Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Marvel Heroes | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,078 Users Online:0
Games:712  Posts:6,173,562
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Deco Online Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Phoenix Edition LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Project Blackout Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Puzzle Pirates Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Hammers End The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Total Domination Transformers Universe Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

General Discussion

General Discussion 

The Pub at MMORPG.COM  » What about indie MMOs?

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
22 posts found
  blognorg

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 2/25/11
Posts: 650

 
OP  10/18/12 2:06:21 AM#1

I've beceome less intersted in AAA MMOs as time goes on, and have been looking to the indie market for a breath of fresh air. There's actually a game called Citadel of Sorcery that started a Kickstarter campaign. They certainly have some big ideas. Who knows if they'll pull it off in the end, but I'm willing to toss a few bucks their way to help them out. I mean, I don't expect it to look and play like a triple-A game, but I'm more interested in the ideas and mechanics, and this game sounds pretty interesting in those areas. What good is a game that has a lot of spectacle if it's not engaging or emersive? That's been my issue with many of the MMOs of the last few years; I'll play for a month or so, then quit after I've felt that I've seen what it has to offer.


A few things that grabbed me about this game:


1. An earth-sized world... literally. It will take you months (of real time) to accross portions of it. It's all procedually generated, so it's probably not going to be as interesting as something that has been handcrafted. However, they have a lot of systems to govern how it develops. And what I like about it best is that the transition between different biomes will make sense and be gradual. Sudden changes in environments always kind of bugged me. Plus, they are still doing a lot of handcrafted content.


2. NPCs that live their own lives. It's kind of like Oblivion on steroids. I really doubt they are going to have voice acting or anything, but the NPCs are supposed to be more than just some lifeless robots spouting off a few lines of dialogue. They're all supposed to have jobs, friends, hobbies, and the ability to interact with other NPCs ina variety of random occurences. They claim that not even they know what the NPCs will do. I'm sure there is going to be inevitable not-so-intential hilarious NPC behavior, but as long as it's not game-breaking, it might be kind of endearing. I'm not expecting the interactions to be as good as scripted stuff, but at least it wil be different, and it will be entertaining none the less.


3. No traditional questing... not even close. I don't really know all that much about it yet, but it's supposed to be quite dynamic with the quests lasting maybe a week of playtime. Quests have never been a huge draw for me, especially what passes for quests these days. I'm a bit apprehensive about this, but the fact that are trying something unusual and ambitious has gotten my attention.


4. The world changes. Because so much of it procedurally generated, it will continue to change. Trees will grow (slowly), the terrain will erode and there will be seasons. Also, monsters stay dead, which seemed like a weird thing to say when I first read it. What they mean by that is that mobs have some type of agenda and are inherently different. For instance, if you have an altercation with an enemy, it will know you and may even hunt you down. However, once it's dead, it's dead. I don't know all that much about it yet, but it sounds interesting.


5. No classes or level cap. I'm not even 100% sure if there even are levels. There are like 1800 some odd skills that you can choose from, and they can be leveled up in some fashion, but that's all I know about it. But there's one thing for sure... no end game. For realsie reals this time. You never stop devleoping your character, and you will never run out of space to explore.


They built it up quite a bit, and I doubt it will live up to everyone's expectations (but what game does?), but it stands out to me, and it seems like a game that I can actually get engaged in. It may not have the spectacle, and it may not be as tight as a game with 10x the budget, but it definitely sounds like a game that I can lose myself in. Hell, I could just walk north for a few months. I suppose some will find the prospect of that boring, but that's why we have so many WoW clones.


I realize that this turned into a plug for CoS, but it's the main indie game that I have my eye on at the moment. If you have any info about any others, please share. What are your thoughts on the AAA market today, and do you think there is hope in the indie market?


