Trending Games | WildStar | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,776,534 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,191,615
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Deco Online Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Phoenix Edition LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Project Blackout Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Puzzle Pirates Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Hammers End The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Total Domination Transformers Universe Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

Guild Wars 2

Guild Wars 2 

General Discussion  » What is it with these leveling speed complaints on the official forums?

17 Pages First « 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Search
335 posts found
  joker007mo

Novice Member

Joined: 8/08/09
Posts: 720

6/21/12 2:50:02 PM#321
Originally posted by Creslin321

You know, while reading over this thread, I started to realize something related to this topic that I think is really important.

The way the hearts system and the scout system works now, puts GW2 in danger of becoming "just another quest-hub" MMO to a very large amount of players.  And the reason for this is simple...human psychology.  If you provide a straight path that goes from point A to B, then most people are going to take it...even if there are countless other "curvy" paths from A to B...most people will take the path of least resistance.

So basically what I'm saying is that if you can get to max level by simply walking linearly through zones and doing hearts quests...many, many players will do this and then denounce GW2 as just another WoW clone, quest-hub MMO.

Now, thankfully, you cannot just progress linearly with the way GW2 is right now.  If you try to do this, your will be underleveled, and the game FORCES YOU to take one of the more "curvy" paths from point A to point B.  Whether you decide to craft, WvW, explore other zones, or even do DE's over and over...YOU are the one that chose that path, and I think this is important.  GW2 forces YOU to make a decision on how to level...it is not just spoon-fed, and really, spoon-feeding the players content is the essence of a linear quest-hub MMO.

But imagine if ANet did capitulate to the folks complaining about this and tweak exp gain so that you can just roll through all the heart quests in a zone, and the occasional DE, and then move on.  A VERY large percentage of players would probably do just this, because it's simply the easiest way to level, and the big shining hearts on their map tell them where to go.

These players would roll through the game, get level 80, and then quit...thinking the game was just another dull quest-hub MMO.  And honestly, I think this would be bad all-around.

i agree though i would say thats also the idea its to cater to how you want to play and if you want the easiest route then that works for you.but im guessing they made it that way to allow everyone to enjoy how they want and if ppl dont like it they will go as all mmo games are subject to.

  Mors-Subita

Novice Member

Joined: 7/04/04
Posts: 462

6/21/12 3:32:07 PM#322
Originally posted by Sythion
Originally posted by seridan
 

I think you personally have said these things to me about 10 times in this thread.

I'm done with you. If you want to just assume that I don't know what I'm doing, despite my repeated explanations that should make it more than obvious that I "get it," then I have no use for you. (Although I will add the clarification that I refer the a DE as a successful run through the chain of it, not every single variation of every DE).

Until you try to play the Charr zone ONLY with no crafting or gathering, then your elitist assumptions on my play style and what I didn't do are worthless.

Can you clarify what you mean by "charr zone only" since I played a charr guardian through to 14 just in the charr zone... Although I was gathering a bit... just copper though, as it is a GREAT way to make money. was selling them at average 30c each... Selling 30-50 at a time.

I was lvl 14 and hadn't even finished the majority of the charr 1-15 zone, imo. I mean, I hadn't even uncovered all of the map along the main roads and there is tons of exploration and stuff to do...

  Sythion

Novice Member

Joined: 6/30/11
Posts: 425

6/21/12 4:35:57 PM#323
Originally posted by Mors-Subita
Originally posted by Sythion
Originally posted by seridan
 

I think you personally have said these things to me about 10 times in this thread.

I'm done with you. If you want to just assume that I don't know what I'm doing, despite my repeated explanations that should make it more than obvious that I "get it," then I have no use for you. (Although I will add the clarification that I refer the a DE as a successful run through the chain of it, not every single variation of every DE).

Until you try to play the Charr zone ONLY with no crafting or gathering, then your elitist assumptions on my play style and what I didn't do are worthless.

Can you clarify what you mean by "charr zone only" since I played a charr guardian through to 14 just in the charr zone... Although I was gathering a bit... just copper though, as it is a GREAT way to make money. was selling them at average 30c each... Selling 30-50 at a time.

