Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Elder Scrolls Online | Archlord 2

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,798,674 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,195,793
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Deco Online Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Phoenix Edition LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Project Blackout Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Puzzle Pirates Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Hammers End The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Total Domination Transformers Universe Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

Guild Wars 2

Guild Wars 2 

Reviews & Impressions  » BadSpock's Hitting Bottom: A Re-Review

17 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Last Search
323 posts found
  tordurbar

Advanced Member

Joined: 5/02/10
Posts: 395

10/26/12 5:53:06 PM#101
Originally posted by Iselin

Theme parks are all about learning new systems or the new variation of the old system and leveling. If you stick around after that it's just gravy. The problem as I see it is that we continue to hope that every new MMO will provide some magical activity that will keep us  happy indefinitely. That's just setting yourself up for disappointment.

 

if we continue to play or go back to play it's usually because of some unique personal reason. Me, I like alts and redoing content with new abilities are fun... Not as much fun as the first time around but something I enjoy nevertheless.

 

One good thing about GW2: no sub. Come back or not when the mood strikes you then stay for a day, a week or a month. Life's too short to feel like you are required to enjoy something you don't any more... certainly not when it comes to our chosen form of entertainment.

 

i never say I'm leaving an MMO for good.... I may just be back.

For six years I played WOW - almost every day. That is part of my problem - I keep on looking for the next WOW. It is not going to happen. Yet, like you, I suppose I will just keep trying every one...

  Torvaldr

Elite Member

Joined: 6/10/09
Posts: 5575

10/26/12 5:56:44 PM#102
Originally posted by tordurbar
Originally posted by Iselin

Theme parks are all about learning new systems or the new variation of the old system and leveling. If you stick around after that it's just gravy. The problem as I see it is that we continue to hope that every new MMO will provide some magical activity that will keep us  happy indefinitely. That's just setting yourself up for disappointment.

 

if we continue to play or go back to play it's usually because of some unique personal reason. Me, I like alts and redoing content with new abilities are fun... Not as much fun as the first time around but something I enjoy nevertheless.

 

One good thing about GW2: no sub. Come back or not when the mood strikes you then stay for a day, a week or a month. Life's too short to feel like you are required to enjoy something you don't any more... certainly not when it comes to our chosen form of entertainment.

 

i never say I'm leaving an MMO for good.... I may just be back.

For six years I played WOW - almost every day. That is part of my problem - I keep on looking for the next WOW. It is not going to happen. Yet, like you, I suppose I will just keep trying every one...

I really undestand that sentiment.  I played Lineage for years (not 6 though) and for a long time looked for a game to replace it.  The search is kind of fruitless and totally frustrating.  I guess we each have to come to our own terms about our hobby, but I found that just taking each game for what it is helps a lot.  I'm not trying to play Lineage in GW2 or RIFT or EQ2 or whatever anymore.  I'm just playing the game and that is all.

I think a mind wipe so people could play an mmo like it was their first time again, would be easier to build than a new mmo people here would actually like. - DamonVile

  aesperus

Elite Member

Joined: 1/04/05
Posts: 4663

10/26/12 6:00:47 PM#103
Originally posted by tordurbar
Originally posted by Iselin

Theme parks are all about learning new systems or the new variation of the old system and leveling. If you stick around after that it's just gravy. The problem as I see it is that we continue to hope that every new MMO will provide some magical activity that will keep us  happy indefinitely. That's just setting yourself up for disappointment.

 

if we continue to play or go back to play it's usually because of some unique personal reason. Me, I like alts and redoing content with new abilities are fun... Not as much fun as the first time around but something I enjoy nevertheless.

 

One good thing about GW2: no sub. Come back or not when the mood strikes you then stay for a day, a week or a month. Life's too short to feel like you are required to enjoy something you don't any more... certainly not when it comes to our chosen form of entertainment.

 

i never say I'm leaving an MMO for good.... I may just be back.

For six years I played WOW - almost every day. That is part of my problem - I keep on looking for the next WOW. It is not going to happen. Yet, like you, I suppose I will just keep trying every one...

