Trending Games | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | EverQuest | Pirate101 | Star Wars: The Old Republic

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,901,410 Users Online:0
Games:752  Posts:6,271,963
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Angry Birds Epic Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Ascend: Hand of Kul Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Boot Hill Heroes Borderlands 2 Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Bound by Flame Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Bravada Bravely Default Bravely Second Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Cast & Conquer Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Child of Light Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Cyberpunk 2077 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark Souls 2 Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Dead Island Dead Island 2 Dead Island: Riptide Deco Online Deep Down Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Divinity: Original Sin Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Age: Inquisition Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Fin Soup Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Drakengard 3 Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dungeon of the Endless Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout 4 Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Fearless Fantasy Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken Uprising Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Heart Forth Alicia Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes & Legends: Conquerors of Kolhar Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Atlan Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings Era Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online Kyn L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Redemption LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Lichdom: Battlemage Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lords of the Fallen Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance Mass Effect 4 MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms Might & Magic X: Legacy MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Moonrise Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mythborne Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Oort Online Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Persona V Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pillars of Eternity Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints Pokémon X and Y PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Prodigy Project Blackout Project Gorgon Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Project Zomboid Puzzle Pirates Quest for Infamy Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rail Nation Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of Sierra Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Risen 3: Titan Lords Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sacred 3 Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Chance Heroes Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow Realms Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowgate Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian South Park: The Stick of Truth Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Starbound Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Stormthrone Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Styx: Master of Shadows Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online TUG Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Terraria Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Banner Saga The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Epic Might The Hammers End The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2 The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Torment: Tides of Numenera Total Domination Transformers Universe Transistor Transverse Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Warflare Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune Wasteland 2 WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenoblade Chronicles: X Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn 

General Discussion  » At this point...

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
35 posts found
  lavosslayer

Advanced Member

Joined: 1/12/06
Posts: 57

6/23/13 2:57:07 PM#21
Originally posted by WATSKI

I'll be playing at launch, and hopefully for the majority of the game's existence. I'm clearly biased for this game, but looking at a lot of the community I've met so far, the mechanics, the dungeons, the grand companies, and the fact (just like in FFXI) you can have multiple linkshells, this game has a great infrastructure. The only thing I'm not excited about is the group finder, but that's because I'm still in favor of putting yourself out there and asking someone over just waiting to be paired with them.

 

This last weekend alone I managed to pick up three new friends while working on dungeons, ones I never would have met before if I just paired up with randoms and never talked with them as we tried to clear the dungeon as quick as possible. I love the fact I had to call out for people and go through that awkwardness people used to know as "conversations".  And since it seems 4 is going to be the magic number for groups, it really shouldn't be that hard to gather people together.

 

As for combat, I've heard mixed things from friends and other players, but I overall like it. Most spells have a decent cast time so planning needs to be done in tight situations. Many of the DPS classes have to move into position and (hopefully) use the right skills for status effects/maximized damage. Tanks should be repositioning themselves and the party as needed, making sure others don't get hit by line attacks and that they get away from some of the more damaging effects. Healers should be able to heal, position, kill status effects and help the flow of the battle (I called out and caught on to a lot of different events the party may not have been aware of since it was everyone's first time going through the dungeon). People can call it simple or samey, but the action is what you make of it, and I find that I'd rather be optimistic and remember my positives then complain that it's like every other MMORPG in X or Y way (which I never understood that argument, since isn't that what makes a genre a genre? If I wanted an FPS, shouldn't I want to shoot things and hope my twitch reactions pay off? Why wouldn't I want my MMORPG to have good strategy and team building?).

 

And as for the themepark talk, I can understand the implications, but I think that this game has many elements that don't coincide with that label. Mount raising, additional skills, attribute point allocation, on-the-fly class changing, while much of the game could be considered "themepark", there are just as many elements to make your character and your experience unique, and if you're argument is "well, of course there is going to be a best build," then you're just cheating yourself out of the experience of making your own character. I say that completely straightfaced, if you just jump on a website and just find a build and use it exactly how they say, then complain that everyone is the same, then you're part of the problem.

