Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | Firefall | H1Z1 | ArcheAge

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,852,028 Users Online:0
Games:733  Posts:6,226,552
Recent forum postsRSS
Active threads
Cloud view
List all forums
General Forums
Developers Corner General Discussion
Popular Game Forums
Click a status to find game forum
Game Forums
Click a letter to find game forum
A-C
2029 Online 2112: Revolution 2Moons 4Story 8BitMMO 9 Dragons A Mystical Land A Tale in the Desert III A3 ACE Online ARGO Online Aberoth Absolute Force Online Absolute Terror Achaea Adellion Aerrevan Aetolia, the Midnight Age Age of Armor Age of Conan Age of Empires Online Age of Mourning Age of Wulin Age of Wushu Aida Arenas Aika Aion Albion Online Alganon All Points Bulletin (APB) Allods Online Altis Gates Amazing World Anarchy Online Ancients of Fasaria Andromeda 5 Angels Online Anime Trumps Anmynor Anno Online Applo Arcane Hearts Arcane Legends ArchLord ArcheAge Archeblade Archlord X Asda 2 Asda Story Ashen Empires Asheron's Call Asheron's Call 2 Astera Online Astonia III Astro Empires Astro Lords: Oort CLoud Asura Force Atlantica Online Atriarch Aura Kingdom Aurora Blade Auto Assault Avatar Star Battle Dawn Battle Dawn Galaxies Battle for Graxia Battle of 3 Kingdoms Battle of the Immortals Battlecruiser Online Battlestar Galactica Online Battlestar Reloaded Beyond Protocol Black Aftermath Black Desert Black Gold Black Prophecy Black Prophecy Tactics: Nexus Conflict Blacklight Retribution Blade & Soul Blade Hunter Blade Wars Blazing Throne Bless Blitz 1941 Blood and Jade Bloodlines Champions Bounty Bay Online Brain Storm Brawl Busters. Brick-Force Bright Shadow Bullet Run Business Tycoon Online CTRacer Cabal Online Caesary Call of Camelot Call of Gods Call of Thrones Camelot Unchained Canaan Online Cardmon Hero Cartoon Universe CasinoRPG Castle Empire Castlot Celtic Heroes Champions Online Champions of Regnum Chaos Online Chrono Tales Citadel of Sorcery CitiesXL Citizen Zero City of Decay City of Heroes City of Steam City of Transformers City of Villains Civilization Online Clan Lord Clash of Clans Cloud Nine Club Penguin Colony of War Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Company of Heroes Online Conquer Online Conquer Online 3 Continent of the Ninth (C9) Core Blaze Core Exiles Corum Online Craft of Gods Crimecraft Crimelife 2 Cronous Crota II Crusaders of Solaris Cultures Online Cyber Monster 2 Céiron Wars
D-F
D&D Online DC Universe DK Online DOTA DOTA 2 DUST 514 DV8: Exile Dalethaan Dance Groove Online Dark Age of Camelot Dark Ages Dark Legends Dark Orbit Dark Relic: Prelude Dark Solstice Dark and Light DarkEden Online DarkSpace Darkblood Online Darkest Dungeon Darkfall Darkfall: Unholy Wars Darkwind: War on Wheels Das Tal Dawn of Fantasy Dawntide DayZ Dead Earth Dead Frontier Deco Online Deepworld Defiance Deicide Online Dekaron Demons at the Horizon Desert Operations Destiny Diablo 3 Diamonin Digimon Battle Dino Storm Disciple Divergence Divina Divine Souls Dofus Dominus Online Dragon Ball Online Dragon Born Online Dragon Crusade Dragon Empires Dragon Eternity Dragon Nest Dragon Oath Dragon Pals Dragon Raja Dragon's Call Dragon's Call II Dragon's Prophet DragonSky DragonSoul Dragona Dragonica Dragons and Titans Dream of Mirror Online Dreamland Online Dreamlords: The Reawakening Drift City Duels Dungeon Blitz Dungeon Fighter Online Dungeon Overlord Dungeon Party Dungeon Rampage Dungeon Runners Dynastica Dynasty Warriors Online Dynasty of the Magi EIN (Epicus Incognitus) EVE Online Earth Eternal Earth and Beyond Earthrise Eclipse War Ecol Tactics Online Eden Eternal Edge of Space Einherjar - The Viking's Blood Elder Scrolls Online Eldevin Elf Online Elite: Dangerous Embers of Caerus Emil Chronicle Online Empire Empire & State Empire Craft Empire Universe 3 EmpireQuest Empires of Galldon End of Nations Endless Ages Endless Blue Moon Online Endless Online Entropia Universe EpicDuel Erebus: Travia Reborn Eredan Eternal Blade Eternal Lands Eternal Saga Ether Fields Ether Saga Online Eudemons Online EuroGangster EverEmber Online EverQuest Next EverQuest Online Adventures Evernight Everquest Everquest II Evony Exarch Exorace F.E.A.R. Online Face of Mankind Fairyland Online Fall of Rome Fallen Earth Fallen Sword Fallout Online Family Guy Online Fantage Fantasy Earth Zero Fantasy Realm Online Fantasy Tales Online Fantasy Worlds: Rhynn Faunasphere Faxion Online Ferentus Ferion Fiesta Online Final Fantasy XI Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Firefall Fists of Fu Florensia Flyff Football Manager Live Football Superstars Force of Arms Forge Forsaken World Fortnite Fortuna Forum for Discussion of Everlight Freaky Creatures Free Realms Freesky Online Freeworld Fung Wan Online Furcadia Fury Fusion Fall
