Trending Games | ArcheAge | Destiny | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,333 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,239,443
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Angry Birds Epic Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Ascend: Hand of Kul Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Boot Hill Heroes Borderlands 2 Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Bound by Flame Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Bravada Bravely Default Bravely Second Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Cast & Conquer Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Child of Light Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Dead Island Dead Island 2 Dead Island: Riptide Deco Online Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Divinity: Original Sin Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Age: Inquisition Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Drakengard 3 Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dungeon of the Endless Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Fearless Fantasy Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Heart Forth Alicia Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes & Legends: Conquerors of Kolhar Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Phoenix Edition LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Lichdom: Battlemage Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lords of the Fallen Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Moonrise Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Persona V Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Project Blackout Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Project Zomboid Puzzle Pirates Quest for Infamy Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Risen 3: Titan Lords Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sacred 3 Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Chance Heroes Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow Realms Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Styx: Master of Shadows Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Banner Saga The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Hammers End The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2 The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Total Domination Transformers Universe Transistor Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune Wasteland 2 WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenoblade Chronicles: X Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

General Discussion

General Discussion 

The Pub at MMORPG.COM  » I WANT to be afraid to die!

11 Pages First « 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 » Search
206 posts found
  nariusseldon

Elite Member

Joined: 12/21/07
Posts: 19731

2/23/12 1:11:41 PM#161
Originally posted by Charas
 

If it's just your opinion you're expressing, then of course I have no problem, I respect your personal opinion.

What I can't stand is people telling the world how it all is, ie: "nobody likes harsh DPs", "they're not fun", "no serious developer will ever make such a game again".

Not only are these claims wrong, they're also offensive, to me at least.

I like something and I keep getting told that I'm in the minority and that I shouldn't be taken seriously....basically.

Screw that.


Let me see:

"nonboby likes harsh DPs" .. well that sounds extreme but certainly it is fair game to discuss or speculate how POPULAR this feature is. I do not think anyone would disagree that only a MINORITY of the MMO players like harsh DP. In fact, that was a main complaint in EQ .. and that is WHY WOW changed it. If it is very popular in EQ, don't u thinkk WOW will step it UP instead of down.

"they're not fun" .. well .. they are NOT FUN FOR ME. I see nothing wrong to express that opinion. NO difference than you say "they are fun for ME".

"no serious developer will ever make such a game again" .. i also see that is fair game to discuss. This is a MMO discussion forum. Don't you think it is reasonable to discuss what developers will or will not do. Certainly it can be an opinion and stated as such.

If you think the claim is wrong, state your reasons.

  TruthXHurts

Novice Member

Joined: 6/20/10
Posts: 1640

I am here to chew bubblegum and to kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum!

2/23/12 1:16:48 PM#162
Originally posted by nariusseldon
Originally posted by Charas
 

If it's just your opinion you're expressing, then of course I have no problem, I respect your personal opinion.

What I can't stand is people telling the world how it all is, ie: "nobody likes harsh DPs", "they're not fun", "no serious developer will ever make such a game again".

Not only are these claims wrong, they're also offensive, to me at least.

I like something and I keep getting told that I'm in the minority and that I shouldn't be taken seriously....basically.

Screw that.


Let me see:

"nonboby likes harsh DPs" .. well that sounds extreme but certainly it is fair game to discuss or speculate how POPULAR this feature is. I do not think anyone would disagree that only a MINORITY of the MMO players like harsh DP. In fact, that was a main complaint in EQ .. and that is WHY WOW changed it. If it is very popular in EQ, don't u thinkk WOW will step it UP instead of down.

"they're not fun" .. well .. they are NOT FUN FOR ME. I see nothing wrong to express that opinion. NO difference than you say "they are fun for ME".

"no serious developer will ever make such a game again" .. i also see that is fair game to discuss. This is a MMO discussion forum. Don't you think it is reasonable to discuss what developers will or will not do. Certainly it can be an opinion and stated as such.

If you think the claim is wrong, state your reasons.

