Trending Games | EverQuest | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,770 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,296,360
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Angry Birds Epic Anime Ninja Anime Pirates Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Ascend: Hand of Kul Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Boot Hill Heroes Borderlands 2 Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Bound by Flame Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Bravada Bravely Default Bravely Second Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Cast & Conquer Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Child of Light Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Cyberpunk 2077 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark Souls 2 Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Dead Island Dead Island 2 Dead Island: Riptide Deco Online Deep Down Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Divinity: Original Sin Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Age: Inquisition Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Fin Soup Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Drakengard 3 Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dungeon of the Endless Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout 4 Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Fearless Fantasy Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken Uprising Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Heart Forth Alicia Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes & Legends: Conquerors of Kolhar Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Atlan Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings Era Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online Kyn L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Redemption LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Grimrock 2 Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Lichdom: Battlemage Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lords of the Fallen Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance Mass Effect 4 MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms Might & Magic X: Legacy MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Moonrise Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mythborne Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Oort Online Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Overwatch Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Persona V Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pillars of Eternity Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints Pokémon X and Y PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Prodigy Project Blackout Project Gorgon Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Project Zomboid Puzzle Pirates Quest for Infamy Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rail Nation Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of Sierra Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Rebel Galaxy Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Risen 3: Titan Lords Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sacred 3 Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Chance Heroes Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow Realms Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowgate Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian South Park: The Stick of Truth Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Conflict Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Starbound Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Stormthrone Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Styx: Master of Shadows Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online TUG Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Terraria Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Banner Saga The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Epic Might The Hammers End The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2 The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Torment: Tides of Numenera Total Domination Transformers Universe Transistor Transverse Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Triad Wars Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Warflare Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune Wasteland 2 WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warriors World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenoblade Chronicles: X Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

Developers Corner

Developers Corner 

MMORPG Game Concepts  » My Sandbox Concept

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
40 posts found
  Benedikt

Tipster

Joined: 12/12/04
Posts: 1362

We live for The One, we die for The One.

12/13/12 7:24:17 AM#21
Originally posted by coretex666
Originally posted by Benedikt

 

Second - I hate idea of forced drink/eat/sleep (especially how it is done in most sandbox games, where it is based also on time you are offline). I think much better way than punish people for not doing it is the way themepark games do  it, to give bonuses/buffs for eating, drinking etc.

The second point is quite subjective. I would like the game to be realistic which means you need to eat. I did mention that quality of some of your abilities may be related to what you eat / drink, how much have you eaten, etc.

yeah, i know there are people like you, who like "realism in games", but what you are doing is more or less FORCING a lot of people to do things they dont like so they could enjoy rest of the game. come on - its a GAME, it is supposed to be fun and relaxing :)

  xeniar

Advanced Member

Joined: 11/09/06
Posts: 817

12/13/12 8:11:50 AM#22

humz i was writing this post about how i did not like your #7 but after thinking things trough. apart from the eating. i cant remember havind alot of potions on me in past MMO's i was always acompanied by a healer, grouping was mandatory. im sitll not sure about your drinking and eating part tho. if it would take too much time to actually do then i won't like it very much.

your #9 death penalty is good but i would say limit it to exp. wich brings me at #6 id like to have some levels. skill leveling can stay but i don't think you can do without levels in a game as extensive as this wich is skill (skilllevel) and gear based.

edit: levels imo should have a cap but it should be extremely hard to lvl up and lvl skills up. dying (from npc's not PC's) would give you a harsh penalty (10% exp of your current level to be paid back into the penalty at a rate of 50% of all gained exp)

i really like your game but if you want too remove all forms of NPC's the only thing you hold is crafting and PvP. Im not really a PvP nut.

  Kuro1n

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/03/07
Posts: 778

12/13/12 10:11:23 AM#23

Dont know if you are still around OP but there is a major flaw imo in your idea, why would anyone play the game to make planks. It might sound good when you write it but people wont enjoy logging into the game to make planks for a long period of time. Realism does not mean it's good game design and while I share some of your ideas I do not think you thought it through on a player level. Also locking players into factions will not work out well for you im quite sure because forcing players into factions is not something the sandbox community enjoys much. At least you should have a outlaw faction to let people fight anyone they want (ArcheAge style).

  Rimmersman

Advanced Member

Joined: 10/15/12
Posts: 911

12/13/12 10:20:03 AM#24
Originally posted by coretex666

I know that Darkfall is a sandbox which may be somewhat close to what I describe. I personally have never forced myself to spend some more time in the game since it was just pain to play it for me.

