Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic | World of Warcraft | WildStar

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,645,180 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,079,394
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Deco Online Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Everquest Next: Landmark Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings and Legends KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Lands of Hope: Phoenix Edition LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Project Blackout Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Puzzle Pirates Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Realm Fighter Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian Space Heroes Universe Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Hammers End The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Total Domination Transformers Universe Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

Elder Scrolls Online

Elder Scrolls Online 

General Discussion  » No player housing? Why not?

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search
132 posts found
  lizardbones

Elite Member

Joined: 6/11/08
Posts: 9974

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

6/11/12 10:44:41 AM#101


Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Originally posted by lizardbones  

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Originally posted by lizardbones  


If they don't plan on doing housing and never will, then saying it's impossible is the way to go. They can't tell people to just shut up about it already, so they just say it can't happen. This thread is the reason why. People are still whining about it in WoW. The theme parkiest theme park that ever theme parked and people are still whining about housing. It also might be impossible for non-technical reasons. The investor's said, "No, because games with housing don't sell well." That would make it impossible. If the investors pull funding, the game disappears. So it's impossible.  
not even close.   option 1: lie in a way that makes them sound like they dont have a clue what they are doing option 2: say 'we do not have player housing' peroid no extra information. its not like they are not getting backlash now for making a moronic statement that anyone who has played an MMO longer than 6 months would see right thru. understand what they said is similar to a plummer saying 'we are not using copper pipes because water can not flow thru them'. there are TONS of better asnwers, even better lies. randing from 'we are not using copper pipes' to 'we are not using copper pipes and we cant get into the specifics of why' to 'other materials are better'
Have analogies ever helped on these forums? It never helps. It just turns into a discussion about the analogy and what would be a better analogy. Saying the same thing in a different way doesn't add any additional information. Look, we know it's not technically impossible to add housing to any MMORPG, even after it's been in development for 5 years. There is a scenario where it is impossible to do well or as the players want it. It's not an open world game, so adding open world housing is not technically possible. The engine won't support it. Rewriting the engine is not possible if the game is actually supposed to release and not go bankrupt. They could add instanced housing, but would players actually want it? Enough players to make it worth doing? If the answer is no, then it's not possible to add housing in a way that players want. The less reasonable explanation, but the one that gets my vote, is that players are irrational, and if you tell them something reasonable, they just ignore it and continue to whine on internet forums forever. Being reasonable has never worked in any game, ever, so go the extreme, irrational route. "Housing in this game is impossible the way players want it". Don't give any additional information for them to nitpick, don't give them any points to argue about, just tell them it's impossible and then ignore every other attempt to bring it up.  
1. analogies  are used when people fail to understand the main point. Its a way of helping.

2. It is technically reasonable possible with what you and I both know about the game engine and you know that.

3. what they should have said is 'we will not have player housing' adding 'like players want it' does nothing but make them look like they havent a clue what they are doing.

 




1. You're assuming that I don't understand your point of view, which I don't think is the case. I think your point of view is nitpicking.

2. I don't know anything of the kind. If they didn't write in the capability of adding structures to the world, based on player input, then it's not possible to add open world housing. It may not be possible to add any dynamic content to the world. Rewriting the engine to add such dynamic content is not going to be cheap. Changing anything about how the base engine works is not going to be cheap, especially after 5 years of development time. There are a couple people on these forums who are actually writing games and MMORPG, so they could comment better than I, but that change does not seem to be a trivial change.

3. If they consider housing impossible for any reason, it's better to say it now, rather than waffle about it for years and years. It doesn't matter why they think it's impossible to do right. Not enough players would like the implementation, too many players decorate their homes instead of doing three way PvP, whatever. There's no point in giving any additional information because players would just pick it apart and obsess over it for years. They can know this because it happens every single time housing is brought up in any game where developers make a statement on housing that isn't, "Yes, we're adding housing."

