Trending Games | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Star Wars: The Old Republic | EverQuest | Pirate101

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,901,288 Users Online:0
Games:753  Posts:6,271,780
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Angry Birds Epic Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Ascend: Hand of Kul Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Boot Hill Heroes Borderlands 2 Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Bound by Flame Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Bravada Bravely Default Bravely Second Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Cast & Conquer Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Child of Light Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Cyberpunk 2077 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark Souls 2 Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Dead Island Dead Island 2 Dead Island: Riptide Deco Online Deep Down Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Divinity: Original Sin Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Age: Inquisition Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Fin Soup Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Drakengard 3 Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dungeon of the Endless Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout 4 Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Fearless Fantasy Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken Uprising Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Heart Forth Alicia Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes & Legends: Conquerors of Kolhar Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Atlan Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings Era Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online Kyn L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Redemption LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Lichdom: Battlemage Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lords of the Fallen Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance Mass Effect 4 MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms Might & Magic X: Legacy MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Moonrise Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mythborne Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Oort Online Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Persona V Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pillars of Eternity Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints Pokémon X and Y PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Prodigy Project Blackout Project Gorgon Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Project Zomboid Puzzle Pirates Quest for Infamy Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rail Nation Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of Sierra Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Risen 3: Titan Lords Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sacred 3 Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Chance Heroes Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow Realms Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowgate Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian South Park: The Stick of Truth Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Starbound Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Stormthrone Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Styx: Master of Shadows Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online TUG Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Terraria Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Banner Saga The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Epic Might The Hammers End The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2 The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Torment: Tides of Numenera Total Domination Transformers Universe Transistor Transverse Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Warflare Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune Wasteland 2 WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenoblade Chronicles: X Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

Camelot Unchained

Camelot Unchained 

General Discussion  » Any other DAOCers holding back?

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search
75 posts found
  Niix_Ozek

Novice Member

Joined: 2/26/13
Posts: 404

4/11/13 10:09:29 AM#61

I am an old DAOC player and i'm holding out.

I don't have any concerns about their technical ability to pull off a game like they're advertising.

I am exstatic about another 3 realm game with norse/tdd/arthurian lore, best for a game imo as the best mmo games are magic / sword / shield type games.

They are saying a lot of things right and i'm super excited about the possibilities.

However ...

There are unanswered questions that would change things drastically that I'm hoping they answer but doubt they will, the questions I want answered could split their backers in two and if they choose one way before the kickstarter ends and they get the money those people could pull out tanking the system.

Number one on that list is a hot topic of late after the latest video - Collision Detection.

I hear all over the comments threads and through these forums previously that: 

-a PVP game doesn't make sense without collision detection

-CD adds so much more tactics to battles

-a tank class is pointless without CD

There may be other little reasons, but generalized these are what I'm reading... ( correct me if i'm wrong )

As for them, I believe they are completely inaccurate and are very single minded thinking trying to justify CD because it makes it feel "more real" to them ...

-Most PVP games in the world don't have CD and besides you people finding excuses why you died (ex. "DUDE RAN RIGHT THROUGH ME THAT'S SO STUPID UNFAIR /quit" ) There is no logical reason why a game ( A FCKING GAME ) can't be fun / succcessful with or without CD.

-This one is the most frustrating, because of the argument "as it gives tanks something to do" all good pvp games i've played tanks always had a role  ( give them some dps utility in an alernate form (slow 2hander, shield utility defensive peeling utility )).

In fact more to this point is it gives you a lot more options in terms of things to do in keep defense / attacking other then just pushing your shield to stop people coming through ... all this does is linearize how all keep battles turn into, theres maybe not less tactics and def not more, but it forces both sides to just beat tank walls back and forth until someone wins... theres ZERO accountability for range / healer positioning, as long as they're behind tank wall they are safe as a baby ( isn't that what we're trying to accomplish?? acountability? )

Without CD i've had many a keep battles where in fact you fought head on pushing each other back and forth, but you also have other options to have groups flank into the heart of the keep causing more chaos and punishing those casters/healers that arn't prepared and are in bad positions. Also enables small organized groups to be able to zerg bust more effectively as it is impossible for them to do anything if 5 tanks standing in the door.