 

Maybe this game won't be for the majority of the MMO market today, and it certainly won't be a "WoW-killer" or anything like that, but I find it solid enough already to be my new MMO for a while, and I think the community that sticks around will be happy with their decision. I'm not looking for a sandbox where I can have dreams of shaping and trying to take over the world in my own image. PVP is not the major reason I play. Hardcore raiding and endgame never appealed that much to me, I like the idea that if I have decent plans on any given night, endgame can take a day off and it'll still be there tomorrow. What this game does have, is what I'm hoping to be a solid community that enjoys the gameplay and wants to work together, in a setting I like with characters I enjoy. And that's enough for me.

+1 to you! I feel the same way!



  Lazzaro

Advanced Member

Joined: 10/01/04
Posts: 402

Anything easy ain''t worth a damn.

6/23/13 3:51:53 PM#22

Still undecided at this point.

  saiweed

Novice Member

Joined: 6/13/12
Posts: 55

here to counter

6/23/13 3:58:20 PM#23
Originally posted by lavosslayer
Originally posted by WATSKI

I'll be playing at launch, and hopefully for the majority of the game's existence. I'm clearly biased for this game, but looking at a lot of the community I've met so far, the mechanics, the dungeons, the grand companies, and the fact (just like in FFXI) you can have multiple linkshells, this game has a great infrastructure. The only thing I'm not excited about is the group finder, but that's because I'm still in favor of putting yourself out there and asking someone over just waiting to be paired with them.

 

This last weekend alone I managed to pick up three new friends while working on dungeons, ones I never would have met before if I just paired up with randoms and never talked with them as we tried to clear the dungeon as quick as possible. I love the fact I had to call out for people and go through that awkwardness people used to know as "conversations".  And since it seems 4 is going to be the magic number for groups, it really shouldn't be that hard to gather people together.

 

As for combat, I've heard mixed things from friends and other players, but I overall like it. Most spells have a decent cast time so planning needs to be done in tight situations. Many of the DPS classes have to move into position and (hopefully) use the right skills for status effects/maximized damage. Tanks should be repositioning themselves and the party as needed, making sure others don't get hit by line attacks and that they get away from some of the more damaging effects. Healers should be able to heal, position, kill status effects and help the flow of the battle (I called out and caught on to a lot of different events the party may not have been aware of since it was everyone's first time going through the dungeon). People can call it simple or samey, but the action is what you make of it, and I find that I'd rather be optimistic and remember my positives then complain that it's like every other MMORPG in X or Y way (which I never understood that argument, since isn't that what makes a genre a genre? If I wanted an FPS, shouldn't I want to shoot things and hope my twitch reactions pay off? Why wouldn't I want my MMORPG to have good strategy and team building?).

 

And as for the themepark talk, I can understand the implications, but I think that this game has many elements that don't coincide with that label. Mount raising, additional skills, attribute point allocation, on-the-fly class changing, while much of the game could be considered "themepark", there are just as many elements to make your character and your experience unique, and if you're argument is "well, of course there is going to be a best build," then you're just cheating yourself out of the experience of making your own character. I say that completely straightfaced, if you just jump on a website and just find a build and use it exactly how they say, then complain that everyone is the same, then you're part of the problem.

 

Maybe this game won't be for the majority of the MMO market today, and it certainly won't be a "WoW-killer" or anything like that, but I find it solid enough already to be my new MMO for a while, and I think the community that sticks around will be happy with their decision. I'm not looking for a sandbox where I can have dreams of shaping and trying to take over the world in my own image. PVP is not the major reason I play. Hardcore raiding and endgame never appealed that much to me, I like the idea that if I have decent plans on any given night, endgame can take a day off and it'll still be there tomorrow. What this game does have, is what I'm hoping to be a solid community that enjoys the gameplay and wants to work together, in a setting I like with characters I enjoy. And that's enough for me.

+1 to you! I feel the same way!

+2

  Alders

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/28/10
Posts: 1732

I cannot fiddle but I can make a great state of a small city.

6/23/13 4:07:15 PM#24

I've gone from the biggest hater of 1.0 to completely shocked at how much the game has improved in 2.0.

