Kyn L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Redemption LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Grimrock 2 Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Lichdom: Battlemage Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lords of the Fallen Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance Mass Effect 4 MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms Might & Magic X: Legacy MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Moonrise Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mythborne Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Oort Online Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Overwatch Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Persona V Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pillars of Eternity Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints Pokémon X and Y PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Prodigy Project Blackout Project Gorgon Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Project Zomboid Puzzle Pirates Quest for Infamy Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rail Nation Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of Sierra Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Rebel Galaxy Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Risen 3: Titan Lords Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sacred 3 Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Chance Heroes Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow Realms Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowgate Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian South Park: The Stick of Truth Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Conflict Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Starbound Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Stormthrone Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Styx: Master of Shadows Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online TUG Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Terraria Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Banner Saga The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Epic Might The Hammers End The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2 The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Torment: Tides of Numenera Total Domination Transformers Universe Transistor Transverse Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Triad Wars Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Warflare Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune Wasteland 2 WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warriors World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenoblade Chronicles: X Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

General Discussion

General Discussion 

The Pub at MMORPG.COM  » This genre is dead

42 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Last Search
839 posts found
  dageeza

Novice Member

Joined: 8/14/04
Posts: 580

7/25/12 10:02:14 PM#101
Originally posted by Roenick

The real issue is they are taking the MMO out of MMORPG games. No one talks to each other outside of a few instances or if you're lucky enough to be a in a tight knit guild in a game that still has guilds.

We're all now special snowflakes with our own AWESOME epic quest where we're the hero.

Bring back the world where you are just a spec of dust on the large map. Where you could could travel for 20+ mins and not run into a soul till you got to a heavily populated town. That was immersion. Not run to X spot kill 10 run to Y spot kill 10 move to next level/area with harder kill 10 of quests.

And even though I plan to GW2 i sense even with their new appoach to run to X and kill 10...it's still the same ole same ole.

I think people would pay/subscribe to an "old school" type of game with modern graphics, but what  developer is going to take that risk?

20 minutes without seeing a soul?

Sounds like you were on an empty server or something to me..

i seriously dont recall playing any mmorpg that had big open zones that you could run for 20 minutes without seeing a soul and i wouldnt call anything described this way as an mmorpg cuz obviously theres no one else doing anything but socializing in town while waiting to get in a group.

What I remember in most old games is a lot overcamping, negotiating dragon raid camps with other competitive guilds and 40 minutes for our guild to organize and buff for a raid...

All time spent in town was because there was nothing for these folks to do until you got a group..

We were a small minority of hardcore gamers back then because there was not that many dedicated players then that could actually survive and thrive in the harsh realities of yesteryears games...

Thats why WoW exploded when it was released as it was geared toward both casual and hardcore players which actually gave a blast of fresh air to a stagnating niche mmo industry and opened the mmo market up..

 

Playing GW2..

  Roenick

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/19/04
Posts: 14

7/25/12 10:04:04 PM#102

"Assholes" are part of what makes the game interesting tho. It's part of the MMO experience imo. Getting other players to help defend something against team asshole? Sign me up. I'm not into the drama per se, but most mmos are so vanilla now. I actually miss "training" or having to run to zone. OR hell a class that actually crowd controls.

As a friend said to me today. "Everything has turned into run here, kill big groups of mobs (what happened to single pulls?), run there, kill some more big groups of mobs, run somewhere else, etc. with a bunch of strangers the game finds for you to play with...  I miss spending hours in groups with people you know..."

  Roenick

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/19/04
Posts: 14

7/25/12 10:08:02 PM#103
Originally posted by dageeza
Originally posted by Roenick

The real issue is they are taking the MMO out of MMORPG games. No one talks to each other outside of a few instances or if you're lucky enough to be a in a tight knit guild in a game that still has guilds.

We're all now special snowflakes with our own AWESOME epic quest where we're the hero.

Bring back the world where you are just a spec of dust on the large map. Where you could could travel for 20+ mins and not run into a soul till you got to a heavily populated town. That was immersion. Not run to X spot kill 10 run to Y spot kill 10 move to next level/area with harder kill 10 of quests.