In my mind all I see is CD lowering the tactical options for attacking realms and forcing all battles to play out the same, which gets boring no?

It's not hard to give tanks abilities / skills to make them fun / beneficial to the game instead of adding a mechanic like CD that drastically alters how the combat will play out.

 

I don't expect an answer about CD, because of the reason above but I will be holding out for as much information as possible for me to be able to see the direction the combat in this game will go. I care not about models and how "pretty" they look, or if they are exactly like a book in norse lore, or what not.

I want fun, challenging, un-predictable combat ... and no matter what anyone says without that people will not stay with a game long.

Ozek - DAOC
Niix - Other games that sucked

  Edany

Novice Member

Joined: 3/22/13
Posts: 187

4/11/13 10:25:38 AM#62

Hmm...

I have been all for CD and rather enjoyed the implications of it in WAR. That said, I never played a tank and I never played a caster. Honestly, after reading your post I can definitely see the case made against it, especially in light of the limitations put on tanks vs. functionality. I will be re-thinking my position of supporting it for sure. Good input.

Maybe if you like the concept of the game, but can't see throwing serious money behind it, pitch in a $1 pledge to show interest but not full support?

  Tumblebutz

Novice Member

Joined: 2/20/13
Posts: 338

4/11/13 10:32:54 AM#63
Originally posted by Tanemund

Personally I think it was the separation of PvE and RvR that made DAoC great.  Before Shrouded Isle the only impact PvE had on RvR was character level and the best armor drops you could get, which was epic armor.  If you wanted to PvE without interruption you could do it in your realm.  Well and good.  You could get your levels and armor without being subject to interruption by enemies.

 

If you wanted to PvE with the excitement of possibly getting ganked by an enemy you could go out on one of the three frontiers.  It gave PvE a little extra pop because you knew when you went out there you were taking your life in your hands and enemies out there could wait until you pulled monsters and then gank you during the fight giving you an XP death and a grave you probably couldn't reach.

 

And if you wanted to RvR you hit the frontiers (meaning you probably ran to Emain) and did your thing.

 

RvR deaths didn't set you back with an XP death penalty.  You could PvE your butt off at level 50 and yet pretty much everyone had what everyone else had when it came to armor and arms.  Once a toon hit 50 and got its epic gear, it was pretty much done as far as PvE was concerned.  There weren't many raids or bosses to kill to get better gear and truthfully if you wanted to make your level 50 toon more powerful then the only way to do it was to RvR and get realm ranks to get realm abilities.  The separation kept things fairly even.  Most folks didn't even PvE with their level 50s because they didn't want to wear out their Epic Armor killing monsters.  Instead we parked our level 50 in a boarder keep and roled an alt to play while we waited for our next run in RvR or the next Call to Arms.  (And if you were a Hib your bound in Tir na mBeo so you could get a horse ride back to the boarder keep when you got killed in RvR.  If you were a Mid you bound in Huginfeld.  I never played Alb before they put the bindstones in the boarder keeps).

 

With Shrouded Isles the separation began to break down a bit.  The new zones added new quests and PvE content that produced items that helped even level 50 toons become more powerful.  Used in conjunction with spellcrafting (the ability to imbue stats on player made armor and weapons) these new PvE items helped all the level 50s maximize their stats and resists.  It took a bit but pretty soon everyone's level 50s had maxed out and were tear assing around the frontier again.  With toons that hit level 50 after SI came out, you simply planned these SI quests and PvE content into your regular leveling from 1 to 50 and the only difference between that toon and the toon that had been RvRing for a few months was realm rank, which you got by doing RvR not PvE.