I do have some issues:
  • Needs more emphasis on group play
  • Invisible walls hinder exploration
  • Needs more classes (Dark Knight, Thief, Samurai)
  • Needs a better character creator (hairstyles are limited)
  • Being locked to 1 weapon is a bummer
 
Some of these can obviously be expanded on and will at some point, so i can look past them for now.  I'm thoroughly impressed with how far the game has come and will be supporting it come release.  Hopefully the housing system and raiding are fleshed out because i could see myself doing either for a long time.
  Mtibbs1989

Elite Member

Joined: 12/17/10
Posts: 2826

6/23/13 4:07:30 PM#25
I own the game and will definitely be playing the game when it goes live.


Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

  Cymdai

Novice Member

Joined: 6/05/05
Posts: 1087

It's my job to be objective, it's my right to have an opinion.

6/23/13 4:15:21 PM#26

I've already got my pre-order.

That being said, I don't think this game will retain as many people as it attracts. I'm betting on like a 40% retention rate. You can just see the shift in attitudes on a lot of the forums, and the luster of "NEW GAME!" is wearing off for a lot of people, and the reality of "We've done a lot of this before in other games..." is setting in.

Regardless, I'm going to roll my character on ULTROS when P4 begins, and start a free company. I'm in it for the long haul, and if you are going to be too, then feel free to join me :)

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

  Dfix

Novice Member

Joined: 4/18/12
Posts: 256

6/23/13 4:21:16 PM#27
Originally posted by WATSKI

And since it seems 4 is going to be the magic number for groups

It starts off as 4 man for some of the story quests and group leves but most dungeon content later on is 8 man. 

Vivik-Cerberus

  redcapp

Novice Member

Joined: 5/13/11
Posts: 733

6/23/13 4:39:22 PM#28
Originally posted by Cymdai

I've already got my pre-order.

That being said, I don't think this game will retain as many people as it attracts. I'm betting on like a 40% retention rate. You can just see the shift in attitudes on a lot of the forums, and the luster of "NEW GAME!" is wearing off for a lot of people, and the reality of "We've done a lot of this before in other games..." is setting in.

Regardless, I'm going to roll my character on ULTROS when P4 begins, and start a free company. I'm in it for the long haul, and if you are going to be too, then feel free to join me :)

True, however  (saying this as someone who *isn't* a big fan of the game so far) I feel like it has been QUITE a while since we've seen such a positive reaction to a new MMO.  This will be interesting to watch.  The fans that do enjoy it seem to be quite loyal, and SE is certainly dedicated to the project.

  Calypsx

Novice Member

Joined: 5/24/13
Posts: 38

6/23/13 5:07:16 PM#29
Originally posted by Dfix
Originally posted by WATSKI

And since it seems 4 is going to be the magic number for groups

It starts off as 4 man for some of the story quests and group leves but most dungeon content later on is 8 man. 

I really prefer the 4 man groups myself, the smaller groups give a more heroic feel and it gives me major FF3 vibes which is my favorite. The classic 4 warriors of light.

Though 8 doesn't sound to shabby either, I just really don't like raids in games to be honest, I feel.. disconnected from the boss fights if there are too many people fighting.

  Etherignis

Novice Member

Joined: 6/28/12
Posts: 242

6/23/13 5:11:59 PM#30
Awesome game!!!
  WATSKI

Novice Member

Joined: 3/15/12
Posts: 37

6/23/13 5:51:01 PM#31

Originally posted by Alders

I've gone from the biggest hater of 1.0 to completely shocked at how much the game has improved in 2.0.

I do have some issues:
  • Needs more emphasis on group play
  • Invisible walls hinder exploration
  • Needs more classes (Dark Knight, Thief, Samurai)
  • Needs a better character creator (hairstyles are limited)
  • Being locked to 1 weapon is a bummer
 
Some of these can obviously be expanded on and will at some point, so i can look past them for now.  I'm thoroughly impressed with how far the game has come and will be supporting it come release.  Hopefully the housing system and raiding are fleshed out because i could see myself doing either for a long time.
I agree on the emphasis on group play, but I do think they made some major strides since 1.0, and the invisible walls are a little annoying but at least there is jumping now. As for the extra classes, FFXI only started with 6 (Warrior, Black and White Mage, Red mage, Thief, and Monk) with very few unlockables. They always add more in expansion packs, so it's more of a "we'll have to wait and see" kind of thing. They are adding more classes than we even saw in the beta though, so I can't complain.
 