And even though I plan to GW2 i sense even with their new appoach to run to X and kill 10...it's still the same ole same ole.

I think people would pay/subscribe to an "old school" type of game with modern graphics, but what  developer is going to take that risk?

20 minutes without seeing a soul?

Sounds like you were on an empty server or something to me..

i seriously dont recall playing any mmorpg that had big open zones that you could run for 20 minutes without seeing a soul and i wouldnt call anything described this way as an mmorpg cuz obviously theres no one else doing anything but socializing in town.

What I remember in most old games is a lot overcamping, negotiating dragon raid camps with other competitive guilds and 40 minutes for our guild to organize and buff for a raid...

All time spent in town was because there was nothing for these folks to do..

We were a small minority of gamers back then because there was not that many of us that could actually survive and thrive in the harsh realities of yesteryears games...

Do i miss it? Not really..

 

EQ, EQOA, Final Fantasy XI were all like this. I don't mean not seeing an actual soul but, there were areas where you felt like the world was huge  and the towns (or tunnels) were the place to find grps sell goods etc etc.

  3-4thElf

Apprentice Member

Joined: 6/03/12
Posts: 497

7/25/12 10:11:11 PM#104
Originally posted by austriacus
Originally posted by 3-4thElf
Originally posted by Sovrath
Originally posted by Clerigo
Originally posted by nariusseldon

Dead?

The market is huge and may still be expanding. Going into a direction you do not like != dead.

In fact, i think it is becoming MORE ALIVE, solving all the old problems (like camping & finding groups with instances & LFD/LFR), while giving a large part of the games to the players for FREE.

It is getting BETTER.

Did you really put some time into that response or you did it by heart in the heat of the hour?

I honestly cant say i agree 100% with the OP, but i sure can say you are 100% wrong. How can the last years of mmorpg life make it better in any model or conception? Do you really believe in what you are saying?

If i close my eyes to GW2, a tittle that many gamers are following and expecting to bring some freash air to a genre in a decline path, what other new mmorpg launches you can name that actually brought some solid concept? rift? swtor? what...2..3..4 names? Name them plz...after you name them, open the mmorpg list in this site....start counting them, start reading community feedback....and ask yourself....

"what the heck am i talking about??"

Sorry Clerigo but he's right.

Let's take your examples, rift, swtor, etc.

More people play those games NOW after the initial excitement has worn off than any of the early games. didn't EQ have 200 or 250k? did ultima have more? How much? I can't imagine it was hundreds of thousands more. What you seem to be asserting is that the small group of people who started in the mmo genre were right and the many more who are now playing and enjoying these games are wrong.

This is not to say that your opinion of today's games is "wrong" because you like what you like. But the mmo genre has grown and it seems that the majority of people playing are into today's games.

you might rebut with "they never stay in them for more than a few months if that". And I would say "that's because today's mmo gamers are probably not looking for anything with a greater commitment.

You can't take the template of the early adopters and apply that to everyone who has become a current mmo player.

Truth of the matter is that most of these games gather way more people at launch than they rightfully should have. Some of these people are looking for something different from WoW and then start crying because the games are not WoW; some of them are just looking for something to play for a small bit and then they can hop onto the next game that comes out.

When you cut away the players who really would never be interested in some of these games you do find that they still have players.

Rift has players. SWToR has players. AoC has players. Star Trek online has playres. And who do I listen to? The jaded and unhappy mmo gamres who decry the current set of games; where everything is shit, or the guy at work who isn't an mmo gamer but he tried Star Trek online and then says to me "I don't know why some people dont' like this game, it's really fun".

Do I listen to post after post of angry, angry forum goers or the father who plays SWToR with his daughter and I see them going on about how much they enjoy it and how much fun they are having?

Have you ever heard the expression "water finds its own level"? Many of these games had/have issues, true, but they still have an audience playing them. They still have fans.