However, as people often mention, Darkfall is just a big PvP arena. I dont want the game to be just about PvP. Consequently, I am suggesting division of the land which would be guarded between the nations  and then have a common land.

What level of specialization is there in Darkfall? I doubt it is anywhere near to what I have in mind.

Is there the political system I described in place?

I think that Darkfall in the end is just a big PvP arena. The game I tried to describe is much less about PvP.

If it ressembles Darkfall, then I should make it more specific, hence longer :D

 

Three words not including these six.

 

Age Of Wushu.

 

Ill add this as well.

Get yourself into the second western beta starting on the 20th December. They are allowing anyone who joins the site a ten hour beta session, after that you will need key. Ill have eight next monday and a few friends will have some we will post on the AOW section on this site.

Two have already been claimed but the other eight ill just post in the beta thread, first come first served.

 

  coretex666

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/03/12
Posts: 1831

"I shall take your position into consideration"

 
OP  12/15/12 7:15:20 PM#25
Originally posted by Benedikt
Originally posted by coretex666
Originally posted by Benedikt

 

Second - I hate idea of forced drink/eat/sleep (especially how it is done in most sandbox games, where it is based also on time you are offline). I think much better way than punish people for not doing it is the way themepark games do  it, to give bonuses/buffs for eating, drinking etc.

The second point is quite subjective. I would like the game to be realistic which means you need to eat. I did mention that quality of some of your abilities may be related to what you eat / drink, how much have you eaten, etc.

yeah, i know there are people like you, who like "realism in games", but what you are doing is more or less FORCING a lot of people to do things they dont like so they could enjoy rest of the game. come on - its a GAME, it is supposed to be fun and relaxing :)

I know. I stated at the beginning that the game would probably be niche. It isnt really aiming for masses. People who want something relaxing play WoW after school / work which is fine.

Currently playing: L2 Chronicle 4

  coretex666

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/03/12
Posts: 1831

"I shall take your position into consideration"

 
OP  12/15/12 7:19:33 PM#26
Originally posted by xeniar

humz i was writing this post about how i did not like your #7 but after thinking things trough. apart from the eating. i cant remember havind alot of potions on me in past MMO's i was always acompanied by a healer, grouping was mandatory. im sitll not sure about your drinking and eating part tho. if it would take too much time to actually do then i won't like it very much.

your #9 death penalty is good but i would say limit it to exp. wich brings me at #6 id like to have some levels. skill leveling can stay but i don't think you can do without levels in a game as extensive as this wich is skill (skilllevel) and gear based.

edit: levels imo should have a cap but it should be extremely hard to lvl up and lvl skills up. dying (from npc's not PC's) would give you a harsh penalty (10% exp of your current level to be paid back into the penalty at a rate of 50% of all gained exp)

i really like your game but if you want too remove all forms of NPC's the only thing you hold is crafting and PvP. Im not really a PvP nut.

I am afraid that character levels would make it a themepark. I do agree that if you have levels, there should be a cap which is very hard to reach.

I probably should specify that by removing NPCs, I mean characters, like vendors or basically any non player characters which are on your side. I would definitely like to keep mobs in the game, so that there would be regular PVE, just not in form of raids or instances as we know it from themepark games.

Currently playing: L2 Chronicle 4

  coretex666

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/03/12
Posts: 1831

"I shall take your position into consideration"

 
OP  12/15/12 7:21:54 PM#27
Originally posted by Rimmersman
Originally posted by coretex666

I know that Darkfall is a sandbox which may be somewhat close to what I describe. I personally have never forced myself to spend some more time in the game since it was just pain to play it for me.

However, as people often mention, Darkfall is just a big PvP arena. I dont want the game to be just about PvP. Consequently, I am suggesting division of the land which would be guarded between the nations  and then have a common land.

What level of specialization is there in Darkfall? I doubt it is anywhere near to what I have in mind.

Is there the political system I described in place?

I think that Darkfall in the end is just a big PvP arena. The game I tried to describe is much less about PvP.

If it ressembles Darkfall, then I should make it more specific, hence longer :D

 

Three words not including these six.

 

Age Of Wushu.

 

Ill add this as well.

Get yourself into the second western beta starting on the 20th December. They are allowing anyone who joins the site a ten hour beta session, after that you will need key. Ill have eight next monday and a few friends will have some we will post on the AOW section on this site.

