Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | World of Warcraft | Swordsman

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,658 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,175,269
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Deco Online Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Phoenix Edition LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Project Blackout Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Puzzle Pirates Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Hammers End The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Total Domination Transformers Universe Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

Guild Wars 2

Guild Wars 2 

Beta Weekend Event Reviews & Impressions (Archived)  » GW2 is the revolution casuals and soloers have waited for.

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search
136 posts found
  Djildjamesh

Novice Member

Joined: 12/09/11
Posts: 403

5/07/12 5:12:39 PM#81
Originally posted by Xzen
I found it almost impossible to solo. Every time I tried to do a quest there were a bunch of people there helping me and there was nothing I could do about it. I couldn't play solo if I wanted to.

hahahaha

THIS ... everytime i was liek. Let's see if i can kill this rare/elite/bosstype thing ... 10% down  like OVER 9000 PEOPLE started helping -_- ... MEH!

othere then not being able to test my skill, i like playing with others

  emiliorf2

Novice Member

Joined: 5/06/12
Posts: 2

5/07/12 8:00:47 PM#82

True indeed. Though I had a hard time moving away from the computer during beta. I loved how I always felt I was acomplishing something every short time investment I did. Was it a skill challenge, an event, a gathering, everything added a bit of experience and was extremely fun to do so. I was dying to get Diablo 3, and now that it is a week away I care less, because after GW2 I only have mind for it

  antiherozero

Novice Member

Joined: 3/04/08
Posts: 77

5/08/12 1:18:11 AM#83

Could everyone stop saying, "evolutionary?"  It's making my brain hurt.  Clearly, nobody here has taken high school biology.

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."

-Matt Groening

  Sixpax

Novice Member

Joined: 7/28/05
Posts: 602

5/08/12 7:18:20 AM#84
Originally posted by antiherozero

Could everyone stop saying, "evolutionary?"  It's making my brain hurt.  Clearly, nobody here has taken high school biology.

Or High School English for that matter.

MMO games would be pretty cool if it weren't for the people.

  judex99

Novice Member

Joined: 5/01/08
Posts: 397

5/08/12 8:14:13 AM#85

This is the first step forward in the genre since Everquest... i said it xDDD

Seriously, the game is good and the idea behind it is cooperation instead competition, we will see how stands in 3 months after release, i wish the best.

  BigAndShiny

Novice Member

Joined: 6/06/11
Posts: 177

5/08/12 9:13:37 AM#86

"SW:TOR is a revolution in gameplay.  No more endless slog through levels, but a proper RPG story.  This is what Bioware gamers and MMO fans have been waiting for for years.  The combat, yes it's based on WoW, but fighting multiple mobs at once is challenging and fun, and the animations are sublime.  The aspect of choice makes me want to level alts and means the game will take YEARS of gameplay to finish.  The group quests make me group up with players all the time, and the story aspect adds another dimension to the team dynamic. 

The worlds are interesting and lovingly crafted, and there's even open world PvP at endgame, as well as 3 launch battlegrounds.  There are also NO content gaps from 1-50.  I would recommend it to anyone and TOR is the breath of fresh air the genre desperately needs."

-Average SW:TOR pre-launch post, September 2011

Please stop.  GW2 may be good, it may be fun, heck I've pre-purchased it.  But it will NOT be the saviour, it will not be a 'revolution' and it will not change MMOs.  WoW, Aion (In Asia) and other games will still have MILLIONS of players.    So enjoy your game, but we don't need you to tell us that 'this time', 'they'll get it right'.

 

-Thanks

  WynterArwyn

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/17/05
Posts: 32

5/08/12 11:46:19 PM#87
Originally posted by udon
Originally posted by SuperDonk
Originally posted by udon
Originally posted by Meleagar

 

 

So what happens in a year or so when there are 2-3 expansions and you are the only one trying to level up in a area?  All those group dynamic quests that you are suppose to level off of are going to go from fun and interesting to repeatative and fustrating pretty fast when you are trying to do them alone.

This happens IN EVERY MMO. Bitching that it will happen in GW2 seems pointless to me.

 

Go play WoW and tell me how full the lowbie zones are, at least GW2 scales to the number of players unlike SWTOR where the heroic 4 mans are all but ignored by everyone not on the Fatman server.