I was lvl 14 and hadn't even finished the majority of the charr 1-15 zone, imo. I mean, I hadn't even uncovered all of the map along the main roads and there is tons of exploration and stuff to do...

I'd love to find out what you did differently than me. I explored everything, getting 100% completion on the exploration thing in both ascalon and black citadel, I completed my entire personal storyline through level 20 ( I just revived NPCs over and over to beat the level 20 boss). And I dilligently expereinced every DE on, around, and on-route to every one of the exporation points.

To ensure I experienced the full DEs I did the following:

  • I talked to every NPC I came across, as doing so often spawns DEs
  • I followed the key NPCs after the DE was done to see what else they needed, as that often spawns new legs of a DE.
  • If I failed a DE I would either follow the NPC back to wherever, or I would hang out in the area, killing mobs waiting for the chain to start again.
  • I generally tried to get back in on DE's from the beginning if I had joined in what seemed like the middle, though I was not comprehensive in this.
 
Here's what I did not do:
  • PvP
  • Gathering
  • Crafting
  • Non-guided exploring, assuming this actually is a bonus exp rewarding thing. (I did this a bit, finding two underwater caves, but I did not get any bonus exp or renown from them.)
  • Redoing DE's I'd already completed. There were a couple of exceptions, but for the most part if I saw that ghosts were attacking the same place I'd already saved, I did not join in on the quest.
  • Killing my way from point to point. If I could go around mobs I would go around mobs.
 
So yeah, I'm not sure what the key ingredient is. I have been thinking its crafting, based off the ridiculous EXP it gives, but maybe it's something else.
 
Really I think that those defending the leveling speed here are either doing stuff that has unreasonably high EXP to Time ratios, or they are running around redoing stuff because it doesn't bother them to do the same DEs over and over (which is still much better than the mmo status quo).

  Creslin321

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 2/27/09
Posts: 5424

 
OP  6/21/12 4:51:18 PM#324
Originally posted by Sythion
Originally posted by Creslin321

 I honestly think that instead of trying to do "all the content" in a zone to level...players should just you know...play the game.  Do whatever they want.

That's the beauty of GW2.  You don't have to do A->B->C...the game world is fairly open to you.  If you find a DE that you really like, you can do it 12 times and still be rewarded!  On the other hand, if you get tired of one particular zone, you can just jump to another and dive right in without having to do some annoying quest chain.

There's only a problem with exp if there is so little content that you really have no choice in what to do when leveling (linear), or you have to repeat some content in order to level.  AoC, for example, had too little content at release...and SWTOR did arguably as well because you were basically forced into one linear path for a large part of the game.

GW2 isn't like this at all...you have SO MANY options of what you can do to level.  If you have a problem with it, it's only because you are trying to play the game in some particular way that you have decided is "right" and then find out that it doesn't work.

The game wasn't designed for you to just linearly roll through zones...it's designed to be explored and experienced.  If you are just trying to roll through "quest-hubs" ala WoW...then you are playing it wrong and depriving yourself from an experience you may actually really enjoy.

I agree entirely with every paragraph except the highlighted one.. I feel that I've done a lot of stuff that I enjoy doing, and make me feel alive and immersed in the world, and that it is not enough.

 

I think my main issue with a lot of the "extra stuff" that can be done comes down to narrative cohesiveness. Frankly, most people, including those for and against GW2's DE system, don't give a flying pig about this. So I know I'm in the minority here. However it's the main reason why I was so excited about the DE system, and the bredth of content. No longer am I forced to help every pathetic person you just wants me to do their chores for them. People who need help actually need help, etc. I absolutely love this stuff, but it's really rough on my experience when things break this narrative cohesiveness.

