Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,783,412 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,192,315
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Deco Online Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Phoenix Edition LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Project Blackout Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Puzzle Pirates Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Hammers End The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Total Domination Transformers Universe Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

Elder Scrolls Online

Elder Scrolls Online 

General Discussion  » ZeniMax 'unapologetic' about making Elder Scrolls MMO

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search
130 posts found
  BigCountry

Novice Member

Joined: 5/31/05
Posts: 480

6/04/12 2:47:08 PM#81

I am going to use Ultima Online as the perfect example for taking a single player game and turning it into a mmorpg.

 

Origin took the single player game itself, the gameplay, the storyline, the mechanics, the engine, art work, and ported/morphed it into online play.

 

And this is why it was sucessful from the beginning. Because players loved the Ultima Series, they loved how it functioned, were familiar in how it worked. So when they got a hold of an online version, it blew them away!!

 

You cannot take a great single player game like TES series and totally revamp the gameplay/mechanics/physics etc into an online version. Something unfamilair to your exisiting player base.  It will not be an Elder Scrolls game then, at least not to its followers.

 

The creaters need to grow some balls and turn TES, LITERALLY, into a mmorpg, not changing anything but for the most part the ability for multiple players to coexist in the world. This will be what the players want. They want "Skyrim Online". And if you cannot deliver that from a technical perspective, do NOT clone WoW/GW2 with TES art/story line. That will be horrible. Anything less will be complete failure in my opinion...

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

  Uhwop

Elite Member

Joined: 3/20/10
Posts: 1617

6/04/12 2:48:19 PM#82
Originally posted by Shadanwolf

In the US its still lawful to invest your money the way you see fit.Game companys can make games the way they want and be rewarded or punished depending what consumers determine.

GEESH

 

Do you call car companys because almost ever years modles look like the previous years ?

New toilet paper brands..there white and on rolls....shall we start to ruminate about  that too !

 

In the US we have free enterprise.Take a breath and lets see what kind of game they make...then vote.

 Now there's an awesome analogy!  Perhaps the government can issue a bailout for the MMO industry because it refuses to inovate and progress the genre instead of making the exact same thing over and over.

Or did you forget that the reason most of the US car compnaies did in fact fail, is because they refused to move forward in a time when people were losing jobs and had to be more aware of how they spent there money.  I guess the US care industry wasn't critisized for continuing to push SUV, and cars with big engines, while foreign car companies were putting focus on making more fuel efficient vehicles that didn't cost an arm and a log to buy or put gas in?

I suppose we can't see a correlation here?  ZeniMax sounds like Chevy showing up to a press conference in an SUV and telling the world they won't apologize for producing more large trucks and SUV that people won't buy or can't afford, and we'll just keep on doing it; in fact here's yet another suburban no one wants.

Perfect analogy you chose to use there guy.

  Lawlmonster

Apprentice Member

Joined: 10/07/09
Posts: 940

Take my advice, I'm not using it anyway.

6/04/12 2:50:43 PM#83
Originally posted by Boraell

I find it very amusing that because they say "its an MMO, it wont be like skyrim" all the haters somehow read that as them saying it will be a WoW clone, despite no mention of WoW anywhere... theres probably something freudian in there somewhere:P

There's actually plenty of information contrary to what you've posted, that does in fact indicate that this game is going to be as themepark as the next.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

  Burntvet

Elite Member

Joined: 11/16/07
Posts: 2727

6/04/12 2:51:00 PM#84

I am unapologetic about telling the makers of TESO to go get stuffed.

As an ES fan, I do not see the point in making an "ES MMO" when they are taking all of the game elements of an ES game out and making a WoW clone, which they have explicitly stated they are doing...

The genre does not need or want another "clone".

Were they not paying attention to TOR?