G-L
GalaXseeds Galactic Command Online Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms Gameglobe Gate To Heavens Gates of Andaron Gatheryn Gauntlet Gekkeiju Online Ghost Online Ghost Recon Online Gladiatus Glitch Global Agenda Global Soccer Gloria Victis Glory of Gods GoGoRacer Goal Line Blitz Gods and Heroes GodsWar Online Golemizer Golf Star GoonZu Online Graal Kingdoms Granado Espada Online Grand Chase Grand Fantasia Grepolis Grimlands Guild Wars Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars Factions Guild Wars Nightfall H1Z1 Habbo Hotel Hailan Rising HaloSphere2 Haven & Hearth Hawken Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Helbreath Hellgate Hellgate: London Hello Kitty Online Hero Online Hero Zero Hero's Journey Hero: 108 Online HeroSmash Heroes & Generals Heroes in the Sky Heroes of Bestia Heroes of Gaia Heroes of Might and Magic Online Heroes of Thessalonica Heroes of Three Kingdoms Heroes of the Storm Hex Holic Online Hostile Space Hunter Blade Huxley Illutia Illyriad Immortals USA Imperator Imperian Inferno Legend Infestation: Survivor Stories Infinite Crisis Infinity Infinity Iris Online Iron Grip: Marauders Irth Worlds Island Forge Islands of War Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Jade Dynasty Jagged Alliance Online Juggernaut Jumpgate Jumpgate Evolution KAL Online Kakele Online Kaos War Karos Online Kartuga Kicks Online King of Kings 3 Kingdom Heroes Kingdom Under Fire II Kingdom of Drakkar Kingory Kings and Legends Kings of the Realm KingsRoad Kitsu Saga Kiwarriors Knight Age Knight Online Knights of Dream City Kothuria Kung Foo! Kunlun Online L.A.W. LEGO Universe La Tale Land of Chaos Online Landmark Lands of Hope: Phoenix Edition LastChaos League of Angels League of Legends - Clash of Fates Legend of Edda: Vengeance Legend of Golden Plume Legend of Katha Legend of Mir 2 Legend of Mir 3 Legendary Champions Lego Minifigures Online Life is Feudal Light of Nova Lime Odyssey Line of Defense Lineage Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance Lineage II Linkrealms Loong Online Lord of the Rings Online Lords Online Lost Saga Lucent Heart Lunia Lusternia: Age of Ascension Luvinia World
M-Q
MU Online Mabinogi Maestia: Rise of Keledus MagiKnights Magic Barrage Magic World Online Manga Fighter MapleStory Martial Heroes Marvel Heroes Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Marvel: Avengers Alliance MechWarrior Online Megaten Meridian 59 : Evolution Merlin MetalMercs Metaplace Metin 2 MicroVolts Midkemia Online Might & Magic Heroes: Kingdoms MilMo Minecraft Mini Fighter Minions of Mirth Ministry of War Monato Esprit Monkey King Online Monkey Quest Monster & Me Monster Madness Online MonsterMMORPG Moonlight Online: Tales of Eternal Blood Mordavia Mortal Online Mourning My Lands Myst Online: URU Live Myth Angels Online Myth War Myth War 2 Mytheon Mythic Saga Mythos N.E.O Online NIDA Online Nadirim Naviage: The Power of Capital Navy Field Need for Speed World Nemexia Neo's Land NeoSteam Neocron Nether Neverwinter Nexus: The Kingdom Of The Winds NinjaTrick NosTale Novus Aeterno Oberin Odin Quest Odyssey RPG Ogre Island Omerta 3 Online Boxing Manager Onverse Order & Chaos Online Order of Magic Original Blood Origins Return Origins of Malu Orion's Belt Otherland Forums OverSoul Overkings Oz Online Oz World Pandora Saga Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Panzar Parabellum Parallel Kingdom Parfait Station Path of Exile Pathfinder Online Perfect World Perpetuum Online Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Universe Phoenix Dynasty Online Phylon Pi Story Picaroon Pirate Galaxy Pirate Storm Pirate101 PirateKing Online Pirates of the Burning Sea Pirates of the Caribbean Online Pixie Hollow Planeshift Planet Arkadia Planet Calypso PlanetSide 2 Planetside Planets³ Playboy Manager Pocket Legends Pockie Ninja Pockie Pirates Pockie Saints PoxNora Prime World Prime: Battle for Dominus Priston Tale Priston Tale II Prius Online Project Blackout Project Powder Project Titan Forums Project Wiki Puzzle Pirates Quickhit Football