This is what I don't like about some of the things people have been saying should be done instead of "following the linear path" or whatever:

  • Doing DE's over and over again. While GW2 does a decent job of having its NPCs explain why some of the content is repeatable, it's still very demoralizing to save a place, and 5 minutes later have to save it again and again. It makes me feel like I haven't actually accomplished what I worked for, and so I avoid these areas after I've set things right, (probably as much subconciously as intentionally).
  • Going to other races starting areas. This could work if I felt any narrative reason to try and help other races. As it is, I don't. There's enough going on in my zones that I feel is more important to my character that I would feel like I'm betraying them if I were to go help a different zone out instead. This is 100000000000 times more true for humans going back to Ascalon to help the Charr desecrate their ancesotors. 
  • Gathering and crafting. So I know this has been an MMO staple since UO started it, and I know that the sandbox crowd thinks it's absolutely necessary, but I flipping hate crafting. I hate that doing something so mundane in a world that I join in order to escape the mundanity of my own life. I think crafting is important, because a lot of people escape to these online worlds to try to feel like they are building and creating stuff. I get enough of that at home, and I dont' want more here. The point is it shouldn't be necessary. Although it's not really necessary in GW2, it's so lucrative in EXP that it's throwing everything off and giving people wildly varying experiences with "leveling speed". Want to have a slower leveling speed? DON'T CRAFT!
  • PvP. There's a lot of potential here, but I just was not able to get into it. The rules for how PvP is set up seems a little archaic (though I didn't try last BWE), and again it is just not my tying my character's story into the PvP experience.
 
People on this site need to realize that giving narrative reasons why something should be done does not immediately result in leading a player by the nose.

 Well, I see what you're saying, and it is true that I basically "don't care" about narrative cohesiveness in an MMO.  IMO, story is basically bad for an MMO because it's a one-shot thing...and I include the GW2 personal story in this.

That said though, I understand I am not the only person in the universe, and I am not against catering to folks who may not like exactly what I like.

Anyway, I really think the best reason to your problem is, instead of upping exp rate, ANet can just give you a narrative reason to go to the other starter areas.  Just have a scout or other NPC that tells you how the Charr or whatever need help and ties it into the story of your area.  What woudl you think of this solution?

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

  Skarecrow7

Novice Member

Joined: 12/15/10
Posts: 342

6/21/12 4:55:37 PM#325

They will never be able to make it perfect for everyone. I had fun in the bwe's and didnt have a problem with the leveling speed so I would vote to keep as is. And that is my argument.. is it fun? Yes! ok, please dont change.

  Loke666

Elite Member

Joined: 10/29/07
Posts: 16464

6/21/12 4:59:47 PM#326
Originally posted by p_c_sousa
Originally posted by Sythion
  • Doing DE's over and over again. While GW2 does a decent job of having its NPCs explain why some of the content is repeatable, it's still very demoralizing to save a place, and 5 minutes later have to save it again and again. It makes me feel like I haven't actually accomplished what I worked for, and so I avoid these areas after I've set things right, (probably as much subconciously as intentionally).

hmmm. this was only a "problem" on BW1 on  start zones. on BW1  lvl15+ zones  you didnt have any DE spam every 5m and on BW2 they reduce a lot the spam time of DE on start zones.

people complain DE are to quick and others to slow....well they need to say something bad about game

Maybe, but maybe is jsut the fine tuning not perfect yet.

DEs did reoccur too often in BWE1. It didn´t think it were to rare in BWE2 myself though, but it is possible that they were. Tuning stuff like this is after all one of the reasons you have betas and not everything becomes perfect after you change it one time.

  loulaki

Hard Core Member

Joined: 12/20/11
Posts: 789

6/21/12 5:18:52 PM#327
Originally posted by Sythion
Originally posted by Creslin321

 I honestly think that instead of trying to do "all the content" in a zone to level...players should just you know...play the game.  Do whatever they want.

That's the beauty of GW2.  You don't have to do A->B->C...the game world is fairly open to you.  If you find a DE that you really like, you can do it 12 times and still be rewarded!  On the other hand, if you get tired of one particular zone, you can just jump to another and dive right in without having to do some annoying quest chain.

There's only a problem with exp if there is so little content that you really have no choice in what to do when leveling (linear), or you have to repeat some content in order to level.  AoC, for example, had too little content at release...and SWTOR did arguably as well because you were basically forced into one linear path for a large part of the game.

GW2 isn't like this at all...you have SO MANY options of what you can do to level.  If you have a problem with it, it's only because you are trying to play the game in some particular way that you have decided is "right" and then find out that it doesn't work.