I agree that no powerhouse company gobbling megacorp machine like EA will ever make a good sandbox MMO. The argument that there is no room for a small well developed sandbox game to thrive is disproven by EvE's success. The fact that some argue  against the idea that one should even want to play a different type of game than what they enjoy is just a sign of how ignorant we are becoming as a society.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

  AvatarBlade

Hard Core Member

Joined: 7/11/06
Posts: 772

2/23/12 1:18:19 PM#163
Originally posted by sullivanj69
Originally posted by nariusseldon
Originally posted by Charas
 

You missed the part where I said "well made". DF to me isn't a well made game.

I don't understand why some of you are on such a crusade against harsh DPs and even FFA PvP for that matter. Are you terrified that it might one day become the norm and that you'll be left out of MMOs for good?

If that's the case, let me say it's completely idiotic. Risk free MMOs aren't going anywhere, that's for sure.

So why do you care if other people, with different tastes, have a game they can enjoy?

I don't understand why some of you are so afraid of people expressing a different OPINION. This is an internet forum. We can express whatever opinions we like.

And it is quite simple. I don't play harsh DP games. So i vote with my wallet and you vote with yours. If it becomes the norm, i will just do something else. There are plenty of entertainment out there. So who is terrified?

And i would ask you the same: "So why do you care if other people, with different tastes, have a game they can enjoy?"

It's because you vote with your wallet.  I have no problem with their being different types of games for different people to enjoy.  What i do have a problem with is that 99.9% of games nowadays are designed so that players can beat them with no challenge at all, almost like watching a movie with a game controller.  As long as these games are successful then it hurts the development of the games I like, games with harsh death penalties and challenge.

My favorite games these days are EVE and Dark Souls.  The worst game ever made is SWTOR.   EVE is the only mmorpg I have played where I would actually get "the shakes" sometimes during PVP.  It is because everything is on the line when you get into a fight in EVE.  If you die, most of your shit is straight up destroyed, leaving only a portion for your enemy to loot.  There is no substitute for an adhrenaline rush though.  You just can't get that in games like WoW (or worse, SWTOR)  In SWTOR if you die not only is there no death penalty, you can self res yourself right where you died.  That really takes the cake for eazymode. 

With a harsh death penalty, suddenly conflicts between Corporations(guilds) become meaningful.  If some other corp is knocking out your ships left and right you better damn well hit the negotiation table or your corp is done for a while.  This setup leads to a lot of exciting stories, so much even that a lot of non-EVE players like to read and comment on EVE blogs.  Non-Wow players sure as hell don't read and comment on WoW blogs.

Anyway, i find it sickening how eazymode games have become and hope that the industry can preserve the idea of challenge and risk/reward in future games.  That is why i feel the need to troll, denigrate, insult, and hate certain games.

 

And this might be one of the reasons that not more people want or try out a harsher death penalty/harder game. Because beside "fearing" the difficulty of the game, they also would not want to associate with people like you, thus making the possible player base of such a game even smaller, which brings to an even smaller chance that someone would invest in a harder game. I like DS a lot too, but I find it stupid to go to someone that playes an easier game and tell him he is an idiot because he doesn't enjoy DS.

  TruthXHurts

Novice Member

Joined: 6/20/10
Posts: 1640

I am here to chew bubblegum and to kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum!

2/23/12 1:39:58 PM#164
Originally posted by AvatarBlade
Originally posted by sullivanj69
Originally posted by nariusseldon
Originally posted by Charas
 

You missed the part where I said "well made". DF to me isn't a well made game.

I don't understand why some of you are on such a crusade against harsh DPs and even FFA PvP for that matter. Are you terrified that it might one day become the norm and that you'll be left out of MMOs for good?

If that's the case, let me say it's completely idiotic. Risk free MMOs aren't going anywhere, that's for sure.

So why do you care if other people, with different tastes, have a game they can enjoy?

I don't understand why some of you are so afraid of people expressing a different OPINION. This is an internet forum. We can express whatever opinions we like.