Oh, just a side note, I don't work for them or anything. Check my history if you don't believe me. I'm just an MMO fan that wants to see something different, but has realistic expectations.

  kaiser3282

Tipster

Joined: 5/21/08
Posts: 2599

10/18/12 2:23:30 AM#2
Yeah, theres several good looking indies in the making. CoS is one of them, along with Origins of Malu and The Repopulation. All of them quite sandboxy. Hopefully at least 1 of them pulls it off very well so we can have ourselves a nice sandbox to play in.
  senadin

Novice Member

Joined: 7/01/04
Posts: 226

10/18/12 5:09:32 AM#3

Yeah CoS is definitely worth taking a look at!

If they can pull it off.... it's gona be huge!

  Rimmersman

Advanced Member

Joined: 10/15/12
Posts: 911

10/18/12 5:17:11 AM#4

Although i agree with the OP, that would take a whole heap of cash. I think the biggest world i've ever come across was Dark&Light.

http://www.darkandlight.com/en/

  Salio69

Advanced Member

Joined: 5/29/06
Posts: 420

10/18/12 8:24:21 AM#5
a large massive world sounds like a sparse populated land. no point in playing an mmo if you arent playing with other people. unless everyone stays in one place and which case the rest of the world is just a waste. i like the concept but in reality, not gonna work.
  lars1134

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/20/09
Posts: 115

10/18/12 8:29:57 AM#6
Originally posted by blognorg

I've beceome less intersted in AAA MMOs as time goes on, and have been looking to the indie market for a breath of fresh air. There's actually a game called Citadel of Sorcery that started a Kickstarter campaign. They certainly have some big ideas. Who knows if they'll pull it off in the end, but I'm willing to toss a few bucks their way to help them out. I mean, I don't expect it to look and play like a triple-A game, but I'm more interested in the ideas and mechanics, and this game sounds pretty interesting in those areas. What good is a game that has a lot of spectacle if it's not engaging or emersive? That's been my issue with many of the MMOs of the last few years; I'll play for a month or so, then quit after I've felt that I've seen what it has to offer.


A few things that grabbed me about this game:


1. An earth-sized world... literally. It will take you months (of real time) to accross portions of it. It's all procedually generated, so it's probably not going to be as interesting as something that has been handcrafted. However, they have a lot of systems to govern how it develops. And what I like about it best is that the transition between different biomes will make sense and be gradual. Sudden changes in environments always kind of bugged me. Plus, they are still doing a lot of handcrafted content.


2. NPCs that live their own lives. It's kind of like Oblivion on steroids. I really doubt they are going to have voice acting or anything, but the NPCs are supposed to be more than just some lifeless robots spouting off a few lines of dialogue. They're all supposed to have jobs, friends, hobbies, and the ability to interact with other NPCs ina variety of random occurences. They claim that not even they know what the NPCs will do. I'm sure there is going to be inevitable not-so-intential hilarious NPC behavior, but as long as it's not game-breaking, it might be kind of endearing. I'm not expecting the interactions to be as good as scripted stuff, but at least it wil be different, and it will be entertaining none the less.


3. No traditional questing... not even close. I don't really know all that much about it yet, but it's supposed to be quite dynamic with the quests lasting maybe a week of playtime. Quests have never been a huge draw for me, especially what passes for quests these days. I'm a bit apprehensive about this, but the fact that are trying something unusual and ambitious has gotten my attention.


4. The world changes. Because so much of it procedurally generated, it will continue to change. Trees will grow (slowly), the terrain will erode and there will be seasons. Also, monsters stay dead, which seemed like a weird thing to say when I first read it. What they mean by that is that mobs have some type of agenda and are inherently different. For instance, if you have an altercation with an enemy, it will know you and may even hunt you down. However, once it's dead, it's dead. I don't know all that much about it yet, but it sounds interesting.


5. No classes or level cap. I'm not even 100% sure if there even are levels. There are like 1800 some odd skills that you can choose from, and they can be leveled up in some fashion, but that's all I know about it. But there's one thing for sure... no end game. For realsie reals this time. You never stop devleoping your character, and you will never run out of space to explore.