The difference being that "IN EVERY MMO" you can do solo quests to level, in GW2 dynamic events are the solo content (or seems to at least be the bulk of it).  Even RIFT has enough quest hub content to bypass dynamic content completly if you want.  GW2 doesn't seem to have much outside of story quests (which are not enough to level off of) and dynamic content in the way of leveling options for solo PVE players.

I'm not knocking GW2's dynamic content, it's accually a pretty fun alternative to quest hubs in a busy area it's just not really truely solo (as in playing completely alone with no one else around) friendly like quest hubs are.  However I will say that GW2's dynamic content is more friendly to lots of people in the same area than quest hubs except for the occasional rush to gather apples events that people end up fighting over.

 

I think a that a lot of people missed something during the beta weekend. The Hearts are not the only DE's in the game, as a matter of fact they are actually only one part of  the GW2 enviroment. DE's happen all over the place, you just have to look around & explore to find them.  

For example don't ignore an NPC calling to you telling you that their fields are under attack. You might also talk to a random NPC that you come across and it might trigger an event chain.  While exploring you might come across a cave where some NPC has gotten trapped and needs help out. I know it's hard to experience everything in only 3 days of a beta, so I'm sure quite a few folks missed them. Especially consdering that a lot of people are used to being told where to go or being lead somewhere by an NPC and quest text. Without markers or description text (ie merchant, trader, etc...etc..etc.)over their head most folks tend to simply ignore npcs because that's what we've learned to do over the years. 

This video I found (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyqGJHTjes)does a nice job at showing 1 person activly following a quest chain that wasn't manned by a huge group of people..it definitely gives me reason to get excited to back into tyria, exploring is just full of awesome to me and imho Anet seems to be on to something.

  WynterArwyn

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/17/05
Posts: 32

5/08/12 11:54:27 PM#88
Originally posted by sonoggi
Originally posted by Xzen
I found it almost impossible to solo. Every time I tried to do a quest there were a bunch of people there helping me and there was nothing I could do about it. I couldn't play solo if I wanted to.

you get solo play through personal story, which is like all of TOR. what more could people want? they can have their personal RPG experience, but MMO's are really meant to be played in a community. the ISSUES in other games were: trinity (LF healer/tank lulz), gear requirements (grind moar to play with us), and community-destroying LFG tools. GW2 doesnt have such issues, so even the soloers should be out there having fun. no reason not to, ANet made it so easy to group.

You can solo your personal story line if you choose, however my husband and friends all jumped in a did eachothers storylines, we all earned Karma for doing so and it fun as well.

  thekid1

Apprentice Member

Joined: 7/10/05
Posts: 772

5/09/12 3:30:00 AM#89

Sounds wonderfull!

 

I like playing mmorpg's because of all the people around me but I don't like guilds and raids and such. Doesn't make any sense you'd think but the opening post made me realize what I've been missing.

I don't want to wait 45 minutes for a group to form so we can finally go in to a dungeon. I don't like searching for a group because I have to finish a certain quest. I do however like playing with other people.

Seems Guild Wars 2 hit the nail on the head. The last time I had fun grouping with other people was in Star Wars Galaxies grinding mobs and missions. That to was very casual and therefore fun. Still had to work together though and it wasn't always easy.

Casual grouping shouldn't mean the actual fights are easy. Although they shouldn't be as hard as content made for fixed groups like guilds.

 

  Ashen_X

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/22/10
Posts: 365

5/10/12 1:28:03 AM#90
Originally posted by thekid1

Sounds wonderfull!

 

I like playing mmorpg's because of all the people around me but I don't like guilds and raids and such. Doesn't make any sense you'd think but the opening post made me realize what I've been missing.

I don't want to wait 45 minutes for a group to form so we can finally go in to a dungeon. I don't like searching for a group because I have to finish a certain quest. I do however like playing with other people.

Seems Guild Wars 2 hit the nail on the head. The last time I had fun grouping with other people was in Star Wars Galaxies grinding mobs and missions. That to was very casual and therefore fun. Still had to work together though and it wasn't always easy.