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

  SEANMCAD

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 3/22/09
Posts: 3694

6/11/12 10:51:26 AM#102
Originally posted by lizardbones

 


Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Originally posted by lizardbones  

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Originally posted by lizardbones  


If they don't plan on doing housing and never will, then saying it's impossible is the way to go. They can't tell people to just shut up about it already, so they just say it can't happen. This thread is the reason why. People are still whining about it in WoW. The theme parkiest theme park that ever theme parked and people are still whining about housing. It also might be impossible for non-technical reasons. The investor's said, "No, because games with housing don't sell well." That would make it impossible. If the investors pull funding, the game disappears. So it's impossible.  
not even close.   option 1: lie in a way that makes them sound like they dont have a clue what they are doing option 2: say 'we do not have player housing' peroid no extra information. its not like they are not getting backlash now for making a moronic statement that anyone who has played an MMO longer than 6 months would see right thru. understand what they said is similar to a plummer saying 'we are not using copper pipes because water can not flow thru them'. there are TONS of better asnwers, even better lies. randing from 'we are not using copper pipes' to 'we are not using copper pipes and we cant get into the specifics of why' to 'other materials are better'
Have analogies ever helped on these forums? It never helps. It just turns into a discussion about the analogy and what would be a better analogy. Saying the same thing in a different way doesn't add any additional information. Look, we know it's not technically impossible to add housing to any MMORPG, even after it's been in development for 5 years. There is a scenario where it is impossible to do well or as the players want it. It's not an open world game, so adding open world housing is not technically possible. The engine won't support it. Rewriting the engine is not possible if the game is actually supposed to release and not go bankrupt. They could add instanced housing, but would players actually want it? Enough players to make it worth doing? If the answer is no, then it's not possible to add housing in a way that players want. The less reasonable explanation, but the one that gets my vote, is that players are irrational, and if you tell them something reasonable, they just ignore it and continue to whine on internet forums forever. Being reasonable has never worked in any game, ever, so go the extreme, irrational route. "Housing in this game is impossible the way players want it". Don't give any additional information for them to nitpick, don't give them any points to argue about, just tell them it's impossible and then ignore every other attempt to bring it up.  
1. analogies  are used when people fail to understand the main point. Its a way of helping.

 

2. It is technically reasonable possible with what you and I both know about the game engine and you know that.

3. what they should have said is 'we will not have player housing' adding 'like players want it' does nothing but make them look like they havent a clue what they are doing.

 




1. You're assuming that I don't understand your point of view, which I don't think is the case. I think your point of view is nitpicking.

2. I don't know anything of the kind. If they didn't write in the capability of adding structures to the world, based on player input, then it's not possible to add open world housing. It may not be possible to add any dynamic content to the world. Rewriting the engine to add such dynamic content is not going to be cheap. Changing anything about how the base engine works is not going to be cheap, especially after 5 years of development time. There are a couple people on these forums who are actually writing games and MMORPG, so they could comment better than I, but that change does not seem to be a trivial change.

3. If they consider housing impossible for any reason, it's better to say it now, rather than waffle about it for years and years. It doesn't matter why they think it's impossible to do right. Not enough players would like the implementation, too many players decorate their homes instead of doing three way PvP, whatever. There's no point in giving any additional information because players would just pick it apart and obsess over it for years. They can know this because it happens every single time housing is brought up in any game where developers make a statement on housing that isn't, "Yes, we're adding housing."

 

I will just address the last part. The second one kind of suggests that you know something about the existing game engine that you actually dont. It also implies you understand their meaning of 'how players want' which for this player is pretty much just Darkfall Housing.

If they felt like they needed to explain why then they need to understand their audience. Their lack of understanding is extreemly clear in thier response. There is a ton of differen answers they could have given that would have been honest, more generall specific and at the same time not making them look moronic.

In other words they could have said 'player housing is not possible because of this....' oh and 'what players want' who the f8ck do they think they are?

does your game have rainbow sprinkles and magic ponies!?

  PyrateLV

Tipster

Joined: 11/07/08
Posts: 1106

6/11/12 10:52:25 AM#103
Originally posted by Thorbrand

I would say because housing doesn't add anything to the gameplay or the game world including RP side. It is a waste of time and rescources.