Well, the problem actually is that 'the next WOW' has already happened, and it keeps happening. However, the model of fun that WOW is based off of has inherent problems. This video kinda sums it up pretty nicely.

WOW is a skinner box mechanic, and as more and more games copy that, people find more and more efficient ways to circumvent, exploit, or burn through that same mechanic.

In short, it's not that the 'next WOW' won't happen. It that the 'next WOW' won't feel anywhere near the same as the inital one (a trend most of us are VERY familiar with). If it's that initial feeling you want, and aren't still tied to the mechanics, then the 'next WOW' for you, will actually be a completely different game.

  GeezerGamer

Elite Member

Joined: 4/03/12
Posts: 4462

It's a combination of Nightingale Armor with the Mod Truebound Deadric Armors

10/26/12 6:02:20 PM#104
Originally posted by Torvaldr
Originally posted by GeezerGamer
Originally posted by Torvaldr
Originally posted by GeezerGamer

GW2 has the most respectabel cash shop I have seen yet. But only in terms of what's relative from one player to the next. I have said this before. I applaud ANET for being one of the only companies to not bullshit it's players and did not introduce some hidden P2W mechanics and some slippery wording to cover it up. (**CoughfuncomCough**) But I don not consider GW2's Cash Shop to be totally benign. The game's economy is all but nonexistant.

Being able to buy boxing gloves and sunglasses undermines the whole concept of progression. It doesn't matter than there are no stats to it. It's in the game, you should have to do something to get it. And, yeah, I get that it's possible to make all items in the game also. But it's still a form of progression. It is something....anything, that get's players out there doing something in the game, then it's one more thing to keep you playing and or do with someone else. If I buy it in the shop, what's the point of playing the game?

RIFT sells mounts and extra goodies with some upgrade packs.  What's the point in playing that game then?

you missed my earlier post. I've already expressed my dislike of those and they are very close to the line. In fact they are prettymuch sitting on it. If Deep's Depot put's one thing in there I can wear, use or consume, then there is no point and I'll quit Rift too.

I read what you said before and I understand, but I don't get why the micro-transaction stuff they sell now gets a pass and future items don't?  How is it any different?  The bottom line is they have stuff for sale as micro-transactions that you don't have to game for.  You can buy it in their web based account cash shop.  So what is the point of playing the game, or at least why does the existing get a free pass?

Because it seems, I don't have a choice. "Stuff" included with CE's are just part of the evolution of it all. It's not about this item is ok but the next one isn't. It's that, should they go that route, I know where it evenutally ends. It's not about a free pass, it's about where does it start and where does it stop. If it stops "here" I can live with it, but setting foot down "that path" taking one more step and one more step, I'm not walking down a road that I know where it ends.

I feel that the state of the genre is such that a total and complete failure is needed so it can be reborn anew.
I'm actually hoping this new generation of 8 button MMOs will make that happen.

  Thillian

Advanced Member

Joined: 5/31/06
Posts: 3221

10/26/12 6:03:46 PM#105
Originally posted by aesperus
Originally posted by xAPOCx

Not for nothing but your whole preseption on the subject is warped at best. as much as i would like to point out to you why, Its been done 100 times before in a 100 other threads.

Just fyi... 350k subs for a sandbox game that old should be all the info you need.

So.. 350k subs for a sandbox game that old is all the info we need. But 9million for a themepark game even older is irrelevant.

Got it, guess I really do have a warped sense of perspective.

I probably shouldn't bring up some of the other themeparks that have also been out for a while (though not quite as long as Eve). If you look at some of the graphs (like MMOData) you may notice a trend. There are no sandboxes over 1mil subs. There is only 1 sandbox over 150k subs, and all other sandboxes charted fall below that mark.

(correction, there is 1 sandbox that surprasses Eve (but not that 1mil mark). Second Life)

How can you not know that EVE is older than WoW?

The problem with sandbox vs themepark is that all the themepark games are AAA with huge advertisments. The total money spent into themepark vs sandbox might be in 99:1 ratio.