Two have already been claimed but the other eight ill just post in the beta thread, first come first served.

 

AoW may be an interesting game. However, I did watch some videos and visually, it is not very attractive for me. I understand that MMOs are not so much about graphics, but the design seemed "too Asian" for me.

I may give it a try to see if the game is so good that it will make me like it in spite of it.

Currently playing: L2 Chronicle 4

  ereyethirn

Novice Member

Joined: 10/23/11
Posts: 79

12/15/12 7:30:38 PM#28
After reading through your suggestion I LOVE what you're saying about craftng, this is one thing that NO ONE  seems to get right in mmorpgs, (hoping for arche age) and I have always agreed woth what you said about the world map, however I feel realism in terms of having to eat sleep etc. ruins games, I am personally not fond of designers making games realustic for the sake of it being realistic. I just don't get the point. Although housing is really missing from mmorpgs currently. And I actually o agree with 2 fctions but they need to be warring (like you were stating) rather than being like hey I just saw a member of the horde (people understand wow referencs so they are the best to make), oh im on a pve server lets just run around killing stuff for our quests side by side despite the fact that we hate each other. Games should reward you for seeing a member of the opposite faction randomly in the wild and attacking them, as factions are meant to hate one another. This allows for a game to centre around the conflict while encouraging people to partake in pvp but not forcing them to..
  coretex666

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/03/12
Posts: 1831

"I shall take your position into consideration"

 
OP  12/15/12 7:37:37 PM#29
Originally posted by Kuro1n

Dont know if you are still around OP but there is a major flaw imo in your idea, why would anyone play the game to make planks. It might sound good when you write it but people wont enjoy logging into the game to make planks for a long period of time. Realism does not mean it's good game design and while I share some of your ideas I do not think you thought it through on a player level. Also locking players into factions will not work out well for you im quite sure because forcing players into factions is not something the sandbox community enjoys much. At least you should have a outlaw faction to let people fight anyone they want (ArcheAge style).

The outlaw faction seems to be a good point. Maybe it would be good to give players the ability to attack players of their own faction / nation and have some sort of "penalty" for that. You may become a murderer and the players who choose to be guards (kind of like historical police :) ) would be getting experience and rewards from the city treasury for killing them.

May be worth considering letting the players basically leave their nation and start a new one. However, it would be considered something like a rebellion and the nation would be after them, so that creating a new nation and keeping it in longer term would be very difficult.

I will give it a thought and add it to the concept.

Currently playing: L2 Chronicle 4

  coretex666

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/03/12
Posts: 1831

"I shall take your position into consideration"

 
OP  12/15/12 7:39:11 PM#30

I am kind of surprised nobody likes the "must eat / drink" idea.

Guess I should remove it :)

Currently playing: L2 Chronicle 4

  Kuro1n

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/03/07
Posts: 778

12/15/12 9:39:16 PM#31

Well seems you are still active OP, I'm currently working on a project has some of these aspects and yes locking players into something is generally quite bad.

 

EDIT: and the eat and drink idea is something we use.

  coretex666

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/03/12
Posts: 1831

"I shall take your position into consideration"

 
OP  12/19/12 5:02:55 PM#32
Originally posted by Kuro1n

Well seems you are still active OP, I'm currently working on a project has some of these aspects and yes locking players into something is generally quite bad.

 

EDIT: and the eat and drink idea is something we use.

I dont think the necessity to eat and drink has to be designed in such a way that it would annoy the players. However, the responses so far indicate that players do not like this idea.

I was hoping it would contribute to the realism I was trying to achieve.

Currently playing: L2 Chronicle 4

  ZombieKen

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/30/10
Posts: 4410

Zombie - Dead but still moving.

12/19/12 5:13:38 PM#33
Originally posted by coretex666

I am kind of surprised nobody likes the "must eat / drink" idea.

Guess I should remove it :)

 

I'm not uncomfortable with it.  As long as eating / drinking has a reason to exist in the game mechanics.

 

After all, we stop at a crafter and repair our gear.  Why not stop at the Inn and grab a sandwich and a pint?

 

From a conversation a long while back, a dev told me not to "punish" people for not doing something, but rather "reward" them for doing it.  Then it's their idea.