The game wasn't designed for you to just linearly roll through zones...it's designed to be explored and experienced.  If you are just trying to roll through "quest-hubs" ala WoW...then you are playing it wrong and depriving yourself from an experience you may actually really enjoy.

I agree entirely with every paragraph except the highlighted one.. I feel that I've done a lot of stuff that I enjoy doing, and make me feel alive and immersed in the world, and that it is not enough.

 

I think my main issue with a lot of the "extra stuff" that can be done comes down to narrative cohesiveness. Frankly, most people, including those for and against GW2's DE system, don't give a flying pig about this. So I know I'm in the minority here. However it's the main reason why I was so excited about the DE system, and the bredth of content. No longer am I forced to help every pathetic person you just wants me to do their chores for them. People who need help actually need help, etc. I absolutely love this stuff, but it's really rough on my experience when things break this narrative cohesiveness.

This is what I don't like about some of the things people have been saying should be done instead of "following the linear path" or whatever:

  • Doing DE's over and over again. While GW2 does a decent job of having its NPCs explain why some of the content is repeatable, it's still very demoralizing to save a place, and 5 minutes later have to save it again and again. It makes me feel like I haven't actually accomplished what I worked for, and so I avoid these areas after I've set things right, (probably as much subconciously as intentionally).
  • Going to other races starting areas. This could work if I felt any narrative reason to try and help other races. As it is, I don't. There's enough going on in my zones that I feel is more important to my character that I would feel like I'm betraying them if I were to go help a different zone out instead. This is 100000000000 times more true for humans going back to Ascalon to help the Charr desecrate their ancesotors. 
  • Gathering and crafting. So I know this has been an MMO staple since UO started it, and I know that the sandbox crowd thinks it's absolutely necessary, but I flipping hate crafting. I hate that doing something so mundane in a world that I join in order to escape the mundanity of my own life. I think crafting is important, because a lot of people escape to these online worlds to try to feel like they are building and creating stuff. I get enough of that at home, and I dont' want more here. The point is it shouldn't be necessary. Although it's not really necessary in GW2, it's so lucrative in EXP that it's throwing everything off and giving people wildly varying experiences with "leveling speed". Want to have a slower leveling speed? DON'T CRAFT!
  • PvP. There's a lot of potential here, but I just was not able to get into it. The rules for how PvP is set up seems a little archaic (though I didn't try last BWE), and again it is just not my tying my character's story into the PvP experience.
 
People on this site need to realize that giving narrative reasons why something should be done does not immediately result in leading a player by the nose.

just to add this:

[GW2] Unskinned “Fun”

  Sythion

Novice Member

Joined: 6/30/11
Posts: 425

6/21/12 5:25:02 PM#328
Originally posted by Creslin321

 Well, I see what you're saying, and it is true that I basically "don't care" about narrative cohesiveness in an MMO.  IMO, story is basically bad for an MMO because it's a one-shot thing...and I include the GW2 personal story in this.

That said though, I understand I am not the only person in the universe, and I am not against catering to folks who may not like exactly what I like.

Anyway, I really think the best reason to your problem is, instead of upping exp rate, ANet can just give you a narrative reason to go to the other starter areas.  Just have a scout or other NPC that tells you how the Charr or whatever need help and ties it into the story of your area.  What woudl you think of this solution?

I think that's great, and I was implying that in my posts. Since that might come off a bit awkward, it might be better still to have a couple more DE's or Hearts in the zones.

As far as a one-shot narrative thing goes, I think that's a feeling that's reverberated from the entire industrying basically doing-it-wrong for 20+ years. We have this medium that allows players to be put into the shoes of protagonists, and then we tell players what their characters (them) do.

At its VERY best these linear, narrative heavy games take out the 'put you in the shoes of the protagonist' and just end up looking like a movie (and there are ways to improve this, such as giving actual choices and possibilities for failure, ala Heavy rain).

More often the result comes off feeling like a novel written entirely in second person by a nerdy high-school kid.

DE's are a step in the right direction towards making narrative non-linear, and I hope they are successful and that things progress further in that route.

