Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2 | ArcheAge | Dragon Age: Inquisition

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,645,668 Users Online:0
Games:686  Posts:6,082,835
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Deco Online Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Everquest Next: Landmark Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Lands of Hope: Phoenix Edition LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Project Blackout Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Puzzle Pirates Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian Space Heroes Universe Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Hammers End The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Total Domination Transformers Universe Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

General Discussion

General Discussion 

The Pub at MMORPG.COM  » Devs take note: Anti-MMO features

9 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Search
162 posts found
  Loktofeit

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/13/10
Posts: 11363

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, ESO, and Combat Arms

7/28/12 5:45:46 PM#101
Originally posted by Axehilt
Originally posted by Garvon3

Exactly. MMOs simulate worlds.

Singleplayer games simulate movies.

Immersion is the synchronization between expectations and experiences.

Players might have two types of expectations about a cave.  One is reflected in novels or movies, and involves exploring a dangerous place.  The other is visiting a tourist cave alongside 100 other tourists.

The first one sounds way more interesting, and way more immersive.

Why is it that you feel the multiplayer dungeon experience can only be a 'tourist' event, rather than cooperative or competitve gameplay?

 

  raistlinm

Novice Member

Joined: 8/23/11
Posts: 686

7/28/12 5:53:56 PM#102
Originally posted by mmoguy43

In the light of the topic of MMOs that feel like singplayer games. What features do you feel are unproductive or even detrimental to making an MMO or MMORPG what it is or should be in your opinion? MMO design seems to have gotten off track somewhat and I wish devs would take notice to what they are doing compared to what players want (or based on what they don't want?). What is happening can't possibly be the result of not knowing what players want.

I'm not explicitly speaking to just your layman dev but mostly to those responsible for the direction of it's entirety.

I don't think any feature that already exists in video games qualifies as "having no place in an mmorpg" it's called evolution.  I mean aren't we already dissing every game for being too much like one particular game?

and now we want to try and tell the devs that they should be restricted from trying other things.  I agree with you that "what is happening can't possibly bee the result of not knowing what players want" because as BW has already stated in the research they did many fans told them that they wanted the game designed much the way it has been and who;s to say most of those people aren't still playing the game?

What we know so far is that SWTOR is not meeting the highest expectations of the devs beyond that we don't know anything other than people who frequent forums especially this one complain about this game as they do every single game that comes out that doesn't seem to cater to their desires so is there really a lesson to be learned? I don't know maybe when we get confirmation that SWTOR is losing BW/EA money but until then all we know is that people who have grown used to complaining for the last eight plus years are still very comfortable complaining.

  ThemePork

Novice Member

Joined: 11/29/11
Posts: 317

Pork, it's like beef but not quite.

7/28/12 6:01:53 PM#103

Get rid of instances, zoned worlds, group finders, tokens, achievements, instant travelling, no penalty death etc.... Basically get rid of all the "ease of use" features that have been killing the genre's soul since WoW released and bring back a little sweat, blood and tears.

  Slampig

Hard Core Member

Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 2372

Whatever you do, do NOT speak ill of Asheron's Call 2...

7/28/12 6:04:03 PM#104
Originally posted by mmoguy43

In the light of the topic of MMOs that feel like singplayer games. What features do you feel are unproductive or even detrimental to making an MMO or MMORPG what it is or should be in your opinion? MMO design seems to have gotten off track somewhat and I wish devs would take notice to what they are doing compared to what players want (or based on what they don't want?). What is happening can't possibly be the result of not knowing what players want.

I'm not explicitly speaking to just your layman dev but mostly to those responsible for the direction of it's entirety.

So what is the right track? And why hasn't anyone hired you yet?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

  nilden

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/26/05
Posts: 820

7/28/12 6:16:32 PM#105
Originally posted by Axehilt
Originally posted by Garvon3

Exactly. MMOs simulate worlds.

Singleplayer games simulate movies.

Immersion is the synchronization between expectations and experiences.

Players might have two types of expectations about a cave.  One is reflected in novels or movies, and involves exploring a dangerous place.  The other is visiting a tourist cave alongside 100 other tourists.

The first one sounds way more interesting, and way more immersive.

