Trending Games | ArcheAge | Neverwinter | WildStar | World of Warcraft

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,821,745 Users Online:0
Games:731  Posts:6,216,985
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Deco Online Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Phoenix Edition LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Project Blackout Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Puzzle Pirates Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Hammers End The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Total Domination Transformers Universe Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

General Discussion

General Discussion 

Open Beta Discussion  » Tera VS GuildWars 2

7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search
136 posts found
  Elloa

Novice Member

Joined: 4/26/11
Posts: 3

 
OP  4/29/11 9:52:23 AM#1

Hello Everyone,

 

I wonder what do you think about those 2 future game. i've not got teh chance to get a beta key, so I'm just exploring the net searching for all information i can for those game.

I'd like to find a home in the MMO world, to replace World of Warcraft (my susbscription end in september), and both game attract me very much. I'm also playing Rift that I enjoy and Minecraft, so I'll have to make a choice.

Guild Wars seem more RolePlay oriented, while Tera is probably more oriented arround fight and combat. Both game seem beautiful and attractive in their own way.

 

What do you think? Where it would be possible to reinstall a community ?

  Calind0r

Novice Member

Joined: 2/10/08
Posts: 739

5/03/11 4:22:13 PM#2

TERA sucks.

 

It has the best combat of any MMO ever. But its a bit too slow paced and dumbed down for 'keyboard turners' if you will.

Aside from the combat it's an incredibly boring and generic copy of every other MMO. Your first few weeks will be nothing more than doing kill 6 mob quests, and running instances that are primarily elite mobs that take a long time to kill, which mitigates the epic feeling and thrill of having action based combat. The instances are also incredibly easy, and theres like 0% chance to wipe.

End game is also an instanced themepark, so there don't expect any type of political system or oopen world PvP to work.

  MumboJumbo

Hard Core Member

Joined: 7/18/10
Posts: 3139

Veni, Vidi, Converti

5/03/11 5:05:18 PM#3

OP: You mean GW2 not GW as per title... this is one of the best summaries of info for GW2:

Everything We Know about GW2

If that's not enough:

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/

And more links in Summary provided. There's a lot of info (more at the wiki) there so maybe start with the gw2-website and/or some video links and then read up from there.

No idea about Tera, can't help.

  L337ish

Novice Member

Joined: 5/01/11
Posts: 3

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

5/04/11 3:51:26 PM#4

I think Guild Wars 2 is going to change the MMO scene at least for a little while. They seem to have no desire to make money with the project, only to blow people's minds. So far the creativity I've seen in both GW and GW2 is impressive and somehow refreshingly original.

Since Guild Wars 2 is free, and has some of the best graphics around, along with an amazing development team, I am very excited to see what they have in store for us. If you haven't already watched the videos of skills and professions they have on the GW2 website I would head over there and watch, some of them are really cool.

  Unlight

Novice Member

Joined: 12/10/08
Posts: 2586

5/04/11 3:56:32 PM#5
Originally posted by L337ish

I think Guild Wars 2 is going to change the MMO scene at least for a little while. They seem to have no desire to make money with the project, only to blow people's minds. So far the creativity I've seen in both GW and GW2 is impressive and somehow refreshingly original.

Since Guild Wars 2 is free, and has some of the best graphics around, along with an amazing development team, I am very excited to see what they have in store for us. If you haven't already watched the videos of skills and professions they have on the GW2 website I would head over there and watch, some of them are really cool.

Just to clarify, you need to purchase the game, but there are no monthly subscriptions fees.  Once you buy the game, you won't be required to spend another dollar on it for unlimited play.  There will be an item shop that's expected to have mainly cosmetic and account items in it.  All optional stuff that you won't need to progress through the game with everyone else.

I know very little about Tera so I can't compare the two games.

  killamjl

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/01/06
Posts: 27

5/04/11 4:00:22 PM#6



Originally posted by Calind0r
TERA sucks.
 