They built it up quite a bit, and I doubt it will live up to everyone's expectations (but what game does?), but it stands out to me, and it seems like a game that I can actually get engaged in. It may not have the spectacle, and it may not be as tight as a game with 10x the budget, but it definitely sounds like a game that I can lose myself in. Hell, I could just walk north for a few months. I suppose some will find the prospect of that boring, but that's why we have so many WoW clones.


I realize that this turned into a plug for CoS, but it's the main indie game that I have my eye on at the moment. If you have any info about any others, please share. What are your thoughts on the AAA market today, and do you think there is hope in the indie market?


Oh, just a side note, I don't work for them or anything. Check my history if you don't believe me. I'm just an MMO fan that wants to see something different, but has realistic expectations.

It doesnt take months to cross the world of Xsyon. But it will take you hours and hours of hiding, killing and meeting with other players and animals. What you suggest probably wont ever exist solely because of the mindset of mmo-players nowadays. Your best bet at getting something like that is playing games like Xsyon, supporting them and making them bigger with every month you create the world as you wish.

  Dakirn

Advanced Member

Joined: 2/16/04
Posts: 356

10/18/12 12:20:27 PM#7
Originally posted by Salio69
a large massive world sounds like a sparse populated land. no point in playing an mmo if you arent playing with other people. unless everyone stays in one place and which case the rest of the world is just a waste. i like the concept but in reality, not gonna work.

If you've read through what they post, the game doesn't take place in the entire world.  There are territories that are about the size of WoW each.  Those territories sit on the planet, though, and you can explore out from them and see things nobody else ever has.

 

It's also plenty of room to grow, which they plan to do with their other games taking place in the same world, on the same planet.

 

They use some very advanced planet generation stuff to do it (they have a YouTube channel with videos that talk about it).

 

I would suggest if you're interested in it at all you read up on it because it seems like they've figured out the answers to problems like that already.

  Biskop

Novice Member

Joined: 10/06/11
Posts: 731

10/18/12 1:04:59 PM#8
Is this thread about indie games or about CoS?

I don't know enough about the game, except that it sounds to good to be true.

As for indie games in general, I'm an avid supporter of indie devs doing stuff the AAA suits never thought was possible. Still, big balls and great ideas only get you so far. I've seen too many cases of overhyping and underdelivering lately - I'm not falling for it any more.

When some indie dev actually delivers all the amazing, revolutionary feaures they talk about, and provide me with a working game, I'll be more than happy to give them my money. Until then, I'll just listen to the talk. Talk is cheap.
  TheeLord

Novice Member

Joined: 5/16/06
Posts: 71

10/18/12 2:11:41 PM#9
Informant developers are the future of mmos, niche market video games will take off soon
  Zorgo

Hard Core Member

Joined: 12/05/05
Posts: 2187

Who did wrong? The advertiser hired to sell the game or the consumer who put faith in advertising?

10/18/12 2:16:55 PM#10
Originally posted by Rimmersman

Although i agree with the OP, that would take a whole heap of cash. I think the biggest world i've ever come across was Dark&Light.

http://www.darkandlight.com/en/

But I think this is also the poster child for why one should be skeptical of indie titles.

  blognorg

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 2/25/11
Posts: 650

 
OP  10/18/12 9:26:51 PM#11


Originally posted by Biskop Is this thread about indie games or about CoS? I don't know enough about the game, except that it sounds to good to be true. As for indie games in general, I'm an avid supporter of indie devs doing stuff the AAA suits never thought was possible. Still, big balls and great ideas only get you so far. I've seen too many cases of overhyping and underdelivering lately - I'm not falling for it any more. When some indie dev actually delivers all the amazing, revolutionary feaures they talk about, and provide me with a working game, I'll be more than happy to give them my money. Until then, I'll just listen to the talk. Talk is cheap.
 