REALITY CHECK

  User Deleted
10/26/12 6:07:44 PM#106
Originally posted by BadSpock

First off - want to say that I still think GW2 is a great game for what it is - the quality is high, the fun is worth the price of admission, and I still stand by my original review/op-ed that GW2 is an amazing game.

But I'm just not sure it's for me.

Longevity was always my biggest concern with GW2 - and I've hit that slump.

I know I'll be back, probably often as the business model is perfect for me - the "modern" MMO gamer who hops from game to game and can't stay interested in one thing for too long.

But i've just hit a wall.

-My main is level 77 or 78, and I've been seriously let down.

-Finally did a big dragon fight, Taquatl the Sunless - complete and total failure. Extremely disappointing. Right now it’s pretty much attack dragon -> get feared out of place -> run back and continue spamming.

-Finally got into Orr, 70-75 zone anyways. Extremely disappointing. What I thought/hoped would be a PvE battleground type experience (PvE WvW) is actually in fact just Zerg Merry-Go-Round.

Hop on the train, ride along the zerg from point A to B to C back to A again.

-Halloween event has thus far been extremely disappointing. Candy corn? Who cares, sell it all in TP. Costumes? Don't care. Costume brawl? Not even fun - randomly kicking around LA by Mystic Forge.

Couldn't figure out how to make the damn scanner work / figure it out - not going to cheat and google it. Pointless.

-WvW I have very little interest in. So many complaints of zergs, bugs/broken, lack of any real reason to care, and long wait times.

-sPvP I have very little interest in. Rewards / prestige don't match input. I get a lot of fun out of progression in PvP like in CoD or BF3 or Halo games, haven't found any reason to care about winning/losing in sPvP yet.

-Lost pretty much all interest in crafting, lost all interest in zone completion and grinding Hearts.

-I've run a handful of story mode and explorable mode dungeons. Where are the rewards? Where is the loot? Couple of shitty blues? 10-15 minute corpse hopping bosses? There is no skill/strategy there. And what's it all for, some cool looking cosmetic rewards (and the 10% stat bonus of Exotics?)

-Personal story is a bit of a miss. These "epic" events in the Vigil line are anything but. Apparently a "massive undead siege of Orrians" is 10-15 mobs. The scale and sense of epicness is just pathetic. Limitation of the MMO genre I suppose.

I still get some fun out of toying around with other classes (like right now a Mesmer) but I know if I play for too long I'm going to hit that wall and get bored again in like an hour.

Where's the "dynamic" in the dynamic events?

Where's the point of sPvP / WvW? I get a much better sense of achievement playing Halo or back in UO Factions where taking control of a city/town actually felt like it mattered.

Where is the feeling of accomplishment for doing a great job in a run? It's made me realize I really do miss the Trinity - I hate to say it, but I do. I've always been a Tank/Healer - and I've always strived to be a damn good one too. That was my main feeling of accomplishment beyond just the gear rewards and stat progression - knowing I was good at my job.

Now don't get me wrong - GW2 does some things absolutely great.

1. The combat is fun and exciting, for a while, but the limited skills per Weapon contibutes to getting bored fast. Cooldowns are too long, spend too much time auto-attacking and waiting for cooldowns or being forced to switch to your second set.

I've also grown frustrated for how weak I feel. The pace of combat was so much better at earlier levels. I had this problem MAJOR bad with TOR - fights just take too long for no reason. It doesn't make me feel like a "hero" when I can't cut through swaths of baddies with ease.

Sure, I like having elite/champion/veteran mobs that take a bit of effort to kill. That's fun. But I don't like feeling like I'm hitting with a wet noodle against normal mobs. TOR made this mistake BIG time, and the only MMO where I never felt this way - is WoW.

And yes, I've tried about 6 different trait combinations, weapon combos, etc. On my Guardian at level 77/78 using level 75 Rare weapons, even with the supposed "OP" Greatsword and then Sword/Torch combo. Yes I'm fully Runed 6/6 set w/ Weapon runes, all gear is 75+ blue/green/rare.