Heck, I remember one woman at work who, to my surprise, was in a WoW raiding guild and she was applauding the changes that were being made to WoW because it meant that she would have more time to play. Essentially she liked the more casual aspect that was being added.

The mmo genre is growing and like any media, it has gathered greater fans but fans who are not as hardcore or who do not have the desire to play games that are "virtual worlds". Heck, even another guy at work, who I would say is a "gamer" told me last month that he preferred his games to be more like games and less like "worlds".

And the current mmos' are just up his alley.

The only growth the MMORPG market has seen is in Asia.

Compare new growth in the MMORPG market vs new growth in other gaming markets like mobile and console gaming I'd safely bet it's been dismal in comparison.

I mean 10-12 million users of something isn't a number to sneeze at, but that's the MMORPG market. You draw from there.

There's been nothing worthwhile (game world or virtual world) to come along in 8 years to really expand on that idea. I mean 2006-2008 sure it was an exciting time to talk about growth.

If anything I think since 2010 the market has fallen. 

With multiplayer games mostly being led by games like League of Legends or Call of Duty online titles.

MMOs are on their way to something, probably not death, but looking at the genre and what it has to offer it's on a short bus.

Your way of base here. Number of subers in the market is over 21m and thats not counting the players that play ftp which has seen an increased rise.

MMORPGS are not as small demographic as some of you think.

That counts multiple / farm subs if that.

Plus a lot of the games "in the market" really aren't. 

a yo ho ho

  OldManFunk

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/29/06
Posts: 900

7/25/12 10:15:00 PM#105
Originally posted by Roenick

"Assholes" are part of what makes the game interesting tho. It's part of the MMO experience imo. Getting other players to help defend something against team asshole? Sign me up. I'm not into the drama per se, but most mmos are so vanilla now. I actually miss "training" or having to run to zone. OR hell a class that actually crowd controls.

As a friend said to me today. "Everything has turned into run here, kill big groups of mobs (what happened to single pulls?), run there, kill some more big groups of mobs, run somewhere else, etc. with a bunch of strangers the game finds for you to play with...  I miss spending hours in groups with people you know..."

Of course it can be fun to be an asshole or hunt them, but we were looking at noncombat ways to build a sandbox and I couldn't get past the ability to plant and chop down trees before running into problems.

  austriacus

Novice Member

Joined: 8/28/07
Posts: 626

7/25/12 10:42:04 PM#106
Originally posted by Whyhate
Originally posted by austriacus

While they have been some failures the vast majority of themeparks are bringing loads of money to developers, even the worst ones. And have big populations.

You are the only one living on a bubble.

Most themeparks end up being F2P because not even a monkey can play one for more than a couple of months without getting bored.

 

Care to show some links where it says that FTP games generate more revenue than EvE?

 

Really, show me one.

 

The fact still remains, EvE has more subs than pretty much every themepark MMO except WOW.

 

And we are talking about a FFA PVP with full loot niche game where you are a ship, not a character.

 

Oh and nobody cares about F2P games, they are all shit anyway,

 

It's just funny when people say that the market for sandbox games is small when EvE, a sandbox MMO, has more subs than almost every half assed wow clone in the market.

 

Seriously get out of your ficking bubble http://www.superdataresearch.com/why-your-game-should-be-f2p/

They can suck beyond belief  for all i care, they make more money that the majority of subs, that includes eve

The market of ftp games while not the same as p2p is dominated by a few of them too.

Maplestory, Runes of magic and others like that. If i remember correctly there was somewhere they mentioned runes of magic generating revenue that was equal to 2m wow subs.

  austriacus

Novice Member

Joined: 8/28/07
Posts: 626

7/25/12 10:54:59 PM#107
Originally posted by 3-4thElf
Originally posted by austriacus
Originally posted by 3-4thElf
Originally posted by Sovrath
Originally posted by Clerigo
Originally posted by nariusseldon

Dead?