 

Even as a sweeping generalization you could come up with examples to counter both of those simulation claims.

Making up a definition for immersion doesn't mean that's what it is for other people. Immersion is engrossment, absorption, drawing the player in and grabbing thier attention.

Never once have I ever felt like a tourist in a dungeon/cave. I was an adventurer meeting other adventures or adventuring by myself. Meeting other people in dungeons makes the game much more immersive and interesting for me. The reason being I would rather play a game that tried to be a world not a lobby game giving everyone thier own private cave.

 

How to post links. Check it Archeage
LoveMinecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

  raistlinm

Novice Member

Joined: 8/23/11
Posts: 686

7/28/12 6:33:27 PM#106
Originally posted by nilden
Originally posted by Axehilt
Originally posted by Garvon3

Exactly. MMOs simulate worlds.

Singleplayer games simulate movies.

Immersion is the synchronization between expectations and experiences.

Players might have two types of expectations about a cave.  One is reflected in novels or movies, and involves exploring a dangerous place.  The other is visiting a tourist cave alongside 100 other tourists.

The first one sounds way more interesting, and way more immersive.

 

Even as a sweeping generalization you could come up with examples to counter both of those simulation claims.

Making up a definition for immersion doesn't mean that's what it is for other people. Immersion is engrossment, absorption, drawing the player in and grabbing thier attention.

Never once have I ever felt like a tourist in a dungeon/cave. I was an adventurer meeting other adventures or adventuring by myself. Meeting other people in dungeons makes the game much more immersive and interesting for me. The reason being I would rather play a game that tried to be a world not a lobby game giving everyone thier own private cave.

 

Very well stated my friend. 

Let me expand on your point a bit,  in the thread that got the op thinking about this point one poster made me lol because he stated that he hated SWTOR because everytime he grouped with people in that game and reached a point where a cutscene came up it pissed him off because he had never seen the teamspeak servers go so quiet in his life.  So basically because people were so engrossed in the game they didn't spend the entire time chatting away it took away what he thought of as immersion and as I'm reading it I'm thinking "wow I do the same thing when I'm in a group in TOR i become so engrossed in the dynamics of seeing what other people will pick,will I win the roll etc. that it made the game that much more immersive and better for me".

And while me and you obviously have different priorities in immersion we can certainly agree that different people find immersion for different reasons.

  silvermember

Novice Member

Joined: 3/02/12
Posts: 489

7/28/12 6:38:05 PM#107
Originally posted by nilden
Originally posted by Axehilt
Originally posted by Garvon3

Exactly. MMOs simulate worlds.

Singleplayer games simulate movies.

Immersion is the synchronization between expectations and experiences.

Players might have two types of expectations about a cave.  One is reflected in novels or movies, and involves exploring a dangerous place.  The other is visiting a tourist cave alongside 100 other tourists.

The first one sounds way more interesting, and way more immersive.

 

Even as a sweeping generalization you could come up with examples to counter both of those simulation claims.

Making up a definition for immersion doesn't mean that's what it is for other people. Immersion is engrossment, absorption, drawing the player in and grabbing thier attention.

Never once have I ever felt like a tourist in a dungeon/cave. I was an adventurer meeting other adventures or adventuring by myself. Meeting other people in dungeons makes the game much more immersive and interesting for me. The reason being I would rather play a game that tried to be a world not a lobby game giving everyone thier own private cave.

 

You can't really make up a definition for something that is not really define. Immersion is just a word use when people are too afraid to say they hate or like something. It has no real meaning, since the meaning changes depending on the individual.

  Axehilt

Novice Member

Joined: 5/09/09
Posts: 7213

7/28/12 6:41:14 PM#108
Originally posted by Loktofeit

Why is it that you feel the multiplayer dungeon experience can only be a 'tourist' event, rather than cooperative or competitve gameplay? 

It certainly doesn't have to be but we're talking about immersion, and certainly there's nothing immersion-breaking about going into a dungeon alone or with a group.

Whereas you're more likely to have your immersion broken if you pass "XxXLegolasXxX" heading out of the dungeon after killing your boss mob and you have to wait for a dead boss to respawn.

I played a lot of pre-WOW MMORPG dungeons and "immersion" doesn't spring to mind regarding how they played out.