 

 

  Uhwop

Elite Member

Joined: 3/20/10
Posts: 1617

6/04/12 2:51:15 PM#85
Originally posted by Boraell

I find it very amusing that because they say "its an MMO, it wont be like skyrim" all the haters somehow read that as them saying it will be a WoW clone, despite no mention of WoW anywhere... theres probably something freudian in there somewhere:P

 I find it amusing that there is a GI article in which those same guys make a comparison to features in ESO and WoW like a dozen times and still people like you insist on telling everyone it's not going to be anything like WoW.  Even though the devs have already said it will.

  SEANMCAD

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 3/22/09
Posts: 4813

6/04/12 3:00:55 PM#86
Originally posted by Uhwop
Originally posted by Shadanwolf

In the US its still lawful to invest your money the way you see fit.Game companys can make games the way they want and be rewarded or punished depending what consumers determine.

GEESH

 

Do you call car companys because almost ever years modles look like the previous years ?

New toilet paper brands..there white and on rolls....shall we start to ruminate about  that too !

 

In the US we have free enterprise.Take a breath and lets see what kind of game they make...then vote.

 Now there's an awesome analogy!  Perhaps the government can issue a bailout for the MMO industry because it refuses to inovate and progress the genre instead of making the exact same thing over and over.

Or did you forget that the reason most of the US car compnaies did in fact fail, is because they refused to move forward in a time when people were losing jobs and had to be more aware of how they spent there money.  I guess the US care industry wasn't critisized for continuing to push SUV, and cars with big engines, while foreign car companies were putting focus on making more fuel efficient vehicles that didn't cost an arm and a log to buy or put gas in?

I suppose we can't see a correlation here?  ZeniMax sounds like Chevy showing up to a press conference in an SUV and telling the world they won't apologize for producing more large trucks and SUV that people won't buy or can't afford, and we'll just keep on doing it; in fact here's yet another suburban no one wants.

Perfect analogy you chose to use there guy.

This is likely the best response I have seen in a forum ever.

Does you MMO have rainbow sprinkles?

  Boraell

Advanced Member

Joined: 1/17/06
Posts: 76

6/04/12 3:03:32 PM#87
Originally posted by Uhwop
Originally posted by Boraell

I find it very amusing that because they say "its an MMO, it wont be like skyrim" all the haters somehow read that as them saying it will be a WoW clone, despite no mention of WoW anywhere... theres probably something freudian in there somewhere:P

 I find it amusing that there is a GI article in which those same guys make a comparison to features in ESO and WoW like a dozen times and still people like you insist on telling everyone it's not going to be anything like WoW.  Even though the devs have already said it will.

Actually no they havent, the reviewer is the only person who mentions WoW, I belive it is mentioned 3 times out of 15 pages. 'People like you' should try getting your facts staight instead of jumping straight in with the lynch mob.

  Sovrath

Elite Member

Joined: 1/06/05
Posts: 17010

6/04/12 3:11:58 PM#88
Originally posted by Lawlmonster
Originally posted by Sovrath
Originally posted by Lawlmonster

Yeah, this isn't news to me. The individual I know working for development on TES has been pretty unapologetic every time we've spoken about the project. I've posted more details regarding what I've heard from this person, and if you're interested you can find that post here:

 

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5024735#5024735

Well, here's one way to think about it:

Given what you said about expanding the universe it seems that they aren't interested in making "Skyrim Online" or "Morrowind Online" but instead want to reach out to themepark mmo players and offer a version of Elderscrolls specifically for their demographic.

Which actually makes sense.

They aren't saying "hey, there are all these Elderscrolls fans, let's make them an online game". They are saying "hey, there are all these mmo players, lets' bring them the Elderscrolls lore in a medium they are comfortable with.

Yeah, but the SRPG fans have been saying since Morrowind, "man, wouldn't it be fucking awesome if this game had a multiplayer function!" Who gives a shit about the themepark audience? OH WAIT! Production and development companies do, because they know these mouth breathers spend money on every piece of garbage that gets shoved out the god damn door! So, sure, alienate the customers who've stuck with your product, who've been dreaming of an enhanced version of the single player games, so you can make a quick buck. Good work.

yeah thats' a bit too cyncial for my taste.