 


I agree

Sadly Im a fan of Tera and will be playing it, but the direction it is headed in is an unfinished release, bad end game, and weak combat system(with good intentions)

The staff at EnMasse have the potential to turn it around and keep it from blowing up like Aion did, but I doubt they will be givin that much control and time from BlueHole.

In fact i think the 2011-2012 year is gonna be another failure, maybe GuildWars2 will come out ahead, we will see.

  stayontarget

Guide

Joined: 10/04/08
Posts: 6126

Girlfriends come and go but Epic battles are Soulbound

5/04/11 4:00:43 PM#7

I'm sure they will both do just fine but will cater to different types of players.  At least both of these 2 games are trying to break away from the norm and that in itself will be a big plus.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

  Master10K

Apprentice Member

Joined: 10/18/10
Posts: 3086

5/04/11 4:33:20 PM#8

I really think the OP should change the title to something like "Guild Wars 2 or Tera, which should I get?" It's just very misleading. Now as for my answer I'd have to go with Guild Wars 2, since it beats Tera in almost every major area....

 

Questing in Tera follows the same old go there, kill x amount of y, collect z, return for your reward. The good thing about this is that it's not just another Asian-grindfest, however it doesn't stop the questing from being a boring grind, like in any other themepark MMO. Questing in Guild Wars 2, on the other hand, is following Arenanet's "less grind, more role playing philosophy". By doing away with open world questing all together and replacing it optional "non-linear" events that anyone can be a part of.

Combat in Tera is pretty revolutionary for a Fantasy MMORPG, since you have aim where you want to attack, for every attack and it takes into account:: range, velocity, collision detection, body blocking, etc. There's a lot more to Tera's combat that that, such as dodges & combo skills but what I consider a problem is that it still falls back on the tried and true trinity formula (more Tank & Spank). Whereas Guild Wars 2 takes a huge steaming dump on the holy trinity and says "we can do better" and I believe they can. I'm just tired of waiting for healers and being stuck in an inflexible role, even when things aren't working out, during an encounter. It also looks fun, fast-paced and easy to learn; yet difficult to master. 

There's a bunch of other reasons why Guild Wars 2 would be a better purchase like: WvWvW PvP, activities, music score, in-depth character customization and of course no monthly fees. Feel free to look up the rest.

  Onarix

Novice Member

Joined: 4/06/11
Posts: 86

5/04/11 4:39:02 PM#9
Originally posted by Elloa

Hello Everyone,

 

I wonder what do you think about those 2 future game. i've not got teh chance to get a beta key, so I'm just exploring the net searching for all information i can for those game.

I'd like to find a home in the MMO world, to replace World of Warcraft (my susbscription end in september), and both game attract me very much. I'm also playing Rift that I enjoy and Minecraft, so I'll have to make a choice.

Guild Wars seem more RolePlay oriented, while Tera is probably more oriented arround fight and combat. Both game seem beautiful and attractive in their own way.

 

What do you think? Where it would be possible to reinstall a community ?

TERA seems to be a game with not alot of info availible at the moment about it. Sure they may have added a few videos on it and some dungeon gameplay but theres not enough info to base a guess on which game would succeed more then the other. Just my 2 cents.

Free to play means pay to win.

  Master10K

Apprentice Member

Joined: 10/18/10
Posts: 3086

5/04/11 4:44:25 PM#10
Originally posted by Onarix
 

TERA seems to be a game with not alot of info availible at the moment about it. Sure they may have added a few videos on it and some dungeon gameplay but theres not enough info to base a guess on which game would succeed more then the other. Just my 2 cents.

There's actually quite a bit of info on Tera if you know where to look for it. The game is already out in Korea and you can even find vids of english speaking players giving their impressions & commentaries on the game on youtube & justin.tv. I personally got a lot of my info from some of the old TWIMMO vids on GBTV.

  darkichi72

Novice Member

Joined: 5/15/11
Posts: 5

5/16/11 7:41:41 PM#11

I would say Guild Wars 2.

