Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Neverwinter | World of Warcraft

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,819,129 Users Online:0
Games:731  Posts:6,216,432
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Deco Online Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Phoenix Edition LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Project Blackout Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Puzzle Pirates Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Hammers End The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Total Domination Transformers Universe Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

Guild Wars 2

Guild Wars 2 

Reviews & Impressions  » I'm pretty much done.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
95 posts found
  User Deleted
9/28/12 4:23:33 PM#21

It's my personal opinion.

The game is shallow and fells like a browser game without a meaning. I tried hard to give the game a chance but I found Warhammer Online much more attractive. Crafting is soulless, combat at first dynamic fells ridicules with it's dumbed down controls. It's not a FPS that requires skill and it's not an mmorpg that require brain - it's a random modern browser gaming style game. Silly, easy, meaningless, lacking any signs of originality - perfect for the majority of our  modern society. MMOs are what we make them and with many people now days who simply can not play complex games that take time and require the player to make their own decisions rather than follow the thempark style  gamestyle we won't see anything else anytime soon.

  Aerowyn

Novice Member

Joined: 2/20/12
Posts: 7969

9/28/12 4:27:03 PM#22
Originally posted by xDrac

Well I feel like GW2 is just pretty..... "casual"? I mean its a great freaking game, no doubt. But I just don't feel enough "progression"? I just don't feel like the shit I do matters AT ALL. 

I just, I don't know. The game is great, but no more. It kind of feels like there's just so much you can achieve and that just doesn't seem to be enough for me. And I agree with a lot of the points the OP made.

I can see your point.. like many games people see progression as differn't things.. for me collecting cool looking gear getting to mix and match builds and just get better at combat is all the "progression" i need to enjoy a MMO.. others need constant stat gear progression forever to feel like the game has progression.. just differn't game styles for differn't mindsets.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  SteeJanz

Novice Member

Joined: 8/22/11
Posts: 346

9/28/12 4:29:24 PM#23
Originally posted by eggy08
Originally posted by SteeJanz
Originally posted by grimal
Originally posted by kluu
Originally posted by SteeJanz

Yet another post completely hampered by misinformation. 

what the hell?

I laughed out loud to your response.

The game definitely has starch defenders, I will say that.

Maybe I should apologize for not being specific enough.  It may not have worked to get my point across.  I guess I give people too much credit for what they claim to know about.   I posted the tips because the complaint about no trinity is basically based around the dungeons and how choatic they are and that it is false to say that GW2 lacks the trinity.  The truth is, that it is incorrect.  I can say for certain that if you don't heal, do dps, or control (Trinity) you will not only not be able to complete a dungeon, you will not be able to get past the first mob.  You must do all three in GW2 just like in other trinity based games.  GW2 is a trinity based games.    The truth is that people are confusing the "Trinity" with the "Holy Trinity" or hard-set roles.  If you are going to make an arguement about a game being bad, then it should be based in fact.  You should be able to get your message across on factual information and not hope everyone "knows what you mean." 

I thought that my points did a good job in introducing people to the fact that people are stuggling with dungeons because they are not applying the core rules they apply to the holy trinity.  For example, people expect the healers not to heal in tank gear.  People expect the healer to bring heal skills.  People put together trinity based groups in Holy Trinity runs but expect to walk into GW2 dungeons (a trinity based game,  heal, dps, control) without any rules.  It is false and ArenaNet never said it would be possible.   Players follow rules when the run the holy trinity yet expect their to be none for a soft trinity game?  Why?  As I made in my points, if you did the same thing in a Holy trinity based game, you would get the same results. 

The "The fanboy defenders won't let you talk about criticisms of their game" is most over used response on this site and itshow cases the fact that people have nothing to provide to the conversation.  I don't care if you play GW2 or not.  i would prefer you play what ever honks your hooter.   I was merely replying to misinformation.

What the OP should have said is that hey doenst like games without the hard-set roles of the holy trinity.   To say that GW2 lacks heals, DPS, and control (tank), is wrong.  

Now if either or you have some disagreements to some of the points or don't understand what I was trying to say, just ask and we can discuss. 

Lol, first point: so basically if you don't do any of these 3 things... your standing there doing nothing then? Not much else to do besides those 3 things, so I can imagine why you can't get through the first mobs of the dungeon.