 

Then Trials of Atlantis hit and the wall between PvE and PvP came crashing down.  We were told that Trials of Atlantis would only make small "linear" changes to level 50 characters.  We were told that Trials of Atlantis wouldn't be necessary to RvR.  Trials of Atlantis added 10 new levels to the game, but instead of being honest and raising the level cap, Mythic called them Master Levels 1 - 10 and you gained them by doing 10 (one for each level) four to twelve hour PvE raids.  On top of that Mythic added Relic encounters where you could get items that had huge bonuses by completeing a task (usually killing some boss somewhere) and then you had to level the item up by doing MORE PvE activities (killing demon type mobs for example).

 

At first most people just dabbled with Trials of Atlantis.  That was until the first group with three High Master Level Mana specced Enchanters templated in artifacts so their stats were completely blown out of proportion set up two or three Power Fonts in a keep's lord room and began to blow entire realms worth of enemies into smoking piles of flesh.  My group used to laugh and call it Focus Pulling Albs (the realm of Albion had the biggest population on our server) and it was fun for about a week.  Our realm ranks soared to previously unheard of heights and we could pretty much shut down any frontier we wanted by hitting a choke point, setting up shop and spamming the "1" key.  Then, frankly, it got boring.  There was no great skill involved beyond the fact that I could do simple math to formulate a template and the fact that the job I had when I first picked up the game and the lack of a family allowed me long hours of uninterrupted playing time.  Once I spent the time it was a simple matter of getting in the right place and pushing the same key over and over until all the people with red names were either dead or running away.  It was like playing in God Mode and for a while people didn't come out to the frontiers to play when we were out.  This complete inequity offended the hell out of people.

 

The most offended were those that had been playing since release (Yo!) and had been RvRing for two years prior to the release of ToA.  Suddenely your level 50 realm rank six whatever that had served you well since 2001 was simply cannon fodder for those that were ML10 and templated with artifacts.  Without doing the Trials of Atlantis PvE you didn't stand a chance in RvR.  So people reacted in one of two ways.

 

Those with the time to do it (remember we're talking about raiding here.  No doing it in nice clean 1 hour bites.  You had to sit at your comp for 4 to 10 hours straight when ToA first came out.  AND you'd better be available when the raid started because there was no catching up once it got rolling.  AND you needed 10 to 25 of your closest friends with you to finish most of these raids.  AND all of this assumes you don't wipe, lose half the people in the raid to Real Life and have to start all over.) hit content in Trials of Atlantis with renewed vigor.  The ground through the raids and ground up their artifacts to template their toons and a few months later they came back to the frontiers.

 

Those without the time quit the game.  In the end that's what got me.  We decided we needed to change toons to make a stronger RvR group (This was the beginning of the age of the Determination Tank) and I decided I couldn't afford the time to go from level 1 to 50 (the average time was 15 to 20 days /played to reach level 50 back then) and spend more time doing Trials of Atlantis stuff.  I had a new family and I just couldn't spend four to six hours a day parked in front of my computer anymore. 

 

Around that time City of Heroes came out and I decided to give that a try since it was much more "casual player" friendly.

 

I know that Mythic made "Classic servers" without ToA and I know they've dumbed down ToA rediculously since I played but the wall between PvE and RvR has stayed broken and to me that was the death knell of the game.  It's possible for a game to have great PvE and great PvP, but as soon as one area crosses over and becomes necessary to be competative in the other area beyond normal leveling up, then the game goes from skill based to a contest of who can afford the Real Life time to plow through the content.

 

Just my two coppers.  YMMV.

Best.

Post.

Ever.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

  meddyck

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/18/08
Posts: 1134

4/11/13 10:42:55 AM#64
DAOC didn't have collision detection, and WAR did. That by itself makes me lean against it especially if it has a big impact on server or client performance (which it surely does). We would never have gotten through the AMG in Emain (or taken a keep) in DAOC if it had had CD and Hibs could have just stacked their tanks in front of the gate with PBAERs right behind them and healers off to the side untouchable. It would have been a totally different and much less fun game with CD. I guess I'm on the side of those who would prefer it not be in CU although I'm willing to see how it plays with CD in beta if CSE feels strongly about it being included.

Camelot Unchained Backer
DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

  Niix_Ozek

Novice Member

Joined: 2/26/13
Posts: 404

4/11/13 10:51:08 AM#65
Originally posted by Edany

Hmm...

