Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,380 Users Online:0
Games:713  Posts:6,174,242
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Deco Online Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Phoenix Edition LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Project Blackout Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Puzzle Pirates Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Hammers End The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Total Domination Transformers Universe Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

General Discussion

General Discussion 

The Pub at MMORPG.COM  » Much of the MMO gameplay is not massive

12 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Last Search
228 posts found
  lizardbones

Elite Member

Joined: 6/11/08
Posts: 10375

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

12/31/12 2:46:37 PM#101


Originally posted by Banaghran

Originally posted by lizardbones I gave a solution to the questions asked*. They weren't even new solutions. They are solutions that are already implemented in running games, and they are games that are doing well for themselves. The solutions work as intended. None of the issues you've mentioned concerning Diablo (any version) has anything to do with private loot. The amount of loot, the randomization of loot and the loot itemization are all issues that exist with and without private loot piles and are all issues that are addressed separately from private loot piles. * How do you stop kill stealing and loot stealing in an open world game? The answer is that if you don't want players to do something, you don't allow them to do something. If you don't want players to steal kills or loot, you don't allow them to do it.  
You will remember that i replyed to your "they will make it impossible" statement.

Which your original suggestions were themselves far from.

Well, if you want to argue that a feature that increases the amount of loot has no effect on the amount of loot, then be my guest, i will stay back here, at the edge of insanity, making the occasional step back and forth as usual :)

Flame on!

:)

 




Your response was that I made half @ssed suggestions. While that is technically a response, it's really short on details.

Private loot piles don't increase or decrease the amount of loot. The developer decides how much loot drops. If Blizzard wanted less loot to drop in D3, then less loot would drop in D3. They aren't limited by having private loot piles. Because, you know, they determine everything that happens.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but kill stealing is when a player A needs mob X and player B tags or kills mob X before player A can tag or kill them, yes? So if player A can hit mob X after player B has hit mob X, and both players get credit for the kill, then that makes kill stealing pretty impossible, yes? If you scale the damage done to the mob based on the player level, rather than the mob level, then it becomes even harder for player B to kill a mob before player A has a change to hit it...player B can no longer one shot mobs that player A needs.

Loot stealing is when player A kills mob X, and some loot drops, then player B comes along and takes the loot. Well, if the loot pile belongs to player A, and player B can't see or touch it, then player B stealing player A's loot is not impossible, yes?

These are solutions that have been implemented in other games already. They address the issues of kill stealing and loot stealing. I didn't suggest them because I made them up myself, I suggested them because developers have already done these things, and they worked as intended.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

  DavisFlight

Apprentice Member

Joined: 9/25/12
Posts: 2388

12/31/12 2:52:12 PM#102
Originally posted by nariusseldon

small group dungeons (like in DDO, WOW, LOTRO, DCUO, .....)

arena/battleground pvp (some smaller than BF3)

raids (biggest in WOW is 25 man ... even at 40 man .. it is smaller than BF3 battles)

and not to mention SINGLE PLAYER quests and daily quests.

In fact, the only massive part is the city where people wait for their dungeons/pvp to pop .. and that is just a massive lobby with a massive AH.

So much of the gameplay experience that many players spend most of their time on are not "massive" (like a PS2 hundreds on hundreds battle) in *many* MMOs, may be it is time for MMOs to abandon its roots, and embrace a broader definition. In fact, the texas holden online game i just played is as massive as a MMO. YOu can gamble with 8 people, which has more players than heroic dungeons ... and the lobby is as massive as orgrimmar in WOW.

 

Correction, much of WoW clone and non MMO gameplay is non massive.

Real MMOs have massive gameplay.

  Shakes420

Novice Member

Joined: 11/16/11
Posts: 23

12/31/12 2:58:36 PM#103

You can claim New York City isn't massive.  It is made up of small groups of people queing for travel, dining, and entertainment.  We can say it is just a glorified lobby city.