And it is quite simple. I don't play harsh DP games. So i vote with my wallet and you vote with yours. If it becomes the norm, i will just do something else. There are plenty of entertainment out there. So who is terrified?

And i would ask you the same: "So why do you care if other people, with different tastes, have a game they can enjoy?"

It's because you vote with your wallet.  I have no problem with their being different types of games for different people to enjoy.  What i do have a problem with is that 99.9% of games nowadays are designed so that players can beat them with no challenge at all, almost like watching a movie with a game controller.  As long as these games are successful then it hurts the development of the games I like, games with harsh death penalties and challenge.

My favorite games these days are EVE and Dark Souls.  The worst game ever made is SWTOR.   EVE is the only mmorpg I have played where I would actually get "the shakes" sometimes during PVP.  It is because everything is on the line when you get into a fight in EVE.  If you die, most of your shit is straight up destroyed, leaving only a portion for your enemy to loot.  There is no substitute for an adhrenaline rush though.  You just can't get that in games like WoW (or worse, SWTOR)  In SWTOR if you die not only is there no death penalty, you can self res yourself right where you died.  That really takes the cake for eazymode. 

With a harsh death penalty, suddenly conflicts between Corporations(guilds) become meaningful.  If some other corp is knocking out your ships left and right you better damn well hit the negotiation table or your corp is done for a while.  This setup leads to a lot of exciting stories, so much even that a lot of non-EVE players like to read and comment on EVE blogs.  Non-Wow players sure as hell don't read and comment on WoW blogs.

Anyway, i find it sickening how eazymode games have become and hope that the industry can preserve the idea of challenge and risk/reward in future games.  That is why i feel the need to troll, denigrate, insult, and hate certain games.

 

And this might be one of the reasons that not more people want or try out a harsher death penalty/harder game. Because beside "fearing" the difficulty of the game, they also would not want to associate with people like you, thus making the possible player base of such a game even smaller, which brings to an even smaller chance that someone would invest in a harder game. I like DS a lot too, but I find it stupid to go to someone that playes an easier game and tell him he is an idiot because he doesn't enjoy DS.

So form up a righteous anti pk/asshat clan and beat this guy back under his bridge. With current games he's able to spout his garbage unchecked, and invading the chatbubble of your favorite area. In a FFA with death penalty he would be wise to watch his P's and Q's.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

  mugengaia

Apprentice Member

Joined: 9/27/04
Posts: 363

2/23/12 1:52:49 PM#165
Originally posted by nariusseldon
Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Are you sure? Do you have a number? Or is that just your guess?

There are clearly not enough to make DarkFall and the likes huge successes.

Ultima Online is still going strong. What say you to this?

Going strong? How many sub? 100k? 200k? Even Eve has only 300-400k subs, a very small part of the market. On last count (research done by Newzoo), there are 30-40M MMO players just in the US.

 

I'm only going to say this once, but kids like you really need to go back to school. 

For a game as old as UO, if it had 100k-200k concurrent users with so little server numbers, percentage wise it is doing extremely well even in comparison to WoW. 

Think about the number of servers WoW is running in the NA server alone, then add up the double of that number for China alone, and a 2/3 of that to the EU servers.  Then add up the regional publishers making 2/3 of the money in China for example, and paying off the remaining royalty to Blizzard. 

If you were to assume Blizzard makes roughly 1.8billion a year in gross income, you have to realize these guys only get a fraction of it left over as retained earnings after the expenses and deductions are made.  In reality that 1.8billion is really bloated if you take into consideration the expenses on advertisement, only partial earnings from different publishers from different regions, and other expenses on 2,700 employee payroll and server maintenances. 

In reality, if WoW earns for Blizzard a total of 500million dollars in retained earnings a year, I would be surprised. 

Now back to UO.  If UO indeed has 100k-200k subs (which I doubt actually), it's probably making 18-36million dollars a year in gross income.  Deduct practically nothing for advertisements, maybe a million for server maintenance, and a payroll to probably two handful of employees, and percentage wise, UO would be doing absolutely fantastic. 