I'm not really into insulting people for liking things that are not my taste. Sort of a habit I developed over the years.

In any case, Bethesda isn't making the game, and aren't interested in Multi-Player.

Zenimax wanted an mmo and probably thought that they own a rich IP that could be used.

I hate to say it but his is more about expanding their IP to different markets (so to speak).

A multi-player Morrowind was just never going to happen Becasue Bethesda really believes in their single player game. Quite frankly, kudos to them for sticking to their guns. However, as cynical as your post sounds there is a ring of truth to part of it. They know the mmo market is a huge market and for those companies that can pull it off, they can be financially successful.

They are no looking at it as alienating customers. If anyting they are thinking that the mmorpg demographic has different people than the single player game demographic and they want to reach out to them.

they way they would alienate their customers was to cease making the single player games and ONLY make multi-player.

  mmaize

Novice Member

Joined: 7/23/09
Posts: 275

6/04/12 3:21:44 PM#89
Originally posted by Rophez
Originally posted by SEANMCAD
The problem I am having is less that about what they are not doing development wise my issue is the attitude. If someone feels they can not make a game like Darkfall or that there are some limitations to Darkfall in a given context then fine, man up and say what they are. Dont pretend like the game doesnt exist and hasnt already done what they are saying cant be done.

They are class A f8ck ups

Two things:

1 - No one has tried the combat in TESO yet.  It may actually be really fun and have some seriously revolutionary play.  Maybe not, but it might.

2 - Has Darkfall Online successfully had 200+ players in combat with no lag that interferes with their non-tab target combat?  I seriously don't know.  Do they have massive scale combat like that?

You know, I'd love to believe that tomorrow I'd wake up and suddenly we have world peace too.  But I think we're done with 'might'.  What has 'might' given us so far?  SWTOR?  Aion?  Rift?   I am personally sick of what "might" be.  While I know it's going to continue, this idea that everytime someone puts out a game with a title we all knew and loved as a single player game or popular fanchise, we all flock to it with our dollars in hand salivating at the chance to play it no matter how many people said there were problems or that the game had no substance or that it was doomed to fail.  It doesn't even matter how much proof is presented.  At the end of the day you're still going out there to buy it...because maybe...just maybe THIS one will be different...yet it never is.

I think it's time that rather than us having to prove to the game companies and devs what is wrong with  their concepts after handing them a ridiculous amount of money, that they prove to us first that their concepts and designs and work on a given game is worth our time, effort, and money to even bother investing in.  (all of which gets wasted in these previous cookie cutter MMOs..especially time which was invested for nothing..)

But of course that...much like "might"...is a pipe dream.  As long as their is money to be made these guys are going to continue to tow the party line that is WoW clone MMOs.

  PyrateLV

Tipster

Joined: 11/07/08
Posts: 1118

6/04/12 3:22:47 PM#90
Originally posted by BigCountry

I am going to use Ultima Online as the perfect example for taking a single player game and turning it into a mmorpg.

 

Origin took the single player game itself, the gameplay, the storyline, the mechanics, the engine, art work, and ported/morphed it into online play.

 

And this is why it was sucessful from the beginning. Because players loved the Ultima Series, they loved how it functioned, were familiar in how it worked. So when they got a hold of an online version, it blew them away!!

 

You cannot take a great single player game like TES series and totally revamp the gameplay/mechanics/physics etc into an online version. Something unfamilair to your exisiting player base.  It will not be an Elder Scrolls game then, at least not to its followers.

 

The creaters need to grow some balls and turn TES, LITERALLY, into a mmorpg, not changing anything but for the most part the ability for multiple players to coexist in the world. This will be what the players want. They want "Skyrim Online". And if you cannot deliver that from a technical perspective, do NOT clone WoW/GW2 with TES art/story line. That will be horrible. Anything less will be complete failure in my opinion...

The way I look at it is Zenimax is taking the ES series and stripping it down, using "what it can" and trying to fit it to the basic standard Themepark MMO model. When what they should be doing is taking a Hybrid MMO model and redesigning it to work with the ES series.