The utility skills feel weak. Great for situational help, but I have yet to press ANY button in any class at any level in GW2 where I felt like "Wow, I love this ability it is so freaking cool and awesome."

2. Quality of life features like "Send to Collections" is great. Trading Post from anywhere is superb. No competition for harvesting nodes is splendid. Overflow servers is freak'n brilliant. Dye system and "dye anything anywhere" is amazing. Not quite as great as it'd be with an appearance tab, but the Dye system is awesome.

3. No kill stealing, everyone gets loot, never a bad idea to help another player, cross-profession combos with anyone outside of grouping etc. is awesome and a huge, huge step forward in PvE.

 

I guess, as sad as it is at the end of the day... I need the carrot. The gameplay is just not sufficiently fun enough to keep me interested without the carrot to chase.

I need the Trinity, I need to have a role I am good at.

I think I'm about done with the MMORPG genre to be honest. I have a feeling I am never going to find a single game I am going to play for months and years on end without breaks.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm just like the rest. I will probably end up like the rest bouncing from game to game, new release to new release like an addict chasing the next fix.

The dream of "the game to stick with" is gone for me.

I've hit MMORPG rock bottom.

This is BadSpock, signing off...

Ditto. I'm  continuing to play because there's nothing else out there for me. I'm NOT going back to SWTOR. I don't relish the idea of playing WoW again. I've pretty much played Eve every possible way. As you said, thank god for the B2P business model. I can log on as much or as little as I want. Or I can take 6 months off and come back.

What my friends and I are the MOST disappointed by was how quickly the shine wore off. I played SWTOR for a good 4-6 months before I started having the 'eff this crap' feeling. We're just hitting the 2mo mark for GW2 (early release) and we've been rather frustrated for several weeks now.

Oh, and for all the wonderful listening and general cooperative relationship between ANet and the community in the past (GW1, the GW2 betas) once the game went live, they executed a series of PR moves that were relationship kryptonite. I'm beginning to develop a chronic urge to punch Jon Peters in the face and I *KNOW* I'm not alone.

  aesperus

Elite Member

Joined: 1/04/05
Posts: 4663

10/26/12 6:07:48 PM#107
Originally posted by GeezerGamer
Originally posted by Torvaldr

I read what you said before and I understand, but I don't get why the micro-transaction stuff they sell now gets a pass and future items don't?  How is it any different?  The bottom line is they have stuff for sale as micro-transactions that you don't have to game for.  You can buy it in their web based account cash shop.  So what is the point of playing the game, or at least why does the existing get a free pass?

Because it seems, I don't have a choice. "Stuff" included with CE's are just part of the evolution of it all. It's not about this item is ok but the next one isn't. It's that, should they go that route, I know where it evenutally ends. It's not about a free pass, it's about where does it start and where does it stop. If it stops "here" I can live with it, but setting foot down "that path" taking one more step and one more step, I'm not walking down a road that I know where it ends.

Shouldn't the focus be more on how it affects the actual game? And not whether or not you have a personal bias against such a system?

I've seen a lot of cashshops done wrong, and I do think they need to be watched closely, but I've also seen cashshops done right. It is a bit of a tightrope, but if it doesn't negatively impact the game, shouldn't that be a good thing?

Don't mean to jump in, but I do have a hard time understanding the mindset of wanting to pay more for a game, just to avoid having a cashshop, if the cashshop doesn't really affect the game in any way.

  Gaia_Hunter

Elite Member

Joined: 5/04/12
Posts: 2567

10/26/12 6:09:58 PM#108
Originally posted by BadSpock

Couldn't figure out how to make the damn scanner work / figure it out - not going to cheat and google it. Pointless.


-I've run a handful of story mode and explorable mode dungeons. Where are the rewards? Where is the loot? Couple of shitty blues? 10-15 minute corpse hopping bosses? There is no skill/strategy there. And what's it all for, some cool looking cosmetic rewards (and the 10% stat bonus of Exotics?)

It uses candy corn.

The guy tells you to use it by him.

If you are rezz corpsing bosses for 15 minutes, no I guess there is no strategy involved. When you use strategy you finish paths without having to waypoint.