R-S
R2 Online RAN Online RF Online ROSE Online Rage of 3 Kingdoms Ragnarok Online Ragnarok Online II RaiderZ Rakion Rappelz RappelzSEA Ravenmarch Realm Fighter Realm of the Mad God Realm of the Titans Realms Online Reclamation Red Stone Red War: Edem's Curse Regnum Online Remnant Knights Renaissance Repulse Requiem: Memento Mori Rift RiotZone Rise Rise of Dragonian Era Rise of Empire Rise of the Tycoon Rising of King Risk Your Life Rivality Rockfree Rohan: Blood Feud Role Play Worlds Roll n Rock Roma Victor Romadoria Rosh Online Roto X Rubies of Eventide Ruin Online Rumble Fighter Runes of Magic Runescape Rust Rusty Hearts Ryzom S4 League SAGA SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SMITE SUN Sagramore Salem SaySayGirls Scarlet Blade Scions of Fate Seal Online: Evolution Second Life Secret of the Solstice Seed Serenia Fantasy Seven Seas Saga Seven Souls Online Sevencore Shadow of Legend Shadowbane Shadowrun Online Shaiya Shards Online Shattered Galaxy Sho Online Shot Online Shroud of the Avatar SideQuest Siege on Stars Sigonyth: Desert Eternity Silkroad Online Skyblade Skyforge SmashMuck Champions Smoo Online Soldier Front Soul Master Soul Order Online Soul of Guardian Space Heroes Universe Sparta: War of Empires Spellcasters Sphere Spiral Knights Spirit Tales Splash Fighters Squad Wars Star Citizen Star Sonata 2 Star Stable Star Supremacy Star Trek Online Star Trek: Infinite Space Star Wars Galaxies Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Star Wars: The Old Republic StarQuest Online Stargate Worlds Starlight Story Starpires State of Decay SteelWar Online Stone Age 2 Stormfall: Age of War Storybricks Stronghold Kingdoms Sudden Attack Supremacy 1914 Supreme Destiny Sword Girls Sword of Destiny: Rise of Aions SwordX Swords of Heavens Swordsman
T-Z
TERA TS Online Tabula Rasa Tactica Online Tales Runner Tales of Fantasy Tales of Pirates Tales of Pirates II Tales of Solaris Talisman Online Tamer Saga Tank Ace Tantra Online Tatsumaki: Land at War Terra Militaris TerraWorld Online Thang Online The 4th Coming The Agency The Aurora World The Black Watchmen The Chronicle The Chronicles of Spellborn The Crew The Division The Hammers End The Legend of Ares The Lost Titans The Matrix Online The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot The Missing Ink The Mummy Online The Myth of Soma The Pride of Taern The Realm Online The Repopulation The Secret World The Sims Online The Strategems The West Theralon There Therian Saga Thrones of Chaos Tibia Tibia Micro Edition Tiger Knight Titan Siege Titans of Time Toontown Online Top Speed Topia Online Torchlight Total Domination Transformers Universe Traveller AR Travia Online Travian Trials of Ascension Tribal Hero Tribal Wars Tribes Universe Trickster Online Trove Troy Online True Fantasy Live Online Turf Battles Twelve Sky Twelve Sky 2 Twilight War Tynon U.B. Funkeys UFO Online URDEAD Online Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Ultima Online Ultima X: Odyssey Ultimate Naruto Ultimate Soccer Boss Uncharted Waters Online Undercover 2: Merc Wars Underlight Unification Wars Universe Online Utopia Valkyrie Sky Vampire Lord Online Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Vanquish Space Vector City Racers Vendetta Online Victory - Age of Racing Vindictus Virtonomics Vis Gladius Visions of Zosimos VoidExpanse Voyage Century Online W.E.L.L. Online WAR (Warhammer Online) WAR2 Glory WYD Global Wakfu War Thunder War of 2012 War of Angels War of Legends War of Mercenaries War of Thrones War of the Immortals WarFlow Waren Story Wargame1942 Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Warkeepers Warrior Epic Wartune WebLords Wild West Online WildStar Wind of Luck WindSlayer 2 Wings of Destiny Wish Wizard101 Wizardry Online Wizards and Champions Wonder King Wonderland Online World Golf Tour World of Battles World of Darkness World of Heroes World of Kung Fu World of Pirates World of Speed World of Tanks World of Tanks Generals World of Warcraft World of Warplanes World of Warships World of the Living Dead WorldAlpha Wurm Online Xenocell Xiah Xsyon Xulu YS Online Yitien ZU Online Zentia Zero Online Zero Online: The Andromeda Crisis Zodiac Online Zombies Ate My Pizza eRepublik