I don't know if you can really call it a "heal, dps and control" trinity. dps and control fit, healing does not. Support I'd argue for, but even that is more or less not entirely necessary. Saying that a class is a support because it brings buffs isn't entirely true. Saying a person is a control since he has an interrupt/stun/knockdown in his bar that he uses occassionally, isn't entirely a control class. People are basically a mixup of all 3 things, or at least can be, not set to that specific role. If you only do one, then your not playing your class effectively.

And I have run many instances (including explorer) where these roles had no real bearing. I have never said nor has anyone really taken upon themselves to play only one specific role. Sometimes we have no roles at all and can still take down the dungeon. Control is a hard to master role for most. And saying that someone MUST be that role, is like saying that someone must always take the damage. Well of course people are going to take damage, but that doesn't mean that they are a control class. They aren't taking upon themselves to tank the boss, they are just trying to keep themselves alive. It's not a role, unless you specifically roll only tanking and cc abilities.

GW2 is a very soft trinity, but there are not specific roles that certain classes must abide to. Its bogus to say that a class must follow a certain role and that the group must abide to these roles exclussively. That will make the dungeon seem worse than it is. You don't play a specific role, you play them all. Thats what GW2 gave to you. If you want to force roles on people, then it's going to take the game back to every other MMO, where individuality is shunned and the only thing your going to be asking for all day is for "a control warrior or guardian". If everyone can properly play every "role" rather than only doing one, your group will work out 10x better than the latter.

I absolutely still stand by what I said.  All three of them are required.  I never said that the each of those must be provided by an individual.  On the contrary, what people struggle with is the fact that everyone has to actively participate in all three to be successful (enjoyable dungeon runs).  But I can absolutely say that if heals are not used, you won't make it through the dungeon.  I can absolutely say that if you don't dps, you won't make it through a dungeon.  I can absolutely say that if you don't find a way to control the boss, you may not make it through the dungeon.  If a group has all three and everybody actively participates in facilitating each one, then dungeons go much smoother.  The problem is that people don't do that and then complain.  The advantage to the Holy Trinity is that people understand what their role is and what is expected of them.  It is harder to determine that in GW2, especially when it happens on the fly.    It's a bit of a stretch on my part say that you wouldn't make it through the first mob but, it certainly wouldn't go as smoothly.  :)

 

  User Deleted
9/28/12 4:32:19 PM#24
Originally posted by SteeJanz
Originally posted by eggy08
Originally posted by SteeJanz
Originally posted by grimal
Originally posted by kluu
Originally posted by SteeJanz

Yet another post completely hampered by misinformation. 

what the hell?

I laughed out loud to your response.

The game definitely has starch defenders, I will say that.

Maybe I should apologize for not being specific enough.  It may not have worked to get my point across.  I guess I give people too much credit for what they claim to know about.   I posted the tips because the complaint about no trinity is basically based around the dungeons and how choatic they are and that it is false to say that GW2 lacks the trinity.  The truth is, that it is incorrect.  I can say for certain that if you don't heal, do dps, or control (Trinity) you will not only not be able to complete a dungeon, you will not be able to get past the first mob.  You must do all three in GW2 just like in other trinity based games.  GW2 is a trinity based games.    The truth is that people are confusing the "Trinity" with the "Holy Trinity" or hard-set roles.  If you are going to make an arguement about a game being bad, then it should be based in fact.  You should be able to get your message across on factual information and not hope everyone "knows what you mean." 

I thought that my points did a good job in introducing people to the fact that people are stuggling with dungeons because they are not applying the core rules they apply to the holy trinity.  For example, people expect the healers not to heal in tank gear.  People expect the healer to bring heal skills.  People put together trinity based groups in Holy Trinity runs but expect to walk into GW2 dungeons (a trinity based game,  heal, dps, control) without any rules.  It is false and ArenaNet never said it would be possible.   Players follow rules when the run the holy trinity yet expect their to be none for a soft trinity game?  Why?  As I made in my points, if you did the same thing in a Holy trinity based game, you would get the same results. 

The "The fanboy defenders won't let you talk about criticisms of their game" is most over used response on this site and itshow cases the fact that people have nothing to provide to the conversation.  I don't care if you play GW2 or not.  i would prefer you play what ever honks your hooter.   I was merely replying to misinformation.