 

  Banaghran

Novice Member

Joined: 1/17/12
Posts: 872

12/31/12 3:16:31 PM#104
Originally posted by nariusseldon
Originally posted by Banaghran
Originally posted by nariusseldon
Originally posted by Banaghran

Private loot IS part of the problem in D3, much more items are introduced into the game, thus the items have to be more useless, more random, so that not everyone is decked out right away in the best items.

And pardon me if i take offense in being told that a full stash of yellows that can be only vendored has to do with playing a Diablo game...

Flame on!

:)

So? Dropping 100 yellows and then you get a rare legendary (or 100M worth yellow) is the same as getting a rare raid drop after playing for 50 hours.

You get a good item every 50 hours of play.

But you dont. The legendary is worth <1m in most cases and my definition of good is much broader than "100m item".

Even in raids you see good drops very often, they are just not for your class, or you have stronger ones.

You maybe get a item every 50 hours you might want to wear, if you would not have already something better bought from the ah, or you would be a different class.

Which is extremely low.

Flame on!

:)

So in any case, you get a good upgrade every 50 hours or so (depending on your gear level, of course .. it is faster when you have little stuff) ... whether it is a 100M item that you can cash in to get something good on the AH, or a good item drop (which i have done both).

I thought people are for slower progression. YOu really want a good drop every hour? Think about the horrible gear inflation if that is teh case.

A good upgrade does not mean selling for 100m (which is at best 2 medium upgrades past mp3 on farm), as you point out, so you can potentially spend months without good drops, 50 hours are 2weeks - 1 month of playtime, and people do.

A good drop every hour..., this old song again, yes, i would like a item that has correct mainstat for item type, vit, resall and a random dps affix, yes, something that is now traded for 30-100k every now and then, even an hour.

Call me a idealist :)

Flame on!

:)

 

  Torik

Elite Member

Joined: 1/02/09
Posts: 2304

12/31/12 3:24:33 PM#105
Originally posted by Banaghran

A good drop every hour..., this old song again, yes, i would like a item that has correct mainstat for item type, vit, resall and a random dps affix, yes, something that is now traded for 30-100k every now and then, even an hour.

Call me a idealist :)

Flame on!

:)

 

I believe, on these forums, that kind of system is refered to as Easy Mode. :)

  Banaghran

Novice Member

Joined: 1/17/12
Posts: 872

12/31/12 3:35:42 PM#106
Originally posted by Torik
Originally posted by Banaghran

A good drop every hour..., this old song again, yes, i would like a item that has correct mainstat for item type, vit, resall and a random dps affix, yes, something that is now traded for 30-100k every now and then, even an hour.

Call me a idealist :)

Flame on!

:)

 

I believe, on these forums, that kind of system is refered to as Easy Mode. :)

Hmm, so gaining 0.5% of a level every hour while gaining loot and wealth is grind, but a item that has essentially no value other than being a "nice drop" is easy mode.

Interesting.

Flame on!

:)

  Banaghran

Novice Member

Joined: 1/17/12
Posts: 872

12/31/12 3:56:09 PM#107
Originally posted by lizardbones
Your response was that I made half @ssed suggestions. While that is technically a response, it's really short on details.

Private loot piles don't increase or decrease the amount of loot. The developer decides how much loot drops. If Blizzard wanted less loot to drop in D3, then less loot would drop in D3. They aren't limited by having private loot piles. Because, you know, they determine everything that happens.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but kill stealing is when a player A needs mob X and player B tags or kills mob X before player A can tag or kill them, yes? So if player A can hit mob X after player B has hit mob X, and both players get credit for the kill, then that makes kill stealing pretty impossible, yes? If you scale the damage done to the mob based on the player level, rather than the mob level, then it becomes even harder for player B to kill a mob before player A has a change to hit it...player B can no longer one shot mobs that player A needs.

Loot stealing is when player A kills mob X, and some loot drops, then player B comes along and takes the loot. Well, if the loot pile belongs to player A, and player B can't see or touch it, then player B stealing player A's loot is not impossible, yes?

These are solutions that have been implemented in other games already. They address the issues of kill stealing and loot stealing. I didn't suggest them because I made them up myself, I suggested them because developers have already done these things, and they worked as intended.