Really just having respawns in the dungeon at all is a strike against immersion.  Not a big enough reduction for me to really care, because the gameplay justification might be there, but from pure immersion standpoint it's pretty jarring to have monsters attack you because they materialized out of thin air nearby.

  nilden

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/26/05
Posts: 820

7/28/12 6:51:42 PM#109
Originally posted by silvermember
Originally posted by nilden
Originally posted by Axehilt
Originally posted by Garvon3

Exactly. MMOs simulate worlds.

Singleplayer games simulate movies.

Immersion is the synchronization between expectations and experiences.

Players might have two types of expectations about a cave.  One is reflected in novels or movies, and involves exploring a dangerous place.  The other is visiting a tourist cave alongside 100 other tourists.

The first one sounds way more interesting, and way more immersive.

 

Even as a sweeping generalization you could come up with examples to counter both of those simulation claims.

Making up a definition for immersion doesn't mean that's what it is for other people. Immersion is engrossment, absorption, drawing the player in and grabbing thier attention.

Never once have I ever felt like a tourist in a dungeon/cave. I was an adventurer meeting other adventures or adventuring by myself. Meeting other people in dungeons makes the game much more immersive and interesting for me. The reason being I would rather play a game that tried to be a world not a lobby game giving everyone thier own private cave.

 

You can't really make up a definition for something that is not really define. Immersion is just a word use when people are too afraid to say they hate or like something. It has no real meaning, since the meaning changes depending on the individual.

Really, because I can look it up on dictionary sites and I'm going with...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/immersion

3. immersion - complete attentionimmersion - complete attention; intense mental effort
attention - the faculty or power of mental concentration; "keeping track of all the details requires your complete attention"
centering, focus, focusing, focussing, focal point, direction - the concentration of attention or energy on something; "the focus of activity shifted to molecular biology"; "he had no direction in his life"
specialism - the concentration of your efforts on a particular field of study or occupation
study - a state of deep mental absorption; "she is in a deep study"

Or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immersion_%28virtual_reality%29

Immersion is the state of consciousness where an immersant's awareness of physical self is diminished or lost by being surrounded in an engrossing total environment; often artificial.[1] This mental state is frequently accompanied with spatial excess, intense focus, a distorted sense of time, and effortless action.[2]

Or http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/immersion

3 state of being deeply engaged or involved; absorption.
 
Seems like it's pretty defined to me. I could be crazy tho.

How to post links. Check it Archeage
LoveMinecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

  Grixxitt

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/18/12
Posts: 526

7/28/12 7:41:48 PM#110

Uh, what data points to the opposite? Older MMOs grew over the long term, increase number of servers and subs. Modern MMOs collapse and die almost right after launch. Hardcore MMOs are built around communities. Communities help games last. Data? See all the hardcore MMOs still going with stable subs, while modern MMOs die off left right and center?

 

Its hard to argue against this statement. 

One can also look at games like Darkfall, Mortal,Eve and yes even SWG,SB,and UO private servers to see that there is still interest in "hardcore" MMOs, even if the games themselves didn't turn out so well, the interest was still there

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

  jedensuscg

Novice Member

Joined: 1/18/06
Posts: 212

7/28/12 7:58:01 PM#111
Originally posted by nariusseldon
Originally posted by nilden
Originally posted by nariusseldon
Originally posted by fenistil

- fully automatic LFG systems = changing game into lobby

Great feature. I won't play a MP game without it. In fact, the only reason i came back to WOW is because of LFR.

Clicking a button while standing in town waiting for a queue to pop. Horrible feature that removes player interaction and socialization for convience.

So .... i don't need more socialization. You can chat in guild chat, you can chat in trade .. you can see all the players in town. How does making people spam trade channel "LFG" make it better?

- cross-server tools and making world / zones channels / duplicates= no separate world feel anymore

Even better. I want to play with my friends no matter where they are. I don't care about server boundaries.

While being able to play with freinds is great sacrificing server community isn't.

I don't cares about server community? As long as i have friends to play with, and i am having fun, why would i care?

- cash shop or rmah = ruining immersion totally + destrying barrier between mmorpg and real world - thus making it feel like strictly a game and not mmorpg. Worst offender.

