Trending Games | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,562 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,295,275
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Angry Birds Epic Anime Ninja Anime Pirates Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Ascend: Hand of Kul Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Boot Hill Heroes Borderlands 2 Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Bound by Flame Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Bravada Bravely Default Bravely Second Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Cast & Conquer Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Child of Light Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Cyberpunk 2077 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark Souls 2 Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Dead Island Dead Island 2 Dead Island: Riptide Deco Online Deep Down Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Divinity: Original Sin Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Age: Inquisition Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Fin Soup Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Drakengard 3 Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dungeon of the Endless Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout 4 Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Fearless Fantasy Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken Uprising Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Heart Forth Alicia Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes & Legends: Conquerors of Kolhar Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Atlan Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings Era Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online Kyn L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Redemption LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Grimrock 2 Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Lichdom: Battlemage Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lords of the Fallen Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance Mass Effect 4 MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms Might & Magic X: Legacy MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Moonrise Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mythborne Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Oort Online Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Overwatch Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Persona V Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pillars of Eternity Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints Pokémon X and Y PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Prodigy Project Blackout Project Gorgon Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Project Zomboid Puzzle Pirates Quest for Infamy Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rail Nation Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of Sierra Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Rebel Galaxy Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Risen 3: Titan Lords Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sacred 3 Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Chance Heroes Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow Realms Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowgate Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian South Park: The Stick of Truth Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Conflict Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Starbound Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Stormthrone Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Styx: Master of Shadows Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online TUG Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Terraria Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Banner Saga The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Epic Might The Hammers End The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2 The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Torment: Tides of Numenera Total Domination Transformers Universe Transistor Transverse Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Triad Wars Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Warflare Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune Wasteland 2 WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warriors World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenoblade Chronicles: X Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online 

General Discussion  » How Season 7 failed

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
25 posts found
  ShardWarrior

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/18/11
Posts: 296

 
OP  12/12/12 11:25:32 AM#1

There has been some discussion here as of late regarding the implementation of "long term systems" , or better known as repetitive (and in some cases time gated) grind content recently added to STO. The debate has been whether or not these were good additions for a content starved game.


I found this very interesting and telling post made over on the official STO forums to share which I believe sums up the issue quite nicely.  The post is from a player who belongs to one of the oldest and (if not the) largest fleets in STO, Jupiter Force.  Those familiar with STO since the beginning will have heard of Jupiter Force as they used to produce the STOked podcast.  Notice the emphasis on used to.   They abandoned the podcast some time ago.


The thread this post appears in deals with a discussion on small fleets suffering under with building their holdings, but I think the post sums up the problem with Season 7 as a whole, as well as the direction STO is going with "long term systems".


To quote the article (Link to original);


As a large fleet we struggle to find the fleet marks to sustain projects in the haul between Tier IV and Tier V, and that is despite having a hundred characters maxed in DOFFs and 30+ people active everyday. With all the various gated systems in the game, not to mention playstyles, it's simply not possible right now to get enough fleet marks to sustain 3 projects a day unless everyone actively farms fleet marks, and fleets simply can't ask members to do this every day for months and months with no end in sight.

...

If it takes a large active fleet like Jupiter Force a month to fill fleet marks on a Starbase upgrade project, I'm sorry but it suggests to me smaller fleets have no shot in hell of filling it in a way that sustains momentum and active engagement with the system by members of small fleets.



I think this part is what hits the nail on the proverbial head.


The way STO has disconnected players from the various currencies required to pace progress to the content systems in the game is the failure of Season 7, and probably the single best thing STO could do to encourage players to try TOR F2P.


So for those touting the "long term systems" as being the salvation of STO and "a good thing", pay close attention to posts like this. This is an active fleet of 30+ players on daily who are telling you "this is too much of a grind and it needs to change." This is the difficulty a larger, active group is facing with just Starbases alone, not including Embassy or Omega rep grinding. Just imagine this from the perspective of the small, casual groups.


I agree with the the author, and IMO this is a good indicator as to what is wrong with STO and Season 7's "content" ... and I use the the word content loosely.