 

Fair enough for the response.

As for private loot piles, private loot in d3 mean full loot for everyone, in this sense a group of 4 gets 4x the amount of items that an group of 1. Thus private loot in this case increases the amount of loot. Which is in line of my argument that it is never that easy as "just make it impossible", they did, but the execution contributed to another problem.

The rest is academic, "if" blizz wanted this and that, if blizz wanted to create a good game, they would not have released d3 so unfinished :)

I have no problem with your suggestions per se, we could maybe talk about how you want to (or respectively, how it is if the system works somewhere) divide loot or how to avoid the mischief of randomly increasing the level of mobs for noobs, or some timeout on loot piles (i do enjoy picking up stuff after bots after reporting them, much better than just reporting them  :) )

Flame on!

:)

  nariusseldon

Elite Member

Joined: 12/21/07
Posts: 19115

 
OP  12/31/12 7:30:58 PM#108
Originally posted by Banaghran
Originally posted by nariusseldon
Originally posted by Banaghran
Originally posted by nariusseldon
Originally posted by Banaghran

Private loot IS part of the problem in D3, much more items are introduced into the game, thus the items have to be more useless, more random, so that not everyone is decked out right away in the best items.

And pardon me if i take offense in being told that a full stash of yellows that can be only vendored has to do with playing a Diablo game...

Flame on!

:)

So? Dropping 100 yellows and then you get a rare legendary (or 100M worth yellow) is the same as getting a rare raid drop after playing for 50 hours.

You get a good item every 50 hours of play.

But you dont. The legendary is worth <1m in most cases and my definition of good is much broader than "100m item".

Even in raids you see good drops very often, they are just not for your class, or you have stronger ones.

You maybe get a item every 50 hours you might want to wear, if you would not have already something better bought from the ah, or you would be a different class.

Which is extremely low.

Flame on!

:)

So in any case, you get a good upgrade every 50 hours or so (depending on your gear level, of course .. it is faster when you have little stuff) ... whether it is a 100M item that you can cash in to get something good on the AH, or a good item drop (which i have done both).

I thought people are for slower progression. YOu really want a good drop every hour? Think about the horrible gear inflation if that is teh case.

A good upgrade does not mean selling for 100m (which is at best 2 medium upgrades past mp3 on farm), as you point out, so you can potentially spend months without good drops, 50 hours are 2weeks - 1 month of playtime, and people do.

A good drop every hour..., this old song again, yes, i would like a item that has correct mainstat for item type, vit, resall and a random dps affix, yes, something that is now traded for 30-100k every now and then, even an hour.

Call me a idealist :)

Flame on!

:)

 

So whether there are a boat loads of useless yellow is pretty much irrelevant to this discussion. Whether they are yellow, or white .. makes zero difference. The only thing that matters is how often you get something "useful".

And i disagree with your assessment. I am farming MP5 now .. and my next upgrade (for roughly 10-20k dps increase) is in the 100M range. So 100M ... is pretty good at least for my toon. And last time i check, my DPS is roughly at the less than 5% quantile (roughly top 5000 in US, less than top 2000 wiz) ... so i will guess many players are getting upgrade FASTER than me.

At the end of the day, it is really about the speed of upgrade. In a WOW raid scenario, it is easily 1-2 weeks before a single upgrade .. i don't see D3 as much slower. 

  nariusseldon

Elite Member

Joined: 12/21/07
Posts: 19115

 
OP  12/31/12 7:33:00 PM#109

I just forget, the discussion is about loot stealing .. in that aspect ... D3 and LFR loot system obviously eliminated the problem.

Now we can discuss the speed of loot drop, but that is obivously an independent issue. Blizz can easily double of halve the loot drop and still maintain the private loot.