MMORPG.com Discussion Forums

Guild Wars 2

Guild Wars 2 

General Discussion  » GW2 Should never be released

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
145 posts found
  waynejr2

Elite Member

Joined: 4/12/11
Posts: 3733

RIP City of Heroes!

1/06/12 2:49:28 PM#41
Originally posted by Lobotomist

I said it many times before : Most MMOs are victims of its own long development time.

 - By When development starts - MMO features are out of this world

 - By time they announce they are working on it - MMO features are revolutionary

 - By time they enter last 6 month of dev - MMO features are allready present in 1-2 games just released

 - By time MMO is released - everyone is sick of those features allready and wants something new

 

Last year GW2 seemed like amazing super revolutionary MMO. Now its allready ey-ok "but Archeage will be the bomb"

 

Same went with SWTOR, if they released it last year - none of this hate and failure would happen. They just waited too long.

 

My hope Anet will not make same mistake, and april release is well : 1 minute to last train...

 

You make good points there.  It's the marketing machine trying to build interest as soon as they can.  Perhaps we are starting to really notice the backlash of this.  What if they waited until they started closed beta (6months) before release to announce the game at all?  If the game is great, word of mouth will do wonders.

 

  Creslin321

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 2/27/09
Posts: 5424

1/06/12 2:52:12 PM#42
Originally posted by Savageone
Originally posted by Unlight

And in the meantime we have to settle for schlock like SWTOR?  No thanks.  Give me the game and let the needy find another MMO messiah to pine for.

And when GW2 comes out, all the haters will trash it just like they did RIFT, SWTOR....etc......

 

nothing new, move along

 Probably.  But it's not what you think.

There will inevitably be a group of people that don't like GW2...I'm pretty much sure of this.  I mean, we already know there are folks that are mad there are no raids in GW2, or that there is fast travel, so the game isn't going to appeal to every single person.

Some of these people will likely come to the forums and start to trash the game.  So I can't disagree, there will be trashing of this game when it is released.

The flaw in your reasoning is when you say "the haters."  There seems to be this belief that there is a group of roving MMORPG marauders (the haters) that are dissatisfied with any MMORPG and make it their mission in life to trash every MMORPG that comes out.

I really don't think that's the case.  Most folks here that are psyched about the game will probably like it in my estimation.  And a lot of these folks are probably psyched for GW2 because they are looking for something different.  So you may see them "hating" on current games that give more of the same.  This does not mean they are a "hater" destined to never be satisified and cursed with hating on every game that will ever come out.

There will be individuals that don't like GW2, but that's all they are...individuals.

Take a note of all the folks you see on here that are psyched for GW2 but are "haters" of other games.  I doubt that you will see most of them come back and trash GW2.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

  User Deleted
1/06/12 2:55:32 PM#43
Originally posted by Sephastus

"You should never meet your hero." - Paul Newman

It is impossible for this game to live up to the hype it has generated. It has been romanticized to a fault, and the expectations people have put on it go way beyond what a game can pull.

You will not wake up twitching to try to get your dose of GW2. You will not sleep better because of your accomplishments in game. You will not give up your job, family, friends and physical well-being just to get in a few more hours of game time.

The prior example was just an exageration to put "hype" into perspective. The ultimate game should be able to completely suck you in to the point that you do just what I have stated before without even realizing it. Like the most intense of drugs, it should make you do things you wouldn't normally do. That is the type of stuff that WoW did to many in the gaming community... check out WoW's current hype... Then come look at GW2's hype and tell me you expect it to do better than that.