Casual grouping shouldn't mean the actual fights are easy. Although they shouldn't be as hard as content made for fixed groups like guilds.

 

Agreed.

If I only have an hour to play I don't want to spend 45 minutes of it looking for a group. On the other hand I might very much want to play with others. This was my favorite aspect of the GW2 beta event.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

  Meleagar

Novice Member

Joined: 6/12/09
Posts: 407

 
OP  5/10/12 6:36:22 AM#91

"Casual grouping shouldn't mean the actual fights are easy. Although they shouldn't be as hard as content made for fixed groups like guilds."

 

I agree wholeheartedly with this.  For too long it's been conventional wisdom that difficult=more hours spent in game.  If the difficulty barrier between me and top content is me waiting around for an hour or two while some guild tries to get everyone together and on the same page, count me out. I'd rather spend that hour or two actually doing something in the game.

For me, difficulty as having to learn how to move, dodge, and arrange skills and weapons to beat an enemy > difficulty as trying to stay awake and ATK for long periods of time.

  arieste

Novice Member

Joined: 10/11/04
Posts: 3301

5/10/12 10:23:44 AM#92
Originally posted by Meleagar

 I was involved in one group or raid-quality event after another. 

I could log in, and log out, and go AFK as I wished

play as good or as bad as I was able

without putting anyone else at risk or ruining anyone else's game. 

I could figure out what combination of skills and weapons I personally liked to use, and use that to my heart's content, and nobody could disinvite me or prevent me from participating.

If I was halfway through a quest and felt like doing something else, I could wander off 

So, to sum things up based on your feedback,  the "raid quality events" in GW2 can be done with random people playing in stupidest ways possible (assuming that's what they feel like doing), going AFK mid-event, logging out or running off to do something else and never talking communicating or coordinating with other players.  And despite all this, the events get completed and everyone gets rewards?

 

And this makes for  "challenging" or "difficult" content?

 

I'm a massive fan of dynamic content and while GW2 isn't at the top of my anticipated list, the recent articles and videos i've been seeing have me extremely interested.  But then things like your post above make it sound rather terrible.  I don't really want 20  (or 2 for that matter) random idiots  facerolling their keyboards and never talking to each other to be able to get the same results as 20 (or 2) skilled players cooperating.    This just doesn't seem like particularly good design.

 

 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2
Currently Playing: EQ2, NW, Firefall
Do you miss SWG crafting? Check out Firefall's system!

  lizardbones

Elite Member

Joined: 6/11/08
Posts: 10376

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

5/10/12 10:31:59 AM#93


Originally posted by arieste


Originally posted by Meleagar
 I was involved in one group or raid-quality event after another. 
I could log in, and log out, and go AFK as I wished
play as good or as bad as I was able
without putting anyone else at risk or ruining anyone else's game. 
I could figure out what combination of skills and weapons I personally liked to use, and use that to my heart's content, and nobody could disinvite me or prevent me from participating.
If I was halfway through a quest and felt like doing something else, I could wander off 


So, to sum things up based on your feedback,  the "raid quality events" in GW2 can be done with random people playing in stupidest ways possible (assuming that's what they feel like doing), going AFK mid-event, logging out or running off to do something else and never talking communicating or coordinating with other players.  And despite all this, the events get completed and everyone gets rewards?
 
And this makes for  "challenging" or "difficult" content?
 
I'm a massive fan of dynamic content and while GW2 isn't at the top of my anticipated list, the recent articles and videos i've been seeing have me extremely interested.  But then things like your post above make it sound rather terrible.  I don't really want 20  (or 2 for that matter) random idiots  facerolling their keyboards and never talking to each other to be able to get the same results as 20 (or 2) skilled players cooperating.    This just doesn't seem like particularly good design.
 
 



The rewards are based on participation and contribution. Presumably a face rolling idiot would not get the same rewards as someone who did most of the damage or healed half the people in the group so they could do more damage. I'm not sure how the particulars work out, but I'd prefer GW2's system to what's currently used. Assuming it works of course. I'd be pretty ticked if someone could run around AFK or act like an idiot and glom off of my contribution. Which is how things work out now...AFK in group PvP, run around like idiots in raids where the end result is simply randomly distributed and has no relation to the individual's contribution.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

  Meleagar

Novice Member

Joined: 6/12/09
Posts: 407

 
OP  5/10/12 6:37:38 PM#94

"So, to sum things up based on your feedback,  "

 

Except you're not "summing things up", you're taking them out of context and making things up out of whole cloth in order to reach the conclusion you desire.