Selling stuff for RM is fun. mmorpG .. the G stands for GAME. It should be a game first.

Cash shops and RMAH are horrible for the game economy, immersion, and promote pay to win.

Not. RMAH solves the gold inflation problem because now the currency is tied to real value. So what if it is pay to win? If someone wants to p2w in a PvE game, and buy my stuff, so much the better.

- single player instances and overall too much instancing = the more things like that the more game feel like single player or co-op game.

MOre the better. A controlled scripted 5 man dungeon is much better than a 100 zerg dungeon. Take the good part of SP games and put them in MMOs.

Yes let's make a MMO so everyone can have their own little instance. We have the systems to prevent kill stealing and ninja looting in public dungeons and open world areas.

No ... public dungeon are not tailored to the group size, beacuse the devs do not know the group size. Much prefer instances. Plus, dungeon adventures are supposed for SMALL groups. Sending 100 people into a dungeon ... take away from the adventure.

- Auction Houses like ebay - tunneling whole trade into one centralized person-less banalized experience. Sure more conveniant, but tbh more system like that = less mmo feel for me (very subjective I know).

Won't play a MMO without a AH. It is just no worth the while to do trading any other way.

SWG galactic market with bazzar terminals beats any AH.

Too much work. ONE central AH is always more efficient.

- teleporting without limits or with very small limits - making open world and travelling pointless.  Teleporting is needed but it need to have quite a bit of limits, otherwise it banalize experience.

Nah ... in fact, I won't mind getting rid of the world and run instanced missions. Traveling to a place the first time may be fun, it becomes a chore by the 3rd time.

Get rid of the world? WTF might as well all hail the lobby MMO where you stand in town and wait for your instance que to pop /sarcasm.

Yeh ... since most are waiting for the queue anyway .. why do we need a world? Diablo 3 ... also discussesd here, is a perfect example.

UO and SWG did it best.  They haven't really forced you into grouping to progress, but there were quite a bit of group only or group preferred content. Dynamic scaling NOT solve it completly.  It makes it bit better, but not solve a problem.
UO has uninteresting combat mecahnics, and too much ganging pvp. Won't play a game like that again.

- end game focused in 95% at instances / arenas  - speak for itself - when you couple it with cross server automatic LFG systems then playing end-game in mmorpg's is really NO DIFFRENT than playing any lobby-like games like FPS, MOBA or RTS games like CoD, LoL or Starcraft.

Yeh ... focus on the combat, co-op group mechanics. That is the way to go. It works for FPS, MOBA and ... , and no reason why this model does not work for the new MMORPG.

I wouldn't call a lobby based, instance saturated, cash shop/RMAH infested game that has a world you might as well get rid of a MMORPG.

Get rid of? More like changing. If you have not notice, many MMOs are already lobby based instance game, and many plays as such. Are you disagreeing?

 

 

 

I think that bold section sums up why the MMORPG is going down hill. "I want it NOW I dont want to work for it, I don't want to wait for it, I don't really even want to think about it, I just want what I feel is mine and in the easiet way possible"

Dude, what you are describing is not even close to an MMORPG, stop trolling the forum man.  Anything that is lobby based is not even an MMO, its a fricking wanna be half-asse attempt, but somewhere along the way they lost the whole fact that MMO stands for MASSIVELY multiplayer RPG, where is the massive part of a lobby based game where at any given time you only interact with a few peopel randomly picked to be in your group.

What you want is a MIORPG, minimally interactive online RPG.  That is a whole different website.

 

WWW.diablo3.com

  Axehilt

Novice Member

Joined: 5/09/09
Posts: 7213

7/28/12 8:58:46 PM#112
Originally posted by jedensuscg

I think that bold section sums up why the MMORPG is going down hill. "I want it NOW I dont want to work for it, I don't want to wait for it, I don't really even want to think about it, I just want what I feel is mine and in the easiet way possible"

Dude, what you are describing is not even close to an MMORPG, stop trolling the forum man.  Anything that is lobby based is not even an MMO, its a fricking wanna be half-asse attempt, but somewhere along the way they lost the whole fact that MMO stands for MASSIVELY multiplayer RPG, where is the massive part of a lobby based game where at any given time you only interact with a few peopel randomly picked to be in your group.

