Trending Games | ArcheAge | Trove | WildStar | Forsaken Uprising

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,870,232 Users Online:0
Games:744  Posts:6,253,576
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Angry Birds Epic Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Ascend: Hand of Kul Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Boot Hill Heroes Borderlands 2 Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Bound by Flame Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Bravada Bravely Default Bravely Second Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Cast & Conquer Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Child of Light Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Cyberpunk 2077 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark Souls 2 Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Dead Island Dead Island 2 Dead Island: Riptide Deco Online Deep Down Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Divinity: Original Sin Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Age: Inquisition Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Fin Soup Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Drakengard 3 Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dungeon of the Endless Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout 4 Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Fearless Fantasy Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken Uprising Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Heart Forth Alicia Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes & Legends: Conquerors of Kolhar Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Atlan Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online Kyn L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Phoenix Edition LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Lichdom: Battlemage Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lords of the Fallen Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance Mass Effect 4 MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms Might & Magic X: Legacy MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Moonrise Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mythborne Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Persona V Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pillars of Eternity Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints Pokémon X and Y PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Prodigy Project Blackout Project Gorgon Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Project Zomboid Puzzle Pirates Quest for Infamy Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of Sierra Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Risen 3: Titan Lords Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sacred 3 Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Chance Heroes Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow Realms Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian South Park: The Stick of Truth Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Starbound Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Styx: Master of Shadows Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online TUG Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Terraria Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Banner Saga The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Epic Might The Hammers End The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2 The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Torment: Tides of Numenera Total Domination Transformers Universe Transistor Transverse Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune Wasteland 2 WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenoblade Chronicles: X Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

General Discussion

General Discussion 

The Pub at MMORPG.COM  » Why so many Haters? MMORPG your great:)

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
34 posts found
  Havekk

Hard Core Member

Joined: 7/14/08
Posts: 1369

4/01/13 11:12:20 AM#21
Originally posted by Psycospank
Originally posted by Praetalus
Originally posted by Psycospank

 

Three things I have noticed, Firstly there are a few members who feel it is there right to criticise the writers of this site, even today with the articles on GW2's new April fools update someone (who will remain nameless) need to tear down the editor of all people (thankfully Bill gave a little back) about how it wasn't okay to have so many articles on the same topic. Yet all the articles where presented by different writers all with differing views and knowledge. 

 

I had to do a double take on this one. Could you explain to me how the members of this site shouldn't have the right to criticise the writers of this site? Should we not have the right to state our opinions? Should we not invoke discussion? If people are tired of seeing articles regarding certain games, they don't have the right to voice their opinions? 

 

Just because someone is a "writer"... or an "editor" doesn't give them immunity from critique.. quite the contrary. I'm not saying I agree with what happen above.. As, I'm not even sure what happened, but it's ok to critique or argue a point on a forum based site. It's kind of the point. 

 

 

Sure; question, give your opinion, debate, discuss...say what you like within the scope of the forum, its not so much that someone doesnt have the right its more the thought that someone feels the right to go further than just question etc. No one is beyond reproach me included... As i stated before perhaps my examples are not great but my point isnt that people dont have the right to share but more that there seems to be more hate than discussion, this negativity rather than feedback or refinement. 

People have the right to hate also and I dont think for one second that this post will change that as has been stated this in some ways is part of the culture.

It just feels a bit more like bashing than a productive discussion...

So far I must say that everyone has given me good reason to believe that most are here to discuss things and have given some great thought provoking responses...appreciate the insight.

Yeah, but the problem is... feedback is often negative. There is no way to put a nice face on it. If my wife makes meatloaf again... and I give her the same "feedback" I gave last time, I will be single and have much more time to play games lol. 

 

One HUGE issue I have with this site and with a lot of the opinions posted by users is this whole "negativity" thing. Not everything is this world is sunshine and rainbows.. I agree, some people take it too far and are penalized for it with temp bans and whatnot. Giving feedback is often going to involve being negative if there are aspects about the game in questions in which you do not like. However, like youself, I give no quarter to name calling or excessive tomfoolery when being negative around here!

 

In short.. I see where you're coming from but it looks like a very judgemental post regarding certain users and a bit of apple-polishing to the site. 

 

  achesoma

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/05/05
Posts: 960

4/01/13 11:13:11 AM#22

You only noticed this in the past year?  Really?

 

Seriously, the entire internet is like this, on every forum, on any subject. 