MSOTSG with PPE : Massively Single-player Online Task-driven Storyline Game with Purchasable Performance Enhancements *grin*

  Kuro1n

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/03/07
Posts: 778

12/20/12 7:34:27 PM#34
Originally posted by XAPGames
Originally posted by coretex666

I am kind of surprised nobody likes the "must eat / drink" idea.

Guess I should remove it :)

 

I'm not uncomfortable with it.  As long as eating / drinking has a reason to exist in the game mechanics.

 

After all, we stop at a crafter and repair our gear.  Why not stop at the Inn and grab a sandwich and a pint?

 

From a conversation a long while back, a dev told me not to "punish" people for not doing something, but rather "reward" them for doing it.  Then it's their idea.

Depends very much on what type of a game you are trying to make.

  Findariel

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 1/20/05
Posts: 216

2/06/13 5:11:39 AM#35

1. Medieval light fantasy setting - lets say medieval with some basic magics
I'm ok with this. Preferably without robots, guns and tanks. A mix of say 1000 AD and LoTR.

2. Two nations
As said before, 3 is better for balancing reasons.

3. 20% of the map for one nation, 20% for the other one and 60% the common land
Agreed with. Except divided into 3, so say 15% each.

4. Realistic Drops
Also agreed with. It makjes no sense for a maggot to drop a full scale armour :)

5. Profession specialization
I think harvesting professions wouldn't be that hard to levell - but crafting and repairing wil be. I always wondered why crafting would be done away with as an afterthought in most mmorpg's. Look at GW2: you can get master crafter within an hour and everyone is a max level crafter.

The way to master crafter would take a very long time and you would improve in things like:
Efficiency: craft things a) faster b) with a better chance of a better quality and b) needing less materials
Quality: a master would be able to make some exceptional stuff an apprentice can't.
So crafting something doesn't happen "on the fly" but will require some time. Perhaps you can be afk or even offline but I liked EVE's way of handling manufacturing. In a similar fashion, a good weapon may have to be in the forge for 2 days, a wooden sword may be made within 1 hour. A magic weapon may take days to complete and require erfforts from jewelcrafters, blacksmiths and such.

Next to that, I don't agree with weapons that dissolve into nothingness after a while. Let's make them "broken" and let crafters be able to repair it, which will require time and some additional materials.
It will give crafters additional work and options.

Urbanisation: this will only work if people can't travel by waypoints and jumpgates, so you're basically proposing manual travel. Although I'd like that, it can also scare off a lot of players that don't have time to travel for 30 minutes. I know travel in EVE was a chore, although fgriffin travel in WoW was acceptable. One could also use the burden system from Elder Scrolls, so you're limited in what you can carry around.

6. No character levels
Not sure what to think of this. Although it could be fun if you have no idea how strong your oponent is and you can only make a rough estimate if you look at his/her gear.

7. Realism - You have to eat, drink, sleep
Basicallky ok with this. But again: if may scare off more casual players that don't have that much time. Although it would be fun if you haven't played for a week to find your character being starved and asking for food when you logon! :)

8. Conflict - The nations would be in war
No real opinion on this. I just want to emphasize that an average sandbox game often just revolves around PvP.

9. Death penalty
That's a major issue. The thing is that if people would have permadeath, they hardly would engage in PvP (except with low level characters). It would become a rather peaceful world where no-one would risk his/her life witout any good reason (like our daily life reality).
If you don't want a PvP run world, you could increase DP by (as you suggested) losing all your gear, a 10% stat decrease for an hour after each death. And so on.     
 

Not sure about the sandbox idea, really. I´d rather have it a mix of sanbox elements (making villages and such) and PvE (dungeons, open world quets) because a lot of people don't really like PvP that much. It should be possible to just be a PvE player and still have enough to do.

  coretex666

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/03/12
Posts: 1831

"I shall take your position into consideration"

 
OP  2/19/13 6:13:31 AM#36
Originally posted by Findariel

1. Medieval light fantasy setting - lets say medieval with some basic magics
I'm ok with this. Preferably without robots, guns and tanks. A mix of say 1000 AD and LoTR.

2. Two nations
As said before, 3 is better for balancing reasons.

3. 20% of the map for one nation, 20% for the other one and 60% the common land
Agreed with. Except divided into 3, so say 15% each.

4. Realistic Drops
Also agreed with. It makjes no sense for a maggot to drop a full scale armour :)

5. Profession specialization
I think harvesting professions wouldn't be that hard to levell - but crafting and repairing wil be. I always wondered why crafting would be done away with as an afterthought in most mmorpg's. Look at GW2: you can get master crafter within an hour and everyone is a max level crafter.