 

Its like taking a multi-sided peg (ES) and whittling it down to fit a round hole (Themepark MMO)

They should instead carve out, router and shape the hole to fit the peg

 

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
Playing: Skyrim
Following: The Repopulation
I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

  mmaize

Novice Member

Joined: 7/23/09
Posts: 275

6/04/12 3:23:50 PM#91
Originally posted by PyrateLV
Originally posted by BigCountry

I am going to use Ultima Online as the perfect example for taking a single player game and turning it into a mmorpg.

 

Origin took the single player game itself, the gameplay, the storyline, the mechanics, the engine, art work, and ported/morphed it into online play.

 

And this is why it was sucessful from the beginning. Because players loved the Ultima Series, they loved how it functioned, were familiar in how it worked. So when they got a hold of an online version, it blew them away!!

 

You cannot take a great single player game like TES series and totally revamp the gameplay/mechanics/physics etc into an online version. Something unfamilair to your exisiting player base.  It will not be an Elder Scrolls game then, at least not to its followers.

 

The creaters need to grow some balls and turn TES, LITERALLY, into a mmorpg, not changing anything but for the most part the ability for multiple players to coexist in the world. This will be what the players want. They want "Skyrim Online". And if you cannot deliver that from a technical perspective, do NOT clone WoW/GW2 with TES art/story line. That will be horrible. Anything less will be complete failure in my opinion...

The way I look at it is Zenimax is taking the ES series and stripping it down, using "what it can" and trying to fit it to the basic standard Themepark MMO model. When what they should be doing is taking a Hybrid MMO model and redesigning it to work with the ES series.

 

Its like taking a multi-sided peg (ES) and whittling it down to fit a round hole (Themepark MMO)

They should instead carve out, router and shape the hole to fit the peg

 


EXACTLY!!!

  Uhwop

Elite Member

Joined: 3/20/10
Posts: 1617

6/04/12 3:24:19 PM#92
Originally posted by Boraell
Originally posted by Uhwop
Originally posted by Boraell

I find it very amusing that because they say "its an MMO, it wont be like skyrim" all the haters somehow read that as them saying it will be a WoW clone, despite no mention of WoW anywhere... theres probably something freudian in there somewhere:P

 I find it amusing that there is a GI article in which those same guys make a comparison to features in ESO and WoW like a dozen times and still people like you insist on telling everyone it's not going to be anything like WoW.  Even though the devs have already said it will.

Actually no they havent, the reviewer is the only person who mentions WoW, I belive it is mentioned 3 times out of 15 pages. 'People like you' should try getting your facts staight instead of jumping straight in with the lynch mob.

 Obviously it was gross exageration on my part.

The fact remains, they did compare features of ESO to WoW directly.  The why they're going to handle story with phasing was directly compared to WoW, but that they feel they "figured out" were it went wrong in WoW.  Combat mechanics were directly compared to WoW in regard to movement.

And "traditional mmo player"?  I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks that's not another way of saying "the wow player" is willfully ignoring that 1) WoW is the market share and 2) damn near every mmo that releases plays exactly like WoW. 

They want the game to be familliar to people who come from WoW or games that play like WoW.  You can't deny that, they said it.

  Vannor

Hard Core Member

Joined: 8/11/03
Posts: 2979

6/04/12 3:28:59 PM#93

This game should, imo, blend GW2 with Neverwinter to hit the top. Dynamic events + user generated content (even if it is instanced) would/should be the way to go with an ES MMO. Sadly, that isn't going to happen.

  Lawlmonster

Apprentice Member

Joined: 10/07/09
Posts: 940

Take my advice, I'm not using it anyway.

6/04/12 4:06:18 PM#94
Originally posted by Sovrath
Originally posted by Lawlmonster
Originally posted by Sovrath
Originally posted by Lawlmonster

Yeah, this isn't news to me. The individual I know working for development on TES has been pretty unapologetic every time we've spoken about the project. I've posted more details regarding what I've heard from this person, and if you're interested you can find that post here:

 

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5024735#5024735

Well, here's one way to think about it:

Given what you said about expanding the universe it seems that they aren't interested in making "Skyrim Online" or "Morrowind Online" but instead want to reach out to themepark mmo players and offer a version of Elderscrolls specifically for their demographic.