 

"the "raid quality events" in GW2 can be done with random people playing in stupidest ways possible (assuming that's what they feel like doing), going AFK mid-event, logging out or running off to do something else and never talking communicating or coordinating with other players.  And despite all this, the events get completed and everyone gets rewards?"

 

No, they cannot succeed that way, and I didn't say they could. Players that are participating in events can fail. I didn't say that I could play stupidly, or walk away, or that many others could too, and still win; I said, I wouldn't be held personally responsible.  Apparently, you think people who don't have great  reflexes, or have an incomplete knowledge of the game, or have to ditch for real life concerns, or just feel like doing something else are playing "stupidly"; I think they're just not interested in playing the game professionally, and a lot of us really do just consider these games to be JUST "games".

Furthermore, if the players fail, all that means is that there is more event, or another event, to try - taking the outpost back, or having to defend against an even greater threat.

 

"And this makes for  "challenging" or "difficult" content?"

 

Actually, yes, having to try and defeat a raid-like event without going into it as a well-oiled guild machine, and without knowing what "role" you might need to fulfill, and without even knowing if you can rely on the other players, and without much - if any - communication makes it a lot more challenging than engaging in the same raid content over and over, with the same people, all pushing the same buttons in sequence over and over, with well-defined roles and responsibilities.

You see, all of your argument is invalid simply because of your insertion of something I never said - that players could win regardless of how they played, and regardless of how much they contributed.

 

"I'm a massive fan of dynamic content and while GW2 isn't at the top of my anticipated list, the recent articles and videos i've been seeing have me extremely interested.  But then things like your post above make it sound rather terrible."

 

Except I didn't post what you interpreted. You might read my post again. I didn't say the events could be beaten by a bunch of half-ass players playing stupidly and wandering off, all I said was that I'm not held personally responsible for my playstyle shortcomings and real-life challenges in such a scenario  --- but thanks so much for illuminating my point about the "14 yr old e-Napolean [who] doesn't think I'm professional enough."

 

" I don't really want 20  (or 2 for that matter) random idiots  facerolling their keyboards and never talking to each other to be able to get the same results as 20 (or 2) skilled players cooperating.    This just doesn't seem like particularly good design."

 

Nobody said they'd get the same results; I said I'll get the result I deserve, figured by the game mechanics, for my level of contribution. Nobody said that such events could be beaten by any colllection of players, or that everyone would get equal results. That was just your imagination erroneously turning my post into your straw man whipping boy.

  arieste

Novice Member

Joined: 10/11/04
Posts: 3301

5/10/12 7:26:36 PM#95
Originally posted by Meleagar
l I said was that I'm not held personally responsible for my playstyle shortcomings and real-life challenges in such a scenario 

Ok, i read your post again.

 

Here is EXACTLY what you said:

(i can)  "play as good or as bad as I was able ... without putting anyone else at risk or ruining anyone else's game. "

 

Now, if you (or anyone else) play as bad as you're able, do you not think that this results in the event having less chance of succeeding?  For example, events spawn for 20 people.  If the other 19 people are just barely completing their part, but you fail at yours, do you not think that you're in some way responsible for the group's failure?    

 

You, by participating in a dynamic event are directly responsible for the event scaling up to the number of people participating.  If 10 people are present and 9 go afk, the other person will have to defeat an event scaled to 10 people.  That person will most certainly fail, do you not think those 9 people are in some way responsible for that failure?  After all, if that person was alone, he'd only have a 1-person event to fight and his chances at success would be much greater.

 

On the flipside, if the game is indeed designed so that events are SO easy that 10-person events can be beaten by 1 if the others are slacking off, well, then I was correct in the first place.  