  MorbidCurio

Novice Member

Joined: 3/24/11
Posts: 129

5/16/11 8:10:16 PM#12

Alright. Are you sure you want my honest opinion? It's going to generate a lot of nerdrage in the thread. So if you're prone to raging about GW 2 I would suggest you not even bother reading this. It's a inuitive, experienced eye closely examining GW 2 under a microscope. Call it opinion if you want, but these are actually educated, grounded conclusions that anyone who is looking should come to.

 

 

 

GW 2 - Looks promising, but ANet is pulling a massive trick on everybody. It's not nearly as cool as any of you think it is. The combat system is actually more like the norm than you would believe. Almost everything I have seen of the game so far indicates that it's basically just GW 1 with upgraded graphics and a slightly upgrade system of combat. Let's take a close look at it, shall we?

 

Ok, let's start with the 'dodge' mechanic that everybody goes to right off the bat.

It's useless and isn't nearly what most of you probably think it is. If you think that the dodge mechanic is a simple tool to perhaps cover a little bit of ground that is to be used sparingly, then that's what it is.

If you think it's a super amazing mechanic that allows you to carefully and precicely dodge any attack, you're wrong. I have seen the game played IN PERSON AT A PUBLIC EVENT. I have also watched every single video available on youtube and carefully examined them. Nothing I am about to talk about is under NDA; it's public record.

Ok, now that that's out the way I can say this: The 'dodge' roll in GW 2 does not prevent you from taking damage AND it consumes a fair amount of energy. There is no weapon arc collision detection in the game. Instead, everything is basically a small area attack. There are plenty of videos out there where you see the focus of the camera rolling around all over the place, but still taking plenty of damage.

The roll is mostly to put a little distance between you and your target. What is nothing more than an escape ability in any other game has somehow become a 'unique mechanic' in GW 2. This is not the case. Plenty of other games have already done this and some even do it better from what I've seen.

In GW 2 you still have a hot bar. You still spam buttons. Hell, from what I've seen you actually seem to end up spamming one button most of the time. The hot bar is set up exactly like GW 1, so anyone familiar with that game should know what I'm talking about. You end up spamming one ability the majority of the time (sound familiar? it should)

As far as the quests go - How is what they're describing any different than what GW 1 currently offers? I, for one, got really sick of all the running around. To the point that I didn't want to make any alts.

 

TL:DR

GW 2 is shaping up to be mostly a rehash of GW  with things that ANet probably wanted to do with their first game. The most significant ADDITION I have seen is more of an open world. Nothing else has jumped out at me as being all that different from GW 1. If you don't want to take my word for it then, please, go to youtube and very carefully watch the videos.

 

TERA

Since Tera is released, there is no NDA to worry about here. Though this info is all based off of the Korean live client. Take it as you will.

So far - The combat is amazing....that's about it.

Someone else summed up it's problems nicely. The dungeons are really easy and kinda boring. Leveling is remarkably short, which is good all things considered. And the PvP system is completely trashed at the moment. It needs a pretty fair amount of work, but if they can fix these issues it should be a pretty interesting game. We'll have to wait and see.

  protomunk

Novice Member

Joined: 12/03/10
Posts: 31

5/23/11 1:05:48 PM#13
Originally posted by MorbidCurio

Alright. Are you sure you want my honest opinion? It's going to generate a lot of nerdrage in the thread. So if you're prone to raging about GW 2 I would suggest you not even bother reading this. It's a inuitive, experienced eye closely examining GW 2 under a microscope. Call it opinion if you want, but these are actually educated, grounded conclusions that anyone who is looking should come to.

 

 

 

GW 2 - Looks promising, but ANet is pulling a massive trick on everybody. It's not nearly as cool as any of you think it is. The combat system is actually more like the norm than you would believe. Almost everything I have seen of the game so far indicates that it's basically just GW 1 with upgraded graphics and a slightly upgrade system of combat. Let's take a close look at it, shall we?

 

Ok, let's start with the 'dodge' mechanic that everybody goes to right off the bat.

It's useless and isn't nearly what most of you probably think it is. If you think that the dodge mechanic is a simple tool to perhaps cover a little bit of ground that is to be used sparingly, then that's what it is.

