Trending Games | Pirate101 | ArcheAge | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Elder Scrolls Online

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,859,597 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,244,741
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Angry Birds Epic Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Ascend: Hand of Kul Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Boot Hill Heroes Borderlands 2 Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Bound by Flame Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Bravada Bravely Default Bravely Second Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Cast & Conquer Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Child of Light Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Dead Island Dead Island 2 Dead Island: Riptide Deco Online Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Divinity: Original Sin Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Age: Inquisition Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Drakengard 3 Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dungeon of the Endless Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Fearless Fantasy Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Heart Forth Alicia Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes & Legends: Conquerors of Kolhar Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online Kyn L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Phoenix Edition LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Lichdom: Battlemage Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lords of the Fallen Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Moonrise Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Persona V Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Project Blackout Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Project Zomboid Puzzle Pirates Quest for Infamy Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Risen 3: Titan Lords Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sacred 3 Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Chance Heroes Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow Realms Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Styx: Master of Shadows Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Banner Saga The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Hammers End The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2 The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Total Domination Transformers Universe Transistor Transverse Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune Wasteland 2 WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenoblade Chronicles: X Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

General Discussion

General Discussion 

The Pub at MMORPG.COM  » With the Failure of New AAA Titles, Why Not Just Re-Skin. Re-Boot One of the Classics?

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
87 posts found
  CalmOceans

Advanced Member

Joined: 5/06/11
Posts: 1826

8/30/12 12:45:42 AM#61
Originally posted by Tibernicus
Originally posted by CalmOceans
Originally posted by Tibernicus
Originally posted by CalmOceans

EQ did upgrade their graphics, they even added a whole new 1-70 expansion.

How many went back to play it.....no one.

EQ is still one of the most popular MMOs out there.

You have a rather loose definition of most popular. If one were to include all MMO including F2P, I doubt EQ would even make make top 100. If anything I'm shocked the game hasn't closed it's doors at this point, the population was abysmal  before I left, I imagine it's a massive wasteland at this point in time.

EQ will always have a small group of dedicated raiders, they will only leave the game when it closes or when they are dragged from their chair by a SWAT team, I wouldn't associate that with a healthy game though. EQ died long ago.

It gets an expansion every year and has recently opened two more servers because they had too much population to fill one.

You know what AAA MMORPG has opened a new server in the last 7 years?

None.

They were classic servers, they always get a certain amount of players luring them back, they're gone as fast as they came back. Expansions, yes, if you want to call them that.

My objection to you was the idea that EQ is popular, EQ is not popular by any standards right now, regardless of the "expansions" or classic servers they open and close every now and then.

We're drifting off-topic, my initial argument was that EQ has been reskinned and updated many times, but it fails to attract new or returning players in substantial amounts. Reskinning an old game is not a guarantee for success.

 

 

  Tibernicus

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/15/12
Posts: 437

8/30/12 12:55:49 AM#62
Originally posted by CalmOceans
Originally posted by Tibernicus
Originally posted by CalmOceans
Originally posted by Tibernicus
Originally posted by CalmOceans

EQ did upgrade their graphics, they even added a whole new 1-70 expansion.

How many went back to play it.....no one.

EQ is still one of the most popular MMOs out there.

You have a rather loose definition of most popular. If one were to include all MMO including F2P, I doubt EQ would even make make top 100. If anything I'm shocked the game hasn't closed it's doors at this point, the population was abysmal  before I left, I imagine it's a massive wasteland at this point in time.

EQ will always have a small group of dedicated raiders, they will only leave the game when it closes or when they are dragged from their chair by a SWAT team, I wouldn't associate that with a healthy game though. EQ died long ago.

It gets an expansion every year and has recently opened two more servers because they had too much population to fill one.

You know what AAA MMORPG has opened a new server in the last 7 years?

None.

They were classic servers, they always get a certain amount of players luring them back, they're gone as fast as they came back. Expansions, yes, if you want to call them that.

My objection to you was the idea that EQ is popular, EQ is not popular by any standards right now, regardless of the "expansions" or classic servers they open and close every now and then.

We're drifting off-topic, my initial argument was that EQ has been reskinned and updated many times, but it fails to attract new or returning players in substantial amounts. Reskinning an old game is not a guarantee for success.

 

 

That's because they aren't reskinning old games. They're not relaunching them. They're just updating graphics.