  Po_gg

Elite Member

Joined: 5/12/10
Posts: 2147

12/12/12 12:14:00 PM#2
Originally posted by ShardWarrior

Those familiar with STO since the beginning will have heard of Jupiter Force as they used to produce the STOked podcast.  Notice the emphasis on used to.   They abandoned the podcast some time ago.

Damn... :I

Sorry to take that line out from your post (btw I agree with the rest, I play mostly story and Foundry missions and goofing around with my DOffs, and skipped the Fleet thing entirely because STO became way too grindy for me)

STOked is gone? True, I didn't followed the casts in the last few months, but I kept directing folks (both ingame and on forums) to the page if they had some questions... That's not good news, it's / was a great stream.

  ShardWarrior

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/18/11
Posts: 296

 
OP  12/12/12 12:31:08 PM#3
Yeah STOKed has been gone for almost a year now.  Was indeed a good podcast.
  ShardWarrior

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/18/11
Posts: 296

 
OP  12/12/12 2:41:13 PM#4

Excellent follow-up post can be seen here;



...

But fleets like Jupiter Force, and there may be as many as a dozen in the whole game, are the exceptions, not the rule.


...my concern more specific to the unrealistic access to the various currencies needed by a player to be engaged in the numerous (and increasing number) systems in the game. A player is now gated by time horizontally by each individual system that requires a specific time period to complete a project, but is also gated by time vertically by having to spend time accumulating resources for each individual system independently. There is no functional way in the game to play STO at a reasonable pace and be engaged in the multiple systems simultaneously.


That's a legit problem because it's hard to keep folks motivated when major aspects of what Cryptic advertises as their primary content systems are disconnected from a players gaming experience. What good are Starbases at end game if 99% of the community doesn't have a realistic shot at advancing the system in a way it is even eventually achievable.


I find it hard to believe Starbase Tier V will ever mean anything in STO if only a tiny number of people are in a fleet with one, meaning once built it won't have value for Cryptic to spend resources building more content options for that tiny dedicated Tier V group.


So yeah for me, I'll have a Tier V Starbase, and it will mean nothing because not enough others will have one to inspire Cryptic to develop end game content for the Starbase system. That would suck to work so hard for what amounts to no rewards beyond access to a few more item options. I think most people understand a Tier V Starbase could be a great mechanism for content, particularly via the Foundry, but that doesn't happen if the Starbase is a system that can't be realistically completed by the majority of players...


  Rohn

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/02/08
Posts: 3758

12/12/12 3:57:09 PM#5
Originally posted by ShardWarrior

Excellent follow-up post can be seen here;

 



...

 

But fleets like Jupiter Force, and there may be as many as a dozen in the whole game, are the exceptions, not the rule.


...my concern more specific to the unrealistic access to the various currencies needed by a player to be engaged in the numerous (and increasing number) systems in the game. A player is now gated by time horizontally by each individual system that requires a specific time period to complete a project, but is also gated by time vertically by having to spend time accumulating resources for each individual system independently. There is no functional way in the game to play STO at a reasonable pace and be engaged in the multiple systems simultaneously.


That's a legit problem because it's hard to keep folks motivated when major aspects of what Cryptic advertises as their primary content systems are disconnected from a players gaming experience. What good are Starbases at end game if 99% of the community doesn't have a realistic shot at advancing the system in a way it is even eventually achievable.


I find it hard to believe Starbase Tier V will ever mean anything in STO if only a tiny number of people are in a fleet with one, meaning once built it won't have value for Cryptic to spend resources building more content options for that tiny dedicated Tier V group.


So yeah for me, I'll have a Tier V Starbase, and it will mean nothing because not enough others will have one to inspire Cryptic to develop end game content for the Starbase system. That would suck to work so hard for what amounts to no rewards beyond access to a few more item options. I think most people understand a Tier V Starbase could be a great mechanism for content, particularly via the Foundry, but that doesn't happen if the Starbase is a system that can't be realistically completed by the majority of players...