  Jjix

Novice Member

Joined: 2/16/12
Posts: 135

4/01/13 11:28:44 AM#23

Many posters (and writers) here seem to be stuck in a timewarp.  There's nothing wrong with cherishing old-school games and gameplay but philosophically they're stuck in the old paradigm as well, still believing that individual games succeed or fail based on the success or failure of other individual games.  When there were three or four or five games calling themselves MMOs that may arguably have been the case but it's not that way now.  We don't, as a community, benefit from creating little themepark and sandbox and FFA and RvRvR and hardcore and carebear ghettoes for ourselves.  The genre transcends all these despite personal preferences. 

 

There are tens of millions of people playing MMOs or their cousins and they've come far enough in 20 years that the only excuse a game has for failing is simply not being good enough.  The overriding tendency to suggest that the reason the kind of game one wants to play isn't getting made is because of the existence of another kind of game is akin to suggesting that point-and-click adventures previously died out because of the success of RPGs instead of the inability for those adventure games to keep up with the changing tastes and demands of the audience they were trying to capture.  It's a timewarped mentality not in touch with today that doesn't see that there is room for all types of games and that, eventually, someone will make that great long-sought game.

 

 

On the one hand you are saying there is room for all types of games and that eventually the game some people are dreaming of will be made, but then in the same breath you admit that the type of game these same gamers are dreaming of isn't being made because it is dated and not in tune with the current tastes and demands of the community. Huh?

 

No, the truth is the success of some games, most notably WoW, have profoundly impacted the types of other games being made and how they are made. And while, yes, there are more games made today than in the past, the diversity of games is actually less because the success of WoW caused a massive rush to immitate its design philosophy. In the old days, the difference between SWG, Everquest, and Shadowbane were profound. Today, while there is definitely some diversity, many if not most of the games -- particularly if we are talking AAA titles -- are basically following the lead of some previous title, resulting in many clones and less diversity of game philosophy. For example, while there are a ton of Korean MMOs in the market -- certainly a lot to choose from -- they are all so similar to one enough we might just consider them just ONE game, maybe two. (Age of Wushu looks interesting . . . )

 

The reality is that when it comes to AAA games, they are so expensive to make these days that companies aren't willing to take huge risks. They want to stick with what they know (think) works. In that regard, there is actually less diversity. However, with the failure of SWTOR there has been a huge breaking up of the certainty over what works, offering a period of innovation and diversity similar to the 2nd gen mmorpgs. But that is precisely because one game, ONE GAME, failed. So I do think the success or failure of one game does make a huge difference to the rest of the market. 

 

Anyway . . . kind of off topic here.

  FromHell

Novice Member

Joined: 11/10/12
Posts: 1338

4/01/13 11:35:49 AM#24
Originally posted by KaiserPhoenix
headlines like " more kotor in swtor" followed by an article about new cartell shop items doesn't really scream unbiased quality journalism....

funny that you point that out.

 

I also thought "what, Pazzak? swoop racing maybe" ??

Nope, it was cash shop stuff. huh-hum.. :)

 

like Darth Haters and TORWars, "spectacular, mindblowing news, news so exciting our heads will explode" turned out not to be a space sim announcement, but the announcement of the *release date* of the additional planet.

 

 

Secrets of Dragon´s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s
.


.
The Return of ELITE !

  Psycospank

Novice Member

Joined: 7/10/03
Posts: 36

Creativity is the reason for Humanity

 
OP  4/01/13 11:37:57 AM#25
Originally posted by Praetalus

Yeah, but the problem is... feedback is often negative. There is no way to put a nice face on it. If my wife makes meatloaf again... and I give her the same "feedback" I gave last time, I will be single and have much more time to play games lol. 

 

One HUGE issue I have with this site and with a lot of the opinions posted by users is this whole "negativity" thing. Not everything is this world is sunshine and rainbows.. I agree, some people take it too far and are penalized for it with temp bans and whatnot. Giving feedback is often going to involve being negative if there are aspects about the game in questions in which you do not like. However, like youself, I give no quarter to name calling or excessive tomfoolery when being negative around here!

 

In short.. I see where you're coming from but it looks like a very judgemental post regarding certain users and a bit of apple-polishing to the site. 

 

Haha...more time for gaming you say hmmm.

All jokes aside the negativity thing can be the elephant in the room  and we skip around it but often it needs to be shared and nutted out. 

And your probably right I am a bit of a fan of MMORPG.com (apple polishing and all ;P) so there is a biase, but not without thought.