The GAME they're reskinning isn't the EQ many loved.

If they made a true reskin of the ORIGINAL EQ, people would flock to it just like they flock to the classic servers.

  Icewhite

Made History

Joined: 7/11/11
Posts: 6495

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

8/30/12 1:53:49 AM#63
Originally posted by Serignuad
Originally posted by Purutzil
Because, if that happened, even if they were brand new today they would fail. None of the classics would do any good today, heck, I'd bet a lot of them would be considered failures no matter how much we loved them. 

And yet people are still playing them 13 years later.

But not many of the original players, who love them so very much.

Why not?

The answer given is usually "graphics"...but "been there, done that" is a more honest one.

A "reskin of the original EQ" as proposed above, would be "improved" with many, many WoW-like qualities.  Further in the same direction it's already changed/evolved from the original...already "it's just not the same".  Futher evolution would of course result only in futher complaints, as it departed more and more from nostalgia.

We can't forget that EQ2 is, already, an "evolution of the original game".  Yet, one that many of the original players already rejected, years ago.  Doesn't speak well for success of reskins, does it?

Will EQNext win them back with a magic bullet?

Who's giving odds, because I'll take those bets.

"Classic servers" give a proper nod to nostalgia, but not to players that are now a decade or more older.  A decade devoted to learning ceaseless complaining, if this site is any indication.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

  Tibernicus

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/15/12
Posts: 437

8/30/12 2:08:35 AM#64
Originally posted by Icewhite
Originally posted by Serignuad
Originally posted by Purutzil
Because, if that happened, even if they were brand new today they would fail. None of the classics would do any good today, heck, I'd bet a lot of them would be considered failures no matter how much we loved them. 

And yet people are still playing them 13 years later.

But not many of the original players, who love them so very much.

Why not?

The answer given is usually "graphics"...but "been there, done that" is a more honest one.

Uhh... no. The answer is almost always, universally "the game isn't the same game I used to love."

I've been in many of the threads that discuss this. As have you. I've seen people point this out to you, yet you ignore it.

The reason I am not playing DAoC right now is because they screwed it up in 2004 and have made it worse and worse with each passing year.

There's a reason people didn't play SWG after the NGE, or UO after Trammel, or EQ after their 5th expansion.

 

The games we like aren't there anymore.

 

And how the hell does EQ2 being rejected by its fans not speak well for reskins? EQ2 wasn't a reskin, that's why people rejected it. It was drastically different in every way but name.

  Icewhite

Made History

Joined: 7/11/11
Posts: 6495

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

8/30/12 2:11:06 AM#65
Originally posted by Tibernicus

And how the hell does EQ2 being rejected by its fans not speak well for reskins? EQ2 wasn't a reskin, that's why people rejected it. It was drastically different in every way but name.

And any other update, of course, will meet with the same response.

What, exactly, are we asking for?  EQ1 classic original server, original patch 1 bugs restored?  EQ1 updated, with changes you will reject?

If anything, SOE repeatedly provides the answer to the OP's original question.

Why not?  Because it doesn't work.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

  Quirhid

Elite Member

Joined: 1/28/05
Posts: 5544

Correcting wrongs on the Internet...

8/30/12 2:37:26 AM#66
Originally posted by Tibernicus
Originally posted by Quirhid

Like some have already said, it wouldn't work. Mainly because these games do not exist in a vacuum. They are affected by their times and made for the players of their time. We are not the same people anymore and the market is far from what it was.

Many of the old MMOs were popular simply because players had very little options

Stopped reading right there. There were a TON of MMOs "back in the day". And you know how right now we have ONE top dog MMO and like, 2-3 almost successful MMOs?

Back then we had about 4-5 top dog MMOs, and about 6 moderately successful titles, all providing VASTLY different experiences from one another. There was something for everyone. Each demographic had their own AAA title they could play in.

Now, the only AAA title there is, is the WoW clone. Anyone else wants anything, they're out of luck.

 

So no, don't fall back on the "durr burbdeederp rose colored glasses those games weren't actually good we just had no standards" argument, because it is 100% bs.

No you had standards. Just now you have higher standards. Do you honestly think the market today would accept the huge grind, massive timesinks, vast array of bugs and abysmal game balance?

You are looking this from your own rose-tinted point of view. People have brought up the glasses many times for a good reason.