If you think it's a super amazing mechanic that allows you to carefully and precicely dodge any attack, you're wrong. I have seen the game played IN PERSON AT A PUBLIC EVENT. I have also watched every single video available on youtube and carefully examined them. Nothing I am about to talk about is under NDA; it's public record.

Ok, now that that's out the way I can say this: The 'dodge' roll in GW 2 does not prevent you from taking damage AND it consumes a fair amount of energy. There is no weapon arc collision detection in the game. Instead, everything is basically a small area attack. There are plenty of videos out there where you see the focus of the camera rolling around all over the place, but still taking plenty of damage.

The roll is mostly to put a little distance between you and your target. What is nothing more than an escape ability in any other game has somehow become a 'unique mechanic' in GW 2. This is not the case. Plenty of other games have already done this and some even do it better from what I've seen.

In GW 2 you still have a hot bar. You still spam buttons. Hell, from what I've seen you actually seem to end up spamming one button most of the time. The hot bar is set up exactly like GW 1, so anyone familiar with that game should know what I'm talking about. You end up spamming one ability the majority of the time (sound familiar? it should)

As far as the quests go - How is what they're describing any different than what GW 1 currently offers? I, for one, got really sick of all the running around. To the point that I didn't want to make any alts.

 

TL:DR

GW 2 is shaping up to be mostly a rehash of GW  with things that ANet probably wanted to do with their first game. The most significant ADDITION I have seen is more of an open world. Nothing else has jumped out at me as being all that different from GW 1. If you don't want to take my word for it then, please, go to youtube and very carefully watch the videos.

 

TERA

Since Tera is released, there is no NDA to worry about here. Though this info is all based off of the Korean live client. Take it as you will.

So far - The combat is amazing....that's about it.

Someone else summed up it's problems nicely. The dungeons are really easy and kinda boring. Leveling is remarkably short, which is good all things considered. And the PvP system is completely trashed at the moment. It needs a pretty fair amount of work, but if they can fix these issues it should be a pretty interesting game. We'll have to wait and see.

 

One thing you forgot is that guildwars has always put a large focus on pvp which is something that has been missing from most mmos. They separate pvp and pve and try to make the game as enjoyable as possible in both. There isn't any hard info on gw2 pvp at the moment so you can't really judge it that department. Tera, however, will have a very weak endgame and not much pvp.
  Tyrxz

Novice Member

Joined: 11/19/10
Posts: 334

You don't get what you deserve, you take it.

5/23/11 1:12:55 PM#14

Peer pressure! Guild wars 2 then. :D

scribble scribble scribble

  Prazzy

Novice Member

Joined: 2/22/09
Posts: 17

5/23/11 1:29:43 PM#15
Originally posted by protomunk
Originally posted by MorbidCurio

Alright. Are you sure you want my honest opinion? It's going to generate a lot of nerdrage in the thread. So if you're prone to raging about GW 2 I would suggest you not even bother reading this. It's a inuitive, experienced eye closely examining GW 2 under a microscope. Call it opinion if you want, but these are actually educated, grounded conclusions that anyone who is looking should come to.

 

 

 

GW 2 - Looks promising, but ANet is pulling a massive trick on everybody. It's not nearly as cool as any of you think it is. The combat system is actually more like the norm than you would believe. Almost everything I have seen of the game so far indicates that it's basically just GW 1 with upgraded graphics and a slightly upgrade system of combat. Let's take a close look at it, shall we?

 

Ok, let's start with the 'dodge' mechanic that everybody goes to right off the bat.

It's useless and isn't nearly what most of you probably think it is. If you think that the dodge mechanic is a simple tool to perhaps cover a little bit of ground that is to be used sparingly, then that's what it is.

If you think it's a super amazing mechanic that allows you to carefully and precicely dodge any attack, you're wrong. I have seen the game played IN PERSON AT A PUBLIC EVENT. I have also watched every single video available on youtube and carefully examined them. Nothing I am about to talk about is under NDA; it's public record.