I have been all for CD and rather enjoyed the implications of it in WAR. That said, I never played a tank and I never played a caster. Honestly, after reading your post I can definitely see the case made against it, especially in light of the limitations put on tanks vs. functionality. I will be re-thinking my position of supporting it for sure. Good input.

Maybe if you like the concept of the game, but can't see throwing serious money behind it, pitch in a $1 pledge to show interest but not full support?

I could, but there's no purpose behind that yet unless I wanted to talk in the comments thread. If i put in a dollar to up the backers count it solves nothing as the $ value is all that matters in the end.

To get this over teh finish line looking at the trends will we have to continue as is without bad days of drop and a big rush at the end. I shall fit into the big rush at the end unless information comes to light earlier.

 

 

Ozek - DAOC
Niix - Other games that sucked

  Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Joined: 9/13/06
Posts: 19249

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

4/11/13 1:57:52 PM#66
Originally posted by Tumblebutz
Originally posted by Tanemund

Personally I think it was the separation of PvE and RvR that made DAoC great.  Before Shrouded Isle the only impact PvE had on RvR was character level and the best armor drops you could get, which was epic armor.  If you wanted to PvE without interruption you could do it in your realm.  Well and good.  You could get your levels and armor without being subject to interruption by enemies.

 

If you wanted to PvE with the excitement of possibly getting ganked by an enemy you could go out on one of the three frontiers.  It gave PvE a little extra pop because you knew when you went out there you were taking your life in your hands and enemies out there could wait until you pulled monsters and then gank you during the fight giving you an XP death and a grave you probably couldn't reach.

 

And if you wanted to RvR you hit the frontiers (meaning you probably ran to Emain) and did your thing.

 

RvR deaths didn't set you back with an XP death penalty.  You could PvE your butt off at level 50 and yet pretty much everyone had what everyone else had when it came to armor and arms.  Once a toon hit 50 and got its epic gear, it was pretty much done as far as PvE was concerned.  There weren't many raids or bosses to kill to get better gear and truthfully if you wanted to make your level 50 toon more powerful then the only way to do it was to RvR and get realm ranks to get realm abilities.  The separation kept things fairly even.  Most folks didn't even PvE with their level 50s because they didn't want to wear out their Epic Armor killing monsters.  Instead we parked our level 50 in a boarder keep and roled an alt to play while we waited for our next run in RvR or the next Call to Arms.  (And if you were a Hib your bound in Tir na mBeo so you could get a horse ride back to the boarder keep when you got killed in RvR.  If you were a Mid you bound in Huginfeld.  I never played Alb before they put the bindstones in the boarder keeps).

 

With Shrouded Isles the separation began to break down a bit.  The new zones added new quests and PvE content that produced items that helped even level 50 toons become more powerful.  Used in conjunction with spellcrafting (the ability to imbue stats on player made armor and weapons) these new PvE items helped all the level 50s maximize their stats and resists.  It took a bit but pretty soon everyone's level 50s had maxed out and were tear assing around the frontier again.  With toons that hit level 50 after SI came out, you simply planned these SI quests and PvE content into your regular leveling from 1 to 50 and the only difference between that toon and the toon that had been RvRing for a few months was realm rank, which you got by doing RvR not PvE.

 

Then Trials of Atlantis hit and the wall between PvE and PvP came crashing down.  We were told that Trials of Atlantis would only make small "linear" changes to level 50 characters.  We were told that Trials of Atlantis wouldn't be necessary to RvR.  Trials of Atlantis added 10 new levels to the game, but instead of being honest and raising the level cap, Mythic called them Master Levels 1 - 10 and you gained them by doing 10 (one for each level) four to twelve hour PvE raids.  On top of that Mythic added Relic encounters where you could get items that had huge bonuses by completeing a task (usually killing some boss somewhere) and then you had to level the item up by doing MORE PvE activities (killing demon type mobs for example).