Which actually makes sense.

They aren't saying "hey, there are all these Elderscrolls fans, let's make them an online game". They are saying "hey, there are all these mmo players, lets' bring them the Elderscrolls lore in a medium they are comfortable with.

Yeah, but the SRPG fans have been saying since Morrowind, "man, wouldn't it be fucking awesome if this game had a multiplayer function!" Who gives a shit about the themepark audience? OH WAIT! Production and development companies do, because they know these mouth breathers spend money on every piece of garbage that gets shoved out the god damn door! So, sure, alienate the customers who've stuck with your product, who've been dreaming of an enhanced version of the single player games, so you can make a quick buck. Good work.

yeah thats' a bit too cyncial for my taste.

I'm not really into insulting people for liking things that are not my taste. Sort of a habit I developed over the years.

In any case, Bethesda isn't making the game, and aren't interested in Multi-Player.

Zenimax wanted an mmo and probably thought that they own a rich IP that could be used.

I hate to say it but his is more about expanding their IP to different markets (so to speak).

A multi-player Morrowind was just never going to happen Becasue Bethesda really believes in their single player game. Quite frankly, kudos to them for sticking to their guns. However, as cynical as your post sounds there is a ring of truth to part of it. They know the mmo market is a huge market and for those companies that can pull it off, they can be financially successful.

They are no looking at it as alienating customers. If anyting they are thinking that the mmorpg demographic has different people than the single player game demographic and they want to reach out to them.

they way they would alienate their customers was to cease making the single player games and ONLY make multi-player.

That's weird, because I do feel alienated as a fan and as a customer, and there's really no combination of buzz words or excuses that are going to change that unless the direction of their design were to drastically alter (which we know won't happen). Personally, I don't care if Bethesda doesn't want to make multiplayer games. Their fans are, or were, obviously looking forward to seeing the Elder Scrolls touch meet the MMO genre, otherwise Zenimax wouldn't feel it necessary to make formal their lack of apology. They know they fucked up, people working on the game know they fucked up, and the fans of the single player series are quite aware that this isn't anything they wanted to see related to the Elder Scrolls in a multiplayer environment. So why not cut the bullshit? What do you think "expanding the market" means? A larger audience, more money, bottom lining. That's what this is all about, and it's costing the genre itself a massive opportunity.

 

Also, I apologize if my perception is taken as cynical, rather than passionate or upset. Albert Einstein once said that the definition of insanity is constant repetition of the same actions while expecting different results. Are people really being fulfilled after their seventh or eighth themepark manifestation, becoming just another box sale attached to games that are never planned to have any longevity? Isn't that entirely anithetical to what the genre is supposed to be about?

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

  Boraell

Advanced Member

Joined: 1/17/06
Posts: 76

6/04/12 4:07:41 PM#95
Originally posted by Uhwop
 

 Obviously it was gross exageration on my part.

The fact remains, they did compare features of ESO to WoW directly.  The why they're going to handle story with phasing was directly compared to WoW, but that they feel they "figured out" were it went wrong in WoW.  Combat mechanics were directly compared to WoW in regard to movement.

And "traditional mmo player"?  I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks that's not another way of saying "the wow player" is willfully ignoring that 1) WoW is the market share and 2) damn near every mmo that releases plays exactly like WoW. 

They want the game to be familliar to people who come from WoW or games that play like WoW.  You can't deny that, they said it.

I agree with your last point that they want the game to be familiar to people who come from WoW or WoW-like games (which you could argue includes every current 'AAA' release) but from a business point of view this makes sense. It is the biggest slice of the MMO market, however, to me a 'traditional mmo player' is someone who played UO or EQ, both of which I spent many years on and considering one of ESO's big selling points so far seems to be open world dungeons you could also argue its a EQ-clone.