  Sovrath

Elite Member

Joined: 1/06/05
Posts: 17290

4/01/13 12:13:27 PM#26
Originally posted by Psycospank
 

 

Passion for a topic is a good start to any persons views. I have no problem in some one having a discussion or even being harsh...Haulling a game/organisation over the coals, if you will, in the hope of refining it into a better product. 

What I am really sharing is my disappointment with certain posters who seem to hate too much, seek to destroy not refine.

 

 

Well, there are several types of people.

Some are just "negative". That's who they are. In some cases they are angry disenfranchised people who are looking to lash out at something because of their own issues.

You then have people who have been burned one time too many. They see some of the issues in these games, the developers, the genre really, and when they hear the marketing pitch they assume (and in some cases rightly so) that it's another pitch for snake oil.

And then you have the isuse that this is a text based site. Meaning that just because someone says "x game is crap" they might not mean it to come off as an angry tirade but just a casual aside.

Also, as per another poster, I'm not convinced that this site is about taking kickbacks for a good review. There are players who strongly assert that if the review is good and it doesn't jive with what they believe or what is considered "common knowledge" on this site then somehow a bribe happened.

I have read many of the reviews on this site and they seem to be more close to genuine than not. Meaning, I get that these reviewers are earnest in their opinion. their spelling mistakes aside. However...

One caveat to that is that I can easily see someone saying "do the review and couch your language in such a way that it softens the negative".

Because it seems that there are members of this and other sites who take a rant for telling the truth and "being honest". You can completley lambaste something and not even break a sweat or seem like you are taking a sledgehammer to it.

Still, there is something to be said that some people are just blunt. that's who they are. And because everything is being done through text we are missing that.

 

  bliss14

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/01/11
Posts: 529

Ahh devil ether.

4/01/13 1:11:19 PM#27
Originally posted by Sovrath
Originally posted by Psycospank
 

 

Passion for a topic is a good start to any persons views. I have no problem in some one having a discussion or even being harsh...Haulling a game/organisation over the coals, if you will, in the hope of refining it into a better product. 

What I am really sharing is my disappointment with certain posters who seem to hate too much, seek to destroy not refine.

 

 

Well, there are several types of people.

Some are just "negative". That's who they are. In some cases they are angry disenfranchised people who are looking to lash out at something because of their own issues.

You then have people who have been burned one time too many. They see some of the issues in these games, the developers, the genre really, and when they hear the marketing pitch they assume (and in some cases rightly so) that it's another pitch for snake oil.

And then you have the isuse that this is a text based site. Meaning that just because someone says "x game is crap" they might not mean it to come off as an angry tirade but just a casual aside.

Also, as per another poster, I'm not convinced that this site is about taking kickbacks for a good review. There are players who strongly assert that if the review is good and it doesn't jive with what they believe or what is considered "common knowledge" on this site then somehow a bribe happened.

I have read many of the reviews on this site and they seem to be more close to genuine than not. Meaning, I get that these reviewers are earnest in their opinion. their spelling mistakes aside. However...

One caveat to that is that I can easily see someone saying "do the review and couch your language in such a way that it softens the negative".

Because it seems that there are members of this and other sites who take a rant for telling the truth and "being honest". You can completley lambaste something and not even break a sweat or seem like you are taking a sledgehammer to it.

Still, there is something to be said that some people are just blunt. that's who they are. And because everything is being done through text we are missing that.

 

Sovrath, you are too reasonable for the internet.

  thecapitaine

Elite Member

Joined: 3/06/11
Posts: 399

4/01/13 1:29:51 PM#28
Originally posted by Jjix

Many posters (and writers) here seem to be stuck in a timewarp.  There's nothing wrong with cherishing old-school games and gameplay but philosophically they're stuck in the old paradigm as well, still believing that individual games succeed or fail based on the success or failure of other individual games.  When there were three or four or five games calling themselves MMOs that may arguably have been the case but it's not that way now.  We don't, as a community, benefit from creating little themepark and sandbox and FFA and RvRvR and hardcore and carebear ghettoes for ourselves.  The genre transcends all these despite personal preferences. 