And I can guarantee you that if UO indeed has 100k-200k subscribers, the few dozen at Mythic UO staff would be getting paid equal salary or even better in comparison to most of 2,700 employees at Blizzard Entertainment.  Of course, considering the pure cash Blizzard does make, much of that money goes to the few executives, who I absolutely don't give a piece of turd for.

GRIND sucks? You wanna be max level in a month?
Since when did society award easy-goers and lazy-fools?
MAKES ME PHOBIC OF STUPIDITY!

  Axehilt

Novice Member

Joined: 5/09/09
Posts: 7213

2/23/12 2:51:30 PM#166
Originally posted by Banaghran
Originally posted by Axehilt 

but overall players sure as hell don't find excessive punishment fun.

You shirley have some statistical data on that :)

Punishment is only a means to an end, and subjective, in L2 loosing possibly 30 minutes of grind every death can be seen as harsh, yet it didnt stop all those pvpers from actually fighting each other, similarly dying crops in farmville :)

But i agree with the rest of your post. 

You consider dying crops in FarmVille to be excessive punishment?  The time punishment is moderate, but the gameplay puishment is almost nonexistant.  It's basically one more click.

Contrast that with L2 where you're forced to actively be playing the repetition in order to recoup the penalty.

Most MMORPG players want challenge and the risk of failure (although if we're bringing FarmVille into the discussion, that's an excellent data point.  In terms of the entire potential gamer audience of the entire games industry, a very sizable group of players isn't interested in failure at all, let alone punishment.)  But most popular games don't excessively punish you for failure, they simply do a light immediate reset which puts you right back into the action.  Failure involves getting right back into the core gameplay (contrast that with MMORPGs which often involve quite a lot of downtime and/or painful corpse runs upon death.)

And don't call me Shirley.

  MumboJumbo

Hard Core Member

Joined: 7/18/10
Posts: 3170

Veni, Vidi, Converti

2/23/12 3:03:57 PM#167

Interesting topic!

1)"Progression" a lot of mmorpgs:

The Red Queen said: "It takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place."

 

(2) "Survival" in mmorpgs with a fear of dying:

Two hikers walking along a trail in a forest, came across an enormous brown bear lumbering up the trail towards them. The bear stops some 75 feet from where they are; growls ferociously, & begins running toward them at a full tilt !!! Immediately one of the hikers drops his pack, and grabs for a pair of running shoes at this point the other hiker shouts to him: "What the hell are you doing? You'll never be able to outrun THAT bear!". The first hiker hollers back at him: "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun YOU!"

In (1) progression is assumed to be perpetual state and so the cost is therefore an eternal treadmill. In (2) progression is a by-product of successfully surviving and the cost is SOMEONE ELSE dying. If many games are (1) then there is a place for (2) where death is either where the game is over - or is just beginning - again.

 

  Snakex

Novice Member

Joined: 7/10/08
Posts: 249

Unfortunately, killing is just one of those things that gets easier the more you do it.

2/23/12 3:10:36 PM#168

To the OP,

After Skimming your article, simple i can tell you, go and play Darkfall, or the free trial, im sure you will love the adrenaline rush, the paranoia at times, the insane PvP and general combat over all, and let me tell you, the grind is long =] well kinda. the sence of accomplishment in Darkfall is quite nice too.

  daelnor

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/16/04
Posts: 1467

2/23/12 3:22:50 PM#169
Originally posted by AcmeGamer
Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Fear of death is a very simple thing to institute into games.

If you die, you lose all your belongings.

But companies are too afraid of losing subscribers to do it.

 

 What  I liked was systems where it wasn't automatic. Basically systems where items had breakage chances based on type of item and what it was made of, where you could improve and repair as well. On dying, I liked that if someone came out or stumbled upon your corpse they could raise you or organize a rescue.