The market is huge and may still be expanding. Going into a direction you do not like != dead.

In fact, i think it is becoming MORE ALIVE, solving all the old problems (like camping & finding groups with instances & LFD/LFR), while giving a large part of the games to the players for FREE.

It is getting BETTER.

Did you really put some time into that response or you did it by heart in the heat of the hour?

I honestly cant say i agree 100% with the OP, but i sure can say you are 100% wrong. How can the last years of mmorpg life make it better in any model or conception? Do you really believe in what you are saying?

If i close my eyes to GW2, a tittle that many gamers are following and expecting to bring some freash air to a genre in a decline path, what other new mmorpg launches you can name that actually brought some solid concept? rift? swtor? what...2..3..4 names? Name them plz...after you name them, open the mmorpg list in this site....start counting them, start reading community feedback....and ask yourself....

"what the heck am i talking about??"

Sorry Clerigo but he's right.

Let's take your examples, rift, swtor, etc.

More people play those games NOW after the initial excitement has worn off than any of the early games. didn't EQ have 200 or 250k? did ultima have more? How much? I can't imagine it was hundreds of thousands more. What you seem to be asserting is that the small group of people who started in the mmo genre were right and the many more who are now playing and enjoying these games are wrong.

This is not to say that your opinion of today's games is "wrong" because you like what you like. But the mmo genre has grown and it seems that the majority of people playing are into today's games.

you might rebut with "they never stay in them for more than a few months if that". And I would say "that's because today's mmo gamers are probably not looking for anything with a greater commitment.

You can't take the template of the early adopters and apply that to everyone who has become a current mmo player.

Truth of the matter is that most of these games gather way more people at launch than they rightfully should have. Some of these people are looking for something different from WoW and then start crying because the games are not WoW; some of them are just looking for something to play for a small bit and then they can hop onto the next game that comes out.

When you cut away the players who really would never be interested in some of these games you do find that they still have players.

Rift has players. SWToR has players. AoC has players. Star Trek online has playres. And who do I listen to? The jaded and unhappy mmo gamres who decry the current set of games; where everything is shit, or the guy at work who isn't an mmo gamer but he tried Star Trek online and then says to me "I don't know why some people dont' like this game, it's really fun".

Do I listen to post after post of angry, angry forum goers or the father who plays SWToR with his daughter and I see them going on about how much they enjoy it and how much fun they are having?

Have you ever heard the expression "water finds its own level"? Many of these games had/have issues, true, but they still have an audience playing them. They still have fans.

Heck, I remember one woman at work who, to my surprise, was in a WoW raiding guild and she was applauding the changes that were being made to WoW because it meant that she would have more time to play. Essentially she liked the more casual aspect that was being added.

The mmo genre is growing and like any media, it has gathered greater fans but fans who are not as hardcore or who do not have the desire to play games that are "virtual worlds". Heck, even another guy at work, who I would say is a "gamer" told me last month that he preferred his games to be more like games and less like "worlds".

And the current mmos' are just up his alley.

The only growth the MMORPG market has seen is in Asia.

Compare new growth in the MMORPG market vs new growth in other gaming markets like mobile and console gaming I'd safely bet it's been dismal in comparison.

I mean 10-12 million users of something isn't a number to sneeze at, but that's the MMORPG market. You draw from there.

There's been nothing worthwhile (game world or virtual world) to come along in 8 years to really expand on that idea. I mean 2006-2008 sure it was an exciting time to talk about growth.

If anything I think since 2010 the market has fallen. 

With multiplayer games mostly being led by games like League of Legends or Call of Duty online titles.

MMOs are on their way to something, probably not death, but looking at the genre and what it has to offer it's on a short bus.

Your way of base here. Number of subers in the market is over 21m and thats not counting the players that play ftp which has seen an increased rise.

MMORPGS are not as small demographic as some of you think.

That counts multiple / farm subs if that.

Plus a lot of the games "in the market" really aren't. 