What the OP should have said is that hey doenst like games without the hard-set roles of the holy trinity.   To say that GW2 lacks heals, DPS, and control (tank), is wrong.  

Now if either or you have some disagreements to some of the points or don't understand what I was trying to say, just ask and we can discuss. 

Lol, first point: so basically if you don't do any of these 3 things... your standing there doing nothing then? Not much else to do besides those 3 things, so I can imagine why you can't get through the first mobs of the dungeon.

I don't know if you can really call it a "heal, dps and control" trinity. dps and control fit, healing does not. Support I'd argue for, but even that is more or less not entirely necessary. Saying that a class is a support because it brings buffs isn't entirely true. Saying a person is a control since he has an interrupt/stun/knockdown in his bar that he uses occassionally, isn't entirely a control class. People are basically a mixup of all 3 things, or at least can be, not set to that specific role. If you only do one, then your not playing your class effectively.

And I have run many instances (including explorer) where these roles had no real bearing. I have never said nor has anyone really taken upon themselves to play only one specific role. Sometimes we have no roles at all and can still take down the dungeon. Control is a hard to master role for most. And saying that someone MUST be that role, is like saying that someone must always take the damage. Well of course people are going to take damage, but that doesn't mean that they are a control class. They aren't taking upon themselves to tank the boss, they are just trying to keep themselves alive. It's not a role, unless you specifically roll only tanking and cc abilities.

GW2 is a very soft trinity, but there are not specific roles that certain classes must abide to. Its bogus to say that a class must follow a certain role and that the group must abide to these roles exclussively. That will make the dungeon seem worse than it is. You don't play a specific role, you play them all. Thats what GW2 gave to you. If you want to force roles on people, then it's going to take the game back to every other MMO, where individuality is shunned and the only thing your going to be asking for all day is for "a control warrior or guardian". If everyone can properly play every "role" rather than only doing one, your group will work out 10x better than the latter.

I absolutely still stand by what I said.  All three of them are required.  I never said that the each of those must be provided by an individual.  On the contrary, what people struggle with is the fact that everyone has to actively participate in all three to be successful (enjoyable dungeon runs).  But I can absolutely say that if heals are not used, you won't make it through the dungeon.  I can absolutely say that if you don't dps, you won't make it through a dungeon.  I can absolutely say that if you don't find a way to control the boss, you may not make it through the dungeon.  If a group has all three and everybody actively participates in facilitating each one, then dungeons go much smoother.  The problem is that people don't do that and then complain.  The advantage to the Holy Trinity is that people understand what their role is and what is expected of them.  It is harder to determine that in GW2, especially when it happens on the fly.    It's a bit of a stretch on my part say that you wouldn't make it through the first mob but, it certainly wouldn't go as smoothly.  :)

 

I still vote support over heals. Heals is far too vague, mainly since most classes can only really heal themselves. But, removing conditions, buffs and some occassional heals for the team would fit in a support role over heals. And I have yet to really see any class that I would say fits a healer in any of the runs I have experienced. So I can honestly say that heals is not necessary in a group, but support can be.

  drakaena

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/11/06
Posts: 508

9/28/12 4:33:14 PM#25

You are playing it wrong! 

But seriously, gear progression is ingrained into our nerdy DNA. Wasn't it cool when Bilbo discovered Sting in a Troll cave or The Ring in the escape from the Goblins by Golems lake. What about when Gandalf returned with White robes or Aragon forged the Kings sword. Those were all gear upgrades! And memorable ones at that. We like this sort of thing. We really do.

That, and social connections are what keep people playing these types of games longterm.

GW2 is sorely lacking in these two areas IMO. 

  Aerowyn

Novice Member

Joined: 2/20/12
Posts: 7969

9/28/12 4:36:54 PM#26
Originally posted by SteeJanz
Originally posted by eggy08
 

Lol, first point: so basically if you don't do any of these 3 things... your standing there doing nothing then? Not much else to do besides those 3 things, so I can imagine why you can't get through the first mobs of the dungeon.

I don't know if you can really call it a "heal, dps and control" trinity. dps and control fit, healing does not. Support I'd argue for, but even that is more or less not entirely necessary. Saying that a class is a support because it brings buffs isn't entirely true. Saying a person is a control since he has an interrupt/stun/knockdown in his bar that he uses occassionally, isn't entirely a control class. People are basically a mixup of all 3 things, or at least can be, not set to that specific role. If you only do one, then your not playing your class effectively.