 

 I had alot more fun when we used to have to organize corpse runs to rescue characters bodies and gear. Which also sometimes got us killed as well. Which might cause more to have to come and rescue the rescue party! One game I used to play priests had an ability called "life keep". It prevented the soul/spirit from departing the body. Also you could find these life keep flasks which head 1 to 3 doses of "life keep" in them.

 

 Anyhow you'd life keep the corpse, then call for a priest and healer. You see you had to heal the body of its wounds before you could raise it. Well you could raise it but it might die again due to bleeding out from the various wounds. Anyhow things like that added a lot to the sense of adventure and wanting to be a part of a group. Though I might often solo just to see what I could achieve on my own under harsher conditions, I loved grouping as well. I loved coming to help others, or picking chests/disarming traps for others and being tipped for my services. I liked going to a crafter and having him craft me gear I wanted to use etc.

 

 Those game worlds felt more immersive and living then what we see now. What we see now is more like pulling a lever and getting a treat tied into watching a movie. Sort of immersive but not in the way a living, breathing, game world should be. btw if you didn't get life kept and or raised your body decomposed and your gear would then be on the ground. There was a chance of the critters picking up the items if they could use them like weapons and shields. And over time the gear would start to also vanish, but if you were fast or others came in time they could gather your gear for you.

 

  I honestly don't see these types of game worlds ever returning, players don't want true risk/reward systems anymore. Sense of achievement is capping, dinging various achievements that mostly don't require much skill or effort, grinding for gear etc. Hell role-play as the norm or at least remaining IC(In character) and not talking about real world crap in the game world died years ago. lol

 

Gemstone is still my all time favorite! I played that for years until I got talked into playing DAOC...could never go back after I had graphics though... 

  BigHatLogan

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 1/09/06
Posts: 695

2/23/12 3:36:08 PM#170
Originally posted by AvatarBlade
Originally posted by sullivanj69
Originally posted by nariusseldon
Originally posted by Charas
 

You missed the part where I said "well made". DF to me isn't a well made game.

I don't understand why some of you are on such a crusade against harsh DPs and even FFA PvP for that matter. Are you terrified that it might one day become the norm and that you'll be left out of MMOs for good?

If that's the case, let me say it's completely idiotic. Risk free MMOs aren't going anywhere, that's for sure.

So why do you care if other people, with different tastes, have a game they can enjoy?

I don't understand why some of you are so afraid of people expressing a different OPINION. This is an internet forum. We can express whatever opinions we like.

And it is quite simple. I don't play harsh DP games. So i vote with my wallet and you vote with yours. If it becomes the norm, i will just do something else. There are plenty of entertainment out there. So who is terrified?

And i would ask you the same: "So why do you care if other people, with different tastes, have a game they can enjoy?"

It's because you vote with your wallet.  I have no problem with their being different types of games for different people to enjoy.  What i do have a problem with is that 99.9% of games nowadays are designed so that players can beat them with no challenge at all, almost like watching a movie with a game controller.  As long as these games are successful then it hurts the development of the games I like, games with harsh death penalties and challenge.

My favorite games these days are EVE and Dark Souls.  The worst game ever made is SWTOR.   EVE is the only mmorpg I have played where I would actually get "the shakes" sometimes during PVP.  It is because everything is on the line when you get into a fight in EVE.  If you die, most of your shit is straight up destroyed, leaving only a portion for your enemy to loot.  There is no substitute for an adhrenaline rush though.  You just can't get that in games like WoW (or worse, SWTOR)  In SWTOR if you die not only is there no death penalty, you can self res yourself right where you died.  That really takes the cake for eazymode. 

With a harsh death penalty, suddenly conflicts between Corporations(guilds) become meaningful.  If some other corp is knocking out your ships left and right you better damn well hit the negotiation table or your corp is done for a while.  This setup leads to a lot of exciting stories, so much even that a lot of non-EVE players like to read and comment on EVE blogs.  Non-Wow players sure as hell don't read and comment on WoW blogs.