All that aside, the real reason it should not release is because of the quote I did before: You NEED to have an ultimate goal as to what you want a game to be. A holy grail of gaming to come (but that never materializes). Once GW2 releases, the disappointments accross the board are going to be increadibly large. The bugs, the exploits, the cheats, the gankings, the unfair advantages, the tweaks, the nerfs... IOW, the REALITY of MMORPG gaming will kick in. While its in development you can easily ignore all those things and make the game to be the best that will ever come out. But once it is out, its all over. No pleasant feeling of an upcoming game, no daydreaming of how the PvP will go, ...

GW2 should stay in development ad-infinum just to keep the gaming community hoping for a good game in the future, in order for them to not realize that their current gaming is about as good as things will ever get and not drop into a gaming depression. Having a "goal" keeps the MMORPG gaming community healthy as they continually try to find justifications for why their current or future or prior game was the best there ever was/is/will be.


Next, I bet you'll tell us that Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny aren't real.

  Ouriel

Apprentice Member

Joined: 3/25/10
Posts: 72

1/06/12 2:59:38 PM#44


Originally posted by Homitu

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by Master10K The funny thing is that a lot of us GW2 fans don't see this game as the Messaiah of MMORPGs, that will appear once every 2 millenia, to save us and this genre as a whole. No. Most of us are here in support of this game because we heard about this crazy company making an MMORPG, with some lofty ideas; then we watched & some even experienced the gameplay only to discover that all those lofty ideas are actually in the game and working before beta.   This isn't a game that's hyped based purely on the devs word of mouth with nothing to back it up. This is hype based on the devs word of mouth with dozens or journalists and thousands of gameplay videos and impressions to back it up. So yeah, let the game release and I welcome the sh*t storm from all the naysayers like yourself OP, because I will be enjoying a good game, just like I'm enjoying playing The Witcher 2 right now.
 QFT. I have seen many more anti-GW2 folks claim that GW2 fans think GW2 is the messiah than I have seen GW2 fans actually claim that it is the messiah. It's such a stupid argument.  It's basically like "Those GW2's are really grating on my nerves with all their positivity.  I really want to say something negative about GW2 but I really can't think of anything good to say..." "Wait I know!  I'll just tell those fans that no matter how good GW2 is, it will never live up to their expectations!" "Muwahahaha!!!  I am a GENIUS!"
I'm inclined to agree with these posts. For the most part, at least on these boards, people seem to have pretty realistic expectations.  I've heard the most hardcore fans say that they intend to play the game for a few months at a time, and that they're not worried if it doesn't hold their interest for extended periods because there's no subscription fee. 

I have to disagree with you there(the marked text). Especially after reading most of the SWTOR posts and how biased the members on this forum are and they are far from realistic. I know I don't have many posts, but I... I just don't post on the forums much, just read them.

However, most of the game are being overhyped by some people and exaggerate with what the developers are saying or they are misinterpreting them and when the game is being released, they are whining because what they expected was not there because they imagined it differently.

Other thing that is worth mentioning is the "WoW killer", made by the people itself who it will be the next big thing and are exaggerating and when it that game releases and it does not meet their imaginary expectations they change their mind and start calling it a failure. It really piss me off and I sometimes wish I could just get a gun and shot them all. Even tho this has nothing to do with the post itself, I just... wanted to say it.
 

The hype Guild Wars 2 generated is rightfully claimed because everything they said was in the game 'cept for the WvWvW PvP. Many people were happy by what was represented on GamesCom, ComicCon and other events.
And most of the time, it's people's fault for making some games "WoW killers" or the saviour of the games, it's not the developers fault(not always), but most of the time for big games, is people's fault.

  Kaneth

Elite Member

Joined: 8/19/07
Posts: 1569

1/06/12 3:00:44 PM#45

Ehhhhh.....I'm not so certain that many people have the messiah idea when they talk about GW2. ANet is making a truly different type of mmo in GW2, so the development commentary from the mmo crowd is going to be very different, and we've pretty much have only seen generally positive comments from those who have been lucky enough to play at a con.

GW2 is different enough that we don't have a lot of previous examples to compare the game to. There's no quest hubs that have NPC's with ! and ? over their heads. Overworld "questing" is based around Dynamic Events, which really hasn't been experienced before. Sure WAR had public quests, but dynamic events are just a more realized vision of what PQ's should have been. I do get the feeling that the personal storyline will be fairly linear with simplistic A vs. B choices to vary the experience a bit.