Going back is not going forward.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

  Rydeson

Elite Member

Joined: 3/05/07
Posts: 3346

8/30/12 2:54:02 AM#67
     I never got to play the original AC and UO.. as I spent all my time in EQ..  If you reskinned those games to updated technology and tweaked just a little of the things I would play them in a heartbeat..  Even yesterday playing GW2 in the snow country, I was thinking to myself.. "now this I can see being Everfrost zone in EQ"..  or other similar zones..   If SOE truely wanted to release an EQ Next, all they would have to do is look at what GW2 did with their zones, keep dynamic events, absolutely NO linear quest lines, keep most of the original lore of EQ1 and you have a seller..  EQ Next could be a great B2P game..
  Scot

Elite Member

Joined: 10/10/03
Posts: 5249

8/30/12 3:51:20 AM#68
We have a player base that looks for differant thinks in a MMO now and only expects to play them for a couple of months before moving on. AAA MMO's have not failed in conception or implementation, but the market now treats all MMO's like solo games, you play them for a couple of months then in the bin.
  Apraxis

Elite Member

Joined: 9/28/05
Posts: 1471

8/30/12 4:00:57 AM#69
Originally posted by Serignuad

With the failure (relative to their expectations) of several recent AAA titles where companies have invested hundreds of millions of dollars into brand new and untested products, when will someone finally have the gumption to try re-skinning and re-leasing one of the first generation of MMO classics?

 

1. Asherons Call

2. EQ

3. DAOC

4. UO

5. AO

6. Others

 

Quite simple. Because they are shit. Ok.. maybe a little bit hard. But point is, they are not up to date, and not only in the appartment from graphics, animation or tech in general, but also gameplay wise.

Look. I am a huge UO fan, and a UO2 done right would be superior. BUT, if you would just reskin UO it will be a guarantee failure.

You really would need to make a real successor. With other words bring the game technically up to date. (in the case of UO every feature in 3D, current graphic standard, animation), cut off some not so good features(but be carefully with that), expand the features and possibilities, and add a new story.

After all, it would be a new game, just with the basic idea of the classic game.

And now look what i will do.

GW2 is basicly DAoC in new modern clothes. (And ESO will be most probalby also some kind of DAoC successor)

Archeage tries to bring a lot(not all) featues/ideas from UO.

And so on.

So it will be done already to some extent, and it will not help to only reskin old games. New times, new kind of players, no expectations.. you just cant compare it anymore.

 

  Ineveraskforthis

Novice Member

Joined: 1/24/06
Posts: 379

8/30/12 6:57:36 AM#70

I would love to play a modernize Shadowbane or Vanguard or SWG

 

I would rather encouter countless bugs than running on the treadmill in a world completely controlled by the Developer.

  Serignuad

Novice Member

Joined: 1/19/05
Posts: 86

 
OP  8/30/12 7:10:05 AM#71

To the point that this has been done before (EQ).. it hasnt. Asherons Call and DAoC have also had graphic updates.

But "Updating" graphics in a 14 year old hard-coded engine isn't what I envision as re-skinning.

Its a spa facial-peel compared to the Six Million Dollar Man: We can rebuild him. We have the technology. ;)

 

- By re-skinning, I'm talking about taking EQ or Asherons Call or DAOC and giving them AoC quality graphics (just as an example).

- By re-booting, well, thats more complicated. Basically, I'm thinking you can put together a Dev team that can in hindsight, decide what made that game great and make the decisions necessary about what to implement or not. If they focus on keeping true to the original intent of the game and unburdened by trying to be the next wow-killer (or be Wow) I think a good Dev team can pull this off. 

 

I think the re-skin / re-boot idea can be financially viable (and as I've pointed out, its not even been tried whereas billions have been lost on new AAA failures).

Yes, there would be a market for an Old School re-skin / re-boot of one of the classic MMOs. 

 

 

  Serignuad

Novice Member

Joined: 1/19/05
Posts: 86

 
OP  8/30/12 7:30:45 AM#72
Originally posted by Quirhid
Going back is not going forward.

And yet when it comes to entertainment, style and fashion and dare I say it, gaming, yes it can be.