 

At first most people just dabbled with Trials of Atlantis.  That was until the first group with three High Master Level Mana specced Enchanters templated in artifacts so their stats were completely blown out of proportion set up two or three Power Fonts in a keep's lord room and began to blow entire realms worth of enemies into smoking piles of flesh.  My group used to laugh and call it Focus Pulling Albs (the realm of Albion had the biggest population on our server) and it was fun for about a week.  Our realm ranks soared to previously unheard of heights and we could pretty much shut down any frontier we wanted by hitting a choke point, setting up shop and spamming the "1" key.  Then, frankly, it got boring.  There was no great skill involved beyond the fact that I could do simple math to formulate a template and the fact that the job I had when I first picked up the game and the lack of a family allowed me long hours of uninterrupted playing time.  Once I spent the time it was a simple matter of getting in the right place and pushing the same key over and over until all the people with red names were either dead or running away.  It was like playing in God Mode and for a while people didn't come out to the frontiers to play when we were out.  This complete inequity offended the hell out of people.

 

The most offended were those that had been playing since release (Yo!) and had been RvRing for two years prior to the release of ToA.  Suddenely your level 50 realm rank six whatever that had served you well since 2001 was simply cannon fodder for those that were ML10 and templated with artifacts.  Without doing the Trials of Atlantis PvE you didn't stand a chance in RvR.  So people reacted in one of two ways.

 

Those with the time to do it (remember we're talking about raiding here.  No doing it in nice clean 1 hour bites.  You had to sit at your comp for 4 to 10 hours straight when ToA first came out.  AND you'd better be available when the raid started because there was no catching up once it got rolling.  AND you needed 10 to 25 of your closest friends with you to finish most of these raids.  AND all of this assumes you don't wipe, lose half the people in the raid to Real Life and have to start all over.) hit content in Trials of Atlantis with renewed vigor.  The ground through the raids and ground up their artifacts to template their toons and a few months later they came back to the frontiers.

 

Those without the time quit the game.  In the end that's what got me.  We decided we needed to change toons to make a stronger RvR group (This was the beginning of the age of the Determination Tank) and I decided I couldn't afford the time to go from level 1 to 50 (the average time was 15 to 20 days /played to reach level 50 back then) and spend more time doing Trials of Atlantis stuff.  I had a new family and I just couldn't spend four to six hours a day parked in front of my computer anymore. 

 

Around that time City of Heroes came out and I decided to give that a try since it was much more "casual player" friendly.

 

I know that Mythic made "Classic servers" without ToA and I know they've dumbed down ToA rediculously since I played but the wall between PvE and RvR has stayed broken and to me that was the death knell of the game.  It's possible for a game to have great PvE and great PvP, but as soon as one area crosses over and becomes necessary to be competative in the other area beyond normal leveling up, then the game goes from skill based to a contest of who can afford the Real Life time to plow through the content.

 

Just my two coppers.  YMMV.

Best.

Post.

Ever.

Agreed, terrific summary of what went down with TOA and the "real" reason DAOC population tapered off hard, had very little to do with the release of WOW as Mark and others seem to believe. (just because something occurs at the same time doesn't mean the two events are directly related)

This was particularly horrid on Mordred when Torcan and maybe one other guild ground a few groups to ML-10 with max level artifacts and could not be stopped, no matter how big a zerg one threw at them. (heck at times you couldn't kill a single player, no matter how focused your assist train was.)

 

 

Arrogant, Condescending, Dismissive, Elitist, "Meany", you speak as if these are bad things?
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

  MasahikoKobe

Novice Member

Joined: 3/17/13
Posts: 51

4/11/13 2:43:10 PM#67
If anyone is still reading at this point. I do remember hearing that the sub isnt going to be the current going sub rate of 15. For a game like this i would expect it to be less.
  Edany

Novice Member

Joined: 3/22/13
Posts: 187

4/11/13 2:50:05 PM#68
Originally posted by MasahikoKobe
If anyone is still reading at this point. I do remember hearing that the sub isnt going to be the current going sub rate of 15. For a game like this i would expect it to be less.