Anyway, i find it sickening how eazymode games have become and hope that the industry can preserve the idea of challenge and risk/reward in future games.  That is why i feel the need to troll, denigrate, insult, and hate certain games.

 

And this might be one of the reasons that not more people want or try out a harsher death penalty/harder game. Because beside "fearing" the difficulty of the game, they also would not want to associate with people like you, thus making the possible player base of such a game even smaller, which brings to an even smaller chance that someone would invest in a harder game. I like DS a lot too, but I find it stupid to go to someone that playes an easier game and tell him he is an idiot because he doesn't enjoy DS.

Hey, I hate the game not the player, so to speak.  I don't recall calling anyone an idiot for liking any sort of game.  I am pretty sure my trolling/hate posts are directed at games.  But i guess i do understand why someone wouldn't want to associate with me, I have always been an RPK at heart.  The saddest thing about online games nowadays is that no one even knows what an RPK is anymore...

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!

I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

  Zekiah

Advanced Member

Joined: 1/06/07
Posts: 2539

Hype (noun)
1. to trick; gull.
2. exaggerated publicity; hoopla.
3. swindle, deception, or trick.

2/23/12 3:38:42 PM#171

/signed

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

  Palladin

Novice Member

Joined: 11/25/10
Posts: 434

2/23/12 3:52:16 PM#172

signed

 

I have never been one who cared much for getting to the lvl cap in any game. I really do not understand the mind of people who rush to the lvl cap in all games. Noone is gona care who hits the lvl cap first be it today tomorr next week or a year from now. It more about the fun along the way.

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
8 gig Ram
Radeon 4870

  Acmegamer

Novice Member

Joined: 7/16/10
Posts: 337

2/23/12 7:26:48 PM#173
Originally posted by daelnor
Originally posted by AcmeGamer
Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Fear of death is a very simple thing to institute into games.

If you die, you lose all your belongings.

But companies are too afraid of losing subscribers to do it.

 

 What  I liked was systems where it wasn't automatic. Basically systems where items had breakage chances based on type of item and what it was made of, where you could improve and repair as well. On dying, I liked that if someone came out or stumbled upon your corpse they could raise you or organize a rescue.

 

 I had alot more fun when we used to have to organize corpse runs to rescue characters bodies and gear. Which also sometimes got us killed as well. Which might cause more to have to come and rescue the rescue party! One game I used to play priests had an ability called "life keep". It prevented the soul/spirit from departing the body. Also you could find these life keep flasks which head 1 to 3 doses of "life keep" in them.

 

 Anyhow you'd life keep the corpse, then call for a priest and healer. You see you had to heal the body of its wounds before you could raise it. Well you could raise it but it might die again due to bleeding out from the various wounds. Anyhow things like that added a lot to the sense of adventure and wanting to be a part of a group. Though I might often solo just to see what I could achieve on my own under harsher conditions, I loved grouping as well. I loved coming to help others, or picking chests/disarming traps for others and being tipped for my services. I liked going to a crafter and having him craft me gear I wanted to use etc.

 

 Those game worlds felt more immersive and living then what we see now. What we see now is more like pulling a lever and getting a treat tied into watching a movie. Sort of immersive but not in the way a living, breathing, game world should be. btw if you didn't get life kept and or raised your body decomposed and your gear would then be on the ground. There was a chance of the critters picking up the items if they could use them like weapons and shields. And over time the gear would start to also vanish, but if you were fast or others came in time they could gather your gear for you.

 

  I honestly don't see these types of game worlds ever returning, players don't want true risk/reward systems anymore. Sense of achievement is capping, dinging various achievements that mostly don't require much skill or effort, grinding for gear etc. Hell role-play as the norm or at least remaining IC(In character) and not talking about real world crap in the game world died years ago. lol

 

Gemstone is still my all time favorite! I played that for years until I got talked into playing DAOC...could never go back after I had graphics though... 