 

I loved John Wayne as a kid. I have seen the old True Grit three or four times. I knew the story. I knew the characters and I knew how it was going to end, and yet, I'm damn happy the Coen brothers did a remake of a John Wayne classic.

I'm guessing there were people in Hollywood that said exactly what you are saying when someone first suggested "re-booting" Batman or Superman.

And yet.. it worked.

 

 

  User Deleted
8/30/12 7:34:45 AM#73
Well OP, in some senses that seems to be exactly what SOE is trying to do with EQ Next. Though they are adding some innovations like facial expression modeling. It hadn't occured to me to think of it that way until now though.
  Grixxitt

Novice Member

Joined: 5/18/12
Posts: 556

8/30/12 12:07:23 PM#74

 

EQ is absolutely begging for a reboot.

The way the zones work would make it extremely easy to contain and focus on specific content. Hell not only could a dedicated development team spit out a complete reskin loyal to the original EQ mechanics but I'm betting a mod community could do the same with a myriad of modern engines.

 

The only things that would need to be added that were not at launch would be the bug fixes, UI fixes, some (!!!!) loot drops/experience levels/etc, and other stuff that restricts gameplay. They could even have different servers like the regular/progression/PvP/RP/classic** ones with EQ1.

 

I'm betting a game like this would have a fairly small but loyal following to start, and quietly grow over time, similar to Eve. Theres an entire generation of WoW kids who have only heard of EQ, so all of this would be completely new content for them.

 

 

 

 

 

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

  waynejr2

Hard Core Member

Joined: 4/12/11
Posts: 3735

RIP City of Heroes!

8/30/12 12:40:23 PM#75
Originally posted by Serignuad

To the point that this has been done before (EQ).. it hasnt. Asherons Call and DAoC have also had graphic updates.

But "Updating" graphics in a 14 year old hard-coded engine isn't what I envision as re-skinning.

Its a spa facial-peel compared to the Six Million Dollar Man: We can rebuild him. We have the technology. ;)

 

- By re-skinning, I'm talking about taking EQ or Asherons Call or DAOC and giving them AoC quality graphics (just as an example).

- By re-booting, well, thats more complicated. Basically, I'm thinking you can put together a Dev team that can in hindsight, decide what made that game great and make the decisions necessary about what to implement or not. If they focus on keeping true to the original intent of the game and unburdened by trying to be the next wow-killer (or be Wow) I think a good Dev team can pull this off. 

 

I think the re-skin / re-boot idea can be financially viable (and as I've pointed out, its not even been tried whereas billions have been lost on new AAA failures).

Yes, there would be a market for an Old School re-skin / re-boot of one of the classic MMOs. 

 

 

City of Heroes redid the graphics, doesn't that count?

  Tibernicus

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/15/12
Posts: 437

8/30/12 1:32:20 PM#76
Originally posted by Icewhite
Originally posted by Tibernicus

And how the hell does EQ2 being rejected by its fans not speak well for reskins? EQ2 wasn't a reskin, that's why people rejected it. It was drastically different in every way but name.

And any other update, of course, will meet with the same response.

Unless you just reskin the classic version of the game... which is what this thread is about. Do you even read thread titles?

Originally posted by Quirhid
Originally posted by Tibernicus
Originally posted by Quirhid

Like some have already said, it wouldn't work. Mainly because these games do not exist in a vacuum. They are affected by their times and made for the players of their time. We are not the same people anymore and the market is far from what it was.

Many of the old MMOs were popular simply because players had very little options

Stopped reading right there. There were a TON of MMOs "back in the day". And you know how right now we have ONE top dog MMO and like, 2-3 almost successful MMOs?

Back then we had about 4-5 top dog MMOs, and about 6 moderately successful titles, all providing VASTLY different experiences from one another. There was something for everyone. Each demographic had their own AAA title they could play in.

Now, the only AAA title there is, is the WoW clone. Anyone else wants anything, they're out of luck.

 

So no, don't fall back on the "durr burbdeederp rose colored glasses those games weren't actually good we just had no standards" argument, because it is 100% bs.

No you had standards. Just now you have higher standards. Do you honestly think the market today would accept the huge grind, massive timesinks, vast array of bugs and abysmal game balance?

Going back is not going forward.