But players only say that about features which add little or no depth by being unwieldy/inconvenient. (Or at least those are the only complaints which matter.)

For most MMORPGs it's true that multiple AHs add no substantial depth, because those games are combat-centric and about dungeon crawling, PVPing, or questing.  Economic MMORPGs can also potentially be fun, and in those games multiple AHs might make sense.  But most MMORPGs aren't economic ones nowadays, so implying that it's somehow bad to use a single AH is incorrect, because multiple AHs add almost nothing to those other types of MMORPGs.

MMORPGs went downhill only because of a lack of WOW-style innovation.  The true magic of WOW wasn't the skin-deep featureset, but the underlying desire to tear out all the dead branches of the genre, pruning away dead inefficient mechanics and replacing them with new ones.

GW2 is doing a reasonably good job of approaching things the same way.

In a twisted way by being less of a WOW clone than the others, GW2 has become the one true WOW clone.  And since they cloned the real reason for WOW's success, they have the biggest chance for success of any MMORPG in many years. But you don't get that chance of success by letting dead branches like unnecessary timesinks (which multi-AH is, in the context of a combat-centric MMORPG) stick around.

  laokoko

Apprentice Member

Joined: 9/14/09
Posts: 1845

7/28/12 9:03:17 PM#113
Originally posted by jedensuscg
Originally posted by nariusseldon
Originally posted by nilden
Originally posted by nariusseldon
Originally posted by fenistil

- fully automatic LFG systems = changing game into lobby

Great feature. I won't play a MP game without it. In fact, the only reason i came back to WOW is because of LFR.

Clicking a button while standing in town waiting for a queue to pop. Horrible feature that removes player interaction and socialization for convience.

So .... i don't need more socialization. You can chat in guild chat, you can chat in trade .. you can see all the players in town. How does making people spam trade channel "LFG" make it better?

- cross-server tools and making world / zones channels / duplicates= no separate world feel anymore

Even better. I want to play with my friends no matter where they are. I don't care about server boundaries.

While being able to play with freinds is great sacrificing server community isn't.

I don't cares about server community? As long as i have friends to play with, and i am having fun, why would i care?

- cash shop or rmah = ruining immersion totally + destrying barrier between mmorpg and real world - thus making it feel like strictly a game and not mmorpg. Worst offender.

Selling stuff for RM is fun. mmorpG .. the G stands for GAME. It should be a game first.

Cash shops and RMAH are horrible for the game economy, immersion, and promote pay to win.

Not. RMAH solves the gold inflation problem because now the currency is tied to real value. So what if it is pay to win? If someone wants to p2w in a PvE game, and buy my stuff, so much the better.

- single player instances and overall too much instancing = the more things like that the more game feel like single player or co-op game.

MOre the better. A controlled scripted 5 man dungeon is much better than a 100 zerg dungeon. Take the good part of SP games and put them in MMOs.

Yes let's make a MMO so everyone can have their own little instance. We have the systems to prevent kill stealing and ninja looting in public dungeons and open world areas.

No ... public dungeon are not tailored to the group size, beacuse the devs do not know the group size. Much prefer instances. Plus, dungeon adventures are supposed for SMALL groups. Sending 100 people into a dungeon ... take away from the adventure.

- Auction Houses like ebay - tunneling whole trade into one centralized person-less banalized experience. Sure more conveniant, but tbh more system like that = less mmo feel for me (very subjective I know).

Won't play a MMO without a AH. It is just no worth the while to do trading any other way.

SWG galactic market with bazzar terminals beats any AH.

Too much work. ONE central AH is always more efficient.

- teleporting without limits or with very small limits - making open world and travelling pointless.  Teleporting is needed but it need to have quite a bit of limits, otherwise it banalize experience.

Nah ... in fact, I won't mind getting rid of the world and run instanced missions. Traveling to a place the first time may be fun, it becomes a chore by the 3rd time.

Get rid of the world? WTF might as well all hail the lobby MMO where you stand in town and wait for your instance que to pop /sarcasm.

Yeh ... since most are waiting for the queue anyway .. why do we need a world? Diablo 3 ... also discussesd here, is a perfect example.