According to this site i found recently there are over 50m MMoers in USA alone so i also am way of base.

http://www.superdataresearch.com/global-mmo-games-spending-exceeds-12bn/

Now i dont know how accurate it is but it seems legit.

  User Deleted
 
OP  7/25/12 11:54:09 PM#108

I know some of you guys are having a hard time grasping this. It seems you are hard wired to believe virtual world=sandbox=ffa gankfest.

A virtual world is when the developers create game systems dedicated to other things besides killing stuff. When the only reason crafting is in your game is so you can say "yeah we got crafting", that is a fail in virtual world design. When all your non combat activities are the equivalent of mobile flash games, that is a fail in virtual world design.

Try to think about games you played and enjoyed that didnt involve killing things. Then apply that to a virtual world mmo and you can start to see how lacking these whack-a-mole themeparks are. Some of you are preaching about virtual worlds within the context of combat only. And from my perspective, you seem conditioned to think this is as good as it gets. And that is sad because this genre is suckin major ass right now as far as staying true to its roots.

  SoulSurfer

Novice Member

Joined: 6/19/08
Posts: 1255

7/26/12 12:00:53 AM#109
Originally posted by Roenick
Originally posted by dageeza
Originally posted by Roenick

The real issue is they are taking the MMO out of MMORPG games. No one talks to each other outside of a few instances or if you're lucky enough to be a in a tight knit guild in a game that still has guilds.

We're all now special snowflakes with our own AWESOME epic quest where we're the hero.

Bring back the world where you are just a spec of dust on the large map. Where you could could travel for 20+ mins and not run into a soul till you got to a heavily populated town. That was immersion. Not run to X spot kill 10 run to Y spot kill 10 move to next level/area with harder kill 10 of quests.

And even though I plan to GW2 i sense even with their new appoach to run to X and kill 10...it's still the same ole same ole.

I think people would pay/subscribe to an "old school" type of game with modern graphics, but what  developer is going to take that risk?

20 minutes without seeing a soul?

Sounds like you were on an empty server or something to me..

i seriously dont recall playing any mmorpg that had big open zones that you could run for 20 minutes without seeing a soul and i wouldnt call anything described this way as an mmorpg cuz obviously theres no one else doing anything but socializing in town.

What I remember in most old games is a lot overcamping, negotiating dragon raid camps with other competitive guilds and 40 minutes for our guild to organize and buff for a raid...

All time spent in town was because there was nothing for these folks to do..

We were a small minority of gamers back then because there was not that many of us that could actually survive and thrive in the harsh realities of yesteryears games...

Do i miss it? Not really..

 

EQ, EQOA, Final Fantasy XI were all like this. I don't mean not seeing an actual soul but, there were areas where you felt like the world was huge  and the towns (or tunnels) were the place to find grps sell goods etc etc.

I agree with the OP of this thread and his reasoning.  Having played EQ and XI, I can honestly say that this genre's future does not look promising.  

  laokoko

Apprentice Member

Joined: 9/14/09
Posts: 1937

7/26/12 12:06:27 AM#110

Maybe the pure mmorpg genre is too small.  So developer have to get their gamers else where, from single player, or esports pvper etc.

There are just so much more mmorpg players compare to 10 years ago.  They have to come from some where.

 

  OldManFunk

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/29/06
Posts: 900

7/26/12 12:14:53 AM#111
Originally posted by Foomerang

I know some of you guys are having a hard time grasping this. It seems you are hard wired to believe virtual world=sandbox=ffa gankfest.

A virtual world is when the developers create game systems dedicated to other things besides killing stuff. When the only reason crafting is in your game is so you can say "yeah we got crafting", that is a fail in virtual world design. When all your non combat activities are the equivalent of mobile flash games, that is a fail in virtual world design.

Try to think about games you played and enjoyed that didnt involve killing things. Then apply that to a virtual world mmo and you can start to see how lacking these whack-a-mole themeparks are. Some of you are preaching about virtual worlds within the context of combat only. And from my perspective, you seem conditioned to think this is as good as it gets. And that is sad because this genre is suckin major ass right now as far as staying true to its roots.