In this case it would be. We've had 7 years of WoW clone, which are far FAR more poorly designed than MMOs of the past. WoW copied EQ's design, which was broken. Games like DAoC and AC improved on EQ's design and removed these flaws. Then WoW came out, ignored those fixes, and just copied old EQ, so it has all the same old flaws. So yes, in this case, going back to reskin something like UO or DAoC WOULD be going forward, because for the last 7 years we've been going nowhere.

As for my standards, they are not higher. Quests are a bigger, more widespread, and more boring timesink than anything I experienced in classic MMOs. None of the MMOs I played were unbanaced, whether it be balance between spheres of play (DAoC had the BEST balance between PvE, PvP, and crafting out of any MMO I've ever played in 13 years) or between classes. And vast array of bugs? The ONLY bug I can remember from DAoC was a tent that, if you stepped on it and squirmed in JUST the right way, made you go back to your bind stone. And it was fixed 8 years ago.

 

So no, the "rose colored glasses" argument only ever comes up when people run out of ammunition for debate and just have to go "durrr you're remembering wrong dur".

  Tibernicus

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/15/12
Posts: 437

8/30/12 1:35:45 PM#77
Originally posted by Apraxis
Originally posted by Serignuad

With the failure (relative to their expectations) of several recent AAA titles where companies have invested hundreds of millions of dollars into brand new and untested products, when will someone finally have the gumption to try re-skinning and re-leasing one of the first generation of MMO classics?

 

1. Asherons Call

2. EQ

3. DAOC

4. UO

5. AO

6. Others

 

Quite simple. Because they are shit. Wrong. We've seen that classic servers are massively popular. There's plenty of vets around waiting for classic servers for their favorite games from SWG to UO. They don't need to be updated, and those old games are far superior to any MMO since.

GW2 is basicly DAoC in new modern clothes. It's not, its RvR isn't nearly as good, there's more instancing and teleportation than DAoC ever had, and the raiding isn't as good.(And ESO will be most probalby also some kind of DAoC successor) It won't be, because ESO focuses on linear instances and phasing, which DAoC didn't have.

Originally posted by Scot
We have a player base that looks for differant thinks in a MMO now and only expects to play them for a couple of months before moving on. AAA MMO's have not failed in conception or implementation, but the market now treats all MMO's like solo games, you play them for a couple of months then in the bin.
That's because AAA MMOs these days are designed as solo games with linear instanced content... there's a reason people burn through them, its because there's nothing else to do in the game. So yes, AAA MMOs have failed by attracted that community, not the community itself.
  maplestone

Novice Member

Joined: 12/10/08
Posts: 3109

8/30/12 2:21:27 PM#78
Originally posted by Tibernicus
That's because AAA MMOs these days are designed as solo games with linear instanced content... there's a reason people burn through them, its because there's nothing else to do in the game. So yes, AAA MMOs have failed by attracted that community, not the community itself.

I disagree - they aren't designed to be solo, that's just a side effect.  I believe the root of your problem is that they are being designed as stories rather than worlds and because of that, anything that inhibits progress in flipping through the pages of the story gets worn down.

  FrodoFragins

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/29/10
Posts: 2771

8/30/12 2:25:15 PM#79

I personally think it's a horrible idea when it comes to MMOs.  Those old MMOs had designs that most people don't want anymore.  The genre is still young and evolbing. 

 

I would love to see plenty of non MMOs remade with new graphics and engines though, such as D2, FF7 and HL.

  Tibernicus

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/15/12
Posts: 437

8/30/12 2:55:15 PM#80
Originally posted by maplestone
Originally posted by Tibernicus
That's because AAA MMOs these days are designed as solo games with linear instanced content... there's a reason people burn through them, its because there's nothing else to do in the game. So yes, AAA MMOs have failed by attracted that community, not the community itself.

I disagree - they aren't designed to be solo, that's just a side effect.

You're saying that games that are phased, instanced, have scripted cutscenes and voice acted dialogue, and provide you with NPC companions... aren't meant to be solod?

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I personally think it's a horrible idea when it comes to MMOs.  Those old MMOs had designs that most people don't want anymore.  The genre is still young and evolbing. 

 

I would love to see plenty of non MMOs remade with new graphics and engines though, such as D2, FF7 and HL.

According to sales, most people don't want the current design either. And no, the genre hasn't been evolving for about 8 years now.

You know when it was evolving? When those old MMOs reigned.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search