I guess the bottom line is that ANet is doing what other mmo companies should have done. First, take their time to polish their game, and secondly, make their game unique. Any other game had unique ideas, but didn't have enough balls to completely deviate away from the wow themepark style gameplay.

  Gamecritic

Novice Member

Joined: 12/16/11
Posts: 38

1/06/12 3:01:57 PM#46

 

Who cares about the hype? the game will be more enjoyable and far more succesful than SWTOR and at least we won't be paying for it each month. The game so far looks good sounds good but like every game you gotta try it before you decide.

 

  Creslin321

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 2/27/09
Posts: 5424

1/06/12 3:04:41 PM#47
Originally posted by Ouriel

 


Originally posted by Homitu

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by Master10K The funny thing is that a lot of us GW2 fans don't see this game as the Messaiah of MMORPGs, that will appear once every 2 millenia, to save us and this genre as a whole. No. Most of us are here in support of this game because we heard about this crazy company making an MMORPG, with some lofty ideas; then we watched & some even experienced the gameplay only to discover that all those lofty ideas are actually in the game and working before beta.   This isn't a game that's hyped based purely on the devs word of mouth with nothing to back it up. This is hype based on the devs word of mouth with dozens or journalists and thousands of gameplay videos and impressions to back it up. So yeah, let the game release and I welcome the sh*t storm from all the naysayers like yourself OP, because I will be enjoying a good game, just like I'm enjoying playing The Witcher 2 right now.
 QFT. I have seen many more anti-GW2 folks claim that GW2 fans think GW2 is the messiah than I have seen GW2 fans actually claim that it is the messiah. It's such a stupid argument.  It's basically like "Those GW2's are really grating on my nerves with all their positivity.  I really want to say something negative about GW2 but I really can't think of anything good to say..." "Wait I know!  I'll just tell those fans that no matter how good GW2 is, it will never live up to their expectations!" "Muwahahaha!!!  I am a GENIUS!"
I'm inclined to agree with these posts. For the most part, at least on these boards, people seem to have pretty realistic expectations.  I've heard the most hardcore fans say that they intend to play the game for a few months at a time, and that they're not worried if it doesn't hold their interest for extended periods because there's no subscription fee. 

I have to disagree with you there(the marked text). Especially after reading most of the SWTOR posts and how biased the members on this forum are and they are far from realistic. I know I don't have many posts, but I... I just don't post on the forums much, just read them.

 

However, most of the game are being overhyped by some people and exaggerate with what the developers are saying or they are misinterpreting them and when the game is being released, they are whining because what they expected was not there because they imagined it differently.

Other thing that is worth mentioning is the "WoW killer", made by the people itself who it will be the next big thing and are exaggerating and when it that game releases and it does not meet their imaginary expectations they change their mind and start calling it a failure. It really piss me off and I sometimes wish I could just get a gun and shot them all. Even tho this has nothing to do with the post itself, I just... wanted to say it.
 

The hype Guild Wars 2 generated is rightfully claimed because everything they said was in the game 'cept for the WvWvW PvP. Many people were happy by what was represented on GamesCom, ComicCon and other events.
And most of the time, it's people's fault for making some games "WoW killers" or the saviour of the games, it's not the developers fault(not always), but most of the time for big games, is people's fault.

 I agree with what you write, but you should post a little more to let some of that aggression out :)!

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

  altairr

Apprentice Member

Joined: 4/14/09
Posts: 81

1/06/12 3:07:38 PM#48
Originally posted by Lobotomist

I said it many times before : Most MMOs are victims of its own long development time.

 - By When development starts - MMO features are out of this world

 - By time they announce they are working on it - MMO features are revolutionary

 - By time they enter last 6 month of dev - MMO features are allready present in 1-2 games just released

 - By time MMO is released - everyone is sick of those features allready and wants something new

 

Last year GW2 seemed like amazing super revolutionary MMO. Now its allready ey-ok "but Archeage will be the bomb"

 

Same went with SWTOR, if they released it last year - none of this hate and failure would happen. They just waited too long.

 

My hope Anet will not make same mistake, and april release is well : 1 minute to last train...

 

As the Lobotomist said here, Archeage will take lots of GW2 players, if it will be free-to-play ( it is not yet decided ). But Anyway Guild Wars 2 will be the great game, and the policy they have chosen for advertising and so on ( things that you have mentioned ) is up on them and people ( the game consumers ) . Let the release come and after 1-2 months we will see how successful GW2 will be

  Puremallace

Novice Member

Joined: 2/02/11
Posts: 1929

1/06/12 3:08:58 PM#49

I do have to agree with the OP. GW2 should remain this myth I hear about in Rift on how their dynamic content will just blow Rifts away. The Rift is dying because of GW2 threads will surely be missed.