Personally, i like private loot. No need to fight over loot .. and eliminate one interaction problem. 

  lizardbones

Elite Member

Joined: 6/11/08
Posts: 10375

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

12/31/12 10:51:05 PM#110


Originally posted by Banaghran

Originally posted by lizardbones Your response was that I made half @ssed suggestions. While that is technically a response, it's really short on details. Private loot piles don't increase or decrease the amount of loot. The developer decides how much loot drops. If Blizzard wanted less loot to drop in D3, then less loot would drop in D3. They aren't limited by having private loot piles. Because, you know, they determine everything that happens. Correct me if I'm wrong, but kill stealing is when a player A needs mob X and player B tags or kills mob X before player A can tag or kill them, yes? So if player A can hit mob X after player B has hit mob X, and both players get credit for the kill, then that makes kill stealing pretty impossible, yes? If you scale the damage done to the mob based on the player level, rather than the mob level, then it becomes even harder for player B to kill a mob before player A has a change to hit it...player B can no longer one shot mobs that player A needs. Loot stealing is when player A kills mob X, and some loot drops, then player B comes along and takes the loot. Well, if the loot pile belongs to player A, and player B can't see or touch it, then player B stealing player A's loot is not impossible, yes? These are solutions that have been implemented in other games already. They address the issues of kill stealing and loot stealing. I didn't suggest them because I made them up myself, I suggested them because developers have already done these things, and they worked as intended.  
Fair enough for the response.

As for private loot piles, private loot in d3 mean full loot for everyone, in this sense a group of 4 gets 4x the amount of items that an group of 1. Thus private loot in this case increases the amount of loot. Which is in line of my argument that it is never that easy as "just make it impossible", they did, but the execution contributed to another problem.

The rest is academic, "if" blizz wanted this and that, if blizz wanted to create a good game, they would not have released d3 so unfinished :)

I have no problem with your suggestions per se, we could maybe talk about how you want to (or respectively, how it is if the system works somewhere) divide loot or how to avoid the mischief of randomly increasing the level of mobs for noobs, or some timeout on loot piles (i do enjoy picking up stuff after bots after reporting them, much better than just reporting them  :) )

Flame on!

:)




Each player gets a chance at a good piece of gear when they drop the big mob. Most of the gear, while of "yellow" quality, is still garbage. The players didn't get a loot drop, they got a pre-vendor drop that they aren't expected to keep. The players still have to run and re-run a particular boss or section of the game until they get a piece of gear that they want to keep. Private loot piles don't make a substantial change in game play between D2 and D3. To be honest, this is the first I've heard anyone complain about private loot or too many drops in D3. Like GW2, I sit with people who play the game and won't shut up about it. This has never come up before.

But keep in mind, I answered two very specific questions with two very specific answers. Anything outside those very specific questions wasn't considered because it wasn't part of the questions.

** edit **

Happy New Year Everyone!

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

  Banaghran

Novice Member

Joined: 1/17/12
Posts: 872

1/01/13 4:33:48 AM#111
Originally posted by lizardbones

 

Each player gets a chance at a good piece of gear when they drop the big mob. Most of the gear, while of "yellow" quality, is still garbage. The players didn't get a loot drop, they got a pre-vendor drop that they aren't expected to keep. The players still have to run and re-run a particular boss or section of the game until they get a piece of gear that they want to keep. Private loot piles don't make a substantial change in game play between D2 and D3. To be honest, this is the first I've heard anyone complain about private loot or too many drops in D3. Like GW2, I sit with people who play the game and won't shut up about it. This has never come up before.

But keep in mind, I answered two very specific questions with two very specific answers. Anything outside those very specific questions wasn't considered because it wasn't part of the questions.

** edit **

Happy New Year Everyone!

 

That you state how it is does not make it ok, does it?

You are not keeping a very close look on the game, forums and broader community if you have never heard and experienced "there are too many useless drops". And, ofcourse i will ask, which particular boss i have to run to get lacunis with crit? :)

Noone claimed it is a substantial change in gameplay, i just claimed it contributes to the problem.

What it changes (together with other mechanics) is the psychological effect of the rewards, and while im coming to a conclusion that some people are too dense to be desensitivized :) , it is the fallout. 

One might, in a tongue-in-cheek way, even suggest that if players would get more often a good drop, they would even stomach fighting over it at this point.

Flame on!