 

 

In the interest of fairness, here's the post being responded to, since both sides are rarely presented or considered here:

 

"But there is an end in sight, contrary to the part of your rant I highlighted in red. Eventually, your fleet (and mine) will achieve Tier V, which will actually feel like a major accomplishment, which is something that few games allow players to do these days.

Why?

Because the "instant gratification" crowd is being catered to in every game.

Let me ask you a question. Given the size of your fleet, and comparing that to the capabilities of smaller fleets, what if you had attained a T5 Starbase in just two or three weeks? What would you be saying, or more likely, be complaining about then?

"It's too easy!" "It's too fast!" "No challenge!" And, ultimately, "I don't have anything to work toward or do."
Why should a small fleet, with perhaps 2 or 3 active players, be able to attain a major achievement in the game quickly?

Sorry, this is an MMO. I've seen the entire genre turned upside-down because so many casual and solo players expect everything to be easily attained. I'm glad this one system has been different.

And that's ultimately what I see here. The vast majority of the complaining hasn't been about the desire to have a high tier starbase - indeed, most appear to want one. The complaints center around the fact that they can't get one fast or easily enough. That's the problem with the instant gratification mentality, which has been destroying the MMORPG genre for years."

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=7051431&postcount=74

 

The last paragraph is the most telling, and contradicts the message of the original post.  Players do appear to enjoy and want the content, they just want it to be easier to attain.

By the way, as opposed to the misleasing title of this thread, Fleet Advancement was a primary component of Season 6, not Season 7, though Embassies were a part of the FA system added in S7.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

  ShardWarrior

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/18/11
Posts: 296

 
OP  12/12/12 4:21:33 PM#6

First, anyone can read through the entire thread on the official forum as it is linked from the OP.  Second, please show anyone here where someone asked for "instant gratification".    Lastly, you are (again) trying to deflect reality by tossing out the "instant gratification" mantra and dismissing any opinion that differs from your rose colored glasses  view of STO.  Yes, people do want the content.  Anyone who reads the thread can clearly see that.  No, they do not want to spend several years doing the same tedious, boring tasks in order to obtain a single tier in their starbase.  

 

The tasks involved are boring, tedious and repetitive.  Players in the larger fleets are already having retention issues with members because the game has become too much like work and not enough like entertainment.  Fleets with 25+ members are finding it boring and saying it will take us over a year to achieve the top tier.  What about groups less than 25?  Less than 10?  They are looking at years, if at all, to achieve the same.  The effort involved is boring, punitive, and not rewarding.  

 

The situation highlighted with Starbases in the attached post is the same as it is with the "content" that was introduced with Season 7.  That is the gist of the thread.

 

 

 

 

  Rohn

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/02/08
Posts: 3758

12/12/12 4:56:33 PM#7
Originally posted by ShardWarrior

First, anyone can read through the entire thread on the official forum as it is linked from the OP.  Second, please show anyone here where someone asked for "instant gratification".    Lastly, you are (again) trying to deflect reality by tossing out the "instant gratification" mantra and dismissing any opinion that differs from your rose colored glasses  view of STO.  Yes, people do want the content.  Anyone who reads the thread can clearly see that.  No, they do not want to spend several years doing the same tedious, boring tasks in order to obtain a single tier in their starbase.  

 

The tasks involved are boring, tedious and repetitive.  Players in the larger fleets are already having retention issues with members because the game has become too much like work and not enough like entertainment.  Fleets with 25+ members are finding it boring and saying it will take us over a year to achieve the top tier.  What about groups less than 25?  Less than 10?  They are looking at years, if at all, to achieve the same.  The effort involved is boring, punitive, and not rewarding.  

 

The situation highlighted with Starbases in the attached post is the same as it is with the "content" that was introduced with Season 7.  That is the gist of the thread.

 

 

 

 

 

From reading the thread, there are many, many people still engaged in working toward the goal of Fleet Advancement, building a starbase, embassy, what have you.  Some may want to attain the goals faster than others, but they like the content.