 

 

  QSatu

Apprentice Member

Joined: 10/14/06
Posts: 1765

1/06/12 3:12:27 PM#50

I'm afraid GW2 doesn't have that much hype outside mmorpg fandom. I think SWTOR is much more famous and know around the whole gaming market. So even if GW2 might not live to the expectations of it's fans, it can easilly surpass expectations of all those people who didn't play 1st part or many other mmos.

And Archage won;t take players from gW2 =P Archage is a completely no name game. They will have to fight hard to gather big following. And afterall GW2 will still be a themepark game while Archage want to lure all those sandbox loving players.

  User Deleted
1/06/12 3:13:29 PM#51
Originally posted by Master10K

The funny thing is that a lot of us GW2 fans don't see this game as the Messaiah of MMORPGs, that will appear once every 2 millenia, to save us and this genre as a whole. No. Most of us are here in support of this game because we heard about this crazy company making an MMORPG, with some lofty ideas; then we watched & some even experienced the gameplay only to discover that all those lofty ideas are actually in the game and working before beta.

 

This isn't a game that's hyped based purely on the devs word of mouth with nothing to back it up. This is hype based on the devs word of mouth with dozens or journalists and thousands of gameplay videos and impressions to back it up. So yeah, let the game release and I welcome the sh*t storm from all the naysayers like yourself OP, because I will be enjoying a good game, just like I'm enjoying playing The Witcher 2 right now.

I was going to write my own reply, but this say's it all!

I am hyped for this game because I like what I have seen and I KNOW I will be having a BLAST playing GW2. I will probably end up playing nothing else for a long while!

GW2 is not the savior of MMO's... it's just the game I have been waiting for!

  Creslin321

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 2/27/09
Posts: 5424

1/06/12 3:16:41 PM#52
Originally posted by TwilightEdge

I'm afraid GW2 doesn't have that much hype outside mmorpg fandom. I think SWTOR is much more famous and know around the whole gaming market. So even if GW2 might not live to the expectations of it's fans, it can easilly surpass expectations of all those people who didn't play 1st part or many other mmos.

 If by MMORPG-fandom you are referring to the MMORPG market in general...then that's pretty big.  Over 10 milllion for sure.  SWTOR has done very well so far (1.7 million or something), but their numbers fall WELL within the MMORPG market-space.

I really don't think GW2 has to reach beyond the MMORPG market to be wildly successful.  This may have been true in 2004, but now the MMORPG market is MASSIVE.  And if you have a lot of awareness within that market, you can do really well.

And really, WoW is constantly making the MMORPG-market bigger by barraging normal gamers and even non-gamers with TV-ads.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

  Avanah

Hard Core Member

Joined: 9/18/04
Posts: 861

1/06/12 3:21:01 PM#53
Originally posted by Sephastus

"You should never meet your hero." - Paul Newman

It is impossible for this game to live up to the hype it has generated. It has been romanticized to a fault, and the expectations people have put on it go way beyond what a game can pull.

You will not wake up twitching to try to get your dose of GW2. You will not sleep better because of your accomplishments in game. You will not give up your job, family, friends and physical well-being just to get in a few more hours of game time.

The prior example was just an exageration to put "hype" into perspective. The ultimate game should be able to completely suck you in to the point that you do just what I have stated before without even realizing it. Like the most intense of drugs, it should make you do things you wouldn't normally do. That is the type of stuff that WoW did to many in the gaming community... check out WoW's current hype... Then come look at GW2's hype and tell me you expect it to do better than that.

All that aside, the real reason it should not release is because of the quote I did before: You NEED to have an ultimate goal as to what you want a game to be. A holy grail of gaming to come (but that never materializes). Once GW2 releases, the disappointments accross the board are going to be increadibly large. The bugs, the exploits, the cheats, the gankings, the unfair advantages, the tweaks, the nerfs... IOW, the REALITY of MMORPG gaming will kick in. While its in development you can easily ignore all those things and make the game to be the best that will ever come out. But once it is out, its all over. No pleasant feeling of an upcoming game, no daydreaming of how the PvP will go, ...

GW2 should stay in development ad-infinum just to keep the gaming community hoping for a good game in the future, in order for them to not realize that their current gaming is about as good as things will ever get and not drop into a gaming depression. Having a "goal" keeps the MMORPG gaming community healthy as they continually try to find justifications for why their current or future or prior game was the best there ever was/is/will be.