Your opinion. Not a fact

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
Playing: Skyrim
Following: The Repopulation
I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

  lizardbones

Elite Member

Joined: 6/11/08
Posts: 9974

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

6/11/12 11:35:24 AM#104


Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Originally posted by lizardbones  

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Originally posted by lizardbones  

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Originally posted by lizardbones  


If they don't plan on doing housing and never will, then saying it's impossible is the way to go. They can't tell people to just shut up about it already, so they just say it can't happen. This thread is the reason why. People are still whining about it in WoW. The theme parkiest theme park that ever theme parked and people are still whining about housing. It also might be impossible for non-technical reasons. The investor's said, "No, because games with housing don't sell well." That would make it impossible. If the investors pull funding, the game disappears. So it's impossible.  
not even close.   option 1: lie in a way that makes them sound like they dont have a clue what they are doing option 2: say 'we do not have player housing' peroid no extra information. its not like they are not getting backlash now for making a moronic statement that anyone who has played an MMO longer than 6 months would see right thru. understand what they said is similar to a plummer saying 'we are not using copper pipes because water can not flow thru them'. there are TONS of better asnwers, even better lies. randing from 'we are not using copper pipes' to 'we are not using copper pipes and we cant get into the specifics of why' to 'other materials are better'
Have analogies ever helped on these forums? It never helps. It just turns into a discussion about the analogy and what would be a better analogy. Saying the same thing in a different way doesn't add any additional information. Look, we know it's not technically impossible to add housing to any MMORPG, even after it's been in development for 5 years. There is a scenario where it is impossible to do well or as the players want it. It's not an open world game, so adding open world housing is not technically possible. The engine won't support it. Rewriting the engine is not possible if the game is actually supposed to release and not go bankrupt. They could add instanced housing, but would players actually want it? Enough players to make it worth doing? If the answer is no, then it's not possible to add housing in a way that players want. The less reasonable explanation, but the one that gets my vote, is that players are irrational, and if you tell them something reasonable, they just ignore it and continue to whine on internet forums forever. Being reasonable has never worked in any game, ever, so go the extreme, irrational route. "Housing in this game is impossible the way players want it". Don't give any additional information for them to nitpick, don't give them any points to argue about, just tell them it's impossible and then ignore every other attempt to bring it up.  
1. analogies  are used when people fail to understand the main point. Its a way of helping.   2. It is technically reasonable possible with what you and I both know about the game engine and you know that. 3. what they should have said is 'we will not have player housing' adding 'like players want it' does nothing but make them look like they havent a clue what they are doing.  
1. You're assuming that I don't understand your point of view, which I don't think is the case. I think your point of view is nitpicking. 2. I don't know anything of the kind. If they didn't write in the capability of adding structures to the world, based on player input, then it's not possible to add open world housing. It may not be possible to add any dynamic content to the world. Rewriting the engine to add such dynamic content is not going to be cheap. Changing anything about how the base engine works is not going to be cheap, especially after 5 years of development time. There are a couple people on these forums who are actually writing games and MMORPG, so they could comment better than I, but that change does not seem to be a trivial change. 3. If they consider housing impossible for any reason, it's better to say it now, rather than waffle about it for years and years. It doesn't matter why they think it's impossible to do right. Not enough players would like the implementation, too many players decorate their homes instead of doing three way PvP, whatever. There's no point in giving any additional information because players would just pick it apart and obsess over it for years. They can know this because it happens every single time housing is brought up in any game where developers make a statement on housing that isn't, "Yes, we're adding housing."  
I will just address the last part. The second one kind of suggests that you know something about the existing game engine that you actually dont. It also implies you understand their meaning of 'how players want' which for this player is pretty much just Darkfall Housing.

If they felt like they needed to explain why then they need to understand their audience. Their lack of understanding is extreemly clear in thier response. There is a ton of differen answers they could have given that would have been honest, more generall specific and at the same time not making them look moronic.

In other words they could have said 'player housing is not possible because of this....' oh and 'what players want' who the f8ck do they think they are?




First you say I know something about the game engine...that's is reasonably possible to add housing. Then you say I don't know anything about the game engine. Which one is it? Do I know specific things about their game engine? No, of course not. That would mean I was part of the development team, and I wouldn't be posting here. I do know things about game engines in general and I know a lot about developing applications. If they aren't touting housing as a feature, it means the game engine won't do it, which means it will need to be added. What is the very first technology demo shown for games and game engines? It's the world itself. No players, no NPCs, just the terrain and the objects in the world. That is the base of the entire game. Everything you see depends on it, and if they have to rewrite the engine to add something that it doesn't currently do, the entire thing needs to be at least be tested. That is a lot of man hours. It's not going to be free. MMORPG rival the complexity of operating systems, without doing half as many things. It's not going to be cheap or easy to modify a fundamental aspect of the game.