That system is almost 6 months old, and it's still got people engaged.

How much "story" content, how many PvE instances, keep giving people a meaningful reason to play for 6 months?

Short answer is: none.  Not in any game.  Story content becomes tedious and repetitive after the first time.

Just my opinion, but long term systems are better at providing meaningful play in a MMO over the long haul, and are much more cost effective than story-based content is to produce.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't like new Episodes.  Overall, I think the stories in STO were better than what you find in most MMOs.  I also think they could tie them in better with gaining marks and such.

Then again, I also like playing Foundry stuff, and see that as a great feature of the game.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

  Mtibbs1989

Hard Core Member

Joined: 12/17/10
Posts: 2852

12/12/12 5:02:24 PM#8
Originally posted by Rohn
Originally posted by ShardWarrior

Excellent follow-up post can be seen here;

 



...

 

But fleets like Jupiter Force, and there may be as many as a dozen in the whole game, are the exceptions, not the rule.


...my concern more specific to the unrealistic access to the various currencies needed by a player to be engaged in the numerous (and increasing number) systems in the game. A player is now gated by time horizontally by each individual system that requires a specific time period to complete a project, but is also gated by time vertically by having to spend time accumulating resources for each individual system independently. There is no functional way in the game to play STO at a reasonable pace and be engaged in the multiple systems simultaneously.


That's a legit problem because it's hard to keep folks motivated when major aspects of what Cryptic advertises as their primary content systems are disconnected from a players gaming experience. What good are Starbases at end game if 99% of the community doesn't have a realistic shot at advancing the system in a way it is even eventually achievable.


I find it hard to believe Starbase Tier V will ever mean anything in STO if only a tiny number of people are in a fleet with one, meaning once built it won't have value for Cryptic to spend resources building more content options for that tiny dedicated Tier V group.


So yeah for me, I'll have a Tier V Starbase, and it will mean nothing because not enough others will have one to inspire Cryptic to develop end game content for the Starbase system. That would suck to work so hard for what amounts to no rewards beyond access to a few more item options. I think most people understand a Tier V Starbase could be a great mechanism for content, particularly via the Foundry, but that doesn't happen if the Starbase is a system that can't be realistically completed by the majority of players...


 

 

In the interest of fairness, here's the post being responded to, since both sides are rarely presented or considered here:

 

"But there is an end in sight, contrary to the part of your rant I highlighted in red. Eventually, your fleet (and mine) will achieve Tier V, which will actually feel like a major accomplishment, which is something that few games allow players to do these days.

Why?

Because the "instant gratification" crowd is being catered to in every game.

Let me ask you a question. Given the size of your fleet, and comparing that to the capabilities of smaller fleets, what if you had attained a T5 Starbase in just two or three weeks? What would you be saying, or more likely, be complaining about then?

"It's too easy!" "It's too fast!" "No challenge!" And, ultimately, "I don't have anything to work toward or do."
Why should a small fleet, with perhaps 2 or 3 active players, be able to attain a major achievement in the game quickly?

Sorry, this is an MMO. I've seen the entire genre turned upside-down because so many casual and solo players expect everything to be easily attained. I'm glad this one system has been different.

And that's ultimately what I see here. The vast majority of the complaining hasn't been about the desire to have a high tier starbase - indeed, most appear to want one. The complaints center around the fact that they can't get one fast or easily enough. That's the problem with the instant gratification mentality, which has been destroying the MMORPG genre for years."

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=7051431&postcount=74

 

The last paragraph is the most telling, and contradicts the message of the original post.  Players do appear to enjoy and want the content, they just want it to be easier to attain.

By the way, as opposed to the misleasing title of this thread, Fleet Advancement was a primary component of Season 6, not Season 7, though Embassies were a part of the FA system added in S7.

GOD I LOVE THAT POST! It's the casual gamers and the people who want instant gratification that's the issue. Thank god some people in the industry still understand this! I feel like going back to STO just because of that statement. I love grind, and I love working towards a very long goal, if their team is willing enough to put grind back into their game they're on the right track.


Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

  ShardWarrior

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/18/11
Posts: 296

 
OP  12/12/12 5:08:50 PM#9


Originally posted by Rohn

From reading the thread, there are many, many people still engaged in working toward the goal of Fleet Advancement, building a starbase, embassy, what have you.  Some may want to attain the goals faster than others, but they like the content. That system is almost 6 months old, and it's still got people engaged.



Yes, it has kept those in the handful of large Fleets engaged. The likely majority who are not in those large fleets however...



How much "story" content, how many PvE instances, keep giving people a meaningful reason to play for 6 months?Short answer is: none.


Cryptic has to add episodic content to the game before anyone can say it would not keep people engaged.

  Rohn

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/02/08
Posts: 3758

12/12/12 5:25:21 PM#10
Originally posted by grounnn
Originally posted by Rohn

In the interest of fairness, here's the post being responded to, since both sides are rarely presented or considered here:

 

"But there is an end in sight, contrary to the part of your rant I highlighted in red. Eventually, your fleet (and mine) will achieve Tier V, which will actually feel like a major accomplishment, which is something that few games allow players to do these days.

Why?

Because the "instant gratification" crowd is being catered to in every game.

Let me ask you a question. Given the size of your fleet, and comparing that to the capabilities of smaller fleets, what if you had attained a T5 Starbase in just two or three weeks? What would you be saying, or more likely, be complaining about then?

"It's too easy!" "It's too fast!" "No challenge!" And, ultimately, "I don't have anything to work toward or do."
Why should a small fleet, with perhaps 2 or 3 active players, be able to attain a major achievement in the game quickly?

Sorry, this is an MMO. I've seen the entire genre turned upside-down because so many casual and solo players expect everything to be easily attained. I'm glad this one system has been different.

And that's ultimately what I see here. The vast majority of the complaining hasn't been about the desire to have a high tier starbase - indeed, most appear to want one. The complaints center around the fact that they can't get one fast or easily enough. That's the problem with the instant gratification mentality, which has been destroying the MMORPG genre for years."

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=7051431&postcount=74

 

The last paragraph is the most telling, and contradicts the message of the original post.  Players do appear to enjoy and want the content, they just want it to be easier to attain.

By the way, as opposed to the misleasing title of this thread, Fleet Advancement was a primary component of Season 6, not Season 7, though Embassies were a part of the FA system added in S7.

GOD I LOVE THAT POST! It's the casual gamers and the people who want instant gratification that's the issue. Thank god some people in the industry still understand this! I feel like going back to STO just because of that statement. I love grind, and I love working towards a very long goal, if their team is willing enough to put grind back into their game they're on the right track.

 

I agree with you 100%.

It's easy to label something - anything - a "grind" simply because it doesn't give out a shiny after an hour or two.

One player's "grind" is another player's "meaningful system".

Systems that took time, effort, and some knowledge are the ones that make an achievement seem meaningful once attained.  That's especially if it was a group effort.

STO's not perfect, but it did get this part right, in my opinion.  Given the obvious interest, it's far from a failure.

By the way, here's another appropriate quote from that thread, from a level-headed CMDRScarlet:

"Ground to a halt? No. 

In a fleet of about 5 players since before S7 our development was already slow. S7 has not increased or decreased our progression at all. My Fleet is in it for the long run as a group. We contribute when we can and if a task is complete then it is. This is what we agreed to in the social contract we made as a group by virtue of making the Fleet and not actively increasing the membership.

From my point of view anybody in a small fleet could (should?) accept that the starbase will not grow at a rate that is noticable from week-to-week. If that is too long then there are really two choices available: 1) stick with it, 2) drop the group and join a bigger Fleet. It's that simple.

The OP has started asking (paraphrased), "Is the Starbase worth it?" That is a question relevant to each person, I think. They are worth it if you feel that way. Nobody has to build a base. No one."