Ok, now that that's out the way I can say this: The 'dodge' roll in GW 2 does not prevent you from taking damage AND it consumes a fair amount of energy. There is no weapon arc collision detection in the game. Instead, everything is basically a small area attack. There are plenty of videos out there where you see the focus of the camera rolling around all over the place, but still taking plenty of damage.

The roll is mostly to put a little distance between you and your target. What is nothing more than an escape ability in any other game has somehow become a 'unique mechanic' in GW 2. This is not the case. Plenty of other games have already done this and some even do it better from what I've seen.

In GW 2 you still have a hot bar. You still spam buttons. Hell, from what I've seen you actually seem to end up spamming one button most of the time. The hot bar is set up exactly like GW 1, so anyone familiar with that game should know what I'm talking about. You end up spamming one ability the majority of the time (sound familiar? it should)

As far as the quests go - How is what they're describing any different than what GW 1 currently offers? I, for one, got really sick of all the running around. To the point that I didn't want to make any alts.

 

TL:DR

GW 2 is shaping up to be mostly a rehash of GW  with things that ANet probably wanted to do with their first game. The most significant ADDITION I have seen is more of an open world. Nothing else has jumped out at me as being all that different from GW 1. If you don't want to take my word for it then, please, go to youtube and very carefully watch the videos.

 

TERA

Since Tera is released, there is no NDA to worry about here. Though this info is all based off of the Korean live client. Take it as you will.

So far - The combat is amazing....that's about it.

Someone else summed up it's problems nicely. The dungeons are really easy and kinda boring. Leveling is remarkably short, which is good all things considered. And the PvP system is completely trashed at the moment. It needs a pretty fair amount of work, but if they can fix these issues it should be a pretty interesting game. We'll have to wait and see.

 

One thing you forgot is that guildwars has always put a large focus on pvp which is something that has been missing from most mmos. They separate pvp and pve and try to make the game as enjoyable as possible in both. There isn't any hard info on gw2 pvp at the moment so you can't really judge it that department. Tera, however, will have a very weak endgame and not much pvp.

While I agree that the quest system does seem lacking in creativity, I am still going to call shenanigans on Protomonk's blatant lie.

The TERA  Devs have stated before that once the game goes live here in NA it will synchronize content patches/updates with its Korean counterpart. (Unfortunately I cannot remember where I saw this, so to anyone thinking of demanding proof, I likely will not respond)

Furthermore, when the game does eventually go live in NA, it is expected to have significantly more content. All of which is explained in the following link:

http://www.terafans.com/topic/8803-k-tera-press-conference-demon-beast-of-destruction/?s=3bb2b07fb7d96798aea8e48948beaef0

Lastly, as explained in the Link provided, PvP will be a pretty huge part of the game.

On a personal note, these are the two games I am most excited to play ATM, and will in all likelyhood pick up both. I have very much enjoyed everything I have seen from TERA (been a tester since first FGT) and look forward to seeing some more in depth play from GW2 (although I must admit that I do share MorbidCurio's sentiments so far, in that the combat may be missleading.....although I sincerely hope it is not, since combat is the most important facet of any MMO for me in the long run)

  Jakdstripper

Novice Member

Joined: 2/14/10
Posts: 2108

5/23/11 1:43:57 PM#16

Personaly i have played Tera and i can't really see how they will be able to compete with GW2. the only thing Tera has it's the amazing graphics, eveything else is pretty much like every Korean mmo (Aion, Lineage, etc). Tera it's just too asian anime to really cater to a high number of westerners. in my short experience it was pretty much like playing a different kind of Aion with better graphics, more enviromental details, and less clothing :P. on top of the art style it will have a sub fee which GW2 doesnt have. this is a no brainer, a grand majority of people will not play something with a sub fee.

sure the targetless combat is fun, but it doesn't feel very fluid and after a wile it's more fun to watch someone else play the game instead of fighting with the combat animations "rooting" your caracter every time you use a skill.