I get what you want but I don't think you realize how impossible it is to code into a game with good results.

 

You can have sandbox elements in single player and small group games because you're not up against "the asshole". Once you try to move these same elements that work for single player and coop games into a MMO "the asshole" takes over and becomes a serious design problem.

 

Try to think of one detailed example of what you want to see in a MMO and then put it up to "the asshole" challenge to see if it can work without adding restrictions.

  User Deleted
 
OP  7/26/12 1:21:30 AM#112


Originally posted by OldManFunk
Try to think of one detailed example of what you want to see in a MMO and then put it up to "the asshole" challenge to see if it can work without adding restrictions.

Why can't we street skate/hover board/parkour and have competitions in the hub cities?
Why aren't there race tracks?
Why aren't there competitive team sports that don't involve killing?
Why can't we have a turntablist profession? Or for that matter, a rock band/ddr clubscene with player mixed music?
How about Cyberball and a profession that can build the bots and players manage the teams?
Player housing that is part of a city such as a condo skyscraper.
Able to gather seeds and small plants from the forest and create gardens
How about instead of dev made kill quests, crafters can hire combat classes to defend their crops/livestock whatever from raiding npcs. The crafter gets a bonus to their yield if they hire real players and the combatants get paid by the crafter.

the list goes on. All of these things can be regulated and optimized for the least amount of griefing. Sure some may slip by, but that that is going to happen in any game worth a damn. Some devs try to make this perfect little canned mmo where nobody can get hurt or hurt themselves. They treat their player base like a bunch of bubble boys.

  deamian

Novice Member

Joined: 5/12/12
Posts: 66

7/26/12 1:30:50 AM#113

Computer

 

Keyboard

 

You enter a command or input, and something happens on screen.. What.... the ever loving hell do you want from an mmo?

 

Until we live with the Jetsons there are going to be some limitations.

  User Deleted
 
OP  7/26/12 1:55:30 AM#114


Originally posted by deamian
Computer

 

Keyboard

 

You enter a command or input, and something happens on screen.. What.... the ever loving hell do you want from an mmo?

 

Until we live with the Jetsons there are going to be some limitations.


I want it to continue in the direction it was heading 9 years ago. This isnt some unimaginable dream. It was taking shape in mmos like FFXI, SWG and AC and it has all but vanished. MMOrpgs are barely a shadow of what they once were. We have refined multiplayer action games. That is the definition of an mmorpg these days. Its so bad that people cant even grasp the concept of doing something else in an mmo anymore besides bashing stuff with a sword.

  khamul787

Apprentice Member

Joined: 2/20/11
Posts: 187

7/26/12 3:09:01 AM#115
Originally posted by Foomerang

 


Originally posted by OldManFunk
Try to think of one detailed example of what you want to see in a MMO and then put it up to "the asshole" challenge to see if it can work without adding restrictions.

 

Why can't we street skate/hover board/parkour and have competitions in the hub cities? Developer resources 
Why aren't there race tracks? 
Developer resources 
Why aren't there competitive team sports that don't involve killing? Not enough demand
Why can't we have a turntablist profession? Or for that matter, a rock band/ddr clubscene with player mixed music?
 Not enough demand
How about Cyberball and a profession that can build the bots and players manage the teams? Cool, why not. Developer resources yet again, though.
Player housing that is part of a city such as a condo skyscraper. Cool. Find the devs with time and funds to add this. Good luck.
Able to gather seeds and small plants from the forest and create gardens. Look! Something feasilble.
How about instead of dev made kill quests, crafters can hire combat classes to defend their crops/livestock whatever from raiding npcs. The crafter gets a bonus to their yield if they hire real players and the combatants get paid by the crafter.  
Not enough demand


The simple fact is, the market for this stuff is tiny. And when you have a tiny market, you have a tiny amount of potential income. And when you have a tiny amount of potential income, you can't pay for developers or resources. And when you don't have those, you don't have a functioning game. 