A little of both, I guess. Another one that looks interesting to me is Embers of Caerus, though hasn't had nearly the production length as CoS has. Also, it looks to be more similar to Darkfall or Mortal Online, which I tried, but couldn't quite get into. I'm keeping my eye on it, but it still has a long ways to go.

  Vyeth

Advanced Member

Joined: 12/17/07
Posts: 1460

Celebrated pariah of MMORPG.com

10/18/12 9:37:41 PM#12
Originally posted by lars1134
...

It doesnt take months to cross the world of Xsyon. But it will take you hours and hours of hiding, killing and meeting with other players and animals. What you suggest probably wont ever exist solely because of the mindset of mmo-players nowadays. Your best bet at getting something like that is playing games like Xsyon, supporting them and making them bigger with every month you create the world as you wish.

You are absolutely right.. And no matter how many people on this forum may say otherwise I guarantee that one of the first QQ threads or mass complaints in the forums post launch will be "travel time".. And then in pops the instant and fast travel options..

They won't stop there though, all the features that make themeparks what they are, are going to be the things people bitch about that are "missing"..

"Help, I can't find where to turn this quest into! We need markers!"

We are our own worst enemies.. And some of us don't even know it yet..

  blognorg

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 2/25/11
Posts: 650

 
OP  10/19/12 2:09:45 AM#13


Originally posted by Vyeth

Originally posted by lars1134

...
It doesnt take months to cross the world of Xsyon. But it will take you hours and hours of hiding, killing and meeting with other players and animals. What you suggest probably wont ever exist solely because of the mindset of mmo-players nowadays. Your best bet at getting something like that is playing games like Xsyon, supporting them and making them bigger with every month you create the world as you wish.
You are absolutely right.. And no matter how many people on this forum may say otherwise I guarantee that one of the first QQ threads or mass complaints in the forums post launch will be "travel time".. And then in pops the instant and fast travel options.. They won't stop there though, all the features that make themeparks what they are, are going to be the things people bitch about that are "missing".. "Help, I can't find where to turn this quest into! We need markers!" We are our own worst enemies.. And some of us don't even know it yet..

I agree. That's why I like niche games. I'd rather play a low-budget game that really suits me vs some homogenized corporate concoction that's designed for mass appeal. A lot of indie games don't really strike my fancy though. I'm not a terribly hardcore player, so games with FFA PvP w/full loot isn't my cup of tea. That being said, I'm glad that games like that exist, and I'm glad the some developers don't compromise on their features. Mass audience games (most of them) either don't appeal to me, or just can't hold my interest for long.

  senadin

Novice Member

Joined: 7/01/04
Posts: 226

10/19/12 2:21:37 AM#14

The thing with CoS is you have the choice. You can travel crazy distances very quickly or hoof it.

I am very sceptical of this game but i did plunk quite a bit of dough. This game appeals to me. I want a MMO with a living world. This game has it!

  User Deleted
10/19/12 2:34:38 AM#15

Unfortunately for many it works out like this:

 

Player: I want new, I want innovative, I want fresh gameplay...

 

Interviewer: Well have you tried Brand-X Indie Game?

 

Player: Yeah, but it sucked.  Nothing like a mainstream game and the graphics looked it was done by a bunch of guys in a garage.

 

Interviewer:  Well it was done by a bunch of guys in a garage.

 

Player:  See, I was right then.

  Dakirn

Advanced Member

Joined: 2/16/04
Posts: 356

10/19/12 4:49:44 AM#16
Originally posted by XAPGames

Unfortunately for many it works out like this:

 

Player: I want new, I want innovative, I want fresh gameplay...

 

Interviewer: Well have you tried Brand-X Indie Game?

 

Player: Yeah, but it sucked.  Nothing like a mainstream game and the graphics looked it was done by a bunch of guys in a garage.

 

Interviewer:  Well it was done by a bunch of guys in a garage.

 

Player:  See, I was right then.

Yeah.. a lot of people are so caught up in looks of a game and forget that it's a game.