And I have run many instances (including explorer) where these roles had no real bearing. I have never said nor has anyone really taken upon themselves to play only one specific role. Sometimes we have no roles at all and can still take down the dungeon. Control is a hard to master role for most. And saying that someone MUST be that role, is like saying that someone must always take the damage. Well of course people are going to take damage, but that doesn't mean that they are a control class. They aren't taking upon themselves to tank the boss, they are just trying to keep themselves alive. It's not a role, unless you specifically roll only tanking and cc abilities.

GW2 is a very soft trinity, but there are not specific roles that certain classes must abide to. Its bogus to say that a class must follow a certain role and that the group must abide to these roles exclussively. That will make the dungeon seem worse than it is. You don't play a specific role, you play them all. Thats what GW2 gave to you. If you want to force roles on people, then it's going to take the game back to every other MMO, where individuality is shunned and the only thing your going to be asking for all day is for "a control warrior or guardian". If everyone can properly play every "role" rather than only doing one, your group will work out 10x better than the latter.

I absolutely still stand by what I said.  All three of them are required.  I never said that the each of those must be provided by an individual.  On the contrary, what people struggle with is the fact that everyone has to actively participate in all three to be successful (enjoyable dungeon runs).  But I can absolutely say that if heals are not used, you won't make it through the dungeon.  I can absolutely say that if you don't dps, you won't make it through a dungeon.  I can absolutely say that if you don't find a way to control the boss, you may not make it through the dungeon.  If a group has all three and everybody actively participates in facilitating each one, then dungeons go much smoother.  The problem is that people don't do that and then complain.  The advantage to the Holy Trinity is that people understand what their role is and what is expected of them.  It is harder to determine that in GW2, especially when it happens on the fly.    It's a bit of a stretch on my part say that you wouldn't make it through the first mob but, it certainly wouldn't go as smoothly.  :)

 

more i play more game seems to rely on more of a dual role system as opposed to trinity.. if you can run good control and dps you can get by in most encounters I have been though unless you count your self heal as "support".. support obviously helps and makes things much easier but hasn't seemed to been a required component as much as dps and control are essential in most group conflicts I have experienced.. I haven't experienced a good portion of the dungeons though so support may be more necessary in others.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  User Deleted
9/28/12 4:37:34 PM#27
Originally posted by drakaena

You are playing it wrong! 

But seriously, gear progression is ingrained into our nerdy DNA. Wasn't it cool when Bilbo discovered Sting in a Troll cave or The Ring in the escape from the Goblins by Golems lake. What about when Gandalf returned with White robes or Aragon forged the Kings sword. Those were all gear upgrades! And memorable ones at that. We like this sort of thing. We really do.

That, and social connections are what keep people playing these types of games longterm.

GW2 is sorely lacking in these two areas IMO. 

It has gear progression, just not tiered gear progression like most MMOs.

The only lack in social interaction is the lack of effort that people put into it themselves.

  Naral

Advanced Member

Joined: 1/07/10
Posts: 751

9/28/12 4:39:09 PM#28

GW2 is a good game, that should have been great, at least imho.

As it is, I agree with the disconnect with the world that others have written about. I am enjoying it immensely, but I am enjoying it not as an MMORPG, but basically as a LAN game I am playing with my wife and two RL friends. We have little need to interact with anyone else, we four man dungeons, and have a great time. But it does not feel like I am part of a world, or even having an effect on the world at all. All the hype about DEs involving your character in the world and being able to change the world is just the vaporware promises of a marketing department. Sure, they are better than PQs, but they are not significantly different in concept or execution, they are just more involved.

And WvWvW is fun, and I like to play for just fun, but it will not hold me the way DAOC did, not by a long shot.

Anet tried some new things, and for that I respect them. But in the end, I think the lack of trinity is not--at least anecdotally--looked upon as being well executed.  Everything feels to me like it almost succeded, but fell short.