UO and SWG did it best.  They haven't really forced you into grouping to progress, but there were quite a bit of group only or group preferred content. Dynamic scaling NOT solve it completly.  It makes it bit better, but not solve a problem.
UO has uninteresting combat mecahnics, and too much ganging pvp. Won't play a game like that again.

- end game focused in 95% at instances / arenas  - speak for itself - when you couple it with cross server automatic LFG systems then playing end-game in mmorpg's is really NO DIFFRENT than playing any lobby-like games like FPS, MOBA or RTS games like CoD, LoL or Starcraft.

Yeh ... focus on the combat, co-op group mechanics. That is the way to go. It works for FPS, MOBA and ... , and no reason why this model does not work for the new MMORPG.

I wouldn't call a lobby based, instance saturated, cash shop/RMAH infested game that has a world you might as well get rid of a MMORPG.

Get rid of? More like changing. If you have not notice, many MMOs are already lobby based instance game, and many plays as such. Are you disagreeing?

 

 

 

I think that bold section sums up why the MMORPG is going down hill. "I want it NOW I dont want to work for it, I don't want to wait for it, I don't really even want to think about it, I just want what I feel is mine and in the easiet way possible"

Dude, what you are describing is not even close to an MMORPG, stop trolling the forum man.  Anything that is lobby based is not even an MMO, its a fricking wanna be half-asse attempt, but somewhere along the way they lost the whole fact that MMO stands for MASSIVELY multiplayer RPG, where is the massive part of a lobby based game where at any given time you only interact with a few peopel randomly picked to be in your group.

What you want is a MIORPG, minimally interactive online RPG.  That is a whole different website.

 

WWW.diablo3.com

So why are people even complaining about MIORPG on a MMORPG websites.  Those arn't even MMORPG

and how is mmorpg going down hill? eve have like 500k players? It's not like there's that many mmorpg player 10 years ago.  There are maybe 1m total mmorpg players 10 years ago, just like it is today.  Actually there maybe more.  Second life is prety big too.

  Leekspin

Novice Member

Joined: 7/04/11
Posts: 4

7/28/12 11:22:11 PM#114

A story that treats the player as a hero / important one off character.

Excessive instancing.

Lack of chat/social features.

Linear / corridor world design.

Limited player-driven economy / excessive item soulbounding / simple crafting.

Everything soloable.

 

  remyburke

Hard Core Member

Joined: 7/03/04
Posts: 2963

I liked MMOs better when gamers didn't play them, and just geeks did.

7/28/12 11:28:26 PM#115

When an MMORPG becomes more "game" than "world", then it's not what I look for in an MMORPG.

Playing: ESO, Hearthstone and DayZ

Played: AC1, AC2, AO, AoC, CO, CoX, DAoC, DCUO, DN, EVE, EQ1, EQ2,
FE, FFXI, FFXIV, FF, GW1, GW2, Istaria, L2, LoTRO, MO, MxO, NW, Rift, RoE,
Ryzom, SB, SWG, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, WAR, WoW, WURM...

  Cyflym

Novice Member

Joined: 8/28/09
Posts: 30

7/29/12 2:19:10 AM#116
Originally posted by Axehilt
Originally posted by Loktofeit

Why is it that you feel the multiplayer dungeon experience can only be a 'tourist' event, rather than cooperative or competitve gameplay? 

It certainly doesn't have to be but we're talking about immersion, and certainly there's nothing immersion-breaking about going into a dungeon alone or with a group.

Whereas you're more likely to have your immersion broken if you pass "XxXLegolasXxX" heading out of the dungeon after killing your boss mob and you have to wait for a dead boss to respawn.

I played a lot of pre-WOW MMORPG dungeons and "immersion" doesn't spring to mind regarding how they played out.

Really just having respawns in the dungeon at all is a strike against immersion.  Not a big enough reduction for me to really care, because the gameplay justification might be there, but from pure immersion standpoint it's pretty jarring to have monsters attack you because they materialized out of thin air nearby.

How good is it for immersion when you see those "tourist groups" walking into the same hole in a mountain but when you go in there and pass the magic line of instance entrance you only see yourself/your group?