The way to master crafter would take a very long time and you would improve in things like:
Efficiency: craft things a) faster b) with a better chance of a better quality and b) needing less materials
Quality: a master would be able to make some exceptional stuff an apprentice can't.
So crafting something doesn't happen "on the fly" but will require some time. Perhaps you can be afk or even offline but I liked EVE's way of handling manufacturing. In a similar fashion, a good weapon may have to be in the forge for 2 days, a wooden sword may be made within 1 hour. A magic weapon may take days to complete and require erfforts from jewelcrafters, blacksmiths and such.

Next to that, I don't agree with weapons that dissolve into nothingness after a while. Let's make them "broken" and let crafters be able to repair it, which will require time and some additional materials.
It will give crafters additional work and options.

Urbanisation: this will only work if people can't travel by waypoints and jumpgates, so you're basically proposing manual travel. Although I'd like that, it can also scare off a lot of players that don't have time to travel for 30 minutes. I know travel in EVE was a chore, although fgriffin travel in WoW was acceptable. One could also use the burden system from Elder Scrolls, so you're limited in what you can carry around.

6. No character levels
Not sure what to think of this. Although it could be fun if you have no idea how strong your oponent is and you can only make a rough estimate if you look at his/her gear.

7. Realism - You have to eat, drink, sleep
Basicallky ok with this. But again: if may scare off more casual players that don't have that much time. Although it would be fun if you haven't played for a week to find your character being starved and asking for food when you logon! :)

8. Conflict - The nations would be in war
No real opinion on this. I just want to emphasize that an average sandbox game often just revolves around PvP.

9. Death penalty
That's a major issue. The thing is that if people would have permadeath, they hardly would engage in PvP (except with low level characters). It would become a rather peaceful world where no-one would risk his/her life witout any good reason (like our daily life reality).
If you don't want a PvP run world, you could increase DP by (as you suggested) losing all your gear, a 10% stat decrease for an hour after each death. And so on.     
 

Not sure about the sandbox idea, really. I´d rather have it a mix of sanbox elements (making villages and such) and PvE (dungeons, open world quets) because a lot of people don't really like PvP that much. It should be possible to just be a PvE player and still have enough to do.

 Thanks for the review.

Some interesting thoughts there.

Currently playing: L2 Chronicle 4

  ikcin

Advanced Member

Joined: 12/15/13
Posts: 465

3/12/14 3:02:19 PM#37
But you don't like Black Desert? I mean it has everything you want from MMORPG.

  Talinguard

Novice Member

Joined: 1/18/06
Posts: 672

Player accomplishment is relative to the chance of meaningful consequences in the event you fail.

4/25/14 3:06:26 PM#38
Let me start by saying I havent' visited this forum in a while;.  I enjoy challenging peoples ideas and try to get everyone thinking.  I'm not going to sugar coat my comments, but they are not indented to be destructive, they are intended to constructive.  I have spent a LOT of time understanding game economies.  When you understand the economy of a game, which should be the foundation of any MMORPG, you understand peoples motivations and goals.  To often the way the economy works runs contrary to the fun that people should be having when playing a game.
 
Originally posted by coretex666

 

4) Drops - I would normally mention this later, but I want to state this before I get to economy and professions. It would be possible to obtain full drops from monsters. However, the drop rates would be really low (like e.g. Lineage 2 early chronicles). Instead of that, the monsters would be dropping mats. Realistic mats, so that if you kill a wolf you mayuse its skin for leather armor, you can use its teeth for some kind of tool, you can use its meat.

I can see you've given your idea some thought.  I'm going to challenge you in the areas I'm familar with.....

Obtaining drops from monsters means that people are motivated to kill monsters?  Correct?  If the drop rate is too low players won't find the game fun because only players with an enormous amount of time will have good stuff.....

What about player made items you say?  Well it depends, which items are better, player made or drops?  If drops are better then players will obsess about obtaining them, making player made items inferior and of little value, if player made items are best, players will do whatever tasks they must do to collect the raw mats to make them

So your economy is driven by....Killing NPC's?

All the stuff that players bring into the world, how will you prevent saturation of items in the world?  Will you have decay?  Players hate decay, not because there items break, but generally because of what they have to do to fix it....