That is correct. And the subscription price will be further discounted for Kickstarter backers.

  Hjamnr

Apprentice Member

Joined: 3/29/13
Posts: 174

4/11/13 2:52:46 PM#69
Originally posted by Niix_Ozek
Originally posted by Edany

Hmm...

I have been all for CD and rather enjoyed the implications of it in WAR. That said, I never played a tank and I never played a caster. Honestly, after reading your post I can definitely see the case made against it, especially in light of the limitations put on tanks vs. functionality. I will be re-thinking my position of supporting it for sure. Good input.

Maybe if you like the concept of the game, but can't see throwing serious money behind it, pitch in a $1 pledge to show interest but not full support?

I could, but there's no purpose behind that yet unless I wanted to talk in the comments thread. If i put in a dollar to up the backers count it solves nothing as the $ value is all that matters in the end.

To get this over teh finish line looking at the trends will we have to continue as is without bad days of drop and a big rush at the end. I shall fit into the big rush at the end unless information comes to light earlier.

 

 

No, the $$ amount is not all that matters.  # of backers is also a very important number. 

If 200 people donated $10,000 each, the game would be much less viable than if 100,000 people each donated $20.  You must remember that in addition to the money, this KS is also a test/poll to gauge player interest.

This reason is why you may see folks suggesting a $1 or $5 level choice for people who are on the fence.  It shows that you are interested in the proposed product, but waiting to see more.  Displaying the interest is key.

  EasymodeX

Novice Member

Joined: 3/28/13
Posts: 152

4/11/13 3:25:16 PM#70
Originally posted by Niix_Ozek

 

In my mind all I see is CD lowering the tactical options for attacking realms and forcing all battles to play out the same, which gets boring no?

It's not hard to give tanks abilities / skills to make them fun / beneficial to the game instead of adding a mechanic like CD that drastically alters how the combat will play out.

As long as the game is designed to support it, then CD adds depth to the combat -- period.

That condition is not trivial though.  There are technical limitations with CD (everything from the raw computing on the server, to client communications that can result in rubberbanding).

That aside, a PvP game can be successful without CD, no question.  That's not really a point of discussion, except by idiots.

The big deal is that the game combat system needs to incorporate sufficient play and counterplay, just like "everything else".

Everything else is the key point -- most combat mechanics have been around in dozens and dozens of games and have been refined enough such that players know what to expect in general.  Melee versus ranged combat for example -- how is melee ever supposed to win?  Nowadays, players expect dashes, teleports, leaps, sprint.  Melee tends to have more durability.  Range tends to be more glass.  Melee tends to have more DPS, or more burst, or both.  All these nuances of "melee vs. range" indicate a more robust and mature mechanic that has undergone a lot of tuning over the years and over the games.

 

Collision detection, not so much.  Fewer games have CD.  Fewer MMOs have CD.  So, CD is a less mature system.  Warhammer had a dozen patches which altered the combat mechanics surrounding CD -- AOE cap changes, morale changes, ally-CD changes, etc etc.  CD is a less "mature" mechanic in the genre of MMORPGs than other mechanics like "melee versus range".

 

However, that doesn't mean it's bad.  It is, in fact, a great mechanic, but it needs more attention and tuning since it's not done as often and has less precedent -- both on the developer side and on the player side (e.g. players have not had to deal with CD as long, so they don't know how to play against it as intuitively as melee vs. range).

 

That's all.  It's honestly not worth the ridiculous deluge of discussion and argument spawned in the other thread.  Simply put, it's a good mechanic if CU designs for it, if they balance for it, and if the client/server tech can handle it.  If not, then it's not a good mechanic.

  Binafus

Novice Member

Joined: 4/06/13
Posts: 208

4/11/13 3:35:25 PM#71
Originally posted by Varsheva

Former DAOC player here who has not yet supported the KS.

First off I do wish the team luck in the KS but I just wonder if the no-PVE decision was the best. I know a lot of people played DAOC because of the RvR but for me that was only one aspect. For me the best part was the dependency between RvR/PvE in the design as evidenced by the Darkess Falls megadungeon. I stayed with DAOC for something like a year (left just before TOA)  which was the longest stay in any MMO for me. 