Did the mountain eat the others because they were not worthy or did they all take the wrong turn during the loading screen?

That's assuming you still walk to the instance entrance, not sure if that is needed still.

If that's not the case, then it's probably getting teleported there by grouping tool now, which is even worse immersion wise.

 

Now about your dislike of respawn in world dungeons, let's look at instanced dungeons:

Why YOU? There are thousands of heroes in the world just as talented, powerful and well geared as you are.

Why do YOU and your friends have to cleanse this ancient undiscovered place from evil?

Ok let's pretend you are just the better hero for the task.

 

But what's that silly talk from that random dude there at the bank?

He claims he was in the same dungeon and killed the same bosses but he wasnt with you in your group. How can that be?

Then in 24 hours or one week (whatever the reset time is) again the same?

The very same dungeon every monster every boss as if you had never been there?

The massive immersion that's caused by that is almost unbearable *cough*

 

I agree that in not only world dungeons but anywhere in the open world the respawns should be done more elegant than:

*pop*, here i am evil monster #383492 to bring havoc over this place!

Respawning just a few steps away from where evil monster #383491 died.

But whole instances resetting on a timer is far from being better in my opinion.

 

  Quirhid

Elite Member

Joined: 1/28/05
Posts: 5382

I dare you to pin a label on me.

7/29/12 3:13:15 AM#117

Originally posted by Axehilt

 

It certainly doesn't have to be but we're talking about immersion, and certainly there's nothing immersion-breaking about going into a dungeon alone or with a group.

Whereas you're more likely to have your immersion broken if you pass "XxXLegolasXxX" heading out of the dungeon after killing your boss mob and you have to wait for a dead boss to respawn.

I played a lot of pre-WOW MMORPG dungeons and "immersion" doesn't spring to mind regarding how they played out.

Really just having respawns in the dungeon at all is a strike against immersion.  Not a big enough reduction for me to really care, because the gameplay justification might be there, but from pure immersion standpoint it's pretty jarring to have monsters attack you because they materialized out of thin air nearby.

Originally posted by Axehilt

 

But players only say that about features which add little or no depth by being unwieldy/inconvenient. (Or at least those are the only complaints which matter.)

For most MMORPGs it's true that multiple AHs add no substantial depth, because those games are combat-centric and about dungeon crawling, PVPing, or questing.  Economic MMORPGs can also potentially be fun, and in those games multiple AHs might make sense.  But most MMORPGs aren't economic ones nowadays, so implying that it's somehow bad to use a single AH is incorrect, because multiple AHs add almost nothing to those other types of MMORPGs.

MMORPGs went downhill only because of a lack of WOW-style innovation.  The true magic of WOW wasn't the skin-deep featureset, but the underlying desire to tear out all the dead branches of the genre, pruning away dead inefficient mechanics and replacing them with new ones.

GW2 is doing a reasonably good job of approaching things the same way.

In a twisted way by being less of a WOW clone than the others, GW2 has become the one true WOW clone.  And since they cloned the real reason for WOW's success, they have the biggest chance for success of any MMORPG in many years. But you don't get that chance of success by letting dead branches like unnecessary timesinks (which multi-AH is, in the context of a combat-centric MMORPG) stick around.

I agree 100%.

The single most common immersion breaker is other players. Respawning mobs is also my pet peevee. I loathed the old style spawncamps which were mindnumbingly boring and very far from "high adventure". And what about fighting for the rights to spawncamp? -No thank you. I absolutely hate the mob respawn. The feeling is so strong I'd play instances just for that one reason but as it happens instances have many other advantages in addition to mobs staying dead.

Best immersion I get is with a close group of friends or when I'm alone.

I can admire Blizzard's effort to cut all the fat and make it accessible and polished. Even if I don't play WoW myself, I know its a great game for those who play it. They did a good job.

 

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

  Scot

Hard Core Member

Joined: 10/10/03
Posts: 4751

7/29/12 7:43:59 AM#118
Firstly a good MMO is not all about immersion but it plays a part. This is a game, not life, your immersion cannot be complete. Some sleight of hand is needed, both in the game and in your own mind to stay ‘in role’. I regard comments about other players as being ‘immersion breaking’ as just trying to bait those who like to group, so not biting.
 