 

If me pointing out that people should be respectful of others and take responsibility for their actions somehow makes me a tactical genius,  i'll take that as a compliment.  (Napoleon is spelled with an "o" btw. I apologize in advance in case your "lifestyle challenges" prevent you from knowing how to spell "Napoleon" as well as fail to prevent you from referencing things you don't know much about.),

 

When you share a world with others, your actions generally have an effect on them whether you like it or not.  Just because the game absolves you of any need to actually communicate with people, doesn't mean that what you do does not matter to them.  Sorry.

 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2
Currently Playing: EQ2, NW, Firefall
Do you miss SWG crafting? Check out Firefall's system!

  User Deleted
5/10/12 7:31:12 PM#96


Originally posted by arieste
I apologize in advance in case your "lifestyle challenges" prevent you from knowing how to spell "Napoleon"

best.disclaimer.ever.

I'm sorry to pop in with that. But I had to give props where props were due.

Carry on.

  Amjoco

Elite Member

Joined: 9/15/10
Posts: 3606

5/10/12 7:44:54 PM#97
Originally posted by arieste
Originally posted by Meleagar
l I said was that I'm not held personally responsible for my playstyle shortcomings and real-life challenges in such a scenario 

Ok, i read your post again.

 

Here is EXACTLY what you said:

(i can)  "play as good or as bad as I was able ... without putting anyone else at risk or ruining anyone else's game. "

 

Now, if you (or anyone else) play as bad as you're able, do you not think that this results in the event having less chance of succeeding?  For example, events spawn for 20 people.  If the other 19 people are just barely completing their part, but you fail at yours, do you not think that you're in some way responsible for the group's failure?    

 

You, by participating in a dynamic event are directly responsible for the event scaling up to the number of people participating.  If 10 people are present and 9 go afk, the other person will have to defeat an event scaled to 10 people.  That person will most certainly fail, do you not think those 9 people are in some way responsible for that failure?  After all, if that person was alone, he'd only have a 1-person event to fight and his chances at success would be much greater.

 

On the flipside, if the game is indeed designed so that events are SO easy that 10-person events can be beaten by 1 if the others are slacking off, well, then I was correct in the first place.  

 

If me pointing out that people should be respectful of others and take responsibility for their actions somehow makes me a tactical genius,  i'll take that as a compliment.  (Napoleon is spelled with an "o" btw. I apologize in advance in case your "lifestyle challenges" prevent you from knowing how to spell "Napoleon" as well as fail to prevent you from referencing things you don't know much about.),

 

When you share a world with others, your actions generally have an effect on them whether you like it or not.  Just because the game absolves you of any need to actually communicate with people, doesn't mean that what you do does not matter to them.  Sorry.

 

You are being nit picky.

As far as his spelling, figure this out from one of your own posts. "' pretty sure all of TSW was built from the ground up to be an MMO.  So i expect there to be a lot less discreptancy between that and the rest of the world.  "

You must be bored.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

  tank017

Novice Member

Joined: 7/09/06
Posts: 2206

5/10/12 7:52:15 PM#98
Originally posted by Meleagar

No, casual doesn't mean "easy", and solo doesn't mean "never plays with others", and that is something that  Anet has, shockingly, really understood and taken to heart.

Without saying a word to other players, I was involved in one group or raid-quality event after another.  I could log in, and log out, and go AFK as I wished, and play as good or as bad as I was able, with no grief or guilt, without putting anyone else at risk or ruining anyone else's game.  I could figure out what combination of skills and weapons I personally liked to use, and use that to my heart's content, and nobody could disinvite me or prevent me from participating.

Yes, I do enjoy talking to others, and I do enjoy playing as best I can; I just don't like being excluded from top end content and rewards because some 14 yr old e-Napolean doesn't think I'm professional enough.  I also don't like putting other people at risk because I don't play the most efficient, min-max character possible.

The game mechanics itself told me what my contribution level was, and I didn't have to beg someone else, or play to their liking, to get my rewards. Nobody could grief me, ninja-loot, steal my kill, or jump in and ruin content. If I was halfway through a quest and felt like doing something else, I could wander off and not get textually assaulted for it. I could jump in and help other players, and they could do the same for me, freely. If I like an area, I can just stay there to my heart's content. The game doesn't tell me to "get out" of an by reducing my rewards to zero.