:)

 

 

  Banaghran

Novice Member

Joined: 1/17/12
Posts: 872

1/01/13 5:01:24 AM#112
Originally posted by nariusseldon

So whether there are a boat loads of useless yellow is pretty much irrelevant to this discussion. Whether they are yellow, or white .. makes zero difference. The only thing that matters is how often you get something "useful".

And i disagree with your assessment. I am farming MP5 now .. and my next upgrade (for roughly 10-20k dps increase) is in the 100M range. So 100M ... is pretty good at least for my toon. And last time i check, my DPS is roughly at the less than 5% quantile (roughly top 5000 in US, less than top 2000 wiz) ... so i will guess many players are getting upgrade FASTER than me.

At the end of the day, it is really about the speed of upgrade. In a WOW raid scenario, it is easily 1-2 weeks before a single upgrade .. i don't see D3 as much slower. 

It is relevant, because people are not machines, you may be one, what do i know, but people in general are not, and they are even less logical thinking than anyone assumes.

You and the devs cannot expect to just say "yellow is the new white, deal with it".

We judge and feel rewards based on our previous rewards and sometimes even arbitrary factors.

To illustrate, you (in a broader sense, meaning "people") will drive across the town for 100 bucks off on a 500 buck dvd player, you will not if it is on a 10k item, yet it is the same 100 bucks.

Similarly, and more to the point, if you drink cheap coke every day, real coke will be a minor improvement in taste (if you like coke, that is), but if you drink water...

In a wow raid scenario you SEE good items drop, it gives people hope and a sense they have accomplished something, which does not come so easy from "yellow gold piles".

I surely hope you farm mp5 for the keys :)

Flame on!

:)

  cylon8

Advanced Member

Joined: 6/10/07
Posts: 293

1/01/13 5:26:09 AM#113
this qould be better phrased as not all mmos are worlds.  crafting a real world takes a bit of talent...jusst hobbline a variety of boxed sized environemnts together eh not so much.  I'd go as far as to argue in some ways that battle lobby games are more mmos these days then say swtor simply because games like swtor set out specifically to eliminate grouping and socalization under the guies it would provide better gameplay value which in the end it didn't.

so say we all

  lizardbones

Elite Member

Joined: 6/11/08
Posts: 10375

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

1/01/13 8:26:47 AM#114


Originally posted by Banaghran

Originally posted by lizardbones   Each player gets a chance at a good piece of gear when they drop the big mob. Most of the gear, while of "yellow" quality, is still garbage. The players didn't get a loot drop, they got a pre-vendor drop that they aren't expected to keep. The players still have to run and re-run a particular boss or section of the game until they get a piece of gear that they want to keep. Private loot piles don't make a substantial change in game play between D2 and D3. To be honest, this is the first I've heard anyone complain about private loot or too many drops in D3. Like GW2, I sit with people who play the game and won't shut up about it. This has never come up before. But keep in mind, I answered two very specific questions with two very specific answers. Anything outside those very specific questions wasn't considered because it wasn't part of the questions. ** edit ** Happy New Year Everyone!  
That you state how it is does not make it ok, does it?

You are not keeping a very close look on the game, forums and broader community if you have never heard and experienced "there are too many useless drops". And, ofcourse i will ask, which particular boss i have to run to get lacunis with crit? :)

Noone claimed it is a substantial change in gameplay, i just claimed it contributes to the problem.

What it changes (together with other mechanics) is the psychological effect of the rewards, and while im coming to a conclusion that some people are too dense to be desensitivized :) , it is the fallout. 

One might, in a tongue-in-cheek way, even suggest that if players would get more often a good drop, they would even stomach fighting over it at this point.

Flame on!

:)

 

 




You've come back around to arguing for letting players steal loot. Which is fine, but again, I didn't respond to a question of whether or not it's a good idea to let players steal loot. I answered the question of how you would stop players from stealing loot.

You can have an open world game where players cannot steal loot from other players. How you set this up depends on every other aspect of your mob killing and looting systems. Those systems would depend on what kind of game you want setup and how you want it to play out.