5) Professions - This is where I think the game would be different. I would attempt at making it realistic. An individual player would not be a walking manufacture. There would be specialization.

Specialization is good but there are pitfalls, what your describing can better be called the division of labor, the problem with this idea is that people who need other people to do what they want generally don't like not being able to find other people they need when they want them.  They will get frustrated very quickly if they have to wait.

There are many resources in the world. For instance, you would have wood, stone, iron, silver, gold, diamonds, sand, cole, etc... Similar to minecraft lets say. I would like to have many levels of each resource in terms of quality. It would be harder to obtain better mats since they would either be in a location where the monsters are tougher or they would be in a common land where the PvP for resources takes place and where the monsters would also be harder anyway, also you would need tools of better quality to collect the mats.

Who guards these raw mats?  I mean I assume this isn't simply a game of gathering.

What your describing is a game where you trade time playing the game world to earn raw mats so that you can do what? 

Those with more item to collect raw mats win?

With respect, its sounds boring.  What do you say to players who play MMORPG's to play other players and not just the game?

E.g. you will have location where you just cannot kill monsters with a wooden sword in order to get e.g. titanium which would make a sword 10 tiers higher. You would not be able to mine titanium with mining pick made of stone. It would be a very long process to go through all the tiers of resources, items and it would not be possible for an individual or a single guild. The whole nation has to cooperate and have a working economy in order to proceed and to surpass the other faction and control the unique resources in the common land. There would still be a very little chance of getting a full drop (it would still be a nice carrot sort of, imo). It would not be easy to make full items / final products. You would not be fighting dragons one day after you start playing. You will be glad to kill the most basic wolf a week after you start.

I was talking about specialization. I think it is a key to bring the community together. It is why I used term Nation to label the faction.

One person cuts the trees. Other person makes planks. Other person builds house.

One person mines iron. Another person is a blacksmith making edges for weapons or agricultural / industrial tools.

These people would have their houses / industry buildings where they can be approached by someone asking them to make a weapon, to build them a house, to make them some agricultural tools, etc.

Again, the division of labor isn't a bad idea, but one must understand the problems associated with it.

Simply put, every person will have their role in the economy similar to how it probably used to be in medieval times. As I mentioned, I would like the game to be realistic.

 

7) Realism - You have to eat, drink, sleep where it is safe. How well you eat, sleep would influence your stats.

Items have limited durability and when they break, they perish.

You can have only limited amount of items on you. For instance, some sort of doctor can cure wounds, heal, cure diseases, etc. They could also make a bandage / potion / ointment which player can purchase and carry on them. However, it would not be like in most current games that you just buy 80 of these and you are fine. You could carry only a few of those for your adventures into the wilderness.

Why do you want realism....I'm not being snarky...Think about it.  Does realism make it more fun?  Do you thank that it's more immersive?  People value fun over immersion.  I promise.  Nothing spoils a game faster than tedious actions performed in the name of immersion.

Sleeping and eating are boring and people won't like it, period.  People want to PLAY a game not WORK it.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm all about immersion, but again this is another pitfall you need to be careful of.

As far as durability (decay).  This is simply a  to remove stuff from the world.  period, that's all it is.  Now because players are constantly bringing stuff and money into the world stuff has to be taken out, so I see decay as a necessary part of the game, however, the problem is, how to people cure decay?  Is it to farm mobs and endless hours of gathering...Boring, people won't like it.

If your going to have decay, which I think you should, overcoming it has to be fun, otherwise people will hate it.

Don't get realism confused with fun.  If you have a mechanism in the game like sleep or eating, that's ok, but don't do it because its "realistic", do it because there is some other necessary mechanism in the game tied to it.  For example in an effort to create consumption of the millions of items players drag into the world, perhaps players can avoid sleep if they use raw mats combined to make a potion that allows players to avoid sleep.  This is a simple mechinism to encourage consumption and increase demand for mats that might otherwise build up.

Basically:

Fun>Realism

 

8) Conflict - The nations would be in war. Which nation has the upper hand would be to a large extent influenced by the economy. An army of soldiers with wooden swords and shields would get easily destroyed by army geared with iron stuff. It would also motivate the nation to work together as one big team.

What your creating is a situation where players have to play the game to get stuff.  Then they use that stuff to play against other players.  So my success in battle has more to do with how much and how well I play against the game rather than how well I do against other players.  

Be original, this has been done sooooo many times.