I also agree that if this had been a P2P game, it would have suffered at least an equal fate to SWTOR. As it is, they can count it a success because they got their box sales. But if they do not get their shit together, it could be bad for them long term.

  drakaena

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/11/06
Posts: 508

9/28/12 4:40:07 PM#29
Originally posted by Aerowyn
Originally posted by SteeJanz
Originally posted by eggy08
 

Lol, first point: so basically if you don't do any of these 3 things... your standing there doing nothing then? Not much else to do besides those 3 things, so I can imagine why you can't get through the first mobs of the dungeon.

I don't know if you can really call it a "heal, dps and control" trinity. dps and control fit, healing does not. Support I'd argue for, but even that is more or less not entirely necessary. Saying that a class is a support because it brings buffs isn't entirely true. Saying a person is a control since he has an interrupt/stun/knockdown in his bar that he uses occassionally, isn't entirely a control class. People are basically a mixup of all 3 things, or at least can be, not set to that specific role. If you only do one, then your not playing your class effectively.

And I have run many instances (including explorer) where these roles had no real bearing. I have never said nor has anyone really taken upon themselves to play only one specific role. Sometimes we have no roles at all and can still take down the dungeon. Control is a hard to master role for most. And saying that someone MUST be that role, is like saying that someone must always take the damage. Well of course people are going to take damage, but that doesn't mean that they are a control class. They aren't taking upon themselves to tank the boss, they are just trying to keep themselves alive. It's not a role, unless you specifically roll only tanking and cc abilities.

GW2 is a very soft trinity, but there are not specific roles that certain classes must abide to. Its bogus to say that a class must follow a certain role and that the group must abide to these roles exclussively. That will make the dungeon seem worse than it is. You don't play a specific role, you play them all. Thats what GW2 gave to you. If you want to force roles on people, then it's going to take the game back to every other MMO, where individuality is shunned and the only thing your going to be asking for all day is for "a control warrior or guardian". If everyone can properly play every "role" rather than only doing one, your group will work out 10x better than the latter.

I absolutely still stand by what I said.  All three of them are required.  I never said that the each of those must be provided by an individual.  On the contrary, what people struggle with is the fact that everyone has to actively participate in all three to be successful (enjoyable dungeon runs).  But I can absolutely say that if heals are not used, you won't make it through the dungeon.  I can absolutely say that if you don't dps, you won't make it through a dungeon.  I can absolutely say that if you don't find a way to control the boss, you may not make it through the dungeon.  If a group has all three and everybody actively participates in facilitating each one, then dungeons go much smoother.  The problem is that people don't do that and then complain.  The advantage to the Holy Trinity is that people understand what their role is and what is expected of them.  It is harder to determine that in GW2, especially when it happens on the fly.    It's a bit of a stretch on my part say that you wouldn't make it through the first mob but, it certainly wouldn't go as smoothly.  :)

 

more i play more game seems to rely on more of a dual role system as opposed to trinity.. if you can run good control and dps you can get by in most encounters I have been though unless you count your self heal as "support".. support obviously helps and makes things much easier but hasn't seemed to been a required component as much as dps and control are essential in most group conflicts I have experienced.. I haven't experienced a good portion of the dungeons though so support may be more necessary in others.

I have experienced most of the dungeons on explorable mode. For the most part its a zerg. And the need for combo fields is GREATLY exaggerated. A lot of times we didn't bother.

  Naral

Advanced Member

Joined: 1/07/10
Posts: 751

9/28/12 4:40:37 PM#30
Originally posted by eggy08
Originally posted by drakaena

You are playing it wrong! 

But seriously, gear progression is ingrained into our nerdy DNA. Wasn't it cool when Bilbo discovered Sting in a Troll cave or The Ring in the escape from the Goblins by Golems lake. What about when Gandalf returned with White robes or Aragon forged the Kings sword. Those were all gear upgrades! And memorable ones at that. We like this sort of thing. We really do.

That, and social connections are what keep people playing these types of games longterm.

GW2 is sorely lacking in these two areas IMO. 

It has gear progression, just not tiered gear progression like most MMOs.

The only lack in social interaction is the lack of effort that people put into it themselves.

I think that is partly true, but that said, the mechanics of the game do not require interaction. I have made the occasional effort to communicate with other players, and never gotten a response. I feel like I am playing with NPCs.