Yes, this game is revolutionary, but that won't be fully recognized by many until a few months down the road as casual players and soloers start draining away from games unfriendly to their playstyle and filling up GW2 servers, and as people who have either never played or have left the genre realize GW2 is exactly what they've been looking/waiting for.

This is brilliant, genre-altering game design. It's not readily apparent; because the true differences are deep in the structural bones, not in the superficial activities, which are much like other games. When people realize there really is no reason to rush through the game because the same thing is available from the very beginning, and when people realize they can play this game any way they want and not suffer from lack of inclusion in content, that's when the enormity of what Anet has created here will become apparent.

 

Oh boy..

 

so the raids/DE's are like I expected all along,Theyre like RIFT.

 

no one saying a thing,just playing a single player game that happens to have people around you for shits n giggles.

  Amjoco

Elite Member

Joined: 9/15/10
Posts: 3606

5/10/12 7:57:56 PM#99
Originally posted by tank017
Originally posted by Meleagar

No, casual doesn't mean "easy", and solo doesn't mean "never plays with others", and that is something that  Anet has, shockingly, really understood and taken to heart.

Without saying a word to other players, I was involved in one group or raid-quality event after another.  I could log in, and log out, and go AFK as I wished, and play as good or as bad as I was able, with no grief or guilt, without putting anyone else at risk or ruining anyone else's game.  I could figure out what combination of skills and weapons I personally liked to use, and use that to my heart's content, and nobody could disinvite me or prevent me from participating.

Yes, I do enjoy talking to others, and I do enjoy playing as best I can; I just don't like being excluded from top end content and rewards because some 14 yr old e-Napolean doesn't think I'm professional enough.  I also don't like putting other people at risk because I don't play the most efficient, min-max character possible.

The game mechanics itself told me what my contribution level was, and I didn't have to beg someone else, or play to their liking, to get my rewards. Nobody could grief me, ninja-loot, steal my kill, or jump in and ruin content. If I was halfway through a quest and felt like doing something else, I could wander off and not get textually assaulted for it. I could jump in and help other players, and they could do the same for me, freely. If I like an area, I can just stay there to my heart's content. The game doesn't tell me to "get out" of an by reducing my rewards to zero.

Yes, this game is revolutionary, but that won't be fully recognized by many until a few months down the road as casual players and soloers start draining away from games unfriendly to their playstyle and filling up GW2 servers, and as people who have either never played or have left the genre realize GW2 is exactly what they've been looking/waiting for.

This is brilliant, genre-altering game design. It's not readily apparent; because the true differences are deep in the structural bones, not in the superficial activities, which are much like other games. When people realize there really is no reason to rush through the game because the same thing is available from the very beginning, and when people realize they can play this game any way they want and not suffer from lack of inclusion in content, that's when the enormity of what Anet has created here will become apparent.

 

Oh boy..

 

so the raids/DE's are like I expected all along,Theyre like RIFT.

 

no one saying a thing,just playing a single player game that happens to have people around you for shits n giggles.

Nope not at all. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

  arieste

Novice Member

Joined: 10/11/04
Posts: 3301

5/10/12 9:04:30 PM#100
Originally posted by Amjoco

 

You are being nit picky.

As far as his spelling, figure this out from one of your own posts. "' pretty sure all of TSW was built from the ground up to be an MMO.  So i expect there to be a lot less discreptancy between that and the rest of the world.  "

You must be bored.

I wasn't so much concerned with his spelling as i found it ironic that he didn't know the name of the very historical figure he was erroneously trying to use in an insult in order to make himself sound smart.   That is why i didn't it point it out the first time. Out of respect for others, i tend to always assume that the error is a typo unless proven otherwise.  Or unless the person starts acting like an ass and nitpicking things.

 

You going back through my posts to look for a spelling error is also amusing, although i do appreciate you pointing it out.  I suppose I could use the OP's excuse and claim that this error is a result of my lifestyle challenges (i.e. english being my second language), but frankly, i have quite good command of english and simply did not know that this was spelled incorrectly.  I do now and am smarter for it.  So, thanks :)

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2
Currently Playing: EQ2, NW, Firefall
Do you miss SWG crafting? Check out Firefall's system!

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search