But someone that has not even 1 level 80 will have problems with figuring strategy.

Why do you do it? To be a badass that finishes dungeons in half hour without dying, Just because the game let you finish dungeons by sheer pocket size it doesn't mean you are doing it the right way.

 

Currently playing: GW2
Cooperative (semi cooperative)board games you should check: Pandemic, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Eldritch Horror, Descent 2.0,Level 7 Omega Protocol, Last Night on Earth

  darkhalf357x

Elite Member

Joined: 1/25/12
Posts: 1089

I'm only playing the role chosen for me. Who you supposed to be?

10/26/12 6:10:00 PM#109
Originally posted by BadSpock

First off - want to say that I still think GW2 is a great game for what it is - the quality is high, the fun is worth the price of admission, and I still stand by my original review/op-ed that GW2 is an amazing game.

But I'm just not sure it's for me.

Longevity was always my biggest concern with GW2 - and I've hit that slump.

I know I'll be back, probably often as the business model is perfect for me - the "modern" MMO gamer who hops from game to game and can't stay interested in one thing for too long.

But i've just hit a wall.

-My main is level 77 or 78, and I've been seriously let down.

-Finally did a big dragon fight, Taquatl the Sunless - complete and total failure. Extremely disappointing. Right now it’s pretty much attack dragon -> get feared out of place -> run back and continue spamming.

-Finally got into Orr, 70-75 zone anyways. Extremely disappointing. What I thought/hoped would be a PvE battleground type experience (PvE WvW) is actually in fact just Zerg Merry-Go-Round.

Hop on the train, ride along the zerg from point A to B to C back to A again.

-Halloween event has thus far been extremely disappointing. Candy corn? Who cares, sell it all in TP. Costumes? Don't care. Costume brawl? Not even fun - randomly kicking around LA by Mystic Forge.

Couldn't figure out how to make the damn scanner work / figure it out - not going to cheat and google it. Pointless.

-WvW I have very little interest in. So many complaints of zergs, bugs/broken, lack of any real reason to care, and long wait times.

-sPvP I have very little interest in. Rewards / prestige don't match input. I get a lot of fun out of progression in PvP like in CoD or BF3 or Halo games, haven't found any reason to care about winning/losing in sPvP yet.

-Lost pretty much all interest in crafting, lost all interest in zone completion and grinding Hearts.

-I've run a handful of story mode and explorable mode dungeons. Where are the rewards? Where is the loot? Couple of shitty blues? 10-15 minute corpse hopping bosses? There is no skill/strategy there. And what's it all for, some cool looking cosmetic rewards (and the 10% stat bonus of Exotics?)

-Personal story is a bit of a miss. These "epic" events in the Vigil line are anything but. Apparently a "massive undead siege of Orrians" is 10-15 mobs. The scale and sense of epicness is just pathetic. Limitation of the MMO genre I suppose.

I still get some fun out of toying around with other classes (like right now a Mesmer) but I know if I play for too long I'm going to hit that wall and get bored again in like an hour.

Where's the "dynamic" in the dynamic events?

Where's the point of sPvP / WvW? I get a much better sense of achievement playing Halo or back in UO Factions where taking control of a city/town actually felt like it mattered.

Where is the feeling of accomplishment for doing a great job in a run? It's made me realize I really do miss the Trinity - I hate to say it, but I do. I've always been a Tank/Healer - and I've always strived to be a damn good one too. That was my main feeling of accomplishment beyond just the gear rewards and stat progression - knowing I was good at my job.

Now don't get me wrong - GW2 does some things absolutely great.

1. The combat is fun and exciting, for a while, but the limited skills per Weapon contibutes to getting bored fast. Cooldowns are too long, spend too much time auto-attacking and waiting for cooldowns or being forced to switch to your second set.

I've also grown frustrated for how weak I feel. The pace of combat was so much better at earlier levels. I had this problem MAJOR bad with TOR - fights just take too long for no reason. It doesn't make me feel like a "hero" when I can't cut through swaths of baddies with ease.