 

There are tens of millions of people playing MMOs or their cousins and they've come far enough in 20 years that the only excuse a game has for failing is simply not being good enough.  The overriding tendency to suggest that the reason the kind of game one wants to play isn't getting made is because of the existence of another kind of game is akin to suggesting that point-and-click adventures previously died out because of the success of RPGs instead of the inability for those adventure games to keep up with the changing tastes and demands of the audience they were trying to capture.  It's a timewarped mentality not in touch with today that doesn't see that there is room for all types of games and that, eventually, someone will make that great long-sought game.

 

 

On the one hand you are saying there is room for all types of games and that eventually the game some people are dreaming of will be made, but then in the same breath you admit that the type of game these same gamers are dreaming of isn't being made because it is dated and not in tune with the current tastes and demands of the community. Huh?

 I don't see how you got to that conclusion from what I said.  The statements "eventually the game some people are dreaming of will be made" and "the type of game these gamers are dreaming of isn't being made" are two separate and non-exclusive points.  The example I provided, namely that of point-and-click adventures, illustrates precisely what I mean.  They were among the forerunners of home computer games, they disappeared for awhile, now they are being made and played again.  One could argue that old-school gaming, as embodied  in EQ, DAOC, and UO, were the forerunners of today's MMOs, disappeared for awhile after WoW, and are making a similar comeback.  Not sure what's not clear.

ETA: Maybe it's the notion of the games being "dated and not in tune with current tastes" (your words) that you're taking issue with, perhaps?  If so, I still stand by what I said, though it's not meant as pejorative as maybe it came out.  Corpse runs, long waits on boats, harsh death penalties certainly did fall out of favor with mainsteam MMO gaming, along with spawn camping, mob grinding and many other aspects of those original games.  To a greater extent, much of those mechanics aren't ever going to make a popular comeback, even in newer games modeled on the old.  This next spate of old-school throwbacks will have to find a way to sate the hunger for creating virtual worlds with consequence and freedom but will probably do so using entirely new ways.  Much in the same way as newfangled adventure games employ quick-time events, cinematic cut-scenes, and other advancements while still hearkening back to yesteryear.

No, the truth is the success of some games, most notably WoW, have profoundly impacted the types of other games being made and how they are made. And while, yes, there are more games made today than in the past, the diversity of games is actually less because the success of WoW caused a massive rush to immitate its design philosophy. In the old days, the difference between SWG, Everquest, and Shadowbane were profound. Today, while there is definitely some diversity, many if not most of the games -- particularly if we are talking AAA titles -- are basically following the lead of some previous title, resulting in many clones and less diversity of game philosophy. For example, while there are a ton of Korean MMOs in the market -- certainly a lot to choose from -- they are all so similar to one enough we might just consider them just ONE game, maybe two. (Age of Wushu looks interesting . . . )

Again, I disagree.  The notion that LOTRO and STO and TERA and GW2 and EVE and WoW and SWTOR and The Secret World and Wizards 101 and many, many others can all be given the same "WoW-clone" moniker tells me that either the definition of WoW-clone is so broad as to lack meaningful boundaries or is simply a method of conveniently dismissing the very real differences between them to reinforce an broadly-held, rarely scrutinized opinion.  Beyond the fact that Everquest, UO, DAOC, and other genre starters still exist, it's simply untrue that there is less variety in MMO now than there was back then.  It may not be the type of variety that one person enjoys, it may not be a true emulation or update of kinds of gameplay that the genres forefathers created, but it's a fact that the MMO space is more diverse than ever, not less, the differences between various games at one spectrum and the other even further amplified than before.

 

The reality is that when it comes to AAA games, they are so expensive to make these days that companies aren't willing to take huge risks. They want to stick with what they know (think) works. In that regard, there is actually less diversity. However, with the failure of SWTOR there has been a huge breaking up of the certainty over what works, offering a period of innovation and diversity similar to the 2nd gen mmorpgs. But that is precisely because one game, ONE GAME, failed. So I do think the success or failure of one game does make a huge difference to the rest of the market. 

 

Anyway . . . kind of off topic here.

I didn't mean to imply that success of a game has no bearing or impact on the industry.  I took pains to make it clear that the success of a single game does not necessarily impact positively or negative the success or failure of another individual game.  It's the nature of both art and business to see what's come before and borrow (sometimes liberally) but the suggestion that somehow SWTOR failed because of WoW or that Neverwinter's success or failure relies on the existence of WoW is a hollow argument.  Yes, WoW helped define the genre, in much the same way as Baldur's Gate defined CRPGs and DOOM defined shooters.  The comparisons will be there; features that seem to work will be iterated upon and brought into new titles.  However, the success of a game relies on its own implementation, its own creativity, it's own fun.