As mentioned before, each nation can access the land of the other nation. I would suggest having guards in the cities.

They could either be NPCs (although I want to keep minimum number of NPCs in the world. Maybe even eliminate them completely.)

Eliminating NPC's, while a fresh and innovative idea, is going to be tough.  Monsters are NPC's right?  

the number of which would depend on city defense expenses. I can imagine having basic financial statements for each city / or even province into which the nations land can be divided (by players) accessible for view in a city hall. (Something really simple like Revenues from taxes, Expenses on defense, investments to infrastructure, etc, so that players could see how well the city government is doing and probably not vote for them next time if the city is running out of money or is investing money inefficiently).

You havent established your coin-of-the-realm, where it comes from and how to plan to prevent inflation, so it's had to comment on the aspects that involve money.

Or they can be player professions. It would require making a reward system for this profession as the professions would be main source of players' income (next to material drops from monsters and very rare full drops which definitely cannot be considered as source of stable income. You would get 1 full drop in several months of playing. Like I said, similar to L2 C1). Due to the fact that the cities probably would not be under constant attacks of other nation, it would require monsters to attack the city. Not sure if it is possible, but I would like to have randomly attacking animals e.g. pack of wolves zerging the city as well as well organized attacks of humanoid monsters e.g. a group of thieves approaching carefully the city and picking some strategic target for their invasion. The player guards would then be rewarded for every monster killed or invasion stopped. There would be many various types of mobs attacking the city in a unique random way.

Nothing more frustrating then being zerged by random NPC mob....

The progress in the profession of guards could be done through hyerarchy. Getting experience for defeating invasions, protecting others, etc would increase your rank once in a while.

9) Death penalty - I personally do not have anything against perma death. However, in this game, I would suggest not to go with perma death. In a game in which you "invest" time and energy, you should not be able to lose everything you worked for in a blink of an eye. I would go with full loot for sure. You drop everything you are carrying with you.

Full loot is another bad idea in a game where items have so much influence.  It punishes people who are new and casual and in my experience the communities are filled with greifing 16 year old's who like to ruin the experiences of other players.  Again, this is been done, there are other innovative alternatives to full loot and meaningless death....

This is an area open to innovation and original thinking.

I know I am not addressing some aspects of the game. As I said, it is just a concept and I have not dedicated so much time to it yet. But I would like to know if this may the kind of game people are asking for when they say "We want worlds, not games".

Any thoughts?

I wanna know, being an economist, where your money comes from? 

How would you prevent inflation?

Would you have action markets that are global or localized?

What about travel. how easy is it to travel in your world?

How much can a player carry, or bank?

How would you prevent hording (if at all)?

 

Just a few things to get you started.  I apologize if you've answered some of this already in the thread, it's long and I didn't read it all.  Feel free to point me to a post if you've answered or addressed my questions.

Presentation for new MMORPG economics concept http://www.slideshare.net/talin/mmo-economics-concept-v-10

  nerovergil

Novice Member

Joined: 6/02/14
Posts: 10

6/05/14 6:33:51 AM#39

Eat and drink is fine.

Make like GW2 where the food give buff to players for some time

  jaaz75

Novice Member

Joined: 3/11/13
Posts: 2

6/19/14 6:54:22 AM#40
Good ideas OP . I have a few ideas to add as well:

1. Missile weapons should be manually aimed with the mouse.

2. The chance to hit should be calculated by the server using the laws of physics.

3. The chance to penetrate armour should be calculated in the same way and be dependent on armour type , speed of missile etc.

4. Taking an arrow to a vital area of the body should kill instantly. To the legs should slow the victims movement etc.

5. Movement of the characters should be realistic like in the Batman Arkham game not like in Darkfall which is jerky all over the place. The laws of physics apply here too.

6. The game should require you to wee and poo which will be funny as hell. Seeing a dragon up close might cause either or both natural functions to occur.

7. Swinging your melee weapon should be realistic. A bit like Skyrim but with added complexity or types of attack and defensive moves.

8. There should full collision detection implemented for all objects which will allow for interesting tactics to be tried like shield walls (roman/spartan origin), or forcing enemy over a narrow bridge (battle of stirling bridge origin)

9. When you Stab or slice into someone or some monster then you should get blood on your blade. It will be educational to people and teach them the horrors of violence.

So what would the cost be to develop this game?
2 Pages « 1 2 Search