Sure, I like having elite/champion/veteran mobs that take a bit of effort to kill. That's fun. But I don't like feeling like I'm hitting with a wet noodle against normal mobs. TOR made this mistake BIG time, and the only MMO where I never felt this way - is WoW.

And yes, I've tried about 6 different trait combinations, weapon combos, etc. On my Guardian at level 77/78 using level 75 Rare weapons, even with the supposed "OP" Greatsword and then Sword/Torch combo. Yes I'm fully Runed 6/6 set w/ Weapon runes, all gear is 75+ blue/green/rare.

The utility skills feel weak. Great for situational help, but I have yet to press ANY button in any class at any level in GW2 where I felt like "Wow, I love this ability it is so freaking cool and awesome."

2. Quality of life features like "Send to Collections" is great. Trading Post from anywhere is superb. No competition for harvesting nodes is splendid. Overflow servers is freak'n brilliant. Dye system and "dye anything anywhere" is amazing. Not quite as great as it'd be with an appearance tab, but the Dye system is awesome.

3. No kill stealing, everyone gets loot, never a bad idea to help another player, cross-profession combos with anyone outside of grouping etc. is awesome and a huge, huge step forward in PvE.

 

I guess, as sad as it is at the end of the day... I need the carrot. The gameplay is just not sufficiently fun enough to keep me interested without the carrot to chase.

I need the Trinity, I need to have a role I am good at.

I think I'm about done with the MMORPG genre to be honest. I have a feeling I am never going to find a single game I am going to play for months and years on end without breaks.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm just like the rest. I will probably end up like the rest bouncing from game to game, new release to new release like an addict chasing the next fix.

The dream of "the game to stick with" is gone for me.

I've hit MMORPG rock bottom.

This is BadSpock, signing off...

I have to unfortunately agree.  Said better than my comments a few weeks back.  GW2 is a phenomenal game and hopefully introduced some basic changes that all MMOs going forward will adopt.  I will say GW2 inadvertently introduced me to EQ and I've been having a blast.  Rain of Fear - Nov 28th.  Cant wait.

 

  Aerowyn

Novice Member

Joined: 2/20/12
Posts: 7969

10/26/12 6:11:34 PM#110

guys are really missing out..oh well

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  GeezerGamer

Elite Member

Joined: 4/03/12
Posts: 4462

It's a combination of Nightingale Armor with the Mod Truebound Deadric Armors

10/26/12 6:12:04 PM#111
Originally posted by aesperus
Originally posted by GeezerGamer
Originally posted by Torvaldr

I read what you said before and I understand, but I don't get why the micro-transaction stuff they sell now gets a pass and future items don't?  How is it any different?  The bottom line is they have stuff for sale as micro-transactions that you don't have to game for.  You can buy it in their web based account cash shop.  So what is the point of playing the game, or at least why does the existing get a free pass?

Because it seems, I don't have a choice. "Stuff" included with CE's are just part of the evolution of it all. It's not about this item is ok but the next one isn't. It's that, should they go that route, I know where it evenutally ends. It's not about a free pass, it's about where does it start and where does it stop. If it stops "here" I can live with it, but setting foot down "that path" taking one more step and one more step, I'm not walking down a road that I know where it ends.

Shouldn't the focus be more on how it affects the actual game? And not whether or not you have a personal bias against such a system?

I've seen a lot of cashshops done wrong, and I do think they need to be watched closely, but I've also seen cashshops done right. It is a bit of a tightrope, but if it doesn't negatively impact the game, shouldn't that be a good thing?

Don't mean to jump in, but I do have a hard time understanding the mindset of wanting to pay more for a game, just to avoid having a cashshop, if the cashshop doesn't really affect the game in any way.

I just think that MMORPGs should be about going out and getting what you want. You want something, go get it, buy it, trade it, group for it save for it, what ever. Rewards in MMOs should come from earning them. I think being able to buy anything from a cash shop undermines progression. 

I feel that the state of the genre is such that a total and complete failure is needed so it can be reborn anew.
I'm actually hoping this new generation of 8 button MMOs will make that happen.