For me I just can't support a PvP only game. Even PvP oriented games likes Shadowbane, Darkfall and Eve had/have a large PvE component. I know not having PvE content will save a ton of development time but you are talking a niche within a niche of people who will play which is being shown by the limited # people pledgeing, although they are pledgeing high amounts.

If they had said 'DAOC 2' I would be there in a heartbeat.. but a PvP only game, I will pass.  Just wondering who prevalent this might be in the former DAOC community?

 

DAOC Midgard - Bedevere server!

No PVE makes the game cheaper, less to mess with, easier to balance.

You can not be a niche game if you are going to do everything.

There are alot of free to play games now that you can get your feel of PVE for free the come play Camelot Unchained when you want some Great RvR

  Niix_Ozek

Novice Member

Joined: 2/26/13
Posts: 404

4/11/13 3:56:59 PM#72
Originally posted by EasymodeX
Originally posted by Niix_Ozek

 

In my mind all I see is CD lowering the tactical options for attacking realms and forcing all battles to play out the same, which gets boring no?

It's not hard to give tanks abilities / skills to make them fun / beneficial to the game instead of adding a mechanic like CD that drastically alters how the combat will play out.

As long as the game is designed to support it, then CD adds depth to the combat -- period.

That condition is not trivial though.  There are technical limitations with CD (everything from the raw computing on the server, to client communications that can result in rubberbanding).

That aside, a PvP game can be successful without CD, no question.  That's not really a point of discussion, except by idiots.

The big deal is that the game combat system needs to incorporate sufficient play and counterplay, just like "everything else".

Everything else is the key point -- most combat mechanics have been around in dozens and dozens of games and have been refined enough such that players know what to expect in general.  Melee versus ranged combat for example -- how is melee ever supposed to win?  Nowadays, players expect dashes, teleports, leaps, sprint.  Melee tends to have more durability.  Range tends to be more glass.  Melee tends to have more DPS, or more burst, or both.  All these nuances of "melee vs. range" indicate a more robust and mature mechanic that has undergone a lot of tuning over the years and over the games.

 

Collision detection, not so much.  Fewer games have CD.  Fewer MMOs have CD.  So, CD is a less mature system.  Warhammer had a dozen patches which altered the combat mechanics surrounding CD -- AOE cap changes, morale changes, ally-CD changes, etc etc.  CD is a less "mature" mechanic in the genre of MMORPGs than other mechanics like "melee versus range".

 

However, that doesn't mean it's bad.  It is, in fact, a great mechanic, but it needs more attention and tuning since it's not done as often and has less precedent -- both on the developer side and on the player side (e.g. players have not had to deal with CD as long, so they don't know how to play against it as intuitively as melee vs. range).

 

That's all.  It's honestly not worth the ridiculous deluge of discussion and argument spawned in the other thread.  Simply put, it's a good mechanic if CU designs for it, if they balance for it, and if the client/server tech can handle it.  If not, then it's not a good mechanic.

Adding more depth to combat sure it does, it just adds another obstacle to think about, but like I pointed out it removes other options as well so imo it doesn't make it any more or less tactical. Linear tactics have less options, with CD this game will for sure turn into the same proceedure while attacking keeps and defending, unless killing tanks is super easy in which case tanks will complain they arn't able to provide any benefit and you're back to square 1. Easier imo to remove it and balance a combat system around it ( not requiring knockbacks, pulls, etc.. ).

Also adding more depth to combat isn't always a good thing, many games over complicate combat ( imo leaps, pulls, knockbacks are these over complications ). I am and will always be a fan of simple is better, the more simple combat is the more fun / long lasting fun I have with it, I know you may not share this opinion as it is well ... an opinion.