 

In CoS's case, they've tried to explain the models and graphics of the current PRE-ALPHA state, but people just don't read it I guess.  It's placeholder, as in temporary, as in to be chucked away.. one of the bottle necks funding is needed for.

 

The entire PC/NPC set of models were thrown together as high poly models to test the engine.  Not a single one is staying because the ACTUAL body generation system hasn't been written yet (and is incredibly important because it is also used to generate unique NPCs for the questhing system).

 

They've always been up front on their forums about it and the stuff on their site and the KS project.. the engine and game isn't complete.. it's not even to Alpha.  It still needs work, but pretty sparklies weren't the top priority for a workable Alpha when you have the other goals of an earth sized planet, NPCs living lives, and their questing system.  Pretty graphics, particle effects engines and PC/NPC model generation systems are not "unknown risks" that are impossible to do.  If they had made those first, all they would have is some pretty bodies, particle effects and absolutely nothing else.

 

Unfortunately too many people see what's there rather than the potential of what will be there by time it's anywhere CLOSE to releasing (again.. pre-alpha, not alpha... most games don't show anything at all before alpha, usually late alpha).

 

The fortunate part for me (and others who are interested in CoS) is that they've always planned to release the game no matter the outcome of KS.  It's just going to take longer.  I hope they end up doing their own crowd sourcing (besides investors and publishers once the Alpha is working).

 

Origins of Malu looks like a pretty good game too, yet some players can't get around their models/graphics/art.

 

Xyson, same way.

 

It's unfortunate that for a large portion of the player base it seems like looks greatly trump the game play, especially when so many are nostalgic for games like vanilla EQ, DAoC, Ultima Online, etc.

 

I still think Indies are the future of MMORPGs, though.. the ones that will take the financial risk to make a big change because they love games and the genre and not because they're looking for the highest rate of return on the investment.

 

At least Minecraft is doing okay.

  blognorg

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 2/25/11
Posts: 650

 
OP  10/19/12 2:36:00 PM#17


Originally posted by XAPGames Unfortunately for many it works out like this:   Player: I want new, I want innovative, I want fresh gameplay...   Interviewer: Well have you tried Brand-X Indie Game?   Player: Yeah, but it sucked.  Nothing like a mainstream game and the graphics looked it was done by a bunch of guys in a garage.   Interviewer:  Well it was done by a bunch of guys in a garage.   Player:  See, I was right then.
 

lol... isn't that the truth. We all want good-looking games with tight controls, but I would rather have a clunky game with 5-10 year old graphics that I can stand to play for more than a few weeks. What I really can't stand is a mix; you know, the cheap WoW clones. It seems like that's what the majority of MMOs are today. Even GW2 didn't really feel different enough. For the most part, the crafting, leveling, and gear mechanics were pretty similar to the MMO status quo. It's not a bad game, and it looks nice, but none of its features really clicked with me in a way that was conducive for longevity.