As for the hairstyles, my only explanation for that could be that this is a more eastern-style MMO, and though I cannot find my source at the moment, I've seen polls where eastern players prefer conformity, while most western players lean towards feeling unique. I find it to be a good compromise at the moment, but I can also see why you'd want more. It was the same thing with the armor, throughout the beta I heard people complain about how the armor looked, but it's more eastern inspired than what we think of where western players believe all tanks have to be decked out in armor.
 
And for 1 weapon thing, yeah I am not a fan, but I'm okay with it considering it gives me a quick class switch rather than FFXI where I had to run back, go to my room, and then change classes.
 
 

Originally posted by Dfix

Originally posted by WATSKI

/snip

It starts off as 4 man for some of the story quests and group leves but most dungeon content later on is 8 man. 

 

I'm fine with this, as long as the later dungeon content is more endgame/raid content. I enjoy leveling more than endgame, and being able to just find 3 other like minded people makes me happy, while I can call upon other friends to do the end stuff.

 

Aim Small, Miss Small.

  skyexile

Novice Member

Joined: 8/14/07
Posts: 701

6/23/13 6:42:36 PM#32


Originally posted by Alders
I've gone from the biggest hater of 1.0 to completely shocked at how much the game has improved in 2.0. I do have some issues:
  • Needs more emphasis on group play
  • Invisible walls hinder exploration
  • Needs more classes (Dark Knight, Thief, Samurai) Needs a better character creator (hairstyles are limited) Being locked to 1 weapon is a bummer
  Some of these can obviously be expanded on and will at some point, so i can look past them for now.  I'm thoroughly impressed with how far the game has come and will be supporting it come release.  Hopefully the housing system and raiding are fleshed out because i could see myself doing either for a long time.

Needs more emphasis on group play? ...what level did you get to?

SKYeXile
TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

  Kayo83

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/29/13
Posts: 148

6/23/13 10:10:27 PM#33
Already pre-ordered CE, definitely glad I did, counting the days to open beta so I can start already!
  Margulis

Advanced Member

Joined: 12/14/08
Posts: 1643

6/23/13 10:44:13 PM#34
Gave the beta a try - hated Final Fantasy XI and the first incantation of XIV.  After a day preordered.  So yeah, it's pretty good.
  fiontar

Novice Member

Joined: 4/07/04
Posts: 3711

6/23/13 11:42:51 PM#35

I own the CE from the original release and played for a few months before giving up. When they suspended subs, I played a week, but couldn't even make myself play it for free.

ARR Beta.

Well, sort of back in the same boat. I couldn't make myself play it for more than a few hours, even for free, so no chance of resubscribing.

The new game zones, from what I did get to see, are much, much better in design and more organic. Probably the most beautiful thing about ARR is the new zones. They also succeeded in making the game look and feel like Final Fantasy. The original release had none of that, but it has been corrected. I'm also happy to report the game has a lot more content than before.

However, the already poor combat from the original release has been made painfully worse with ARR. Most of the new content is in the form of the most droll, mundane and vapid "kill ten rats", "deliver ten rats tails here" variety of stale, old MMO quests. There is now less freedom in leveling up different classes with your character, no improvement has been made to the lack of variety of armor and weapon skins and the mob AI is even worse than before, if that is even possible. Mob placement is also worse. The zones are ten times better, but the beauty get's lost in the clumps of mobs standing around waiting to be killed.

I'm also not sure what's going on with the graphics. The zones look better than ever, but the characters look much more cartoonish with the flat shaders and apparently less detailed textures.

Players gave SE a pretty clear list of deficiencies with the original release. SE basically admitted the game was crap and asked for a chance to make it right. Well, yes, they made great strides on the game world and adding the feel that this was a Final Fantasy game, but it's still a game much more suited to 2002, than 2012, with combat that will drive most players of more actiony MMO combat completely insane.

People looking for a truly old school MMO, with no real improvements over games of a decade ago other than visual presentation, may find this game worth playing. I thinks it's going to be a fairly small, niche segment of the MMO market and after 2 1/2 year of working on ARR, SE is probably going to find that the new iteration is as out of date for it's time as the original release was. Unfortunately, it probably isn't going to be much more of a financial success either.

It's too bad, because I held out some small hope for the game, only to find myself even more disappointed than I was with the original release.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

2 Pages « 1 2 Search