They didn't tell anyone why it's not possible because then thousands of players would nitpick the cr@p out of it. People would come up with reason after reason why it is possible and why they should do it. That's what happens. That's what always happens. If players acted like reasonable people, then they could tell them why they're doing stuff, but mostly players don't care. They just want whatever it is they want and they'll argue for-freaking-ever to get it. It's a no-win situation. Better to give as little information as possible and then totally ignore any further mention of it.

As far as knowing what players want, that's debatable. They have their reasons, and they might be based on some sort of reality, or some sort of fantasy. Whether it's reality or fantasy one thing is absolutely for sure. Players will nitpick the cr@p out of the reasons. I don't know if they have legitimate reasons, but I don't really blame them for not filling in the details.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

  SEANMCAD

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 3/22/09
Posts: 3694

6/11/12 11:38:14 AM#105
Originally posted by lizardbones

 




If they First you say I know something about the game engine...that's is reasonably possible to add housing. Then you say I don't know anything about the game engine. Which one is it? Do I know specific things about their game engine? No, of course not. That would mean I was part of the development team, and I wouldn't be posting here. I do know things about game engines in general and I know a lot about developing applications. If they aren't touting housing as a feature, it means the game engine won't do it, which means it will need to be added. What is the very first technology demo shown for games and game engines? It's the world itself. No players, no NPCs, just the terrain and the objects in the world. That is the base of the entire game. Everything you see depends on it, and if they have to rewrite the engine to add something that it doesn't currently do, the entire thing needs to be at least be tested. That is a lot of man hours. It's not going to be free. MMORPG rival the complexity of operating systems, without doing half as many things. It's not going to be cheap or easy to modify a fundamental aspect of the game.

They didn't tell anyone why it's not possible because then thousands of players would nitpick the cr@p out of it. People would come up with reason after reason why it is possible and why they should do it. That's what happens. That's what always happens. If players acted like reasonable people, then they could tell them why they're doing stuff, but mostly players don't care. They just want whatever it is they want and they'll argue for-freaking-ever to get it. It's a no-win situation. Better to give as little information as possible and then totally ignore any further mention of it.

As far as knowing what players want, that's debatable. They have their reasons, and they might be based on some sort of reality, or some sort of fantasy. Whether it's reality or fantasy one thing is absolutely for sure. Players will nitpick the cr@p out of the reasons. I don't know if they have legitimate reasons, but I don't really blame them for not filling in the details.

 

 

 they didnt say 'player housing is not possible because of the game engine', you however did. did you not?

does your game have rainbow sprinkles and magic ponies!?

  ShadowedMare

Novice Member

Joined: 7/10/12
Posts: 28

7/10/12 10:16:45 PM#106

Player housing is usually a mess, I've never seen it work out all that well - maybe in EQ2. Anyways, this thread got me thinking, what if they added in instanced neighborhoods? This way players could live where ever they wanted, if two players picked the exact same house the system would just generate a separate neighborhood, 

The Shadowed Mare - A Tavern North of Caldera and an Elder Scrolls Online Fansite and Forums.

  SEANMCAD

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 3/22/09
Posts: 3694

7/11/12 10:25:35 AM#107
Originally posted by ShadowedMare

Player housing is usually a mess, I've never seen it work out all that well - maybe in EQ2. Anyways, this thread got me thinking, what if they added in instanced neighborhoods? This way players could live where ever they wanted, if two players picked the exact same house the system would just generate a separate neighborhood, 

EQ2 housing is a joke. They went out of their way to design a system that is completely useless and disconnected from the rest of the game play as possible. Its almost like they designed it on purpose to turn people off to housing.

 

 

does your game have rainbow sprinkles and magic ponies!?