Granted while the concept of open world dungeons raises some nostalgia I also wonder how they will handle the 'mine-mine-mine' attitude of a majority of so-called MMO players. Unfortunately I cant see your average WoW played honoring a camp check / kill que.

 

 

  Sovrath

Elite Member

Joined: 1/06/05
Posts: 17010

6/04/12 5:22:31 PM#96
Originally posted by Lawlmonster

Also, I apologize if my perception is taken as cynical, rather than passionate or upset. Albert Einstein once said that the definition of insanity is constant repetition of the same actions while expecting different results. Are people really being fulfilled after their seventh or eighth themepark manifestation, becoming just another box sale attached to games that are never planned to have any longevity? Isn't that entirely anithetical to what the genre is supposed to be about?

Well you certainly don't need to apologize to the likes of me.

But I'd like to address this last part. Maybe a bit of the other stuff.

I think it's specious thinking to assume that people are moving from one "identical" themepark to another and even if they are moving from one "themepark" to another it's sort of wrong to assume the reasons are similiar.

Case in point, I played LOTRO in earnest and always had a level capped character with good gear. Some call LOTRO a WoW clone. However, if it was a clone then I would have preferred the "original" and played wow in earnest. Especially since wow has a huge studio, lots of content and money for more content, yearly events, etc. But I never could get a character beyond the 30's. Just didnt like the setting enough. LOTRO I could.

And though my tastes run more along the lines of Lineage 2 (though I suspect I would have liked EQ as well) I have played just about every mmo out there. Not seriously but each one has offered something different within the form and function of the standard mmo formula.

Also, since I'm a firm believer in being responsible for my own "fun" I don't show up in these games saying "ok, now prove to me that you're worth my time". I play them until they are no longer enjoyable or where I feel I'm finished and move on. I would prefer to stay in one game and not leave but developers always seem to steer them places that I dislike. I think other players move from one game to another because they offer enough that is different. Regardless of form and function.

As far as Bethesda and fans feeling disenfranchised, I'm afraid I just can't mirror your passionte ire. My thought is that, especially in a business where the raison d'être is to make money, if they want to stick to their guns and only make games they want to make then that's what they should do.

I personally don't care what fans think, myself included, when it comes to people leveraging a certain level of artistry in what they do. I have more respect for people who are not swayed by the masses or whatever pressures that exist and do what they think is right. Even if I myself clamor for something different.

And yes, Zenimax is wanting to make more money. They are a game company and they make games. If they dont' make money they dont' exist. I think we are lucky they do have some good titles (with obvious flaws of course) where game players can find a home. Even if for a small bit.

I just don't believe in the "they owe it to us" idea. They owe us a good game when we pay for it. If we want to start thinking of games to be an art form then perhaps we need to allow the idea that not all games are going to be what we want. Whether that's the game or even, (puts on flame retardant suit) an ending that we want.

  Bladestrom

Hard Core Member

Joined: 4/04/11
Posts: 3128

6/04/12 5:49:50 PM#97
Originally posted by Sovrath
Originally posted by Lawlmonster

Also, I apologize if my perception is taken as cynical, rather than passionate or upset. Albert Einstein once said that the definition of insanity is constant repetition of the same actions while expecting different results. Are people really being fulfilled after their seventh or eighth themepark manifestation, becoming just another box sale attached to games that are never planned to have any longevity? Isn't that entirely anithetical to what the genre is supposed to be about?

Well you certainly don't need to apologize to the likes of me.

But I'd like to address this last part. Maybe a bit of the other stuff.

I think it's specious thinking to assume that people are moving from one "identical" themepark to another and even if they are moving from one "themepark" to another it's sort of wrong to assume the reasons are similiar.

Case in point, I played LOTRO in earnest and always had a level capped character with good gear. Some call LOTRO a WoW clone. However, if it was a clone then I would have preferred the "original" and played wow in earnest. Especially since wow has a huge studio, lots of content and money for more content, yearly events, etc. But I never could get a character beyond the 30's. Just didnt like the setting enough. LOTRO I could.