  blognorg

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 2/25/11
Posts: 650

 
OP  10/19/12 2:45:21 PM#18


Originally posted by Dakirn

Originally posted by XAPGames Unfortunately for many it works out like this:   Player: I want new, I want innovative, I want fresh gameplay...   Interviewer: Well have you tried Brand-X Indie Game?   Player: Yeah, but it sucked.  Nothing like a mainstream game and the graphics looked it was done by a bunch of guys in a garage.   Interviewer:  Well it was done by a bunch of guys in a garage.   Player:  See, I was right then.
Yeah.. a lot of people are so caught up in looks of a game and forget that it's a game.   In CoS's case, they've tried to explain the models and graphics of the current PRE-ALPHA state, but people just don't read it I guess.  It's placeholder, as in temporary, as in to be chucked away.. one of the bottle necks funding is needed for.   The entire PC/NPC set of models were thrown together as high poly models to test the engine.  Not a single one is staying because the ACTUAL body generation system hasn't been written yet (and is incredibly important because it is also used to generate unique NPCs for the questhing system).   They've always been up front on their forums about it and the stuff on their site and the KS project.. the engine and game isn't complete.. it's not even to Alpha.  It still needs work, but pretty sparklies weren't the top priority for a workable Alpha when you have the other goals of an earth sized planet, NPCs living lives, and their questing system.  Pretty graphics, particle effects engines and PC/NPC model generation systems are not "unknown risks" that are impossible to do.  If they had made those first, all they would have is some pretty bodies, particle effects and absolutely nothing else.   Unfortunately too many people see what's there rather than the potential of what will be there by time it's anywhere CLOSE to releasing (again.. pre-alpha, not alpha... most games don't show anything at all before alpha, usually late alpha).   The fortunate part for me (and others who are interested in CoS) is that they've always planned to release the game no matter the outcome of KS.  It's just going to take longer.  I hope they end up doing their own crowd sourcing (besides investors and publishers once the Alpha is working).   Origins of Malu looks like a pretty good game too, yet some players can't get around their models/graphics/art.   Xyson, same way.   It's unfortunate that for a large portion of the player base it seems like looks greatly trump the game play, especially when so many are nostalgic for games like vanilla EQ, DAoC, Ultima Online, etc.   I still think Indies are the future of MMORPGs, though.. the ones that will take the financial risk to make a big change because they love games and the genre and not because they're looking for the highest rate of return on the investment.   At least Minecraft is doing okay.
 

There are always going to be skeptics. And that's fine, as long as they are informed. There's still a lot that I don't know about CoS, and it'll be those details that will make or break it for me. I like a lot of the things that they talk about. And after reading the developer blog, it seems like they already have a lot of it working. However, I still don't know anything about how the skills, leveling or gear works. I just can't take another color-coordinated, stat-gernerated system. Or a crafting system like Gw2/WoW that we've all seen a million+ times. I doubt they are going to stick very close to that, but I'm suprised of where some games decied to stick to convention, so I'm just waiting to see. Another thing is the quests. It definitely sounds like it has potential, but with such an ambition system, it seems like there's more that could go wrong. Can you imagine if the implemented some "!" system. That would kill it for me on the spot. But with such an open-ended quest system, I wonder how they are going to help players along without blantantly putting a marker on their map. Despite many of the unknowns, it's most anticipated MMO on the horizon.

  Dakirn

Advanced Member

Joined: 2/16/04
Posts: 356

10/19/12 7:30:40 PM#19
Originally posted by blognorg

 



There are always going to be skeptics. And that's fine, as long as they are informed. There's still a lot that I don't know about CoS, and it'll be those details that will make or break it for me. I like a lot of the things that they talk about. And after reading the developer blog, it seems like they already have a lot of it working. However, I still don't know anything about how the skills, leveling or gear works. I just can't take another color-coordinated, stat-gernerated system. Or a crafting system like Gw2/WoW that we've all seen a million+ times. I doubt they are going to stick very close to that, but I'm suprised of where some games decied to stick to convention, so I'm just waiting to see. Another thing is the quests. It definitely sounds like it has potential, but with such an ambition system, it seems like there's more that could go wrong. Can you imagine if the implemented some "!" system. That would kill it for me on the spot. But with such an open-ended quest system, I wonder how they are going to help players along without blantantly putting a marker on their map. Despite many of the unknowns, it's most anticipated MMO on the horizon.

 

There is nothing in CoS like what you're talking about.  Read the FAQ on the site, or even make a forum account there and ask.. the developers actually respond to their community.

 

Skills: 1890 unique abilities, there is no class system.  You can learn any ability, you start with 10 basic ones.  You can get the tome of knowlede for any ability you want through a quest or buying from another player.  You can practice to increase skill for a little, then you put study points in to keep making an ability more powerful.  There is no cap (just diminising returns far down the line).

Levels: There are two levels, Grim and Radiant.  There is no level cap and it's designed so high and low level players can group/quest together.