  Fearum

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/15/11
Posts: 1058

7/11/12 2:11:28 PM#108
Originally posted by SEANMCAD
Originally posted by ShadowedMare

Player housing is usually a mess, I've never seen it work out all that well - maybe in EQ2. Anyways, this thread got me thinking, what if they added in instanced neighborhoods? This way players could live where ever they wanted, if two players picked the exact same house the system would just generate a separate neighborhood, 

EQ2 housing is a joke. They went out of their way to design a system that is completely useless and disconnected from the rest of the game play as possible. Its almost like they designed it on purpose to turn people off to housing.

 

 

They are not focusing on player housing yet, they are making the game first. I feel that housing should not be a forced issue in a game. I personaly don't really care about housing unless the game some how makes it a reward or some kind of incentive to actually take the time to have one. They are like little pets, I don't see anyone saying that if they don't have a little useless pet the game is failz. Its not a make or break deal for me and the lack of housing in alot of games shows that most of the community is in the same boat.

I played LOTR and went into the housing area once, and thought it was a horrible Idea. There were no other people in there having house parties or anything.

  SEANMCAD

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 3/22/09
Posts: 3694

7/12/12 1:55:11 PM#109
Originally posted by Fearum
Originally posted by SEANMCAD
Originally posted by ShadowedMare

Player housing is usually a mess, I've never seen it work out all that well - maybe in EQ2. Anyways, this thread got me thinking, what if they added in instanced neighborhoods? This way players could live where ever they wanted, if two players picked the exact same house the system would just generate a separate neighborhood, 

EQ2 housing is a joke. They went out of their way to design a system that is completely useless and disconnected from the rest of the game play as possible. Its almost like they designed it on purpose to turn people off to housing.

 

 

They are not focusing on player housing yet, they are making the game first. I feel that housing should not be a forced issue in a game. I personaly don't really care about housing unless the game some how makes it a reward or some kind of incentive to actually take the time to have one. They are like little pets, I don't see anyone saying that if they don't have a little useless pet the game is failz. Its not a make or break deal for me and the lack of housing in alot of games shows that most of the community is in the same boat.

I played LOTR and went into the housing area once, and thought it was a horrible Idea. There were no other people in there having house parties or anything.

I dont understand why people keep saying things the developer did say and not holding what they actually said to account. Instead fans of this load of crap are making up better excuses then the developers did themselves which should be a huge warning sign.

They did NOT say:

'we might do it later'

they DID say

'its not possible as players want it'

 

two RADICALLY different statements

does your game have rainbow sprinkles and magic ponies!?

  ZigZags

Apprentice Member

Joined: 9/23/10
Posts: 334

7/13/12 1:48:50 AM#110

I propose a system like FFXI but where you can customize the interior to a great extent and invite friends/guildies/guildhall that way houses and guildhalls dont clutter the world but you have a private and safe place to train/store treasure/rest etc

 

Now: Skyrim
Later: ?
Played: M59, UO, EQ, Runescape, DAOC, SB, EQ2, WoW, EVE, Darkfall, AoC, FFXI, FFXIV, WAR, SWTOR
BOYCOTTING: EA/BioWare/Origin/SOE

  Istavaan

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/25/12
Posts: 1398

7/19/12 7:55:34 AM#111

'player housing is not possible as players want it'.. This statement says to me that the game world will be very restrictive and linear and therefor housing would be hard to apply to the game world. There really aren't any creative people in the mmo industry, its just full of greed and lies.

  Istavaan

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/25/12
Posts: 1398

7/19/12 7:59:08 AM#112

"We have people that have been around for successful MMOs and people that have worked on failed MMOs. It is very important to have people around that saw a game go bad so we can see that life lesson"  Matt Frior

That just made me laugh. They don't seem to be learning any lessons.