And though my tastes run more along the lines of Lineage 2 (though I suspect I would have liked EQ as well) I have played just about every mmo out there. Not seriously but each one has offered something different within the form and function of the standard mmo formula.

Also, since I'm a firm believer in being responsible for my own "fun" I don't show up in these games saying "ok, now prove to me that you're worth my time". I play them until they are no longer enjoyable or where I feel I'm finished and move on. I would prefer to stay in one game and not leave but developers always seem to steer them places that I dislike. I think other players move from one game to another because they offer enough that is different. Regardless of form and function.

As far as Bethesda and fans feeling disenfranchised, I'm afraid I just can't mirror your passionte ire. My thought is that, especially in a business where the raison d'être is to make money, if they want to stick to their guns and only make games they want to make then that's what they should do.

I personally don't care what fans think, myself included, when it comes to people leveraging a certain level of artistry in what they do. I have more respect for people who are not swayed by the masses or whatever pressures that exist and do what they think is right. Even if I myself clamor for something different.

And yes, Zenimax is wanting to make more money. They are a game company and they make games. If they dont' make money they dont' exist. I think we are lucky they do have some good titles (with obvious flaws of course) where game players can find a home. Even if for a small bit.

I just don't believe in the "they owe it to us" idea. They owe us a good game when we pay for it. If we want to start thinking of games to be an art form then perhaps we need to allow the idea that not all games are going to be what we want. Whether that's the game or even, (puts on flame retardant suit) an ending that we want.

agree, but lets be honest, what we all want is to experience the best of morrowind/oblivion and skyrim online.  What these games have  represented to us is the cutting edge of roleplaying,sandbox,atmosphere and a feelling of depth and history.  At the moment what has been shown is just not that, and experience shows that the development team are not going to drop everything and recognise the IP. 

Imagine WOW with serious gritty graphics, or SWTOR with no Jedi.  If you want to use a brand then you dont change the brand, Otherwise why bother - you would be as well calling it 'generic out of date MMO with elder scrolls lore' 

 

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW (1000 hrs on main mage)> oblivion > LOTR (480 Hunter) > Rift (230 hours mage) > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(900 elementalist)

Now playing Wildstar, AOW 3

  Sovrath

Elite Member

Joined: 1/06/05
Posts: 17010

6/04/12 8:39:36 PM#98
Originally posted by Bladestrom
 

agree, but lets be honest, what we all want is to experience the best of morrowind/oblivion and skyrim online.  What these games have  represented to us is the cutting edge of roleplaying,sandbox,atmosphere and a feelling of depth and history.  At the moment what has been shown is just not that, and experience shows that the development team are not going to drop everything and recognise the IP. 

Imagine WOW with serious gritty graphics, or SWTOR with no Jedi.  If you want to use a brand then you dont change the brand, Otherwise why bother - you would be as well calling it 'generic out of date MMO with elder scrolls lore' 

 

well if you are askign what I want then YES to all of that.

But I suppose the point is that this one is not for us.

It's elder scrolls for mmo players. Well, mmo players who aren't elderscrolls players.

  User Deleted
6/04/12 8:45:56 PM#99

For what its worth, I am excited about this title and I will be a pre-order.

Until then, I will be playing SW -- GW2 holds zero intrest for me (Not that its a bad game in any way, just not for me.)

  Fearum

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/15/11
Posts: 1089

6/04/12 9:17:21 PM#100

I can't wait to see where they go with the Crafting and PvP.

Why should Zenimax, a subdivision of a Bethesda, apoligize to anyone when they havent released the game yet?

Have you been on the kiddie console gamers forum at bethesda? Im glad that most of them arent going to be in the game anyway.

Why do I find ES single player games so boring? Mostly everyone does thats why they mod them to no end.

What is in McDonalds Meat? Gives me this shits so I stay away from it.

Why do people over the age of 12 use the word Epic? Really annoying.

Do they know that they sound like asshats?

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search