You're right; we could have these games, if we sacrificed graphics, world size, textures, compatibility, optimization, updates, etc. The amount of content required for a gigantic virtual world is unachievable based on the current size of the market of people who actually want these games in the first place.

 

  Quirhid

Elite Member

Joined: 1/28/05
Posts: 5725

Correcting wrongs on the Internet...

7/26/12 3:11:32 AM#116

This is why we need a sticky thread from this topic so we don't need to see new threads pop up.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

  Caldrin

Hard Core Member

Joined: 10/02/04
Posts: 4305

7/26/12 3:15:02 AM#117
Originally posted by Foomerang

100% combat oriented online games. Cash shops come standard. Purely developer driven content. Esport is the name of the game for pvp. Socialization has become automatized.

If you were to tell me ten years ago that this is what MMORPGS would be like, I would have never even bothered to get involved.

MMO versions of old console games from a decade ago. Thats what we have right now. The irony is that console games today are actually more open and diverse than these so called mmorpgs.

Its a shame. I have faith in indie devs, as always. But the AAA mmo devs have really led the genre astray as of late. I wonder if it will ever get back on track.

Your pretty much right.. i guess the instant gratification crowd started it all off :( ow we have instant leveling for pvp.. instant revives and so on..
 its a shame really..

 

but at least we can look at the idie devs, the next game im looknig forward to is the Repopulation.. cant bloody wait to get my hnds on that :)

 

My 3D models
http://dragon3d.webs.com/

  waynejr2

Elite Member

Joined: 4/12/11
Posts: 3853

RIP City of Heroes!

7/26/12 3:19:46 AM#118
Originally posted by Garvon3
Originally posted by nariusseldon

Dead?

The market is huge and may still be expanding.

Expanding in one direction, not diversifying or innovating.

Someone else might say if it's not broke don't fix it.  And before anyone pipes in remember, different tastes.

  Gaia_Hunter

Hard Core Member

Joined: 5/04/12
Posts: 2675

7/26/12 4:06:56 AM#119
Originally posted by Foomerang

I know some of you guys are having a hard time grasping this. It seems you are hard wired to believe virtual world=sandbox=ffa gankfest.

A virtual world is when the developers create game systems dedicated to other things besides killing stuff. When the only reason crafting is in your game is so you can say "yeah we got crafting", that is a fail in virtual world design. When all your non combat activities are the equivalent of mobile flash games, that is a fail in virtual world design.

Try to think about games you played and enjoyed that didnt involve killing things. Then apply that to a virtual world mmo and you can start to see how lacking these whack-a-mole themeparks are. Some of you are preaching about virtual worlds within the context of combat only. And from my perspective, you seem conditioned to think this is as good as it gets. And that is sad because this genre is suckin major ass right now as far as staying true to its roots.

And when they aren't, like the keg brawler, lets ignore it just because.

When you have jumping puzzles, that have lightning and gusting winds that you need to avoid while jumping, lets also ignore it.

Currently playing: GW2
Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, King of Tokyo

  Vaultar

Novice Member

Joined: 4/25/08
Posts: 342

7/26/12 4:11:27 AM#120
Originally posted by Foomerang

100% combat oriented online games. Cash shops come standard. Purely developer driven content. Esport is the name of the game for pvp. Socialization has become automatized.

If you were to tell me ten years ago that this is what MMORPGS would be like, I would have never even bothered to get involved.

MMO versions of old console games from a decade ago. Thats what we have right now. The irony is that console games today are actually more open and diverse than these so called mmorpgs.

Its a shame. I have faith in indie devs, as always. But the AAA mmo devs have really led the genre astray as of late. I wonder if it will ever get back on track.

Genre is currrently dead yes. But it will revive on 28th of August hehehehe.

Sorry couldn't help it >.<. :P

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

42 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Last Search