  SEANMCAD

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 3/22/09
Posts: 3694

7/19/12 8:06:33 AM#113
Originally posted by Istavaan

'player housing is not possible as players want it'.. This statement says to me that the game world will be very restrictive and linear and therefor housing would be hard to apply to the game world. There really aren't any creative people in the mmo industry, its just full of greed and lies.

agreed, its really the only sentence needed to know its going to be a cluster f8cked game.

it might be a success but then again, so was American Idol so success and good are not the same.

does your game have rainbow sprinkles and magic ponies!?

  eve_vets

Apprentice Member

Joined: 9/06/12
Posts: 9

10/02/12 4:59:49 PM#114

I just read a art with the old daoc Frior something sorry Im a old mmo player my memory isnt what it it use to be so..

well somehow it was a missconception they didnt say no to housing  but they consider they wanted to wait

Well If they wanna wait to introduce housing I can wait paying any cash also

No player housing no cash from me so simple as that.

  Sevenstar61

Hard Core Member

Joined: 7/22/12
Posts: 1421

"But it was so artistically done..." - Grand Admiral Thrawn's final words

10/02/12 5:04:19 PM#115

Housing is not my top 10 priorities. I had 6 houses in EQ2 and spend there maybe 1 minute a month, mostly to get to my portals. Guild house on other side - much higher priority then housing in my opinion.

So housing is not going to be a subscribe or not subscribe factor for me in any MMO.


Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

  eve_vets

Apprentice Member

Joined: 9/06/12
Posts: 9

10/03/12 10:12:52 PM#116

Player owned housing gives the mmorpg game more loyal customers  

Those games that have a working  housing world live longer then other  mmorpgs

If yo analyze what mmorpg gamers wants to do its not what they say its what the do.

 

Alot of them say I want pvp fast action    those games die hard and fast the playerbase leave those games faster then

they change condoms ...

 

  Sevenstar61

Hard Core Member

Joined: 7/22/12
Posts: 1421

"But it was so artistically done..." - Grand Admiral Thrawn's final words

10/03/12 10:25:23 PM#117
Originally posted by eve_vets

Player owned housing gives the mmorpg game more loyal customers  

Those games that have a working  housing world live longer then other  mmorpgs

If yo analyze what mmorpg gamers wants to do its not what they say its what the do.

 

Alot of them say I want pvp fast action    those games die hard and fast the playerbase leave those games faster then

they change condoms ...

 

That's how it is right now... no matter if game has housing or not. Players are moving from game to game as soon as they get to max level or even before.  Reality.


Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

  MercArcher

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/17/04
Posts: 59

10/11/12 12:42:25 PM#118

I personally am GLAD that there is no player housing. Player housing is a large development undertaking for such a small impact on the game. Wasting large amounts of devlopment time for a feature that is only requested by a very small minority, and has little to no impact on gameplay isn't a good idea. I would rather they focus on the actual gameplay elements and polishing those. If you want to play a bad version of the sims, then I suggest you just go play the sims.

 

There is also the fact that it decentralized where people go to idle at end game making the cities look more empty and the servers appear to be more dead than they actually are.

 

Player housing is a lose-lose for everyone in virtuall every aspect.

  Entinerint

Hard Core Member

Joined: 5/06/12
Posts: 660

10/11/12 2:25:40 PM#119
Originally posted by MercArcher

I personally am GLAD that there is no player housing. Player housing is a large development undertaking for such a small impact on the game. Wasting large amounts of devlopment time for a feature that is only requested by a very small minority, and has little to no impact on gameplay isn't a good idea. I would rather they focus on the actual gameplay elements and polishing those. If you want to play a bad version of the sims, then I suggest you just go play the sims.

 

There is also the fact that it decentralized where people go to idle at end game making the cities look more empty and the servers appear to be more dead than they actually are.

 

Player housing is a lose-lose for everyone in virtuall every aspect.

Yeah man, more options are terrible.  Making the game feel like a liveable world?  Blech!  No thank you!

/sarcasm

This game has 250 people on its team.  If they can't do some form of housing they are just be lazy.

  thecapitaine

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/06/11
Posts: 317

10/11/12 3:06:13 PM#120
Housing in an Elder Scrolls game is no more fluff than any of its other peripheral systems like crafting, enchanting, 100s of lore books, or weird npcs that offer no quests.  Some people may not care about interacting with these things during playtime but they nonetheless go a long way to giving the series its soul.  While I appreciate Zeni jumping into a new genre with its own constraints, if the target audience is fans of the series then not including housing is a serious misstep.  One that only makes me question further just what sort of game they're trying to make and just who will bother playing it on release.
7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search