|1 posts found|
OP 5/12/12 12:12:12 PM#1
If any of you know me on my forum posts, you know I've blasted STO quite a bit. I was there for the first 3, maybe 4 months when it came out. I rolled a Fed toon first, naturally, but as soon as I was able, I made a KDF toon and stuck with it for most parts. Sure, I switched to Fed at times, but the heart of my gaming at the time was PvP, PvP, and more PvP, mostly as a Klingon. I left STO on some seriously bad terms and numerous reasons.
So... Recently I've been playing MMORPGs again, and nothing's really been sticking. I recalled STO and I decided to give it a whirl. It's been I think 2 years since I played, and it was a pain in the rear to retrieve my account info (moved around, etc.).
So I got back onto my old characters and started fooling around, brushing the cobwebs off and getting into PvP and whatnot. Some feelings and observations.
* When I left, I recall the Feds complaining about and demanding Cloaks and a Carrier. On the Launcher, there's now an ad for a Fed Kaitian Carrier (people calling it the "Kitty" Carrier). Disappointed that Cryptic decided to blur the division between how Fed and KDF ships play by giving the Feds once unique aspects of the KDF. They're starting to get some Universal stations also for Bridge Officers.
* Jumping between my Fed & KDF characters, the population imbalance between the Feds and KDF is still heavily slanted towards the Feds. From what I observed in PvP qeues, this can mean alot of long wait times for Feds.
* Lots of questing added. More noticeable for the KDF since there was almost nothing at all for the KDF when I left.
* I know F2P is one of the possible business models, but it alarms me how much the game leans towards the C-Store. Almost every menu or gameplay element has something that you can get help with in the C-Store.
* Some new ships. Not to fond of some of their looks, but I do appreciate the inclusion of Star Trek TV / movie canon ships, or the inclusion of later tier versions of a few lower tier ships.
* A suggestion I made before leaving was for a way to upgrade a lower tier ship's equipment and bridge officer slots. That way you can keep playing a ship class that you love as you get higher levels. After all, Capt. Kirk stuck with the same class of ship his entire career as a ship's captain. For example, paying to upgrade your Tier 2 cruiser for it to be useful at Tier 3, and Tier 4 should you want to keep going. Think of it as "Refitting," but I also said that the refitted ship should not be quite at the same level of power as a new design. Just enough for someone to be able to play his ship and still enjoy the experience at higher levels. One should be attached to their ship... like the crews did with their respective ships on the movies and TV shows.
* Bird of Prey wings move up and down when in combat or not. I remember suggesting this long ago on the boards, and it brought a smile to my face when a BOP wings moved into attack position.
* One of the suggestions I made before leaving STO was giving textures to allow a more traditional green tone to Klingon warships. Cryptic enabled extra Materials so a player can customize the ship with a more overall green look. I wish it was more solid in its tones, but it's alot better than a bunch of gray BoPs and such. This isn't the TOS/TMP timeframe anymore.
* The KDF still seems to be stuck in 2 sector blocks compared to the Feds who have 2-3 times as much sector blocks to adventure in. Disappointed that this hasn't been fixed after 2 years of my departure.
* Speaking of factions, I remember one of the wild dreams on the o-boards was new factions: Romulans or maybe even the Dominion. Cryptic still hasn't made the KDF enticing enough to get a larger playerbase, so it didn't surprised me that there isn't even a hint of playable Romulan or Dominion faction yet. If Cryptic can't make the overall game experience equal between the KDF and Feds, then there's no chance of a new playable faction. Not unless you want to see the new faction in a skeleton, barebones, depressed state like the KDF was when STO came out. I was really hoping to see playable Romulan and Jem'Hadar races and warships, but I knew that was really wishful thinking while I was d/l'ing the game.
* PvP - Still disappointing that PvP is still generally stuck to like 2 instanced maps.
* PvP - I know I've been gone a long time, but didn't PvP used to have larger numbers of players per side? Right now in space, the largest is like 4vs4. I could've sworn there used to be 6 or 8vs8. There was alot more players zooming around before. Space PvP was a big blazing furball and series of explosions.
* They remodeled Starfleet's dockyard and Qo'Nos, esp Qo'Nos which the building has been retitled as First City.
* One each from my Fed and KDF toons were max rank when I left. Seems there's more ranks now and 6 new levels added for Tier 5.
* Same general rules still applies for abilities and stats, from what I quickly gathered, and I'm doing alright with that old experience in PvP. The redone UI / info boxes / character skill layouts are throwing me off right now, but I'll get it soon.
That's it for the time being. We'll see if the game can hold me, but it's changed quite a bit since I left.
"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)