None of this really has anything to do with the OP. I don't even know why the question was asked. Perhaps the point was that the systems implemented in MMOs can be similar or the same systems implemented in ARPGs and things would tick along just fine because the issues addressed are very similar*.

** edit **
* There's not that much difference between some MMOs and some non-MMOs.

** edit edit **
You can't steal loot in TSW either. For that matter, there aren't many MMORPG where you can steal loot from other players. Which makes me think the kill stealing was more important than the loot stealing part of the question.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

  Nitth

Elite Member

Joined: 7/29/10
Posts: 3190

Magic Propels my Rolly Chair.

1/01/13 8:36:08 AM#115


Originally posted by nariusseldon
small group dungeons (like in DDO, WOW, LOTRO, DCUO, .....)

arena/battleground pvp (some smaller than BF3)

raids (biggest in WOW is 25 man ... even at 40 man .. it is smaller than BF3 battles)

and not to mention SINGLE PLAYER quests and daily quests.

In fact, the only massive part is the city where people wait for their dungeons/pvp to pop .. and that is just a massive lobby with a massive AH.

So much of the gameplay experience that many players spend most of their time on are not "massive" (like a PS2 hundreds on hundreds battle) in *many* MMOs, may be it is time for MMOs to abandon its roots, and embrace a broader definition. In fact, the texas holden online game i just played is as massive as a MMO. YOu can gamble with 8 people, which has more players than heroic dungeons ... and the lobby is as massive as orgrimmar in WOW.

 


Just to put on sum perspective, Eve has 50k players on concurrently and usually your the loneliest guy in your corner of space.

People is the problem. they don't want massive anymore.


TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

  Banaghran

Novice Member

Joined: 1/17/12
Posts: 872

1/01/13 10:02:10 AM#116
Originally posted by lizardbones
You've come back around to arguing for letting players steal loot. Which is fine, but again, I didn't respond to a question of whether or not it's a good idea to let players steal loot. I answered the question of how you would stop players from stealing loot.

You can have an open world game where players cannot steal loot from other players. How you set this up depends on every other aspect of your mob killing and looting systems. Those systems would depend on what kind of game you want setup and how you want it to play out.

None of this really has anything to do with the OP. I don't even know why the question was asked. Perhaps the point was that the systems implemented in MMOs can be similar or the same systems implemented in ARPGs and things would tick along just fine because the issues addressed are very similar*.

** edit **
* There's not that much difference between some MMOs and some non-MMOs.

** edit edit **
You can't steal loot in TSW either. For that matter, there aren't many MMORPG where you can steal loot from other players. Which makes me think the kill stealing was more important than the loot stealing part of the question.

 

I did not come around, i meant it as a joke, unless you want to waste 2 paragraphs, that is :)

For me the OP was the guy who claimed "If you want to stop a particular behavior in a virtual world, you make it impossible".

** edit **

"Generic observation which is hardly relevant unless i want to start a discussion about it knowing it is a flamed point round here." :)

Flame on!

:)

  nariusseldon

Elite Member

Joined: 12/21/07
Posts: 19115

 
OP  1/01/13 2:31:29 PM#117
Originally posted by Banaghran
 

It is relevant, because people are not machines, you may be one, what do i know, but people in general are not, and they are even less logical thinking than anyone assumes.

You and the devs cannot expect to just say "yellow is the new white, deal with it".

We judge and feel rewards based on our previous rewards and sometimes even arbitrary factors.

To illustrate, you (in a broader sense, meaning "people") will drive across the town for 100 bucks off on a 500 buck dvd player, you will not if it is on a 10k item, yet it is the same 100 bucks.

Similarly, and more to the point, if you drink cheap coke every day, real coke will be a minor improvement in taste (if you like coke, that is), but if you drink water...

In a wow raid scenario you SEE good items drop, it gives people hope and a sense they have accomplished something, which does not come so easy from "yellow gold piles".

I surely hope you farm mp5 for the keys :)

Flame on!

:)

You are arguing about human conditioning that you have no evidence of. You said "In a wow raid scenario you SEE good items drop, it gives people hope and a sense they have accomplished something"

That is no difference than seeing a good yellow, or a good "green" or "legendary" (which btw, has a MUCH higher chance to be good, if it drops at all) dropped.