Narrative doesn't have to be linear anymore than gameplay does.

  Stx11

Novice Member

Joined: 11/28/09
Posts: 420

6/21/12 9:25:44 PM#329
Originally posted by Sythion

I'd love to find out what you did differently than me. I explored everything, getting 100% completion on the exploration thing in both ascalon and black citadel, I completed my entire personal storyline through level 20 ( I just revived NPCs over and over to beat the level 20 boss). And I dilligently expereinced every DE on, around, and on-route to every one of the exporation points.

To ensure I experienced the full DEs I did the following:

  • I talked to every NPC I came across, as doing so often spawns DEs
  • I followed the key NPCs after the DE was done to see what else they needed, as that often spawns new legs of a DE.
  • If I failed a DE I would either follow the NPC back to wherever, or I would hang out in the area, killing mobs waiting for the chain to start again.
  • I generally tried to get back in on DE's from the beginning if I had joined in what seemed like the middle, though I was not comprehensive in this.
 
Here's what I did not do:
  • PvP
  • Gathering
  • Crafting
  • Non-guided exploring, assuming this actually is a bonus exp rewarding thing. (I did this a bit, finding two underwater caves, but I did not get any bonus exp or renown from them.)
  • Redoing DE's I'd already completed. There were a couple of exceptions, but for the most part if I saw that ghosts were attacking the same place I'd already saved, I did not join in on the quest.
  • Killing my way from point to point. If I could go around mobs I would go around mobs.
 
So yeah, I'm not sure what the key ingredient is. I have been thinking its crafting, based off the ridiculous EXP it gives, but maybe it's something else.
 
Really I think that those defending the leveling speed here are either doing stuff that has unreasonably high EXP to Time ratios, or they are running around redoing stuff because it doesn't bother them to do the same DEs over and over (which is still much better than the mmo status quo).

I *think* I figured out what you might be lacking:

Here's what I did not do:
  • Non-guided exploring, assuming this actually is a bonus exp rewarding thing. (I did this a bit, finding two underwater caves, but I did not get any bonus exp or renown from them.)

There are a ton of DEs/"Hidden Gems" off the "Main Path" including "Elite Encounters" "Jumping Puzzles" and full-blown Dynamic Events amongst others that you "missed out" on.

These things aren't necessarily near POIs, Skill Challenges, or any of the Hearts. You won't be guided to them in almost any way other than by seeking them out. Most importantly, I'd guess that anywhere from 30-40% of the PvE content (especially in higher level zones) is contained in these "Out of the Way" experiences.

Step off the beaten path... you never know just what kinds of adventures you might find!

  Sythion

Novice Member

Joined: 6/30/11
Posts: 425

6/22/12 9:48:38 AM#330
Originally posted by Stx11

I *think* I figured out what you might be lacking:

Here's what I did not do:
  • Non-guided exploring, assuming this actually is a bonus exp rewarding thing. (I did this a bit, finding two underwater caves, but I did not get any bonus exp or renown from them.)

There are a ton of DEs/"Hidden Gems" off the "Main Path" including "Elite Encounters" "Jumping Puzzles" and full-blown Dynamic Events amongst others that you "missed out" on.

These things aren't necessarily near POIs, Skill Challenges, or any of the Hearts. You won't be guided to them in almost any way other than by seeking them out. Most importantly, I'd guess that anywhere from 30-40% of the PvE content (especially in higher level zones) is contained in these "Out of the Way" experiences.

Step off the beaten path... you never know just what kinds of adventures you might find!

You may be right, but I'm going to assume you are either exaggerating or you are really bad with numbers. 30-40% is kind of a ridiculous figure to throw out, especially considering how much of the map is covered by hitting all PoIs and WPs.

  terrant

Novice Member

Joined: 3/16/07
Posts: 1685

6/22/12 10:16:27 AM#331
Originally posted by Sythion
Originally posted by Stx11

I *think* I figured out what you might be lacking:

Here's what I did not do:
  • Non-guided exploring, assuming this actually is a bonus exp rewarding thing. (I did this a bit, finding two underwater caves, but I did not get any bonus exp or renown from them.)