Spoken like a True WoW Fanboi!!

BTW...LoL (League of Legends) has already De-throned WoW.  GW2 is your least concern. I quit WoW 7 months ago (Played since Beta) and I never looked back nor will I.

There really is no need to start a Topic to defend an AGING MMO.

Carry on and see you in GW2 when it releases. :)

TGIF...Thank God I'm Female

"Those with the most Opinions tend to have the fewest Facts"

  Omnifish

Advanced Member

Joined: 2/16/11
Posts: 615

I'll kick your a**e so hard, you could build a swimming pool in the footprint!

1/06/12 3:42:08 PM#54

I understand what your trying to say OP. There are posts/threads about how great GW2 is going to be on these forums.  Threads like, 'Whats the best thing about GW2?', and plenty of fans reaming off lists of promised features from ANET.

 

It's a bit like religion, your creado is clearly right and damm the rest because anything that critises that is clearly wrong :P

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

  eyelolled

Advanced Member

Joined: 5/13/10
Posts: 3086

I am more than some of my parts

1/06/12 3:49:13 PM#55

I am going to be bored with GW2. I'm going to be looking for a different game to replace it, that offers all sorts of new things that I don't even realize that I want yet. This will happen after I've played it enough to feel I've had great value from my investment. I'm going to be glad that I bought GW2 and all the subsequent expansions. I don't think I expect too much out of GW2, just that it's going to be worthwhile.   I can't say the same about any other mmo on the horizon but I'm still looking forward to others as well.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

  semantikron

Novice Member

Joined: 11/26/07
Posts: 260

1/06/12 3:49:32 PM#56

hmmm...  if a game wakes us up from our need to search for the MMO Messiah, and makes us realize that the answer was inside us all along....  does that make it the MMO MesSIAHHHH?????!!!!  HOLY CRAP DUDE

 

On the other hand, I wonder if GW2 will be fun to play.  I'm thinking, yeah, it will.  Sign me up yesterday.

Charr: Outta my way.
Human: What's your problem?
Charr: Your thin skin.

  RizelStar

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/12/11
Posts: 2823

We all breathe and we all die.

1/06/12 4:03:10 PM#57
Originally posted by Omnifish

I understand what your trying to say OP. There are posts/threads about how great GW2 is going to be on these forums.  Threads like, 'Whats the best thing about GW2?', and plenty of fans reaming off lists of promised features from ANET.

 

It's a bit like religion, your creado is clearly right and damm the rest because anything that critises that is clearly wrong :P

But the features are there?

INB4 you ask have I played it, I have, PVP and PVE, alongside friends.

 

But ok think that way.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

  Serelisk

Novice Member

Joined: 8/02/11
Posts: 845

1/06/12 4:16:03 PM#58
Originally posted by Omnifish

I understand what your trying to say OP. There are posts/threads about how great GW2 is going to be on these forums.  Threads like, 'Whats the best thing about GW2?', and plenty of fans reaming off lists of promised features from ANET.

 

It's a bit like religion, your creado is clearly right and damm the rest because anything that critises that is clearly wrong :P

It could sort of be like that, yeah...

 

...if each person to visit the prophet or deity of that religion got a 40 minute demonstration of multiple miracles and these were captured on film and placed on the largest accessible source of information in existence. ;P

  Konyak

Novice Member

Joined: 7/02/11
Posts: 158

1/06/12 4:34:13 PM#59

When it lives up to the hype, people like the OP will change their tune. Simple as that.

  Homitu

Hard Core Member

Joined: 10/01/09
Posts: 2040

1/06/12 4:48:03 PM#60
Originally posted by TwilightEdge

I'm afraid GW2 doesn't have that much hype outside mmorpg fandom. I think SWTOR is much more famous and know around the whole gaming market. So even if GW2 might not live to the expectations of it's fans, it can easilly surpass expectations of all those people who didn't play 1st part or many other mmos.

That's a valid point.  I think we forum browsers sometimes forget just how significant a minority we are.  Even many avid MMO players don't necessarily know what GW2 is yet.  The very few who actually frequent forums such as these, and people who actively seek out video game information almost certainly do, but those players are a minority, even within the gaming population.  Given that our own perception is filtered through this forum-going perspective, it's really impossible to say exactly what others' perception of the matter is.  What I do know is that I constantly have to explain what GW2 is and why I'm looking forward to it to my gaming friends. 

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search