Instead of conditioning to see "yellow as good", players are now conditioned to see "trifecta stats" as good. There is little difference ... just a different lable. And after a while, players will be conditioned to that .. in fact, i know i did. I got excited when i see trifect stats (+primary +vit), or a 1200+ dps 1H weapon.

Lastly, i have like 10 inferno machnies now, so key farming is no longer a high priority. In fact, it is hard to get a good roll on the hellfire ring .. it is much better to farm for legendaries (and i got a decent chance in MP5). Not gear enough to solo high MP ubers though. 

  nariusseldon

Elite Member

Joined: 12/21/07
Posts: 19115

 
OP  1/01/13 2:33:47 PM#118
Originally posted by Nitth

Just to put on sum perspective, Eve has 50k players on concurrently and usually your the loneliest guy in your corner of space.

People is the problem. they don't want massive anymore.

Why is it a problem? It is just a gaming preference. There is certainly no problem if the devs respond to that desire.

And why would anyone think "massive" is mandatory for fun? Old PnP RPGs are not massive. AD&D is not massive. In fact, most PNP RPG is about small groups of comrades fighting through a dungeon.

Personally i don't think massive is that important for PvE gameplay. The only place that  i enjoy "massive" combat is big pvp battles. (ALthough i do like massive AH/trading, and a massive lobby so you can form small group easily).

  lizardbones

Elite Member

Joined: 6/11/08
Posts: 10375

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

1/02/13 7:54:00 AM#119


Originally posted by Banaghran

Originally posted by lizardbones You've come back around to arguing for letting players steal loot. Which is fine, but again, I didn't respond to a question of whether or not it's a good idea to let players steal loot. I answered the question of how you would stop players from stealing loot. You can have an open world game where players cannot steal loot from other players. How you set this up depends on every other aspect of your mob killing and looting systems. Those systems would depend on what kind of game you want setup and how you want it to play out. None of this really has anything to do with the OP. I don't even know why the question was asked. Perhaps the point was that the systems implemented in MMOs can be similar or the same systems implemented in ARPGs and things would tick along just fine because the issues addressed are very similar*. ** edit ** * There's not that much difference between some MMOs and some non-MMOs. ** edit edit ** You can't steal loot in TSW either. For that matter, there aren't many MMORPG where you can steal loot from other players. Which makes me think the kill stealing was more important than the loot stealing part of the question.  
I did not come around, i meant it as a joke, unless you want to waste 2 paragraphs, that is :)

For me the OP was the guy who claimed "If you want to stop a particular behavior in a virtual world, you make it impossible".

** edit **

"Generic observation which is hardly relevant unless i want to start a discussion about it knowing it is a flamed point round here." :)

Flame on!

:)




You keep coming back to it. It's the only thing you seem to be for rather than against. You're not even arguing against what you stated was the OP. You apparently just don't like the gear drops in D3. You lack the courage of your convictions, sir.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

  Yamota

Elite Member

Joined: 10/05/03
Posts: 6486

"Only cunts name their swords"

1/02/13 8:04:07 AM#120
Originally posted by nariusseldon
Originally posted by Nitth

Just to put on sum perspective, Eve has 50k players on concurrently and usually your the loneliest guy in your corner of space.

People is the problem. they don't want massive anymore.

Why is it a problem? It is just a gaming preference. There is certainly no problem if the devs respond to that desire.

And why would anyone think "massive" is mandatory for fun? Old PnP RPGs are not massive. AD&D is not massive. In fact, most PNP RPG is about small groups of comrades fighting through a dungeon.

Personally i don't think massive is that important for PvE gameplay. The only place that  i enjoy "massive" combat is big pvp battles. (ALthough i do like massive AH/trading, and a massive lobby so you can form small group easily).

It's massively and not massive. And altough it is not mandatory for "fun" it is mandatory for a Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game. It is like creating a multiplayer game and not having any actual multiplayer.

12 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Last Search