  Jjix

Novice Member

Joined: 2/16/12
Posts: 135

4/01/13 8:38:43 PM#29
Originally posted by thecapitaine

 I don't see how you got to that conclusion from what I said.  The statements "eventually the game some people are dreaming of will be made" and "the type of game these gamers are dreaming of isn't being made" are two separate and non-exclusive points.  The example I provided, namely that of point-and-click adventures, illustrates precisely what I mean.  They were among the forerunners of home computer games, they disappeared for awhile, now they are being made and played again.  One could argue that old-school gaming, as embodied  in EQ, DAOC, and UO, were the forerunners of today's MMOs, disappeared for awhile after WoW, and are making a similar comeback.  Not sure what's not clear.

ETA: Maybe it's the notion of the games being "dated and not in tune with current tastes" (your words) that you're taking issue with, perhaps?  If so, I still stand by what I said, though it's not meant as pejorative as maybe it came out.  Corpse runs, long waits on boats, harsh death penalties certainly did fall out of favor with mainsteam MMO gaming, along with spawn camping, mob grinding and many other aspects of those original games.  To a greater extent, much of those mechanics aren't ever going to make a popular comeback, even in newer games modeled on the old.  This next spate of old-school throwbacks will have to find a way to sate the hunger for creating virtual worlds with consequence and freedom but will probably do so using entirely new ways.  Much in the same way as newfangled adventure games employ quick-time events, cinematic cut-scenes, and other advancements while still hearkening back to yesteryear.

Alright, so the baby gets thrown out with the bathwater. But the critical thing is that the baby got thrown out. When a game, like WoW, that has thrown out the baby meets overwhelming success, the debate naturally becomes whether the baby really was a baby, or was just bathwater. This is an important debate to be had, and the essence of WoW bashing. The success of WoW meant many of the amazing features of pre-WoW games got tossed aside for a generation before developers began to reexamine them. Sure, eventually they did, but that is just the good guys winning the war.

No, the truth is the success of some games, most notably WoW, have profoundly impacted the types of other games being made and how they are made. And while, yes, there are more games made today than in the past, the diversity of games is actually less because the success of WoW caused a massive rush to immitate its design philosophy. In the old days, the difference between SWG, Everquest, and Shadowbane were profound. Today, while there is definitely some diversity, many if not most of the games -- particularly if we are talking AAA titles -- are basically following the lead of some previous title, resulting in many clones and less diversity of game philosophy. For example, while there are a ton of Korean MMOs in the market -- certainly a lot to choose from -- they are all so similar to one enough we might just consider them just ONE game, maybe two. (Age of Wushu looks interesting . . . )

Again, I disagree.  The notion that LOTRO and STO and TERA and GW2 and EVE and WoW and SWTOR and The Secret World and Wizards 101 and many, many others can all be given the same "WoW-clone" moniker tells me that either the definition of WoW-clone is so broad as to lack meaningful boundaries or is simply a method of conveniently dismissing the very real differences between them to reinforce an broadly-held, rarely scrutinized opinion.  Beyond the fact that Everquest, UO, DAOC, and other genre starters still exist, it's simply untrue that there is less variety in MMO now than there was back then.  It may not be the type of variety that one person enjoys, it may not be a true emulation or update of kinds of gameplay that the genres forefathers created, but it's a fact that the MMO space is more diverse than ever, not less, the differences between various games at one spectrum and the other even further amplified than before.

Lotro is a WoW clone with a few unique features. STO . . . I can't say much about having never played it. I can say the previous cryptic game, Champions Online, was a WoW clone (CoH was pre-WoW). Tera is a WoW/Korean clone with a cool combat system. Eve was made before WoW and belongs to the pre-WoW gen along with EQ, DAoC, and AO. Swtor is a WoW clone, the last true and most epic WoW clone imo. Don't know Wizards 101. GW2 (and perhaps Secret World?) is the first real 4th gen post-WoW game that represent this new exiting time, so it represents a diversification that lies beyond the horizon of influence of WoW.