There are a ton of DEs/"Hidden Gems" off the "Main Path" including "Elite Encounters" "Jumping Puzzles" and full-blown Dynamic Events amongst others that you "missed out" on.

These things aren't necessarily near POIs, Skill Challenges, or any of the Hearts. You won't be guided to them in almost any way other than by seeking them out. Most importantly, I'd guess that anywhere from 30-40% of the PvE content (especially in higher level zones) is contained in these "Out of the Way" experiences.

Step off the beaten path... you never know just what kinds of adventures you might find!

You may be right, but I'm going to assume you are either exaggerating or you are really bad with numbers. 30-40% is kind of a ridiculous figure to throw out, especially considering how much of the map is covered by hitting all PoIs and WPs.

Yes and no. You probably missed a lot of unique DEs by not doing any non-guided exploring. I'm not sure it explains the gaps in your respective levelling vs other players though. 

 

Mind you, I heard complaints from some people in Queensdale similar to yours and never could figue it out. I wonder if your level of participation, the number of people in the DE, etc has an impact on xp gain; in other words, being on a more (or less) populated server might make a difference. I hope that is not the case.

  seridan

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/26/12
Posts: 1212

6/22/12 11:08:46 AM#332
Originally posted by terrant

Mind you, I heard complaints from some people in Queensdale similar to yours and never could figue it out. I wonder if your level of participation, the number of people in the DE, etc has an impact on xp gain; in other words, being on a more (or less) populated server might make a difference. I hope that is not the case.

The level of participation has an impact on xp gain, gold, silver and bronze medals award different amounts of experience. I don't think server population has anything to do with xp gain though.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

  Stx11

Novice Member

Joined: 11/28/09
Posts: 420

6/22/12 11:11:11 AM#333
Originally posted by Sythion
Originally posted by Stx11

...anywhere from 30-40% of the PvE content (especially in higher level zones) is contained in these "Out of the Way" experiences...

You may be right, but I'm going to assume you are either exaggerating or you are really bad with numbers. 30-40% is kind of a ridiculous figure to throw out, especially considering how much of the map is covered by hitting all PoIs and WPs.

The 30-40% was in reference to higher level zones. They have fewer Hearts as they ween you off of the "guided" experience.

Almost every cave or remote area I've explored in the game had something going on in it - whether it was a mini-boss guarding resources, a jumping puzzle, or a DE there was still content there. Just the path you can take to a location can greatly affect how much content you encounter and what you get out of the experience.

I have a Guildie that stuck to the roads and used Waypoints frequently when unlocked all while "rushing through" to try to get to the Personal Story instances as fast as possible. She had the same problem you did. Luckily she likes Crafting so that should address her issues.

If you were as "Completionist-focused" as you've posted, I wouldn't be surprised if just the experience from Gathering (not even Crafting/Refining) would be more than enough to cover your XP shortage, but if that's too "immersion-breaking" for you then all I can say is there's nothing wrong with a player preferring a structured approach to playing but it doesn't mean ANet "did it wrong" just that this might not be the right game for you.

Edit: Please remember, the *focus* of GW2 PvE is on Exploration and DEs, *not* the Personal Story, and the game's design reflects that.

  Josher

Novice Member

Joined: 7/25/03
Posts: 2835

6/22/12 1:33:36 PM#334

Its certainly not slow and besides, whats the rush?  There's no monthly fee and no real POINT to being top level really fast.  What are people going to accomplish that doesn't completely reset itself every 2 weeks?  Its not like theres anything persistant to obtain before anyone.   And like others said, if you're underleveled you've obviously missed a bunch of things, so GO DO THEM.  

I don't think we should have to go to another races areas just to level up, but you do miss out on skill points if you don't.  Replay value is key in this respect.  its one of those great things WOW had.  Lots of different areas to level up in.

  BadSpock

Hard Core Member

Joined: 8/21/04
Posts: 7682

Logic be damned!

6/22/12 1:36:36 PM#335

ImaginaA-aa-AA-aa-a-A-tion...

 

Now Playing: D3:RoS, Watch Dogs
Looking Towards: Destiny

17 Pages First « 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Search