Crafting/gear: Has a potential value and you determine it's stats through what they call Crafting by Adventure. You research enhancements you want on the item and do a quest to get a talisman or rune to work into the item, using potential but making the item custom.  Also since the power is in the enhancements, you can make any item look like anything you want.. magical robes are as good as platemail.

Quests: Oh my god no.  There is no "!" .. there is no marker at all.  There aren't quests in the WoW sense.  You have your personal story, which is what you are doing.  When you need to continue your story, the game finds ways to get you on the quest.. be it a messenger finding you, or an NPC accosting you on the street.  There are no quest giver NPCs (since they all live lives and never stand around) and no player will get the same quest from the same NPC EVER.

That's a brief rundown of things you mentioned.  I'd really suggest you register on their forums and ask them directly anything you're concerned about because they'll answer it.

  blognorg

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 2/25/11
Posts: 650

 
OP  10/20/12 12:49:30 PM#20


Originally posted by Dakirn

Originally posted by blognorg  


There are always going to be skeptics. And that's fine, as long as they are informed. There's still a lot that I don't know about CoS, and it'll be those details that will make or break it for me. I like a lot of the things that they talk about. And after reading the developer blog, it seems like they already have a lot of it working. However, I still don't know anything about how the skills, leveling or gear works. I just can't take another color-coordinated, stat-gernerated system. Or a crafting system like Gw2/WoW that we've all seen a million+ times. I doubt they are going to stick very close to that, but I'm suprised of where some games decied to stick to convention, so I'm just waiting to see. Another thing is the quests. It definitely sounds like it has potential, but with such an ambition system, it seems like there's more that could go wrong. Can you imagine if the implemented some "!" system. That would kill it for me on the spot. But with such an open-ended quest system, I wonder how they are going to help players along without blantantly putting a marker on their map. Despite many of the unknowns, it's most anticipated MMO on the horizon.
  There is nothing in CoS like what you're talking about.  Read the FAQ on the site, or even make a forum account there and ask.. the developers actually respond to their community.   Skills: 1890 unique abilities, there is no class system.  You can learn any ability, you start with 10 basic ones.  You can get the tome of knowlede for any ability you want through a quest or buying from another player.  You can practice to increase skill for a little, then you put study points in to keep making an ability more powerful.  There is no cap (just diminising returns far down the line). Levels: There are two levels, Grim and Radiant.  There is no level cap and it's designed so high and low level players can group/quest together. Crafting/gear: Has a potential value and you determine it's stats through what they call Crafting by Adventure. You research enhancements you want on the item and do a quest to get a talisman or rune to work into the item, using potential but making the item custom.  Also since the power is in the enhancements, you can make any item look like anything you want.. magical robes are as good as platemail. Quests: Oh my god no.  There is no "!" .. there is no marker at all.  There aren't quests in the WoW sense.  You have your personal story, which is what you are doing.  When you need to continue your story, the game finds ways to get you on the quest.. be it a messenger finding you, or an NPC accosting you on the street.  There are no quest giver NPCs (since they all live lives and never stand around) and no player will get the same quest from the same NPC EVER. That's a brief rundown of things you mentioned.  I'd really suggest you register on their forums and ask them directly anything you're concerned about because they'll answer it.
It's good to hear that there aren't any quest markers. I hadn't read anything that talked specifically about them.

 

I had heard about the 1800 some odd skills, but I'm not sure anyone knows much more than that. I'm not sure they've released any more information on them.

 

I read a little about the "craft by adventure" system, but I'm still pretty unclear about how it all work, or if there are any other aspects to it, like resourece gathering. It would seem like an odd choice not to have harvesting in the game.

 

Hopefully they'll be able to get the Kickstarter funding, but it's not looking promising at the moment. They said that it'll get finished regardless, though. It's hard to gauge how all their ideas will pan out because many of them are so different. I'll have to wait to play it so see how it all comes togehter. 

2 Pages 1 2 » Search