  GreenishBlue

Novice Member

Joined: 5/27/12
Posts: 266

9/28/12 4:42:08 PM#31
GW2 is not for everyone. Still many peeps in-game have no clue how condition/damage and combos work. Asking for healer in /map won't help at all. Dungeons is about condition/damage, not 100% dps fest. The more coordinated the group the better. Once a player knows how her/his profession works, then the best thing I suggest is to group with peeps that use a voice comm.

  Snooze1989

Novice Member

Joined: 3/15/12
Posts: 3

9/28/12 4:42:45 PM#32
Originally posted by Hrimnir

 

 In this case, the replacement is far FAR FAR FAR FAR stupider

Other things.  I'm actually a fairly intelligent guy, 

Seems Legit.

In reply to the repair costs, the simple answer is to not die often, it's a pretty easy game in all honesty and it's not hard to press your binded dodge key.

Most of your points OP I disagree on, and call them player faults rather than game faults. Each to thier own.

Also if you think Storm Legions going to save you, think again, Rifts already dying, if not dead, the Dev's do good work bringing out content as much as they do, but everything is too late.

  Aerowyn

Novice Member

Joined: 2/20/12
Posts: 7969

9/28/12 4:43:42 PM#33
Originally posted by Naral

It has gear progression, just not tiered gear progression like most MMOs.

The only lack in social interaction is the lack of effort that people put into it themselves.

I think that is partly true, but that said, the mechanics of the game do not require interaction. I have made the occasional effort to communicate with other players, and never gotten a response. I feel like I am playing with NPCs.

just find it odd when people say this in my about 170 hours /age so far I have yet to not get some sort of response if i said something to someone directly. Not saying I'm getting long lasting meaningfull bonds but people are almost always polite and have some sort of reply to whatever I say.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  drakaena

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/11/06
Posts: 508

9/28/12 4:46:57 PM#34
Originally posted by Aerowyn
Originally posted by Naral

It has gear progression, just not tiered gear progression like most MMOs.

The only lack in social interaction is the lack of effort that people put into it themselves.

I think that is partly true, but that said, the mechanics of the game do not require interaction. I have made the occasional effort to communicate with other players, and never gotten a response. I feel like I am playing with NPCs.

just find it odd when people say this in my about 170 hours /age so far I have yet to not get some sort of response if i said something to someone. Not saying I'm getting long lasting meaningfull bonds but people are almost always polite and have some sort of reply to whatever I say.

It's not that we can't find people to chat with, it's theres not point. A month in and everything is on farm. No longer need vent to do the dance after seeing it enough times.

Has there ever been this complaint about an MMO before? I can't think of another example. Bad communities, yes. but no community? 

I still don't feel it's an MMO and being compared to one is part of the issue.

But how many  people have complained about this very issue, but it's still everyone else? Come on, man. 

  Karelia

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/21/12
Posts: 688

9/28/12 4:49:41 PM#35
Originally posted by Naral

GW2 is a good game, that should have been great, at least imho.

As it is, I agree with the disconnect with the world that others have written about. I am enjoying it immensely, but I am enjoying it not as an MMORPG, but basically as a LAN game I am playing with my wife and two RL friends. We have little need to interact with anyone else, we four man dungeons, and have a great time. But it does not feel like I am part of a world, or even having an effect on the world at all. All the hype about DEs involving your character in the world and being able to change the world is just the vaporware promises of a marketing department. Sure, they are better than PQs, but they are not significantly different in concept or execution, they are just more involved.

And WvWvW is fun, and I like to play for just fun, but it will not hold me the way DAOC did, not by a long shot.

Anet tried some new things, and for that I respect them. But in the end, I think the lack of trinity is not--at least anecdotally--looked upon as being well executed.  Everything feels to me like it almost succeded, but fell short.

I also agree that if this had been a P2P game, it would have suffered at least an equal fate to SWTOR. As it is, they can count it a success because they got their box sales. But if they do not get their shit together, it could be bad for them long term.

i think most of the players feel almost the same. but its B2P so they continue to play, even less every day.

you are right about what would happen if it was a P2P game. the game would be already sinked to bottom.

  Sciva

Advanced Member

Joined: 9/08/07
Posts: 307

9/28/12 4:49:52 PM#36
Originally posted by drakaena
Originally posted by Aerowyn
Originally posted by Naral

It has gear progression, just not tiered gear progression like most MMOs.

The only lack in social interaction is the lack of effort that people put into it themselves.