 

  Yeah once you get used to graphics, going back to reading scrolling text is much harder. I finally found myself suffering from that one myself. I'd love to see a graphical version of a game like GS or DR, at least more of the elements that those games offered. 

 

  Wickedjelly

Novice Member

Joined: 4/19/09
Posts: 5064

The Dude abides

2/23/12 7:39:46 PM#174

I don't mind xp loss. I don't mind armor wear. I don't mind time penalties (corpse run, debuff, etc.).

What I don't care for ever having to deal with again is trying to track down my corpse for fear of losing all my items anymore. No thank you. If a  game has that in place I'm out unless by design losing those items is a minimal concern at best. I don't want to deal with that sort of hassle and frustration ever again. Dealt with it long enough and frankly there was nothing fun about it in the least.

Especially if some poor soul got into a position where their corpse couldn't be gathered due to a bug or some other issue or some other ridiculous notion where if they were running and died you better hope to god you have someone that can track the corpse to try and find it. No thanks.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

  malevs

Novice Member

Joined: 1/26/12
Posts: 12

2/23/12 9:09:38 PM#175

no developer is going to be able to get funding for a game that would fill a niche in the mmo market that caters to hardcore mmo players

sad but true

  Goatgod76

Novice Member

Joined: 6/24/06
Posts: 1226

2/23/12 9:50:06 PM#176
Originally posted by Palladin

signed

 

I have never been one who cared much for getting to the lvl cap in any game. I really do not understand the mind of people who rush to the lvl cap in all games. Noone is gona care who hits the lvl cap first be it today tomorr next week or a year from now. It more about the fun along the way.

I am betting it is mainly the console generation introduced to MMORPG's by WoW.

  Goatgod76

Novice Member

Joined: 6/24/06
Posts: 1226

2/23/12 9:57:42 PM#177
Originally posted by TruthXHurts
 

I agree that no powerhouse company gobbling megacorp machine like EA will ever make a good sandbox MMO. The argument that there is no room for a small well developed sandbox game to thrive is disproven by EvE's success. The fact that some argue  against the idea that one should even want to play a different type of game than what they enjoy is just a sign of how ignorant we are becoming as a society.

You forgot selfish, self centered, and self entitled and spoiled.

  Acmegamer

Novice Member

Joined: 7/16/10
Posts: 337

2/24/12 7:47:45 AM#178
Originally posted by malevs

no developer is going to be able to get funding for a game that would fill a niche in the mmo market that caters to hardcore mmo players

sad but true

 

            Agreed, I've grown to accept that over the few years as I kept waiting and waiting. You either except it or go back to playing text based online rpgs or table top ones. Basically you keep your eyes open incase one does come along, otherwise you don't spend much time hoping for one. I'm keeping one eye on Goblinworks because there are those elements from the older days of fun in multi-player online rpg in what they are doing. Hopefully they can get the funding and make it to a point where we can play.

 

 

                

  kevorkianj

Novice Member

Joined: 9/05/09
Posts: 54

2/24/12 9:47:44 AM#179

It's said a couple of times before: Darkfall.

  TruthXHurts

Novice Member

Joined: 6/20/10
Posts: 1640

I am here to chew bubblegum and to kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum!

2/24/12 9:53:59 AM#180
Originally posted by Goatgod76
Originally posted by Palladin

signed

 

I have never been one who cared much for getting to the lvl cap in any game. I really do not understand the mind of people who rush to the lvl cap in all games. Noone is gona care who hits the lvl cap first be it today tomorr next week or a year from now. It more about the fun along the way.

I am betting it is mainly the console generation introduced to MMORPG's by WoW.

I've had a console since I was 2 years old. It's just bad parentling by recent generations of parrents. I'm sorry young gamers we have failed you. We have taught you to rush through life, and that working towards a goal is not what you should do, but instead complain and whine that things are too hard until they are done for you. Once again I apologize for my generation and the previous one before that. We have failed to teach you that the journey is the reward, and not the destination.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

11 Pages First « 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 » Search