  Greymantle4

Elite Member

Joined: 2/27/07
Posts: 685

10/26/12 6:20:13 PM#112
In answer to the OP:

Well said and I agree with most of it. The carrot on the stick is where I don't agree when it comes to gear. Give me a crafted economy / player shops / housing / and that would be enough for me.  I miss worlds to live in not the action combat  games we have today. 

  User Deleted
10/26/12 6:21:44 PM#113

Similar reviews and impressions have been posted by others for months. Of course they were all "reported" for trolling and such. Maybe next time people will actually listen to other's opinions instead of reporting them because of some perceived "attack" on their beloved game.

 

And to Spock...come back to WoW. The expansion is fun. At the very minimum, you can try the new Pandarian starting zone for free on a trial account...

 

 

  JackFrosty

Apprentice Member

Joined: 10/05/12
Posts: 60

10/26/12 6:25:21 PM#114
Welcome to the MMO with no endgame.

When I wake up, the real nightmare begins

  aesperus

Elite Member

Joined: 1/04/05
Posts: 4663

10/26/12 6:26:25 PM#115
Originally posted by Thillian
Originally posted by aesperus

So.. 350k subs for a sandbox game that old is all the info we need. But 9million for a themepark game even older is irrelevant.

Got it, guess I really do have a warped sense of perspective.

I probably shouldn't bring up some of the other themeparks that have also been out for a while (though not quite as long as Eve). If you look at some of the graphs (like MMOData) you may notice a trend. There are no sandboxes over 1mil subs. There is only 1 sandbox over 150k subs, and all other sandboxes charted fall below that mark.

(correction, there is 1 sandbox that surprasses Eve (but not that 1mil mark). Second Life)

How can you not know that EVE is older than WoW?

The problem with sandbox vs themepark is that all the themepark games are AAA with huge advertisments. The total money spent into themepark vs sandbox might be in 99:1 ratio.

By a year. You're correct. However, considering it's been ~ a decade for both, I really don't think that extra year really matters much for this discussion.

As for dollar figures, it's really hard to make such an argument without some actual numbers. If we go off the few games where we have decent ballparks, the figures are all over the place. SWTOR is one of the most expensive games ever made, though barely holds Eve's numbers. Whereas WOW spent less than SWTOR on it's initial launch, but has over 9x the subs of both those games. Furthermore, Aion didn't spend as much as either WOW or SWTOR, yet still has a couple mil subs. Runescape, not a huge budget MMO, yet still does surprisingly well. Many of the F2P games have also been very popular.

But I digress. While I'm not going to sit here and pretend that ad revenue doesn't correlate to sales, I will say that there is no data (that I've seen) to suggest that this is the only factor. This whole argument is not only getting away from the OT, but it is also distracting from the original point, which is that there isn't any realistic reason to believe that recreating games from 15 years ago will yield much better results this time around.

It's great to want to play your old favorites, but remakes don't tend to do as well as hoped.

 

  Gorilla

Old School

Joined: 6/07/04
Posts: 2218

10/26/12 6:28:17 PM#116
I'm really enjoying playing with my son a couple of days a week, taking a break apart from that not inclined to grind to get multiple sets of exotics, let alone legendaries. The bot army pisses me off as it tempts me to take that easy option. I might do more next WvW reset. Still get a kick out of the world itself just need more of a reason to run round it. I still think its a pretty remarkable game that has some issues rather than a lacklustre game that has some good bits.
  Torvaldr

Elite Member

Joined: 6/10/09
Posts: 5575

10/26/12 6:35:03 PM#117
Originally posted by GeezerGamer
Originally posted by aesperus
Originally posted by GeezerGamer
Originally posted by Torvaldr

I read what you said before and I understand, but I don't get why the micro-transaction stuff they sell now gets a pass and future items don't?  How is it any different?  The bottom line is they have stuff for sale as micro-transactions that you don't have to game for.  You can buy it in their web based account cash shop.  So what is the point of playing the game, or at least why does the existing get a free pass?