 

i just dont see how it will compete as long as GW2 isn't complete garbage (which i don't think it will be considering the original GW). i was hoping Tera would launch 6 months prior to GW2 so people would try it wile waiting for GW2, but they are taking their sweet time.

  Bunkafish

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/16/11
Posts: 58

5/23/11 1:47:18 PM#17

From what i've seen if you like open pvp play TERA if you like instanced pvp play GW2. I personally don't really see that much difference between gw and gw2 other than obvious comparisons. I never liked GW1 so maybe i'm biased. 

 

I'm interested in TERA for two reasons. 

1) it has FFA open pvp, every themepark mmo since WoW has been faction vs faction. It's boring and not exciting at all, FFA pvp harbors importance in Guilds, and it ensures hostility between guilds/players. 

- downsize to this? I haven't looked much into their penalty system, but my first mmo was lineage 2 and the penalty system in that game was way to harsh. All it did was encourage players to run away from any fight at all costs. Mind you lineage 2 had to this day the best pvp mechanic (castle sieges). 

 

2) It has "action" combat which looks really cool in videos and on paper. I haven't tried it yet so it's to be determined, I can see problems especially when it comes to peoples latency etc. 

 

Anyways I won't bother going into the pro's and cons about GW2 since certain people on this site are blatent fans. But as I said before I didn't liked GW1 at all so I won't even bother with GW2. 

- I'd suggest trying GW1 to get a better idea of what GW2 will most likely be like. 

For me personally i'll wait for Diablo 3 instead of playing GW2, and my next mmo will most likely be TERA unless Archage has a sooner release date. 

  helthros

Novice Member

Joined: 10/24/09
Posts: 1477

5/23/11 1:57:21 PM#18
Originally posted by Jakdstripper

Personaly i have played Tera and i can't really see how they will be able to compete with GW2. the only thing Tera has it's the amazing graphics, eveything else is pretty much like every Korean mmo (Aion, Lineage, etc). Tera it's just too asian anime to really cater to a high number of westerners. in my short experience it was pretty much like playing a different kind of Aion with better graphics, more enviromental details, and less clothing :P. on top of the art style it will have a sub fee which GW2 doesnt have. this is a no brainer, a grand majority of people will not play something with a sub fee.

sure the targetless combat is fun, but it doesn't feel very fluid and after a wile it's more fun to watch someone else play the game instead of fighting with the combat animations "rooting" your caracter every time you use a skill.

 

i just dont see how it will compete as long as GW2 isn't complete garbage (which i don't think it will be considering the original GW). i was hoping Tera would launch 6 months prior to GW2 so people would try it wile waiting for GW2, but they are taking their sweet time.

Only amazing graphics? You mean the completely different and active combat isn't different? People don't like Asian games? A grand majority of people will not play something with a sub fee? How long have you been playing MMOs?

 

I think it's hilarious how you make so many horribly incorrect over generalizations.

 

PS people talking about TERA in its Korean form. It gets westernized... That's kind of part of the process of taking so long to release in NA. Just keep that in mind...

  CookieTime

Novice Member

Joined: 6/02/10
Posts: 359

5/23/11 3:11:22 PM#19

@MorbidCurio

I could actually read through your post until I got to the part where you said, that the quest system is the same as in GW1.. and it's here where I call BS on your entire post, since it shows you have no clue what you're talking about. Ofcourse people will nerdrage, if you give such misleading information to people who would like to know the truth, while representing yourself as a "experienced" and "educated" poster. The irony..

 

But there's one part where I agree with you..

"If you don't want to take my word for it then, please, go to youtube and very carefully watch the videos."

Yes OP, please do..

Eat me!

  Requiamer

Novice Member

Joined: 5/20/05
Posts: 2054

5/26/11 2:44:38 AM#20

I think you will find better pvp in GW honestly, it definitly aim to be more balanced than in Tera for sure.

I think you might like Tera if you really are a Lineage 2 fan (oriental art style + pvp based on level style), but apart from that i think GW is superior. Also i don't want to be negative, but its pretty clear Tera is a grind fest similar to Aion, maybe i'm wrong who knows

7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search