I will to explain a couple of things I was short on before:
Design which makes you not need to travel. – It is balance, we have gone from taking ages to taking no time at all.
Design which speeds up levelling. – Xp potions, but also teleporting, buffs which you buy etc.
Design which hinders you ability to meet players again. – Cross server grouping, you can’t meet them outside a dungeon.
Design which sidelines crafting. – Crafting is one of a number of types of gameplay that don’t involve levelling your toon. In modern strip down MMO’s all we do is level so anything else is made redundant or removed. That is boring, less gameplay is not more in any ones book.
Design which cuts out roleplaying tools. – like being able to write in a book in game which someone else could pick up and read. RP tools favour interaction, but modern MMO’s just want us to level, so RP tools were doomed.
 
Design which puts graphics before gameplay and gameplay before the multiplayer experience.
– It is a design philosophy that says “if we make them go ‘Wow!’ it does not matter how bad the gameplay is”. We do have new types of gameplay like dailies, which is trite, quick, throwaway gameplay. We have lost or had dumbed down gameplay which had depth and takes time, like crafting and HQ building.
- It is a design philosophy that says “centre everything around the solo player and throw in a few scarps so we can make out it’s a MMO”.
  Axehilt

Novice Member

Joined: 5/09/09
Posts: 7213

7/29/12 8:59:56 AM#119
Originally posted by Cyflym

How good is it for immersion when you see those "tourist groups" walking into the same hole in a mountain but when you go in there and pass the magic line of instance entrance you only see yourself/your group?

Did the mountain eat the others because they were not worthy or did they all take the wrong turn during the loading screen?

That's assuming you still walk to the instance entrance, not sure if that is needed still.

If that's not the case, then it's probably getting teleported there by grouping tool now, which is even worse immersion wise.

 

Now about your dislike of respawn in world dungeons, let's look at instanced dungeons:

Why YOU? There are thousands of heroes in the world just as talented, powerful and well geared as you are.

Why do YOU and your friends have to cleanse this ancient undiscovered place from evil?

Ok let's pretend you are just the better hero for the task.

 

But what's that silly talk from that random dude there at the bank?

He claims he was in the same dungeon and killed the same bosses but he wasnt with you in your group. How can that be?

Then in 24 hours or one week (whatever the reset time is) again the same?

The very same dungeon every monster every boss as if you had never been there?

The massive immersion that's caused by that is almost unbearable *cough*

 

I agree that in not only world dungeons but anywhere in the open world the respawns should be done more elegant than:

*pop*, here i am evil monster #383492 to bring havoc over this place!

Respawning just a few steps away from where evil monster #383491 died.

But whole instances resetting on a timer is far from being better in my opinion.

 

In Lord of the Rings you don't read/watch about all the times Frodo goes to the bathroom.  You don't read/watch all of the hours the fellowship spends sleeping.  This doesn't break immersion with the fiction, because it wouldn't have added to (and in fact would have detracted from) the overall experience.

Same deal with MMORPGs and traveling to a dungeon.

The flow state (immersion) is actually reduced or prevented if your time is spent making your character sleep, pee, or travel to a dungeon.

Instead of engaging in activities which suck you in (immersion), you engage in activities which suck.

Focusing on Frodo's failure to pee might ruin LOTR for you in the same way focusing on instancing would ruin MMORPG immersion, but at the end of the day it's your decision whether to ruin your immersion over something that trivial -- or suffer the consequences when the developer makes a piss-poor game focused on mundane drudgery.

  User Deleted
7/29/12 9:39:49 AM#120

Instancing has it's place. Because instanced actvities can do so much more than open world. Developers tend to tweak things to make instanced actvites work better. Like balancing combat derp. The good  content and of coarse the rewards are instanced for their special activities.

Gee I wonder what your data will tell you what the players want more of? And then it continues from there. While the open world is ignored because the data shows the world is not important blah blah blah. So bye bye pvp.

The open world is reduced to nothing, and people claim it really isnt important.

It has it's place, but the open world is where the game is played. everyone knows what instancing does. The very thing developers promise it wont.

No. Not again please. Id rather just keep instancing out of the game then have people  wondering what happened to that feeling.

9 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Search