I think that is partly true, but that said, the mechanics of the game do not require interaction. I have made the occasional effort to communicate with other players, and never gotten a response. I feel like I am playing with NPCs.

just find it odd when people say this in my about 170 hours /age so far I have yet to not get some sort of response if i said something to someone. Not saying I'm getting long lasting meaningfull bonds but people are almost always polite and have some sort of reply to whatever I say.

It's not that we can't find people to chat with, it's theres not point. A month in and everything is on farm. No longer need vent to do the dance after seeing it enough times.

Has there ever been this complaint about an MMO before? I can't think of another example. Bad communities, yes. but no community? 

I still don't feel it's an MMO and being compared to one is part of the issue.

But how many  people have complained about this very issue, but it's still everyone else? Come on, man. 

It isn't an issue, people like to make things up or completely blow things out of proportion just to get their point across.

  radman9000

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/12/06
Posts: 18

9/28/12 4:49:54 PM#37
Originally posted by Hrimnir

Other things.  I'm actually a fairly intelligent guy, and i have mucho experience in MMO's as i've been playing them extensively for the last 13 years.  I've never had an MMO that had so much random stupid shit that you pretty much can't figure out without extensive googling.  Mystic Forge recipes for weapons, etc?  Ha.  I'm guessing the only reason people even had a slight idea what to do with it is because of GW1 players?  Anyways.

GW1 has nothing remotely similar to the mystic forge. Figuring out recipes in it (from what I can tell) is just trial and error, which is something a lot of people spent time with during the betas.

  Aerowyn

Novice Member

Joined: 2/20/12
Posts: 7969

9/28/12 4:50:26 PM#38
Originally posted by drakaena
Originally posted by Aerowyn
Originally posted by Naral

It has gear progression, just not tiered gear progression like most MMOs.

The only lack in social interaction is the lack of effort that people put into it themselves.

I think that is partly true, but that said, the mechanics of the game do not require interaction. I have made the occasional effort to communicate with other players, and never gotten a response. I feel like I am playing with NPCs.

just find it odd when people say this in my about 170 hours /age so far I have yet to not get some sort of response if i said something to someone. Not saying I'm getting long lasting meaningfull bonds but people are almost always polite and have some sort of reply to whatever I say.

It's not that we can't find people to chat with, it's theres not point. A month in and everything is on farm. No longer need vent to do the dance after seeing it enough times.

Has there ever been this complaint about an MMO before? I can't think of another example. Bad communities, yes. but no community? 

I still don't feel it's an MMO and being compared to one is part of the issue.

But how many  people have complained about this very issue, but it's still everyone else? Come on, man. 

umm yea seen this complaint in every themepark MMO released since wow... doesn't mean it's true for any of them

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  User Deleted
9/28/12 4:54:43 PM#39
Originally posted by Aerowyn
Originally posted by Naral

It has gear progression, just not tiered gear progression like most MMOs.

The only lack in social interaction is the lack of effort that people put into it themselves.

I think that is partly true, but that said, the mechanics of the game do not require interaction. I have made the occasional effort to communicate with other players, and never gotten a response. I feel like I am playing with NPCs.

just find it odd when people say this in my about 170 hours /age so far I have yet to not get some sort of response if i said something to someone directly. Not saying I'm getting long lasting meaningfull bonds but people are almost always polite and have some sort of reply to whatever I say.

All lies, I never respond to you.

  Aerowyn

Novice Member

Joined: 2/20/12
Posts: 7969

9/28/12 4:56:57 PM#40
Originally posted by eggy08
Originally posted by Aerowyn
Originally posted by Naral

It has gear progression, just not tiered gear progression like most MMOs.

The only lack in social interaction is the lack of effort that people put into it themselves.

I think that is partly true, but that said, the mechanics of the game do not require interaction. I have made the occasional effort to communicate with other players, and never gotten a response. I feel like I am playing with NPCs.

just find it odd when people say this in my about 170 hours /age so far I have yet to not get some sort of response if i said something to someone directly. Not saying I'm getting long lasting meaningfull bonds but people are almost always polite and have some sort of reply to whatever I say.

All lies, I never respond to you.

haha such a liar! spent almost half those 170 hours talking to people:) that's actually probably pretty accurate honestly

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search