Obviously if you include old games that few people play anymore, like EQ, there is more diverisity, then we are just piling the new on top of the old, so obviously there will be more. But really the question is how much diversity is there among the truely compelling games, not fringe games that don't matter. IMHO, everything between WoW and GW2 was more or less a WoW clone in regard to the essential themepark design focused around quests/missions, soloability, raiding, etc.  Look, I played WoW for a week, and then tried again a few years later and lasted a week . . . I learned the essence of WoW not from WoW, but from the large variety of games I tried, from Tabula Rasa and Auto Assault, to Age of Conan and Rift, and by talking to countless players who were constantly comparing everything to WoW. Now that we are leaving that period of time, following the disappointment of SWTOR and the arrival of GW2,  I expect diversity to explode . . . and I think the last year or so suggests that that may be true. But the very acronym 'mmorpg' has become synonymous with games that model most of their features after WoW. The new games have to break the mold.

 

The reality is that when it comes to AAA games, they are so expensive to make these days that companies aren't willing to take huge risks. They want to stick with what they know (think) works. In that regard, there is actually less diversity. However, with the failure of SWTOR there has been a huge breaking up of the certainty over what works, offering a period of innovation and diversity similar to the 2nd gen mmorpgs. But that is precisely because one game, ONE GAME, failed. So I do think the success or failure of one game does make a huge difference to the rest of the market. 

 

Anyway . . . kind of off topic here.

I didn't mean to imply that success of a game has no bearing or impact on the industry.  I took pains to make it clear that the success of a single game does not necessarily impact positively or negative the success or failure of another individual game.  It's the nature of both art and business to see what's come before and borrow (sometimes liberally) but the suggestion that somehow SWTOR failed because of WoW or that Neverwinter's success or failure relies on the existence of WoW is a hollow argument.  Yes, WoW helped define the genre, in much the same way as Baldur's Gate defined CRPGs and DOOM defined shooters.  The comparisons will be there; features that seem to work will be iterated upon and brought into new titles.  However, the success of a game relies on its own implementation, its own creativity, it's own fun.

Of course the success of the game depends on the quality of that game itself. The issue isn't whether game X succeeded or not because of game Y. The issue is whether companies would even dare to make game Z after witnessing the success or failure of game Y.

  Venger

Novice Member

Joined: 8/03/04
Posts: 1322

Help Fight Global Warming
Shut Your Mouth :D

4/02/13 10:53:19 AM#30
Humans in general are becoming bigger douche bags so I'm not really surprised.
  nariusseldon

Elite Member

Joined: 12/21/07
Posts: 19928

4/02/13 12:59:38 PM#31
Originally posted by achesoma

You only noticed this in the past year?  Really?

 

Seriously, the entire internet is like this, on every forum, on any subject. 

And often there are topics being negative on negativity. It is nothing new.

  Cephus404

Hard Core Member

Joined: 2/27/08
Posts: 3697

4/02/13 1:04:23 PM#32
Originally posted by tinuelle
Don't hate the players, hate the game :)

Generally, I do hate the players, they are the ones that generally make the games not worth playing.  It's the players who are racing to endgame.  It's the players who are trying to cheat everyone around them for their own personal advancement, who are trying to get ahead on the backs of anyone they can dick over, etc.  It isn't the games who can't spell, it isn't the games who spam chat channels, it isn't the games who are obnoxious little gits.  Most games would be fun if there was an altogether better class of players.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
Now Playing: None
Hope: None

  nariusseldon

Elite Member

Joined: 12/21/07
Posts: 19928

4/02/13 1:17:16 PM#33
Originally posted by Cephus404
Originally posted by tinuelle
Don't hate the players, hate the game :)

Generally, I do hate the players, they are the ones that generally make the games not worth playing.  It's the players who are racing to endgame.  It's the players who are trying to cheat everyone around them for their own personal advancement, who are trying to get ahead on the backs of anyone they can dick over, etc.  It isn't the games who can't spell, it isn't the games who spam chat channels, it isn't the games who are obnoxious little gits.  Most games would be fun if there was an altogether better class of players.

You invest emotionally into others you don't even like? Just use the ignore button. It is not like you have to play with them. Even in a PUG, you can always quit whenever you meet someone you don't like.

So what if others race to end-game. No one needs your approval to play a game. May be you should care less about how others enjoy their entertainment.

  MikeB

MMORPG.com Community Manager

Joined: 5/27/09
Posts: 5437

4/02/13 1:37:58 PM#34
Appreciate the intent, OP. But let's try to stick to discussing the games we all love (or hate!) and not the behavior of other users on the forums.

Michael "MikeB" Bitton
Community Manager
Twitter: @eMikeB

2 Pages « 1 2 Search