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

  Rohn

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/02/08
Posts: 3758

12/12/12 5:32:32 PM#11
Originally posted by ShardWarrior

Cryptic has to add episodic content to the game before anyone can say it would not keep people engaged.

 

But, thanks to this thread, we now know for a FACT that the long term systems like Fleet Advancement and Personal Advancement keep people engaged.

For 6 months and counting.

Hardly a failure.  Actually, a success.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

  ShardWarrior

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/18/11
Posts: 296

 
OP  12/13/12 8:21:59 AM#12

[quote]

Originally posted by grounnn


GOD I LOVE THAT POST! It's the casual gamers and the people who want instant gratification that's the issue. Thank god some people in the industry still understand this! I feel like going back to STO just because of that statement. I love grind, and I love working towards a very long goal, if their team is willing enough to put grind back into their game they're on the right track.
 

You are right. These "systems" are so popular, that is why most all MMO developers moved away from them. Yep. Must be a very popular feature.



Originally posted by Rohn

But, thanks to this thread, we now know for a FACT that the long term systems like Fleet Advancement and Personal Advancement keep people engaged. For 6 months and counting. Hardly a failure.  Actually, a success.


 


Actually, the contrary. Folks in larger fleets are saying it is hurting their population, morale, retention and activity in the game. Perhaps in your rose colored fantasy view of what STO is as of late it is a "success", but that is far from reality. These may keep people engaged only because there is nothing else to do in the game.

  Rohn

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/02/08
Posts: 3758

12/13/12 12:13:50 PM#13

Just to reiterate, most players appear to agree that they like the content added with Season 6 and 7, they just want it to come faster and easier.

On a side note, balancing also continues to occur, with some changes being made by the patch today.  And there was much rejoicing....

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

  ShardWarrior

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/18/11
Posts: 296

 
OP  12/13/12 1:31:24 PM#14


Originally posted by Rohn
Just to reiterate, most players appear to agree that they like the content added with Season 6 and 7, they just want it to come faster and easier.


Still waiting for you to link to a post where anyone expressly said "give it to us for free and for no work at all".

Yup. This poster specifically mentions "I want it faster and easier for my small group when they said;


No, I don't think they should pay less. What I do believe is the costs in both in-game currencies and time need to be looked at to make them more realistic for the majority of the customers.



On a side note, balancing also continues to occur, with some changes being made by the patch today.  And there was much rejoicing....
 


Yes, they are balancing by making it easier to get Fleet Marks and Dilithium because most of the customers were perfectly happy with how things were and did not want it changed. Yup. That is what happened. ::rolleyes::

  Rohn

Advanced Member

Joined: 7/02/08
Posts: 3758

12/13/12 1:51:22 PM#15
Originally posted by ShardWarrior

 

Yes, they are balancing by making it easier to get Fleet Marks and Dilithium because most of the customers were perfectly happy with how things were and did not want it changed. Yup. That is what happened. ::rolleyes::

 

There's a huge difference between systems in a game that are being balanced, and proclaiming them a "failure".  LOL

Again, players like the system.  It's been a success.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

  Effin_Rabbit

Advanced Member

Joined: 5/26/05
Posts: 724

This Rabbit stinks!

12/13/12 2:08:12 PM#16
Originally posted by ShardWarrior

There has been some discussion here as of late regarding the implementation of "long term systems" , or better known as repetitive (and in some cases time gated) grind content recently added to STO. The debate has been whether or not these were good additions for a content starved game.


I found this very interesting and telling post made over on the official STO forums to share which I believe sums up the issue quite nicely.  The post is from a player who belongs to one of the oldest and (if not the) largest fleets in STO, Jupiter Force.  Those familiar with STO since the beginning will have heard of Jupiter Force as they used to produce the STOked podcast.  Notice the emphasis on used to.   They abandoned the podcast some time ago.


The thread this post appears in deals with a discussion on small fleets suffering under with building their holdings, but I think the post sums up the problem with Season 7 as a whole, as well as the direction STO is going with "long term systems".