I expect them to likely toy with CD at some point because of all the people asking, but from everything they say about having to reduce graphical enhancements to keep playability, I can see them dropping CD really fast if it has any sort of reasonable affect on performance. It should be decided early though as its a waste to develop spells and bother balancing how combat / melee and casters will interact as these things will have to be much different with and without CD.

 

I personally think this is a great point of discussion as it is a key piece of information that will take your combat system one direction vs. the other. This is one of the most important issues when designing a combat system, if you don't take it into account you will end up wasting resources fixing things when you get into beta, but that's not my decision to make. I just hope to keep the discussion going because everyone screaming for CD has a very linear thought process on why it's better and needed. Mis-information and lack of seeing the big picture is the largest challenge CSE will have when trying to listen to so many backers.

I hope they take everything people say in comment threads with a grain of salt and believe they will, don't think they are that foolish ... but that makes it hard keeping a niche market intact.

Ozek - DAOC
Niix - Other games that sucked

  Niix_Ozek

Novice Member

Joined: 2/26/13
Posts: 404

4/11/13 4:05:15 PM#73
Originally posted by Hjamnr
Originally posted by Niix_Ozek
Originally posted by Edany

Hmm...

I have been all for CD and rather enjoyed the implications of it in WAR. That said, I never played a tank and I never played a caster. Honestly, after reading your post I can definitely see the case made against it, especially in light of the limitations put on tanks vs. functionality. I will be re-thinking my position of supporting it for sure. Good input.

Maybe if you like the concept of the game, but can't see throwing serious money behind it, pitch in a $1 pledge to show interest but not full support?

I could, but there's no purpose behind that yet unless I wanted to talk in the comments thread. If i put in a dollar to up the backers count it solves nothing as the $ value is all that matters in the end.

To get this over teh finish line looking at the trends will we have to continue as is without bad days of drop and a big rush at the end. I shall fit into the big rush at the end unless information comes to light earlier.

 

 

No, the $$ amount is not all that matters.  # of backers is also a very important number. 

If 200 people donated $10,000 each, the game would be much less viable than if 100,000 people each donated $20.  You must remember that in addition to the money, this KS is also a test/poll to gauge player interest.

This reason is why you may see folks suggesting a $1 or $5 level choice for people who are on the fence.  It shows that you are interested in the proposed product, but waiting to see more.  Displaying the interest is key.

My point was me backing 1$ now and removing it, or backing 1-?? later there's no difference, until that kickstarter time ticks to zero whenever I add my donation will not matter. The only thing it satisfys is you people's curiousity.

There's plenty of time I wouldn't get too upset about it the path the kickstarter is on is a good sign for this project being backed.

Ozek - DAOC
Niix - Other games that sucked

  poisonman

Novice Member

Joined: 8/12/09
Posts: 59

4/11/13 11:22:40 PM#74

If you are at all interested in the game and say you will back the game once it is Funded or buy it when it is released.

Then why not help make sure it is Funded and Released and pledge $1 or $5 or for as low as $25 you get a copy of the game some free play time and beta access and some other things. 

I mean the game is going to be $50-$60 bucks when it comes out like every other game im sure, so you saving a bunch right there.  And if the Kickstarter doesn't Fund you are never charged anyways so there is no obligation or reason to worry.  

But atleast if you do back the game you will be helping get it a little bit closer to Funding.  I just don't understand if you are interested, why not?

Plus as a backer you get to help develop and shape the game through discussion, polls, feedback, testing, etc.

You get way more back in return then what you put in money wise, it is far better then pre-ordering or waiting till release and buying it, a lot cheaper if you do the low tiers and you get to help make the game.

Help the cause!

http://www.twitch.tv/PoIs0nMaN
http://www.twitter.com/PoIs0nMaN
http://www.facebook.com/PoIs0nMaN
http://www.youtube.com/PoIs0nMaN
http://steamcommunity.com/id/PoIsOnMaN
http://poisonman.wordpress.com/

  Varians

Novice Member

Joined: 2/07/13
Posts: 10

4/12/13 12:17:48 AM#75
I did daoc till I was numb, and im not holding back. My only concern is, how to balance CU vs. work
4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search