Because it seems, I don't have a choice. "Stuff" included with CE's are just part of the evolution of it all. It's not about this item is ok but the next one isn't. It's that, should they go that route, I know where it evenutally ends. It's not about a free pass, it's about where does it start and where does it stop. If it stops "here" I can live with it, but setting foot down "that path" taking one more step and one more step, I'm not walking down a road that I know where it ends.

Shouldn't the focus be more on how it affects the actual game? And not whether or not you have a personal bias against such a system?

I've seen a lot of cashshops done wrong, and I do think they need to be watched closely, but I've also seen cashshops done right. It is a bit of a tightrope, but if it doesn't negatively impact the game, shouldn't that be a good thing?

Don't mean to jump in, but I do have a hard time understanding the mindset of wanting to pay more for a game, just to avoid having a cashshop, if the cashshop doesn't really affect the game in any way.

I just think that MMORPGs should be about going out and getting what you want. You want something, go get it, buy it, trade it, group for it save for it, what ever. Rewards in MMOs should come from earning them. I think being able to buy anything from a cash shop undermines progression. 

Ok, I'll try and be clearer with my questioning.  Why are the silly gloves and goggles in the GW cash shop such a deal breaker whereas the existing micro-transaction stuff in RIFT gets a pass because you don't have a choice and must live with it?  I don't have a choice in either game and live with it in both.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the complaints, by those who once again jump at the chance to poke at the game, are all valid.  But they should understand also that their games are really subject to very similar sorts of criticisms.  Even WoW is subject to them.  It's just that with its success it can ignore them for now.

The real problem I have is with the OP.  And I don't mean this personally, but more with that group of people that so vehemently pumped the hype and forum zerged any criticism that could have been used to improve the quality of the game.  So instead of having quality discussions we had forum pvp and fostered unrealistic expectations about the game.  Then to have any of them do a reverse back stab not only removes any last shred of credibility they might have had but is just bad community behavior period.

Not only that, but we're seeing the next cycle of this hype crap with EQN, TESO, and RIFT:Storm Legion, among others.  It's a bad cycle that we should break.

I think a mind wipe so people could play an mmo like it was their first time again, would be easier to build than a new mmo people here would actually like. - DamonVile

  aesperus

Elite Member

Joined: 1/04/05
Posts: 4663

10/26/12 6:35:25 PM#118
Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I just think that MMORPGs should be about going out and getting what you want. You want something, go get it, buy it, trade it, group for it save for it, what ever. Rewards in MMOs should come from earning them. I think being able to buy anything from a cash shop undermines progression. 

Ah.. from that perspective, it make a lot of sense.
I don't really focus on progression as much. Instead I try and focus more on customization (when games allow me to do this).

  Foomerang

Elite Member

Joined: 11/10/05
Posts: 4780

A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

10/26/12 6:38:25 PM#119

[quote]Originally posted by Gorilla
[bI still think its a pretty remarkable game that has some issues rather than a lacklustre game that has some good bits.[/b][/quote]
Very well put. Such a huge difference in the type of game just from those two descriptions.

If you thought the events were dynamic, you'll think the stories are living.

  aesperus

Elite Member

Joined: 1/04/05
Posts: 4663

10/26/12 6:43:19 PM#120
Originally posted by Torvaldr

Not only that, but we're seeing the next cycle of this hype crap with EQN, TESO, and RIFT:Storm Legion, among others.  It's a bad cycle that we should break.

I've really got to agree with this ^

When it comes to GW2, the hype was nearly 100% player driven. Anet did release some promotional stuff, but they really only had a few Ads, and most of them honestly sucked.

What I find the most frustrating, is even now, much of the criticism of GW2 comes down to personal preference or bias. At least on this site, there are very few legitimate discussions that need to be had. I haven't seen much talking about the problems w/ WvW atm. Up until very recently, I haven't seen many discussions on how some of the dragon fights could be better.

It's easy to hype up games and then dump on them. However that doesn't help anyone. What I'd like to see happening more on this site are actual discussions about the mechanics of some of these games. What some of the improvements are, and what are some areas that can be improved upon. I'm not holding my breath though.

17 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Last Search