To quote the article (Link to original);

 


As a large fleet we struggle to find the fleet marks to sustain projects in the haul between Tier IV and Tier V, and that is despite having a hundred characters maxed in DOFFs and 30+ people active everyday. With all the various gated systems in the game, not to mention playstyles, it's simply not possible right now to get enough fleet marks to sustain 3 projects a day unless everyone actively farms fleet marks, and fleets simply can't ask members to do this every day for months and months with no end in sight.

 

...

If it takes a large active fleet like Jupiter Force a month to fill fleet marks on a Starbase upgrade project, I'm sorry but it suggests to me smaller fleets have no shot in hell of filling it in a way that sustains momentum and active engagement with the system by members of small fleets.


 


I think this part is what hits the nail on the proverbial head.

 


The way STO has disconnected players from the various currencies required to pace progress to the content systems in the game is the failure of Season 7, and probably the single best thing STO could do to encourage players to try TOR F2P.

 


So for those touting the "long term systems" as being the salvation of STO and "a good thing", pay close attention to posts like this. This is an active fleet of 30+ players on daily who are telling you "this is too much of a grind and it needs to change." This is the difficulty a larger, active group is facing with just Starbases alone, not including Embassy or Omega rep grinding. Just imagine this from the perspective of the small, casual groups.


I agree with the the author, and IMO this is a good indicator as to what is wrong with STO and Season 7's "content" ... and I use the the word content loosely.

I agree 100% two thumbs up.

  vonryan123

Novice Member

Joined: 11/09/08
Posts: 149

12/13/12 2:13:29 PM#17
Originally posted by LilFreezy
Originally posted by Rohn
Originally posted by ShardWarrior

 

Yes, they are balancing by making it easier to get Fleet Marks and Dilithium because most of the customers were perfectly happy with how things were and did not want it changed. Yup. That is what happened. ::rolleyes::

 

There's a huge difference between systems in a game that are being balanced, and proclaiming them a "failure".  LOL

Again, players like the system.  It's been a success.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Its not that hard to get fleet marks its not that hard to get dili its not even hard to get the new stuff added. There is a ton of content in this game Story/pve/groups/rep/fleets etc, (notice I didnt mention pvp cause it is fail and to be fair the ONE man team on the pvp stuff I feel sorry for being left solo on such a task).

 

Ok so the game is not the Perfect Star treckie game. so? 

side note: To anyone who thinks 30 people is a huge active fleet makes me sad sad panda (man that phase sucks after mop thats wow yet again cloning shit). Our fleet is so big atm we have off shoot fleets(4 of them) to hold the less active members.

  vonryan123

Novice Member

Joined: 11/09/08
Posts: 149

12/13/12 3:13:00 PM#18

[mod edit]

There is 7 sets of story's with more then  15+ missions in each that can last an hour or more each thats more the 100 hours of just straight story. Thats not even counting any of the off story missions. Thats more content then most at this point. Not to mention STF's or player made or daily's.

just because you rushed to the end does not mean the game is devoid of content

 

NOTE:funny the guy I quoted deleted his post

  Torvaldr

Elite Member

Joined: 6/10/09
Posts: 6022

12/13/12 4:25:37 PM#19

Season 7 is a fail?  That's news to me.

Anyway I don't do fleet stuff.  So if guild stuff is grind and not fun then, okay, but the season is good for me.  The game is fine by me too.  If it stops being fun then I'll stop playing, but it's still fun for me.

Curse you AquaScum!

  Valoreah

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/19/12
Posts: 69

12/19/12 9:22:08 PM#20


Originally posted by Rohn

Again, players like the system.  It's been a success.


 

I think it a bit of a stretch to call the starbase and rep grinding a "success". I wouldn't call it a complete failure, but it certainly isn't a ringing success by any definition. The only reason most seem to be continuing with the rep grind is to satiate the Pokeman mentality and a lack of any other content in the game. Some of the gear you can get is ok, but to be honest there is no content in the game that really calls for it so it's basically pointless to get.

2 Pages 1 2 » Search